• Published 8th Dec 2013
  • 1,246 Views, 23 Comments

The New Pegasus In Town - Scarlet Wonder



Rainbow Dash's title for greatest flyer in Equestria is in jeopardy when a new Pegasus moves into Ponyville and shows off some incredible speed. Rainbow Dash then decides to figure out who this stranger is and why he's in Ponyville.

  • ...
4
 23
 1,246

Sick Day

Rainbow Dash was laying in bed breathing heavily. Unlike last night she had to breathe through her mouth, it seemed her condition had worsened since yesterday. Plasma Burner was the first to wake up, he looked over and placed his hoof on Rainbow's forehead. He knew she couldn't go out and fly, it would only make things even worse for her. He then climbed out of bed and removed his bandages. He walked over to the mirror in his washroom and looked at his injured wing, there were many feathers missing, his skin was torn in certain places from the lightning strike, and much of his wing was covered in dry blood. He reached into his wall and pulled out a small piece of his cloud home. He gave it a good shake and it began dripping water. He then used the cloud to wash the blood off of his wing. He then grabbed a nearby towel and began to clean his wound, it wasn't a very pleasant experience for him.

"Looks like that lightning bolt did even more damage than I thought. I better get some bandages to cover it up before it starts to bleed again." Plasma Burner walked to the other room and grabbed some more bandages. He began wrapping his injured wing with clean bandages until he heard Rainbow in the other room.

*Sniff* "Oh my head. It hurts." *Cough!* *Cough!*

"How are you feeling?" asked Plasma Burner as he stepped to her side.

"I feel sick, I can't even move." said Rainbow.

*Knock* *Knock* "Um, excuse me, can I come in?" asked a voice from outside the door.

"Yes, come in Fluttershy." said Plasma Burner.

"Oh, thank you. Are you ready to go Rainbow? The weather team is going to need your help to clear up all of the clouds from yesterdays storm." said Fluttershy.

Rainbow began to lift herself from her pillow to face Fluttershy, "Yeah, just give me a-"

"Actually Fluttershy, Rainbow's feeling a little sick." said Plasma Burner as he gently pushed Rainbow's head back down on the pillow. "I'll be taking her place today as we clear up the sky. She'll be staying here, in bed."

"Oh dear, maybe I should take her home?" said Fluttershy.

"Don't worry about her, she'll be staying here. I'll be taking care of her until she gets better." said Plasma Burner. "So where is Spitfire? I'm guessing she left already?"

"Actually, she was already gone by the time I woke up. I don't know where she is."

"I see. Well it was nice having company over. I'll see you out Fluttershy, I need somepony to show me where the weather team meets anyway." said Plasma Burner as he walked over to the door.

"Oh, okay. I'll see you later Rainbow Dash." said Fluttershy as they both walked out the door. "Are you sure you don't want me to take her home? I can take care of her if it's too much trouble for you."

"That's alright, it's my fault she got sick in the first place. So it's only fair that I help her now." said Plasma Burner as they walked down the stairs.

Fluttershy noticed his wing twitching and stared at his bandages, "Are you sure you'll be able to fly with your wing like that?"

