• Published 8th Dec 2013
  • 1,246 Views, 23 Comments

The New Pegasus In Town - Scarlet Wonder



Rainbow Dash's title for greatest flyer in Equestria is in jeopardy when a new Pegasus moves into Ponyville and shows off some incredible speed. Rainbow Dash then decides to figure out who this stranger is and why he's in Ponyville.

  • ...
4
 23
 1,246

The Storm

Another beautiful day in Ponyville, the skies were clear of any clouds for the moment. The Pegasus ponies planned for a heavy storm later that night. The last time they had one this big was a couple of months ago, Rainbow Dash was on her couch watching Plasma Burner through a telescope that she borrowed from Twilight. When she asked why she wanted to borrow it, Rainbow told her it was for star gazing, a lie of course. Rainbow had sent her letter to Spitfire a few days ago and has been spying on Plasma Burner hoping to catch him fly like he did the first time they met. She was mesmerized by his incredible speed that day; she hoped to learn something about it by watching him day and night.

"Rainbow?" said a voice from behind.

"GAH!" shrieked Rainbow as she jumped off of her couch, "Oh, it's just you Fluttershy. What are you doing here?"

"I just wanted to make sure you were doing okay, none of us have seen you for a couple of days now. Isn't that Twilight's telescope?" asked Fluttershy.

"Uh, yes it is! I'm just using it to, uh, look at the stars!" said Rainbow as her eyes darted from side to side.

"In the middle of the day?" asked Fluttershy.

"Well yeah! When you're as awesome as I am, you can see the stars whenever you want!" said Rainbow as she placed her hoof to her chest and lifted her chin up.

Fluttershy moved in to look through the telescope, "Rainbow Dash! How could you spy on Plasma Burner? He said he wanted to be left alone."

"I don't believe that guy Fluttershy. He's hiding something big! I plan on finding out just what that is! I sent a letter to the Wonderbolts about this guy, all I have to do now is wait." said Rainbow as she looked through the telescope.

"You sent a letter to the Wonderbolts? You know he doesn't like to talk about those days, I think it would be a bad idea to tell them he's here." said Fluttershy.

"Oh come on Fluttershy," said Rainbow as she turned around, "What's the worst that can happen?" Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Rainbow and Fluttershy looked at each other, and then back at the door. Rainbow walked over slowly as the knocks began once again, this time they were knocking even harder and faster than before. Rainbow placed her hoof on the door and slowly opened it.

The pony standing outside turned out to be Spitfire, "Are you the one who sent this letter to us?"

Rainbow's eyes grew wide in excitement, "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! It's Spitfire! The captain of the Wonderbolts and you're at my house!"

Spitfire examined Rainbow carefully, "Hey I know you, you're that Pegasus who saved us at the best young flyer competition up in Cloudsdale right? If I'm not mistaken, you were also signed up at the Wonderbolts Academy for the summer. I got your letter."

Rainbow tried to calm herself down a bit, "Ahem! Yes I did send you that letter, there's this Pegasus here who claims that he used to be captain of the Wonderbolts before you! I can't find any records about him anywhere; I was hoping you could clear this up for me?"

"You had me travel all the way down here just because of some chump who says he used to be a Wonderbolt? I came down here because your message said this was urgent! I'm out of here! This was a waste of my time." she turned around and prepared to take off.

"Wait!" shouted Rainbow, "He says his name is Plasma Burner!"

Suddenly Spitfire's entire body froze up, she turned around and stared at Rainbow. "What did you just say his name was?"

Rainbow looked at Fluttershy and then turned back to Spitfire, "Plasma Burner. He said he used to be on a team with you."

Spitfire charged into Rainbows home and pinned her on the ground, "Are you sure?! Are you absolutely sure he said his name was Plasma Burner?!"

Rainbow tried to avoid eye contact with the upset mare, "Yes!"

