• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 2,251 Views, 71 Comments

A Certain Railgun in Canterlot - maxxxxxx



Misaka mikoto ( Protagonist of the anime A certain scientific railgun) finds herself suddenly in Canterlot!

  • ...
5
 71
 2,251

Dinner with Fancy

“Will that do?” The glow from his horn dimming, Misaka grinned.

“That's perfect, thanks. It's the same weight and dimensions. If anything it's even smoother than my normal coin, should make it even more accurate because of the reduced drag.” She ran her hoof against her mane, feeling the coin tucked neatly under her hair pins... Mane pins? How do these ponies function without fingers? I mean sure this one can use some form of telekinesis but what about the ones without horns? Can they still do that?

“Still, I am rather surprised. I thought you would spend it. After all that's no copper bit.”

“Is it valuable? Sorry, I didn't realize. You can have it back if you want.” She returned her hoof to her mane, and failed miserably at trying to use fingers she no longer had. A wave of frustration as she frantically rubbed her hoof against the coin trying to dislodge it.

“Oh no, that's quite alright. After all, you said it was perfect and it's not as though it's a silver or gold bit. Please keep it if you like.”

“You sure?”

“Absolutely!” Misaka smiled back at him, bringing her hoof back to the ground.

“Thanks.”

“Oh think nothing of it. Now, we really should alert the royal guard. Who ever this miscreant is he should be dealt with promptly.” Misaka nodded as Fancy turned and began walking back towards the city.

“Halt, who goes there!” The commanding voice startled Misaka. She spun around to see two winged ponies in armor. Okay, so there are pegasus here to. Wait, two of them? Pegasi? How do they get armor on without hands? Gah! This place makes no sense!

“Ah, we were just coming to see you. As you can see someone has vandalized the garden and the statue of our princess.” Oh, so that was a statue of the princess. Misaka though as she looked back over to the ruined fountain.

“Did you see the perpetrator?” The two asked in unison, their faces completely inscrutable.

“I fear we arrived after the fact. We were just on our way to report it actually.” They eyes Misaka suspiciously, which didn't go unnoticed by Fancy Pants.

“By we I of course meant myself and my friend, this young filly. She has been in my company the entire day.” The guards glanced at each other, nodded then looked back at Fancy.

“Very well, please report anything suspicious you see to the royal guard.”

“Why of course.” He smiled diplomatically. The guards took their leave.

“So those were the royal guard?” Misaka asked, feeling slightly offended for being suspected.

“Yes, I'm terribly sorry they suspected you. They were simply doing their job you understand.” Misaka nodded. Does he think I'm the type of pon... Person! who would shock anyone who bothers... Never mind. She sighed. Then her stomach betrayed her, letting out a rather unladylike grumble. Her head snapped forward and she tried to stifle a blush from embarrassment. Fancy chuckled.

“I-I didn't have breakfast this morning, then I ended up here and I forgot all about it.” Misaka put a hoof over her stomach, trying to quell it.

“Shall we go?” Misaka looked up at him, raising an eyebrow.

“Where?”

“To eat of course. I know a delightful little restaurant nearby.”

“I don't really have any money.” She looked downcast, she didn't want to spend the steel bit Fancy had given her.

“Nonsense, of course I shall pay. I am a gentlecolt after all and I can not simply let a pony go hungry.”

“Are you sure? I don't want to keep taking your money.” Her stomach disagreed as it growled again.

“Think nothing of it. Now let us be off.” He again walked out of the park. Misaka stood still for a moment longer. I'll pay you back for all your help. She took one last look at the fountain. And I know just how I'm going to do that. With determined eyes she turned back and followed Fancy.
****************************************************************************************************

They stopped in front of a small building, unimpressive by the standards of the buildings around it. It had small, arched windows and was made mostly of wood as opposed to the stone masonry of most other building around. It seemed like an older building with a lot of character.

“Is this it?”

“Indeed it is. Shall we go?” Misaka nodded and they entered. The inside was more impressive than the outside, it was rustic but high class at the same time. The room had two dividers, on each side were stalled seating and in the center, between the dividers were open tables. Many delicious scents filled her nose and a band played in the background. A server walked up to them, she smiled amiably.

“Table for two please.” The server nodded.

“Right this way.” They followed her down the middle of the room, seating them at an open table. She pulled two menus out of a bag on her back, placing them on their table with her mouth. Is that even sanitary? Well I guess the ponies without horns just have to deal without fingers, that seems unfair

“Can I start you off with something to drink today?” Without even looking at his menu, he instantly responded.

“Yes, could I get a cider please.” She nodded and turned to Misaka who seemed lost in thought.

“And what would you like?” She was snapped out of her thought, How was she supposed to know what they had?

“Do you have tea?”

“Sure do, what kind do you want?”

“Jasmine? And you wouldn’t happen to have any steel cups would you?” Yeah right! Academy city and even Japan don't exist here. There is no way the would have jasmine...

“Coming right up.” She walked away back to the kitchen. Oh. Fancy Pants levitated his menu. Adjusting his monocle he scanned it quietly. Meanwhile, Misaka clumsily fumbled with her menu. Ineffectively bumping her hooves against the table before shrugging. 'Do I really have to do this?!' Without finger she didn't have much of a choice. She dropped her head to the table, trying to grip the menu with her teeth, only to get a mouth full of table cloth instead. She brought her eyes up to see fancy pants staring at her. She blushed furiously before spitting out the cloth. That familiar smell filled the air as her temper flared but before she could release any lighting along with a long overdue verbal tirade the menu stood itself up and opened. Misaka looked at Fancy's horn, which was now glowing even brighter as it levitated both their menus.

