• Published 9th Dec 2013
  • 1,325 Views, 41 Comments

Elemental ReSearch - RadicalDishonesty



Twilight Sparkle has disappeared, leaving Spike alone, and Equestria vulnerable. Spike then sets out for Twilight's Institute for Magical Research to find a new Element of Magic.

  • ...
4
 41
 1,325

Recollection - Closing Doors

Green slitted eyes peered out from the bushes beside the Ponyville Train Station. The skies were clear, the sun was shining, and the birds were chirping. ‘Perfect day to catch a villain,’ Spike thought.

It was easy to convince Twilight to give me some time off. I remember back when she’d need my help all the time, I couldn’t get time off with anything less than a note from Celestia! But now it’s just a little excuse and she’s willing to give me some time off. She doesn’t need me anymore, after all.

His ear frills fell a bit. “No, come on, Spike,” he whispered to himself, slapping his face lightly. “You already worked that out. You’re not just her assistant, you’re her friend. And now you’re doing what any friend would do: spy on her buisness-noble-contact… somepony for her own good.” He gave himself a reassuring nod.

A train whistle snapped him to attention. ‘Okay. The 1:25 came from the northeast. That’s–’ He crawled over to his train schedule and map ‘–the express from Manehattan? He didn’t come in from Canterlot?

“Be careful with those.” Blueblood’s voice rang out. “They are important.”

“Y-yes, sir,” a young voice stammered.

Spike returned to his vantage point in the bush, peering out. He saw Blueblood standing next to a gray pegasus colt with bright orange hair, the colt laden with paperwork and scrolls. Blueblood glared at the younger pony and cleared his throat.

“I-I mean, Your Highness.”

Blueblood gave what he probably thought was a gracious nod, and the colt shied away, wearing a tiny smile. Spike scrunched up his face. ‘Ugh.

“Now–” Blueblood levitated a stack of papers off of his assistant’s bags, only barely lessening the load “–I am going to meet with Princess Sparkle. Wait here and ensure these documents are secure, and if I need more of them I shall return to get them.”

“Yes, your highness,” the colt said.

Spike wrinkled his nose. ‘Y’know, I’m sure Twilight wouldn’t mind a paperwork-laden assistant wandering around the library. Celestia knows I do it often enough myself.

Blueblood trotted away, and Spike was left watching the colt. The colt hesitantly hoisted his saddlebags onto a nearby table, exposing his notably blank flank and a pair of wings at his side.

Spike watched the colt look around nervously, and set his head down on the table. ‘This is my chance. A colt, nervous and alone, perfect to interrogate or steal some of those papers from so I can figure out Blueblood’s nefarious plan.

Spike stumbled out of the bushes, and steeled himself. He puffed himself up as big as he could make himself, and stamped over to the table with the colt. “You there!” he said in his most commanding voice.

The colt jumped with a start, and twisted around. “A-a dragon!”

“That’s right! And I demand you tell me what Blueblood is doing here.”

“H-he’s meeting with the Princess.”

Spike huffed and rolled his eyes, losing his menacing pose for a moment. “I know that already.” He puffed himself back up. “I mean what are his plans for the Princess?” he boomed (as much as a young dragon could.)

“I-I-I don’t know,” the colt stammered, shrinking under Spike’s gaze.

“Are you sure? I am a ferocious fire-breathing dragon!” Spike puffed a small green flame into the air above him. He brandished his claws menacingly, ready to pounce. “I think you know more than you’re telling me,” he growled.

“I-i-it’s a big secret. I don’t even know what most of these papers are for.” The colt threw himself on his hindlegs’s knees and bowed low. “He hasn’t told me I just don’t know please don’t hurt me.”

Spike growled and stepped to the table. “Then just step aside, and I’ll look at them.”

The colt’s head snapped up. “W-wh… N-no,” he whispered.

Spike stepped back once. “W-what?”

“I won’t,” he said, with tears in the corner of his eyes. He rose up a bit, putting himself between Spike and the papers, his wings partially flared out . “E-even if you’re a ferocious dragon. I’ve been given just one job, to protect these papers. And I won’t let Prince Blueblood down! I’m gonna be a good assistant!”