Spitfire released Rainbow and backed away a few steps, "Take me to him. Take me to him now!"

Rainbow pulled herself together; both she and Fluttershy showed Spitfire the way to Plasma Burners house. When they got there Spitfire seemed scared about seeing his house. Rainbow was unsure as to why Spitfire would react this way; she waved her hoof in front of Spitfire to see if she was still with them. Spitfire blinked a couple of times before coming back into reality; she walked forward and began to breathe heavily as he got closer to the door. She knocked three times and waited by the door.

The door began to open, "Can I help you?" Plasma Burner froze when he saw Spitfire standing in the doorway.

"H-hi there." said Spitfire.

Plasma Burner stared at her for a couple of seconds before he spoke, "How did you find me?"

Spitfire turned her head, "Rainbow Dash over there sent me a letter about some urgent Wonderbolt business. I didn't expect to find out she was talking about you."

Plasma Burner narrowed his eyes, "Go home Spits, forget that you ever saw me here." He began to close the door.

"Wait!" shouted Spitfire, "Can't an old friend say hello?"

Plasma Burner turned his head, "I doubt that's all you want to say."

"Please?" she begged.

Rainbow Dash didn't know what to think about what was happening before her eyes. Spitfire was begging? Not only that, but she was begging to this guy of all ponies? Plasma Burner looked at her for a couple of seconds before allowing them to enter his home. Rainbow now began to see that something bigger was going on around this strange Pegasus. He led them toward his living room; he went to the kitchen and brought back drinks for each of them. They were all silent for a while, nopony said a single word. Rainbow sat there looking back and forth at Spitfire and Plasma Burner, waiting for one to start talking.

"So..." Rainbow began.

"I'm not going to race you if that's what you're going to ask." said Plasma Burner as he turned to her.

Spitfire looked at him, "She challenged you to a race?"

He turned to face her, "She won't stop asking me for one."

Spitfire turned to face Rainbow, "He won't race you. He doesn't do that anymore. Besides, you can't win. Nopony has ever won against him before."

"What?!" shouted Rainbow, "What about you Spitfire? You can beat him right?"

Spitfire chuckled, "I'm afraid not, neither me nor Soarin could ever beat him."

Rainbow's eyes widened, "So it's true then! He really did know you guys?! I thought he just stole that badge form you!"

Spitfire's eyes widened, "You kept your badge after all? Do you still have your uniform?"

Plasma Burner glared at her, "Yes, but I don't plan on wearing it ever again. Not ever since, that day."

Spitfire gave him a look of concern, "You can't blame yourself for what happened, it wasn't your fault!"

"But it's my fault that he wasn't saved!" shouted Plasma Burner.

"What are you talking about? What happened?" asked Rainbow.

"It's time for you to go! It was a mistake for me to let you in here." Plasma Burner began walking toward the door.

"Captain!" shouted Spitfire, "Please, come back to us."

Plasma Burner stopped and the girls stared at him, "I am not your captain anymore." He opened the door to see that the storm had already begun. "Great," he said as he gritted his teeth, "It looks like I'm stuck with you three for the night. None of you can maneuver your way through that storm."

"Oh yeah?" said Rainbow, "Just watch me, I'll fly to my house and back here and that'll prove to you that I'm Wonderbolt material!" Rainbow began running towards the door and took off into the storm.

"No don't!" shouted Plasma Burner, but it was too late. Rainbow had already flown out of the house. "She'll never make it! Those thunder clouds will zap her right out of the sky in mere seconds!"

"You have to go after her!" shouted Spitfire, "You're the only one who can move through those clouds without getting scorched by the lightning!"

"I can't," said Plasma Burner, "I don't do that kind of flying anymore, I'm afraid she's on her own."

"Please!" begged Fluttershy, "You have to save her! She's my best friend!"

"I'm sorry, but I can't." said Plasma Burner as he began heading up the stairs.

"What do we do?" asked Fluttershy.

