• Published 30th Nov 2013
  • 800 Views, 42 Comments

Operation: Patriotism - Darkryt Orbinautz



Post First Contact, Twilight must deal with a conspiracy prejudiced against her and alien lifeforms while on the wrong side of the law. But how far is she willing to go to stand up for what she believes in?

  • ...
23
 42
 800

IX: Operation: Imperialism

Twilight Sparkle was running. Running through a forest. Why was she running? She didn't know. She had forgotten. She had been running too long, running with a blindness in her eyes. Running because she didn't want to accept the truth, because she could no longer bear the stress and sadness of it all. Losing her home – TWICE, in a row – being framed for a murder she didn't commit, losing contact with all her friends and losing … losing Optimus.

If Celestia was a second mother to her (and she was), then Optimus was a second father.

Twilight ran up to a tree and stood by it. She started banging her head against in frustration, unable to think clearly through her raging emotions.

"It's not fair … it's not fair … it's not fair!" Tears fell from her eyes. If only Celestia was here, she might tell Twilight everything was going to be okay. If only Fluttershy was here, she might give Twilight a comforting hug. If only Optimus was here, he might say some encouraging words and make her a promise of some kind.

"It's not fair ..." Twilight repeated, a broken record playing in the forest where no one could hear her moan.

Twilight's ears perked up. She heard a cracking sound. She had been in combat situations too many times not to recognize the sound as the crackle of fire. She didn't know what it meant. It could mean nothing, it could be a forest fire was happening. So she decided to investigate. If it was a forest fire, she needed to know so she could work on escaping.

If it wasn't … well, anything would be better than out in the vast nothingness of the forest by herself.

Approaching with the caution she known for, Twilight found the source – two campers, out in the woods with camping supplies, with tents and a fire. The origin of the fire confirmed, Twilight was confronted with a new question.

Were they friend or foe?

"Hey, come on out," one of the campers encouraged her. "We're not gonna hurt ya."

With some reluctance, Twilight did so. The camper patted the log he was sitting on, inviting her over. "Come on." Twilight made her way to it and took her spot.

"So you're one of them, huh?" the camper asked. "One of the Equestrians, I mean?"

"Y-yeah," Twilight stammered.

"Wow. I wasn't sure you were real. I mean, I saw you on the news, of course, but I thought they were making it up, like, I don’t know, some kind of promotion. Just ...wow. A real live unicorn. Never thought I'd see the day."

"Yeah, it's something, isn't it?" Twilight asked. A gurgle erupted from her, prompting her to put her hooves on her stomach. "Um, this is embarrassing to ask, but I'm kind of in a situation. Do you have any food you could share?"

"Yeah, sure," the man pulled out a bag from behind the log. "We're campers. We came prepared." He pulled out a bag of chips and handed them to her.

"Thank you ..." Twilight took the chips with her magic and began eating.

"So, what are you doing all the way out here by yourself?" The camper asked.

"Oh, um ..." Twilight mumbled between bites. "It's a long story." There was a loud crunch as she took a large scoop of chips into her mouth.

"Huh. You want to tell it?" the other camper asked, swiping his finger along his phone.

"Why?"

The other camper held his phone up. "Because a reward for turning you over to the United States government just went up online."

"What? Let me see that..." Twilight levitated the phone towards herself, scanning over the website. True to the camper's word, it said: WANTED ALIVE: Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Equestria. Substantial monetary reward for her capture. Contact Director Theodore Galloway for details.

"Huh." Twilight's first thought was that she was wanted for her "murder" of Doctor Morocco, which wouldn't add up. They would need proof she was guilty before they had the authorization to declare her wanted.

Twilight noticed the two campers staring at with curious and cautious looks. She narrowed her eyes at them, knowing what they were thinking.

"Don't even try it, boys." Twilight warned them. "I will take you down before you get close to me."

Phone lines. Transactions. Uploads and downloads. Text messages. Calls between parents and their children.

The network.

Soundwave monitored all these things and more as he sifted through the data to find hints about anything he and Starscream might find useful. The network was Soundwave's plaything. The network not only yielded to him, it bowed down and begged he cast his attention on it.

Some distance away, Starscream was having little success browsing the Internet on a jury-rigged computer.

"How is that something called the Information Superhighway doesn't have any useful information?" Starscream whined. "A million, trillion gigabytes of data … and none of it useful."

Soundwave got up from his meditative seat and pointed at Starscream's screen.

Starscream raised his brow. "Google is better than Bing, you say? Well, I would have thought these human 'search engines' would be all equally inferior, but I'll give a try." Starscream typed into the computer to change from Bing to Google.

He needn't have bothered, as Soundwave picked up a text which proved relevant to their interests.

Hello. Optimus? Are you there? This is your old phone number Jack and the others used to call you, isn't it? Please tell me you're there.

I'm lost in a forest somewhere in the coordinates. If you get this, trace my signal and come find me. Please, Optimus. I'm scared. I'm alone, and I … I need to know at least one of my friends is okay.

-Twilight Sparkle

Soundwave clenched his fists. He walked towards the exit of the cave he and Starscream were staying in.Soundwave didn't feel the need to tell the panic-prone ex-Lieutenant where he was going. Starscream would only muck up his plans. Without another word, Soundwave converted to vehicular mode and flew out the cave.


"I warned you not to try it!" Twilight yelled as she smacked the camper's head with the log they had been sitting on. A fruitless gesture to satisfy her own rage, as she already had them beaten into unconsciousness. "Why doesn't anypony listen to me?" She confiscated the second camper's cell phone and texted Optimus, hoping he would come. Perhaps she should have tried the others first, like Bumblebee or Ratchet.

Before she could try to execute the new plan, she heard the whir of engines overhead. She was saved! An Aerialbot or Fowler in his jet had come to rescue her! She turned around and her smiled faded as she saw her "savior" was a jet she recognized as Soundwave.

Twilight readied a spell to incinerate him with. Soundwave reverted to automaton mode and deployed his tendrils to grab her before she could finish casting. He lifted her up and slammed her body against the trees a few times until he was confident he had established who was in control of the situation here.

"Alright," Twilight said. "You got me. Now what are you going to do with me?"

Soundwave adjusted her in his data-claws and lifted her towards his visor-masked face.


Ratchet was rolling along under a forest, grumbling his breath. A shadow fell over him.

“What?”

“Sir, we’ve found one,” he heard a voice say. A shot came in from above, striking Ratchet’s wheel and sending him into a spinout.

“Oof! What?” Ratchet shifted into robot mode. He saw a trio of Vehicons circling overhead like vultures, before they swooped down towards him.

Ratchet deployed his switchblade. Two of the Vehicons landed in front of him, wearing odd, red and blue colors rather than the standard Decepticon purple. Ratchet swung his blade at them, but he forgot to take into account the third one, who landed behind him and jammed an electrified prod into Ratchet’s back. Ratchet screamed in pain and fell to his knees. The Vehicons lifted his unconscious body up by the shoulders.


Elsewhere in America, Jack and Rainbow Dash were speeding down a highway while astride Arcee's seat. Jack was gripping Arcee's handlebars out of habit while Rainbow Dash sat behind him with her hooves wrapped around him. With her horse-sized bulk pressing into him, Jack was starting to wish he was sitting behind Rainbow Dash instead.

"Can't you pull over and break for a minute, Arcee?" Rainbow Dash asked as another car passed them, blowing nauseous emissions up Dash and Jack's noses.

"Quit whining." Arcee snapped. "I see a town up ahead."

"Oh, finally." Rainbow huffed as sign designating a town appeared on the horizon. Arcee drove into the town and at Jack's urging, pulled into the parking lot of the first restaurant they saw.

"They should have a phone we can use." Jack said, dismounting Arcee. "And I'm sure Rainbow Dash could use a snack, right, Dash?"

"You know it!" Dash cheered as she followed Jack off. "But … shouldn't we be trying to find our friends, first?"

"It's fine." Arcee said. "You go inside and get some food. I'll work on trying to call the others on the comm while you eat."

Jack and Rainbow Dash entered the restaurant, where they were quick to catch the cashier's notice. "Hey! If isn't the organics of Team Prime!"

Jack chuckled nervously while Dash basked in the praise. "Yup! That's us. What's your best meal?"

"That would be two burgers and fries."

"We'll take it!"

Jack pulled out his wallet. "How much is it?"

"Oh, that won't be necessary," the clerk assured them. "It's the least I can do for heroes of the country, if not the entire planet. I'll go get started on your meals. Have a seat." The clerk turned and went into the back. Jack and Rainbow Dash pulled up seats.

"Heh, well, that's true." Rainbow Dash shrugged. "We did save the world, after all."

Jack shrugged. "Yeah, yeah..." Jack rubbed his chin. Something about being offered a free meal struck him as more suspicious than generous.

"Here you go," a waiter presented them with a tray for their food. Jack and Rainbow Dash began eating. They were halfway through when Jack glanced up at the screen, which confirmed his earlier suspicions. There were mugshots of all of Team Prime, Autobots and organics, displayed under a wanted banner. He also saw the clerk on his phone, keeping eyes on them.

"Okay," Jack said, dropping his burger and grabbing Rainbow Dash. "We have to go."

"Wha-hey!" Dash protested as Jack dragged her back to Arcee. "I wasn't finished!"

"Oh yes you were," Jack said. "Come on, get on."

"Where's the fire?" Arcee asked.

"In the restaurant." Jack answered. "I saw wanted posts for us on the news, and the clerk was on his phone. We're getting out of here."

"What?"

"It makes sense." Arcee said. "Something's blocking my signal. Let's roll for it." After making sure Jack and Dash were on tight, Arcee backed out of the parking lot and accelerated down the road at speeds exceeding the legal limit.

It was just a hair too late, as a Bridge opened up behind them and produced a pair of Vehicon cars which gave pursuit.

"Vehicons!" Rainbow shouted.

"But how did the clerk call them?" Jack asked. "And why are they painted like the American flag?"

"We can worry about that later!" Arcee accelerated her speed, driving so fast the wind pressed into Jack's and Dash's faces. They went by at such a fast rate it was a feat they didn't cause a crash.

They escaped the city limits and continued speeding. Another Bridge appeared overhead and dropped another Americana-dressed Vehicon in front of them, who stood in front of Arcee's path and grabbed her by the front end, lifting her up and tossing Jack and Dash off.

"HEY!" Dash yelled as she and Jack hit the ground. More Vehicons descended from the Bridge and surrounded them.

"What's our move, Jack?" Dash whispered. "Fight, run, what?"

"I'd say ..." Jack craned his neck. Arcee reverted to robot mode and attempted to strike a Vehicon with a roundhouse. The Vehicon countered and grabbed her leg, tossing her to the ground. Arcee attempted to push herself up. The other Vehicons surrounded her and began kicking her and striking until she went down.

Seeing how the Vehicons took down Arcee with ease, Jack made his choice. "Surrender." He stood up and put his hands on his head.


In another location, Bulkhead drove around, trying to make his way out of the forest they ended up at.

Bulkhead drove a large branch which sent a bump through him, bringing Miko to. "Mmm?" Miko turned her head and saw Fluttershy in the driver's seat. "Fluttershy? W-what's going on?"

"Take it easy." Fluttershy told her, putting a hoof on Miko's chest. "You worked really hard to fight the Predacons. You need rest."

"Did -did we beat them?" Miko asked. Fluttershy's cautious silence was all the answer Miko needed. "Oh … where's Optimus? And Jack?"

"They got separated," Bulkhead answered. "We had to split up to keep the Predacons off our tail."

"Oh." Miko sagged into her chair. "Okay." Miko crossed her arms. It was clear to Fluttershy Miko wasn't okay with it at all.

"They'll be okay." Fluttershy assured her, patting Miko on the shoulder. "They're all very tough, and I'm sure they're doing all right."

Miko shook her head. "Fluttershy … I appreciate the whole "motherly comfort" thing, but you can drop it with me." She pushed Fluttershy's hoof off.

There was an unnatural rumble throughout the forest. It scared Miko and Fluttershy so much they lunged at each other to hug and tremble together.

"It's fine," Bulkhead said. "I'm sure it's just a seismic disturbance."

Miko eyed at Bulkhead's HUD. "You mean an earthquake?"

"Err… yes. I was trying to make it less scary!"

"Don't sugarcoat it, Bulkhead!" There was another threatening rumble, sending Miko back into Fluttershy's soft embrace. "Changed my mind. Sugarcoat it, Bulk."

"Ah!" A voice said. "At last I found you! I was so worried my senses would fail me."

"Who's that?" Miko asked.

"I don't know, and I don't want to find out." Bulkhead shifted gears and began accelerating.

"Wait! Stop! Please turn around," the stranger pleaded.

"I'll pass," Bulkhead spun his tires and attempted to take off. A loud crunch of metal like a crane lifting and crushing a car assaulted their ears. Bulkhead was lifted into the air and turned around, where they laid eyes upon a unique form they recognized as Rampage in crab mode.

"Rampage!" Fluttershy cried with glee. Without any hesitation, she bucked Bulkhead's door open and flew down to snuggle on Rampage's back.

"Uh, Bulkhead?" Miko asked. "You want to catch me up here?"

"I would." Bulkhead answered, watching as sweet and soft Fluttershy walk up and cuddle the violent, murderous result of a Decepticon experiment without a trace of fear. "But I have no idea."

"Miko, this is Rampage." Fluttershy introduced him. "He's an attempt by Straxus to create a living weapon of mass destruction. I offered him friendship and treatment to ease his physical pain if he would help the Autobots, and he did." Fluttershy emphasized this by nuzzling Rampage with her cheek. "I thought I had lost him when Straxus blew up the base, but here he is!"

"Yes," Rampage lifted his claw and pet Fluttershy's head. "I thought I had lost you as well, but I swam the ocean and moved the earth until I found a whiff of your scent. How sweet that lady fate has allowed me to find you again!"

"Rampage?" Fluttershy spoke with a sweet tone. "My friends and I are lost and separated from the rest of our friends. Would you mind helping us too terribly much?"

"Anything for you, my sweet."

Miko found Rampage's answer rather creepy. Rampage lifted Bulkhead up and placed him on his back, which was more than large enough to house his vehicular mode and Fluttershy comfortably – and with elbow room leftover to boot.

"We shall away!" Rampage shouted, beginning the long skitter to leave the forest. Fluttershy Bulkhead's car body bounced on Rampage's back as the crab robot moved.

"Bulkhead?" Miko asked.

"Yes?"

"Between the Insections and Rampage here, Fluttershy sure has a thing for befriending psychotic Decepticon monsters, huh?"

"Miko! Be nice! He's helping us. Even if he is being really creepy about it ..."

Rampage exited the forest, bringing them into the sunlight. Unbeknownst to them, another one of the Americana-dressed Vehicons was patrolling the skies around the forest. When the Vehicon saw them leaving, he banked a hard right and radioed for back-up.

"Commander, I've located a wanted Team Prime member. Request for back-up," a Bridge materialized behind him.

"Rampage, why did you stop?" Fluttershy asked when the crab came to a halt.

"I sense danger." Rampage turned around and raised his claws to the sky, seeing the patrol of Vehicons descending. "Come, soldiers. Face your doom, so that I might feed on your corpses!"

"Oh, um..." Fluttershy mumbled. "I'm not so sure you should do that, Rampage. Corpses aren't um, healthy for you."

