• Published 24th Nov 2013
  • 8,190 Views, 186 Comments

Running away - AlphaRidley



Running, it's all Chrysalis has ever done since she was born. Running from her emotions, from her heritage, from Celestia, and now she's on the run again, but this time is different. Twilight Sparkle doesn't give up so easily.

  • ...
21
 186
 8,190

Trust issues

Celestia sighed in relief as she finished signing the giant stack of papers that would strip the nobility who weren't truly noble of their titles. Most of them had become corrupted by greed over time, and she had grown tired of it.

Celestia teleported to her room, one of the few places where she could allow herself to relax. After taking her regalia off and putting them on her nightstand, she hopped up onto her bed, letting out a small hum of contentment as she sank into the blankets.

She jumped back with a start as the magical green flames of Spike flew through her window. The flames spiraled up towards her and materialized a scroll in front of her before dissipating into the air. Celestia smiled as she caught the scroll in her magic. "Must be a friendship report from Twilight, I wonder what she's learned this time."

Dear Mom,

Twilight's been acting really weird lately, she hasn't been going out to see her friends very often the past few days, and she spends almost all of her time down in the basement. She won't let me down there and she's been acting all secretive about what she's doing. Each time she comes out of the basement she's tired and smells funny, I'm worried for her. I was wondering if you had some advice to give me.

From Spike.

Celestia's eyes furrowed together with concern as she read Spike's letter. It wasn't often she got a letter from Spike, which told her that this was probably something she would need to look into.

Personally.

Her horn lit up like a christmas tree. It started as a soft white glow, but quickly transformed into a harsh blinding light as she vanished into thin air.

~~~

A bright light and a short burst of sound signaled the return of Celestia into the physical realm. She looked around at the familiar collection of books that Twilight loved so much.

She spotted Spike laying on the couch, his head laying against a pillow as he slept soundly. The baby dragon looked very content laying there, and as much as she hated to wake him, she needed to know where Twilight had gone.

Trotting over to the napping dragon who viewed her as his mother, Celestia prodded his shoulder softly with her hoof. Spike let out a small grumble, but didn't wake up.

Looking down at Spike in exasperation, Celestia leaned her head next to his ear. "Rarity's here." She whispered. Celestia hated to abuse her knowledge of Spike's crush, but she didn't have time for him to slowly wake up, she wanted to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible.

Spike shot up, his body rigid as he frantically searched for Rarity. When he noticed that she wasn't here, he went to go back to his nap, but then he spotted Celestia. "M-mom?" He spoke quietly, not wanting anypony who happened to be nearby know he saw Celestia as his mother.

Celestia smiled serenely at him. "Hello Spike. I apologize that I did not inform you of my coming, but I wanted to fix this as soon as possible. Do you know where Twilight is?"

The startled dragon could do little but point in the direction of the basement door.

Celestia walked over to the door and examined the many spells that Twilight had placed on the basement. A soundproofing spell, several powerful spells meant to keep intruders out, and even a few spells that could cause great injury if somepony somehow got past the other spells.

While Celestia was impressed, she also knew that she had little time to waste. If Twilight was willing to place a spell that had the possibility of somepony getting killed, then there was
something very wrong with her.

Booting up her magic, Celestia deactivated all the spells that her student had placed. She knew Twilight would know instantly what she'd done, but she'd rather talk to her student before going someplace she obviously wasn't welcome and making assumptions.

A soft moan emanated from the basement, causing Celestia's eyes to widen in shock. Acting quickly she placed a sleeping spell on Spike before what was most likely happening downstairs traumatized the poor dragon.

The crashing of metallic objects on the floor and the uncensored profanity that spewed from her student's mouth caused Celestia to start sweating profusely.

"Don't you dare come down here Princess!" She heard Twilight screech in a volume akin to Luna's Royal Canterlot Voice. The sudden eruption of powerful magical energy from downstairs told Celestia everything she needed to know. Not only was Twilight involved with somepony, but being irrupted had pissed her off to the point where her magic was threatening to become too powerful for the Unicorn to control. If Celestia didn't do something to calm Twilight down fast then her magic would overload, which was a very bad thing when you were as good at magic as Twilight was.

"Twilight I need you to calm down," Celestia said soothingly, her voice threatening to crack as she began to panic. "I'm not going to go down there if you don't want me to, and I'm not going to judge you or banish you or send you back to magic kindergarten or hurt you. But you need to calm down before you lose control of your magic." Celestia rattled off as many of Twilight's fears as she could think of as she placed a soundproofing, an extremely powerful barrier spell over the library, and teleported Spike to the safety of Rarity's house.

Celestia could feel Twilight's magical aura recede slightly, but it was still to powerful for Celestia stop with her own magic without risking setting the magic off and possibly killing her student and her lover.

Celestia racked her brain for anything else that Twilight could be afraid of but found herself at a loss. "Twilight...?" She spoke up tentatively, her voice positively dripping with trepidation.

"What?" Twilight hissed, the pure unbridled rage in her student's voice made Celestia almost flinch back, but she held her body still, she couldn't allow herself to lose control of her emotions, she had to stay strong for Twilight's sake.

"Is there something else you're afraid of?" It took a few seconds before Twilight replied, but when she did her answer sent Celestia's head spinning.

"You said you wouldn't hurt me, but you never said you wouldn't hurt her..."

Celestia threw her head back in shock. "Twilight..... I promise I would Never hurt anypony who made you happy."

Celestia cocked her ear closer to the door as she heard muttering. They were most likely discussing it, which made Celestia lower her head in confusion. What had she done to make Twilight distrust her like this.

"Swear on your love for Princess Luna."

Celestia nearly shed a tear when she heard Twilight's answer; she didn't understand. "I-I swear on my love for Luna." She spoke hesitantly, having never been pressed into a position like this one before.

Twilight's magical aura receded fully the instant Celestia finished her sentence, and she shifted her hooves nervously as she waited for her student to respond.

"You can come down now..." Twilight's voice sounded frightened, like when she thought she had disappointed her. The sudden mood change confused Celestia greatly, but she shoved her thoughts off to the side as she opened the basement door and slowly walked down the winding staircase.

Celestia froze when she reached the bottom, there were no words that she could have possibly said that would've given her thoughts any dignity.

Twilight Sparkle, her precious student, was laying on a medical table beside one of Equestria's worst enemies, Queen Chrysalis. The changeling's hooves were wrapped around Twilight, holding the purple Unicorn tightly against her barrel as she nuzzled the back of Twilight's neck.