"Thank you for your concern Fluttershy, but I will be fine. I just need to take it easy and my wing will be fine." said Plasma Burner as he opened the front door. "So where does the weather team usually meet?"

~~~~~

"Aw man, my nose is so stuffy." said Rainbow as she lay in Plasma Burner's bed. "I need some tissue paper. Where is his washroom?" She got up out of bed and carefully made her way to the washroom. She found the tissue's and began cleaning her nose. When she went to throw away the tissue paper, she saw the bandages that Plasma Burner took off last night and the one's he took off that morning. She couldn't believe how bloody they were, she could only hope that he had healed somewhat from last night. Then suddenly she heard the door to the house open from downstairs. She quickly grabbed the box of tissues and brought them with her and hopped back into the bed.

The door opened and Plasma Burner walked in the room. "What are you doing back here so soon?" asked Rainbow Dash.

"We finished." he said.

"That fast?! There's no way you could have finished clearing the skies that fast with an injured wing!" said Rainbow Dash. "You were gone for only five minutes!"

"When you have a proper team whose willing to follow your command, you can do anything in anytime." said Plasma Burner as he opened the window.

"Unbelievable, there's no way you should have been able to clear up all of those clouds so quickly!"

"What if I told you that there was a way to clear a hundred clouds in one move?" asked Plasma Burner as he walked closer to Rainbows side of the bed.

"That's impossible, I've been captain of the weather team since I first moved to Ponyville. If such a thing was possible then we wouldn't need a weather team."

"Are you so sure about that?" asked Plasma Burner.

"Of course! There's not a doubt in my mind! Even you can't expect me to believe that such a thing exists." said Rainbow.

Plasma Burner leaned in closer to Rainbow Dash. He eventually stopped until they were nearly face to face. "Oh but it does Rainbow Dash. There is a way, but it can be very dangerous if you try to execute it during a raging storm. It can even kill you if you're not careful."

"H-h-how? How can you clear so many clouds in one move?" asked Rainbow Dash as she stared directly at Plasma Burner's eyes. She was finally about to learn one of his secrets.

"Sorry, I can't tell you. You don't expect me to give away my secret techniques to some novice, do you?" he asked as he moved away from Rainbow Dash.

"Why you! I hate it when you call me a novice! And I-" Rainbow was halted as Plasma Burner placed his hoof over her mouth.

"Don't lose your temper Rainbow Dash. It will only make your condition worse." said Plasma Burner as he removed his hoof.

You're the one who made me lose my temper you jerk! she shouted in her mind.

"Stay here, I'm going to make you some soup." said Plasma Burner as he released her.

"Wait, you don't have to go and do that!" said Rainbow.

"Relax, I'm going to use the same recipe from last night. I'm not going to mix up the tomato sauce with hot sauce if that's what you're worried about." said Plasma Burner.

"Oh, okay. Thanks." said Rainbow as she rested her head back onto the pillow. As soon as Plasma Burner was out of sight she took the pillow and stuffed her face into it. I can't believe this. Now I have to win that race! I have to get him to show me everything!

After a short while Rainbow Dash could hear him cooking downstairs, she tried her best to rest but she couldn't fall asleep. She laid in bed for about thirty minutes when suddenly she heard somepony knocking on the door downstairs. She was curious as to who it was and got out of bed, she then began making her way downstairs but stopped midway so Plasma Burner couldn't see her. She carefully lowered her head as Plasma Burner walked to the door, but she couldn't see who it was at the door.

"Hello Plasma Burner."

"Do I...know you?" he asked.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I'm the towns mail mare! My name is Derpy! I have a letter for you in my bag!" said Derpy as she dug in her bag for the letter. "Here it is!"

"I see, do you know who it's from?" asked Plasma Burner.

"Yeah, it's from the Wonderbolts! You're so lucky, they're the greatest flyers in all of Equestria! Not many Pegasus ponies get mail from them!" said Derpy as she passed it to him.

"They sent me a letter? How strange. Thank you for bringing me this letter." said Plasma Burner as he began opening the letter.

"You're welcome! See you later!" said Derpy as she went on her way to deliver the rest of the mail.

Plasma Burner looked at the letter again. "Alright, let's see here...are you going to be spying on me while I read this letter?" Rainbow's ears perked up and she backed off slowly. "Don't bother, I already know you're there Rainbow Dash."

"Eheh, so you knew I was here the whole time?" asked Rainbow Dash.