"Sweet." Miko whistled, sliding down Rampage's shell and hopping to the ground. "Some action! Come on, you boys, let's rip it up!" Miko punched at the air, ready for a scrap. The Vehicons looked to each other, confused about Miko's confidence in challenging Cybertronians much larger than she was.

"Bulkhead, Miko, and Fluttershy of Team Prime, under the authority of the United States of America, you are under arrest," the Vehicons raised their weapons.

"Aw, yeah! Let's rumble – wait did you say?" Miko lost her thirst for combat under her confusion. "United States of America?"

Bulkhead jumped off Rampage's back and reverted to automaton mode. "Yeah!" Bulkhead primed his melee weapons. "Haven't you heard? The treatise says it's illegal for Decepticons to be on American soil!"

"We're not Decepticons," a Vehicon answered. "Not anymore. So we have legal right to be here and the legal authority to arrest you. If you resist arrest, you'll only be making things worse on yourself."

Rampage tilted his head up to look at Fluttershy. "You need only the say the word, my lady, and I will tear these infidels to scrap." Rampage snapped his claws. Fluttershy whimpered, unsure what to answer.

"Hold on." Bulkhead said. "Something's going on here, and I want to know what."

"Bulkhead, don't make this any harder than it has to be." A Vehicon growled.

Bulkhead raised his maces up and got ready to charge.

Bulkhead raised his maces up and got ready to charge. Another Bridge opened, dropping three Vehicons and a Decepticon Leaper onto the battlefield.

Bulkhead growled. "I hate to say it girls, but I think surrender may be our best option here."

"What?" Miko complained. "No way, Bulk!"

"Miko, we don’t know many troops they have. If this is it, or if they’re more waiting in the wings. And I don’t know about you, but I really don’t fancy fighting a Leaper, let alone more than one if they’ve got more to spare. It's better we surrender and then fight our way out from the jail than

"Bah! I am tireless." Rampage scoffed. "But if surrender is what the lady Fluttershy wishes, I will comply."

"Not having to fight anypony would be nice," Fluttershy said. Rampage sighed and tossed his claws into the air. Bulkhead and Miko, with some reluctance, did the same.


Rarity was mumbling in her sleep, dreaming about all of the comforts of home she had taken for granted.

"Hmm, sweet apples from Applejack's stall … a fresh-baked pie in the morning … mmm." Rarity rolled over her in her pile of hay.

A knocking of wood on wood woke her, causing the fresh smell of unwashed horses to crawl her up in her nose.

"Up and at 'em, Prissy." A blonde girl in overalls informed.

"It's Rarity." Rarity rolled to her hooves. "And must I? It's unseemly for anypony to be up this early in the morning ..." She rubbed her eyes.

"You know what the rules are," the girl reminded her, pulling open her stall. "You do chores for us, we let you stay here while you recover from … say, you never mentioned what it was you needed to recover from."

Rarity closed her eyes, thinking of the circumstances which led to her, Raf, and Bumblebee seeking refuge on a farm. The Predacons attacking, Team Prime splitting up for safety … it was all a bit too much for her to bear. They were lucky enough to stumble onto a farm, whose owners were generous enough to let them stay a few nights to get back on their feet. On the provision they help with the running of the farm, of course. As a friend of Applejack's, Rarity was no stranger than farm life.

That didn't mean she had to like getting her hooves muddy, however.

With a dramatic sigh, Rarity dragged herself out of the stables she had been given for a bed and made her way to follow the girl outside. Bumblebee and Raf were already up, trying to help pluck fruit from the trees. Bumblebee went about with cautions, as a robot harvesting fruit from human-grown trees was a recipe for disaster if mishandled. Raf was struggling to reach the fruit, even with the help of a ladder.

"Oh." Rarity cooed. She found the sight of Raf struggling to help adorable. She couldn't resist the desire to give him just a little boost, so she used her magic to lift him up.

Bumblebee chose the moment to turn his head. When he saw Raf floating the air without suspension, he panicked. "Raf, what are you doing?" He rushed over and scooped Raf into his hands, and it wasn't until he had done this and given Rarity a good scare he realized Raf was in the grip of magic. Bumblebee rolled his optics.

"Now, now, Bumblebee. There's no need for panic."

Rarity was met with a snap by Bumblebee, not pleased by her randomly going around levitating Raf on her random and arbitrary whims. "Beep beep beep beep? Be-beep beep beeeep?"

Rarity raised her leg and backed away. Bumblebee shook his head and sighed.

Bumblebee gently laid Raf on the ground. He sighed, bleeping to Rarity an apology for being perhaps a tiny bit overprotective.

"Yes." Rarity waltzed up to Raf and patted his head. "He is just a darling little thing, isn't he?" Raf was caught half-way between taking offense and blushing.

"All right, y'all." The blonde farmer shouted. "That's enough for right now. Why don't you come into the house and take a break?"

"That would be lovely." Rarity assured her, despite not doing much work. She followed the farmer to the stairs before noticing Raf wasn't following. "Rafael, darling, aren't you coming inside?"

"No thanks." Raf waved. "I want to make a phone call … let my mom know I'm okay."

"Suit yourself." Rarity went inside and dropped onto the couch.

"Lemonade?" The farmer offered her a glass.

"Thank you." Rarity took it with her magic and sipped it. The farmer got up a remote and turned the television on. "Aw, now this is living. On a couch, no worries, and with entertainment playing at your hooves." Rarity sighed contentedly before tilting her head. "Well, I suppose it's not "no worries." We still have to find the rest of our friends ..."

"You'll get on that, won't you?" the farmer asked.

"Of course! Just as soon as Bumblebee gives the word."

The farmer glanced at the television. "You might want to persuade him to give the word faster. Take a look."

"What?" Rarity looked at the screen. Her jaw dropped. There was a wanted poster for all of Team Prime, including herself and even Twilight.

"Anyone with information regarding these dangerous criminals is highly advised to come forward -" the newscaster said.

"Oh, I'll show you dangerous!" Rarity growled. She glanced at the phone on the desk. "You … you're not going to call, are you, my good madam?"

"Of course not," the farmer waved. "But I reckon y'all might want to get to the bottom of this, and quick."

Rarity took her words to heart and rushed outside. "Rafael! Bumblebee! We need to -" Rarity skidded to a halt, seeing a Bridge open in the sky.

"Beep?" Bumblebee asked, before he saw the Bridge. He aimed his blasters.

The farmer stepped outside.

"I thought you said you wouldn't call!" Rarity growled at her.

The farmer shrugged, clueless. "I didn't!"

"Then … who did?"

"Um ..." Raf raised his phone up. "I just placed a call to my mom. You don't think maybe they tracked it?"

Bumblebee beeped, asking who 'they' were. He got his answer in the form of yet more of the America-colored Vehicons emerging from the portal and aiming weapons at Bumblebee.

"Members of Team Prime, come willingly or we will be forced to shoot and destroy your outpost!"

The farmer gasped. "Not my house!"

"Beep beep," Bumblebee was sure he could take them.

"No, no," Rarity said, looking at the farmer. "She's been so kind to us … to repay her by letting these brutes destroy her house … we'll come willingly! Just don't ruin the house of this upstanding citizen!"


In a much more controlled environment, inside Galloway's office, Galloway was sitting as his desk rolling a pen between his fingers. He was supposed to be signing paperwork, but he couldn't focus with the click-clack of Celestia's gold shoes on his floor. The good Princess was pacing back and forth in his office with a worried fretful expression.

After putting up with it for about ten minutes, Galloway decided to do something to end the Princess' pacing. "Princess Celestia, I understand you came to me because you’re concerned about the lack of contact from some of your friends and thought I might be able to help, but would you mind stopping that pacing?"

Princess Celestia stopped and looked up to stare at him. "I'm sorry, Mister Galloway. It's just… I'm terribly worried about Twilight Sparkle. I said some things I've come to regret since seeing her last, and I've yet to hear any contact from her. Not a letter from Spike, not a Cybertronian drone relaying a message. I'm worried I won't hear from her again or have the chance to apologize to her..."

"Well, I can see why that might make you pace for hours on end, but still." Galloway stood up and shook papers in his hand. "I have work to do, and I would appreciate your silence. Let me assure you once again, we have our best men working on it."

Celestia nodded and sat down on the floor… only for the appearance of a Bridge to spring her back to her hooves. Twilight Sparkle came flying out of the Bridge like a pro football player had hurled her. Twilight landed on the waxed floor and slid until a wall stopped her.

"Twilight Sparkle!" Celestia ran up to Twilight and nuzzled her, not even paying attention as the Bridge disappeared. "I'm so glad to see you! I was worried I wouldn't have the chance to apologize..." Celestia stopped nuzzling and cleared her throat. "For, um, some things I may have said. Are you alright?"

"Yes, Princess. I'm fine." Twilight's gaze turned to Galloway, as if seeing him in a new light of revelation.

She got to her hooves, her gaze never letting up on Galloway.

"Well, since you have your precious student back, I'll thank you both to leave my office and do the whole kiss and make up routine on your own time." Galloway said with some impatience.

Celestia nodded and put her hoof on Twilight. As Celestia and Twilight were heading for the door, Twilight stopped at the television in Galloway's office, with the headline "AUTOBOT BASE DESTROYED" scrolling across the screen.

"Residents are at a loss to explain the sudden destruction of the Autobot base, designated Outpost Omega-One, just outside Jasper," a news reporter said. It cut to a citizen being interviewed.

"No idea what happened," the citizen said. "One day it was just standing there, the next, it just went BOOM! You could see the explosion for miles."

"The whole thing went up in smoke. Go on down the road, you can still see the smoke. We can't get real close because the police taped it off for a mile and a half."

"We went to an expert on the Autobots, local June Darby." Twilight gasped. Seeing Jack's mother on the screen was troubling for her.

"June Darby, do you have any knowledge on what happened?"

"I don't know what happened," June said.

"Do you have any ideas? Did Optimus tell you anything?"

"I don't know. I don't have any theories for you. Optimus didn't tell me he was planning on an extreme make over or anything like that. All I want to know is if my son is safe." June clutched her hands at her chest.

"No… the base is gone?" Twilight had to fight tears. "Optimus …" Celestia wrapped a wing around Twilight's body. Twilight buried her head into the offered wing. "Oh, Princess… Optimus… he stayed behind so my friends and I could escape."

"Tell me all about it." Celestia asked, guiding Twilight to the door. As impassive as a machine could be to Twilight's crying, a buzzer sounded from Galloway's desk.

Galloway pushed a button. "Galloway here. What do you have?"

"Americons to Galloway. We have captured multiple members of Team Prime. What do you want done with them?"

Twilight's ears flexed and her tears slowed. "Team Prime?"

"Remain on standby for further instruction." Galloway informed them. He took his finger off the button and sat down in his chair. He saw Twilight and Celestia glaring at him from the other side of his desk. Galloway pressed his finger against his head. "What do you want now?"

"I heard you talking with your agent. He said he captured members of Team Prime?" Twilight demanded.

Galloway raised his brow. "Yes, why? I put wanted notices for every member and associate of Team Prime out. I figured it would be the best way to bring them to a safe location quickly."

Twilight tilted her head. "Why not just use a missing persons notice?"

"Not as urgent."

Twilight glared. In what universe did Galloway live in that a missing persons wasn't as urgent as a wanted poster? By Twilight's logic, a missing persons would be more urgent than a wanted poster, as a wanted person would want to stay missing while a missing person would want to be found before they got hurt.

"Galloway, I demand you release any members of Team Prime or any Equestrians or Cybertronians from your custody to mine. Now." Celestia growled.

Galloway drew himself sharply, contemplating whether or not he would argue the will of a pony who controlled her planet's sun. Galloway pushed the button.

"Galloway here. Transport all members of Team Prime to outside my office for transfer."

"Yes, sir."

A green light flashed from outside. Celestia and Twilight glared at Galloway, then exited the building. Galloway peeked outside to see as Celestia and Twilight shared joyful reunions with the recovered members of Team Prime – with the exceptions of Ratchet, Optimus, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie.

Galloway checked his the watch on his wrist. He had a meeting right about now, if he could get away without Twilight and her collection of rabble noticing. He hurried out the door and tapped on his phone. “Galloway, one Bridge, please.” A Bridge opened outside the building, which he hurried through. “For as much as I might dislike the Autobots, these Bridges sure do come in handy!”


Galloway emerged on the other side. Smoking rubble and burning slag was all around him. The noxious smell of gas and arson poisoned the air. Galloway walked through the destruction and ruin without an ounce of care or empathy. Up ahead, all around him, were Lazerback's splinter faction of Predacons, digging through the wreckage like slaving dogs. One beaked Predacon picked up an i-beam and spit it out. The police tape spread out for a mile wasn't to keep citizens away for their own protection; it was to keep them from discovering Lazerback's Predacons as they dug through the rubble.

Despite walking around the playground of mechanical beasts who could rip him to shreds and would have no qualms about doing so, Galloway continued to maintain his business face until he was behind a red and gold Predacon.

"Ah, Galloway!" Lazerback said, turning around and rubbing his hands together. He made a grand gesture to the piles of rubble. "As you can see, I think you will be most satisfied with my team's success."

"Yes, yes. I see the base is destroyed. But what about the other part? What about the important part of the deal?" Galloway demanded.

With the swagger and toxic charm of an auctioneer host, Lazerback raised his finger. "Not to worry." Lazerback bowed and stepped to the side, gesturing to an arm sticking out of the scrap. Optimus Prime's arm, holding out of the rubble as if grasping for the sky.

Galloway noticed what appeared to a broken portrait with Fluttershy, Ratchet, and Optimus on it. He suspected there were more people in the picture before it became scorched and shattered, like something stepped on it. "Hmm. Anyways, Lazerback."

"I figured it would be best to keep him buried until you were here, so you could see the grand unveiling, if you will. The moment of truth." Lazerback grabbed the limb and pulled it out, producing Optimus Prime's arm.

And only his arm.

"What?" Lazerback tossed the arm to the ground and began brushing away dirt. He reverted to beast mode, dug through the pile, then converted to robot mode. "Where is THE REST OF HIM!?"

One of Lazerback's thugs came up behind him, scratching his head. "I don't know, boss. Why's it so important to have the rest of him? I mean, we got his arm, right?" The unnamed Predacon picked up the arm. "That proves he's dead, right?"

"We need… the rest of his body… to confirm he's dead! Do you realize what this means?"

"Uh… no."

Lazerback snatched the arm and used it to whack his subordinate over the head. "It means, save for losing one arm, he COULD STILL BE ALIVE! FIND HIM!"
The Predacon stumbled from Lazerback's disciplining. Once he righted himself, he saluted, reverted to beast mode, and took off.

Galloway chuckled, amused. "Well, Lazerback … call me back when you can confirm he's dead," a Bridge opened for Galloway. Galloway exited through it, leaving Lazerback to scowl by himself and stew in his frustration.


"Why are we here?" Rainbow Dash asked, her legs bustling with the need to stretch. The organics of Team Prime, plus Celestia, were at a government office, surrounded by people in suits, including Fowler and Dylan Gould, all of them chattering, though Gould was wisely keeping his distance from Twilight. "I don't want to be here. I want to stretch my legs, fly with Fluttershy, and maybe ride Arcee around. I want to feel free."