Spike stepped back again. He stared into the colt’s eyes, which were filled with conviction even as they were tearing up. ‘He’s just trying to be a good assistant… like I would be. Even if his boss is a jerk.’ His ear frills fell down and he deflated. “Y-yeah… you’re doing a pretty good job…”

The colt’s ears stood up in confusion.

“Y-yeah,” Spike continued. “You’ve passed the uh… assistant’s test. That I was giving you now.”

The colt’s posture relaxed. “It was all a test? Really?”

Spike looked down and wrung his claws. “No,” he admitted. He perked up with forced enthusiasm. “But it sure sounded good, right!”

The colt frowned. “No.”

The two of them stared at each other for a moment. Spike broke the silence. “I’m sorry… let me make it up to you. Do you like cupcakes?”

The colt tensed up and eyed Spike warily. “...Yeah. I like cupcakes.”

“There’s a great place nearby for ‘em.” Spike turned around and started walking toward Sugarcube Corner. “Come on, let’s go.”

The colt backed up to the table. “I’ve got to protect these papers.”

“So bring ‘em with us.”

The colt eyed Spike warily. “You’re trying to trick me. You’re gonna lead me somewhere where it’s easier to steal them. Or distract me with sweets. Or go all dragon on me.”

Spike waved his hands in a panic. “No, it’s not like that! I’m trying to apologize for going all dragon on you! I promise I won’t look at the papers.”

The colt didn’t move from his spot, keeping his eye on Spike.

“Look I… I’ll even Pinkie Promise. Watch.”

Spike recited the Pinkie Promise, ending with smashing an imaginary cupcake on his eye.

“What was that?”

“Oh, um… it’s a really serious promise. If I break it I could lose a friend.”

The colt tilted his head, a bewildered look briefly overtaking his outraged one.

Oh.. yeah. I just met this colt. Losing a friend isn’t really a threat.’ “Uh… it’d be bad. Worse than a breaking a regular one.”

“Oh…” The colt glared at Spike.“...Okay.” He turned around and began the slow process of attaching his saddlebags.

Spike tapped his foot as the colt continued to fumble with his saddlebags. He frowned and stepped toward the the colt. “Hey, let me help?”

The colt flinched away. “N-no. I’ll get it.”

Spike stepped back again and his ear frills fell. ‘He’s… still a little scared of me.

The colt finished putting on his saddlebags and collecting the fallen papers. He nodded to Spike. “Alright. Go ahead.”

“Y-yeah. It’s not very far.”

The two walked in silence through the Ponyville’s beautiful sunny day. It wasn’t for very long though, Sugarcube Corner was just down the street.

Spike cleared his throat. “Here it is! Sugarcube Corner! The tastiest, pastriest shop in all of Ponyville!”

Spike swore he could have seen a moment of wonder in the gray colt’s eyes, but it was quickly replaced with caution. He nodded at the door, indicating that Spike should go first. Spike smiled flimsily, and proceeded inside to the counter.

Pinkie Pie was watching the counter. She waved excitedly at Spike, and he grinned. ‘Perfect.’

He sauntered up to the counter, putting his elbow on it and giving a smarmy smile. “Pinkie, can I get a couple of cupcakes for myself and my new friend here? It’s his first time in Ponyville,” he said with a significant wink.

Pinkie’s smile grew wider, as did her eyes. “Really?!” The colt’s eyes also widened, and he backed up a little. She hopped over the counter to hover over the colt. “It’s your first ever time in Ponyville?!”

“Y-yes,” he squeaked.

“And you’re Spike’s new friend?!”

“Um… yes?”

“And you like to party?!”

“Y-yeah…”

Pinkie Pie squealed. “Oh, this is the bestest thing! I haven’t thrown a Welcome to Ponyville Party in eighteen and a half days! Ooh there’s gonna be streamers and banners and cupcakes! I have to go get ready!”

“W-wait!” he cried.

Pinkie stopped.

“I’m not going to be here very long. There’s no time for a–” Pinkie Pie hopped off into the back room “–party.”

The colt looked around for his guide. Spike waved to him from a table, and motioned to the open seat opposite him. The colt tentatively took a seat.

“... Okay, what was that?” the colt asked.

“Pinkie Pie,” Spike stated.

The colt blinked at Spike. “That doesn’t answer my question.”

“Sure it does!”

“That doesn’t helpfully answer my question.”