"Yes, I could hear your sniffling. I thought I told you to stay in bed." said Plasma Burner.

"Sorry about that, I kind of..."

"You couldn't fall asleep and got bored of laying in bed?" he said.

"How did you know that?! The wind told you, didn't it?" asked Rainbow.

"No, I guessed." he said out flat.

"Are you serious?!" shouted Rainbow Dash.

"Temper! Now sit down, the soup is almost ready." said Plasma Burner.

"Oh, okay." said Rainbow as she walked over to the table. As she sat there and waited for the soup to be ready, she felt a hoof being placed on her shoulder. "Hey, what are you doing?!"

"Relax, I'm just putting a blanket on you." said Plasma Burner. "I don't want your condition getting worse so I'm just trying to keep you warm."

"Oh, right. Sorry about that." said Rainbow Dash as she allowed him to place the blanket on her.

"You're acting a bit strange, are you okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine." said Rainbow as she tried to breathe through her stuffy nose.

"I'll go and get you the tissues so you can clean your nose." said Plasma Burner. He disappeared in a gust of wind and immediately reappeared with the box of tissues in his hoof.

"That's incredible." said Rainbow Dash. "How do you move that fast?"

"That's a secret, so I can't tell you." said Plasma Burner.

"That's what you think. Once I win that race, I'm going to make you teach me everything you know." said Rainbow.

"Sorry Rainbow, but you're going to lose that race. Now here, keep these tissues with you." said Plasma Burner as he headed back into the kitchen.

Rainbow took some tissues and cleaned her nose with them. "So...is the soup ready yet?" she asked.

Plasma Burner took a spoon and tasted the soup. "Yes it is. It's perfect."

"That has yet to be proven." said Rainbow.

"Just you wait, it's going to be delicious." said Plasma Burner as he poured Rainbow a bowl of soup. He then brought the bowl to the table and placed it in front of her.

"Okay, let's see how your soup is." said Rainbow Dash as she tasted the soup. "That's really good!"

"See? I told you it was going to be good." said Plasma Burner.

"So...what did you get in the mail?" she asked.

"An invitation."

"Invitation?"

"Yes, it's an invitation for a party held in the Wonderbolts honor. A special event held once every year, and Spitfire sent me an invitation."

"Are you going to go?" she asked.

"No, I don't plan on going." said Plasma Burner.

"Oh, I see." Rainbow kept eating her soup while Plasma Burner took the invitation to his living room. Rainbow couldn't see where he placed the invitation and decided not to worry about it. Plasma Burner came back and poured himself a bowl of soup. He then carried his bowl back to the table and ate his soup with Rainbow Dash.

"I'm going to pick up some medicine once I finish eating."

"Where are you going to get the medicine from?" she asked.

"Don't worry about it. Just know that soon you'll be feeling a whole lot better."

"Alright, so what do I do while you're gone?" asked Rainbow.

"The dishes." said Plasma Burner as he slid his bowl over to Rainbow.

"Again?! How did you even finish your food that fast? And don't you think it's rude to make a sick pony do the dishes?"

"Don't you think it's rude to spy on ponies with your friends telescope?"

"I was hoping you had forgotten about that."

"Not a chance. I'm heading out, and make sure you keep that blanket on." said Plasma Burner as he left with a saddle bag on his back.

"Alright, see you later." said Rainbow. Plasma Burner took off to the skies and was soon out of sight. Rainbow Dash sighed and took both of the dishes and carried them to the sink. "It looks like I'm on dish duty...again." Rainbow washed their dishes and headed up the stairs. She stepped into Plasma Burner's room and noticed a door that led to another room. That's where he got his bandages from last night. I wonder what else he has in there. she thought. She walked up to the door and opened it. She couldn't believe what she was seeing.

The walls were filled with old pictures from Plasma Burner's days in the Wonderbolts. His uniform was neatly folded in the corner, and his badge was still attached to it. Old trophies that he won in races were in glass cases, and medals were hung on the walls. Rainbow walked in to find an image of Plasma Burner with Spitfire and Soarin by his side. They were all holding a golden trophy with smiles across their faces. Then she spotted an old picture of Plasma Burner and Spitfire together. They were wearing scarves on a snowy hill and Spitfire was giving Plasma Burner a peck on the cheek. Then suddenly she heard the door downstairs open up. She quickly ran out the door and rushed back downstairs to see Plasma Burner there. "Welcome back! That was quick."

"Yeah, there was this zebra in the woods that had all of the herbs I needed. It was strange though, she only spoke in rhymes."