"Hush, Rainbow Dash." Rarity whispered. "Galloway has an announcement to make. It will explain why we were all branded wanted criminals, or so I'm told. Though I do question why he left the Autobots out of the occasion."

"Quiet, please." Celestia told them. "Galloway is about to speak."

Galloway appeared in the room like a shadowy mist emerging from the darkness. He climbed up to the podium, tapped it to test it, and cleared his throat. "Dear friends and countrymen, it is with a heavy heart that I must tell you … the Autobots have been planning to betray us."

Loud gasps and quiet muttering swept through the room.

"As you know, Omega One, the base of Optimus Prime himself, has been destroyed. Sifting through the wreckage, my men found this." Galloway produced a computer tablet with blue lines over its screen. "This tablet contains detailed plans to attack various Earth settlements to coerce our government to comply with their demands."

Twilight's and Celestia's jaws dropped. "WHAT?"

"As you know, the United States has always made it a policy to never negotiate with terrorists. But there is a silver lining. With my recently passed Alien Peacetime Cooperation laws, we have a way to tell the good aliens from the bad. Any non-earth creatures who do not follow these restrictions are to be considered threats to our security, and to the American way of life. As a result of this betrayal, the President of the United States has seen fit to declare a state of martial law and put me in charge until the Autobot threat can be contained. If you see a Cybertron or Equestrian about without sufficient identification, please report them immediately. Thank you for your time and you cooperation."

"I don't believe it." Celestia muttered. "I can't imagine Optimus Prime would come up with such a plan... especially one so overly simple-minded."

"Cooperation." Twilight muttered. "I'll show him cooperation ..." Twilight charged for the podium, against Celestia's shouting objection.

Galloway reared back when he saw Twilight Sparkle gunning for him. Twilight climbed next to the podium and pointed at him. "What proof do you have this is Optimus Prime's plan?"

"Well, it's simple enough. We found it in his base. Therefore, it's his."

"Let me see that!" Twilight, without waiting for Galloway's consent, used her magic to take the tablet away from him. She gave the tablet a quick scan. "These are SCORPONOK's plans! His plans from the raid!" Twilight froze. "The raid … you had us do. You planned this! You were planning this all along, for Operation: Patriotism, weren't you? And if I were a betting pony, I'd say the President's decision to chose you as leader wasn't made willingly!"

Galloway smirked, seeing a political maneuver. "Twilight Sparkle, no one mentioned anything about an Operation: Patriotism. It's clear you're just making things up in order to satisfy your personal vendetta against me."

"You- you! AGH!" Twilight huffed. She snarled and snorted at him, scraping her hoof. "You will call me PRINCESS Twilight Sparkle, you -"

"Twilight Sparkle." Celestia climbed up and put a hoof on Twilight. "May I speak to you somewhere private?"

Twilight looked to Celestia. She tossed Galloway a hateful glare before following her.

"And don't worry about your Autobot friends, Sparkle." Galloway shouted at her with a mocking tone. "As long as they comply with my regulations, they will pardoned for their compliance in Optimus's scheme."

"OPTIMUS DIDN'T HAVE A SCHEME!" Twilight shouted. She charged up her horn and prepared to blast Galloway straight through the heart with a lethal blast. Celestia touched horns with Twilight, canceling Twilight's magic out with her's.

"Princess!" Twilight whined. "You can't believe all the slag he's saying, can you?"

"I can." Celestia answered, shocking Twilight. "And if you can control your temper long enough to follow me back to Equestria, I will explain why. Galloway, a Space Bridge to Equestria, if you please?"

Galloway nodded and pushed a button on his cell phone.

"Come along." Celestia told her little ponies, bringing Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Fluttershy with her and Twilight through the Bridge.

Arriving at Canterlot Castle, Celestia bid Twilight and her friends to spread out through the room. "Girls, if you would all have a seat while I tell my tale to Twilight Sparkle ..." The girls did as instructed, though Twilight showed her disdain with a huff before obeying.

"I would like to remind you all of Discord and how deceptive he could be. He could have easily appeared as a friend if it helped him. And ... I would like to tell you the story of Scorpan."

Rainbow Dash tilted her head. She looked around the room, hoping somepony else could explain, but nopony did. "Who's Scorpan?"

"Someone I met long ago." Celestia said. She glanced upwards in wistful thought. "He and his brother came to Equestria from another land … the same land, I suspect, Hydia came from. He and his brother ravaged the land, destroying the peaceful way of life and causing a great pain to many ponies. One day, something changed within him. Scorpan realized what he was doing and came to befriend us and make amends. He helped us defeat his brother and returned to his own land as a friend. It is because of this … it is for that reason I thought Chrysalis could be formed. It is because if a monster such as Scorpan was could see the error of his way, then I have no trouble believing Optimus Prime is capable of the inverse; a patriot becoming corrupt."

"I guess ..." Twilight looked at the ground. "No! NO! We are talking about someone who waged a war for four million years to defend the universe and couldn't bring himself to end it because he felt guilty about his best friend being on the other side!"

"Yes." Rarity said. "But darling, think. What if he was manipulating the Decepticons all along to make it so he could take over the universe himself once the Decepticons outlived their usefulness?"

"WHAT? Don't be ridiculous, Rarity! You don't actually believe that, do you?"

"I'm … not sure what I believe anymore." Rarity shook her head. "It's a theory. Don't forget, Megatron was a well-intentioned freedom fighter once, as well. I'm just saying, it's possible Optimus fell off the same wagon …"

"No!" Twilight stomped her hooves. "We are talking about an Autobot who's last request to me was to take care of his family. Tell me how somepony like Megatron ask something like that?" Twilight put her hoof on her cheek. "Oh my gosh. Who's going to lead the Autobots now?"

"I would presume Metalhawk." Celestia said.

"Metalhawk is not and will never be an Autobot." Twilight growled. "And don't assume he speaks for us!"

All the same, in addition to mine, Metalhawk provided his signature for Galloway's legislature. His Peacetime Cooperation laws are legal and binding."

Twilight's jaw hung limp. "Princess! How could you?" Twilight began stomping on her front hooves. "Didn't Optimus get through to you? Don't you realize he's just trying to bully you into getting his own way? His "threat" of war is empty! He doesn't have the authority and even if he did, Equestria's magic would beat Earth's military in an instant!"

Celestia drew a level and stoic face. "Have you spoken your mind?"

Twilight panted, her outburst leaving her out of breath. "Yes. I think I have."

"My faithful student … do you take me for a fool?" Celestia asked.

“You’re not really giving much reason to think otherwise…” Twilight mumbled.

"Hmm. Be that as it may, I am not some easily misled filly, Twilight Sparkle. I know what Galloway is doing. I am fully aware he lacks the authority – or didn't before the state of martial law. I knew what I was doing when I signed the bills. I was protecting Equestria. I realize you may have trouble accepting this, my faithful student, but I do wish to create a conflict with another world if I can avoid it at all, and I will avoid it at all costs and use violence only as a last resort."

"Sounds all fine and dandy, until somepony realizes you’re basically saying you’re willing to let yourself be bullied into doing things that aren’t right because you’re afraid of what some primitives might be able to do, even though we have magic and a better understanding of Cybertech than they do," Twilight replied.

Celestia stomped her hoof. “Twilight Sparkle, that is out of line.”

“You’re out of - oh, forget it…” Twilight turned away from Princess Celestia.

"Hey!" Shining Armor entered the room. "What's going on, Twiley?"

Twilight gave her brother only a sparing glance. "Princess Celestia, you still can't deny Galloway is framing the Autobots! Framing us!"

Celestia sighed. "Yes, Twilight Sparkle. However, there is little I can do without Galloway threatening our lands. I am sorry if putting the safety of a country's ponies above the innocence of one Autobot runs counter to your priorities, but my hooves are tied."

Twilight considered looking at Celestia with a pitying, pleading gaze,, but she thought better of it and nodded. "I understand, Princess. But still, I promise, I won't rest until Optimus and the Autobots are proven innocent! Until we're proven innocent."

"Twiley ..." Shining Armor put his hoof on his sister. "You realize you're … not an Autobot, right?"

Twilight gasped. "You take that back right now! Tell him, Princess! Tell him I'm an Autobot!"

Celestia hung her head. "While I admire your conviction, Twilight Sparkle, I'm afraid I can't say that. You do recall I attempted to have you segregated from Optimus Prime, yes? My decision was … poorly thought-out, but it sprung largely from the words of your brother. He … convinced me your relationship with Optimus was the reason behind mistakes you've made recently."

"Mistakes?" Twilight asked. "What mistake – ooh, this is about the Changeling Queen again, isn't it? Princess, I told you I did my best. Do you think I purposely sabotaged my efforts at befriending and redeeming her because I like the Changeling Batteries? Because I like condemning an entire species to a fate that amounts to being used for meat? Do you not believe me? Do you think Shining Armor's word is better than mine?"

"Nothing of the sort!" Celestia decreed. "However, Shining Armor did tell me when he stumbled upon your efforts, you reacted towards him with violence, so it seemed possible your Autobot training may have interfered with your ability to reform..."

"He surprised me! I thought he might have been a Decepticon or something."

"And certainly nopony was suggesting you yourself were deliberately sabotaging your efforts to redeem so the Batteries remained in use until just now," Celestia added, giving Twilight a suspicious glare. Twilight realized how bad she looked when the Princess put that way and turned away from her again. "Anyways, that other incident was enough for me to believe Shining Armor when he suggested trying to separate you from Optimus would be best." Celestia frowned, remembering Optimus' offense at her decree. "A decision, in hindsight, I regret supporting. I'm not sure what I was thinking."

"Shining Armor … B.B.B.F.F ..." Twilight turned to him with tears in her eyes. "How could you say that? How could you do that?"

"Twile,y I … I wanted you to see you're not an Autobot. I don't want you to be an Autobot. And nothing you can do can change the fact you're not some twenty foot machine who turns into a race car. Why can't you see that?"

Twilight's voice was broken. "Why can't you see, under the skin, I am an Autobot, at my core?" Twilight turned to Celestia. "And why can't you see Galloway's is a big, fat, phony!?"

"Twilight Sparkle, some of your complaints against Galloway are justified, but the idea he's been this "Operation: Patriotism" is a baseless accusation and leads me to question the validity of some of your other complaints."

Twilight sniffed, pushing Shining Armor away. "Yeah… yes, I understand." Twilight trotted towards the exit. She stopped and cast Celestia a glare over her shoulder.

"But I want you to think about – I want you ALL to think about -" Twilight pointed at her friends, "the last time I made a baseless accusation, Cadence was trapped under the mines and Changelings almost took over Canterlot." Twilight left the room, leaving everypony to wince under her stinging reminder of that time.

Shining Armor took a headcount. "Say, where's Applejack and Pinkie Pie?"

Twilight stopped. She trotted to the tune of a dirge from the throne room, biting back a raging scream of frustration, her bitter tears still stinging her eyes. She was scared backwards by a firecracker exploding in front of her.

"Huzzah!" announced a periwinkle unicorn. "The Great and Powerful Trixie has come to entertain thee, Twilight Sparkle!"

"Trixie?" Twilight asked. "What are you doing here?"

"Trixie -" Trixie cleared her throat. "I mean, I came here to cheer you up. That is what a friend does for a friend who's upset she lost her house, yes?"

"Well, yeah, but … how did you know?"

"The Guard told me." Trixie gestured to behind. A Royal Guard was forthcoming and bowed to Twilight.

"Princess Twilight, we have recovered what we could of your things from the wreckage of the library. They're waiting for you in the other room."

"Thank you. And please, just call me Twilight." The Guard bowed again and departed. Twilight and Trixie entered the adjacent room, where Twilight's belongings were piled.

Twilight sighed. The sight of them brought back once-fond memories which were depressing now. She began sifting through the things with her magic, lifting them all into the air at once.

"Let's see … pictures, a few books. Oh, my fifth place medal from the Running of the Leaves ..." Twilight chuckled before resuming her depression. She noticed another shiny object in the pile – an Autobot symbol with a holographic lighting effect and wings. "Oh, my Elite Guard medallion."

"Medallion?" Trixie asked.

"Optimus Prime gave one to my friends and I for helping stop Trypticon." Twilight said, walking away from Trixie while holding the medallion up. Twilight took a long time to stare at it, as if she was trying to burrow into its soul.

Twiley, you realize you're … not an Autobot.

"I am an Autobot." Twilight said, confusing Trixie. "Optimus Prime is innocent. Galloway is behind Operation: Patriotism." Determination renewed, Twilight slowly lowered the medallion to the floor.

"Trixie … would you mind helping me send out a few invites to some friends of mine?"

"Not at all! Which friends?"

"Let's start with Susan."

Several hours later, Princess Celestia and Shining Armor were in Ponyville, visiting the ruins of Twilight's library out of a sense of longing. The Guards were digging through, trying to see if there was anything else they could salvage.

Celestia sighed. "It's such a waste, isn't it? A perfectly good library, completely destroyed. Think of all the knowledge in those buried tomes ..."

"Yeah." Shining Armor nodded. "But maybe Twiley can move back in with me. Maybe after spending a few months with her big brother again, she'll stop having an identity crisis about being an Autobot."

Celestia glared at him. "Do not be so condescending, Captain." Shining bit his lip. Celestia sighed. "Your extreme lack of polite manners aside, I understand your desire to want your 'old' sister back. To go back to the way things were before between you two before she went out on that fateful trip into outer space for the first time. I'm afraid, Shining Armor, what you want may not be as easy to fix by simply spending quality time with family. Turning a civilian into a solider is relatively easy… going the other way is not."

Shining Armor raised his hoof to speak. He stopped himself, noticing an Aerialbot and two Vehicons do a fly-by. "Hey, what are those guys doing?"

Celestia raised her head. "They appear to be heading for the Everfree Forest. I do not know what business they have there … but I doubt it's anything desirable. Come, Captain!" Celestia beckoned Shining Armor to follow her as she galloped towards the forest. Tracking them deep into the Forest depths, Princess Celestia and Shining Armor found themselves a the Tree of Harmony's grove.

"What would they want here?" Shining Armor looked around before looking up. The trio of jets tilted downwards and reverted to their robot modes, landing with a thud.

"Ah, Princess Celestia." The Aerialbot greeted, pulling out a trianglar disc. "How are you this fine morning?"

"I'm doing well, thank you, but if you would enlighten me as to what you're doing here, I'd be even better."

"Oh, nothing much." A Vehicon answered, pulling out a jackhammer. "Just taking the Elements of Harmony from this bogus tree."

"WHAT!? No, you can't!"

The Aerialbot pointed at her. "You don't have the authority to tell us what we can and can't do, old lady!"

"Uh ..." Shining Armor said. "Actually, she can, since it's, you know, her planet you're on."

"Oh yeah. Well, we're still taking them!"

"You can't!" Celestia insisted, her eyes going wide. "The Elements of Harmony are the only thing keeping the Plunderseeds under control!"

The Aerialbot pulled out another disc. "We got that covered."

Shining Armor pointed at the disc. "What are those things you have in your hand?"

"These are highly complex machines designed to sift through the immaterial matter to neutralize the telekinetic shifting -"

One of the Vehicon's placed his hand over the Aerialbot's mouth. "In layman's terms, they're anti-magic bombs." The Vehicon pulled out a remote for the bombs and clicked it. The bombs went off, exploding to release a purple force field which spread over the grove. Sparks flew from Celestia's and Shining's horns as their magic was neutralized.