“Oh… no it probably doesn’t. If you’re looking for an explanation you might be out of luck. Twilight tried that once. It didn’t go well.”

“So, that’s the second time you mentioned Twi?” He was interrupted by a loud squeak and a rain of confetti and streamers. A song rang out.

I welcome you to Ponyville and I am here to say,

I hope that you enjoy our town before you go away

But even though you can’t stay long,

I hope that you enjoy my song,

And have a super special happy daaaaay.

Yay!

The colt looked on in astonishment as Pinkie bounced around him, singing her song. She sat down beside the table and produced an orange cupcake. She set it down gently on the table. “For a little visit–” she nudged it toward him “–a little party.”

The colt smiled hesitantly, and took a bite out of the cupcake. His eyes lit up and he messily stuffed the rest in his face. Pinkie Pie’s smile widened.

“I’m glad you like it!”

“Fank fuu,” he said.

There was the sound of a bell and Pinkie’s ears perked up. “Oops! I’m supposed to be watching the counter. Bye!” She hopped away.

Spike watched the colt chew his overstuffed mouth with a knowing smile. The colt noticed. His enthusiastic chewing slowed and he visibly swallowed.

Spike took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and bowed his head. “I’m sorry for scaring you when you came into town.”

The colt eyed Spike. “Why did you do it?”

Spike sighed. “I was worried about Twilight. I don’t think Blueblood has good intentions with her.”

The colt frowned. “I don’t think he’s planning anything bad.”

“But you don’t know that.”

“... No. Why do you care? Who are you?”

Spike smiled and puffed his chest out in pride. “I’m Spike! Princess Twilight Sparkle’s number one assistant!”

The colt’s eyes widened and his tense posture relaxed. He composed himself and said, “I’m Able Wing, Prince Blueblood’s assistant.”

He held out his hoof with a smile on his face.

Spike smiled back, balled his claw up into a fist, and bumped his hoof.


“You’re his cousin? So you’re royalty too?”

“Um… no, my dad’s a count.”

“Ohhh… that’s still pretty impressive. So what’s a future count doing working as an assistant?” Spike teased.

“What’s a ferocious dragon doing working as an assistant?” Able Wing retorted with a smirk.

Spike puffed up his chest. “The best job. I’m the number one assistant for a reason.”

Able Wing laughed. “My older sister’s going to be countess when she grows up. I’m not being groomed for leadership.”

“Oh… well that just means you’re free to pursue your own special talent, right?”

Able Wing looked back at his flank, bare of any cutie mark. “Maybe if I actually had a special talent. Twelve is too old to not know it yet. Mom sent me with Blueblood to ‘broaden my horizons.’ I’m probably just sent to him because he got a late cutie mark too.”

Spike smiled sympathetically. “Are you sure it’s not something staring you in the face? Because there are these three fillies whose special talents are totally obvious but they don’t have–”

There was a slam of the door, and Prince Blueblood stormed in.

“Able Wing!” he roared.

“S-sir!” Able said.

“That’s ‘Your Highness’,” Blueblood growled. “Where have you been?”

“I-I was just–”

“Not waiting for me at the train station,” Blueblood spat. “There are documents I require and you were unavailable. I have been scouring Ponyville only to find that you have been lazing about here in a PASTRY SHOP.”

The door opened again, and Twilight trotted in. “Oh. Is this your assistant? I guess we should call off the search, then.”

Blueblood straightened up. “Yes. Against my direct instruction he is lazing about with your assistant here.”

Able and Spike both shrunk down in their seats.

Twilight cocked her head. “Spike? Is this the ‘important thing’ you needed to take care of today?”

Spike shrunk down further into his seat. “N-not really. It just sorta… came up.”

“This is unacceptable,” Blueblood shrieked, his eyes were pinpricks. “You would disrespect me like this Able? I will have you sent back to your–”

“W-wait!” Spike interrupted.

Blueblood ceased shouting, breathing heavily.

“It… was my idea. I took him from the train station here. Pinkie always throws parties for new ponies… I thought it would be nice.”

Blueblood grimaced at Spike, and opened his mouth to continue his berating, when Twilight laid a hoof on Blueblood’s shoulder. “Blueblood. Can we speak for a minute? Alone?”

Blueblood glared at Twilight for a moment. “Y-yes.” He took a deep breath and composed himself. “Of course.” He followed Twilight outside.

