• Published 20th Nov 2013
  • 524 Views, 22 Comments

The possibilities of a dreary day - DerpyStarlet



How does it feel to lose your friends? I can tell you, it doesn't feel good. And it can't be avoided, but it can be helped. Here is the story of one such helper. It is also the story of the ones she's helped.

  • ...
4
 22
 524

The Twilight Lost It's Sparkle

A purple alicorn lies in her chambers, she doesn’t feel like getting up. Not today, not while she still thinks about that day. The alicorn looks forlornly at all of the books around her, she’s read them all at least four times. Various spells, enchantments, and anything else she could think to find that might help her cope or even bring back her friends. Princess Celestia had warned her of the dangers of if she were able to pull off such a spell, Twilight was ready to give up her own life just to bring her five friends back.

Alas she found no spell, enchantment, or anything else that could help her. Twilight tried to perform an illusory spell just so she could see them again, but the spell requires a fresh image. Twilight tried anyways and the results were horrifying. What came out were distorted and sick parodies of the ponies they were meant to be, they gave Twilight nightmares for a solid week. That’s only when she isn’t having the regular recurring nightmare.

Luna tried to help her, but Twilight found now that she’s an alicorn it’s impossible for Luna to help her. Her mind now has a stronger magical block during nightmares than before. The nightmare activates a defensive instinct in her, this causes her mind to put up a very strong magical bock each time. An alicorn has stronger magic than regular ponies, if it were any other pony Luna would have no problem forcing her way past the magical block. Herbal remedies help sometimes, but then the nightmares are worse when she doesn’t take them. Twilight chooses to bear the nightmares as best she can, rather than using an immense amount of herbal remedies.

Twilight hopes that if she can find some sort of closure, that the nightmares will cease. She hasn’t lived in Ponyville for a year, but she knows that she can go back to the library anytime. She’s rarely anywhere besides her bedroom chambers, the library, or the archives. She’s been working on many things this whole time, but there are two main objectives. To find a spell to fit her need, or to make a spell that fits her needs. Her needs include one of three things, she can either bring her friends back to life, bring them back in a sentient form, or recreate them. Magic like that is all dark or forbidden, they also have horrible reprimands. The only thing that’s stopped her from performing them is Spike, he urges her to try and find an alternative. For Spike’s sake, Twilight’s been looking for a spell of similar effect, but with safer outcomes.

Spike knows there are no spells, so does Twilight. Spike would rather have Twilight on a wild goose chase than give up her life just to bring her friends back. Twilight clings to the small bit of hope that there is a way to cheat death and bring them back without terrible repercussions. Spike leaves Twilight to hr studying and mostly hangs around the castle. He tries to be with Twilight, but it’s hard with how isolated she’s become. He just wishes he could have the old Twilight back, maybe move back to Ponyville. He just wishes Twilight would give up her search. He’s tried reasoning with her, but she just won’t listen.

Even Princess Celestia has tried reasoning with her, sometimes Twilight listens. Princess Celestia has pleaded with Twilight many times, but Twilight refuses to cooperate. Cadance hads tried to just take some time to be with Twilight, but Twilight is too engulfed in her studies. Shining Armor has tried to just take some time to be with Twilight, but Twilight is too engulfed in her studies. Shining Armor has tried and failed, same with her parents. Twilight believes that her research can bring them back, she’s holding onto the only hope she has.

Twilight heaves herself out of bed and stretches her wings wide. She hasn’t decided what she’s going to do today, she’s torn between studying and going to the graveyard. She feels that if she goes to the graveyard, it’s like accepting that they’re gone for good. Twilight decides to study, when her studying comes to fruition she won’t need the graveyard. Twilight saunters over to a desk near the door with her breakfast on it, Spike must have brought it for her. Twilight digs in, she glances at her books for todays research. Twilight looks at the other side of her desk and sees her crown, the element of magic. Twilight had traced the origins of the elements back to see if they could help her at all, she only found a tree. The tree was no help at all, so Twilight left it alone. She plans on going back and maybe researching it, but only after she finds what she’s looking for. Twilight has taken into account the fact that the elements might help her with doing what she needs, but they stopped working. The elements don’t work independently, so Twilight put an end to that train of thought.

Twilight thinks back to the entire reason she doesn’t know how her friends died, the element of magic itself. She was chasing after her crown, Twilight can remember when she got back vividly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 12 months earlier ~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight stumbles through the mirror and onto her hooves, she has the element of magic on her head. She shakes her head from the dizziness and smiles up at Princess Celestia.

“Welcome back my prized pupil. Or should I say, former pupil. Princess Celestia offers a small smile.

“I’m glad to be back Princess, I have the crown,” Twilight says cheerily.

“I can see that,” Celestia’s smile stays, but her tone falters. Twilight can tell that her former mentor is less than happy.

“Did I do something wrong?” Twilight asks fearfully. Celestia’s smile falls and she takes a sigh, she moves to Twilight and lays a wing over her.

“You’ve done nothing wrong, you performed admirably. Both you an Spike,” Celestia nods to the dragon at Twilights side and he beams back at her. “Why don’t you two get some rest and we can discuss things once you’ve rested,” Twilight looks at Celestia and sees sadness etched across her features. Twilight to the other two ponies in the room and sees similar looks on their faces.

“Has something happened?” Twilight asks.

“Yes, but we can discuss it once you’re ready to hear it,” Celestia replies.

“I’m ready right now,” Twilight says determinedly. Celestia sighs and folds her wings into her body, she turns and sits facing Twilight.

“Very well…” Celestia pauses to gather her thoughts,” Tragedy has hit Ponyville. It was being attacked by a mysterious creature and your friends left to go help them. We just got word that they have…” Celestia seems caught on the last word, but she continues. “Perished. They are gone,” Celestia finishes sadly. Twilight sits with her mouth gaping before shutting it quickly.