"Now, if the Commander's science holds true, this should make it easy to just pry these things off." The Aerialbot produced a buzzsaw and began cutting around the Element of Magic. Without magical reinforcement, the Tree had little defense to resist the intrusion and yielded the piece of bark with the Element stuck in it. The Aerialbot had no trouble plucking the Element from bark. The other Elements were retrieved in similar fashions.

"Stop!" Celestia pleaded. "The Plunderseeds -"

"Yeah, we've got them covered. Here." The other Vehicon produced a crate and hurled towards them. "Bunch of anti-magic grenades for ya. Just come back and detonate them every so often and it won't be a problem." The trio of jets reverted to aerial mode and rocketed off, the Elements in their possession.

Without her magic, Celestia could do little but watch in horror as the Plunderseeds once again emerged from the root of the Tree of Harmony. To her surprise, though, the anti-magic field worked against the Plunderseeds as well. The forcefield shot bolts of electricity at the Plunderseeds, which somehow petrified them. Celestia expected the Plunderseeds plants to keep growing and burst out from the stone, but the statue held, keeping the malevolent plants contained.

"Huh." Celestia put her hoof on the crate. She pushed it towards Shining Armor. "Captain, make sure we don't lose those. We'll need them to keep the Plunderseeds contained." Celestia gazed skywards. "Where are they taking the Elements of Harmony?"


Light-years away, Galvatron sat on what was once Shockwave's throne. It was his throne now. He had Blackout's blessing, and all the Decepticons knew what a steadfast loyalist Blackout was. If Blackout gave his approval, then the Decepticons followed. After all, Blackout had the priorities to make effective decisions and the Gatling guns to shred apart anyone who disagreed.

Right now, he was at a terminal, punching in buttons and arranging his windows.

"What are you doing, Blackout?"

"Trying to schedule a good time for Barricade's funeral." Blackout answered. "He didn't have a lot of friends, so I want the few he has to all be available to attend it."

"Bah." Galvatron got up from the throne and walked down the carpet. "He was weak."

Blackout turned to Galvatron. "Perhaps you have a point. But still, how can you be so cold? He was my friend."

"I have seen much death in my campaign with Nova Prime." Galvatron walked to the window. "I suppose perhaps I am desensitized to it. Death is as death does, and death does us all in the end."

"Nihilist." Blackout muttered.

"What?"

"Nothing."

Galvatron turned his gaze towards the window, staring out at the massive Changeling Battery. The product of Shockwave's science mixed with Equestrian Changelings, using them as a macabre power source, bringing Cybertron back as a zombified planet. Galvatron had given the order for the Batteries to be dismantled, yet the populace resisted his demands. As far as Galvatron was concerned, a dead Cybertron was better than a zombie Cybertron. Galvatron couldn't wrap his head around the idea others felt different about the situation than he did.

"Why, Blackout?" Galvatron asked. "Why do they resist? Can they not see removing the Changeling poison from Cybertron is for the best? Why do they insist on keeping the organic influence?"

"Eer ..." Blackout muttered. The door to the room opened. A Vehicon and a Net stepped into the room.

"Lord Galvatron." The Vehicon said with a bow. "This Neutral would like to make an appeal to you."

"He may make it, though I doubt it will appeal to me."

"Well …" the Neutral twiddled his fingers. "I run a bar. I made a deal with a human soda company to exchange drinks. It was going to be profitable for both of us – they could sell to Cybertronians, I could sell to organics. And, well ..."

"And?" Galvatron asked.

"Your recent order to terminate all organic contact is bad for our deal. We've already made arrangements with each other for regular shipments. Dropping out of the deal now makes me look bad and causes our investments to be sunk. So, I was wondering, could I convince you to reconsider?"

Galvatron scoffed. "No. My mind is made-up and my orders are clear. Leave me." The Net hung his head and left. Galvatron noticed the Vehicon staying behind.

"What is it?"

"Metalhawk is hosting a rally," the Vehicon said. "He's calling for extreme political reform. I thought it might be of interest to you."

"You thought well. There will be no reform. Come, Blackout." Galvatron raised his cannon-arm and gestured to the door.

Galvatron and Blackout followed the Vehicon into a plaza, where Metalhawk was speechifying from behind a podium.

"Cybertronians, friends, countrymen, tell me!" Metalhawk shouted. "Are you tired of post-war tensions brewing between your neighbors at the dining table? Aren't you sick of having to dodge and weave your way around touchy political topics, never knowing if the fellow next to you might be a Decepticon? Well, are you!?"

"What is this?" Galavtron demanded, intruding onto Metalhawk's stage.

"Aw, Galvatron! Perfect." Metalhawk said. "Your voice would be greatly appreciated on this matter!"

"My voice will drown out your voice and make you deaf."

"What a charmer. Anyways, we just need Optimus Prime here and we'll be set."

"That may prove difficult."

All optics turned to Lazerback as the Predacon made his way onto the stage from the right. "For my friends, I have thought the unthinkable, beaten the unbeatable, and destroyed the indestructible. My friends, I have killed Optimus Prime!" A gasp of shock swept through the crowd. "Without that sympathetic goodie two-shoes casting his shadow over us, we can now make the tough choices!"

"Yes," Metalhawk agreed. "Though loath am I to agree with a murderer – though I suppose the Decepticons have done far worse, and we've given them amnesty. As I was saying, without Optimus Prime driving the Autobot militants, perhaps we can move in the right direction for peace. "

"HOLD ON just a moment!" Blackout shouted, raising his hand. He crossed his arms. "Where's your proof that Optimus Prime is dead?"

Lazerback's lips curled into a smirk. "Why, right here." Lazerback bowed and offered up Optimus Prime's burnt, detached arm.

Blackout approached Lazerback and picked the arm. Blackout swung the arm around, knocked on the arm, and ran his fingers over its hand. "This is Optimus Prime's arm."

Blackout tossed the arm to the ground as though he was dropping litter into a wastebasket. "Doesn't mean anything."

"What?" Lazerback growled. He knew he lacked Optimus' full body, but he had hoped the arm would be enough to convince the populace at large he had done the deed. "Why, whatever do you mean? It's his arm! His whole, entire arm!"

"It's not good enough. I've fought Optimus Prime. I've seen with my optics firsthand how sturdy Optimus Prime is. He's survived ground zero, cave-ins, explosions right next to him, poisoned Energon, and at least one time, survived a direct hit from a weapon of the Thirteen Original Primes. So unless you can produce his entire body and his flickering, snuffed Spark, Lazerback, I don't believe you've killed him."

"I would like to think he's done as he claims." Galvatron said. "Without Optimus Prime around, there would be no one to question my authority."

"Galvatron, why should you get to be in control just because you took over the Decepticons?" Metalhawk asked. "With Optimus Prime and Shockwave MIA, now is the perfect time for political reform!"

"What are you suggesting, Metalhawk?"

"I'm suggesting we should an election! Let the people of Cybertron vote for whom they want in command, for who the people think should be making the tough calls!"

"Cybertron is not a democracy, Metalhawk."

"But we can make it one." Metalhawk turned to the crowd. "What say you, the people? An election?" Metalhawk was met with cheers and applause from a large amount of the crowd.

Galvatron frowned as the majority of the crowd cheered. As much as he wanted to remain in power, a large scale revolt would be far more dangerous to him than a mere election.

"An election it is!" Metalhawk clapped.

Lazerback scratched his chin. "I suppose I'll throw my hat into the ring."

"The more the merrier. May the best mech win."

"Bah," scoffed Heavy Load, who was in the audience with Fractyl. "Ridiculous."

"I don't know, an election sounds like a good deal to me." Fractyl mumbled. Heavy Load raised his cement mixer and bashed Fractyl on the head.

"And that kind of thinking, Fractyl, is why you will always be the lesser student." Heavy Load, disgusted by Fractyl's un-Decepticon attitude, left him and wandered through the crowd to find more like-minded company.

"Psst." Fractyl heard someone behind. "Psst. Fractyl."

"Who, me?" Fractyl saw Magnum standing behind him. "Magnum? What do you want?"

"I want to invite you," Magnum said, offering Fractyl a paper envelope, an especially odd choice for a tech-heavy Cybertronian correspondence. "Some friends of mine are working on a project, and it was suggested to me you might like to join."

Fractyl examined the envelope. He almost took it, before his got suspicious. "What kind of project?"

"The kind where you can make a difference." Magnum put the envelope in Fractyl's claw. "I won't pressure you, but give it some thought."

At the other side of the crowd, Heavy Load was soon to meet a similar offer from a big blue fellow.

"Hey!" Deathsaurus snagged Heavy Load by the shoulder. "Heavy Load, was it? I hear you're a Decepticon of high-quality Decepticon values."

"Um, yeah, I guess." Heavy Load muttered, uncomfortable with Deathsaurus' touching his shoulder. "Why? What do you want?"

"To offer an invitation." Deathsaurus answered with suave charm. He began walking Heavy Load away from the crowd. "I know a few fellows who you just might find to your liking ..."

"Lord Galvatron, sir," passing Deathsaurus but paying him no mind, a Vehicon climbed onto the stage and whispered to his Lord. "We've detected unusual activity in the Sea of Rust. We've discovered individuals setting up devices in an oddly specific pattern."

"The Sea of Rust? Curious. I thought the Sea contained nothing of value. Assemble a task force. I will look into this matter myself."


Traveling airborne to the sandy Sea of Rust, Galvatron and his Vehicon troop traced the energy readings to their source, finding a large group of Vehicons, Vehicon Generals, and Aerialbots surrounding a harmless-looking pedestal, modeled after a crown. Thrusters from space ships were spread across the ground in a network.

"You there!" Galvatron converted modes and landed some distance away from them. "What are you doing?"

A General looked up away from the pedestal at Galvatron. "Hacking Primus' brain module." The General produced the Element of Magic and attempted to insert it into the pedestal. When the Element didn't go into the slot, the Vehicon banged and pounded on it until the Element went in. "Get … in there!" The other Generals did the same thing with the other Elements.

Glowing lines appeared on the pedestal, taking the pattern of ancient runes. Lines colored in the rainbow hue of the Elements of Harmony. The lines reached from the pedestal to the sand, spreading across the ground. The lines formed a circle.

Pillars rose from the ground in a x-shape parallel to the pedestal. The pedestal underwent a transformation, its top splitting into parts and rearranging into a more impressive, decorated form. The pillars around rose up and up, the colored lines spreading on them as well. The massive columns rose and transformed until they are were elaborate, curved arches which dwarfed the puny Transformers below them. A platform emerged from the ground that connected the entire set-up, which the thrusters were placed just so they would catch on the platform.

"Stop them!" Galvatron ordered, opening fire. "I want them caught and interrogated!" A fire fight burst out. As the lasers went back and forth, the arches split at the top and extended, connecting to each in a huge ring. A collection of magic rainbow energy formed inside the ring, rippling like a lake suspended in mid-air.

"Behold!" The Vehicon General cheered. "The Omega Lock! Just as Alpha Trion said."

Galvatron leaped onto the platform and shot the General standing next to the Lock's operating pedestal. He ran across the platform, meaning to attack the Omega Lock's controls and stop it from activating. The Vehicon Generals gathered together and tackled Galvatron, forcing him off the edge of the platform back to the dust.

"Activate the thrusters and the Space Bridge!" A General directed "Quickly, before he gets back up!"

Galvatron got to his feet. He and his troops angled their fire upwards as the platform's thrusters ignited, tearing the Omega Lock and all its accessories from the soil. Once it was airborne, a Space Bridge materialized in the sky above them. The Vehicon/Aerialbot alliance directed the thrusters upwards, sending the Omega Lock through the Space Bridge one piece at a time until it and they were gone.

Galvatron snarled. "I want this "Omega Lock" located and them caught!"

"Lord Galvatron, sir, with the Space Bridge, they could be anywhere in the universe."

Galvatron poked his soldier with the tip of his death-lock pincer. "Then you best get started on the elimination process."


"Ah." Galloway took in a deep breath, riding with his buddies Gould and Attinger in a limo. "I always wanted to be President."

"Dreams do come true," Attinger said.

"I grew up in Wyoming, you know?" Galloway explained. "It'll be a great place to host my speech."

"Absolutely." Gould nodded. "But still, I'm worried about Twilight Sparkle. She threatened to kill me, you know? And you said she checked Operation: Patriotism by name?"

"Relax," Attinger said. "She can't do anything. She can't explain why she knows the name and she has no military behind her. Whereas we have the entire United States of America under our thumb."

The limousine pulled up to Wyoming's town hall, where a crowd had gathered to hear Galloway's explanation of the President's bizarre decision to have Galloway serve as a temporary replacement.

Cameras flashing and reporters asking questions, Galloway climbed up the stairs to the town hall. He noticed a group of U.S Army soldiers standing in attendance with Attinger's men, wearing non-standard octagonal amulets.

"What?" Galloway asked. "I don't remember requesting the Army for security."

"We're here for the love of our country, sir," one of the Army soldiers told him.

"Uh-huh." Attinger nodded, suspicious of them. His men rolled up a television behind Galloway as Galloway adjusted himself on the podium.

"Hello, people of Wyoming." Galloway's voice was amplified by the microphone. ""I realize there is some confusion as to what exactly transpired on the electoral college which led to my being appointed President during this time of crisis. Our country is enacting martial law in order to deal with a great threat to our security. You see, the people we once thought were our friends, our allies, the Autobots … have been planning a secret operation to take control of the planet for themselves." The crowd gasped, murmured, and shouted questions.

"But not to worry!" Galloway raised his finger. "Under my guidance, the United States will deal with this threat to our security. And I am the candidate for the job, as Congress will tell you. Attinger, the video?"

Attinger nodded and flicked the T.V screen on. The screen displayed the house of Congress at a table, one of them with a prepared speech pamphlet.

"And remember, this is live!" Galloway added.

"It is our firm belief ..." The Congressman spoke slowly, as if troubled. "That Theodore Galloway, with his experience as Director of Security, is the first, last, and only choice in dealing with the insidious Autobot threat during this uncertain time. While it appear strange that we have skipped the Presidential line of succession, we felt in this case it was warranted and justified due to Galloway's particular skills and experience. We have every faith and confidence in his ability, and we are prepared to support him every step of the way during this … difficult time."

"So, as you can see, I-" Galloway began.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," a voice dissented from the crowd. Galloway searched through the crowd with fury in his eyes, outraged at the person who had the gall to interrupt him.

The crowd parted, muttering in fear, as a black muscle car with green stripes pulled up.

"Who are you?" Galloway demanded.

The car's hood split into several pieces, with the sides of detached and folded over as the main body of the car twisted around, revealing a Decepticon who was black, green, spiky, and had several plates bolted onto him, like he was covering multiple wounds. His face was a silver, skull-one with tribal paint on him.

"Name's Lockdown." The Decepticon said, his right arm unfolding into a huge hook. "I'm what you call a bounty hunter. Time was, I used to do work for the Deceptions. Say what you will about their ideology, but they paid well. With the war over, though, I've had to expand my ventures. And that's why I'm here." Lockdown turned around, facing the crowd. "I've been paid to inform you that everything Galloway has IS WRONG!" Lockdown's shout scared the crowd, causing it to disperse and attempt to flee. Going to the right road, their path was blocked by a green Corvette, while going to the left, it was blacked by a white helicopter descending.

