• Published 30th Nov 2013
  • 794 Views, 42 Comments

Operation: Patriotism - Darkryt Orbinautz



Post First Contact, Twilight must deal with a conspiracy prejudiced against her and alien lifeforms while on the wrong side of the law. But how far is she willing to go to stand up for what she believes in?

  • ...
23
 42
 794

XV: Who You Are In The Dark

Ultra Magnus walked around the foyer of the Imperial base, making his rounds while they waited for the next signal of Forged Decepticon activity, or detected Galloway's underground agents moving beneath the surface of the world, hiding from the light of day.

Like the worms they are, Ultra Magnus thought.

He walked by the entertainment center in the room, giving it a casual glance as he passed by. As he was about to walk away, he noticed something strange and halted.

Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash were all in entertainment center, relaxing on the couches or entertaining themselves with Raf's racing car video game. All of the girls were present … except Twilight.

“Hey.” Ultra Magnus said. “Has anyone seen Twilight Sparkle recently? I haven't heard from her all day.” He walked over and rested his back against a platform. “You think she would at least make an announcement or something.”

Rarity rose up from her seat on the couch. “Now that you mention it, I haven't seen or heard from Twilight Sparkle since yesterday ...” Worry became apparent in her eyes as they traveled across each of her friends.

“I hope she's okay ...” Fluttershy said.

“Her exo-suit should be putting out a signal. She told me she designed an artificial version of a Cybertronian life sign in it. We should be able to use that to track her.” Ultra Magnus shucked open a panel on his forearm, revealing a console. He punched in a command on the buttons and moved towards where it detected a signal. The girls followed him.

“How do you have an artificial version of a Cybertronian life sign?” Rarity asked. “Aren't all things Cybertronian, by their very nature, artificial in a sense?”

“Quiet, you.” Ultra Magnus was not in the mood to deal with her pesky technical questions. “We're almost to the source.”

They arrived at a door in the hall where Twilight's office was, situated a few rooms further out.

Ultra Magnus put his hand on the keypad controlling the door. “It's not locked ...” He pushed the button for opening the door, and the door did so without complaint, the door's pieces sliding apart for them to enter.

What they saw inside stunned and confused them. They were dozens of robotic bodies in the room, under construction. Imitations of COBRA's B.A.T.S, Gould's Stingers painted in Imperial blue rather than Gould's marketing-friendly red, and the torso halves of half-finished Morbots were scattered across the floor. Arms, legs, torsos, and heads belonging to each model of robot were strewn about in a haphazard manner. If it were living Cybertronians instead of drones, the sight would have been grisly.

Twilight herself was standing by a Stinger, running a blowtorch over its side as she affixed its shoulder to its torso. She felt the vibrations of Ultra Magnus' heavy feet on the floor and turned to the door, turning off the blowtorch and lifting the boiler plate on her face up.

“Oh! Hey, girls. What brings you here?”

Ultra Magnus and the girls looked around the room as they walked in.

“Twilight ...” Ultra Magnus's tone was a like a disapproving father's. “Are you trying to build a drone army?”

Twilight became defensive. “No! … Maybe.” She deflated and let out a sigh. “Yes.”

“But … why?” Fluttershy asked as Pinkie played with a B.A.T., smacking it across the head and causing the head to swivel.

Twilight looked at the floor. “After everything that happened yesterday … after I foolishly allowed Miko to put herself in danger like that … after what Steeljaw said … I wanted to try to find a way to protect … you.” Twilight looked at her friends. “To keep you safe. To keep you all safe. So, I pulled out my old Morbot schematics and what little information we had on the Stinger model and the B.A.T.s, synthesized metals and alloys from the Omega Lock, and started building all of these.”

Twilight placed a hoof on the Stinger, staring at her reflection.

“To make a drone army … to fight our battles by proxy, so you and everypony else wouldn't have to risk your lives in the line of fire and could stand behind where it was safe.”

Rarity took another look around the room. “Twilight, darling, have you been working on these all night?”

“Err … maybe?” Twilight said. “I lost track of how long I've been in here.”

“I think it's sweet that you want to keep us safe and protect us.” Fluttershy said. “But I'm not so sure that this is a good idea, Twilight.”

“Yeah.” Rainbow Dash said. “Besides, you can't have gotten enough data from Miko to clone Stinger and our fight with COBRA to copy the B.A.T.s just off of that.” Rainbow Dash chuckled nervously before turning to Pinkie Pie. “Eh, could she?” Pinkie Pie shrugged.

“Wanting to keep your friends safe is an admirable goal. ” Ultra Magnus said. “However ...”

He walked over to a Morbot and turned its head so it was facing him as he inspected before turning his attention back to Twilight.

“What would be the point?”

Twilight blinked. “I'm sorry. What do you mean by that?”

“I mean, what would be the point of a drone army, Twilight Sparkle?” Ultra Magnus asked. He got down to one knee to speak with her on a more equal level. “Twilight, you founded the Imperials with the goal of proving that we, that all of us aliens, could work together, that we could trust each other enough to risk our lives together for a cause we believed in. To show to all the skeptics and the disbelievers, the naysayers, the isolationists and the xenophobes that we can come together for a common goal. And if you do that with this drone army … if you do all your fighting by remote, with a push of a button sending out emotionless, lifeless, causeless drones … then what are you proving? Not pan-alien unity and cooperation, that's for sure.”

Twilight Sparkle mulled over his words. She nodded. “You're right, Ultra Magnus. I'll scrap them all immediately.”

“Whoa, whoa! There's no need to get so hasty. As a Wrecker, you know I always approve of destroying things and blowing stuff up, but, heh ...” Ultra Magnus went back to the Morbot, grabbing and lifting its cannon-arm. “A few of these guys around providing some extra firepower might not be a bad idea, plus it would let some of our human and pony fighters not have to risk getting squashed underfoot by Decepticons. Just don't go trying to automate the entire war process, that's all.”

Twilight Sparkle smiled. “Understood.” She saluted him. “Dismissed.”

Ultra Magnus saluted and smiled back. “Dismissed.”

()()

()()


Somewhere out in a snowy mountain range, Bludgeon plodded through the snow, his sketatal feet leaving distinct footprints behind him. He looked up at the sky through the raining snow, waiting for someone. Through the snowy weather, he saw a jet.

The jet swerved and curved around before transforming as it got closer to Bludgeon, revealing itself to be Starscream, who landed on his feet in front of Bludgeon. “Ah, Bludgeon! So good of you to come. I wasn't sure you would respond to my summons ...”

“What do you want from me, Starscream?” Bludgeon asked. “And it had better be something worth coming out all this way to … neutral territory.” Bludgeon spat the words as if he considered them vile. Any territory where he couldn't stab someone might as well be no territory at all.

“I only wish to ask something of you. To propose an alliance.” Starscream made a fist.

“An alliance?”

“Yes! We should join forces, you and I. The less Decepticons we have fighting each other and the more we have fighting the Imperials and Galloway's Patriots, the better. There's no reason for us to be at odds with each other. We both want the same thing. To see the Decepticon flag fly once more as we spread our dominion over the known universe. To lead the Decepticon Empire to power and glory!”

“You forget something, though, Starscream. Something that makes our goals incompatible. You want to see the birth of a new Decepticon Empire with yourself at the helm. I want to see it with myself leading the charge. And we both know you couldn't stand to share the glory with anyone.”

Starscream glared at him. “I'm not the same person I once was, Bludgeon. I am not so blind as to turn down a potential and valuable ally just to satiate some foolish desire of my overinflated ego. We could co-lead. You could be my First Lieutenant and officer. In fact, I would be willing to be your officer, if it would mean you would consolidate your forces with the Forged.”

“You always were a sub, Starscream.”

Starscream scrunched his optics shut and shook with rage. He took in a deep breath. “In the interest of a fair alliance, I am going to let that comment pass.” He gave one his of famous Starscream smiles. “So, what do you say?”

“What do you have to offer me, Starscream?” Bludgeon asked. “A planet?”

“Let's get ourselves into a position where we can decide who rules a planet before trying to make empty promises to each other.” Starscream said.

“Hmm. You cannot offer me anything of interest, Starscream. Nor can your Forged. I have nothing more to say to you.” Bludgeon turned to leave.

Starscream turned away as well.

“Although ...” Starscream spoke, earning Bludgeon's interest enough for him to stop.

“I know you have an interest in the supernatural, Bludgeon. Every Decepticon who knows you knows how you used to engross yourself in Cybertronian folklore. If we were to succeed at taking over and conquering planets, I would be happy to give you Equestria … so long as you promised to give Twilight Sparkle a long, miserable and torturous existence before snuffing out her life.” Starscream, enraged as he remembered his treatment while in Twilight Sparkle's hospitality, tensed up his claw and snatched at the air, grabbing at an imaginary phantom of his pain.

“Huh.” Bludgeon said. This was a fair, if not, generous deal Starscream was proposing. An entire planet, in exchange for the torture of one pony.

“Fair,” “Generous,” and “Starscream” were not words Bludgeon ever thought would go together.

“ … I'll think about it.” Bludgeon said. “I'll see you around, Starscream.” He began his walk down the mountain.

“Yes.” Starscream pumped his fist while he was by himself. While Bludgeon hadn't accepted his offer as he hoped, the door was still open for future negotiations and an eventual merging of their forces.

Although … as Bludgeon walked away, Starscream couldn't help but get the sense Bludgeon was planning something. Something big.

()()()

Zecora went on her usual trek through the Everfree Forest. Finding an herb she needed, she bent down to pick it up.

Her eyes widened and she grimaced when, striking like lightning, a metal blade flashed by her and was pressed against the side of her throat, orange fingers wrapping around her head.

“Hello again, Zecora.” Bludgeon greeted her. “There’s something you have that I want.”

“You’re a fool to try this scheme once more. Do you think I’ll not be rescued like before?” Zecora asked him.

“Am I? No, I don’t think you will.” Bludgeon said. “You see, I was careful this time. Stealthy, even. I didn’t ransack Ponyville on the way. I opened a Space Bridge a some miles away from the Everfree Forest and then drove here, so anyone tracking Space Bridge signals is going to have no idea where my destination really is. No one knows I’m here, Zecora. No one knows you’re here, and that I have a knife to your throat. Your only options are to scream, die … or do as I say and give me the Alicorn Amulet.”

Zecora looked around, hoping for a sigh of Bludgeon being wrong and someone having followed him here. But there wasn’t any, no rustlings in the leaves, no familiar faces poking through the bushes and giving her assuring winks. She was alone.

Realizing she had little other choice, Zecora hung her head and sighed. “Fine. I will do as you say.” Bludgeon eased up his grip and took the knife off her flesh. Zecora raised her hoof. “Come. This way.”

“Excellent.” Bludgeon pocketed his knife. “You’ve chosen wisely, Zecora.”

Zecora sighed and stared at the ground. She hoped Twilight would forgive her for this … and would be able to handle the chaos and mayhem Bludgeon would doubtless cause with the Amulet’s empowerment.
()()()()

()()()()

On Earth, a portly mechanic worked on a truck, working his wrench to loosen up a rivet. There was an impatient metallic thumping on the front of his building which carried through the room.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m working as fast as I can.” The mechanic shouted back, assuming it was an impatient customer who wanted their ride fixed by now. He threw his wrench down and take a towel to his hands to wipe off the grease as he went to the front entrance.

“Can I help … you?” The mechanic asked, his eyes shrinking with fear as he saw his visitor. A bat-esque Decepticon, crouched over the front of the building and peering in.

“Yes, hello, human. I’m Mindwipe. But you can call me ‘Master.’” Mindwipe said. “I think you have something I want.”

“I … I don’t know what you’re talking about.” The mechanic said. “I mean, unless you’ve got a truck Decepticon you need me to fix up, I don’t see how I have anything to offer you.”

“Oh, I think you do.” Mindwipe pulled out a short wand with a star a the tip. “See this? This is an enchanted Equestrian wand. It absorbs the charge of a spell and allows others to use Equestrian magic. It was meant for mundane uses, like giving Earth ponies a chance to use a spell for their crops when their unicorn cohorts are out of commision, but there’s nothing preventing an insightful Decepticon for using it for more … inventive purposes.”

Mindwipe gripped the wand in his hand. “Now, it’s well-documented by now that Equestria mind controlling magic doesn’t work on Cybertronian neural relays, because a Cybertronian noggin is so different from a pony’s … but humans and ponies are both organic. I wonder … how an Equestrian mind control would affect a human?”

Mindwipe waved the wand, and a green ball of energy flew from its tip to the mechanic’s head. His eyes became dull and lifeless, a bit of droop escaping his mouth.

“Now, human, you will do as I say, yes?” Mindwipe asked.