“This is your fault,” Able Wing mumbled.

“I guess,” Spike said. “I don’t see what the big deal is.”

“I wasn’t there when he needed me. My only responsibility was to have these papers available and I wasn’t.”

“Well… no, it wasn’t perfect. But what’s the harm in getting a cupcake?”

“Blueblood asks for perfection! He’s going to send me back to my parents and they’re going to... I don’t even know! This was my last chance!”

“Relax. I’m sure Twilight has it handled. Trust me.”

Able fidgeted. “I hope you’re right.”

The time passed in silence, Able Wing staring at the decorations and Spike swinging his feet. Then Pinkie hopped in.

“Hey! Why is everyone all saddy? I thought this was supposed to be a party!”

“Sorry, Pinkie,” Spike said. “We’re tensely waiting for Twilight and Blueblood to come back.”

“Ohh. Okay, I’ll leave you to that. Have fun!” She hopped off.

Spike noticed Able staring at him in disbelief. “What?”

Blueblood entered Sugarcube Corner with Twilight in tow. He approached Able Wing and loomed over him. Able met his eyes, before looking down and staring at the ground.

“You have disobeyed my direct orders,” Blueblood stated harshly.

Able Wing cringed.

“However, the stakes were unimportant, and beyond my own personal inconvenience, there were no repercussions. So, your repercussions will be similar. This time.”

The pegasus colt melted in relief.

“But in the future I expect you to follow my instructions to the letter.”

Twilight cleared her throat behind him.

Blueblood looked back and caught Twilight’s glance. He rolled his eyes. “And I will make an attempt to not inconvenience you with my instructions if at all possible.”

Twilight smiled and nodded.

Able Wing fell to his knees in relief. “Thank you, Your Highness,” he said in a quiet voice.

Blueblood turned to him, his eyes losing their harshness. His chin rose and he positively beamed, looking down on his assistant with his best smugly benevolent expression.

Spike fought back the urge to gag.

Blueblood levitated the document-laden saddlebags onto his assistant. “These should include the documents I was referring to. Shall we return to the library to discuss?”

“Let’s.”

Blueblood trotted out of Sugarcube Corner, head held high. “Well, Able, don’t dawdle,” he said.

The pegasus colt scampered behind him.

Twilight watched the two of them leave her alone with her assistant, a satisfied smile on her face.

“That went well,” she said.

Spike raised an eyebrow. “Were we watching the same conversation? Even when he was being ‘nice’, Blueblood barely backed off, mostly because you told him to.”

“I think Blueblood made some significant strides today.”

“So he wasn’t already a complete gentlecolt?” Spike said mischieviously.

“I’m saying he’s definitely putting in an effort. I mean, is it so hard to believe he could be a better pony? We’ve seen worse reform. I know you haven’t forgotten Discord.”

“Twi, if Discord is our example of reformation, we’re setting the bar pretty low.”

Twilight gently nudged Spike. “Oh, hush.”

Spike chuckled to himself. “Well, let’s get to the library before he decides to enact his devilish plan to be an entitled jerk to his assistant.”


Spike stared at the tiny basket at his feet. 'I'm not going to fit in this. Why not? I fit in the basket in Ponyville. I guess… we did get a new one in Ponyville. Did she get a larger one? I would have remembered if she was replacing my baskets when I was getting taller… right?


... But she talked with Celestia about a new student, without me. And worked on the institute for nearly a year without telling me. I thought I knew everything about her. Was there more she wasn’t telling me?


Spike decided to collapse on the bed. ‘I hate feeling this way. Twilight was my rock, and I was her support, right? We were a team for as long as I could remember. So what if there were some arguments? Nopony gets along all the time. And so what if she didn’t share everything with me? I didn’t share everything with her. I snuck around for a while spying on Blueblood. If she was hiding something from me, or omitted it, it was probably for my own good.

He shifted on the bed to get comfortable. ‘I’ve just been getting too little sleep, and now I hear something mildly shocking from Celestia and I’m all suspicious of Twilight.’ He chuckled to himself. ‘Silly.’ He sighed.

There was knocking on the door to his room. Spike groaned and walked to it.

A royal guard stood stoically at the door. Although… for a stoic guard he seemed even more surly than usual.