"Don't mind me, luv," the corvette said, unfolding into an Autobot with a trenchcoat and jeweler's goggles. "Name's Crosshairs! That's my partner, Drift, over there. Don't pay me any mind now, I'll just be here … blocking your way." Crosshairs pulled a Tommy gun and shot out a streetlamp. "And shooting stuff."

Drift transformed, revealing himself to have details of a car and and helicopter in his rising sun-themed robot mode. He pulled out a gold sword. "You will listen to what we have to say."

"Your false President," Lockdown said, gesturing his hook at Galloway, "is feeding you a pack of lies. He's behind a secret mission called "Operation: Patriotism," which seeks to remove any alien influences – such as that of Cybertronians or Equestrians – from Earth. Or, failing that, enslave them. He concocted this headliner story about Optimus Prime planning to attack human towns! Optimus Prime, who risked his life for your country time and time again. In secret, without asking for a damn thing in return, so long as he kept you safe and sound." Lockdown turned back to Galloway with a smirk.

"I have evidence that suggests otherwise!" Galloway told him off, wagging his finger.

"I don’t care, fleshling," Lockdown said. "I'm just paid to relay it from someone who does. I was also paid to deliver this message; the Autobots Imperial hereby formally and officially declare open warfare upon the United States of America."

Galloway was confused. "Autobots Imperial?"

"And of course," Lockdown added, "what's a declaration of war without shots fired?" Lockdown's chest folded open, an apparatus sliding out from it.

"Move." Attinger told Galloway. "Move, move, move!" He grabbed Galloway by the shoulders and ushered him away from the stage. Attinger proved to be right on the money, as Lockdown's apparatus formed into a gun and lifted up onto his face. Lockdown fired his face-mounted cannon, blowing up the podium and the area surrounding it.

On cue, a Space Bridge appeared in the over the Town Hall. Magnum and a troop of Vehicons and Aerialbots, repainted into a cyan and silver color scheme, popped out from the Bridge and descended on the town. A panic ensued in the crowd. Magnum landed on the roof and took aim.

"THIS IS A HOSTILE TAKEOVER!" A Vehicon roared, swinging his weapon around. "YOU KNOW, IN CASE THE FACT WE'RE YELLING IN YOUR FACE AND SWINGING OUR WEAPONS AROUND DIDN'T MAKE THAT OBVIOUS ENOUGH!"

"Humans," Magnum announced, hefting up a huge weapon. "Optimus Prime did not have to fight you. He did not have to ask the soldiers serving under him to bleed and die for you. He did it out of the goodness of his Spark. And this is how you repay him. By framing him and painting him as a villain."

"We gave our services to your defense, protecting you from the Cons!" Crosshairs roared, shooting at streetlamps all the while. "Don't we deserve the same respect and recognition as your U.S Veterans? No, no. Because we're alien, because we're other, we don't get the same treatment. Because we're metal instead of organic, that means we don't count as people. Well, I got news for ya; WE COUNT! And this country, this PLANET OWES US A DEBT! And we intend to collect. SEMPER TYRANNUS! LONG LIVE THE LAST PRIME!"

Somewhere down the road, Applejack and Pinkie Pie, who had stumbled into Wyoming from where Optimus had transported them, were attempting to buy food from a vendor when they heard the familiar sounds of explosions and Decepticon laser fire.

"Say, wut's going on over there?" Applejack wondered, noticing the smoke.

"Oh! Maybe it's a party!" Pinkie suggested. "Maybe they can help us find Twilight and the others?"

"Ah don't know, Pinkie." Applejack squinted. "Tarnation! There's smoke over there! Come on, Pinkie Pie, there might be some innocent folk in there who need our help! What?" Applejack was caught off-guard when a net was thrown over her and Pinkie Pie. "AAAH!" The net buzzed and electrocuted them.

Lockdown chuckled, picking the net up by looking his hook through it.

"Who in the hay are you?" Applejack demanded.

"Name's Lockdown." Lockdown lifted them up, examining his prize. "My employer offered me a substantial sum if I could locate the two of you."


Galloway and Attinger paced in the White House, waiting for their call to be sent through and a response sent back.

Per the instructions of their requests (demand, really), Princess Celestia, Shining Armor, what was recovered of Twilight's friends and Team Prime, plus Smokescreen and Rampage.

"We're here, Galloway." Celestia asked. "What is this emergency?"

"An amount of rogue Autobots and Vehicons attacked Wyoming just as I was attempting to give a speech." Galloway explained.

"Gee, who would interrupt a speech from someone as glorious as you?" Twilight's interjected, her sarcasm showing through. Her tone was balanced enough Galloway didn't catch the snark.

"I know, right? Anyway … I've contacted Galvatron and Metalhawk already. They said they're not working for them. Apparently, they call themselves the Autobots Imperial." Galloway gave Bumblebee a sharp glance.

"Never heard of them." Bumblebee assured him.

"I need you and your team to go to Wyoming and help put a stop to them." Galloway said. "This threat to the nation's safety cannot be allowed to establish a foothold."

Shining Armor saluted. "We won't let you down, sir. We'll quell these riots."

"Really?" Arcee asked. "Shining Armor, no one says "quell" anymore."

"Excellent, excellent. Commence with the quelling! Outstanding! From now, you will be Team Shining Armor. After all, you don't have Optimus Prime with you, so ..."

"Why not "Team Celestia," then?"

Galloway ignored Twilight's question and used a remote to activate a Space Bridge. "Attinger's men will join you there."

Everyone made towards it, but Twilight remained behind.

"Aren't you coming, Twiley?"

"Oh, uh, no." Twilight turned away. "I don't think I'm ready to enter a combat situation again so soon ..."

“Great! I’m glad to see you pacing yourself!”


"Team Shining Armor" as they were newly dubbed, jumped through the Bridge raring to go. Ready to fight for truth, justice, and the American way.

However, it seemed the Autobots Imperial were ready for them, as a line of soldiers was formed from the front entrance into Wyoming, a mix of Vehicons, Aerialbots, Leapers, and even Insecticons, all of whom were painted in that cyan and silver color. Positioned in front of the line was Magnum, with Drift, Lockdown, and Crosshairs behind him.

"Ah." Magnum cocked his gun. "We've been expecting you."

"So I see." Princess Celestia observed. "Magnum, lay down your weapons and stand down, or will we be forced to use lethal force on you and your men."

"Princess Celestia, Optimus Prime grew to be quite close of you. As a centuries-old leader of a nation, you were in a unique position to appreciate his emotional baggage. It would pain to have to shoot you. However, I am a solider, first and foremost. I have my orders. And if following my orders means I have to shoot you at point-blank range, make no mistake. I WILL do so."

Celestia humphed. "Well, after dealing with the likes of Discord and Chrysalis, I find your candidness a refreshing change of pace."

Magnum heaved his gun as Lockdown produced his face-mounted cannon. "Princess Celestia …" Magnum revealed his possession of a face-mask, just like the ones Bumblebee and Optimus had. "Prepared to be annexed."

The Autobots Imperial opened fire. And what a fire it was. Within minutes, Team Prime-ni-Shining Armor found themselves scrambling and scattering all over the battlefield to avoid being caught by a laser blast, bullet slug, or explosive ammunition. Explosions and smoke covered the ground, preventing any of the Autobots or Ponies from getting a clear shot.

Shining Armor felt relieved when the explosions began to let up. Relief turned to terror as he realized the Imperials weren't trying to be sporting and "give them a head start" but to avoid shooting their own comrades as the Leapers and Insecticons lived up to the name of the former, surrounding each member of the Team on all sides with brutes.

Shining Armor's reaction was to cast up a forcefield. Bumblebee ducked and tumbled between their legs. A successful gambit, as it caused a Leaper's battering ram to get lodged in his Insecticon ally's fist. Bulkhead, heavy hitter he was, took to simply busting out his weapons and pounding his opponents in the face. Fluttershy did what she did best and collapsed into a fetal position. It was okay, as Rampage had her covered, batting the opponents aside with his shoulder-mounted claws.

Celestia fired a concentrated beam from her horn at Magnum. Magnum deployed his switchblade and raised to block the spell. Magnum's sword survived the Princess' powerful magic, but turned red with heat. It was unlikely it would hold out for a second blast.

Magnum didn't intend to test. "Send in the big guns."

Celestia froze up at the sound of avian screech with a metallic echo. She looked up to see an avian Predacon soaring through the air. A figure jumped off the side of the Predacon and landed in front of her – Grimlock, his paintwork changed to gold and shiny cobalt to match the Imperials.

"Oh, come on!" Rainbow Dash complained, dodging another of Lockdown's shells. "They got GRIMLOCK, too!?"

"Grimlock." Princess Celestia greeted.

"Princess." Grimlock replied.

"Why are you helping the Imperials? Lay down your weapons and do what's right."

"I AM doing what's right. Pity you can't see you're doing what's wrong, being a sycophant to Galloway like that."

"Grimlock, I do not wish to fight you."

"Too bad."

Grimlock drew his sword and shield. Princess Celestia fired another heat ray at him. Grimlock used his shield to block it. His shield put up with it much better than Magnum's sword did, withstanding the brunt of the attack. Grimlock grunted and dashed at Celestia, swinging his shield with the intent to bash her.

Bumblebee aimed his blasters at Grimlock, hoping to give Celestia aid. Grimlock was a tough customer and not to be taken lightly. The Predacon had a keen sense of priority, and spat a breath of flame which prevented Bumblebee from aiming.

"Hey!" Smokescreen fired his blasters the Predacon. "Get down here and fight on the ground!"

The Predacon let out a screech and divebombed Smokescreen, taking up his challenge. It wasn't much of a challenge. The Predacon dug his front claws into Smokescreen's chest, shredding it, before tossing Smokescreen away. The others were similar success with their opponents.

Arcee side-stepped from left and right, avoiding Drift's swords. She grabbed one by the blade and took it from his hand. "Ha!" Arcee pointed the sword at him.

Drift smirked. He reached over his back and pulled out another sword, this one silver.

"What?" Arcee sighed. "How many swords do you have?"

Drift smiled. Vestigial arms folded out from his chest and pulled out short swords from his hips. "A lot."

"Come on!" Grimlock shouted, taking a swing at Celestia with his sword. "After all that talk I heard about how you were the most powerful unicorn on Equestria, I was expecting this to be a fight, not a ballet recital!" Grimlock slashed through the air, again missing Celestia. "Fight me!" An orange glow appeared around Grimlock's body. "Isn't there ANY ONE of you who would make a DECENT opponent!?"

Rampage lifted the Leaper he was dealing with and tossed him over his shoulder. "I believe I may be up to the challenge." Rampage walked towards Grimlock.

"Finally." Grimlock expressed, liking what he saw in Rampage. "A real opponent."

"Hahaha, yes. I do hope my performance will be … satisfactory for you."

Grimlock raised his hands over his head and roared. Stabbing his sword into the ground, Grimlock converted to his T. Rex mode. He lunged at Rampage, who grabbed Grimlock's jaw by the sides and twisted it to keep Grimlock from biting him.

Celestia observed the fight between the two of them and thought she was in the clear. It took getting in the back from a metal projectile to make her realize that was wrong. Blasting the intruder off her back, Celestia was made speechless by what she saw – a Vehicon, but in the size and shape of a pony. A Vehicon who had been turned into a pony.

"What are you?" Celestia spat out.

The Pony/Vehicon rubbed its head. It had a horn, and whether or not it had wings was made redundant by the presence of a jetpack. "Evolution," it answered in a processed, synthesized voice. "You can call me the Imperial Commander, Your Majesty. Magnum attacked Wyoming on my orders."

"Imperial Commander, I urge you to call off your takeover of this human town! The humans have done nothing to you! They're innocent!"

"So blind." The Commander mocked her. "First you sign Galloway's bill. Now you do his bidding. Something you don't realize, Princess, is that the humans are not innocent. Not anymore. Not after framing Optimus Prime."

"What proof do you have Optimus Prime is not guilty of the charges Galloway has put on him?"

"Let’s start with the number one, the fact that for a long time, he didn’t have the resources to pull off that large scale an operation, oh, and, uh, number two, HE’S OPTIMUS PRIME. He could not possibly have been planning that. It’s not in his personality, and he lacked motive, and didn’t execute these things it’s claimed he was planning despite having multiple opportunities on several occasions to do so! And three, the total lack of evidence beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt other than Galloway’s hearsay!"

Celestia paused. She didn’t want to admit the Imperials had an incredibly strong point, even though they did, because that would mean acknowledging their actions as legitimately motivated, and she can’t imagine Galloway would have approved of that, and she wanted to keep the peace with him if possible.

"The Autobots Imperial seek to bring about revolution, Princess." The Commander informed her. "We seek to prove the opposite of Galloway's rhetoric – that humans, Autobots, Equestrians, and Decepticons CAN work together in peace and harmony without any … needless restrictions placed on them. What you see before is a physical idea of that belief – an Equestrian and Cybertronian, blended into one on a physical and ideologically level."

"That's terrifying. You're only a few steps removed from becoming a soulless cyborg."

"It's progress. And besides, the Cybertronians are completely mechanical, and they have souls. In fact, their physical Sparks are more proof of them having souls than either you or I or any human does!"

"Still. It's unnatural."

"It's evolution. Get with the program, Princess. The world is changing, and when the world changes, you either adapt … or get deleted out."

Princess Celestia fired a blast the Commander, who was ready for her. The Commander created a barrier from her horn, blocking Celestia's blast before responding with one of her own, her magic exploding against Celestia and hurling the Princess away, surrounded by green fire.

"Green fire?" Celestia wondered. "A Changeling?" She got up and charged at the Commander.

Grimlock and Rampage continued their struggle, to both their delights. The Leapers were unable to dent his plating, Rampage found them unworthy opponents, and Grimlock felt the same way about Celestia and her defensive fighting. With his jaws still held by Rampage, Grimlock attempted to use it to his advantage and spew his flame breath in Rampage's face. Rampage grabbed Grimlock by his sides and hurled up into the air, where the mighty dinosaur flailed about until he could aim at Rampage and take another shot of flame breath at him. The flame breath did little to Rampage, who didn't even flinch when Grimlock's bulk reunited with the ground. Grimlock roared and turned around, smashing his tail into Rampage's chest and throwing him back. Rampage dug his feet into the ground and converted to his beast mode, attempting to grab Grimlock's neck with his claw.

Magnum watched the two beasts fight and decided it was time for the really, really big guns.

"I didn't want to have to do this, Princess Celestia, but you leave me no choice." Magnum activated his comm. "Away Team, fire the Omega Lock 200 yards from my position."

Horns locked with the Commander, Magnum's order caught Celestia's attention. "Omega Lock?"

A Space Bridge opened up above them.

Shining Armor looked up. "Oh, I get it. Omega Lock is like, some huge powerful Autobot?"

"No, no." Smokescreen said. "That's Omega Supreme."

The Bridge emitted a high-pitched whine. It spat out a blue beam that hit the ground. Team Shining Armor watched in awe as the ground before them changed from Earthen soil to Cybertronian alloys. The beam moved, sweeping across the ground left to right, like the paintbrush of an unseen divine being. A pillar rose from the ground, raising up and transforming into a satellite tower.

The Team was shocked. There was a Cybertronian building standing in front of them! It would have taken weeks, if not months, to build that same structure on Cybertron with Cybertronian materials … yet, they had just watched it be constructed in less than seconds on Earth soil, with nothing more than a fancy beam.