"That must be Zecora."

"So her name is Zecora huh? She was very helpful. Now I can get to work on that medicine. Just wait on the couch and I'll have it ready in a few minutes."

"Alright, what kind of medicine is it?" she asked.

"It's an ancient medicinal tea that I learned throughout my travels in Equestria. You just have to drink it, and you should feel better by morning."

"That's great! I can't wait to get airborne again." said Rainbow.

"Yes, it'll be good for you to get some practice with your new wings." said Plasma Burner.

"Yeah, I can't wait to try these bad boys out!" said Rainbow as she opened her wings under the blanket. Her wings tossed the blanket overhead and it slowly fell over Rainbow's entire body and covered her face.

"Alright, it's ready Rainbow Dash." said Plasma Burner as he entered the living room with a cup full of green liquid. "Take that thing off of your head. Here, drink this."

Rainbow Dash fixed the blanket to the way it was before. She then looked at the cup that Plasma Burner brought her. "Uh, this looks a lot different than the medicine you made me yesterday. Are you sure this stuff is safe to drink?" she asked.

"Yes, now drink up. At first it will cause your cold to act up more than before, but by morning it should be all gone." said Plasma Burner as he walked back towards the kitchen. Rainbow Dash sat down on his couch and began drinking all of the medicine until it was all gone. As soon as she finished, she heard a loud bang come from the kitchen.

"Hey, what was that?" she asked. But there was no answer. So Rainbow got up and walked towards the kitchen and found Plasma Burner on the ground. "Are you okay?!" she asked as she ran up to him.

"I'm...I'm fine." he said. His voice sounded weak, and he seemed to be trying his best to stay conscious.

"No you're not! What's wrong?!" she asked. She then took notice to his wing which was completely drenched in blood. "What happened to your wing?"

Plasma Burner attempted to lift himself off the floor. "I...pushed my body...too much today. I opened the wound...and the pain..."

"Don't try to push yourself. I'll help you upstairs." said Rainbow. She helped Plasma Burner stand on his hooves, and then they both made their way to his bedroom. "Here, let's get you on the bed and I'll change those bandages."

"I can do it myself." said Plasma Burner. He tried to make his way to the washroom but ended up nearly falling over again.

"Don't be an idiot. I'll do it." said Rainbow Dash. She slowly unraveled the bandages and her hooves were getting covered by the blood that stained them. "Aw man, this is so gross." She eventually got all of the bandages off of his wing and saw the wound. "Oh my gosh, it looks horrible. It's all my fault. You had to go and take my place on the weather team, and you went to get the medicine for me."

"Don't beat yourself up over it. I took the risks of flying with an injured wing. I knew this would happen. It's my fault, not yours."

"But..."

"Just get the clean bandages please. I don't want to get blood all over my bed."

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot!" said Rainbow as she rushed to find the bandages.

Plasma Burner could hear her rummaging through his things. "They're in the washroom!"

"Got it!" said Rainbow as she ran for the door. When she entered the washroom, she began searching all over for the bandages. "Aha, found them!" She quickly rinsed her hooves before grabbing the bandages so they wouldn't be stained with the blood on her hooves. She then grabbed the bandages and quickly ran back to Plasma Burner. "Alright, I have the bandages."

"Good, now first you have to clean the wound before you put the bandages on." said Plasma Burner.

"Okay, how did you do it before?" she asked.

"First let's make our way to the washroom. I don't want you to clean the wound on my bed."

"Right, let's get going then!" said Rainbow as she lifted Plasma burner off the bed.

"Just drop me off in the bath tub. This way the blood go down. It'll get absorbed into the cloud below and I'll clean it once my wing gets better. Now listen to me carefully. Take a small piece of my home, and shake it. Don't shake it too much though, you have to shake it just enough so that it rains lightly. If you do it too much, it'll start pouring out water uncontrollably and my home will become a rain cloud."

"I'll do my best." said Rainbow Dash. She took a piece of his cloud home and began shaking it.

"Softer, you have to be gentle." said Plasma Burner.

"Gentle, right. I can do that." She began to gently shake the cloud and soon it was dripping water.

"There you go, control the flow of water. Now gently clean the wound." said Plasma Burner as he slowly opened his wing.

"Okay, like this?" asked Rainbow.

"Yes, just like that. Thank you Rainbow Dash." said Plasma Burner.