“How? How did it happen?” Twilight stutters in shock. Princess Luna moves to Twilight and sits next to her, followed by Cadence on the opposing side.

“We know not how it happened, there were no witnesses to the actual death, but there were ponies that witnessed the threat in the town. Supposedly the threat was Timberwolves. The five chased the threat into the Everfree, one pony found their bodies lifeless this morning. Ponies say that the Timberwolves got them, but the state of their bodies claim contrary.” Princess Luna informs, Twilight sits speechless as tears well in her eyes. Spike is in a similar state, his mouth hangs open in shock.

“Twilight, I’m so sorry-” Cadence starts, but Twilight cuts her off.

“Why? Is it your fault?” Twilight snaps, Cadence is taken aback by Twilights tone.

“T-Twilight… No, I-” Cadence is cut off once more by Twilight.

“If it’s not your fault, I don’t want your `I’m sorry`, Twilight spits icily, her gaze is downcast.

“Twilight, that’s no way to treat-” Princess Celestia starts, but Twilight cuts her off as well.

“Treat who? A princess? I’m a princess too. A sibling? How about when you sent your sister to the moon? Should I send Cadence to the moon, `Princess`?” Twilights tone is sharp and cuts into Celestia’s heart. Celestia steps back in shock and her mouth drops open in shock.

“I… I…” Celestia tries to form words, but nothing comes out. She’s shocked at this change in her former students personality.

“Twilight, calm yourself. Don’t let your anger take control,” Luna warns.

“Or what? I’ll bring on the night eternal? You were so great at that, I didn’t realize eternity lasted five minutes.” Twilight sneers. Luna opens her mouth to say something, but then she just turns away, hurt.

“Twilight?!” Spike finally speaks up.

“Not now Spike, the adults are talking,” Twilight says, Spike fumes at her tone.

“Twilight! This isn’t right! I know you’re sad, but you don’t have to treat everyone tis way because of it,” Spike yells, Twilight just stares at him hard. Then she turns and walks to the door, at the door she turns back.

“I’m going to bed,” Twilight slams the door after she leaves three very shocked princesses and one downcast dragon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Present ~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight sighs, she’s never apologized for what she’s said, but she can’t bring herself to believe it was unwarranted. She’s been too busy to apologize anyway, she has to find som way to bring her friends back. Twilight finishes up her meal and just leaves her dirty plate there. One of the castle maids will clean it up while she’s in the library.

Twilight grabs her books in her magical grip, she takes one last look at her crown and leaves it on the desk. Twilight carries her books down the halls of Canterlot Castle with her, she carries them all the way to the castles Library. Twilight carries them in and shuts the library door, she casts a lock spell on all the doors and windows. This spell allows only her to open these doors by casting the unlocking spell, she uses it to make sure no one disturbs her studying. She also casts a magical barrier that restricts teleportation magic and all it’s variants, for extra privacy.

Twilight gets to studying where she left off, re-reading a book on magical theory. Twilight's mind is plagued with images of the day after she found out about the deaths, when they held the funeral.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 12 months earlier ~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight sits next to Spike as she listens to the processions, she can’t believe this is happening. It seems like just yesterday she was having fun with her friends, it was yesterday. But they were a different set of friends, even if they were so familiar. Twilight can’t help but hate herself for not being here to help her friends.

“Would anypony like to say a few words?” Twilight stands abruptly and walks stiffly to the podium. Twilight arrives at the podium and looks out at the crowd, she gathers her thoughts for a moment and then speaks.

“ I have known these ponies for a long time, and I loved them dearly. I still love them dearly… They taught me all about friendship and what it means to be a friend, and I will never forget it. Applejack taught me that friends and family are practically the same thing. Rainbow Dash taught me that friends will always be there for you. Rarity taught me that if you give from your heart, a good friend will always know how special it is. Pinkie Pie taught me that everything will be ok. Fluttershy taught me that even the smallest amount of kindness is appreciated. They all taught me these lessons, and many more.” Twilight tells the crowd.

“I spent the first part of my life engulfed in studies, always learning and never bothering to make friends. I believe that in our time together, I’ve learned more lessons than in my studies. I learned better lessons, important lessons. All because Celestia kicked me out and told me to go make friends,” Twilight laughs lightly and Celestia smiles.

“That first day I wasn’t enthusiastic about making friends, but I look back on that day fondly. And the first time I used the elements, I knew from that point on that we were meant to be together… The elements…” I think on the elements and I feel an unusual emotion, “The elements of harmony, powered by our friendship. They’re gone, there’s no friendship to power them,” Twilight says bitterly.

“These elements are the reason I’m a princess, I’m a princess ascended to the throne by friendship, I’m a princess of Friendship!” I exclaim. “What’s a princess of friendship without her friends?” I ask angrily. “Nothing, now I’m just a joke. `Princess Twilight Sparkle, master of friendship… without friends!” I mock. “My talent is magic, and I was good at Friendship. The magic of friendship was my specialty! I’m the element of magic for crying out loud! Cadence has love, Celestia the sun, Luna the moon. They all have things that they have and will always have! My friendship, the thing I had, is dead. The lack of working elements is proof of that!” Twilight fumes.

“I don’t have magic, what else do I have? Knowledge? I don’t even know how the ponies closest to me died!” Twilight looks out across the terrified crowd and something seems to go off in her head. “That’s it, I just have to redeem myself. If I get back my knowledge, I can gain my right to the magic of friendship! I’ll show you! I’ll show you all! I can and will bring my friendship back! Princess Twilight Sparkle will cease being a mockery!” Twilight shouts, she then gallops away from the podium and to the door in a frenzy.