The tower's side split open and reformed, turning into a huge laser cannon. Bumblebee didn't have to be told twice the cannon was charging up to fire.

"Autobots, fall back!" Arcee ordered.

"What?" Shining Armor protested. "No, Arcee, you can't!"

"Shining Armor," Arcee spat back at him. "Yes, I can. We're outgunned and outnumbered at a ratio of fourteen-to-Grimlock, and trust me, 'to Grimlock' is not a favorable ratio to anybody, especially not anybody on our team. A Predacon is patrolling the skies raining fire on us and now… now the other team has the means to create buildings from thin air. What's to keep them from just making a huge fortress and dropping it on us? You can stay here and fight the good fight if you want, Shining Armor, but I'm not letting my team get killed just because I can't shelve my pride. Autobots, we're out of here!"

Shining Armor looked to Rarity.

"I'm sorry, darling. Arcee is right." Rarity trotted and hopped into Bulkhead's seat as the Autobot drove away with Bumblebee into a Bridge.

Shining Armor watched as his comrades left him, then turned back to his foes to see Crosshairs and Vehicons looking down at him.

"Now, you have three options here." Crosshairs waved his gun. "You can either, A) be smart like your friends and run away. B) Surrender and be our prisoner, or C) be an idiot and keeping fighting. Now, I won't begrudge you whatever choice you make, but I'd strongly discourage choosing C."

Shining Armor gave him a glare before turning and galloping towards the Bridge.

Crosshairs smirked. "Good choice, Captain."


The Team dashed back into Galloway's office through the Bridge.

"Well?" Galloway asked. "What happened?"

"What happened was that we nearly got slagged!" Bulkhead announced. "They were ready for us – they had Vehicons, Insecticons, Predacons, Leapers of their own – everything!"

"And don't forget the one pony who was like a unicorn Vehicon thingie!" Pinkie Pie added.

"And they have this Omega Lock which can build Cybertronian buildings out of thin air!" Rarity added.

"That's the worst part." Cadence added. "There's nothing to stop them from firing that thing again and sweeping it all over Earth until it's nothing but a poor man's second Cybertron."

"Considering the quality of that building, I don't think it'd be poor." Bulkhead said. "I mean, did you see that groundwork? And the way panels aligned? Gorgeous." Bulkhead was met with skeptical glares. "Uh, sorry. Got caught up in the, uh, mastery of the construction..."

"And what about those reinforcements?" Rainbow Dash said. "You said Attinger's men would be with us. Where's Attinger, Galloway?"

"Ma'am, I believe we can answer that."

The girls were surprised to see a number of U.S Army soldiers walk into the room. The same soldiers who were distinctly not invited to Galloway's speech.

"We intercepted Attinger's men and kept them from being able to use the Bridge to get there," the soldier said.

"Why would you do that?" Dash demanded.

"For the country I love," the soldier replied. "I believe Optimus Prime is innocent. I believe the Autobots Imperial's rhetoric. I signed up in the army to defend my country and its ideals, ma'am. Ideals it hasn't been living up to. I believe in the land of the free, and all these regulations, these Peacetime Cooperation" bills … that's not letting the aliens be free. What happened to the America I love, where settlers and refugees were welcome with open arms? I can't speak for these guys with me, so that's why I joined the Imperials, ma'am. For a free America."

"Joined ... the Imperials?" Celestia asked. Her eyes shrunk as she realized they were in danger.

"Semper Tyrannus," the soldiers raised their hands and struck the silver amulets on their chests. The amulets unfold and furled, spreading around the soldiers' bodies and encasing them in a suit of armor which resembled a Vehicon – just like the Imperial Commander. "Prepare for annexation!" The soldiers pulled out firearms and attempted to gun down everyone in the room. Galloway ducked behind his desk while Bulkhead and Smokescreen used their bodies to protect the ponies.

Celestia rose in the air and cast a sweeping beam across the room, incinerating the armor of the soldiers and knocking them to the ground.
"Well," a soldier said, pulling out a remote. "That could have gone better." He clicked the remote, summoning a Bridge. He and his fellows made their escaped through it, aided by rocket boots. The Bridge closed before Celestia or anyone else could follow them through.

"Is it safe? Are they gone?" Galloway squeaked.

"Yes, Mister President. It's safe." Celestia told him. "However, these Autobots Imperial may be even more dangerous than we realized, if they have the connections and the selling power to infiltrate the United States Army … where else might they have infiltrated?"

"I'll send out an alert to all our major military forces," Galloway said. "The Autobots Imperial are now a national-level threat who may have infiltrated their branches, and citizens will be advised to be forthcoming with any information they might have."


One nightfall later, Shockwave, wounded ex-Lord of the Decepticons, was stumbling his way through the Mexican Border with the Combaticons, the only Decepticons who remained loyal to him after Galvatron's coup. The Combaticons and him sneaked their way to a Bridge terminal and transported to Earth.

"Shockwave, how much longer than we have to keep trudging?" Vortex whined. "I'm getting tired of sand in my heel struts."

"Patience, Vortex." Shockwave told him. "We will make our way to Mexico. We will find arms dealers willing to work us with there."

"Oh, yeah." Vortex replied. "Because that worked out so well for the Forged and COBRA. Except for that part where the Autobots came storming down on them."

"We will worry about the Autobots after we have resources." Shockwave said. He looked overhead at the roar of jet engines overhead. "Hmm. Human fighter jets."

Vortex looked up. "This late at night?" Vortex primed his weapon. "Doesn't seem right to me."

"Hold your fire, Vortex. It's unlikely they're here for us." Onslaught reprimanded him.

"Attention, Deceptions!" The fighter jet's announced. "The United States Air Force demand your immediate surrender! Come nicely, and maybe we can make a deal."

"Well, so much for that. Let's get 'em, Blast Off!" Vortex and Blast Off converted to vehicle mode and flew up to engage their enemy.

"Swindle, Brawl, assume anti-aircraft positions!" Onslaught ordered. He and Brawl dropped to the ground, assuming vehicle mode. Brawl's vehicle mode adjusted into something more of a turret than a tank and took aim at the jets.

"Hope you like hot plasma!" Brawl wished as he fired flaming orbs from his cannons. The jets' pilots were just nifty enough to swerve away and avoid being hit by them.

"Ease off there, Brawl. Aerial combat should be left to the aerial Combaticons!" Blast Off taunted, launching a payload of missiles at the jets. The missiles exploded without hitting their target, producing a side-effect of masking them.

"Nice one, Blast Off. Now we can't see them." Vortex taunted. "Let me show you how a pro does it." Vortex dropped a weapon from his canopy, which fired an electric spark into the smoke and exploded.

"Did it hit them?" Blast Off inquired.

"I don't know … I can't -AH!" Vortex yelped as he and Blast Off were pelleted with gunfire from above. "They're above us!" Vortex angled himself upwards, firing another spark at the jets. The jets pulled away and the spark once again missed. Before the Air Force jets could return fire, lasers came from the right and pelleted them.

"Hey! What the?"

Flying onto the scene came two Imperial-colored Vehicons, the Imperial Commander, and another Pony-Vehicon who shared the Commander's design.

"Attention, United States Air Force. The Autobots Imperial charge you with the unprovoked assault of a combatant and being scumbag humans. "

"We didn't do anything!"

"That's what they all say. Imperials, annex them." The Vehicons split apart and flanked the jets on both sides, shooting their weapons from both directions.

"We're not going to be stopped by Autobot … cultists!" One of the jet's pilots announced.

"Call us what you like, you're still a scumbag human." The Commander and her aide charged up their horns and let loose a spell on the jets.
Their spell breach the jet's hull and caused it explode, sending the aircraft tumbling down to earth.

"NO!" the other pilot cried out.

"Intercept that floating wreck and extract the pilot." The Commander's aide ordered the Vehicons. "I want him taken prisoner." A Vehicon reverted to autonomous mode and jumped onto the falling plane. He plunged his claw into the cockpit and removed the pilot.

"I won't let you get away with this!" the unharmed pilot shouted. He fired off a widespread payload of missiles. The Commander and aide dodged them, but Blast Off and Vortex were not so lucky, getting pounded by the rockets to the point of becoming nonfunctional.

"Vortex! Blast Off!" Onslaught cried as Vortex and Blast Off crashed into the ground.

"It would be stupid to try to take out all of you," the still-airborne Air Force stated. "But make no mistake, I will avenge my partner!" The Air Force jet turned and flew off into the night. The Commander hailed her Imperial soldiers not to bother pursuing.

"Time to get what we really came here for," the Commander instructed. He and the other Imperials descended, landing in front of the Combaticons and Shockwave. Onslaught was cradling Vortex's crashed body.

"Combaticons, Shockwave," the Commander said. "I am here to invite you to serve under the banner of the Autobots Imperial. We are a post-Great War group seeking to punish those behind Operation: Patriotism and show the universe at large that peace and cooperation between Equestrians, Earthlings, and Cybertronians is possible. Will you join us?"

"Why would you seek us?" Shockwave asked.

"You're an accomplished scientist, Shockwave. Not to mention, the Combaticons and by extension, Bruticus, on our side would be a great addition. What do you say?"

"No." Shockwave answered. "I will not answer to an organic."

Onslaught glared at him. "But Shockwave, Vortex … Blast Off ..."

"I can repair them. I need only resources."

"We can give you the resources," the Commander told them. "We can give you medics! Anything you need, just name your price."

Shockwave crossed his arms. "My goal is create a Decepticon Cybertron. I do not see how joining you will accomplish that goal. Come along, Onslaught. You can carry Vortex until we reach Mexico."

"Look at their damage. They won't survive to reach Mexico," the Commander warned.

Onslaught looked at Shockwave, then to the Commander. "You said you have a medic?"

"Multiple, actually."

"Full repairs?"

"Yes."

"Onslaught..." Shockwave said, grabbing Onslaught's shoulder. Onslaught got up and belted Shockwave across the face.

"Damn it, Shockwave, my men are DYING! And I won't let them bleed out in the desert just because YOU couldn't shelve your pride to work with an organic!"

"So that's a yes, then?" the Commander rubbed her hooves.

"Yes. IF you provide repairs." Onslaught lifted Vortex up while Brawl and Swindle lifted Blast Off.

A Bridge opened behind the Imperials. "We'll make sure they get top priority." The Commander and her troops, now joined by the Combaticons, walked into the Bridge.

Shockwave was left alone under the starry sky, the crashed Air Force jet is his only company. Shockwave blinked, staring at the stars. He saw an object fly over the sky and descend to approach him. Closer observation revealed the object as Starscream, who transformed and landed next to Shockwave.

"Starscream."

"Shockwave."

"Would I be correct to hypothesis, while I am weakened and without the protection of Megatron's favor, you will take this opportunity to exercise your grudge on me and take my life?"

"Ordinarily, you would." Starscream answered, raising his lethal talons. "However, I'm trying to be more of a team player than I used to be and Soundwave thinks you would be useful. That is, if you're willing after that spat with Onslaught." Starscream offered Shockwave his hand.

Shockwave pushed himself and examined Starscream's claw. Starscream's neutral expression indicating it wasn't a trick, Shockwave took the helping hand.


The next morning, Shining Armor reported into Attinger's office, even though he wasn't an official part of the United States' command. The Imperials were blindsiding them at every turn, so Shining felt compelled to lend a hoof.

Shining Armor noticed a brown-haired, buff human sitting a chair in front of an Attinger.

"So, yeah. I may have lost my partner, but I took out those inhumans." The boy bragged. He noticed Shining Armor in the doorway. "Oh, um, I was talking about the Decepticons! I'm totally cool with Ponies, honest!"

"Okay ..." Shining Armor said, taking a seat. "If you say so. What's going on?"

"General Buster Witwicky here was just telling me how he took out a major threat to our security by executing the Decepticons known as Vortex and Blast Off." Attinger explained. "However ..." Attinger pushed a button on his desk. A television appeared in the wall, showing a broadcast of Bruticus looming over a building in a city.

"In the name of the Autobots Imperial, I claim this city!" Bruticus announced, smashing his fist into a building. "The Town Council is instructed to cooperate or be imprisoned!"

Buster's face made a round little 'o.'

"What was that you were saying?" Attinger asked him. "Something about neutralizing the Bruticus threat?"

"Oh, well, I, uh..."

Attinger slammed his hands on the desk. "I am not interested in hearing your excuses! These Imperials are a growing threat to the country, my country, and I want them contained! So you, work with this pony, put your heads together, and FIGURE SOMETHING OUT! Dismissed."

Buster and Shining Armor nodded, getting up from their seats and leaving.

"So..." Buster said. "I heard you tried to talk Princess Celestia in trying to cut ties with Optimus and the Autobots. I mean, not that I'm judging you. But what's up with that?"

Shining Armor sighed. He stopped to look out the window. "My life was a lot easier before Cybertronians came into the picture. I mean, I was happy, I had a beautiful wife and wonderful sister, and now … now I'm an undead, trying to fight terrorists with a bunch of two-legged humans. It's just … upsetting and I wish I could go back to before … when Cybertronians weren't involved."

"Yeah." Buster said, patting Shining on the back. "I hear you, man, loud and clear. So, what are we gonna do about the Autobots Imperial?"

"Hmm." Shining Armor noticed Agent Fowler marching towards Attinger's office. "Hey, Fowler! What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to see Attinger." Fowler stomped past them. "I got a call this morning saying Adam DeCobray was found dead in his cell, and I suspect Attinger knows something about that." Fowler pushed the door open. Shining Armor and Witwicky continued on their way.

Shining Armor and Witwicky went into another government office, calling in the rest of the team to plan their next move.

"So, what's the plan?" Arcee asked, arms crossed. She was skeptical they could contain the Imperials after the show of force at Wyoming.

"Actually, General Witwicky and I thought about that on our way over here." Shining Armor said. "We know we can't beat them with force or weapons, so we turn to the one thing that works when weapons don't."

"Getting down on our knees, waving white flags, offering to surrender in exchange for mercy?" Smokescreen suggested.

"What? No! I'm talking about espionage!" Shining explained. "We're going to have one of you pretend to join the Imperials while secretly feeding intelligence to us. That way, we'll know where they plan to strike next and how to beat it."

"Mm. I don't know." Arcee said. "Just one spy? What happens if they get caught?"

"Well, obviously, that would be bad." Witwicky said. "But having all of you have a change of heart at once would be a bit conspicuous."

"We've seen how good their rhetoric is." Bumblebee said. "They manage to convince a Dinobot, a Predacon, and a lot of Vehicons and Aerialbots alike to join them. How do we make sure our agent isn't brainwashed by their propaganda, like a cultist?"

"Easy." Witwicky said. "We send someone strong, loyal, who would never abandon his cause ..."

Bumblebee snapped his fingers. "I think I know just the person for the job."

Everyone turning to her, Rainbow Dash couldn't help but ask. "Why are you all looking at me all of a sudden?"


Transported to a barren field in Jasper, a scant few miles from the Omega One's ruins, Rainbow Dash was set out alone in the world. It was a carefully chosen location. Being alone would sell the idea she no longer wanted to serve Galloway, while being so near the former Autobot base would suggest she was sentimental and letting that settlement affect her choices.