"No problem, you're letting me stay here as I get better so it's only fair that I help you get better too." said Rainbow as she made sure all of the blood was coming off of Plasma Burners wing.

"How is it looking?" he asked.

"It doesn't look good."

"I figured as much. I think it's ready to be bandaged." said Plasma Burner as he struggled to keep his wing open. "Please hurry, I can't keep my wing open much longer."

"Right, let me get the bandages." said Rainbow as she grabbed the bandages and began carefully wrapping his wing up. "There, that should do it."

"Thank you. Now, I just need to get in bed...and let my wing heal." said Plasma Burner.

"I'll help you." said Rainbow Dash as she helped him up. They made their way to the bed and she placed Plasma Burner on the bed and then tucked him in. As she began walking away, she felt him grab her hoof. "What's wrong?"

"Have you forgotten that you're sick? You need to rest as well." said Plasma Burner.

"I'm fi-a-a-achoo! Aw man, I think it's getting worse." said Rainbow as her voice became stuffy once again.

"It's the medicine, it'll be like that for a while. In the morning you'll feel a lot better. Now get in." said Plasma Burner.

"What?!" said Rainbow Dash.

"I said to get in the bed. You need to rest and get better. I'm not letting go until you get in." said Plasma Burner. Rainbow Dash didn't argue, she knew she needed to rest. Her head was feeling hot and she began feeling woozy. So she climbed over and laid down in the bed.

"You can let go of me now." said Rainbow Dash with a blush. Although one would not be able to tell since her face was red already from being sick.

"ZzzzzZZzzzz..."

He...he fell asleep already. thought Rainbow Dash. "I can't believe you." She closed her eyes and tried to rest as the sleeping Plasma Burner held her hoof. Somehow the two managed to sleep through the rest of the day. The next morning Rainbow Dash woke up to find herself alone in the bed again. This time though, she felt amazing. She jumped out of bed and took in a deep breath. It felt wonderful to be able to breathe clearly again. She ran downstairs to find Plasma Burner at the door talking to somepony.

"I see. So you're one of Rainbow Dash's friends." said Plasma Burner.

"Yes, is she still here?" asked the mare at the door.

"Who are you talking to?" asked Rainbow.

"It seems to be one of your friends. She says her name is Twilight Sparkle."

Twilight looked over to see Rainbow. "There you are Rainbow Dash!" said Twilight as she ran into Plasma Burner's home and gave Rainbow Dash a hug. "Fluttershy told us what happened! We were all so worried about you!"

"I'm okay Twilight. Plasma Burner helped me get better. He's also the one who saved my life." said Rainbow.

"You're looking much better Rainbow Dash." said Plasma Burner.

"Yeah, thanks to your medicine."

"How about you try out your new wings real quick?" said Plasma Burner as she stepped outside.

"Yeah! This is going to be great!" said Rainbow as she ran outside. She then prepped herself and opened her wings.

"Wow, I've never seen Rainbow's wings open that fast before. They look a little different too." said Twilight.

"Yes, just wait until she takes off." said Plasma Burner.

"Here I go!" said Rainbow Dash. She then bolted off of the cloud and began flying across the sky. "This is amazing! I feel even faster than before!"

"That's incredible." said Twilight.

"Yes, she's not half bad." said Plasma Burner.

Rainbow Dash flew by and hovered in the middle of the air. "Come on! What are you standing around for Plasma Burner? Let's fly!" she shouted.

"I can't Rainbow Dash, you know that." said Plasma Burner.

Rainbow quickly landed back onto the cloud. "Oh, right. I'm sorry, I was so excited about trying out my new wings that I forgot."

"That's fine, I probably won't be able to fly for a while. I might not even be able to fly on the day of our race." said Plasma Burner.

"Then I'll help you get better!" said Rainbow.

"No. That will not be necessary."

"What...but why?!"

"Simple, because your friend here has something for me. Don't you?" asked Plasma Burner.

"Yeah, how did you know that?" asked Twilight.

"Don't ask. Trust me." said Rainbow.

"What do you mean?" asked Twilight.

"Ask him and then you'll understand, but don't say I didn't warn you." said Rainbow.

"Okay, how did you know that I brought you something?" asked Twilight.

"The wind told me."

"You can speak to the wind?!" asked Twilight. "I've heard about certain Pegasus ponies having the ability to communicate with the wind, but I never thought I'd actually meet one."

"Wait, you know about this?!" asked Rainbow.

"Yes, but I didn't know it was true. Supposedly everypony has their own personal wind that surrounds them. So ponies like him should be able to listen to it. Can you really do that?" asked Twilight.

"Yes indeed. Not only that, but other Pegasus ponies with the same ability can communicate with each other through the wind that surrounds them."