“I need to go talk to Twilight,” Spike runs after her, Celestia looks after both of them with a pained look.

“He will get over this preposterous idea soon enough, just give her time,” Luna says, trying to console her sister.

“For her sake, I hope you’re right,” Celestia says in exasperation. Twilight pulls her ear away from the door and removes her hoof from Spikes mouth.

“Blegh! When was the last time you washed those?” Spike exclaims in disgust.

“I knew it, they don’t believe in me. Soon enough I will prove my worth, the I won’t be the laughing stock. I’ll be Twilight Sparkle,savior of friendship,” Twilight ignores Spike and turns towards the library. “I just need a pell that can help them,” Twilight mutters to herself, Spike looks after her in concern. He’s worried for a lot of things, mostly her safety and sanity.

“Twilight, maybe you should-” Spike begins, but Twilight cuts him off.

“I’m sorry Spike, but this is something I have to do. Alone. You can go back to Celestia, I have research to do, “Twilight tells him. Spike just stands there in shock as she walks away.

“But… I’m your #1 assistant…” Spike calls out sadly.

“Yes, but this is a test that I have to solve on my own. Now if you’ll excuse me” Twilight teleports to the library, leaving Spike alone in the empty corridor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Present ~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight sighs, Spikes been good to her. She’s glad that he understands and has stopped trying to dissuade her. Twilight returns to studying, but she’s surprised by the sudden magical presence. There was a small second where the presence just appeared, as if it had always been there. It felt like teleportation, but minus the surge of magic teleportation exerts. It was magically subtle, as if they found a way to muffle the magic.

“That’s impossible, the only way to muffle magic also restricts it,” Twilight says to herself. “I guess it was nothing,” Twilight mumbles to herself as she continues to read.

“Well, if it isn’t Princess Twilight,” Twilights blood goes cold as she hears the voice. Twilight whirls around to find a mysterious grey unicorn behind her. “Quite a lot of research you’re doing,” the pony comments.

“Who are you?! No, wait, how did you get in here?” Twilight demands, preparing her horn for an attack. The unicorn isn’t even fazed by her sign of aggression and continues to give Twilight a sly smile.

“Names Starlet Mint,” The pony replies. “It’s a pleasure to meet the latest in the royal line,” she adds.

“What is your social standing?” Twilight demands.

“Social standing? Nothing, I’m no one to the community.” Starlet says with a grin.

“How did you get in here?!” Twilight presses.

“I can’t really say, sorry.” The pony replies, the mare offers an apologetic smile to Twilight.

“Why?! It doesn’t make any sense! Discord himself couldn’t come in here without breaking my locking spell completely! I put a powerful locking spell on this whole room, there’s no way in or out without the unlocking spell!” Twilight exclaims.

“I have my ways,” The mare says cryptically.

“Ways of bypassing all logic and the workings of reality? Please, do tell,” Twilight says sarcastically.

“One, don’t be a part of any reality,” the pony replies.

`Great, a crazy pony that thinks she’s not a part of reality…` Twilight thinks aggravatedly.

“Oh, I don’t have to think it. Besides, I’m not here to get you to believe me about that,” The mysterious unicorn waves off the topic.

“And you’re here to…?” Twilight asks, her tone betraying her aggravation.

“Depends, I do a lot of things. You’re quite the complexity Sparkle,” The pony tells her, Starlet walks over to Twilight and looks at her books. “A pretty good selection of books you have here, but what you’re looking to do isn’t in them,” the pony tells Twilight.

“Oh? And how would you know?” Twilight challenges.

“because for one, it isn’t possible. Secondly, the only thing close is dark magic,” Starlet tells her.

“I’m looking to make a spell, like when I made the spell-” Starlet cuts Twilight off.

“I recall, but I didn’t say it doesn’t exist, I said it’s not possible. And before, you were in the right mind. I’ve seen this kind of frantic research before, it didn’t end well Twilight.” Starlet warns.

“How so? This work will benefit the world!” Twilight exclaims.

“How so?” Starlet scoffs and continues, “why don’t you ask Discord?” Twilight pauses at that.

“D-Discord? No, that couldn’t be… Discords a god of chaos, I’m just Twilight,” Twilight asures Starlet.

“Twilight, almighty alicorn princess of magic,” Starlet points out, “ Luna was right you know. If you don’t keep control of yourself, you might do something you regret,” Starlet says as she idly flips through a book.

“What does Luna know, she said my research is silly!” Twilight seethes.

“Isn’t it though? Think, what have you accomplished?” Starlet inquires.

“ I have the outline of my spell, I just need to change the workings of some already known spells,” Twilight says haughtily.

“You’ve accomplished re-building a dangerous black magic spell that Celestia herself had to hide,” Starlet tells Twilight.

“What? no, my spell is safe,” Twilight denies.

“Is it? Your plan includes reanimating a ponies body and giving it a will. If that corpse can think and act, how do you think it will feel?” Starlet asks.

“Happy to be alive! and if not, I can alter it’s mood somehow,” Twilight says decisively.

“It’ll feel jealous and angry, you will have taken it from it’s peace. Not to mention that you can’t synthesize a soul, there will be none of the gentle and harmonic magic of Equestria. There will be forceful and powerful magic to empower it’s artificial `life`. You can’t just find the old ponies soul, because nopony knows where it is. Twilight, you’re going to be creating monsters.” Starlet tells Twilight.

“No, I’m creating life. It’s a miracle,” Twilight urges.

“Twilight, you’re forcing `life`. It’s not even life, it’s a half-life. It’s less than a life. They have nothing, Twilight,” Starlet looks at Twilight sadly and Twilight thinks on what has been said.

“No. I’ll find a way around that,” Twilight decides.

“Twilight! There is no way around it! There are some things you just can’t create, a lot of things. Matter, magic, and life are just a few of the most prominent Twilight,” Starlet points out.