Rainbow Dash held up a Cybertronian cell phone, much like the one Dreadwing used to use. Her equipment had grown to resemble his since his death. She held it up and sent out a green beam, the signal containing her message – the message she wanted to join the Imperials. Now all she had to do was wait to see if they took the bait.

They did. A Bridge opened, with an Imperial Leaper stepping out. "Rainbow Dash?"

"That's me!"

“Very well,” the Leaper produced a small machine, a tiny box with wires and cathodes coming out of it, mounted with what appeared to be a desk lamp.

“Uh… what is that?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“It’s an intent reader. It scans your mind and reads your mind for your intent. It’s adopted from the technology they used in the construction of Fortress Maximus, but on a smaller scale. It’s still a new model, and we’re still working out of some of the kinks, but unlike most Decepticon projects that are still being field-tested, it probably won’t explode and kill you.”

“Wait, what?” Dash asked.

“Hold still, now…”

The Leaper activated the device, and a green beam emitted from the lamp and swept across Rainbow Dash’s forehead. Dash grit her teeth. She wasn’t sure how powerful Fortress Maximus was, or how powerful something reverse-engineered from him could be, so for all she knew, this machine could either predict exactly what she was thinking, or was a piece of junk not worth the box it came in.

She bit her tongue, trying to keep her thoughts hidden and her desires secret. It occurred to Rainbow Dash this machine was probably a gross invasion of privacy, but the Imperials wouldn’t be bothered by that, so long as the machine fulfilled its purpose and kept them from letting any would-be spies into their base.

“And…” the device beeped. The Leaper read the results, Dash having a cold sweat about whether she was about to be found out. This was probably their one chance to get close to the Imperials, and if she blew it...

“You’re clean,” the Leaper said, looking at Rainbow Dash with what she might charitably call a smile, given its lack of a defined mouth. “Come along, new recruit!”

The Bridge reopened.

“Whew,” Dash sighed under her breath. Either she was much better at mental discipline than Applejack gave her credit for, and this machine couldn’t do what it was designed for and wasn’t worth a darn, but either way, she was glad to have made it in.

“If you will follow me..." The Leaper gestured to the Bridge.

Dash nodded. "Sure, no problem." She trotted after the Leaper into the Bridge. What she found on the other side made her gasp.

There was a whole Cybertronian fortress, wide enough to be a city. A huge, spiked wall made from black metals surrounded the whole thing, protecting it from attack, with artillery stations to be manned for defense lined across the top of the wall. If the wall wasn't enough, they were the four huge towers, each with gigantic cannons pointed in four directions, with a number of smaller, dual-barreled rotating turrets built lower on each tower’s side. Each and every building reached the sky, ending in different polygonal shapes – some were spires, some resembled clock towers, others even looked like places of worship. It's construction resembled Decepticon architecture.

The Leaper advanced towards the front gate, not noticing Rainbow Dash was too awestruck to move. "Here with delivery of a new recruit. Please lower the shields."

A panel of the gate transformed, shooting out a green beam onto the Leaper.

"Identify verified. Deactivating shields."

Rainbow Dash was alarmed and impressed by the shields. First, there was a Cybertronian force field, made of energy and blue with a hexagon grid pattern. It was invisible, but briefly shimmered to show its deactivation. Behind it was another forcefield made of Equestrian magic – purple and sparkly, just like Shining Armor's spells. It too shimmered as it was disabled, allowing the Leaper and Dash safe passage. The exact moment they were safely within its range, both shields flashed, becoming active again.

"Wow." Rainbow Dash remarked. "You guys sure take security seriously in this place, don't you?"

The Leaper shrugged. "It's a precaution." The gate in front of them opened, opening down the middle and retracting sideways. Dash and her escort walked in.

"Welcome to the Rainbow Principality." The Leaper said. "A place that combines the best sensibilities of Cybertron, Earth, and Equestria – or so's the idea."

Looking around, Rainbow Dash saw the truth in his words – there were rows of statues, each of an important person in the history of each planet. There were fountains sculpted in both Equestrian and Earthling standards of beauty. She even saw patches of grass with human and pony children playing together. How did they manage grass in an Cybertronian landscape?

"Hey … why are there kids here? Isn't this supposed to be a super secret base or something?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"This way, please." The Leaper instructed her. He led her to a decorated and polished building deep in the city's core, almost its exact center. It was huge! It had a tower at the top and military hangars at its sides. At the entrance, which contained stairs and columns, there was a stained glass painting of Princess Celestia and what Rainbow Dash presumed to be a depiction of the Cybertronian god, Primus, who she heard about but had never seen. In front of the entrance was a statue that kept the same rhetoric – a stylized vision of Optimus Prime riding an up-scaled Princess Celestia, holding aloft a huge sword.

Dash noticed an inscription on the statue's base.

Long Live the Last Prime: His dream was a universe at peace with each other, with the creatures of the cosmos working together in harmony. It's up to us to make the dream a reality.

Rainbow Dash whistled. "Deep stuff, man."

"Mm, yes. If you could go into the building, please? The Imperial Commander will see you and evaluate you."

The Leaper walked Rainbow Dash into the building. It was just as big inside as it was outside. It was painted in brown and beige dull colors, just like Omega-One's interior before its destruction. Bridges and doors were everywhere. Everywhere Rainbow Dash turned, she saw humans, Equestrians, and Vehicons working together, whether it was applying paint, putting up posters, or moving supplies from one room to the next. Some of them got tense with their partners, but calmed down and apologized.

"Up that bridge and down the hall. Keep going until you reach the second-last office." The Leaper pointed.

"Why?" Rainbow Dash asked. "What's in the last office?"

"The Equestrian War Princess." The Leaper answered, causing Rainbow Dash to do a double-take. "She doesn't like being disturbed."

"War Princess?" Rainbow Dash laughed. "Look, pal, I hate to break it to you, but there is no Equestrian War Princess!"

The Leaper eyed her. "Is that so? Hey guys! Show of hands – who believes in the Equestrian War Princess?"

Everyone in the room who could raise their hands and hooves and chanted in unison. "ALL HAIL THE WAR PRINCESS!" And the ones who didn't, only didn't because their hands were full.

"Convinced?" The Leaper asked smugly. "Please make your way to the Commander's office. You're on your own from here on out." The Leaper jumped and rocketed to another part of the room, blending into the crowd where Dash couldn't see him.

Dash sighed. She was a stranger in an even stranger land, where Vehicons and humans worked together. She could still do this. She flew up to the directed bridge and began her walk down it. She bumped into the leg of a passing Cybertronian.

"Ow! Hey! Watch where you're going!" Rainbow Dash complained at him before seeing the Starscream-esque Decepticon before her. "Hey, I know you! You're that… that Decepticon who completely fails at being a Decepticon. What was it, uh, Frack? Fracker? Fractyl!"

Fractyl frowned her. "That's Air Commander Fractyl to you!" He pointed at the Decepticon logo on his chest, which now had wings, just like the Seeker insignia Dreadwing wore.

"Huh." Rainbow Dash walked past him. The next thing she noticed surprised her even more. Down and to the right of a few bridges from here was Agent Fowler with the Army soliders who attacked them in the White House.

"Agent Fowler?" Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

"Huh?" Fowler looked over his shoulder. "Oh. Hey, Rainbow Dash."

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be out defending your country?"

"I am defending my country." Fowler growled at her. "Galloway tells the truth the way my star-spangled spanners make me look like a model. Prime would never do anything like what he's saying, and he's giving Attinger too much free reign. We're supposed to catch the bad guys, but after we give them due process!"

"What are you doing with those soldier guys?"

"Old Army buddies!" Fowler answered in a much happier tone. "When the Commander called me and ask if there was anything I'd be willing to do to help, I call them up and offered them a chance to help their country."

"Uh-huh." Rainbow Dash took her attention off them and went further down the bridge. She was assaulted by a pony who tackled her to the ground.

"Rainbow Dash!" Pinkie Pie was right up in her face, as usual. "I'm so happy to see you!"

"Wha – Pinkie Pie?" Pushing Pinkie Pie off her and righting herself, Rainbow Dash was every bit as surprised to see Applejack. "Applejack?"

"Good to see ya made it, R.D." Applejack said. "When the Commander told us you fought us at Wyoming, we were a mite bit worried. But now that you're here, it's just a matter of time before the others start coming to their senses!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Rainbow Dash said. "What is going on here?"

"Y'all don't know?" Applejack asked. "We're trying to fight Galloway and his Peace-time Cooperation Bills! I still can't believe Princess Celestia signed them... and I still can't believe as many people as they did bought it. How did he do it?""

"The Princess had a good reason for that!" Dash shouted, defending her regimen. "She didn't want Equestria caught up in a war!"

"Maybe so. Maybe that is a good reason," Applejack looked away, "But Galloway-"

"Is a big jerkwad meanie-face!" Pinkie interrupted.

"Exactly." Applejack said as she and Pinkie walked by Rainbow Dash. "Couldn't have said better myself."

Rainbow Dash decided she better hurry to the Commander. Perhaps he could explain why Applejack would turn against Celestia.

Hurrying down the hall, Rainbow Dash found the end, which ended with a large ornate door, and a slightly-less-ornate door next to it.

"Hmm." Rainbow Dash, daredevil she was, was tempted by the prospect of intruding on this mythical War Princess. The Commander stepped out of her room, knocking Dash back to reality and keeping her from that idea.

"You're the new recruit, right?" The Commander asked her.

"Yeah." Rainbow answered. "I am."

"Excellent. You'll need to be read the orientation packet."

"Oh, joy." Dash rolled her eyes.

The Commander cleared his throat. "We are the Autobots Imperial. We are an organization seeking to demonstrate and prove that alien species can co-inhabit the same space without needless restrictions – and in doing so, destroy the rhetoric of Usurper President Theodore Galloway and his Martial America in the process. Galloway does not seek to protect America from aliens. He seeks to serve himself – the state of martial law will last however long it needs to keep Galloway comfortable in control for the rest of his lifetime unless something is done about it- something like US. Any questions?"

"Yeah, only about a THOUSAND!"

"Shoot."

"Okay. For starters, who are you? Where did you come from? How did you get this idea for these crazy Imperial guys?"

"First," The Commander's Vehicon mask split open, unfolding as though it was a live Cybertronian. Under the mask was Susan, whose voice lost its synthetic processing with the mask. "Second, from the alternate Equestria, but I bet you already knew that. Third, it wasn't my idea. You have 997 more questions left."

Rainbow Dash blinked in shock. The Commander was Susan all along? "Okay … why are there children playing in the streets? Isn't that kinda opposite to the whole terrorists-rebel-freedom fighter thing?"

"Maybe, but it does prove the "aliens living together in harmony" thing." Susan smirked. "You have 996 questions left."

Rainbow Dash sighed. Resigning herself to the crazy going on around her, she put her hoof over her face. "I was told to go to you for evaluation?"

"Ah, yes! Evaluation. Where I evaluate what your talents are and what division you go in. However … I don't think I need to evaluate you. It's obvious you go into the Seeker division. You'll be serving under Fractyl. Anything else?"

"Yeah, okay." Dash nodded. Being put into a position where she was subordinate to a spineless wimp like Fractyl didn't sit right with Rainbow Dash, but she clung to the reminder she wasn't signing up for real – she was a spy.

"If you're still confused – and something tells me you are – the War Princess is holding a speech later tonight. Attendance is preferred, but not mandatory." Susan said. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have some business to attend to."

"Wait!" Dash said. "Who's the War Princess?"

Susan chuckled. "You'll find out if you stay for the speech!" Susan closed her door.

Well, then. Looked to Rainbow Dash as though she was going to a speech. A boring, long, frustrating speech where she'd be forced to sit still for hours. The thought made her groan.

An hour or two later, Rainbow Dash was joining the crowd in the auditorium of the building. She was impressed at the amount of attendees in the audience – Decepticons, Autobots, humans from organization like the Army and the Marines, including Fowler.

There was a grand bridge, suspended above the crowd. It had a platform on it for speaking and doors from either side.

Rainbow Dash found a spot she was comfortable in and sat there. The crowd murmured and muttered, some of them exchanging rumors about the speech, others mingling. Magnum appeared on the bridge and gave the order to hush.

Checking to ensure silence was in the room, Magnum signaled the doorway. Out stepped Fractyl, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Susan, and another pony in a Vehicon suit like Susan's.

"Hello! Hello! This is your leader and founder, the Equestrian Princess of War, speaking." The second Pony-Vehicon said to the crowd. Rainbow Dash recognized the basic voice amplification spell being used.

"Before we get started, I want to clarify something. There's been confusion about what to call the suits Susan and I are wearing and what to call the people wearing them. They're nothing fancy, people, they're just exo-suits. Or if you must be more specific, Vehicon exo-suits. Second, the people wearing them are "Ponybots," not "Ponycons" or "Vehiponies." Ponybots. Are we all understood? Good. Let's move on."

The War Princess retracted her mask.

If Rainbow Dash was shocked to see Susan under her mask, it was nothing compared to the thousand volts of electric surprise going through her at the identity of the War Princess.

"Twilight?" Dash slammed a hoof to her head. “Duh, of course it’s Twilight. Who else would want to do something like this and be just smart enough to pull it off?”

"Autobots Imperial, let's talk." Twilight said, pacing back and forth. "Let's talk about this organization. Let's talk about why I made it. I made it … because the humans known as Theodore Galloway, Harold Attinger, and Dylan Gould are guilty. Guilty of what, you ask? The attempted murder and criminal framing of Optimus Prime."

The crowd gasped. Some of them murmured.

"You'll notice I say 'attempted.'" Twilight continued. "This is because not do I believe it, I KNOW, not just in my heart, but in fact and truth, that Optimus Prime is still alive. Not sure where, but he's out there, and we know this thanks to a particular bot - Ultra Magnus, Optimus Prime's Spark brother. He can sense the pulse of Optimus Prime, the beat of his Spark, and as long we have him, we know Optimus is alive!" The crowd cheered. "I'm not …" Twilight's voice lost some its conviction. "Not one-hundred percent sure he would approve of all this. But I know for a fact he wouldn't approve of Galloway!"

Large portions of the crowd whooped and cheered.

"And I ALSO know that he wouldn't approve of America being turned into Galloway's … personal playground! And I know … he would've helped the Vehicons, if he could have. You'll notice several Vehicons are in the audience. This is because I promised them something, something they needed. I promised them independence and rights, because the Vehicons are not easily manufactured, replaceable drones. That's how Galloway got his "Americon" task force. He promised them they'd be treated as full-fledged American citizens if they dressed up in red white and blue and serve him under the Peacetime Cooperation Act. Which all we know is really a Peacetime Slavery Act. But Vehicons aren't slaves! They're people, as much as the next Combaticon or Aerialbot or unicorn or whatever! "

The Vehicons in attendance went into an uproar, chanting their new mantra. "VEHICONS ARE PEOPLE TOO! VEHICONS ARE PEOPLE TOO!"

Twilight chuckled. "Yes, yes, that's right. Vehicons are people, too! But we can't let that dominate the conversation. We mentioned Galloway tried to have Optimus Prime murdered, and do you know why? Because he wanted to declare a bogus state of martial law so HE could rule in the President's chair without actually doing any of the work it takes to be President! I just want to repeat that for a moment. Galloway tried to kill Optimus Prime so he could be President of the United States. At least when MEGATRON was still around and trying to kill him, he had his sights on the KNOWN UNIVERSE! AM I RIGHT!?"

