• Published 7th Dec 2013
  • 890 Views, 26 Comments

Soft Soil, Bab Seed - ILurvTrixie



Babs comes back to visit. The CMC are crazy. Weather. Books. Done for Random Romance group.

  • ...
1
 26
 890

Rainy Day Part 2

After a quiet and uneventful lunch of Apple family goodies, the group had decided on something less crazy. Pictionary. Without the board, it was more of a party game with the entire group calling out ideas, which worked for everyone involved. They just mixed all the cards together and tried to figure out what the random thing was.

"Oh come on!" Sweetie Belle was complaining loudly. "There's no way that's a duck!"

"Sure it is! It's got wings, a beak, and webbed feet." Scootaloo crossed her forehooves defensively.

"Is that what those were? I thought that was a cockatrice." Applebloom tilted her head at the picture.

Babs rolled her eyes. "I thought it was a ship or something when you started drawing the water."

Scoots growled, before handing the pen to Spike. "Fine! You're up next!"

Spike rolled his eyes, checking the card. "Hoo boy."

He started drawing a big circle.

"Ball?" Sweetie Belle perked up.

He drew lines radiating from the ball.

"Stink bomb?" Scootaloo tilted her head to the right.

He rolled his eyes, and started drawing a pony under it.

"Ball stink pony?" Applebloom tilted her head to the left.

Babs thought about it as he started to draw wings onto the pony, and with the first lines of a horn- "Princess Celestia!"

"You got it!"

The Crusaders groaned. "Aw man!" "So obvious!"

"Really guys, stink bomb?" Spike gave them a confused look.

"Well, the lines were all wavy." Applebloom shrugged.

Spike facepalmed. "Okay, so maybe I'm not an artist." He handed the pen over to Babs, who took it in her mouth with a thoughtful expression, walking over to check the next card in the box.

She frowned, but wasn't about to skip it. First she drew a big circle, and a smaller blackened in circle inside it.

"Ball?" Sweetie Belle blinked.

"No no, that's an eye!" Babs nodded at Applebloom and sketched out the next part of the phrase. A heart.

"Eye heart?" Scootaloo blinked.

Babs started drawing two ponies, trying to draw arrows from one to the other.

"I love you!" Spike yelled out happily.

Babs and Spike froze, and flushed again. The crusaders giggled cheerfully.

Babs spat out the pen. "Okay. We're done. How about we do something else now?"

***

Reading was a good solution. They were in a library, and even Scootaloo could be tamed with a Daring Doo novel. Babs sighed happily, reading through 'Help! I'm trapped in a Diamond Dog's Body!' Silly series, but enjoyable. Spike was finishing up the few chores he had, and starting to get things ready for a nice soup for dinner. Applebloom was reading a carpentry manual, while Sweetie Belle was practicing music from a big book of lyrics. There was a peaceful sort of calm settling into things.

And there was no possible thing that could go wrong with books.

Babs suddenly became aware of a pair of wide open blue eyes staring at her over the top of her book. She blinked up at Pinkie Pie who waved cheerfully, a simple rainbow colored umbrella hat perched on her head. The pony appeared to be completely untouched by the weather that she must have braved to reach the library. Babs decided not to question that, or her sudden appearance. It just seemed a lost cause.

"Hi Pinkie."

"Hi Babs! You guys having fun on this gloomy day?"

"We're doing alright."

The crusaders murmured assent.

"Spike and Babs kissed!" Sweetie blurted out with a smile.

Pinkie gasped and looked back to Babs, who facehooved. "Accidentally."

Pinkie blinked, and giggled. "You sillies, you're supposed to actually be trying when you kiss. Otherwise it's more like a not-kiss."

"Then I guess it was a not-kiss." Babs shrugged, trying to ignore the warmth in her cheeks.

"Oooooo." Pinkie leaned in dramatically. "Does Spike think it's a not-kiss?"

"I guess so?" Babs blinked.

Pinkie's blue eyes stared down into the depths of Bab's green eyes. Babs squirmed a bit, before Pinkie closed her eyes in a smile. "Okie Dokie Lokie!"

"So what are you doing here Pinkie?" Scootaloo managed to pry herself from the daring adventures of Daring Doo long enough to raise an eyebrow.

"Oh, since everypony's stuck indoors with all this icky weather, I figured I'd go around and deliver goodies from Sugarcube Corner to everypony! I'm over halfway done with the whole town!" Pinkie gleefully pulled cupcakes and doughnuts from seemingly nowhere, handing them out to the crusaders and Babs before heading for the kitchen with a smile. "And I've got a nice candied sapphire for one lucky dragon!"

"Huh? Oh, hey Pinkie! Thanks!"

"No prob Spike! Anyway, you girls keep having fun, I've got more deliveries to finish!" With a satisfied smile, Pinkie opened the door and bounced out into the storm, seemingly untouchable by the massive raindrops by virtue of her umbrella hat.

Babs blinked. "Even after all the stories, it's still kind of weird to see her in action."

Scootaloo shrugged and mumbled around a mouthful of doughnut. "You get used to it." The other crusaders nodded.

***

Dinner had been good. Nice hot soup was hard to pass up on a gloomy day, and the Ponyvillians had shared a few more stories from what had happened in town. The crusaders had finally worn themselves down again through a combination of sugar crash and full bellies. Pinkie had dropped off even more treats than they thought for after dinner. Babs smiled a bit, thinking about the Ice-Cream Sundae Cupcake she'd gotten. Who even came up with something that crazy? But it tasted delicious, and made her want another one.

The steady patter of the storm outside and the occasional groan of the library were almost comfortable. Almost. Something was still bothering her.

"Psssst. Spiiike."

"Hm?" Spike raised his head. He still wasn't used to a full library.

"Sorry about kissing you. I mean, not like we wanted to or anything, but- sorry. Okay?"

"Pfft. I probably wouldn't of thought about it again. And- um- I guess sorry to you too."

"What are you apologizing for? I didn't think it was that bad."

Babs rolled onto her side and fell into a comfortable doze with a satisfied conscience; Spike pondered that. He shrugged and returned to trying to sleep himself.

Author's Note:

I want an Ice-Cream Sundae Cupcake.