The mechanic nodded. “Yes …”

“I have scouts and spies who tell me that Twilight Sparkle came to you with the remnants of the one called ‘Thunderwing’ and had you dismantle him for parts in the event they unexpectedly became of use to her. Is this true?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Bring them to me. Bring me the parts of Thunderwing.”

“Whatever you say, boss!” The mechanic gave a wave and turned to go back inside to retrieve the components and body parts Mindwipe desired.

()()()()()

Bludgeon walked around the entrance to the Canterlot mines. After Starscream’s rescue and escape from there, it was no secret Twilight Sparkle was keeping things in there she perhaps should not be.

Bludgeon walked in, arriving at the area, finding the empty table which used to hold Starscream. He found what he was looking for with no trouble.

“Ah.”

He reached out to take the prize from Twilight’s shelf.

“Hmm.” Holding his prize on the way, Bludgeon noticed the table. Recalling his amicable talk with Starscream earlier, Bludgeon decided to do Starscream a solid and slammed his foot onto the table, cracking it in half with an expert martial kick.

()()()()()()

Twilight Sparkle was busy in the Rainbow Principality, running her hoof over the table as she checked their supplies, making sure they had sufficient food, water, and ammunition for everything they needed. She hadn’t realized it before now, but making sure everyone in a city had everything they needed was hard work. Doubly so when they’re part of a city that was an illegally built one with no land grants, run by an organization considered a criminal one by most.

“Commander?” An Imperialcon and an Autobot soldier walked up to her. “Could we have a moment of your time?”

“What is it, solider?” Twilight asked. “Can’t you see I’m busy?”

The Imperialcon and Autobot each rubbed their hands together, looking apologetic. They shared uncertain glances with each other. “This is important. There’s been … an incident.”

This got Twilight’s attention, snapping her away from the tablet. “What happened?”

“In the civilian district. There was a retired Autobot and a Decepticon … they … got into a fight.” The Imperialcon said.

“I see.” Twilight said.

“Crazy, huh?” The Autobot said. “Both of them retired, former fighters just wanting to settle down and get away from all the conflict and craziness, and they still got into a fight with each other.”

“I’m sorry, Twilight Sparkle.” The Imperialcon said. “I know this news must be disappointing to you. If it makes you feel any better … I’m disappointed, too.” The Imperial rubbed at the back of his neck. “What are your orders?”

“Um.” Twilight brushed a hoof over her eyes, taken by surprise by this news. “Put them both in confinement and wait for an update. I need to think about how I’m going to punish them.”

“Understood.” The Imperialcon said. He and his partner left to carry out Twilight’s orders.

This was upsetting to Twilight on many levels. She understood and sympathized with the Imperialcon’s pain. If one Autobot and one Decepticon, both retired and kept out of a combat zone, couldn’t put aside their differences to live peacefully, what hope was there out of getting all of the Autobot and Decepticons to reconcile? Or at least a vast majority?

“Don’t look like that.” Magnum said, walking towards Twilight. “Quit staring at the ground, sir.” Magnum stood to the side of her. “You should have realized trying to make Autobots and Decepticons live together was going to come with some set-backs.”

“I know.” Twilight said.

“You should have realized something like this was bound to happen.”

“I know.”

“It was inevitable.”

“I know! I know, okay, I know!” Twilight snapped. Magnum leveled a brow at her. Twilight walked away from him, placing a hoof to her forehead.

“I’m sorry.” Twilight said. “I shouldn’t have snapped like that. I’ll need to figure something out to punish those two … I can’t just banish them, because they know the location of our base, but I can’t punish them too severely, or it will undermine the message of peace in the Rainbow Principality …”

“You really didn’t think every aspect of this plan all the way through, did you?” Magnum asked.

“No.” Twilight admitted. “I mean, it seemed simply enough … grab a bunch of people from all three planets, have them live together under one roof and work together towards a shared goal to show we could all coexist peacefully, proving Galloway wrong while working to overthrow his corrupt regime.” Twilight sighed.

The building vibrated while the sound of a loud, large engine roared and whirred overhead.

“What’s that?” Magnum asked. The entire building shook as something big landed outside.

Ultra Magnus entered the room with a smile on his face. “Hey, everybody!” He looked at Twilight and saw her solemn sour disposition. “I don’t what you’ve been talking about that’s upsetting, but I’ve got good news! I’ve managed to get Omega Supreme away from Cybertron.”

“Omega Supreme?” Magnum asked with surprise.

“He was always on our side. It just took a bit to get him, that’s all.” Ultra Magnus said. “He won’t give our location away. We can trust Omega.”

“Why wasn’t he brought here before?” Twilight asked with a bit of suspicion.

“Have you seen how big he is?” Ultra Magnus asked. “It was incredibly difficult to get him away from Cybertron without anyone noticing.”

Twilight’s ears perked up, picking up a voice she recognized a news announcer coming from another room. She ran into the room with the television playing the news, accompanied by Ultra Magnus and Magnum.

“And, in a breaking news flash, the Autobot known as “Omega Supreme,” a revered figure among the Cybertronian populace, has disappeared from Cybertron.” The announcer said.

“See?” Ultra Magnus gestured to the screen.

“In other news, a mechanic has been found dazed and confused outside of his workshop.” The announcer said. A picture of the mechanic flashed onscreen. “He says he has been the victim of mental influence caused by Equestria magic, unable to recall much other than his assailant was Cybertronian and wanted something from him.”

“Poor guy.” Ultra Magnus said. “Wonder what kind of Equestrian drug the ‘Con slipped him?”

“In related news, we have word from Gould Enterprise’ owner and CEO, Dylan Gould. Gould?” Gould’s face appeared on a split-screen. “What do you have to say about this shocking development?”

“I say this proves my point perfectly.” Gould said. “The Cybertronians are dangerous, and we need some way of protecting ourselves from them. That’s why nobody should go without one of my brand-new Stinger model drones! Whether you commute to the city or live in suburban neighborhood, Stinger is the perfect car and war drone for all of your family needs, be it picking up your kids or protecting them from a brutal Decepticon kidnapping!”

Everyone in the room reacted with disgust to Gould’s appearance on the screen and his shameless shilling of his product. For him to take advantage of this poor mechanic’s experiences to make a quick buck sickened Twilight. Did Gould have no respect for this man’s privacy? For the shock the man might have going through?

But I suppose I shouldn’t be too surprised. Twilight thought. She knew Gould by now.



“Hey …” Twilight said, rubbing her chin and staring at the picture on the screen. “I know that mechanic.”

“You do?”

“Yes.” Twilight answered. “After the incident I had with Thunderwing, I took Thunderwing’s body to this mechanic and had him disassemble in case I wanted any of Thunderwing’s parts for something.”

“WHAT?” Ultra Magnus shouted. “What on Earth or Cybertron or wherever made you possibly think that dissembling and putting a servant of Unicron on ice was a good idea!?”

“Hey, cut me some slack!” Twilight Sparkle said. “When I had Dark Energon running through my veins, lots of bad ideas seemed like good ideas, and lots of ideas that were neither really good nor bad seemed to edge towards ‘good.’”

“I see.” Ultra Magnus said.

Twilight stared at the news report, her hoof on her chin. How did anyone even know where she was keeping Thunderwing’s parts? And if they were trying to rebuild him …

Twilight slammed her hoof down, a realization hitting her.

“We need to get to Canterlot. Now.”

()()()()()()()

()()()()()()()

Twilight and a team of Imperials went to the Canterlot Mines.

"So this is where you kept Starscream, huh?" Utlra Magnus said upon coming up on Twilight's mini-lab. "Cozy."

Twilight ignored him. After they searched the cave with flashlights, she was able to reach a conclusion.

"Slag. Just as I feared. It's missing." Twilight said, shining a light on the shelf. "Sombra's horn is missing. Okay, everypony, out of the cave. We know what we need to know." The Imperials followed her out.

"So … what do we know, exactly?" Smokescreen asked.

"With Sombra's horn, someone could -" Twilight's answer was cut off by a loud boom which shook the ground around them.

"Um." Smokescreen pointed to the distance, where a pillar of purple light was shooting skyward from the Crystal Empire. "I know giant pillars of purple light from nowhere never mean anything good, but on a scale of one to ten, how bad it is?"

"Someone has resurrected Thunderwing." Twilight said. The Imperials looked off to the distance, serious and focused on their new objective.

"So, like- like an eight or something, right?" Smokescreen stammered.

"Smokescreen ..." Ultra Magnus said.

"I know, I know." Smokescreen threw his hands in the air. "Serious face." He pointed at his cheeks as he put on what he thought was a serious expression, with his brow furrowed and his mouth scrunched up, but it ended looking more silly than serious.

"Imperials, move out." Twilight Sparkle said, swiping her hoof at the pillar of light. "We have to stop Thunderwing. He's an engine of destruction, and like any engine, it's easier to kill it if you don't let it keep going. We need to stop him while he's still freshly activated and warming up, before he gains any momentum and causes all kinds of destruction and chaos."

()()()()()()()()

()()()()()()()()

Bludgeon stood over a large pit, Alicorn Amulet around his neck, Thunderwing's glowing, reassembled body chattering within the pit, producing the pillar of light, his body chattering as he was brought back to life.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Mindwipe asked.

"Quit worrying." Bludgeon said.

Bludgeon held a piece of Dark Energon in his hands and broke it in half. "One for me …" Bludgeon stabbed one of the shards of Dark Energon into his chest. "And one for you." He dropped the other half down the pit, where it fell on Thunderwing's chest. It melted, absorbing into the chest of the Unicronian Spawn which it felt its kinship with.

Thunderwing's eyes shot open, his energy revitalized. Metallic shrieking, screeching, straining and groaning came from the pit as the Dark Energon and the dark magic of Sombra's horn restored Thunderwing to his full size.

Thunderwing rose up from the pit, spreading his wings. He was a massive, demonic figure, with tattered wings, broad shoulders which held generators in them, spikes running along his clawed arms, and a jagged mouth so thin when he closed his lips, his mouth seemed to disappear. His eyes would be red, were it not for Sombra's magic affecting him, turning them green with red irises, purple trails flowing from them.

"Thunderwing!" Bludgeon shouted. "Hear me. I am Bludgeon. I have brought you back from the dead. For this, I expect you to serve me in return."

Thunderwing turned his demonic gaze at him.

"You dare to command me, bug?" Thunderwing shouted back, the force of his voice blowing Bludgeon and Mindwipe away. "I only serve one master - Unicron!"

Bludgeon tensed a fist.

Twilight Sparkle and the Imperials watched this unfold from behind the cover of rocks and icy crystals.

"At least it seems like Thunderwing's in no hurry to obey Bludgeon." Ultra Magnus said.

"Yes." Twilight answered. "But Thunderwing will still be a menace whether he follows Bludgeon or not."

"Wait are we waiting for, then?" Ultra Magnus gripped his hammer. "I say we go in there and bash their heads in while the going is good."

"No." Twilight held her hoof out. "We shouldn't resort to violence just yet. If I can use my magic and do an impression of Thunderwing while he's still getting used to his senses, I might be able to convince him to turn on Bludgeon."

"You? Do an impression of Unicron?" Ultra Magnus asked.

"Hey, remember that, for a time, I had Unicron inside my head." Twilight Sparkle reminded him. "I dare you to find someone better fit for doing an impression of Unicron than me."

"Even assuming this cock-a-mamie plan of yours does work, and Thunderwing does deal with Bludgeon for us, what are we going to do deal with Thunderwing? I doubt you can convince to retire and settle down on a nice seaside beach house." Ultra Magnus said.

"Let's get that far before we worry about that part." Twilight poked her head out from the rock and stared at Thunderwing.

"Unicron can't help you now!" Bludgeon said. "Your only choice is to serve me!"

"My master, defeated?" Thunderwing crossed his arms. "I don't believe it. Unicron is invincible!"

"Well, you'd better start believing it, for your own good!" Bludgeon shouted. "I brought you back, Thunderwing, and I can put you back in the ground!"

"Oh?" Thunderwing flexed his arms, aiming his in-built cannons at Bludgeon. "Is that so? I'd like to see you try!"

"THUNDERWING!"

Thunderwing, Bludgeon and Mindwipe turned at the voice to see a flaming apparition in the shame of Unicron floating above a rock - the same avatar Unicron used when he was possessing Twilight Sparkle, all those moons ago.

Twilight hid behind the rock, her horn spewing the fire which traveled up and took Unicron's shape, using her magic to disguise and amplify her voice.

"Master!" Thunderwing shouted with glee. He flew out of the pit and bowed at Unicron, genuflecting before his master. "Command me, my liege. I am eager to serve you."

"YES, YES, THAT'S VERY GOOD, THUNDERWING."

