• Published 8th Dec 2013
  • 1,246 Views, 23 Comments

The New Pegasus In Town - Scarlet Wonder



Rainbow Dash's title for greatest flyer in Equestria is in jeopardy when a new Pegasus moves into Ponyville and shows off some incredible speed. Rainbow Dash then decides to figure out who this stranger is and why he's in Ponyville.

  • ...
4
 23
 1,246

That Stormy Night

The storm was relentless, thunder and lightning clashed outside the cloud home as Plasma Burner watched the rain fall from his living room window. Spitfire was sitting next to him staring at him, she hadn't seen him in years yet here he was sitting merely a few inches away from her. For years she's looked back on the days of when they used to fly together and when ponies from all over the world would come by just to see the team in action. It was hard for her when she had to take charge as the new captain, she feared for the future of the Wonderbolts. She struggled when the time came to find a new member who could replace Plasma Burner. As she stared at Plasma Burner she failed to notice that Rainbow and Fluttershy had entered the room giving her a slight scare when she finally felt their presence.

"So how are you feeling?" asked Plasma Burner as he continued to monitor the storm.

"A bit better." said Rainbow as she opened her wings, "I think I'm good enough to fly now, thanks for your help earlier."

"Don't mention it." said Plasma Burner.

"But, there's something that's been bothering me. How did you know where to find me in that storm?" asked Rainbow.

Plasma Burner turned his head around to look at Rainbow, "I heard you calling out for help."

Rainbow raised an eyebrow, "I never called for help in the storm."

"You did, the wind told me so." said Plasma Burner.

"What do you mean the wind told you?" asked Rainbow, "You've said that before, but I still don't get what you mean by that. How can the wind tell you something?"

Plasma Burner moved off of his sofa, "Someday you'll understand." He began walking towards the stairs but stopped midway when he walked by Rainbow Dash, "By the way, I know you've been watching me through your friends telescope for the past couple of days."

Rainbow Dash's cheeks began to burn up, "What, how did you know about that?!"

"The wind told me." he said as he continued walking past her. He moved to the middle of the room, "Now unfortunately it doesn't seem like the storm is going to calm down anytime soon, so you're all going to have to spend the night with me. The problem is that I have only two rooms, so we're going to need to decide who's sleeping with whom."

Everypony in the room stopped and looked back and forth from each other, except for Plasma Burner who walked up the stairs to prepare the guest room. Fluttershy wasn't worried because she planned to sleep with Rainbow since they were such good friends, but Rainbow had other plans. She thought that if she spent the night with Plasma Burner then she might learn more about him and his days as a Wonderbolt. She wasn't the only one thinking that way though, Spitfire wanted to use this opportunity to try to convince him to re-join the Wonderbolts. That wasn't all though, she had something important that she needed to tell him no matter what. Rainbow and Spitfire stared at each other knowing that only one of them would accomplish their goals tonight.

Plasma Burner came walking down the stairs, "Okay so I've cleared up the room a little, but I'll finish the minor details later when we go to bed. We still have plenty of time before then, so how about I make us some dinner?"

Spitfire quickly turned her head, "It's been so long since I've had some of your cooking! What are you going to make?"

"I was thinking of making some tomato soup." said Plasma Burner as he walked towards the kitchen.

Spitfire quickly ran up and blocked him off from the kitchen, "Hold on! There is no way I'm going to let you make soup by yourself!"

Rainbow looked over at Spitfire, "Why? He's a great cook!"

"Yeah!" added Plasma Burner, "I didn't hear any complaints coming from you and Soarin the last time I made soup."

"That's because we were smart enough to not eat any!" said Spitfire, "You mixed up the tomato sauce with hot sauce! Not only that, but you also added too much salt!"

"I thought it tasted fine!" said Plasma Burner.

"You're hopeless when it comes to making soup. Here, I'll lend you a helping hoof in the kitchen." said Spitfire as she headed towards the kitchen with him.

"Fine then, here, take this." said Plasma Burner as he held out an apron.

"What, why do I have to wear this?!" asked Spitfire.

"My house, my kitchen, my rules." said Plasma Burner as he began taking out the necessary ingredients, "What's wrong Spit's, scared of wearing a little apron?"

"N-not at all!" said Spitfire as she pulled the apron over her head. "There, see? No problem at all."

"Good, now let's get started." said Plasma Burner as he pulled out the last of the ingredients.

Twenty Minutes Later

Spitfire picked up a spoon and took a little taste of the soup, "Mmm! That's good! Try it!" She held out the spoon for Plasma Burner.