“I’ll find a way to get real life then,” Twilight tells her.

“How? By stealing it? I’m sorry Twilight, but you just can’t bring them back. Even if you were to find some impossible way to make life, it wouldn’t be their life,” Starlet looks to Twilight sadly.

“There has to be a way, there’s always a way,” Twilight insists.

“You’re asking the wrong question… you should just forget this and just move on. Go out and make new friends Twilight, you need some desperately. I’m not telling you to forget the others, just don’t dwell on the fact that they aren’t here.” Starlet says.

“No, there must be a way to bring them back! There has to be a way!” Twilight pleads.

“I’m sorry, but there isn’t.” Starlet says sincerely.

“So that’s it, I’m just out of friends?” Twilight asks.

“Twilight, just because they’re gone doesn’t mean they’re not your friends. Just because they’re gone doesn’t make them any less with you, and you still have plenty of friends. Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Shining Armor, Spike,Trixie, all of them. They’re all still your friends.” Starlet assures her.

“I still don’t know how they died,” Twilight says with a sniffle. I think I may be able to help with that…” Starlet says in thought, “Come on, I know how,” Starlet says to Twilight. Twilight looks at her curiously and attempts to wipe the tears forming in her eyes.

“Where are we going?” Twilight asks sadly.

“You’ll see, come on,” Starlet insists. Twilight follows along sadly and half-heartedly takes down her lock spell. She thinks over her spell she was developing, there must be something she could do to fix it. Twilight abandons the thought as she realizes that this mare is right, why couldn’t she see it before? Twilight was so invested in her research and obsessed with finding a way, she grew jaded. She can’t believe it took her a year to realize it, and only with the help of this pony.

That brings up the next question, who is this pony? Not her name, that’s Starlet Mint. But who is she in general? What does she do? Where does she live? Why is she here? How did she get here? It makes no sense, nopony should be able to get through that lock spell. The only way that cold happen is i she broke through and destroyed the lock spell, but it was intact. Not even discord himself could do that, and he’s the master at not making sense. It all leaves one question lodged into Twilight’s mind, who is this pony?

Twilight turns a corner with Starlet and she see’s Celestia talking to a guard down the hall. She turns away from the guard and literally jumps five feet in the air, she lands back down with a thud. Starlet and Twilight walk up to her.

“Hello Celestia,” Starlet greets.

“Starlet?! Twilight?!” Celestia looks at the two in shock before a look of terror comes over her face. “Twilight! Don’t do it, I’m sorry! We don’t mean to make you feel this way!” Celestia pleads, Twilight looks at her in confusion.

“What?” twilight just looks at the pleading princess with a lost look.

“Celestia, she’s fine. I’m just trying to help her with something,” Starlet soothes,. Celestia looks up at her earnestly.

“Oh, really? Well then, sorry,” Celestia apologizes to Twilight.

“Wait, you know her?” Twilight asks in surprise.

“Yes, she’s been a great help to me,” Celestia smiles, “Though, it would be nice if she visited more often,” Celestia says with a chuckle.

“Sorry, I’ve been busy,” Starlet defends.

“That’s only an excuse if you follow time,” Celestia points out.

“Fair enough, I’ll try to visit more than just when something terrible is happening,” Starlet laughs.

“It’s so nice to see you again Starlet, and thank you so much for helping,” Celestia embrace her in a hug and Twilight looks at them in shock. She has never seen Celestia hug any pony like that, save her sister. It shocks Twilight to the core, if this pony is that close to Celestia then she must be special.

`Then how come I’ve never heard of her?` Twilight thinks irritably.

“I don’t suppose you would have, most ponies don’t know me.” Starlet says to Twilight, Twilight looks back in shock.

“How did you…?” Twilight trails off because she’s not sure how to phrase it.

“I have my ways,” Starlet answers simply, Celestia chuckles as she releases Starlet. “Well, I have to go do this thing for Twilight,” Starlet tells Celestia.

“Ok, but be sure to stop by afterwards. You can come too, Twilight. We can all talk,” Celestia offers with a wide grin.

“I’d like that,” Starlet replies. “What say ye, Sparkle?” Starlet turns to Twilight with a wide grin.

“I… uh, sure?” Twilight answers, more questioning herself than anything. Celestia moves over and pulls Twilight closer to her.

“I’m glad to have you back Twilight,” Celestia says as she wraps her hooves around Twilight in an embrace the same as she gave Starlet.

“Yeah…” Twilight says half-heartedly. Starlet and Twilight move down the hall and away from Celestia. Twilights questions keep building, but she knows two things. Celestia trusts Starlet, so she must be trustworthy. And she wasn’t lying about not being a part of this reality, if Celestia’s time comment has ny credence. Which, it more than likely does. But if that’s true, why is she here? The more Twilight finds out, the less she seems to know.

Twilight recognizes Luna’s quarters once they walk up to it. Twilight just watches as Starlet knocks on the door, she waits for the shouting. Luna loves her sleep and she hates it when she’s disturbed. As if on cue, Luna can be heard stomping to the door, she starts yelling once she nears.

‘Who dares to disturb our sleep?!” Luna yells furiously as the door flings open, she looks at Starlet and seems to do a doubletake. “Starlet?” She asks incredulously. Twilight just looks at Luna in shock, no one has ever been spared luna’s fury after waking her. Not even Celestia, Twilight remembers when Shining Armor accidentally woke her up. Luna literally chased him across Canterlot, he was sore for days after he got caught.

“Hello Luna,” Starlet says gleefully.

“Do not think that just because you are a dear friend you’re excused from waking us up,” Luna says hotly.

“Of course not,” Starlet smiles. “But before I take my punishment I need to ask you a favor,” Starlet continues.