“Outta the way!” a shrill voice came from behind the guard.

He languidly shuffled aside, revealing a light blue filly. Dawn Gleam’s eyes were locked on Spike, and shining with excitement. She was still pretty young, slightly shorter than Spike was.

Spike sighed. “Can I help you?”

“Yes. I am Dawn Gleam,” she said.

“I know,” Spike said flatly. “What–”

“You’re Spike. You were Twilight Sparkle’s dragon.”

Spike frowned. “You make it sound like she own–”

“And I know why you’re here!” she very nearly sang, and pointed at him. “You’re gonna be my dragon, now!”

Spike paused for a second. He said, “I’m still thinking about it.”

Her excited expression fell. “What? What’s there to think about?”

“What’s there not to think about? Coming back to the castle is a big decision!”

“No, it’s not. Look at it logically,” she trotted into the room. The guard followed.

“You get to live in the most opulent city in Equestria, instead of podunk Ponyville, and you get to do something important, instead of whatever you do if you’re not a farmer in a farm village. Which is nothing, I guess.”

Spike glowered at her. “Ponyville has a lot of different sorts of things going on.”

“Yeah, but none of them are of any importance except farming. Ponies still have to eat.”

Spike glared at Dawn. “Rarity lives in Ponyville. You know, important rising star in fashion? And Rainbow Dash, waiting for her Wonderbolts acceptance letter right now.”

Dawn rolled her eyes. “Yeah, two things that both coulda been done better outside of Ponyville. Not to mention neither are very important. Clothes and shows. Either could disappear and Equestria would probably be better off.”

“Those are the Elements of Harmony you’re talking about.”

“Well, they’re not the important ones.”

Spike grit his teeth. “Those unimportant ones are my friends.”

“But they’re not Twilight. Twilight was Celestia’s student, the most powerful unicorn, and was ascended to princess. How can you say a pastry chef and a farmer are as important as she was?”

Spike inhaled severely, a growl-like sound emanating from his throat. “The Elements of Harmony don’t activate unless all the elements are there. Twilight would not be a hero, and Equestria would be covered in darkness or ruled by Discord if it weren’t for the rest of them.”

“I’m pretty sure it could be any sufficiently loyal or laughy person. Twilight had to be the most powerful unicorn of her generation in order to be the Element of Magic. Not to mention she was personally trained by Princess Celestia for years too,” she said as she examined the room around her. “Then she became a princess. None of the others were princesses because they weren’t important.”

Spike opened his mouth to lash out, but cut himself off. ‘This is part of what Celestia was talking about, wasn’t it. Being unable to look past herself?

Spike took a deep breath to calm himself, and straightened up. ‘Nothing a good lecture can’t solve.

“The Elements of Harmony don’t respond to the magical power of the wielder. The relationship with the bearers, all of which embody a particular virtue, is what activates the Elements of Harmony. Twilight would have been nothing without her friends,” Spike said, puffing his chest out. “They are just as important as she is.”

“If being friends is more important than being magical, why didn’t Celestia just find a really friendly pony to be Magic?”

Spike struggled to find words to refute her claim. “That… doesn’t mean she’s the only important one.”

Dawn shrugged. “A hundred years from now almost nopony’s going to remember Rarity the dressmaker, but everypony’s going to remember Princess Twilight Sparkle.” She puffed out her chest. “And everypony’s going to remember Dawn Gleam, the next Element of Magic!”

“I’m pretty sure they’re not. Everypony knows that the Elements are back on the Tree of Harmony. I know Celestia didn’t keep that a secret.”

Dawn smirked, her nose in the air. “But I know a thing you don’t. The Elements fell off the tree.”

Spike’s jaw fell open. “W-what?! Why would they do that? What about the vines beneath it?”

“Discord did something about it.” She waved her hoof dismissively. “It took him like a week to finish making sure they were all gone. Anyway”– She returned to excitement –“Celestia won’t tell me why, but I know the Elements fell off the tree to tell everypony they want to find new bearers.”

“And that’s you,” Spike said flatly.

“Why else would Celestia be teaching me?”

Spike paused, watching her continue to examine Twilight’s old room around him. He grit his teeth. “You’d be an awful Element of Magic.”

Dawn Gleam finally wheeled around and glared at Spike. “No, I wouldn’t!”