“Now I know you're hungry but the waitress will be back shortly to take our orders, there is no need to eat the table cloth.” He teased, laughing good naturedly. Misaka grumbled, but her anger passed. As if on cue the waitress came back, balancing a tray in one hoof. She tilted the tray and the drinks slid right off onto the table without spilling so much as a drop. Misaka was impressed.

“Have you decided on what you want?”

“Yes, I would like an apple turnover please.” She looked to Misaka, who was frantically looking through the menu. Gah! I hate when I get put on the spot like this! If I take my time I'll feel rude, but I don't want to get something I don't like. I can't think with all this pressure!

“I'll just have what he's getting.” She sighed in defeat as she waitress walked away.

“Marvelous, the apple turnover here is delightful.”

“Good to know.” Small sparks danced around her and her metal cup floated up to her mouth. At least some of the laws of physics still make sense here.

“I thought you couldn’t levitate things?”

“It only works on ferromagnetic and small diamagnetic things, I create coils of electrons around the cup, as the electrons flow they create a magnetic field that I can control. It's a really versatile ability where I'm from because everything is made of metal and electronics.” Misaka didn't expect Fancy to understand most of what she just said, but she tried to keep her explanation as simple as she could.

“Well it's very impressive to be sure. Can everyone where you are from do that?”

“Well not everyone, most people don't have any powers at all, out of all of them I'm the third strongest. My best friend can teleport, some can read minds, others can control fire while the most powerful can control fundamental forces of physics like controlling vectors or dark matter. Then there's him, that idiot with that weird right hand of his, always getting into trouble and saving people even if it gets him hurt. And why is it always a girl anyway!” She stopped suddenly realizing where her tangent had taken her. she blushed lightly.

“Ah, I assume he must be your coltfriend.” Misaka looked at him blankly for a moment. Coltfriend?What does that..

“He's not my boyfriend!” She shouted, turning heads in the whole restaurant. Two ponies in particular took interest enough to make their way over to them.

“Fancy Pants is that you? Fabulous to see you in a place like this.” Fancy Pants smiled and greeted the couple with his usual attitude.

“Ah Upper Crust, Jet Set, so nice to see you.” The stallion turned his attention to Misaka, adjusting his glasses as he scrutinized her.

“Who is this? She looks like a particularly suspicious commoner.”

“Why this is my Friend, her name is Misaka.” Jet Set was practically glaring at her now.
“Misaka? What an unusual name. You're her friend? This is more preposterous than the time at the Canterlot garden party with that small town dress maker and her crazy friends.”

“But if you recall her friend turned out to become a princess did she not?” Jet Set looked down nervously for a moment, then quickly changed the subject.

“You know, I heard about what happened at the public park, I wonder what suspicious pony could have done it.” He looked condescendingly at Misaka, that was a mistake. While Jet Set and Upper Crust didn't know what the now overbearing smell of ozone meant Fancy knew full well that lightening wasn't far behind.

“Oh? You mean you don't know her? You must be falling out of the Canterlot elite to now know.” Misaka's rage turned to confusion but she kept a good poker face.

“What do you mean?” The couple asked nearly at the same time.

“Why, this young mare is a princess from the distant land of Japan. She is here as a personal guest of Princess Celestia and I am showing her around Canterlot for today.” Misaka laughed manically in her head.

“She's a princess?” They still needed convincing and Misaka was more than happy to play along.

“That is right! And I am very offended! If I hear one more word of this I shall have to share the details of my experience in your city with your princess!” She fought she urge to burst out laughing with ever word.

“I-I don't believe you.” Jet Set sounded nervous, all they needed was a little push.

“I would not offend the princess if I were you. Her people have a unique magic.” He turned is head to Misaka and winked. On cue she arced lightening around the room, dissipating the voltage before it could do any real damage, It was little more than a very impressive light show. It worked. The pair bowed their heads to Misaka and apologized fervently.

“Very well, I Shall forgive you this time. Now be off so I can enjoy my meal.” The two agreed and quickly fled. As soon as they were out of ear shot Misaka and Fancy burst out laughing.

“That was great! Did you see the looks on their faces!”

“Indeed. I must thank you for helping take those two down a notch, and for playing along in my silly prank.” A different waitress came back with two apple turnovers.

“Y'all should probably take those to go, chef's not to happy about scar'n our customers.” She dropped the plates on the table and added. “Just between you and me, they totally deserved that.” She left two paper bags on the table before leaving.

“Yes, we probably should be going.” He levitated his meal into the bag. 'Oh no! I am not waiting to eat or embarrassing myself trying to carry this thing!' She took a deep breath and took large quick bites out of her plate. It was finished in only a few seconds. She wiped away the crumbs off her mouth.

“Okay now we can go.” Fancy smiled warmly and placed several bits on the table and they made their way out.
********************************************************************************************************

They had just stepped out of the restaurant when suddenly a blur of gray and pale yellow bumped into Misaka, nearly knocking her off balance, he barely slowed down and didn't even look back.

“Are you alright Misaka?” She opened her mouth to respond when a shrill voice cut her off.

“Someone stop him! He stole my purse!” Misaka and Fancy Pants looked quickly from the mare to the alleged thief.

“That must be the..” Fancy started but was cut off by Misaka

“The vandal!”