“No punishment, you’re just not excused. But what is this favor?” Luna asks curiously, wiping the sleep out of her eyes.

“I need you to show Twilight a certain part of the past, her friends death to be exact,” Starlet informs her, Luna looks at her in shock.

“But, we’d need somepony who knows what happened and was there,” Luna says.

“I know,” Starlet says with sorrow, Luna looks at her in surprise. Luna shakes off the feeling and just nods in understanding.

“Certainly, please come in,” Luna steps aside and lets the two ponies in.

“You were there?” Twilight asks in shock.

“Yes, I had to be…” Starlet replies sadly.

“Why did you never say anything?” Twilight asks angrily.

“It wasn’t my place to say.” Starlet says simply.

“What do you mean? You’re probably the only one who knows! I went through a lot of trouble trying to figure out!” Twilight yells.

“That’s not my battle! it’s yours. I can’t do service for everypony everywhere I go, only the ponies who need it and when they need it. You needed help now, not earlier. So here I am, helping,” Starlet explains.

“I needed help before this!” Twilight points out.

“Yes, but I had to wait… I had to see if you could fix this on your own. You’re very resourceful and can usually handle things, but you can’t handle everything all the time.” Starlet replies. Twilight thinks on it and finds that she’s right. Twilights faced many challenges, but she can usually handle them with her friends. Now that her friends are gone, she hasn’t been able to fix her problems.

“I could only face those problems with my friends, now I don’t have friends.” Twilight sulks.

“You do have friends, and you can solve problems on your own as well. You just needed a little encouragement, a little push. You weren’t healing, but now you are. That’s no one but you, Twilight,” Starlet tells her. Twilight think on it and she submits to the grey unicorns logic. She seems to be right a lot, much to Twilight’s chagrin.

“Twilight, Starlet, lay on the bed,” Luna instructs.

“T-Together?” Twilight lets a small blush sink into her features as she backs up a bit in embarrassment.

“Oh Twilight, don’t be such a prude! I only asked you to lay on the bed, you can see that the bed is very large,” Luna rolls her eyes and waits for the two to lie down. Once both the ponies are lying down on opposite ends of the bed Luna casts a spell that makes the two instantly fall asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ A moment later ~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight opens her eyes to find herself on a hillside watching a beautiful sunset, she looks to her sides to find her friends and her enjoying a picnic. Twilight doesn’t remember how she got here, but the sight of her friends makes her happy.

“Oh, Twilight! Isn’t Celestia’s sunset beautiful?” Rarity remarks.

“It blazes like a Fiery inferno…” The last two words distort and turn grim as Fluttershy disappears.

“The happiness is Poisonous…” Pinkie Pie shifts out of sight as well.

“It could almost drive one Crazy…” Rarity disappears, cackling madly.

“Yet the moment is Fleeting…” Rainbows voice fades as she vanishes in turn.

“Ahh, Twi’ don’t look so scared. The sunset is a beautiful thing, it’s what you’re named for after all. Don’t let your Sparkle go out, Don’t let your hopes fall…” Applejack vanishes with a creepy smile. The image sticks in Twilights thoughts and she finds herself crying.

“I don’t know! Why can’t I know?! Why don’t I know…” Twilight cries out as she looks to where her friends once were. The scenery starts to fade away and decay, breaking into fragments of light. Twilight turns and tries to run away from the approaching bright wall of light, she can feel pure fear from it. She fails as the ground breaks apart beneath her hooves, she’s plunged into a freefall. She hears voices echoing through the air, no in the air. The voices surround her and they’re all saying terrible things.

Heads appear and take the form of her friends, disembodied heads. Twilight can no longer feel herself freefalling, but she is suspended in the air, with no escape from the sick words. All of their voices turn angry and then into incoherent noise as Twilights ears fall flat against her head in an attempt to block out the noise. It doesn’t work as the voices slip past her defenses and straight into her thoughts. The heads morph into battered versions of the ponies they once looked like. One final head takes shape and it fills with a sick lavender color. The disembodied head looks just like Twilight, and it smiles a demented sort of smirk. It looks straight into the broken unicorn as she breaks down crying, satisfying for the disembodied Twilight. The full bodied Twilight weeps as the other five heads circle around her and the disembodied Twilight.

“Don’t you miss them?” The voice sounds like her, but it comes from the disembodied Twilight, it asks the question snarkily. Suddenly, a figure appears between the two. A grey unicorn with a dark brown mane and tail, her mane and tail have red tips on them. Twilight recognizes her, it’s Starlet Mint. Twilight looks at Starlet in wonder, she’s starting to realize that this is just a dream.

“Starlet?” Twilight asks timidly, but Starlet doesn’t answer. Twilight looks at Starlet’s face and jumps a little, she hadn’t expected to see a look like that. Starlet’s eye’s are sharp and she’s glaring at the disembodied Twilight fiercely, the disembodied Twilight looks back with a snarl. The heads creepy smile is gone, now it just looks angry.

“You!” the head exclaims.

“Be gone!” Starlet shouts, tendrils of darkness creep from hr feet and seem to creep across the bright expanse. The darkness is calming, it feels happy. The darkness slowly engulfs the light and the five battered heads circling them vanish, only the disembodied head of Twilight stays. The head looks around in fear and then anger as it watches the darkness engulfing it’s bright surroundings.

“Okay, Starlet. You win this round, I yield,” The head says a it’s smile returns. “I’ll see you around, Sparkle,” The head smiles wider and the edges of it’s mouth split to allow more of a smile. It’s teeth are sharp and it’s eyes are a glowing bloody red, it then vanishes in a bright white flash. The darkness has completely engulfed the area Starlet and Twilight are now standing in, Starlet’s face softens and turns to Twilight.

“W-What was that?” Twilight asks shakily.