"Tell me." Thunderwing clenched a fist. "Where might I find the current bearer of the Matrix? Allow me to destroy for you, and remove your only weakness from existence."

"THE MATRIX? UH, THE MATRIX IS ALREADY DESTROYED. IT'S GONE. NO NEED TO GO HUNT FOR IT."

"What?" Thunderwing exclaimed. "But how can this be? I thought I was your weapon to destroy the Matrix!"

"WELL, IT GOT DESTROYED ANYWAY. UNLESS YOU'RE QUESTIONING YOUR MASTER, MY SERVANT?"

"No!" Thunderwing said. He closed his eyes as he reflected on being robbed of his purpose, the one thing he lived for, the sole reason for the creation of his entire being and existence. "I see. Then at least allow me to destroy the descendants of the Primes for you, my liege."

"UH, NOPE. NO NEED TO GO DO THAT EITHER. THEY'RE DESTROYED."

Thunderwing raised his brow. "How can that be? The Matrix and the Primes are gone? Surely there must be something I can do for you, master."

"Wait a minute." Bludgeon said, noticing the tail of flame connecting Unicron to behind the rock. "Something's not right here."

"Yeah." Mindwipe said. "I thought Unicron the Devourer, God of Chaos, the Planet-Eater … would stutter less."

"Indeed. I don't think that's Unicron. But how do we prove it to Thunderwing?" Bludgeon said. He snapped his fingers. "I know."

Bludgeon walked towards the rock formation housing Unicron's avatar. Bludgeon put his hands to his face and shouted. "Hey, Unicron!"

"YES, INSOLENT MORTAL?"

"I think Fluttershy is a terrible pony who kick bunnies and dogs for the fun of it, and that the Autobots are losers!"

"THE AUTOBOTS ARE NOT LOSERS! AND FLUTTERSHY WOULD NEVER HURT AN ANIMAL OF ANY KIND, YOU SKULL-FACED PIECE OF SLAG ... and … furthermore … uh-oh." Twilight's voice dipped in volume as it dawned she had fallen for Bludgeon's trick.

Thunderwing stared in blank shock. "YOU ARE NOT MY MASTER!"

"Looks like the jig is up, ponies! Everybody out!" The War Princess ordered, dismissing the Unicron spirit and jumping out from behind her cover, right as Thunderwing open fired on it, blasting it to pieces with his powerful arm-cannon.

The rest of the Imperials sprinted out of their cover, running down the slopes to engage Bludgeon's Mayhems.

"Alright, people, let's WRECK AND RULE!" Ultra Magnus shouted, driving towards Thunderwing in vehicle mode. Magnus raised the boom of his cannon and opened, scoring a direct hit on Thunderwing's chest, achieving the net result of no damage as the smoke poured off from Thunderwing's chest. Magnus may as well have been using pyrotechnics.

"Immune to rockets, eh? No problem, I can deal." Ultra Magnus reverted to robot mode, digging the shaft of his hammer into the ice and twirling around like he was a ballerina. He lifted his hammer out and aimed its head at Thunderwing, shooting a bolt of lightning in to Thunderwing's chest.

The lighting dispersed, electric arcs crackling around Thunderwing's breastplate.

"Ha!" Thunderwing laughed. "That actually tingled."

"Hmm." Ultra Magnus pursed his lips, unsure how to proceed.

"Fool!" Bludgeon said. "You think you can hurt the mighty Thunderwing with your mere mortal weapons?"

Ultra Magnus smirked. Unnoticed by Bludgeon, he tapped a button his wrist. "Perhaps not. But I've got to thank you, Bludgeon."

"Eh?"

"You've given me something to do in this fight."

Ultra Magnus jumped into the air, twirling around, and slammed his hammer head into Bludgeon's face, making Bludgeon stumble. Bludgeon drew out his longsword and got ready to fight, but Ultra Magnus disabused Bludgeon of the notion the fight would go anywhere in Bludgeon's favor when he delivered his boot into Bludgeon's face.

The team of Magnum, Drift, and Crosshairs slid down from the mountain, Crosshairs firing bullets around, shooting the Mayhems' optics outs, while Magnum blasted them in the chest, shooting them down.

Drift slid across the ice and barreled towards Mindwipe, swords raised high. Mindwipe didn't notice until almost a hair too late, but he was able to deploy his inbuilt daggers and block Drift's swords from connecting.

"Ha!" Mindwipe jumped into the air, spinning and kicking Drift in the thigh, tripping him over, and jumping back.

"Coward." Drift accused, getting to his feet.

"You call it fighting dirty, I call it being practical." Mindwipe said. "Besides, I prefer a fight where one side is an unfair disadvantage, mainly the side that I'm fighting against."

Mindwipe stabbed his daggers into the ice, cracking it. Drift charged at him, blades raised. Mindwipe chuckled before leaping away, and when Drift's foot passed over the crack Mindwipe had made, the ice gave out beneath him, making him fall into a pit.

"Haha!" Mindwipe pointed and laughed at Drift's misfortune. Drift put a swift end to the laughter by taking out one his smaller swords, aiming and throwing it, hitting Mindwipe square in the optic. "Ow!"

"Your petty squabble bores me." Thunderwing said. He raised his arms, encosuning them in a purple energy projection, and slammed his fists on the ground, sending out a wave of energy which shook the ground and knocked everyone off their feet.

"Uooogh." Crosshairs groaned as he got to his feet. He turned to his C.O, Magnum. "So what do we do now? How are we supposed to take care of that thing?"

Magnum looked up as a huge shadow fell over the landscape. "I don't think we're supposed to."

"Eh?" Crosshairs looked up. "Oh."

"What's this?" Thunderwing demanded, turning his attention to what was blocking out the sun. An enormous, golden space vehicle, one Thunderwing recognized the design of it.

The ship transformed, its form shifting around and forming stocky, wide legs, with asymmetric arms, one ending in a four-pronged claw, the other in a massive, conical cannon, with artificial, static wings made of steel girders.

"I know you." Thunderwing said. "You're one of the ancient ones. One of the last Cybertronians made while they were rightfully huge, before downsizing and losing touch with the gods that made them."

"I am Omega Supreme." Omega Supreme introduced himself. "I am here to stop you, Servant of Unicron."

"You're here to try!" Thunderwing threw his arms back as he fired a purple laser beam from his mouth. Omega Supreme caught the beam in his claw and arms, holding it back on a quite literal level.

"Omega Supreme." Bludgeon noted. "Clever, Ultra Magnus. Clever."

Ultra Magnus grinned. "What can I say? The guy likes me."

The ground shook beneath them, making Bludgeon and Magnus flail as they struggled to keep their balance on one stabilizing foot each.

"Okay." Ultra Magnus shouted. "New rule! Everybody climb inside the giant golden robot while the two giant robots are fighting!"

The Imperials retreated, grouping around Omega Supreme's leg. Ultra Magnus opened a hatch on the leg, and the Imperials climbed in.

"What do we do?" Mindwipe asked Bludgeon.

"Fall back behind Thunderwing. I suspect this is about to get messy …" Bludgeon said. He and his troops ran to behind Thunderwing.

"So …" Twilight Sparkle asked, as she and the Imperials climbed into Omega Supreme's cockpit, taking seats and watching the fight from behind the glass. "What do we do now that we're in here?"

"Grab a seat, hold on tight … and enjoy the show." Ultra Magnus said.

"What?" Twilight said. "Can't we help him? Do something?"

"Well …" Magnus said. "There might be some manual weaponry in here, if you can find it."

"For your protection, I must ask you to refrain from action within me." Omega Supreme spoke. "This fight is mine alone."

Twilight nodded. "I understand."

Omega Supreme continued to hold back Thunderwing's breath beam, rings of energy travelling along the beam as Thunderwing focused his energy into it. Omega Supreme pushed through, inching towards Thunderwing step by step, until he was near enough to close the distance and give Thunderwing a wallop across the face.

Thunderwing recoiled from the blow, but recovered. He prepared to fire another beam, this one straight into Omega's face. Omega Supreme aimed his cannon and fired, blasting Thunderwing in the chest, with far better success than Ultra Magnus had earlier.

"Grr …" Thunderwing scowled and aimed his arm-cannons, firing rapidly, pelting Omega Supreme with cannon blasts.

The insides of Omega Supreme shook from the blows.

"Are you sure there's not anything we can do?" Twilight Sparkle asked, wincing as her seat rocked.

"Be quiet and let Omega do his thing!" Magnus snapped. "He's got this, even it might not seem like it."

Thunderwing smirked and slashed at Omega with his claw, leaving slash marks over Omega Supreme's face. Thunderwing chuckled at his successful blow, but while he was gloating, Omega Supreme grabbed his wrist inside his four-pronged gripper.

"Huh?" Thunderwing jostled, attempting to wrest his arm free. Omega Supreme smacked Thunderwing in the face with his cannon-arm, then pointed the end of the conical barrel at Thunderwing's face, shooting him point-blank. Smoke and fire billowed from around Thunderwing's head, but the Spawn of Unicron remained standing.

"Rraah!" Thunderwing roared and reached up a claw at Omega Supreme's face, but Omega pulled back, dodging the claw. Omega tugged, before yanking Thunderwing's arm out of its socket. Omega proceeded to swing the arm around and slapped Thunderwing across the cheek with his own dismembered hand.

Thunderwing turned his head back to Omega and fired another beam from his mouth. This one cut straight through Omega's chest, narrowly passing over the Imperials' heads and escaping out Omega's back.

"Hold tight." Ultra Magnus said upon seeing Twilight's despairing look.

Omega Supreme raised his arm and tried to punch Thunderwing again, but Thunderwing fired another beam, bringing it across Omega Supreme's chest. Thunderwing fired beam after beam, each out entering Omega through one side and exiting out the other, leaving Omega covered with smoking holes, cuts, and scorch marks.

"Give it up, old one!" Thunderwing shouted, lunging at Omega with his claw raised. Omega caught Thunderwing by the wrist and held Thunderwing's arm, keeping Thunderwing's claw from connecting.

"You cannot defeat me! You are nothing!" Thunderwing announced, a purple sphere forming in his mouth as he prepared another breath beam.

"Wrong!" Omega Supreme let go of Thunderwing's arm and smashed his own claw into the generator on Thunderwing's right shoulder, destroying it and depriving Thunderwing of some of his power.

"I am Omega Supreme!" Omega lined up his arm-cannon with Thunderwing's chest. A golden sphere formed the tip as Omega charged up power, pouring more energy than normal into this shot. Omega fired, a sideways pillar of gold launching out from his cannon and ripping through Thunderwing's chest, bursting through Thunderwing's back and travelling far into the distance.

Far away, at the Crystal Empire, Cadence, noticing the lights, lifted her head up in curiosity. "What's going on over there?"

Thunderwing let out a gasp, grasping for life and attempting to process his defeat. With a creak of metal, Thunderwing began to topple over.

"Fall back!" Bludgeon turned to his men and ran, realizing they had been standing too close and Thunderwing was about to fall on top of them if they didn't get clear.

Thunderwing hit the ground with a thud, his impact blowing a ring of snow from around him.

"See?" Ultra Magnus said from inside Omega. "I told you he could do it."

"Now to deal with the rest of these Decepticon scum." Omega Supreme announced, converting into vehicle mode and raising up into the air, preparing for a bombing.

Thunderwing looked up at Omega and growled, narrowing his eyes. With his last breath, he poured his energy into his breath weapon, firing a beam at Omega's hull and drawing it from end to end, cutting across all of Omega's body.

Omega Supreme tilted downwards, unable to compensate for the damage. He began to fall. After all, the clean shot of Thunderwing had almost cut him in two.

"What do we do now!?" Twilight Sparkle shouted as they Omega Supreme's descent acquired velocity, falling faster and faster.

"Well, uh …" Ultra Magnus said. "Omega Supreme's vehicle mode was designed at a time before Cybertronians really knew of organics, and wouldn't really understand the need for things squishy organics like oh, I don't know, ejection seats."

"W-what are you saying?" Twilight asked, more of obligation than needing to know. She knew full well what Ultra Magnus was saying.

"I'm saying …" Ultra Magnus said.

"HOLD ON TO YOUR CUTIE MARKS, PONIES! WE'RE GOING DOWN!"

Omega Supreme crashed into the ice, his form crumpling up and crunching as his immobile fell down. The seats in his cockpit rocked and bounced, the seatbelts giving away and launching their occupants all across the bridge of the ship. The last thing Twilight could make out was Fluttershy's hoof reaching for her, as she was the only one of her friends close enough, and the gold and red hues of Omega's body flying by her as she was ejected from her seat and thrown out the window.