Plasma Burner leaned in and took a small taste, "You're right. That is good!"

Spitfire began stirring the soup with the spoon, "You know, this reminds me of the old days."

Plasma Burner simply looked at her without turning his head to face her.

"Remember? We used to cook together in the kitchen back home. Soarin would always complain about why we would take so long with making the food. Whenever we caught him trying to sneak a taste I would hit him in the back of his head with the spatula."

Plasma Burner turned his body around, "I don't think about the past anymore. It brings nothing but bad memories." He began walking towards the table where Rainbow and Fluttershy were waiting.

Spitfire put her hoof out to Plasma Burner and tried to say something to him, but the words got stuck in her throat and she couldn't speak. Just when she thought she had moved one step closer, she moves two steps back.

"Are you two ready to eat?" asked Plasma Burner.

"You know it!" said Rainbow, "Let's see this amazing soup!"

"Thank you very much for making us dinner mister Plasma Burner sir." said Fluttershy as she bowed her head a little.

"Well you're very welcome Fluttershy. I'll bring you your soup now." He went to get four bowls and began pouring the soup into each bowl. Then he and Spitfire carefully brought the bowls to the table and set them down one at a time.

Rainbow was the first to take a sip, "Wow! This is amazing! I've never tasted anything this good before!"

Spitfire turned to her, "You should have seen Soarin whenever Plasma Burner made dinner. He would scarf his food down like an animal! On occasion he would challenge Plasma Burner here to see who could finish their dish first."

"Really, who won?" asked Rainbow.

"I did." said Plasma Burner, "I'm not just the fastest flyer in all of Equestria you know."

"Oh really?" said Rainbow as she raised an eyebrow, "How about you prove it?"

"Is that a challenge?" asked Plasma Burner.

"First one to finish their bowl wins!" said Rainbow.

"Is that right? So what do I get once I win?" asked Plasma Burner.

"Don't think it'll be that easy! The loser has to wash all the dishes!" said Rainbow.

"Very well, I accept your challenge!" said Plasma Burner as he nodded at Spitfire.

"Ready?" said Spitfire as she raised a hoof, "Three, two, one, GO!"

Rainbow immediately raised her bowl with her hooves and began eating the soup with all her might. She didn't want to stop, she couldn't stop. She could feel the last of the soup going down her throat as she slammed her bowl down with a grin as soup was dripping down her face. She lifted her chin and her jaw dropped as she saw that Plasma Burner's bowl was already empty. She couldn't believe it, he didn't spill a single drop on his face yet her face was covered in soup.

"How, how did you do that?!" she asked.

"I told you I'm the fastest." said Plasma Burner. "Thanks for volunteering to do our dishes Rainbow Dash." He placed his bowl over Rainbow's bowl and headed up the stairs.

"Great, I'm on dish duty." grumbled Rainbow.

"You shouldn't have challenged him to it. You were practically walking into your own defeat." said Spitfire as she passed by with her bowl. She dropped it into the pile that was building on Rainbow's side of the table. Now is my chance. She thought. She headed up the stairs to find Plasma Burner.

"Don't worry Rainbow, I'll help you clean the dishes." said Fluttershy as she carried her bowl to the sink.

"Thanks Fluttershy." said Rainbow as she carried her three bowls to the sink.

Upstairs

Plasma Burner was in the guest room cleaning up the last bit of the mess inside. "I know you're there Spitfire, you can't hide form me."

Spitfire walked in and closed the door behind her, "So you knew huh?"

"Yup, you know I've been reading up on the Wonderbolts since I left, I heard you replaced my position with...what's her name? Fleetfoot! She's not bad. She still has a lot to learn though; I can see it in her flight technique."

"Yeah, she's okay."

"How's Soarin doing?"

"He's fine, he asked me out a few weeks ago."

"Is that so?"

"I turned him down though."

"I see."

"Aren't you going to ask me why?"

"I'm sure you had your reasons."

"Won't you please reconsider?"

"I already told you that I'm not going back to the Wonderbolts Spitfire."

"Why? We need you captain!"

"..."

"I need you."

"Don't."

"My feelings haven't changed since last time Plasma Burner."

"Spitfire, you are the captain of the Wonderbolts! You know you cannot let your feelings get in the way of your responsibilities as captain!"

"Captain please, I still love you."