"You can?!" asked Twilight.

"Yes, but it all depends on your wings. Only Pegasus ponies with wings that are the same type as mine can do it. They're a rare type, so not many ponies can do it anymore."

"Wait...yesterday you said that my wings are just like yours!" shouted Rainbow.

"He did?! Then does that mean..."

"Yes, it means that Rainbow Dash is also capable of communicating with the wind." said Plasma Burner.

"I can?! How do I do it? Can you show me?" asked Rainbow.

"I'm afraid not. I could not teach you even if I wanted to. It is something that you must learn for yourself."

"But...I want to know now."

"I know it doesn't seem fair, but someday you'll learn. I had to learn it myself you know, and it took me a while before I could control it. So I understand that you brought me something Twilight?" said Plasma Burner.

"Yes, I brought it in my bag. Here you go." She handed him a bottle with a strange liquid inside. "Zecora said to give it to you."

"I see, it must be some type of medicine." said Plasma Burner as he held the bottle.

"She told me that you must pour it on your wing." said Twilight.

"On my wing? I wonder if it's some kind of healing potion." said Plasma Burner. "Would you mind lending me a hoof Twilight Sparkle?"

"Yes, of course." said Twilight as she levitated the bottle over his wing. She then tipped it over and poured some its contents onto his bandaged wing. Then Plasma Burner's wing began shaking on its own.

"What, what happened?" asked Plasma Burner. He then unwrapped his wing and the wound once plagued him had shrunk in size. "Incredible. I've heard that the zebra's were well known for their amazing medicinal potions, but I never imagined that they could make something like this."

"That's amazing. She said to pour this medicine onto your wound at least once a day. If you do, then your wing should be fully healed by the end of the week." said Twilight as she levitated the bottle towards him.

"I see. So in other words..."

"In other words, you'll be ready to race me!" said Rainbow Dash. "If I remember correctly, we still have a race at the end of the week!"

"That is true. In that case, the next time we see each other will be at the race!"

"I don't think so, because I'm staying here!" said Rainbow Dash.

"Excuse me? Why would I let you stay here? You're not sick anymore."

"Isn't that obvious? You're going to need somepony to help you pour that medicine onto your wing, and I just volunteered!" said Rainbow.

"Hmmm, very well. But you shall leave on the day of our race." said Plasma burner.

"Fair enough. You're coming to the race too, right Twilight?" asked Rainbow.

"Sure, I'll bring the girls along too. Where are you two going to start the race?" she asked.

"Right...here. Aw man, we have to change the starting line. My friends aren't Pegasus ponies like us."

"It's true." said Twilight. "Can we change it to someplace else?"

"Of course princess. There's a nice hill near the outskirts of Ponyville, so why don't we meet there? I'll lead us all to the hill on the day of the race." asked Plasma Burner.

"That would be perfect...how did you know I was a princess?!" asked Twilight.

"The wind told me."

"Amazing, you need to tell me everything you know about that!" said Twilight.

"Of course your highness. I would be more than happy to share what I know." said Plasma Burner.

"Alright, enough about the wind! You better prepare yourself Plasma Burner! Because I'm going to win that race!" said Rainbow Dash."

"I don't think so Rainbow Dash! For while you may be a novice, I am a master! So don't even think for a moment that you can beat me!"

"We'll just see about that! I'll show you who the novice is!" said Rainbow as they glared at each other with smiles on their faces. Then suddenly both of their stomachs began rumbling in sync with each other.

"Perhaps we should eat first. My body was in so much pain that I slept through the entire day, and you were so sick that you slept through the whole day as well. That means we slept through lunch and dinner!"

"Oh man, you're right! I'm hungry!" said Rainbow.

"Come on, I'll make us all some food." said Plasma Burner as he stepped back into his house.

"Alright, I can't wait to eat! I'm starving!" said Rainbow Dash as she and Twilight followed him inside. Now all they had to do was wait until the end of the week for the race. Rainbow Dash was confident in her abilities, she had her secret weapon. The sonic rainboom, it would increase her speed tenfold should she ever fall behind in the race. There was no way she could lose, she knew for sure that she would win.

Author's Note:

Chapter 4! I hope you're all excited, because the big race is coming up in the next chapter! That's right! Plasma Burner vs. Rainbow Dash! So thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed it and remember, feedback is greatly appreciated!