Twilight tried to activate the jets in her armor, but they'd been damaged, presumably from scraping up against something inside Omega.

The sight of snow-covered mountain peaks and falling snow around Omega Supreme's body was the last thing Twilight recalled before hitting the ground and getting knocked out.

()()()()() ()()()()

()()()()() ()()()()

Inside a quaint wooden building, a pony woke up on a bed. “Hmm?” She blinked, groaning as her eyes slowly opened. She ran a hoof over her forehead, feeling it covered in bandages. Groggy, she looked around the room and noticed a pony sitting in a chair in front of her.

“Oh, you’re awake! That was quite a nasty fall you had there. I was worried you weren’t going to wake up. You were lucky I was near where you landed and used my magic to teleport you here before you lost too much blood, hmm-hmm!” She chuckled. “I’m Starlight Glimmer. What’s your name?”

“My name?” The pony tapped a hoof to her chin. “I …”

“Yes?” Starlight leaned towards her.

“I don’t remember.” The pony said. “I don’t remember my name.”

“Oh, well!” Starlight said. “Sounds like you’ve got a little case of trauma-induced memory loss. It can happen sometimes once you’ve gotten a big enough blow to your head - and I bet falling from the height you would certainly qualify.”

“Still, we can’t have you walking around without a name.” Starlight got up from her chair and approached the bed. She pulled off the covers and looked at the pony’s Cutie Mark. Without permission, Starlight put a hoof on the Mark. “That’s an interesting Cutie Mark you have there. Why don’t we name you after that until we can figure out your real name.”

“If we figure out my real name.”

“Oh, don’t be such a worrier … Six Star.” Starlight said. “Is that name alright with you?”

Six Star shrugged. “Better than just ‘the pony’ or ‘the stranger’ I guess.”

“Excellent.” Starlight said. “Can you walk? I would love to show you around town.”

“I don’t know … is that a good idea?” Six Star brushed her hoof against her bandages. “Shouldn’t I stay here and wait to recover for a few days? Who knows what other injuries I might have sustained from my fall.”

“I think you’ll find I - I mean, my doctor did an excellent job.” Starlight said. “Why don’t you just try it and see how it goes?”

“Okay …” Six Star muttered. She climbed out from the bed and set her front hooves on the floor. She walked forward, placing her rear hooves on the floor one at a time. Her legs trembled, and she stumbled, but she recovered and was able to walk a few steps away from the bed.

“There. How does it feel?” Starlight asked. “Think you can stand a brief walk around town?”

“Y-yeah.” Six Star said, crossing her legs as they shivered and threatened to give out from underneath. “My legs are shaky, but I don’t feel any blood rushing around my head, so that’s a good sign ... right?”

“Right.” Starlight gave a smile which made Six Star uneasy. “Come on. Let me introduce you to the townsfolk.” Starlight turned and left the room, her tail whipping about in a gesture telling Six Star to come along.
Six Star followed Starlight, going down the stairs and exiting the two-floor building they were in. Six Star was greeted with a tiny town made of identical wooden houses spread across two rows, with each row having an equal amount of housing. The only distinguishing features on any house were some signs advertising products such as baked goods and clothes, and there was another house at the end of rows which was separate from the rest, being centered.

“You’ll find we have all sorts of attractions for you to enjoy in our town.” Starlight said, walking down from the steps of the building.

“What do you call it?” Six Star asked. “Your town, I mean.”

Starlight stopped, her eyes widening. “Eh, I’m sorry? I don’t understand the question.”

“What’s the name of your town?” Six Star asked.

“I don’t think it really has a name.” Starlight said. “It’s just … just our town.” She chuckled. “I think having a name for our town might imply it’s better than other towns, and that promotes inequality. Haven’t you heard of what Manehatten thinks of itself?”

“How do you put it on your maps, then?” Six Star asked. “Surely you need some identifier for ponies looking for your town.”

“Now, Six Star, what makes you think we want to be found?” Starlight asked. “Trust me. Anypony who’s looking for us will be able to find us.”

“Hmm.”

“Let me introduce to you everypony. Everyone!” Starlight called. “Come out! We have a new guest!”

Doors opened all around the neighborhood, and ponies peeked their heads out before walking out and gathering around Starlight and Six Star. Something about having so many ponies looking up at her made Six Star feel nervous … but at the same time, it seemed familar.

“This is Six Star.” Starlight said. “I’ve found her passed out not too far away from our humble village. I used my magic to bring her and help heal her wounds. She’s going to be a guest for a little while until she gets back on her hooves, so I want you all to make her feel welcome. Oh, and be considerate; she’s suffering from some memory loss from taking a hit on the head.” Starlight playfully knocked her hoof against her head.
Six Star grimaced and looked around. “Uh … hello, everypony.” She waved.

“Hello, Six Star!” The ponies chanted back in unison, almost as if they had been rehearsing it.

“Hi there!” A white Earth pony walked up to Six Star and extended his hoof. “I’m Double Diamond. There’s a lot of folks for you to meet here, but the ones you need to know right away are Night Glider, Sugar Belle, and my friend, Party Favor.” Double Diamond pointed to ponies in the audience who walked up as they were called by name. “They’ll help you get situationed in our village, and if there’s anything you need, just ask them.”

“Here.” Sugar Belle offered up a muffin in her hoof. “Try one of my muffins, free of charge. Think of it as a welcoming present.”

“Oh, thank you!” Six Star was flattered and took the muffin from Sugar Belle. “I can hardly remember the last time I ate.” Six Star stuffed the muffin into her mouth. Her eyes widened at its stale, mortar-esque taste. Not wanting to be rude, she chewed it down and gulped.

“Well?” Sugar Belle asked. “What do you think?”

“Um … well … I may not have all of my memories, but I’m pretty sure muffins aren’t supposed to taste like that.” Six Star said. Sugar Belle looked at the ground. “I’m sorry … I didn’t mean to upset you.”

“Oh, it’s fine.” Sugar Belle said. “After all, at least means I’m not any better than anypony else in the village.”

Six Star’s jaw dropped. “How can you say something like that? Just because no else can bake a decent muffin in this entire village means you’re not allowed to, either? How do you get anywhere if you don’t improve? You’re not … accomplishing anything! After all, to succeed is to excel!” Six Star proudly put a hoof to her chest.

Sugar Belle and Double Diamond grimaced and winced, uncomfortable with this kind of talk. They looked at Starlight Glimmer, who was frowning and leering at Six Star. Starlight gestured her head at Double Diamond for him to do something before anypony began to get … ideas.

“Uh, Six Star.” Sugar Belle said. “I can’t help but notice that you have wings.”

“Yes, Six Star.” Starlight said, walking up to Six Star. She ran a hoof along Six Star’s wing. “Where did you get these wings? Aren’t you a unicorn? Are you a Princess, perhaps?”

“Uh, I don’t know.” Six Star tapped her chin. She gave an uncertain glare at Starlight. Growing uncomfortable, she whipped her wing away from Starlight’s grasp. “I mean, I don’t remember if I am a Princess.”

“Oh, well, that’s too bad.” Starlight said. “But ultimately for the better. After all, if you were a Princess, that would mean we would have to treat you like you were better than us common folk, and that would be … unequal.”

“You keep mentioning that.” Six Star raised an eyebrow. “But you wouldn’t have to give me any special treatment. Even if I was a Princess, which I’m not saying, I would still would want you all to treat me like … just another one of the girls.”

The crowd smiled at her.

Six Star glanced between them, looking at Double Diamond and Starlight Glimmer, taking notice of the equal signs on their haunches. “Hey, how come you all have the same Cutie Marks? That’s not supposed to happen.”

“We believe that Cutie Marks represent inequality, so in order to maintain a perfect equilibrium, we give them up and get rid of them.” Starlight explained.

“Get rid of them?” Six Star asked. “If you can remove Cutie Marks, you must have access to some incredibly powerful magic!”

Starlight gave an airy, nervous laugh. She placed a hoof on Six Star’s shoulder. “That’s true, Six Star. But we don’t like Cutie Marks. Isn’t that right?” The entire crowd shook their heads in disapproval. “So could we please stop talking about them?”

“Okay.” Six Star closed her eyes and stared at the ground. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset any of you.”

Starlight lifted Six Star’s head through her chin. “We forgive you. Now, you’ve seen everypony and have Double Diamond to help you if there’s anything you need, so why don’t you go explore the village for yourself a little bit?” Starlight moved to the side. Six Star nodded and walked off.

“Oooh!” Sugar Belle let out a squeal, walking up to Starlight. “She’s adorable, Starlight! Will she stay with us?”

“I don’t know.” Starlight said. “But I’m going to my best to make sure that happens. After all, a pony with a horn and wings would be quite the catch, and would be the first step towards spreading our message of equality through all of Equestria! I’ll see what I can do.” Starlight turned to Sugar Belle with a smile. Sugar Belle returned the smile, and Starlight waved her hoof, dismissing the crowd. “Places, everypony! We want Six Star to feel welcome here. We wouldn’t want her to go to a store and find nopony there.” The crowd dispersed, everypony returning to their normal positions from before Starlight called them.

“So, Six Star!” Starlight came up to Six Star, hooking a leg around Six Star’s shoulders. “What do you think of our little town?”

“It’s … quaint.” Six Star said. “It’s certainly quiet, I’ll give it that, but something worries me. How are you going to thrive if you prevent your citizens from excelling?”

“Oh, Six Star.” Starlight said. “Talent leads to jealousy. Jealousy leads to resentment. Resentment leads to broken friendships, and we wouldn’t want that, would we?”

“Well, no. But still.” Six Star said. “What happens if you expand? You’re going to need somepony to build roads and plan for traffic, and if no pony is better at making and building roads than anypony else, the roads will come out terrible and create crashes!”

“We’ll burn that bridge when we get to it.” Starlight said.

“Okay. Well, um, uh, no, not okay, actually. Bridges burning is exactly what I’m trying to help you avoid.” Six Star said. “And what about your doctors? You seem to be the only capable physician in the town, since you were the one who patched me up, but what happens if you’re out of commision and someone needs a major surgery?”

“You raise some very good points.” Starlight said. “I’ll think about them. But in the meantime, would you come with me?”

Starlight proceed to walk Six Star around the town. “What do you think of Sugar Belle, Six Star?”

“She’s nice.” Six Star said. “I mean, I like her, but I should really get to know her better before I make any judgments.”

“And she likes you, Six Star. For that very reason.” Starlight said. “You’re so … humble and modest. You would fit right in here. Tell me …”

Starlight stopped and stepped in front of Six Star.

“Would you consider moving in?”

Six Star stepped back. “What?”

“Would you considering staying and living with us here in our town?” Starlight asked.

“Gee, I don’t know …” Six Star rubbed the back of her neck. “That’s a big commitment. I haven’t even got my memories back yet. For all I know, there could be ponies counting on me.”

“Oh, please?” Starlight begged. “It doesn’t have to be permanent. Just until your memories come back and you have somewhere else to go.”

“Eh …”

“It would make Sugar Belle very happy.” Starlight said with a smirk.

Six Star looked over her shoulder. She saw Sugar Belle standing in front of her bakery. Sugar Belle noticed Six Star staring at her and gave a big smile and wave to Six Star. It was too much for Six Star to take. She couldn’t say no to such a cute face.

“Okay.” Six Star said. “I’ll stay here with you.”

“Perfect!” Starlight said, coming over to embrace Six Star.

Six Star pushed Starlight away with her hoof, pressing her hoof into Starlight’s chest. “But only to make Sugar Belle happy, and only until my memories come. If they come back… understand?”

Starlight was taken aback by Six Star’s sudden display of resolve. “Of- of course!” Starlight made a note. If Six Star was going to live here, Starlight was going to need to beat this resolve out of her. “Right this way, please, if you would.”

Starlight led Six Star to a wooden shack at the end of the town.

“In here, please.” Starlight gestured to the door.

Six Star went inside, and was quite alarmed when Starlight shut the down behind her.

There wasn’t much inside the building. There was a wooden table, a speaker mounted on the wall, and cobwobs gathered in the corners. This building hadn’t been cleaned in some time.

The speaker buzzed, and Starlight’s voice came out of it.

“Have a seat.”

Six Star did as told, pulling out the chair and sitting at the table.

“Listen closely, Six Star. I want you to repeat after me. In sameness, there is peace.”

“In sameness, there is peace.”

“Exceptionalism is a lie.”

That didn’t sound right to Six Star, but she repeated it anyway. “Exceptionalism is a lie.”

“Free yourself from your cutie mark.”

“Free myself from my Cutie Mark.”

“Choose equality as your special talent. Difference is frustration. To excel is to fail. Be your best by never being your best. Conformity will set you free.”