"There's nothing we can do, not even I can fly through a storm as bad as that one." said Spitfire.

"What happened to Plasma Burner? Why won't he help her?" asked Fluttershy.

Spitfire became uncomfortable when she asked that question; she took a second to think and then took in a deep breath. "When Plasma Burner was still captain of the Wonderbolts, there was this young filly he met one day. The little colt said he was Plasma Burner's biggest fan, it was cute really. He had this little doll of Plasma Burner, and he asked for his signature. He believed there was nothing that Plasma Burner couldn't do. Then one day, there was an accident during one of our shows. They never found out what caused the accident, but it endangered the lives of the audience. We helped the guards with the evacuation, then Plasma Burner decided to make one last sweep to make sure nopony was left behind." Spitfire began to quiver as tears began forming in her eyes.

"What's wrong Spitfire? What happened?" asked Fluttershy.

Spitfire wiped the tears off her face, "When he went to check inside, the building started becoming unstable. It began to fall apart as he was flying inside, then out of the corner of his eye he spotted somepony. It was the little filly he had met before, it seems he went back to retrieve the doll of Plasma Burner that he dropped during the chaos. Plasma Burner flew towards the young colt in an attempt to save him, but he didn't make it in time. Plasma Burner blames himself for being too slow to save him in time; he left right after the filly's funeral. He never even said goodbye to us. As far as we know, he never flies like he used to because he's afraid of being too slow again."

"That's terrible!" said Fluttershy, "But if he doesn't help Rainbow, then she might not make it either! Isn't there anyway to convince him?"

Spitfire lowered her head as roars of thunder could be heard inside, "I'm afraid not, there's nothing we can do for her."

"Maybe you can't, but I can." said Plasma Burner as he came down the steps.

Spitfire looked over to see him wearing his old uniform, "Plasma Burner? You're wearing your old uniform! You even have your badge on! Does this mean..."

"Yes, just don't get used to it." he said as he headed towards the door. He turned his head to face Fluttershy, "These suits are meant to provide extra protection for harsh weather conditions. Hey Spits, hold onto this for me would you?" He handed her a small torn doll of himself with his signature on it.

Spitfire's eyes widened, "Isn't this?"

"Yes, I've kept it ever since the accident." He opened the door and put on his goggles. "I kept it to remind myself of my mistake, but now it's to remind me that I can never let anything like that happen ever again!" He took off to the skies like a blur; they never even saw his wings move an inch.

Spitfire stared with wide eyes, "He's even faster then he was before!"

Rainbow was lost in the middle of the storm searching for her home. She couldn't navigate with lightning crashing all over the place; the cold weather was affecting her flying too. She could barely keep her eyes open anymore, she was grazed by a bolt of lightning and she began to lose consciousness and fell towards the ground. She opened her eyes to see that she was about to fall through another thunder cloud but she couldn't move her wings, Plasma Burner came in a flash before the cloud could strike her with another bolt of lightning. It ended up hitting Plasma Burner's wing instead; he still had to get Rainbow back to his house though. He mustered up every bit of strength he had left to fly them both back to safety. They ended up crashing on his cloud before he carried her inside.

"Get her in bed, now!" shouted Plasma Burner.

Spitfire ran up to him, "Plasma Burner! Your wing! Are you okay?"

"I'll be fine, just focus on her for now! We need to put her in bed right away!" shouted Plasma Burner.

Fluttershy took Rainbow upstairs and put her in bed, Plasma Burner laid on the couch with Spitfire. She began wrapping his wing in bandages before the bleeding could get any worse. He felt sparks of pain now and then but lucky for him his injuries weren't too serious, or so he thought. Fluttershy decided to check up on Plasma Burner to see if he was okay. After that the three of them walked upstairs and went to check on Rainbow. She didn't have any major injuries on her, but her temperature was dangerously low. They grabbed some extra blankets and placed them carefully on the bed. Plasma Burner walked over by her side and stared at Rainbow.

