• Published 12th Mar 2017
  • 608 Views, 11 Comments

Macinplums 2: Mac Again - Iggypots



The further adventures in romance between Sugarplum and Big Mac.

  • ...
6
 11
 608

Instructions Not Included

Sugarplum took the last bite of her fried fish, and sighed contently. She placed her plate on the picnic blanket, and leaned on Big Mac. He silently offered her a mug of cider. When she took it, she noticed an amused look in his eyes.

“What?” she asked before taking a drink.

“Nuthin,” he answered. “Just kinda funny watching you eat fried pet food.” He put an arm around her and held her close.

“For my kind its perfectly normal food.” She poked him in the belly, making him grunt. “And I really don't want to have another fainting spell from not eating right.”

“Reckon so.” He took a swig of his own cider and looked up at the sky. The clouds were arranged like a chessboard, breaking up the summer sunlight to keep it bearable. The sun was hitting an open patch, and he watched the light slide down their hill and along the trees.

“Mac, thanks for taking me out today.” She leaned her head on him.

“Welcome. Seemed like ya needed it.” He looked at her out the corner of his eye.

She smiled ruefully. “Did it show?”

“A bit.” He gave her a gentle squeeze. “Anything else I can do for it?”

Sugarplum shook her head. “Its just my parents, you know?” She sighed and pressed herself closer to him. “I don't know if I'll ever see them again. And...” She paused to anxiously rub her knee. “And they must be terrified for me. I wish I could tell them I'm okay.” She looked up at his soft, concerned face. “Just that. 'I'm okay.' If they could somehow know that, I could bear the rest.” She sniffled and buried her face in his fuzzy chest.

“Here.” Mac lightly pushed her with his muzzle until she laid down on her side. He joined her, facing the same way, pulling her close with one arm. She rubbed his forelock and closed her eyes. His breath tickled her ear, her neck. She felt his muzzle gently touch her skin, then her hair as he brushed it behind her ear.

“Just let it out.” he whispered. After a moment, Sugarplum quietly wept. While the tears trailed down onto her sleeve, Mac kissed her on her neck, her cheek, her temple. When she had cried all she could, she wiped her eyes and turned her head up towards his.

“Twilight's been working on helping you,” he told her. “She'll find some way, I reckon. I believe that.”

She smiled. “Thanks, Mac.” She lifted her head and pressed her lips to his. Sugarplum intended a brief kiss, but Mac had slid his hoof around to support her. He held her and kissed her deeper, and she traced her fingertips along his neck. She felt his broad tongue flick hers before he pulled back.

Warmth flushed her face. She laid her head back down, and Mac continued to nuzzle and reassure her. She felt very aware of his touch and the warm pressure of his chest against her back.

“Mac? Can we go out again tomorrow? For supper?” She turned onto her back to look at him. He leaned his face close to her, and she saw a languid twinkle in his eyes.

“Reckon we could.” He gave her another kiss. “Where ya want to go? Hay Burgers?”

She quirked her mouth. “Mac, I can't eat-”

“Right. Forgot.”

She twirled a lock of his mane on her finger. “How about The Spud Hut?”

He gave an amused grin. “Really?”

“Hey. I like their potatoes.”

“Spud Hut it is, then.”

They laid there together for a time. Any time she felt her pain welling up, she'd make some small talk and he'd respond in his simple, friendly way. Eventually, little things began to mar the warm, pleasant feeling he gave her. Her back was sweating against his belly, her side ached from laying on it so long, and looking at the sky showed that their date would soon end.

She sighed. “Guess we should start packing up, huh?”

“Reckon so,” he said in an equally regretful tone.

She got up and stretched, then helped him pack up the picnic basket. When she bent to pick it up, Mac stopped her with a hoof.

“Why don't ya take the rest of the day off, Sugarplum? Get a proper rest.” He paused thoughtfully. “Unless it helps ya to stay busy.”

“Actually, my mind wanders a lot when I'm working.” She smiled in thanks to him. “I think I'll take that offer. There's something I want to do in town.”

“What's that?” he asked before setting the basket on his back.

“Oh, just girl stuff.” She tousled his mane. “Don't suppose you can come with me.”

“Nope. Got to get back and help Applejack. You know her, she'll work herself ragged if I let her.” His smile was apologetic.

You're so loyal to your family, Big Mac. “Yeah, she would. I'll see you tomorrow, then.”

She leaned to kiss him one more time. His lips lingered on hers, and she wondered if he would use his tongue again. But he finally pulled back and sighed.

“Well, got to go.” He picked up the basket with his teeth and set it on his back.

“Sure you don't want me to carry that?”

Mac shook his head. “It'll be easier to tell Sis you're gone for the day if you're not actually there.”

She played with his mane and they parted. Sugarplum paused to watch his strong form walk down the hill. The eletric tingle from their last kiss still lingered in her when she headed for town.