“Choose equality as my special talent. Difference is frustration. To excel is to fail. Be my best by never being my best. Conformity will set me free.”

Something inside Six Star twitched at the word ‘free’ slipping past her lips.

“Accept your limitations, and happiness will follow.”

“Accept my limitations, and happiness will follow.”

“You're no better than your friend.”
“I am no better than my friend.”

“Your compliance will be rewarded.”

“My compliance will be rewarded.”

“Are you ready to comply?”

Six Star nodded, a wave of sleepiness running over her eyelids. “I am ready to comply.”

Starlight swung the door open.

“Perfect. Come with me, Six Star, and we can get rid of that dreadful, awful Cutie Mark of yours.”

Six Star pushed herself out of her seat and joined Starlight. Starlight led Six Star up to a nearby mountain overlooking the town, leading her up the slope.

“Steep climb.” Six Star commented.

“Yes, isn’t it?” Starlight said.

Starlight led Six Star into a cave at the top of the mountain. Inside the cave was a massive vault, with clear glass panels, each with a different design on them. They sparkled in the darkness, their bright designs even more apparent in the darkness of the cave. Between the three walls was a rock with a wooden staff placed into it, which ended in a two-pronged tip.

“What … is this?” Six Star asked, awed by the massive amount of storage.

“This is our Cutie Mark vault.” Starlight said, lifting the staff up with her magic. “It’s where we keep all our removed Cutie Marks. You didn’t think we just destroyed them, did you?”

“Though granted, I would certainly like to …” Starlight murmured.

“What’s that?” Six Star pointed at the staff.

“This is the Staff of Sameness.” Starlight answered, twirling the Staff around. “It’s one of Meadowbrook’s Nine Enchanted Magical Items. It’s how we rid ourselves of our Cutie Marks.”

Six Star tilted her head. “I thought Meadowbrook had eight magical items?”

Starlight laughed. “Oh, look at you! At this rate, you’ll have all your memories back before the end of the day! But yes, that’s a common misconception. This is Meadowbrook’s secret ninth item. I’m impressed, Six Star.” Starlight said. “Not a lot of ponies around here even know who Meadowbrook is.”

Six Star blushed.

Starlight smiled and pointed the staff at her. “Now, Six Star, are you ready to be equal?”

Six Star nodded. “I am ready to comply.”

“Wonderful.”

Starlight, with an unsettling mad grin, aimed the Staff of Sameness at Six Star. A blue beam of magic traveled up from Starlight’s horn and wound itself around the Staff, firing the blue beam at Six Star.

The beam held Six Star up in the air. She twitched and spasmed, feeling the magic run through. She watched out the corner of her eye as her Cutie Marks were peeled off her body. She winced and closed her eyes. This felt wrong. Unnatural. As if it was ripping off her flesh. As if it was taking out a part of her, an important part, a part she needed. A part she couldn’t live without.

The Cutie Mark traveled through the air before nestling in between the prongs of the Staff. Starlight examined it, grinned, and pointed the Staff at the wall, tossing the Cutie Mark out, where it attached itself to a free glass panel.

“How you feel, Six Star?” Starlight asked.

Six Star shivered. “Hollow. Incomplete. Almost kind of … violated.”

Starlight laughed airily. “I assure you, that feeling will pass. Once you spend some time with the ponies around here, you’ll feel more complete than you ever did!” Starlight walked past Six Star out of the cave. “Now, since you’re new here, you’ll be staying with me in my house for a few days until we get your own cabin built. This way, please.”

Six Star pushed herself out of her seat and joined Starlight. Starlight led Six Star out of the mountain and to her house, but they were waylaid from Starlight’s destination when Sugar Belle came up to them.

“Starlight! Starlight, come quick! We’ve found something! Some kind of … blue ogre or something!”

Starlight gave Six Star an apologetic chuckle. “Excuse me. This’ll just be a minute.”

“Okay.” Six Star. “I’m ready to comply whenever, Starlight!” Six Star gave a smile.

Sugar Belle lead to them to the far end of town, where a massive blue giant rested in the dirt, unconscious. Some of the more daring ponies climbed on top of it to get a better look at its face.

“What is it?”

“Where did it come from?”

“Why does it have three Cutie Marks!?” A pony squealed, pointing to the symbol etched on its shoulders, which was also on its chest.

“Because it’s not a Cutie Mark, it’s an Autobrand, you - you - you troglodytes.” Ultra Magnus said, his optics opening. He sat up. “Get off me.”

The ponies, afraid, did as he told them to.

“Where in the Pit am I?” Ultra Magnus asked, sitting upright. “And make it snappy. I get angry when people don’t tell me things I want to know, and you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.”

“Perhaps I can help?” Starlight said, walking up to the giant. “I’d be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.”

“Good, because I have a lot of them.” Ultra Magnus said, getting to his feet.

“I’m Starlight Glimmer, the leader of this fair town -”

“Twilight!” Ultra Magnus shouted, noticing Twilight Sparkle standing behind Starlight, paying Starlight no attention and walking past her to greet Twilight. “Am I glad to see you! Come on, we need to find and regroup with the others and then put the pressure on Bludgeon before he gets away to try another scheme!”

Ultra Magnus converted into his vehicle mode and went roaring out of the town. It wasn’t until he was some distance away did he realize Twilight Sparkle hadn’t hopped onto the ladder on the side of his vehicle mode as she was supposed to.

Ultra Magnus backed up into the town and stopped beside Twilight. “Twilight, come on!”

Twilight Sparkle went and hid behind Starlight Glimmer. “I … I don’t know you. I don’t recognize you.”

“What?” Ultra Magnus shifted into his robot mode, his parts clicking with frustration.

“It looks like she doesn’t want to go with you.” Starlight commented with a smug grin.

“You … you ...” Ultra Magnus aimed his hammer at Starlight. “You. What did you do to her?”

“I haven’t done anything.” Starlight said. “She has some memory loss, that’s all.” Starlight looked over to Six Star. “So, your name is Twilight Sparkle, huh?”

“I … guess so.” Twilight said. “He seems to recognize me, so.”

“Come on, Twilight!” Ultra Magnus said. “We don’t have time for this. We need to turn up the heat and kick Bludgeon while he’s down.”

“Do you have any idea what he’s talking about, Twilight?” Starlight asked smugly.
Twilight shook her head.

“Bludgeon?” Ultra Magnus asked. “Skull-faced Decepticon samurai, about yea high? Thunderwing? Omega Supreme? You know, Autobots wage their battle to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons? Galloway? The Imperials? Come on! Don’t you remember anything?”

Twilight shook her head. “No. I’m sorry, but … no.”

“What did you do to her?” Ultra Magnus asked, glaring at Starlight. “What did you do to her!?”

“I told you, I haven’t done anything.” Starlight calmly insisted. “If she wants to stay here, we should respect her decision.”

“No, I don’t believe it. I never thought I’d see the day. The day when Twilight Sparkle, hero of two worlds, would hang up her hat to become a - a backwater communist?”

“Actually, it’s more like a cult.”

Starlight stared disapproving at Twilight.

“Sorry. I don’t know where that came from.” Twilight said.

“You don’t remember anything?” Ultra Magnus said.

“Well … I remember what words mean and how to walk and stuff.” Twilight said.

“Not the Autobots? Not Fluttershy or Pinkie Pie? Not even … Optimus Prime?”

Twilight’s heart skipped a beat at the names Ultra Magnus mentioned, but she shook her head. She still didn’t remember anything.

“Well, I say if Twilight wants to stay here, she should be allowed to.” Starlight said. “Don’t worry. I’ll take care of her. I guess this ‘Optimus Prime’ just wasn’t that important to her.”

Starlight’s eyes widened when the head of Ultra Magnus’ hammer slammed down in front of her.

“Listen here, you.” Ultra Magnus said, bending down so he and Starlight were face to face, pointing a finger at her. “My brother was a great mech, a hero. He sacrificed his life so Twilight Sparkle could get away and live. Despite what fiber in my being is telling me, I am willing to try to be diplomatic with you about this. But badmouth my brother’s memory again, and I will burn every house in your village, kill everyone in it, and hold you in my cold, steel hand and make you watch. Do. I. Make. My. Self. Clear?”

Starlight and Twilight stared up at Ultra Magnus with widened eyes and sucked-in mouths as if they had swallowed something sour.

“Crystal.” Starlight said.

“Crystal Ponies!” Twilight spouted, earning her odd looks. “Sorry, it was just … something I remembered. I think my memories are starting to come back.”

“Now.” Ultra Magnus stood up and crossed his arms. “I’m going to leave to try think about how I can bring Twilight Sparkle back to us. Back to herself. I want no funny business, understand?” Ultra Magnus pointed pointedly at Starlight. “You seem like the just the sort of type to try to pull a trick right under my nose, and I’ll not have any of that. You try to pull something, I’ll know and … let’s just say, it won’t end well for you.”

Ultra Magnus heaved his hammer over his shoulder and walked away from them, his metal feet thumping on the ground, leaving a shaken pair of ponies behind in Starlight and Twilight, Starlight shivering in fear. Starlight had never dealt with something like this before.

()()()()() ()()()()() ()

()()()()() ()()()()() ()


“Ugh …” Magnum groaned, resting his hand on the cave wall for support. It was dark, and the only sources of light were the ones coming off their own cybernetic bodies. “Is everyone alright?”

“Been better.” Crosshairs groaned, rolling over onto his cape. “Let me tell, my fashion sense was not the best for this mission.”

“I am well, thank you.” Drift said, moving out from behind a rock.

“I think I’m okay.” Fluttershy rose her head up, rubbing at its soreness. “What happened?”

“Thunderwing got in one last hit on Omega and brought him crashing down.” Magnum said. “The crash sent everyone flying.” Magnum looked to the ceiling of the cave. “We appeared to have landed in a cave. I imagine the others were similarly scattered throughout the land.”

“We should work on finding our way out.” Fluttershy said.

“Good idea, luv, but there’s just one problem.” Crosshairs gestured to the walls. “There is no way out.”

Drift poked at a pile of rocks against one of the walls. “It appears our landing triggered a cave-in. We are fortunate it did not crush us.”

“All well and good, except for the fact it might as well have crushed us if we’re going to be stuck here forever.” Crosshairs complained. He drew his pistol and twirled it, aiming at the wall. “I say we make our own way out.”

“No.” Magnum shouted, grabbing Crosshairs by the wrist before he pulled the trigger. “If us just landing here caused a cave-in, then any display of excessive firepower will likely trigger another one, and we might not get so lucky a second time.”

Crosshairs grumbled, and with some resignation, put his back in its holster.

“It can’t be all bad.” Fluttershy said. “I’m sure our friends are looking for us as we speak. There’s no need to worry.”

A rumble ripped through the cavern floor. The rockslide blocking their way out chattered as another pile of rocks fell from the ceiling, kicking up dust and adding to the size of the rockslide, making any potential way of breaking through much harder.

The four of them stared in shock. Of them, Crosshairs had the most succinct word on the subject.

“Well.”

()()()()() ()()()()() ()()

()()()()() ()()()()() ()()

Starlight and Twilight sat in Starlight’s hut, sipping tea at a table. Twilight stared into her cup of tea in silence, looking disconnected.

“What’s wrong?” Starlight asked. “You’ve barely touched your tea.”
“What’s wrong?” Twilight asked, looking up at Starlight. “Everything is wrong! I woke up in the middle of nowhere with no memories of who I am or used to be, and just as I’m getting adjusted to the idea of staying here and living with you, this robot shows up and tells me I’m needed elsewhere! I don’t know who to trust or what to believe in!”

“Oh, you’re not really still worried about that silly Moltra Agnes -”

“Ultra Magnus.” Twilight snapped, feeling something stir inside, getting the feeling Starlight was getting his name wrong on purpose, and Twilight resented her for it.

“Are you?” Starlight asked.

“Why aren’t you worrying?” Twilight asked. “He threatened to kill everypony in your village!”

“Only if I insulted his brother again.” Starlight said. “Trust me, Twilight. I know how to handle a situation like this. Trust me, as long as I don’t do that, we should be golden, and I can hold all of the cards in my hooves.” Starlight raised up her cup and sipped it before giving Twilight a suspicious glare.

“You do trust me, don’t you? After all, I’ve been nothing but kind to you.”

“Of-of course.” Twilight stammered, Starlight’s glare making her feel guilty for doubting her. “But I still think you’re underestimating Ultra Magnus.”

“Please.” Starlight waved her hoof. “Give me ten minutes, and I’ll play him like a fiddle. Trust me, Twilight, nopony is above the influence of my manipulation - I mean, skills of my persuasion.” Starlight smiled broadly and then sheepishly took another sip of her tea.