Outside the door Rainbow Dash was listening in on their conversation. She had finished the dishes early and wanted to talk to Plasma Burner but she noticed that the door had been closed and decided to listen in. She could not believe what she had just heard. She began to back away from the door and ran back down the stairs, when she made back down she ran for the couch and sat down. She grabbed one of the pillows and squeezed it tightly; she didn't know why this made her feel uneasy on the inside. She heard the door open upstairs and looked over to see Plasma Burner come down the stairs. When he looked over to her Rainbow turned back and stared out the window.

Fluttershy walked over to the couch, "Rainbow, are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah, I'm alright Fluttershy." said Rainbow as she turned to face her, "My stomach just feels a little upset from eating the soup too quickly."

"Is there anything I can do to help?" asked Fluttershy.

"Don't worry." said Plasma Burner, "I know a little remedy that will help. I used to make it whenever Soarin got a stomach ache, which was about every other day."

As he walked over to the kitchen to prepare the remedy, Fluttershy leaned in close to Rainbow. "What's wrong Rainbow?"

Rainbow looked over to make sure Plasma Burner wasn't looking and whispered to Fluttershy, "Fluttershy, Spitfire is in love with Plasma Burner. I was upstairs when I heard them talking alone."

"What else happened?" Fluttershy asked.

"I don't know, I ran away after I heard her say that. I don't know why but, when I heard her say that it made me feel a bit uneasy inside. My heart feels like it's in pain."

"Rainbow Dash, d-do you like Plasma Burner?" Fluttershy asked.

"Say what now?! No way, I don't like him! I mean, he's nice, he's really fast, and he's a good flyer..." she turned her head towards him, "He saved my life, he has a nice mane, he's handsome..." Rainbow began blushing and shook her head, "Uh, I mean, uh..."

"You do like him!" squeaked Fluttershy.

"No I don't! I don't like him Fluttershy; I just met him about a week ago! There's no way I like him." Rainbow looked past Fluttershy, "He's coming this way, act natural!"

"Here, drink this. It'll calm your stomach." said Plasma Burner as he handed Rainbow a small cup.

*Sniff* *Sniff* "Eww, what is this stuff?!" asked Rainbow.

"Sorry, but that's a secret." said Plasma Burner, "Now drink, the sooner you finish it, the sooner your pain will go away."

"Right, so what's the plan for later?" asked Rainbow as she drank the remedy.

"I already took care of it. Spitfire and Fluttershy will sleep in the guest room. You and I will sleep in my room." he said as he took the cup from Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash nearly spit out all of the medicine, "WHAT?!"

"What's wrong? Is there a problem?" asked Plasma Burner.

"Uh, well, wouldn't you rather sleep with Spitfire?" asked Rainbow.

"Having her around will only remind me of my past, and I don't like remembering the past." said Plasma Burner as he made his way to the kitchen.

Rainbow looked over at him, "What do you mean by tha..."

Fluttershy stopped her, "Don't ask, it will only hurt him."

Spitfire came down from upstairs, when Rainbow looked over she noticed Spitfire wiping a tear off of her face. She didn't know what happened after she stopped listening in, but she had a clue what it was. She got what she wanted though; she was the one who would end up sleeping with Plasma Burner. Now she could use this opportunity to learn more about him and his days as a Wonderbolt, but now she wasn't sure whether she should feel happy or not. What Rainbow wanted to know now was, what was Plasma Burner's response to Spitfire's feelings?

"So, how are you feeling now?" asked Plasma Burner.

"Huh? Oh yeah, wait a moment...the pain is already gone!" said Rainbow in surprise.

"I told you it would help." said Plasma Burner. Suddenly a loud boom came from outside the window followed by a white light. "It looks like the storm is getting worse. We should go to sleep now before the storm get's so bad that we won't even be able to fall asleep."

"Yeah, that sounds like a good idea." said Fluttershy as she cowered on the floor.

"Relax Fluttershy," said Plasma Burner as he kneeled down next to Fluttershy, "The lightning won't be able to hurt you so long as you're in here with me, okay?"

"Okay, I'm okay now." said Fluttershy as she slowly rose from the ground.

Plasma Burner rose up with her, "Good, now let's all get to bed."

With that said, they all headed to their rooms. Plasma Burner first led Fluttershy and Spitfire to the room they would be using for the night. A minor issue that came up was that Fluttershy asked for a night light since she was terrified, so Plasma Burner did something that none of them expected. He took a piece of his cloud home and morphed it into a little cloud that surged with electricity. The cloud gave off a warm glow that lit the room; none of them believed that was even possible. After that was done, he and Rainbow made their way to his room.