Once in Ponyville she sought out Twilight at the library, but found only Spike. He explained as he sorted books that Twilight was over in Canterlot on some obscure business. Sugarplum thanked him and quickly left before he could draw her into a conversation about his hobbies.

Back on the street (such as they were in Ponyville), she wandered and thought to herself. Drat, I need someone to talk to. Applejack is my best friend, but it'd be hard to talk to her, because its her brother. She grinned to herself. And Twilight would probably pull out a bunch of books or something. But I haven't made many friends outside the Apples.

She sighed and walked through the town, waving back to the friendly ponies who greeted her. Off to the side, she spotted Sugar Cube Corner. The warmth of the sun had made her clothes sticky with sweat, and the thought of a nice cold beverage was suddenly very appealing. She headed into the cool interior; it was rather slow since the schoolfoals hadn't gotten out yet. She bought a bottle of strawberry soda from Mrs. Cake, and sat down to drink and think.

She glanced over at Mrs. Cake, who was having friendly banter with her husband. You know, I really do need to make more friends. I bet she'd be great to talk to, like a wise older woman. Really helpful. But I spend most of my time with the Apples or Twilight. She frowned and tried to get comfortable on the pony-sized stool.

Suddenly a pink blur rushed up to her. “Uh oh, frowny-face alert! Wooo wooo wooo!” Pinkie Pie plopped down next to her. “What's wrong, Sugarplum?”

“Well,” she replied while getting over being startled, “I just need someone to talk to.”

“I know how to talk!”

Sugarplum couldn't help but smile. “Well, its about me and Big Mac...” She wondered if Pinkie was really the best pony to talk to about such things. But, I have always been meaning to be friends with her. I guess I could try.

“Oh no, is something wrong with the ship?”

Sugarplum thought about the little toy ship that was currently sitting on her dresser. “What? No, the ship is fine. But back to me and Mac. Thing is, its going pretty good between Mac and me.” She nervously scratched at the tabletop. “And uh, I'm thinking maybe its time to take things farther.”

Pinkie tilted her head. “Farther?”

“Yeah. Farther. You know.” She took a swig of soda. Hmmm, does she know? She does seem like an innocent-

“Oooooooooh, you want him to sail the beef boat into Tuna Harbor?”

Her head shot forward and she clamped her lips shut to keep soda from spraying all over the table. “HMMMMMMM!” A nearby patron looked over with amusement.

Pinkie giggled. “You should really just let the spit-take happen.”

Sugarplum swallowed, coughed and tried to collect herself. Pinkie gently patted her back. She took another sip, wiped her mouth on a napkin, and nodded to Pinkie.

“Ahem. Yes, that's basically what I mean.” She cleared her throat and dank again.

“Well, that should make you smiley, not frowny, right? You both like each other lots!”

“Well, sure,” she admitted. “I'm just a little nervous, though.” She fidgeted with her soda bottle. “I mean, I've never...”

Pinkie gasped. “Its your first time?”

She blinked. “What? No, I meant its my first time with a stallion.”

Pinkie gasped again. “You used to date mares?”

She slammed down her bottle in exasperation. “I've never slept with anyone outside of my species, Pinkie!” She suddenly raised a hand to her mouth and looked around. The few other patrons were pointedly not looking in her direction. A purple-ish mare nursing a mug of punch was biting her forelock, trying not to laugh.

“Everything okay, Pinkie?” Mrs. Cake asked from behind the counter.

“Well Sugarplum hasn't mmpphhphhpmmphh!” Her mouth had been muffled by Sugarplum's firm hand.

“We're fine, Mrs. Cake. Just girl talk. You know.” She looked Pinkie in the eye and slowly removed her hand.

“So why are you nervous?” Pinkie asked as soon as she could.

“Well, I just said. He's a pony, I'm a human. What if its awkward or difficult or just not good because we're different?” She raised her bottle to her lips. “What if he doesn't like it?”

“Awww, don't worry! He'll like being with you because its you.” She leaned closer. “I'm sure he's thought about it. I've seen how he looks at you during your dates.”

“You have?”

“Uh huh! Sometimes I follow and watch.”

Sugarplum paused long enough to blink twice. “Okay. Anyway, I just don't want either of us to be disappointed.”

“But you do want to, though?”

Warmth filled her cheeks. She nodded.

“Well, if he wants to, then see how it goes. At least then you'll know.”

She exhaled noisily and nodded. “I guess I got to confront it eventually. Maybe on our next date.” She poked Pinkie in the side. “Don't follow us.”


The next evening, Sugarplum and Big Mac stepped out of The Spud Hut and into the warm twilight. It had been a good meal with good company, and she sighed contently. As usual, she had done most of the talking, telling him of her plans to ask Twilight and Pinkie to help her make some more friends. Mac had encouraged her in his gentle, easy way, commenting that his own life would be pretty dull without his friends to break up his family and work routine.

“Mmm, those green chilies and cheese twice-baked potatoes were great.” she commented.

“Must've been, the way you ate 'em up.” He glanced at her as he walked her home. “Ya sure you didn't want to go some place fancy?”