Somepony knocked on the door. “Starlight?” Sugar Belle said. “Mister Ultra Magnus is back. He’s asking for you.”

“Showtime.” Starlight said. She and Twilight got out of their chairs, Twilight’s uncertain expression and steps contrasting with Starlight’s self-assured and confident swagger.

The two of them walked out into town, where Ultra Magnus had his arms crossed, tapping his foot to show his trying patience.

“You kept me waiting.” Ultra Magnus said. “Took your sweet time getting here. Now, I don’t know how you do things around here, but back where I come from, when someone’s waiting to meet you, you get out there pronto. You’re stalling, and that makes me suspicious.”

“Why, Ultra Magnus! I’m hurt.” Starlight put a hoof to her chest. “You should learn to trust more.”

“Being distrustful of anyone I didn’t know to their core is how I survived this long.” Ultra Magnus said. “You should learn to be more honest, because I’m not sure what you’re holding back from me … but I can tell it’s definitely something. Now, tell me, Starlight Glimmer … what am I going to have to do to get Twilight Sparkle to leave here with me?”

“You’re going to have to convince her she wants to leave her with you.” Starlight said. She wrapped a hoof around Twilight and pulled her close. “And she doesn’t want to leave, now does she? Why would she? We have everything she needs here.”

“Uh, well …” Twilight stammered.

“Cute, Starlight Glimmer, but cut the act.” Ultra Magnus said. “Your little ‘utopia’ charade isn’t going to fly with me. I’ve spent my life fighting Decepticons. “Deception” is in their name, so your usual tactics aren’t going to work on me. I’m not going to believe anything you say about what Twilight wants unless I hear from Twilight herself. Capichise?”

“Of course.” Starlight said. “Twilight, tell Ultra Magnus you want to stay here.”

“Well, I …” Twilight said. “I don’t know. I don’t remember you, and I haven’t been around this village nearly long enough to decide whether or not I really want to stay here.” Starlight gave a frown.

“Twilight, you need to come back with me.” Ultra Magnus stressed. “You have people, hundreds of people, depending on you. You made a promise, a promise that the Cybertronians and Equestrians would be free to come and go between Equestria, Earth and Cybertron as they pleased. You promised the Vehicons they would be treated more fairly, given more rights, and given a fair say in deciding matters. Your friends are waiting for you. Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Applejack …”

Starlight moved in front of Twilight. “Twilight will have plenty of friends here-”

“Cram it, you.” Magnus snapped. Starlight recoiled, not used to such treatment.
“Twilight, please come back.” Ultra Magnus said. “You’re our leader, Twilight. You’re our guiding star, our moral pillar. When we’re down, you make speeches to pick us back up again. The Autobots need you. Your friends need you. And as painful as this is for me to admit, after - after what happened to Optimus …”

Ultra Magnus crossed his arms and looked away.

“I need you. You’re … so much alike, you remind me of him, and it’s like … he’s not really gone, you know? You keep his memory alive, Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight bit her lip. “I … wow.” She put a hoof to her head. “That’s a lot to take in. I … I need a minute to process all of that.”

Ultra Magnus nodded. “Take your time.”

“I’ll help Twilight get accustomed to all the enormous responsibility you’re putting on her.” Starlight said.

“Uh-huh. Sure you will.” Ultra Magnus said. “And I’m the Prince of Candyland.”

“In the meantime, we’ll sit down and drink tea so she can relax.”

“That tea better not have something in it.” Ultra Magnus said. “I’m warning you, Starlight, if I figure you’re doing anything to her … I’m not going to be a happy camper.”

Starlight nodded, though she didn’t seem to take Ultra Magnus’ warning at face value. She walked Twilight away, back to her hut.

“We’re counting on you, Twilight!” Ultra Magnus shouted as they left.

Twilight looked back at him over her shoulder before turning to her front. “Gosh. It sounds like I’m kind of a big deal.”

“It does, doesn’t it?” Starlight said.

“I had no idea I could be so important.” Twilight said. “I’m just … me, you know?”

“That’s right.” Starlight said, wrapping a hoof around Twilight. “And that is exactly the kind of thinking we need around here, Twilight. You’re not better than anypony else. You’re equal. You should stay with us. If you go with Ultra Magnus, he’ll insist that you’re better than some ponies, and that would be … unequal.” Starlight’s voice dropped when she said ‘unequal.’

Twilight stopped, and it took Starlight a few steps before she realized Twilight wasn’t following her.

“But Starlight … what if I am better than some ponies? What if I am unequal?” Twilight asked. “I talked to you about roads and doctors, right? Well, what if, instead of medicine or traffic, I have a specialty in leadership?”

“Oh, no, no no!” Starlight said, rushing up to Twilight and putting a hoof on her cheek. “Don’t talk like that, Twilight. That’s crazy talk. No, you’re as equal as any one of us, and for that, you should stay here.” Starlight looked around. She grabbed Twilight’s hoof and dragged Twilight back to her cabin. “Can I tell you a little … secret?”

“Sure.”

“You’re so good with magic, Twilight.” Starlight said. “And so smart, too. You’re like the sister I never had.”

“You’re like the sister I never had!” Twilight exclaimed. The two of them chuckled.

“Exactly.” Starlight nodded. “So it would be a crime if you were to leave. After all, what if your family is missing or gone? You don’t know where they’ve been. They could have forgotten about you! And then you’d be out a family … and I’d be out a sister.” Starlight placed a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder

Twilight looked down at the ground.

“Promise me you’ll stay?” Starlight said.

Twilight looked up, gave a sheepish smile, and nodded. “I’ll stay.”

“Wonderful! Let’s go tell Ultra Magnus the great news!”

Starlight led Twilight back out and brought her to Ultra Magnus.

“Well?” Ultra Magnus asked.

“I’m afraid I have some bad news for you, Ultra Magnus.” Starlight said. “Twilight Sparkle has decided to stay.”

Magnus glared at Twilight. “Twilight, is this true?”

Twilight closed her eyes and nodded. “Yes. I’m afraid so. I’m sorry.”

Ultra Magnus clenched his teeth, raising a fist. “You - you!” He pointed at Starlight. “I don’t know what kind of drug you’ve been slipping Twilight, I don’t know what kind of nonsense you’ve been selling her, but it can’t have been anything good. Twilight would never turn her back on her friends. You did something to her. I don’t know what, but you did something.” Ultra Magnus waved his hand and turned around.

“Forget it. I don’t have time to figure out what you did right now. I need to find the others, and then I’ll be back and we’ll figure out what it is by putting our heads together. And another thing, Starlight … if you’re so emotionally dependent on what others, you have to emotionally manipulate everyone who comes into your village into staying, you will never be happy. Because you’ll be constantly trying to keep them under your thumb, and one day, somepony is going to fed up and leave, and you won’t be able to handle it, and your entire empire will come crashing down.”

Ultra Magnus began to walk away from the village, waving goodbye over his head. The veins in Starlight’s neck bulged, she was so enraged by Ultra Magnus’ comment. To threaten to come back with reinforcements was one thing, but how dare he suggest she didn’t have complete control over everypony and everything which went on inside her village.

Her horn crackling, before Twilight Sparkle could stop her, Starlight fired a bolt of magic lighting at Ultra Magnus. It entered through his back and ripped through, bursting out of his chest and knocking him down to his hands and knees, smoke rising up from the hole Starlight had blown in him.

Twilight was alarmed, while Starlight smiled, satisfied with herself.

At least until Ultra Magnus rose up to his feet. He whipped around, aiming his boomstick at Starlight, his eyes filled with fury.

“YOU WANNA DANCE, LITTLE PONY?”

Ultra Magnus growled, bracing his finger against the trigger. After a minute of a tense standoff between him and Starlight, Ultra Magnus chuckled and took his finger off, lifting his weapon up.

“Hahaha … no. No, you’d like that, wouldn’t you?” Ultra Magnus asked. “It’ll help your narrative. The brave Starlight Glimmer, sacrificing herself against the big, bad blue ogre who threatened her village and proving she was right about the dangers of inequality or whatever. It’d make you a martyr to your cause. I’m not going to do that. I’m not going to give you the ammunition you need to justify yourself. Here’s what I am going to do.”

Ultra Magnus brought his weapon down.

“You are going to give me Twilight Sparkle. That is not a request. That is a declaration of fact. For every hour that you don’t, I will kill one pony inside your village.”

To prove he wasn’t bluffing, Ultra Magnus turned his cannon on Double Diamond, who backed away, his jaw dropping.

“Starting now.”

Ultra Magnus pulled the trigger. An incendiary shell launched from the barrel, landing in front of Double Diamond. The explosion shook the ground, a fireball burning in the middle of the town. Clouds of smoke billowed out until they faded, showing Double Diamond was no more. All which was left of him were scorch marks on the ground he once stood. The rest of the townspoines put their hooves to their mouths and gasped.

Starlight and Twilight stared in shock and disbelief, their jaws dropped, though Starlight’s hung out further than Twilight’s. With her jaw still hanging, Starlight moved her eyes to look at Ultra Magnus.

Ultra Magnus stared back with cold, impassive eyes. Without a word or any hint of emotion on his face, he turned around, throwing his weapon over his shoulder, and walked out of the village.

For him, it was just another causality. Nothing to get choked up about.

None of the ponies dared try to stop him, and any pony who was in his path gasped and fled for their lives, running to the nearest hiding place, be it the inside of a barrel or under a table.

()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()

“I can’t believe that just happened. I can’t believe that just happened!” Starlight paced around her kitchen, struggling to accept the events she had witnessed had been real. “Double Diamond was my friend! He was one of the first ponies I brought to our town! He helped found it! And Ultra Magnus just - just shot him like he was nothing!”

Twilight was less shaken up about it. Not to say she wasn’t shaken up, of course. She was upset by Double Diamond’s death, but she felt … numb to the ordeal. As if she had been here before. “Starlight, I’m sorry, but … these things happen.”

“These things happen? My best friend was just blown to pieces, and all you can say is these things happen?” Starlight snapped. “Where you have been, Twilight Sparkle, where you can just shrug this off and say ‘these things happen’!?”

Twilight shrugged. “I don’t know.”

Starlight glared at Twilight, fuming, grinding her teeth.

Twilight glanced out the window. “It’s getting late. We should go to bed and … try to get to some sleep. We can talk more about this in the morning.”

Starlight seemed as if she wanted to keep being angry, but she took in a deep breath and exhaled. “Fine.”

The two of them went to their own beds in separate rooms.

Twilight closed her eyes and tried to sleep. She couldn’t rest easy. She kept hearing voices. Something was … whispering to her.

“Twilight Sparkle … we need you.”

Before long, there was a crash.

Starlight opened the door, rubbing at her sleepy eyes. “Ugh … Twilight, I’m upset, too, but I need some sleep. You can’t just go around throwing things that don’t belong to yooou OH!” Starlight exclaimed and recoiled.

“What?” Twilight bolted upright. “What is it?”

Starlight pointed at the corner of the room.
A lamp had fallen and broken into several pieces. What was more alarming, however, was the pieces rising into the air, held by a dark blue aura, and launching into the wall. The wall creaked and groaned as the pieces moved, carving a message into it. Two words, written large so they could be seen clearly.

Semper Tyrannus.

“Semper Tyrannus?” Starlight asked. “What does that mean?”

“It means ‘As always unto tyrants.’” Twilight answered without even having to think about it.

Starlight stared, worry spreading across her face. She hoped the message wasn’t referring to her and her village. Shaken up for a second time, she closed the door and went back to bed.

Twilight stared at the message, trying to figure out why the words seemed so familiar to her. Unable to puzzle it together, she rolled over and went back under her covers, thinking she would investigate it more tomorrow.

()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()


Night Glider, Sugar Belle, and Party Favor gathered together at the edge of town. They grimaced, worrying what Starlight would think of them doing something without her approval. But they had to do this, and they knew Starlight would never give them permission. For their friend. For Double Diamond.

Venturing outside the town for the first time in years, they walked around, eventually finding their target - Ultra Magnus.

Ultra Magnus laid by some rocks, bracing his head on a pillow made from his hands, his eyes closed and resting.

They couldn’t believe it. He had killed their friend not too long ago, and here he was, resting as if nothing had happened.

Sugar Belle couldn’t take it anymore. Snapping, she charged up to Ultra Magnus, despite Party Favor’s protests.

“Sugar Belle, wait! We should have a plan!”

Sugar Belle had a plan - to give this no-good ogre a piece of her mind. She ran up to his leg and banged on it with her hooves.

“Hmm?” Ultra Magnus barely opened his optics.

“Give us our friend back, you - you bully!” Sugar Belle shouted, pounding on Magnus’ leg, the blows of her hooves doing nothing more than irritate Magnus’ mesh.