Spike glared down at the slightly shorter filly. “Yes, you would. Twilight has respect for others, no matter where they’re from or what their job is, and it’s a big part of who she is. You think anypony who’s not Celestia’s student is useless.”

“That’s not true! I don’t think you’re useless.”

This halted Spike’s rant right in its tracks.

Dawn smirked. “Yeah. I’ve heard nothing but good stuff about you, Spike. You’re diligent, smart, and loyal. The perfect assistant. So come with me, and you can be helping Celestia’s next student too!”

Spike tried not to scowl. “I’m not done helping her previous student,” he said coldly.

“W-what? She’s been dead for–”

“She’s not dead!” Spike roared.

Dawn recoiled. “She was sent to another, unknown world with an army bearing down on her. She’s probably been executed by now.”

“Twilight was the most amazing pony ever! She can handle it, and when I find how to contact her everypony will see.”

“That's what you’ve been wasting your time with in Ponyville?”

Spike scowled. “It’s not a waste of time. Ponyville is a great place! What would be a waste of time is spending my life helping YOU.”

Dawn Gleam’s face twisted into a scowl. “What?! I am Celestia’s personal student,” she screeched. “Much more important than trying to find a dead pony in a podunk town with ponies that don’t matter!”

“Those ponies are Twilight’s best friends. Those ponies are my best friends!”

“If they’re so much more important than me then you can just go back to Ponyville!”

“I will!” Spike shouted.

“Fine!” Dawn Gleam screamed. “Come on,” she commanded the guard, and scrambled out of the tower. “Slam the door.” The guard complied and slammed the door so hard the room vibrated.

Spike breathed heavily, flames snaking out of his mouth. He screamed in wordless rage. Spike swung his claw around, almost hitting a bookcase on the wall, but he stopped himself. It wasn’t his, he couldn’t smash Twilight’s stuff. There was only one thing that was just his.

His poor basket wasn’t in sleeping condition anymore.


Spike plodded through the hallway to his summons. In the antechamber Rarity waited with Celestia. Spike stared at the ground, quietly fuming.

Celestia addressed Spike with an inscrutably even tone. “Spike. You are aware of why I have summoned you?”

Spike nodded, avoiding her gaze.

Celestia sighed. “I have misjudged your feelings. The wound left when Twilight disappeared is more fresh than I suspected .”

Spike winced.

“And I now realize I made a mistake in asking you away from Ponyville so quickly. It has become more your home than I understood.”

Spike continued to to stare at the ground.

“Do you have any other words before you part? For me or for Dawn?”

“I’m sorry,” Spike said.

“For?”

Spike hesitated. “For wasting your time.”

Celestia sighed. “I see.” She gave Rarity a significant look, and Rarity trotted over to Spike.

“Are you ready to go now, Spike?” she asked gently.

Spike looked up at her. He wasn’t too much shorter than she was anymore but he still felt like she towered over him. She was a beautiful paragon of generosity. He was just a small dragon.

Spike nodded.

Rarity silently trotted alongside him through the empty hallways.

“Rarity, I’m sorry,” Spike said.

She tilted her head. “Whatever for?”

“Because I dragged you here. Because I made you worry and let you find me in a pile of ash. Because I’ve been a bad friend.”

Rarity smiled. “Spike… you’ve been hurt worse than anypony by this. It’s natural that you would feel a little withdrawn. If anything it’s partially our fault for neglecting you so.”

“And…” he whispered.

“And what, dear?”

“For–”

There was a cry from the side of the hallway. Both Rarity and Spike twisted to see Dawn Gleam, pushing herself up from a stumble. Her eyes were red. She glared at Spike with a trembling lip.

Spike’s and her eyes met for a moment. She turned her snout upward with a wavering huff, and walked away slowly, trembling some.

Spike frowned and continued down the hallway. “Let’s go.”

Author's Note:

It's here! I think a month is the new around time I should be estimating at for chapters.
Edit: wow that... wow. Bungled those words pretty badly. I hope you guys get the jist.

In good news: I got a prereader! Thanks Amneiger!

Also it's the right time to thank my proofreader and editor, who's helped me since the prologue: Selbin. Yeah, you. Thanks.

In other news: I feel dirty for using a limerick that's not even a little dirty. Pinkie should feel bad too, but I bet she doesn't.