She shook her head. “You know, I've been to fancy restaurants, and they just don't do it for me. I mean, they look nice, but...”

Mac said nothing, but simply grinned at her. His eyes lingered on her. She felt her head turn towards him, as though invisible hands were moving it, until she was returning his gaze. Again she felt that tingle, which had hit her every time their eyes met over dinner. She looked away, smiling, feeling jittery.

Soon they were at her house. Sugarplum stood awkwardly at her door. She tried to say something, but her tongue simply refused to work. Mac looked at her expectantly, then scratched his head. He turned to leave.

“Well, see ya to-”

“Mango juice!”

He paused and blinked. “Huh?”

“Mango juice. I have mango juice.” She opened her door and took a step inside. “Do you want to come in and have some?” Another awkward pause. "Its imported."

“Mango juice,” he said with a smile. He stepped close to her and reared up, bracing a hoof on the door. He leaned in and kissed her, then walked inside.

She put a hand on her chest, breathed deeply, then shut the door.

Mac settled himself on her couch, while she lit up a single lamp and poured them some drinks. She sat next to him and handed him a mug. He took a sip and in the dim light she saw his amused grin.

“Mango juice.” He put a limb around her and held her close. She smelled of the Spud Hut's baked potatoes, sweat, and the odd musk that he assumed was normal human scent. Sugarplum would look in his eyes, then away, then back at him again, as if it were difficult. He regarded her fondly and thoughtfully, then made a silent wish that he wasn't about to stab himself in the hoof.

“It doesn't have to be tonight, if you're still working up the nerve.”

She shook her head; her face was close enough for her braid to bat his shoulder. “I'm ready to climb the walls as it is.” She turned pink at that, and Mac felt some warmth himself. “I'm just not sure how this'll work out. I mean, biped, quadruped...”

“Well, how about we take it slow like, and if we need to stop to figure out what we're doing, we will.” He gave her a light kiss. “That sound fine?”

Sugarplum took his mug, set it down along with hers, then wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Eeyup.” She closed her eyes as Mac leaned in to kiss her again.


“So ya had some mango juice and ya fell asleep?” asked Apple Bloom.

“Eeyup!” Big Mac gave the tree a good buck, knocking almost all the apples into the waiting barrel.

Apple Bloom gathered up the few apples that missed the barrel to put them in. She noted his smile, which hadn't left his face since he showed up for the day's chores. “I guess you and Sugarplum had a nice date last night.”

“Eeyup!” He grabbed an empty barrel and placed it under the next tree.

Apple Bloom followed. “Did ya have breakfast yet?”

“Eeyup! Hash browns and pancakes.” His smile grew wider. “And more mango juice.”

Sugarplum sat cross-legged in front of the wall of the barn. Steadily, she nailed new boards into the wall, replacing a few that had taken rot. A can of paint waited nearby. She heard the firm step of Applejack's hooves as she walked up.

“Looking good there, Sugarplum!” The human smiled and gave her thanks. Applejack expression changed to sisterly concern. “Hey uh, ya feelin' alright today?”

Sugarplum looked back with friendly amusement. “Actually I feel pretty good, AJ.”

“Oh, good. You were walking kinda funny this morning...”

The hammer completely missed the nail and put a dent in the fresh wood.

“...And I was worried you had pulled... a... muscle... or... something...” She faltered as she observed Sugarplum's expression. The human stared at the wall with wide eyes, her face steadily turning deeper shades of red.

Applejack smiled awkwardly and scratched the back of her head. “Never mind!” She turned and walked off to let her friend recover.

Sugarplum's head fell forward until it clunked against the wall, knocking her hat off. She laughed in helpless embarrassment, then picked up her hat, put it on and went back to pounding nails.

Later, Sugarplum and Mac were sitting in the shade of a tree, relaxing after a good dinner (as the farm ponies called lunch) before they went back to their chores. They glanced at each other and smiled, as though sharing a secret. She leaned against him and closed her eyes. She was almost dozing when she heard Mac speak.

“Twilight's here.”

She opened her eyes and saw her friend walking up the road. When Twilight saw them sitting under the tree, she headed in their direction.

“Wonder what brings her by,” asked Sugarplum. As Twilight got closer, she could see she was carrying something by her magic, and her head was tilted up to show a satisfied smile.

“Good morning Sugarplum, Big Macintosh.” She drifted the item closer to her human friend. “This is for you.”

Sugarplum examined it after it fell into her hands. It was a simple white envelope, though filled so tightly with pages it was almost bursting. She turned it over to look at the writing on the front, and froze.

It was a name. Her human name: Carrie-Ann. Even more shocking was the handwriting. It looked like it had been written by an epileptic chicken after downing a bottle of NyQuil. Sugarplum was, in fact, one of the few people who could read it. She looked up at Twilight's beaming face, her mouth open.

“What is it, Sugarplum?” asked Mac. She turned to him.

“This is my mom's handwriting.”