Rainbow began breathing heavily, "I can't believe I'm standing in the room of somepony who used to be captain of the Wonderbolts!"

"Don't get used to it." said Plasma Burner, "Can you stand over here please?"

"Wait, why?" she asked.

"It's your wings, they're very messy from earlier. You were too rough with your wings when flying, so I'm going to preen them." said Plasma Burner.

"I-I can preen them on my own!" said Rainbow with a blush. Nopony but Fluttershy knew that Rainbow's wings were really sensitive.

"Oh no you don't, as long as your in my home you'll do things my way. Now get over here and spread your wings, trust me, I've learned a lot about good techniques for preening a Pegasus' wings over my travels."

"N-no way, I can preen them on my..."

"I know that your wings are sensitive to the touch Rainbow Dash."

"You know?! What gave it away?!"

"It was the way the lightning struck you. It barely grazed your wings, yet right after your wings simply froze up and you passed out. I've dealt with lightning before, so even after you were grazed by the lightning you still should've been able to fly."

"I see, so I guess the secrets out of the bag huh?"

"Don't worry, I won't tell anypony about it. I understand the need for wanting to keep something a secret better than anypony. Now come, let me preen your wings."

"Alright, but you promise?"

"Of course Rainbow, now spread your wings."

"Just be careful, please?"

"That sounded like you were begging."

"Shut up! I do not beg!"

"We'll just see about that." Plasma Burner began to preen Rainbows wings. Rainbow struggled to keep a level head the entire time. What she did not expect was for Plasma Burner to be so gentle with her wings, it felt good to her. Her cheeks burned a bright red the entire time as he went through her wings. Her legs trembled at the smallest touch; the sensation flowed throughout her body. It took every ounce of strength to keep from moaning. "Hmmm, your wings are interesting. They remind me of my own."

"A-aren't all wings the same?" asked Rainbow.

"No, each Pegasus pony has different wings. Yours, however, are a rare type. You don't see our type of wings very often these days."

"I-I see. A-are you almost done back there?" she asked. Her legs were shaking from the feeling of Plasma Burner touching her wings.

"Almost, I just have a little more to go." He plucked a few feathers out and ran his hoof through the other to make sure they were strong and healthy. "There, I'm finished."

Rainbow collapsed onto the floor still blushing and breathing heavily. Her hooves were still shaking from his gentle touch. She felt a sudden wind go by her and soon noticed that she was on Plasma Burner's back. "W-what, w-what are you doing? I-I could've gotten up myself you know, eventually."

"I couldn't just leave you on the floor like that, besides you need rest from earlier. I'm going to need to get my wings preened as well. Actually, I should get rid of these bandages. I can feel how filthy they are."

"H-hey wait, you did my wings so it's only fair that I get to do yours." said Rainbow.

"I don't think you want to do that Rainbow. Besides, you can't preen my wings. They're not healed yet."

"How bad is the injury?" asked Rainbow.

Plasma Burner walked over and gently placed Rainbow on his bed, "Don't worry about it. I'll be changing the bandages in the other room here so please wait a moment."

Plasma Burner walked into the other room and Rainbow lied down on the bed. She could hear him removing the bandages in the other room. She could hear him agonizing over the pain he felt from his wings as he removed the bandages. Eventually she heard him re-wrapping his wings with new bandages. He opened the door and came out, Rainbow turned her head as her whole body went into shock. Plasma burner was carrying the old bandages with him; they were completely covered in blood. He walked over to a nearby trash basket and threw the old bandages away.

"I'm sorry." said Rainbow.

"Don't be sorry, if anything I should be thanking you." said Plasma Burner.

"What? Why? You got hurt because of me!"

"I've been hurting for many years Rainbow Dash. Yet you were the one who got me flying back out in the skies again. It felt great to have the wind in my face again. You don't have to apologize for this little wound."

"Well I guess this means I owe you for saving my life huh?"

"I guess it does. So, I bet you were a little concerned about what happened between me and Spitfire huh?"

Rainbows eyes shot open, "I guess you could tell I was there because of the wind huh?"

"Yeah, so I bet you have some questions for me don't you?"

"She told you she loved you, what did you do about it?"

"It's not something that will ever be. The captain of the Wonderbolts must be focused on their duties and nothing else, that's what it means to be the captain. Spitfire and I loved each other very much back in the past, but being captain kept me from spending any time with her. Back then me and Spitfire were planning on leaving the Wonderbolts and live the rest of our lives together, but then there was...let's just say some things happened. After that, I left the Wonderbolts and chose to never look back. Now she is captain, her duties in life must remain with the Wonderbolts so long as she remains captain."