“Huh?” Ultra Magnus asked as Party Favor and Night Glider walked up to him, looking sheepish. “Oh, right, right. You three. Hang on a minute ...”

Ultra Magnus reached behind his back. A rattling noise came behind him, a pipe and a spare lug nut falling out from behind him. After a minute of searching, he produced Double Diamond, holding him by the tail.

“Hey.” Ultra Magnus said. “Hey, snowflake! Naptime’s over. Time to wake up.” Magnus put a finger to Double Diamond’s chin and rocked it.

“Wha-huh?” Double Diamond asked, his eyes blinking out. He saw his friends. “Guys!”

“Double Diamond!” Sugar Belle exclaimed as Ultra Magnus put Double Down down on the ground. Sugar Belle hugged him. “You’re alive!”

“But … how?” Party Favor asked.

“When I shot Double Diamond, I shot the ground in front of him.” Ultra Magnus said. “The shock wave from the explosion knocked him, and I used a good bit of sleight of hand to grab him from the smoke before anyone noticed. It was easy, too, given how shocked everypony was. I never actually killed him. I’m not that big of a jerk. My plan was to pull this same trick until Starlight relented to my demands, but, well … there’s no reason you three should have to suffer just because your leader is a jerk.”

“Starlight’s not a jerk!” Sugar Belle said.

“Oh?” Ultra Magnus said. He pointed at him. “It’s funny to me that you think that. Keeping you all equal and repressed and unfulfilled doesn’t make her a jerk?”

“Hey! We live … very fulfilling lives.” Sugar Belle said, but her voice lacked conviction or passion, her eyes drifting towards the ground.

“Uh-huh. Sure you do. Keep lying to yourself, telling yourself you’re happy here, not able to do anything except what Starlight Glimmer tells you.” Ultra Magnus said. “But I can see it in your eyes. You’re oppressed. You want more from live. You want to go out there and explore yourselves and the world. You want to succeed, to excel.”

Right as the four of them were buying into what Ultra Magnus was selling, as they getting their curiosity was piqued, two bolts of blue-colored lightning flew in from almost nowhere, crossing each other and striking Ultra Magnus in the chest, electrocuting him and digging two tiny holes into his chest.

Ultra Magnus fell on to his back, while the four ponies looked back to see Starlight and Twilight with their horns smoking.

“I’m sorry.” Twilight said, reacting to their shocked looks. “But Starlight convinced he needed to be detained and neutralized for the greater good.”

“Double Diamond!” Starlight exclaimed, running up to Double Diamond and hugging. “You’re alive! But how? Oh, that doesn’t matter now. All that matters is that you’re alive … and you’re safe.” Starlight’s single tear of joy dripped onto Double Diamond’s shoulder.

Twilight, feeling remorseful, walked up to the side of Ultra Magnus, lying low and remaining cautious. She reached his face, where his optics glared down at her, full of hate and fury.

“Traitor …” Ultra Magnus wheezed out, before his optics shut.

Twilight stared at the ground, unable to tell how, but believing, no, knowing Ultra Magnus was right.

She was a traitor. She betrayed him. And she betrayed … someone or something else, too, but she couldn’t remember what it was.
Starlight came over and wrapped a leg around Twilight’s shoulder. “Good work, Twilight Sparkle! This will really help everypony in the village to relax!” Starlight nuzzled Twilight’s shoulder, but all her words accomplished was making Twilight feel worse than she already did.


()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()

()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()


Starlight dragged Ultra Magnus up to the Cutie Mark vault and imprisoned him within it, creating a light-blue force field in front of the cave to seal him in, and levitating large boulders in front of the field as a second barrier, piling them up and leaving a tiny window for Ultra Magnus to see and look through.


Twilight observed all of this and raised an eyebrow, thinking it odd Starlight could pull off such magic when she didn’t have a Cutie Mark or special talent in it.

When the barricade was completed, Ultra Magnus poked his head through the window, having recovered.

Starlight looked at him, an unbearable smug smirk on her face. She best hope Ultra Magnus didn’t escape, because he would all too happy to punch the smirk off.

Starlight turned to Twilight. “You did good work helping me bring him in, Twilight.”

“Yeah …” Twilight wilted as Starlight left. “‘Good’ …”

Twilight walked up to the rock pile. She and Ultra Magnus stared at each other. Twilight shifted her eyes, wrought with guilt.

“I just want you to know, I’m sorry about all this.” Twilight said.

“Save it.” Ultra Magnus held up his hand. “I don’t want to hear it.”

Twilight closed her eyes and nodded. She turned and left, walking down the mountain.

Ultra Magnus backed away from the wall. He raised up his fist and attempted to punch through the force field, but his hand was insufficient to make a crack, and Starlight, for all her idiocy, had the sense to take away his hammer before locking him up.

Ultra Magnus let out a sigh. He looked around and saw the Cutie Marks glued in place on the wall.

“I wonder why Starlight left me in here with those unprotected. Then again, even if I did smash them, it’s not like it would do anything, would it?”

Ultra Magnus walked over the side of the cave, resting his back against the wall and crossing his arms. He looked down at his arm.

He raised his arm, pressing a button which deployed a panel, beneath which there was a communications array. Ultra Magnus hoped he could get a signal out through the cave’s interference.

“This is Ultra Magnus, leader of the Wreckers.” Ultra Magnus spoke into the panel. “If anyone can hear this broadcast, trace this signal back to its source. I’ve been imprisoned by a crazy pony inside of a mountain and am in need of rescue.”

Ultra Magnus prepared to repeat the message, not expecting anyone to pick it up on the first pass. He was willing to do this for as long as it took, but he got a reply back sooner than he was expecting.

“We can hear you, Ultra Magnus.”

Slag. Ultra Magnus thought. Steeljaw’s silky voice coming through the comm was not what he wanted to hear.

“We’ll be sure to rescue you … right after we’ve had our fun with the pony in question.” Steeljaw said. He had to rub it in Ultra Magnus’ face. “Don’t worry. Help is on the way.

The comm buzzed with static, Steeljaw ending the transmission.

“Slag.” Ultra Magnus swore again. He ran up to the cave’s sealed-off entrance and began pounding on the walls. “Starlight! Starlight Glimmer!”

Starlight turned her head around to look at him. She rolled her eyes before walking up to the vault. She would indulge Magnus in one conversation.

“You have to let me out of here. Right now.”

Starlight laughed. “And why would I do that?”

“Decepticons are on their way.” Ultra Magnus said. “They’ll destroy your village before moving on to me next.”

“Uh-huh.” Starlight nodded. “Sure they will. How can I be sure this isn’t just some ploy to get me to let you out so you can escape with Twilight Sparkle?”

Ultra Magnus banged his fists on the cave, causing some rocks to fall. “Damn it, Starlight Glimmer! Get over your paranoia and your desire to maintain your hold over your victims at all costs for one slagging minute and listen to me! The Decepticons on their way, and with you having done … whatever it is you did to Twilight Sparkle, I am the only one in a fifty-mile radius who can fight them for you. You think I’m bad? The Decepticons are so, so much worse. I threatened to burn your village down and kill everyone inside.”

“Yes, I remember.” Starlight said with bitterness.

“The Decepticons won’t even warn you. They’ll just do it, and the only warning you’ll get is the flames burning and their leader presenting you with Double Diamond’s severed head on a pike before doing the same thing to you.”

“Sure he will.” Starlight said. “You’ll understand, Ultra Magnus, if I’m not inclined to believe anything you say. In fact, given your past behavior, I’m inclined to believe whatever you say about the Decepticons, the opposite is true. I’m sure they’re reasonable envoys of peace, and I look forward to meeting them.” Starlight turned away from him. “It’s a shame. Maybe if you behaved a little better, you might have had a chance to join our little village, but now that will never be the case. You could have been happy here, just like Twilight Sparkle.”

Starlight proceeded to walk away from Ultra Magnus, walking down the mountain.

“Damn it all, Starlight, listen to me! YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO ME! YOUR VILLAGE IS GOING TO BE DESTROYED! PONIES ARE GOING TO DIE! YOUR PONIES, YOUR FRIENDS ARE GOING … TO … DIE!”

“Goodbye, Ultra Magnus!” Starlight gave a flippant flip of her mane.

Ultra Magnus grit his teeth, digging his fists into the cave wall. He turned around and sat in the cave.

Fine. If she won’t care about them dying, why should I?

()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()()

()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()()

Twilight Sparkle, overwhelmed and overburdened, went inside Starlight's hut.

Unsure how to process the events of the day, Twilight came to the conclusion she should take a nap to rest. She went into her room, climbed under her covers, and puffed out a great big sigh before closing her eyes.

It wasn't long before she fell asleep and had a dream.

Twilight was standing in a field of some kind. Fog was everywhere, coming up to her knees. She looked around and gasped upon seeing outer space in the sky. Stars and distant suns and plants no more than a stone's throw from her.

Her face lit up, overjoyed at the prospect of getting to study one of her favorite subjects, astronomy, up close and personal. Her joy was washed away when she looked down and saw a tall, dark figure standing before her.

He was huge, massive. The same species as Ultra Magnus, thought Twilight could feel something was different about him. His body was black and grey, his shoulders wide and broad, and he clutched a spear within his clawed hand, his face obscured by a mask with glowing blue slits for eyes, his adorned with a crown of horns.

"Who - who are you?" Twilight asked.

"You are too important to risk losing, Twilight Sparkle." The figure boomed at her in a deep voice. "See what Starlight Glimmer is doing to you. Wake up."

"Huh?"

"Wake up!"

The figured charged at her, dragging the tip of his blade along the ground. Twilight ran to get out of the way, the spear's tip almost grazing her tail.

The figure, realizing he missed, stopped and turned around.

"I-I'm sorry." Twilight Sparkle said. "I don't know who you are, or what it is you want me to do."

"I want you to come to your senses."

The figure reared up his weapon.

"I want you to fight back."

The figure ran at her, twirling his blade. Reaching her, he raised his weapon up and brought it down on her, where ducked and rolled away to avoid it.

"How?" Twilight asked. "How am I supposed to fight back? You're so much bigger than I am!"

"That's never stopped you before."

The figure sliced his weapon the air and pointed his menacing weapon at Twilight. He paused and sheathed the blade.

"Whew! Thank you." Twilight wiped her brow. "I'm not sure I could have kept that up -"

The figure raised up his arms, and purple energy swirled around vents on the side of them. He opened fire, blasting Twilight Sparkle with an explosive shell made of pure energy, the impact sending her skidding across the ground.

"Who are you?" The figure asked, advancing towards her while continuing to fire.

"I'm Twilight Sparkle!" Twilight answered, galloping to avoid his lasers.

"What are you?"

"I'm a pony! A unicorn! With wings!"

"What else?" The figure demanded, stopping and aiming one of his cannons square at her, holding her dead to rights.

Twilight jumped back, avoiding the shell and resultant explosion of energy which landed in front of her. "I'm - I'm Starlight Glimmer's adopted sister!"

"No." The figure answered, depowering his cannons and pulling out his spear again. With lightning fast speed, he charged at her, bowling her over with the tip of his boot, knocking her onto her back. He aimed his spear at her neck.

"Fight back."

"I … I don't know that I can."

"Yes, you can. And your insistence that you can't is beginning to infuriate me." The figure said. He raised up his weapon and pointed it down. "I am about to kill you, Twilight Sparkle. Fight back."

"I … I …" Twilight panted, her breath growing short, her body shaking with panic.

"Consider this." The figure said. "Do you know who I am?"

"I …"

The figure brought his weapon down.

As the blade came hurtling towards her throat, muscle memory and instinct flooded back to Twilight. She narrowed her eyes. Focusing on the figure's head, she calculated her shot and fire a sphere of magic from her horn, striking him in the face and knocking him back as he shouted.

"I am Twilight Sparkle, newly-crowned Princess, student of Princess Celestia, leader of the Autobots Imperial, and you …"

Twilight rose up to her hooves and glared at him with renewed intensity, a passion, a fire waking up inside her. Her memory clicked back into place, and she had a name for the figure who was tormenting her.

"You're the Fallen. You're Megatronus."

The Fallen laughed. The mask covering his face drew up, splitting into ornaments on his forehead while revealing his silver, red-eyed bearded face. "Yes. Very good! You know my name. Now what am I?"

"You're Megatronus Prime, one of the legendary Thirteen Primes who were said to have battled Unicron and served Primus in the early days of the planet Cybertron."

Megatronus laughed again. "Yes, yes." He smirked. "Keep going."

"According to legend, you turned on your fellow Primes and fell into a dark contract with Unicron, your natural affinity to chaos drawing you into the Chaos God's service. Others say that you killed one of your own in a fight of rage. I could go on, but I think I've made my point."