The crowd went into another uproar, shouting agreements and insults against Galloway for how small his goal was compared to Megatron's.

"Another reason I created these Imperials ..." Twilight added. "Was because of my mentor, Princess Celestia. Now, don't get me wrong; I love the Princess with all my heart. I do. She says she won't fight the humans because she doesn't want to get Equestria involved in a war, and I respect that. But I don't respect Galloway, and the reason for this organization … was to fight Galloway and topple his regimen without tying it to Celestia's hoof, fighting Galloway on one front and protecting Equestria on the other."

Twilight took in a breath. "I have two more things to say before I give the floor to my commandeering officers. There are three platforms this organization is based off. First, Vehicons are people too. Second, Semper Tyrannus: "As Always Unto Tyrants," meaning tyrants always get what's coming to them. Tyrants … like Galloway. Third, Long Live the Last Prime! For all though he may be alive now, that may change; you can't cheat the reaper. But through us, his spirit, his ideals, will live on."

"Lastly, Optimus Prime, bless his Spark, was a great Autobot. He won countless victories, keeping the Decepticons at bay, and if he gave into his rage, his baser instinct, the Decepticons would not have survived. But he kept control of his emotions, because he didn't want to become a mindless killer like his enemies. But I would like to remind all of you: Optimus Prime did many great things. He was a great man. A great Autobot. But still just one Autobot."

Twilight put her hooves on the rail.

"So tell me … if Optimus Prime was just one Autobot, and he could do all those things, what could I do with ten Autobots? A hundred Autobots? A THOUSAND?"

The crowd, seeing her point, broke into their loudest cheers of the event yet.

"Magnum, Fractyl." Twilight bowed, stepping away and letting Magnum and Fractyl come forward.

"We may call ourselves the Autobots Imperial, but we're not Autobots." Magnum said. "Not in the traditional sense. We're new Autobots. Autobots who take humans and ponies and Decepticons into our ranks without batting an eye. New Autobots for a new age – the future is now. The future ... is us."

Fractyl cleared his throat. "We're more than just new Autobots. We're Autobots and Decepticons, come together for one goal; peace. We're all sick and tired of war and destruction and we just want to settle down and live happy lives. And we can't do that so long as they are still people like Galloway, like Fearswoop, like Deathsaurus around. I'll be representing a more Decepticon viewpoint. We, the Autobots Imperial, charge the human race with a crime against the Prime leadership. What's the crime?"

"TREASON!"

"What is the VERDICT?"

"GUILTY!"

"THE SENTENCE?"

"DEATH!"

"Eh-heh." Twilight forced a laugh. "Now, now, we don't want to kill them, just rough them up a little bit so that they know that we are not going to stand for this isolationist, pro-human-at-the- expense-of-all-others kind of thinking! Now, something to lighten the mood. When I was young, my parents told me I could be anything I wanted." Twilight smiled. "So I became a terrorist." The crowd laughed. "Dismissed, everypony!"

The crowd dispersed. All except for Rainbow Dash, who was overwhelmed by the amount of information Twilight had revealed, the amount of implications Twilight revealed, and the most staggering of all … the amount of strength Twilight had in her convictions.

Twilight noticing her and waving at her did nothing to improve Dash's low spirits.

"Okay." Dash said to herself. "I gotta talk to her." Seeing they were alone, she flew up to the bridge, next to Twilight. Somewhat contrary to the mood Dash was experiencing, Twilight gave her a loving hug.

"I'm SO glad to see you here, Rainbow Dash! When Susan told you showed up at Wyoming, I was so worried. But you've come to your senses!"

"Twilight … listen." Rainbow Dash pushed Twilight off her. "You can't do this. This whole … Imperial thing."

Twilight frowned. "Well, why not?"

"Because! It's not right. You say you know Optimus is alive. You say Galloway is guilty. You say Vehicons are people!"

Rainbow was not expecting Twilight to turn violent at the last statement. Twilight put her hoof on Dash's chest and pushed her. "Vehicons ARE people, and don't you EVER say that to me again!"

Rainbow Dash stared.

Twilight huffed. "I'm sorry, Rainbow Dash. It took me awhile to understand it, too, but they are." She looked at Rainbow Dash.

"Twilight ..." Dash said, trying to think of what to say next. "Why'd you hide it, Twilight?"

"Hmm?"

"Why did you hide you were founding some … freedom fighter -terrorist organization from me? From Rarity and the Princess?"

"Like I said, I didn't want Equestria – or you – to get hurt, so I kept it a secret." Twilight explained. "I figured it Galloway knew it was me, he'd try to use you to get to me." She trotted away from Dash, hanging her head. "Optimus' last request to me was to watch over our family … I guess I'm not doing a very good job of that, huh?"

“Uh. Look, Twilight, Galloway’s a sleazebag, I won’t argue with you there, and I know those plans are Scorponok’s, but are you sure this is the best way to go about getting justice?” Dash asked.

“Yes.” Twilight answered. “What you propose I do, gather evidence and try to prove in a barbaric human court and trial system using their rigged, unfair and broken judicial process?”

“Uh, yeah?” Dash said. “Uh, wait, how do you know if their system is rigged?”

“It’s compromised.”

“How do you know that?”

Twilight became dodgy. "A … reliable source."

"How reliable?"

"Reliable enough."

"Who is it, Twilight!?"

"Soundwave! It was Soundwave, okay? He found me in the forest when I tried to call Optimus. He picked me up and he played a recording of Galloway and Attinger on a phone call talking about Operation: Patriotism and its details, and then he tossed me through a GroundBridge into Galloway's office!"

Dash tilted her head. "Why would he do that? Why wouldn't he just kill you?"

Twilight shook her head. "I don't know." She looked around the room. "Or … maybe I do. Look, Optimus was keeping Megatron's body in the base so it couldn't be used to revive him, right?"

"Makes sense. Didn't stop Megatron from coming back though, did it?"

"Ignoring that, when the base was destroyed, that meant Megatron's corpse was incinerated."

"Uh-huh ..." Dash nodded. "Go on ..."

"So in effect, the humans caused Megatron's body to be cremated. We know how close Soundwave and Megatron were. I can't imagine Soundwave would approve of the humans cremating Megatron's body without permission, so that's why he played the recording for me. And ..." Twilight put a hoof on her chin, examining around the room. "He probably picked me because he knew me well enough that I would do something like … well, this." Twilight gestured wildly around the room.

"How did you do this, anyway?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Easy! The Omega Lock."

"What's the Omega Lock?"

"Basically, it's the ultimate 3D printer." Twilight explained. "Put a design for a building in it, and it can generate for you out of thin air. We managed to find out about it from Alpha Trion, but he gave us the slip before we could get anything else. It's supposed to use the Omega Keys, but we were able to use the Elements of Harmony instead."

Rainbow's eyes widened. "That was you? You sent those Vehicons to steal the Elements from the tree?"

"Yup! I also developed the petrifying agent, using a sample from the Plunderseeds." Twilight boasted. "Any more questions?"

Rainbow Dash looked around to make sure they were alone.

"How do … you know Optimus is alive? You said you can feel it, but ..."

Twilight did the same as Dash, making sure no one was around to observe them. "I can't feel it. But I know someone who can." Twilight pressed a button her exo-suit. "Send Ultra Magnus to me."

"You called?" Ultra Magnus asked, appearing in the doorway with haste.

"Ultra Magnus, tell Rainbow Dash how we know Optimus is alive." Twilight gestured to Rainbow.

"Okay." Magnus said. "You know how sometimes, when something happens to your family, you can just feel it? Like, sort of, just feel it?"

"Yeah?"

"That's much more literal for Cybertronian family. As Optimus Prime's brother, I can sense the beat and pulse of his Spark through my Spark. So that's how we know."

"Now, is that all, Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow Dash kicked her hoof, looking at the floor. She didn't want to betray Celestia … but she couldn't bring herself to continue deceiving Twilight, her best friend. If it was someone horrible like Starscream or Fearswoop, sure, Dash could keep the deception up, but Twilight was her friend! Twilight trusted her. "Twilight, I have to come clean."

"Oh?"

"I'm … a spy. I was supposed to spy on you so that Galloway and Celestia could beat you and the Imperials. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"Oh ..." Twilight said. "It's okay."

"Really? You're not upset?"

"Of course I'm upset!" Twilight said with a forced smile, her eyes twitching, her hoof looking like it was about to reach for her armor and pull a blaster on Dash, but she controlled herself. "It's upsetting to learn my system for keeping out spies is flawed and a total failure! But I'm a lot less upset than I would be if you didn’t tell me and went back to tell that scumbag everything you’ve learned?"

"Yeah… I won't do that, I promise. So, hey, can you stop with the whole waging-war charging-the-human-race with a crime thing?" Dash asked. "It's … really causing Celestia and the rest of the girls some stress, and it's upsetting Galloway, who I don't like and is probably guilty, but Celestia wants us to play nice with, so ..."

Twilight pursed her lips. "Okay. I understand."

"You do? Great! So you'll stop with the terrorist thing?"

"I'll make an announcement on the news real quick." Twilight muttered. She went up to Rainbow Dash and started steering her. "Why don't I set up a Bridge for you and you can go tell the others?"

"Sounds great!"

"Good, good ..." A Bridge appeared. Rainbow Dash trotted through it, stopping to look back at Twilight, who was giving a deceptive smile. Dash didn't pick it up and walked through the Bridge, proud of herself for a job well done. After all, she had dismantled the Imperial threat with nothing more than a few words. Which, although Dash was into action, was still pretty awesome, by Dash's standards.


Rainbow Dash returned to the office of Team Shining Armor.

"Well?" Shining Armor inquired, running up to her. "Did you find out anything? Is everything okay?"

"It's all gonna be fine!" Rainbow Dash assured him. "Twilight said she'll disband them!"

"Twiley?" Shining Armor asked. "You saw Twiley? Twiley's the leader of the Imperials?"

"And founder. But don't worry, she'll stop. She said she'll make an announcement."

"Why wouldn't she tell us?" Cadence asked.

"Said she wanted to protect us."

"Reasonable enough." Arcee chimed in.

"Probably doesn't trust us either, after certain people said certain things..." Bulkhead added, glaring at Shining Armor. Shining glared back.

"Now, come on!" Dash said, galloping to the nearest television in the government building. "I want see Twilight's announcement!" Dash clicked the T.V on. There was a news report running about some dumb baseball game which Dash didn't care for before the screen went into static, showing the image of a pony in Twilight's Vehicon exo-suits.

"Hello, ladies, children… sheep of America." The Ponybot with the processed voice said. "This is the Equestrian Princess of War speaking. It's been brought to my attention by someone close to me my attack on Wyoming did not make my intentions clear. We are the Autobots Imperials. We will fight Galloway's America, and we will not stop fighting until our goals are met. I want you to understand that. We will not stop. Thank you for your time." The screen flipped back to the baseball game.

Team Shining Armor didn't hear the announcer talk about the pitch, too shocked and hurt to care about it. Shining Armor, Celestia, and Cadence were stuck to their seats, but Dash, Rarity, and Fluttershy went out with Bumblebee, Bulkhead, Smokescreen, and Arcee.

"You said she would be dismantling it!" Arcee accused Rainbow Dash.

"I – I thought she would!" Dash stammered.

Arcee put her hands on her head. "I can't believe this. Off all the things we have to put up with, getting blasted, shot, blown up, now we have to fight Twilight Sparkle, our friend, as a terrorist?"

"Bummer." Smokescreen said.

"Bummer," Smokescreen said.

"Be-beep beep be-beep beep." Bumblebee patted Smokescreen on the back.

"Didn't you talk her down?" Arcee asked Rainbow Dash.

"I did! Stop accusing me!" Dash said.

"I'm not accusing you! But I'm not sure what else to I'm supposed to do here, Rainbow Dash!" Arcee shouted. "Twilight Sparkle – an intelligent, technologically competent pony – is about to become Public Enemy Number One, and there's no reasoning with her because she's convinced she's doing what's right!"

A long paused ensued, everyone waiting for the next Autobot or pony to snap and yell and shriek. Instead, the next person to speak was Fluttershy, in a quiet, calm voice.

"Are we sure there isn't a reason for that?" Fluttershy said.

"Yeah," Smokescreen said. "None of us really like Galloway and we think he's a jerk."

"Just because we don't like him doesn't make him evil," Rarity said.

"Yeah, but he is trying to frame Optimus Prime, create a Cybertronian-Equestrian registry, and somehow took over the U.S government without an election," Dash.

"Well, I suppose when you put it that way, it is...difficult to defend, even if Celestia wants to try to be pacifistic and wants us to try take the high road..."

Everyone looked at the ground, thinking it over. The more they thought about it, the more it made sense. The more they realized they weren't protecting Cybertron or Equestria by going along with Galloway's blatant lies and misdirection. If anything, they were hurting themselves,no matter how Celestia felt what was the best approach to the situation.

"On second thought, who cares what Celestia thinks?" Rarity flicked her head, turning up her nose. "Not I, for one, certainly."

Fluttershy left and located Rampage. "Rampage, sweetie? If we decided we wanted to join the Autobots Imperial, would you join us?"

Rampage saluted his pincer. "I will follow where you go, my lady."


And so, the brief, oh-so-brilliant life of Team Shining Armor came to an end, as Team Prime (and Rampage) went back to the location they had Rainbow Dash broadcast her message to Twilight.

"Hey, Twilight." Rainbow Dash said into the phone, attempting a live call. "It's Rainbow Dash. The others and I have been talking and … we realized you're right. We want to join you. We mean it this time. No tricks, no spies, nothing."

Rainbow Dash closed the phone.

A Bridge opened for them.

When they went through, they were standing at the auditorium bridge where Twilight Sparkle had made her speech.

"See?" Twilight asked with a smile. "I knew you'd come to your senses."

"Yeah, yeah." Dash nodded. "Just don't go getting a big head about it."

Twilight raised her head. "Why's um, why is Rampage here?"

"Fluttershy."

“Ooh,” Twilight said. Still, psychotic Decepticon crab experiments aside, she was happy to have the Team all back together again. But whatever joy it may have brought her in that brief feeling moment, was quickly put to an end by Ultra Magnus stepping into the room. He walked slowly, as though the life and energy had been sucked out of him.

"Ultra Magnus?" Twilight asked. "What's wrong?"

Ultra Magnus dropped to his knees.

"It's… it's Optimus. It's his Spark. It's… gone." Ultra Magnus cradled his head. "My big brother is gone..."

Arcee's jaw hung open. Rainbow Dash sniffed a little. Bulkhead turned to Bumblebee and engaged him in a hug, breaking into tears. Rarity put her hoof over her mouth.

"What? No. No way." Smokescreen shook his head. "This is a bad joke, right?"

"Twilight?" Rarity asked, noticing Twilight's uncharacteristic and stoic silence. "Are you alright, darling?"

Twilight turned her head away from them. She drew up her Vehicon mask and walked away. She had nothing to say. Except …

"Long Live the Last Prime."

Author's Note:

You know, going from the 2016 election, if Cybertronians are anything like humans, Metalhawk would probably pull off a Bernie Sanders.

Going over this again, it occurs to me a fight between friggign GRIMLOCK AND RAMPAGE, a sociopath Autobot and an utterly deranged Decepticon adapted from a Beast Wars Predacon, really should have been WAY more spectacular and dynamic than it was here.