"You know," Spitfire began, "She only went into that storm to prove herself to you. It seems she wanted to impress you."

Plasma Burner moved his hoof to brush Rainbows hair away from her face and smiled, "She's so stubborn. She thinks she can do anything she wants."

Spitfire smiled at him, "You know, you used to be like that too when you were a Wonderbolt in training."

He began to blush in embarrassment, "What are you talking about? I actually made it into the Wonderbolts. This one is too reckless, she's just a novice!"

Spitfire moved closer to him, "You were too at the beginning; you had someone to teach you everything you would ever need to know. Perhaps you can do the same for her?"

Plasma Burner began to think about her words, "Maybe you're right. She could become a great Wonderbolt, maybe even better then I ever was."

"Huh? Where am I?" asked Rainbow as she began to open her eyes.

"Safe." said Plasma Burner, "I told you it was too dangerous to fly out there. How are you feeling?"

"My head hurts." said Rainbow as she began rubbing her head, "What happened? I remember flying through the clouds and then nothing."

Plasma Burner moved in closer, "You were struck by lightning, but it doesn't look like you have any physical wounds."

Rainbow noticed his bandages, "What happened to your wing?! Wait, now I remember. You saved me, didn't you?"

He turned his head to look at his wing, "Yeah, so long as I don't fly for a couple of days then I'll be fine. You on the other hand are in big trouble. You owe me big time."

Rainbow lowered her head, "I'm sorry, I just wanted to show you how good of a flyer I was."

Plasma Burner lifted her chin up with his hoof, "I'll admit, you're not as bad as I thought you were for lasting that long out there. That's not good enough to become a Wonderbolt though."

"So how am I then?" asked Rainbow.

"A little above a novice, but just a little." he said while turning his head around.

"I'm no novice! I'll show you whose a novice! I demand a race from you! This is no longer a request!" shouted Rainbow as she shot out of bed.

Plasma Burner turned to face her with a smile, "Very well then! You will have your race, and then we will see just where you stand!"

"Why don't we make this interesting?" said Rainbow.

"What do you have in mind?" asked Plasma Burner.

"If I win, then you have to teach me how to fly as fast as you do!" She moved her eyes toward Spitfire, "And you'll also have to go on a date with Spitfire! Thinking of backing out yet?"

"Wait what?!" shouted Spitfire as she began to blush.

"Not a chance! I accept your terms!" shouted Plasma Burner, "But if I win, then I teach you my way. And you'll have to go on a date with me! I bet you want to back out now huh?"

Rainbow began to blush as well "N-n-n-no way! Going on a date with a Wonderbolt, you think I would be scared of something like that? I accept your terms as well!" shouted Rainbow. They both shook their hooves in agreement.

"Wait...what?!" shouted Spitfire once more.

"Next weekend, the same track I chose when I first challenged you!" said Rainbow, "Prepare yourself, because you're going to eat my dust!"

Plasma Burner moved in closer, "Trust me Rainbow, it won't be much of a race without a 'real' opponent to challenge me. Now get back into bed, you need to rest." He began walking out of the room as Spitfire followed him out.

"How could you agree to something like that?!" asked Spitfire with red cheeks.

"I didn't think she would go through with it after I made my demands. I can't believe she actually agreed to go on a date with me if I win. It's almost sad really; she stands no chance of winning. I can't lose on purpose out of pity though, cause then I'd have to date you." he said as he looked at her.

"What's wrong with that?" asked Spitfire as she raised her eyebrow.

"I just didn't expect to have to take either of you on a date is all." he said as he went to his couch. "It looks like the storm isn't stopping any time soon; I guess you'll all have to spend the night here."

Author's Note:

Hooray! Chapter two, it came a lot quicker than I originally anticipated. Well I hope you all enjoy it, and remember that feedback is greatly appreciated!