“A terrible entity that embodied negative emotions, it was made powerful by your magic. It remains whole through your unresolved emotions, that’s why I’m here to bring you resolution,” Starlet explains.

“So… it was real?” Twilight asks in terror.

“Everything is real to some extent, Twilight.” Starlet chuckles softly, “But it did exist on a more than mental orm. I do believe it was mostly magical in form…” Starlet muses.

“The magical block is down, are you alright Twilight?” Luna asks hurriedly as she gallops up.

“Magical block?” Twilight questions.

“I believe I’ve explained to you about an alicorns powerful magical block before,” Luna says shortly.

“No, ‘m wondering how Starlet got in if there was a magical block,” Twilight says, turning to Starlet.

“Ok Twilight, imagine a magical block like a dome that you can’t get through. No matter what you do, you can’t get through at all. Nothing that exists can get in, that’s why I can. I don’t exist, technically speaking, so I don’t go through. I just stop being one place, slip into the void, and then start being a different place,” Starlet explains.

“And that’s how you surpassed my defenses” Twilight asks.

“And how I can dreamwalk, I’m not limited to a strictly physical plane. All because I don’t exist,” Starlet explains

“That’s extraordinary! I need to see if this has ever been researched or recorded…” Twilight notes to herself.

“It hasn’t, not accurately at least.” Starlet tells her.

“Would you help me research it?” Twilight asks excitedly.

“Maybe,” Starlet says with a laugh, “I don’t know if that would be good for the universe though,” Starlet tells her.

“Excuse me, but we have important business to attend to, that way I can go back to sleep. We have to leave Twilights dream before we can begin, then we must enter…” Luna trails off for a second. “Starlet, do you even dream?” Luna asks curiously.

“Generally when I dream, my mind returns to the void and wanders till I wake. But… I can ground my dream with another ponies with a little bit of magic,” Starlet replies.

“Can you ground your dream with mine?” Luna inquires, Starlet simply nods. “Wonderful, let us go to my dream,” Luna tells the two. The two alicorns and one unicorn walk out of Twilights dream and Twilight admires the view. All the dreams are beautiful as they sparkle in the colorful expanse. She knew that Luna was capable of dreamwalking, she just had never experienced it.

“Hey, this looks a lot like when Princess Celestia made me an alicorn. She showed me images of a lot of my adventures…” Twilight says in surprise.

“Yes, Celestia has access to here as well. And I’d imagine that with some practice, you would too. And, apparently Starlet as well. It is generally limited to alicorns though, though we can choose to show some ponies things, but only if we choose to show it. Not just anypony can wander in,” Luna explains.

“So, you’re saying that I could do this? On my own?” Twilight asks excitedly.

“Possibly, Cadence never got the hang of it. Though, she wasn’t all that inclined to do so,” Luna laughs good naturedly. She leads the two ponies with her to a nearby dream, then s plunges into it. The two ponies follow her and appear in a clearing.

“Oh, Luna. Do you ever switch things up?” Starlet asks. Luna blushes and looks back to her and laughs.

“Yes, just about every night. I just thought that it would be a nice memory, of the first time we met,” Luna replies a little hesitantly.

“Yes, but that meeting didn’t end as well as… either of us would have liked. But, it is nonetheless a nice gesture. Thank you,” Starlet looks around the clearing with a sad sort of smile. Twilight wishes to know what they’re talking about, but it doesn’t seem like either is willing to indulge her.

“Ok, well, ground your dream with mine. Then I’ll try and find the memory of that incident,” Luna tells Starlet. Starlet nods and Her horn begins to glow. The three can feel the dream start to shift and change ever so slightly, the clearing gets darker. It’s cast into shadows, a stark contrast to the once sunny sky. A moon floats into the sky and casts a faint light over everything, which now reveals the fog rolling over the clearing.

“Sorry, let me just…” The fog starts to roll away after Starlet apologizes. Twilight looks around at the surroundings, everything looks so different when brought into a new light. Stars twinkle brightly above, Firefly’s float through the air, a sheen of dew over the grass at their hooves makes the ground reflect the glowing brilliance of the moon. Everything looks more, beautiful.

“Wow,” its all Twilight can say, she’s stunned at the beauty of it all. “It’s… beautiful. Very different from the clearing before. Not to say it wasn’t beautiful before, it was just a different kind of beauty.” Twilight continues, her eyes wandering across the clearing.

“Don’t tell your sister, but I always have loved the night a bit more,” Starlet chuckles, and Luna looks at both of them happily.

“It is nice, isn’t it,” Tears start to well in her eyes, but she quickly brushes them away.

“Princess, are you okay?” Twilight tears her gaze from the clearing and rushes over to her.

“It’s nothing, it’s just been… a while since I’ve been told how beautiful my night was by somepony other than Celestia,” Luna’s eyes continue to water, but she manages to keep the tears from getting too bad.

“If you don’t mind my asking, if you love the night so much, why was it day in your dream before?” Twilight asks.

“It is true that I hold a special place in my heart for the night, I do still appreciate the day. It’s beautiful in it’s own way, as you said before. Besides, I’m usually only up for my night, It’s nice to see the day often. Though, I do occasionally have a night scene in my dreams. I don’t like monotony, it’s not very fun. Luna says, her thoughts clearly somewhere else. She shakes herself out of her stupor and turns away to start on their endeavor. “I’m going to search through your past now… I’m not sure how far back I’m going to have to go, so this may take a while. I‘ll Start at the earliest, and work my way up. Does that sound alright?” Luna asks.

“Yes, whatever you need to do,” Starlet assures her. A screen pops up and Twilight looks on in wonder. A single picture comes up and Luna stops.

“That’s strange…” Luna says as she looks at the picture intently.

“What is it?” Twilight asks.

