• Published 17th Nov 2013
  • 751 Views, 6 Comments

Lyra - Origins - XyroX



Lyra was born a human and accidentally landed in Equestria. What harm could a human cause in this pony-ruled wonderland?

  • ...
3
 6
 751

Get a Life

…Don’t stop running Lyra, run faster! Runrunrunrun… leave it all behind you! Oh crap!…

I woke up, covered in sweat. My nightmares are getting worse. I stood up, went to the kitchen and opened the fridge. I need a drink right now. Again… Yawning, I levitated the half empty bottle of Applejack Daniels to the kitchen table and turned to the closet to get a glass.

Ah, screw it.

Turning back to the bottle, I opened it and took a sip.

Is this my life? Waking up every damn night and starting to drink? Back then, I wasn’t such a wreck… I was popular, had frie- Who am I lying at? Apart from my… transformation… getting here was the best thing that could ever happen to me. Now get yourself together and use this goddamn chance!

I closed the bottle again and levitated it back to the fridge. Well, use this chance after you slept a bit. I smiled at myself and went to my room to continue my nightmares.

But there weren’t any. In fact, there wasn’t any dream. It was the kind of sleep where you close your eyes in the darkness, just to open them a second later to see that it’s bright outside. I rolled on my side, stretched and went to the bathroom to brush my teethe.

Do you even brush? Brushbrushbrushbrushbrush.. Jeez why can’t I get this damn song out of my head every single morning?

Today was the day I wanted everything to change. Get my life back together. Since my arrival in Equestria about two months ago, I haven’t done anything than being depressed and drinking. I took a quick breakfast and made my way to the town hall.

Think I should start with a job. Don’t even know how I could pay my rent all the time?

I looked at the board with a huge sign saying Jobs above it. Well, there weren’t too many choices, were there? Only two offers were pinned to the corkboard. I looked at the first.

Definitely won’t take that one! Let’s see the other one… NICE!

Cheering, I took one of the little paper strips with the address of the provider and started walking

A music ensemble lucking for a harpist, this ‘I’ll-change-my-life’ day couldn’t start better!

After about five minutes I arrived at a little house and knocked on the door. It took a while, but it was opened. A beige coated mare with a blue and pink mane, three candies as her cutie mark and beautiful cerulean eyes smiled at me.

“Hello, my name is Lyra Heartstrings. I’m here for the job offer in the town hall.”

She looked at me and responded “Wonderful! Come on in. As I can see, you should have the necessary qualifications.” She pointed at my cutie mark.

We sat down in her living room (Well, actually I was the only one really sitting, like always) and started to chat.

“My name is Sweetie Drops, or Bon Bon like everypony calls me.” she started. “As you may have noticed, I’m not really part of the group as I’m not really into the music-thing. I’m there for the catering." I looked at her, thinking about what kind of catering service a Candy-cutiemarked-pony could offer. “And I’m responsible for new members” she added smiling. “Now I’ve talked enough, tell me something about you!”

“Well, as I said, my name is Lyra Heartstrings, I’m in Eque- in Ponyville since about two months. I played the harp since I can remember, it’s like it’s my little sister to me, and we grew up together. I had several gigs on weddings, proms and such things.”

She nodded after every little information I gave her and started to grin after I finished. “But I bet you weren’t in a group like this before!”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, I don’t want to tell you everything and ruin the fun for Vinyl, but let’s say, she will kind of electrify you” she grinned even wider as she went to her phone and made a call.


Bon Bon and I kept chatting till somepony knocked on the door.

“Oh, I think that’s the rest of the group” she said and opened it.

The first thing I saw was a white lightning rushing into the room and almost crashing into me.

“WUB A DUB DUB MOTHER-”

VINYL!

“C’mon Octy!” A white unicorn stood in front of me and mustered me. “Who’s that?” she asked Bon Bon. She sighed and started introducing us.

“This is Lyra Heartstrings. She’s here for the free place in the group. And Lyra, these are Vinyl Scratch” she pointed at the white pony with an electric blue mane and dark-purple glasses “and Octavia Melody” she pointed at a light grey coated mare with dark gray mane and purple eyes.

“Nice to meet you.” Octavia started “I really hope that you’re finally the one who can complete our group again.” She looked at Vinyl, with a shade of anger in her eyes.

“Whoa, it wasn’t my fault Tender left!” Octavia and Bon Bon shook their heads with a little smile.

Oh god, what have I gotten myself into here?

“Anyway, we’re glad to have you here. Wanna start right away?”


Bon Bon was right, I really wasn’t in a group like that before. Back then I was in a little orchestra, with all kinds of instruments in it, but now… wubwubwubwubWUBWUBwubwubwub
Actually, I liked it. I wasn’t really a fan of this electro music, but together with my harp and Octavia playing her cello it sounded wonderful. After our little session, we sat together and spoke about ourselves to get each other to know. Vinyl and Octavia always sat really close to one another, and after a few minutes I couldn’t hold myself and asked right away

“So what’s between you two? Are you.. I mean if you don’t mind asking me…” Octavia looked at me, a little confused. Vinyl laughed, and to answer my question she leaned over to Octavia and kissed her.

The grey mare flushed and pushed Vinyl off of her. “Yes, we are. We didn’t want to tell you this on our first meeting, but now that you’ve figured it out anyway, we won’t deny it.” She looked at me, waiting for a reaction.

A little ashamed, I looked down on the ground, but then I responded “It’s always nice to see couples around, no matter what kind of couple.”

Vinyl smiled at me, obviously relieved. “I’m glad you’re OK with this, our last harpist was a bit more.. intolerant.. And left the group after I had a little argument with him.”

“You call that ‘a little argument’? Seriously?” Bon Bon looked at Vinyl, unbelieving “You punched the living-”

“And he deserved it, didn’t he?” Vinyl interrupted her. “He could’ve just left the group and nopony had been hurt. But after what he said, I couldn’t just let him go, could I?” I felt a shiver running down my back.

Oooh dear Celestia, maybe I should just take the other job on the board. - No! No you won’t! Do you look like a mail mare? You don’t ever will work for Derpy! - Derpy is alright, I like her.. - Yeah you do, but working with her would be.. Well.. Nah!

“You can be sure, I won’t ever be rude to any of you just because of your… way of living” I said, carefully choosing my words.

“Then there will be no problem and we’ll become the beeest friends!” Vinyl cheered, hugging me and pressing all the air out of me. I flushed a bit and smiled at my three new friends.

Seems like I’m finally starting to get a life here.