"So, you didn't tell her that you loved her back?"

"No, I didn't. I don't love her the way I used to back then. Things were different back in the old days."

"What about now? Do you have anypony that you care about deeply?"

"Hmm? Why the sudden interest in my love life Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow began blushing, "N-no reason!"

"Right, do me a favor. Now that you've stopped shaking from having your wings preened, I want you to try to open your wings."

"You want me to open my wings?" Rainbow did as instructed and opened her wings. They immediately shot open faster than they used to, "Whoa, my wings! What's going on?"

"I've preened your wings to better suit yourself for high speed flying. Before I preened your wings they had excess feathers that only weighed them down, I shifted some of them and removed the unnecessary ones. This will make you much faster."

"Awesome, but why do this for me?"

"Because after we race next weekend I'm going to end up teaching you one way or another. I'm just preparing you so it seems like you actually stand a chance at winning."

"Say what?! I'll show you! I'm going to win next weekend! And once I win, you'll have to go on that date with Spitfi..." Rainbow stopped herself in her tracks.

"What's the matter? Are you having second thoughts about the bet? Have you already accepted the fact that you can't beat me?"

"No not at all! It's just that..."

"The idea of Spitfire and me dating bothers you?"

"No, that doesn't bother me at all!"

"You can't hide anything from me Rainbow, I could tell from the moment you ran into the living room. The wind told me that you are feeling upset deep down inside. You may have been able to keep it secret, but Fluttershy's wind told me everything I needed to know."

"W-w-what are you talking about?" Rainbow asked as her head began spinning slightly.

Plasma Burner looked over to her with concern. "Rainbow, are you feeling okay? There's something off about the wind around you."

"I feel fine...wait, something's off. I feel...hot."

Plasma Burner walked over and placed his hoof on her head, "You're burning up! You must be getting sick from flying in that storm. Here, get into bed." He began tucking Rainbow under the covers.

"I'm getting sick? I'm supposed to help the weather team clear this storm tomorrow!" said Rainbow as she began to breathe heavier.

"Don't worry, I'll fill in for you." said Plasma Burner as he walked to the other side of the bed.

"No, I'm sure I'll be better by tomorrow. There's no way I'm losing to some cold." said Rainbow. *Sniff* "Aw man, my nose."

"Just rest Rainbow, everything will be fine tomorrow." said Plasma Burner as he entered the bed.

As he entered the bed, Rainbow Dash turned her body away from Plasma Burner. She knew she wanted to get to know him better, but now she wasn't sure if that was all she wanted. An hour passed by and Rainbow took a quick glance back at Plasma Burner to look at his bandaged wing. She felt guilty about having rushed into the storm like that, she knew it was a bad idea but she just wanted to prove her worth to him. There was a sudden bolt of lightning that crashed outside the window which caused Rainbow to yelp, she then began to quiver in fear. She kept shaking until she felt a pair of hooves wrap around her waist.

Her ears perked up and she began blushing as she turned around to see Plasma Burner right behind her, "W-w-what are you doing?"

"Don't worry; you're safe so long as you're with me...zzzz...never be too slow again."

"Is he asleep?" Rainbow looked down at where Plasma Burner held her. She put her hooves over his and tightened his grip, "I know I shouldn't be, but this makes me feel happy." Rainbow carefully turned her body around to face Plasma Burner without loosening his grip on her, "Spitfire loves you, she's loved you ever since you were a Wonderbolt. So is it wrong for me to enjoy this? I was confused about what I felt earlier, but I think I know what it is now. Even after I bothered you endlessly about not being a Wonderbolt, you risked your life just to save me. I guess Fluttershy was right, I really do like you."

Rainbow snuggled up next to Plasma Burner and rested in his embrace. She knew that Spitfire still loved him, but that didn't matter to her. She knew that she couldn't simply ignore what she felt towards Plasma Burner. If Plasma Burner could hear the voices of the wind, then she would tell him everything he needed to know in their next flight together. She still had a race to look forward to and she was determined to show him her stuff when that moment arrives.

Author's Note:

Wow, it's been a long time since I updated this story! Sorry about that, I promise I wont take as long for the next one. That doesn't mean I'm going to be publishing chapter every week, all of my efforts are still going towards my main story. Thank you for reading, feedback is greatly appreciated.