“Your memories Starlet… They have a very definitive start point. Most ponies have fuzzy, or spotty memories early on, memories that fade off in quality… Not, this… This is reminiscent of a pony with amnesia, but instead of them not remembering and the memories being very fuzzy and unnoticeable… The memories just, aren’t there.” Luna says in shock. Starlet is starting to look slightly uncomfortable, and Luna notices. “I’m sorry, it’s just strange...” Luna nonetheless watches the beginning intensely.

It starts with Starlet looking at Twilight. Twilight gasps in shock as she sees herself in the very beginning, Then Starlet begins to look around her. She’s in Canterlot and she’s clearly scared, and very confused. Starlet continues to look around in confusion until her eyes finally set on Twilight once more.

“Starlet? Are you okay?” the twilight on the screen asks, it sounds exactly like Twilight does. The screen is jarred and they see the screen turn quickly and the three can tell that Starlet is running. “Wait! What is it?” Twilight can be heard yelling and running after her. Starlet runs right to the castle gardens, where Twilight recognizes her five friends. Twilight gasps at this and then she notices something else, strange bipedal creatures are pacing up some sort of advanced technology and are about to go through a strange opening in the middle of the garden.

“What are those?” Twilight turns to Starlet, but she gives no answer. Twilight just turns back to the screen and watches eagerly. Twilight notices Celestia flying down with Luna in tow, The screen is backing away from them.

“What’s wrong?” the Celestia on the screen asks.

“Look!” Rainbow dash exclaims pointing with her hoof to Starlet. The view shifts and a blank flank comes into view.

“That can’t be, she had her mark just a second ago!” the Twilight on the screen exclaims. The screen looks back up at the ponies and there’s one more pony there, It’s Starlet.

“No, it can’t be…” The Starlet visible says. The screen backs up more and a sound is heard from behind. The strange machine seems to be doing something, and the screen seems to be getting closer to it. The screen passes two guards and into the opening, but immediately stops.

“No! you can’t be in there! go back!” One of the strange bipedal creatures shouts. The screen looks back and sees the pony guards urging the Starlet not visible back, but they don’t dare go near the contraption. The machine sounds like it’s going to go off, and then the flash of teleportation goes off. Then an empty expanse is visible. Just nothingness. Then Twilight looks closer, in the distance dim lights can be seen. In the very far distance.

“What happened?” Twilight asks in confusion.

“It would seem that she teleported… into the void? Is that correct?” Luna looks over to Starlet for an answer.

“As far as I know, yes.” Starlet replies. “Please, could we not watch everything in real-time? Can we skim the contents and I can tell you when we get close?” Starlet pleads.

“Yes, I’m sorry we intruded on your privacy,” Luna apologizes and speeds up the process. Twilight’s mind is spinning, this leaves so many questions. When Does that happen? It probably doesn’t happen to her, Starlet isn’t a part of time. She might not even be restricted to this world if she doesn’t exist, there are so many possibilities. Plus her friends are there, that couldn’t be this world. Could it? Who was that other Starlet? Maybe she went to a time when she was there at a different time? That doesn’t make sense, why would she have to go to the same time twice? It might not even be possible for all twilight knows about this sort of stuff.

`With all I currently know about her, I have no hope of finding the answer to any of these questions.` Twilight thinks to herself. She lets the thoughts rest and continues to watch. Brief clips of memory, roughly five seconds a piece pop up. Twilight sees two little alicorn fillies and an earth pony mare. Then she sees a familiar pony, one she’s sure she’s seen around ponyville a couple of times. Twilight notices him in a multitude of other scenes, she catalogues his information for later. In one scene Twilight saw Luna’s hoof coming at the screen and Luna visibly flinches at this, maybe it was a different timeline? `Those are things, right?` Twilight thinks to herself.

Many more clips come up, until finally Starlet tells her to slow it, and then to slow it more, and more… until, “stop!” Luna pauses the picture and Starlet looks it over.

“This is it, this is the memory,” Starlet says decidedly. The screen shows her friends in the everfree, chasing after Timberwolves. The image starts to move and immediately a flow of sound permeates the air. Air rushing through the trees, Timberwolves growling, and the sound of yelling ponies chasing after the threat to Ponyville. The Timberwolves eventually fade out of view and the five ponies on the screen stop chasing them.

“Good riddance” Applejack spits to the side.

“Hey, we have to hurry back! Twilight should be getting back soon if she isn’t already!” Rainbow Dash yells as she turns back. The rest of them turn back once more, but are brought to a halt at the sight behind them. A hydra stands before them, it strikes fast and hard. It snatches the closest pony, which just happens to be Rarity. Everypony freezes, unable to comprehend what just happened.

“Rarity!” everypony finally screams after they register, but the hydra isn’t done yet. It lunges forward to snatch another pony and Rainbow pushes Applejack out of the way, only to be snatched up herself. Applejack lays stock still in abject horror as another head snatches her up too. Next Is fluttershy, and then Pinkie. It happens so fast that Twilight can hardly register it, she lets out her breath she hadn’t realized she was holding in. The image pauses at the hydra and Luna moves to comfort Twilight, then a thought comes to Twilight.

“That can’t be it…” Twilight mutters to herself as she works through all the things in her head.

“I know it’s hard to take, but that has to be it. Starlet wouldn’t lie to us,” Luna says as comfortingly as she can.

“Stomach acid would destroy the bodies, we buried them. We have their bodies,” Twilight points out as she turns back to the screen. Luna looks to Starlet curiously at this.

“That’s right…” Luna trails off and the two look to Starlet, Starlet just continues staring at the screen.

“Play the rest of it,” Starlet says in a low voice. Luna turns back to the screen and starts to play more of the memory. A few seconds go by before a rustling is heard at the edge of the clearing, a dark figure can be seen walking out of some nearby foliage. The figure spread it’s wings menacingly and starts to shoot magic at the hydra aggressively. The hydra isn’t prepared for this surprise attack and falls to the ground as blast after blast is shot towards it. The hydra shudders under each impact, until it finally stops. It stops moving, it stops breathing, it stops living. The figure ceases fire and moves over to the hydra.

Twilights breath catches as she sees more clearly the figure that had bothered to try saving her friends, it’s Chrysalis. Queen Chrysalis was the one that avenged her friends. Chrysalis tears open the monsters throats and pulls out the five mangled bodies. She sets the bodies a ways away from the hydra and then flings it away angrily. As far away from the bodies as she can, then she turns back to the bodies. From this angle Twilight can better see Chrysalis’ face as she hovers over the bodies, she has a look of sadness and despair. Chrysalis stays for a moment, but then she moves back to hide once more in the foliage.

She can still be seen watching over the five ponies from the shadows, she waits. Occasionally a Timberwolf or two would come close to the bodies, hoping for an easy meal, but Chrysalis would blast it to bits the second it came within twenty feet of the bodies. This goes on for several minutes, until a pony can be seen running through a bush at the opposite edge of the clearing as Chrysalis and sees the bodies. The pony jumps in shock, and then rushes to the ponies aid. Chrysalis can barely be seen backing away from her hiding spot, and then disappearing from the scene.

Luna pauses the scene, Twilight and her both stare at the screen with their mouths gaping. They sit there like that for an indiscernible amount of time, until Twilight breaks the silence.

“She… Preserved their bodies…” Twilight says, mostly to herself. “She protected them so there would be something to bury…” Twilight has to explain what Chrysalis did just so she can believe it. But it doesn’t help her understand one thing, “Why?” Twilight turns to Starlet.

“I honestly have no clue, it’s not my place to pry.” Starlet says, finally turning away from the screen with a sad smile.

“It doesn’t make any sense,” Luna mutters, Twilight simply nods in agreement. The three sit in silence for a long time to gather their thoughts before Twilight finally breaks the awkward silence.

“Let’s go, there’s no reason to stick around here,” Twilight says decisively. Luna nods and wakes Twilight up with her magic, Starlet leaves as well. Luna stays for a second more and admires the image on the screen, then she casts away the image and wakes up herself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ A moment later ~~~~~~~~~~~

"What? This isn't possible!" Luna awakens to Twilight screaming about something. Luna lifts her head to see what the fuss is all about, she gasps in shock at the new development. The element of magic is glowing from atop her head, it's working.

"What is happening?" Luna Leaps to her hooves as the element starts to glow brighter, the rest of the elements are floating in a calm circle around her.The other elements brighten and shoot away, Luna looks over and Starlet has a look nervousness. Luna looks at the elements and she can’t help but feel helpless, what can she do? Eventually Twilight gasps and a small smile falls onto her face… just before she disappears in a blinding flash.

“Well, at least now it all makes a little bit more sense… How strange that the event happened after…” Starlet looks deep in thought at this, but Luna is frantic.

“What just happened?” Luna asks in shock.

“Well, I’m not entirely sure… But the elements took her somewhere.” Starlet says, a hoof on her chin in thought.

“Somewhere?! You don’t know where? Did you know this would happen?” Luna asks angrily.

“Well, I had an idea,” Starlet admits.

“Unbelievable!” Luna yells.

“Calm down Luna, this is the elements were talking about. It can’t be bad, could it?” Starlet reasons.

“I guess.” Luna begrudgingly accepts.

“See, it’ll all work itself out. Let’s go have a talk with Celestia, then I can see about fixing this,” Starlet offers, Luna just glares at Starlet.

“Fine…” Luna grumbles and follows Starlet down the hall to Celestia’s room. They arrive at Celestia’s room and Starlet knocks on the door.

“Come in,” Celestia tells the two. They walk in and Celestia brightens up. “Oh, Starlet! You're here, wonderful. I see you’ve brought Luna, but where is Twilight?” Celestia questions. “She’s alright isn’t she?” Celestia asks earnestly.

“I’m sure she is, but she’s not here,” Starlet answers.

“Not here? In the castle? Where did she go?” Celestia asks in confusion.

“Well, I’m not positive… but I think she went nowhere.” Starlet answers nervously.

“Nowhere? So… she didn’t leave?” Celestia is getting increasingly confused.

“Of course she went somewhere! We saw her disappear!” Luna yells.

“No, not nowhere in the usual sense. Nowhere as in The Void,” Starlet clarifies.

“Why must you be so… coy.” Luna mutters.

“Because that’s who I am,” Starlet smiles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ A moment earlier ~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight opens her eyes and she sees nothing, until she looks closer. At first glance it could seem like nothing, but off in the distance there are tiny dim lights. Lights so sensitive that looking at them seems to dim them, but Twilight knows better. Twilight’s learned from stargazing that looking at far and dim lights makes them seemingly disappear, the lights are like distant stars. Twilight looks at them curiously and around her, she seems to be standing in an empty expanse. It doesn’t go unnoticed as grass seemingly appears out of nowhere beneath her feet, she looks at it in surprise.

“Welcome to Void Space” A familiar voice speaks up. Twilight spins around just in time to see Starlet get tackled by a cyan blue pegasus. Twilight looks around herself and sees more ponies that she remembers. It’s like a dream, but happier than that cruel nightmare she’s been having.

“What is this?” Rarity asks. Twilight searches for an answer, but she finds none. Eventually she turns to Starlet for an answer, Starlet looks at the six nervously.

“I think I need to explain some things…” Starlet says.

Author's Note:

The Penultimate chapter! Please, comment. tell me what I did wrong, or right if I managed to do something good! I can take criticism, I need it to help me grow!