Megatronus frowned. He gazed wistfully into the distance. "Yes … it is true my fellow Primes have suffered at my hands. But I promise you, I have not had any dealings with Unicron or any of his kin."

"Okay." Twilight Sparkle said. "I'll choose to believe you, for the moment. But now that I've gotten a little bit of my memory back, I have a few questions."

"I will do my best to answer." Megatronus smiled at her.

"What … is this place?" Twilight gestured around.

"This is the Realm of the Primes." Megatronus said. "It is where we go when we die. It is where we go when we wish to have some time to ourselves, and it is where we go to train. It allows us to cheat death and exist outside of the normal flow of space and time and life and death."

"O … kay." Twilight said. "Why have you brought me here?"

"To reawaken you." Megatronus said. "Only a very select few ever get to see, much less visit, the Realm of the Primes, Twilight Sparkle. You should feel honored. But to answer your question, it was to rescue you from the clutches of Starlight Glimmer and her behavioral conditioning and brainwashing." Megatronus pointed a finger at her. "You have an important role to play in the shape of events to come. Too important for us to allow losing you to a small-minded petty dictator like Starlight Glimmer."

"Us?"

"My fellow Primes and I." Megatronus said.

"I don't understand." Twilight put a hoof to her chest. "Why me? What makes me so special?"

"Because you, Twilight Sparkle, have done something few have." Megatronus said. "You were possessed by Unicron himself, and survived after, with your soul and will intact. That makes you uniquely qualified for … certain services. Services which my fellow Primes and I will have need of soon. Now, if they are no more questions ..."

Megatronus turned his back and walked away, the fog coalescing around him.

"Wait!" Twilight reached out her hoof. "I have one more question. Why only just now? Why, if I'm so important to this grand scheme you have, are you only communicating with me now? Why only now take action?"

"Why, Twilight …" Megatronus turned back to her. "We've been communicating with you since you formed the Imperials. You're a smart pony, Twilight. You discovered the Omega Lock, did you not? And even you yourself realize how unlikely it is you found such an a legendary marvel by accident … don't you?"

Twilight's eyes bugged out of her head as she put two and two together and realized the implications of what Megatronus was saying.

The fog continued to bunch up around Megatronus, obscuring him from sight.

"Farewell for now, Twilight Sparkle! From this moment on, we'll be in much more direct contact."

Twilight raised her hoof for him not to go, before realizing it was useless to try to get Megatronus to stay. She accepted it as the fog increased around the Realm and covered her body.

()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()()() ()()()

At the outskirts of the town, Steeljaw's Pack marched into view, the snowy winds blowing across their chests. The ponies of the town gathered around to watch them, fearful of them after what happened with the last Cybertronian they encountered.

Starlight walked forward to greet them, confident in her judgment and sure these "Decepticons" meant no harm.

Steeljaw walked his Pack up to the edge of the town, where the ponies could see them, before raising his claw and signaling for them to halt.

"Why, hello there!" Starlight went forward and introduced herself. "I'm Starlight Glimmer, and this is my - our town. What can I do for you promising gentlemen?"

Steeljaw raised his eyebrow. "You don't seem to be terribly afraid of us."

"I'm given to understand that you four are reasonable gentlemen."

"I see. And how did you reach that conclusion?"

"Simple. Ultra Magnus told me about you, and after his actions, whatever he said about you, I assume the opposite to be true."

Steeljaw laughed. "Hahaha! A promising source, if there was one."

"Hey." Thunderhoof said. "How come youse ponies all got the same butt stamp? I thought there was unwritten rule against that or sumthin'.

"Thunderhoof, don't be rude." Steeljaw said. "It's not a stamp, it's a Cootie Mark."

"Cutie Mark." Sugar Belle corrected him.

Steeljaw stared at her. "That's what I said. Cootie Mark."

"No, no, you're saying Cootie Mark. It's Cutie Mark."

"Cootie Mark." Steeljaw said, trying to correct his pronunciation.

"Cutie Mark."

Steeljaw lost his temper. "There are the exact same! There is no difference! They are phonetically identical!" Steeljaw sighed, burying his head into his claws as he tried to calm down. He lifted his head and was quick to change the subject. "So, how about the negotiations being?"

"Negotiations?" Starlight asked with some worry.

"Thunderhoof, this is your specialty." Steeljaw gestured to the town. "Why don't you do it?"

"Sure." Thunderhoof walked up to one of the huts, resting his arm against the roof. "This is a pretty nice house you've got here. Nice town."

"Thank you." Starlight nodded.

"Be a shame if there were to be an … accident." Thunderhoof said.

"A shame." Fracture repeated.

Thunderhoof winded up his fist and punched the hut, punching a hole through the roof.

"Hey!" The owner protested.

"Aww, would you like at that." Thunderhoof gushed, his voice laced with false sympathy. "Some mook went up and messed up your perfectly good house! Now, if you were to pay me and my boys a little, heh-heh, protection money …" Thunderhoof rubbed his fingers together. "We might be able to keep little accidents like this from happening."

Starlight grimaced, realizing she might have tried to bite off more than she could. These Decepticons were nowhere near as reasonable as she thought they would be.

"What do you want?" Starlight asked. "What do you really want? Because I doubt you came all the way out here just to shake us for protection money. We're in a geographically inconvenient location. Sure, there's nopony but ourselves for police and protection, but I doubt your base is anywhere conveniently close enough to use us as a regular source of income."

Steeljaw let out a laugh from his belly. "Well reasoned, Starlight Glimmer! I'm glad you asked. We don't want much, really. Just a few things. First, we want everypony in your town to swear that will not, now or in the future, stand in the way of the Decepticon cause. Second, we want you to bring us Ultra Magnus. Third, I want you, Starlight Glimmer, to swear your allegiance to the Decepticons."

"Okay …" Starlight said.

"And I want you to prove it. By executing Ultra Magnus in front of everypony yourself."

All the ponies in the town gasped.

Starlight gulped. "W-will that be all?"

Steeljaw nodded.

"Um …" Starlight rubbed the back of her neck. "Could we … have a couple of minutes to talk about it between ourselves? This is an awfully big commitment, after all."

"Of course." Steeljaw nodded. "But don't take too long. My friend here is quick to get hungry and has a big appetite." Steeljaw gave a knowing glance towards Underbite.

"I don't normally eat organic and plant stuff." Underbite said. He reached a curious paw towards the damaged hut. "But I might be persuaded to make an exception."

"Eh-heh. Charming." Starlight said. "Okay, everypony, back this way so we can talk!"

Starlight directed the ponies towards the back of the town. Steeljaw grinned before leading his pack away from the town's front, though not too far, to give them a false sense of security.

Starlight gathered all the ponies behind a house, making sure they were in shadow.

"Hey." Twilight said, walking up to Starlight Glimmer, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "I just had the strangest dream … hey, what's going on?"

"Twilight! I'm glad you're here." Starlight said. "Listen carefully, because everypony needs to hear this."

Starlight turned to the crowd.

"Alright, everypony." Starlight Glimmer said. "I hate to do this. I hate to have to ask you to leave your homes and the lives we've built here. Does everypony remember our evacuation procedures that we practiced?"

This was met with cries of disbelief from the ponies.

"What?"

"No!"

"Starlight, we can't!"

"We have to." Starlight said. "It's the only way."

"Only way to what?" Twilight asked. "Will somepony please explain to me what's going on here?"

"There's a Decepticon out there." Starlight Glimmer said. "He's threatened the village unless I turn over Ultra Magnus and execute myself, and as I much as I resent Ultra Magnus for disturbing our peace and tranquility, I … I'm not sure I have that in me. So the only recourse of action is to evacuate everypony in the village to the mountains. You're new here, Twilight, so you haven't been trained in our evacuation protocols. Just follow my lead and be find."

Starlight gestured to the crowd. "Go to your houses and avoid being detected. Grab everything you need, and only get what you want to take with you if you can do it without being noticed."

The ponies, though saddened and with downturned heads, nodded and spread out to follow Starlight's instructions.

"That shouldn't be too hard." Twilight said in a dry voice. "It's not like there's anything in this village for them to care about."

Starlight looked at her in shock. "What did you just say?"

Twilight recoiled. "Nothing."

Starlight glared at her. "Good. Keep it that way. Go to the hut and grab anything you think we need. Food, water, jars ..."

Twilight, feeling resentful of Starlight's overreaction to her offhand remark, regarded Starlight with contempt before going to do as she asked.

As the ponies packed up and began marching out away from their village to the south, the mass of moving ponies was noticed by Fracture.

"Those ponies are moving." Fracture observed. "It looks like they're trying to run away. Are we gonna stop them?"

"No." Steeljaw gestured to the sun. "The day is long. There's still plenty of potential. Let them run. It won't affect our long-term plans. Our endgame is to get Starlight Glimmer on our side."

"And if we can't?" Fracture asked.

Steeljaw shrugged. "Hmm. Well, sometimes you have to determine ... acceptable losses." A glint formed in his yellow, canine eye.

Up ahead on the path to the mountains, Twilight carried a few bags and followed behind Starlight, instructed to stay close to Starlight for safety. As they got further down the snow-covered bridge, Twilight began to feel a sense of unease. Something was wrong about this.

This wasn't her. This wasn't what she would do in this situation. She could feel it in her bones, like old wounds acting up when reminded of the situations in which they were inflicted. And what was up with Starlight snapping at her a moment ago? She couldn't handle a little criticism? This wasn't her response to Decepticons, it was Starlight's.

Twilight thought back to what Megatronus said. Feeling a font of courage open up inside for what felt like the first time in years, Twilight threw the bags she was carrying to the ground.

"We can't run."

The rest of the ponies gasped.

Starlight turned to Twilight, giving an airy laugh. "Twilight, what are you doing?"

"We can't run." Twilight repeated. "We have to stay and fight."

The ponies gasped again, louder than before.

"Twilight." Starlight said. "Think about what you're saying!" Starlight reached a hoof to comfort Twilight's shoulder, but Twilight slapped it away. "We can't fight them."

Twilight narrowed her eyes.

"How do you know?"

"Well, uh, um, because, because, um … they're big! And scary." Starlight said. "We can't fight them. They'll stomp all over us! And even, assuming, for one ridiculous minute, that we did decide to go fight them, how would we?"

"I don't know, but we won't know until we try." Twilight said. "But we can't run. You think the Decepticons will just let us leave? You don't think they'll try to track us down and hunt us until they get what want? If you think you can just slip into the mountains and forget all about the Decepticons and think they'll forget about us, you are sadly mistaken."

Twilight turned to the crowd. "We have to stay and fight. We have to stand our ground. These Decepticons? They're bullies, and you don't stop a bully by running away from them. You stop them by standing up to them."

"Twilight Sparkle, I think those bags have gotten too heavy for you." Starlight said with firmness in her voice.

Twilight ignored her. "Do you have no sense of self-preservation? Is there not one among you here who will stand up and try to fight?"

"Twilight Sparkle, that is enough!" Starlight Glimmer stomped her hoof, snorting and huffing. "We are evacuating, not fighting, and that is final!"

Twilight glared at Starlight. "What is with you, Starlight? Can't you see the Decepticons aren't going to leave you alone? They'll hunt us! They'll hunt you! That's what they do!"

"You seem to know an awful lot about what Decepticons do for a pony who's lost her memory."

"Well, it's coming back to me." Twilight said. "What is with you, Starlight Glimmer? Are you afraid? I know, it's a scary prospect, staring down Decepticons, but you have to get over your fears."

Twilight turned back to the crowd. "What will you do? Will you stand up, band together, and fight? Or let the Decepticons slaughter you like the sheep you are?"

"Wait." Twilight said. "That's it. Sheep." She turned back to Starlight. "You're not afraid of facing the Decepticons. You're afraid, if everypony gets together to fight the Decepticons, you're afraid they might grow a spine and start to question you. You're afraid they'll re-evaluate their thoughts on everything you've taught them. You're afraid they might rebel and fight you."

"Gaaah!"

Twilight had pegged Starlight, and Starlight was none too happy about anypony seeing through her charade and the charming mask of a matron she wore to the dictator behind said mask. She slugged Twilight hard across the cheek, knocking Twilight's head around.

The rest of the ponies gasped and covered their mouths in shock.

Twilight was shocked, too, and needed a moment to recover. Twilight propped her jaw up with her hoof to make sure it was still in place before turning towards Starlight.

"So that's the way you want to play, huh?"

Twilight yelled and pounced on Starlight Glimmer, tackling her to the ground. Starlight reached up to grab Twilight's neck, but Twilight caught her hooves and held them.

Growling, Starlight's horn lit up, and she teleported out from under Twilight, making Twilight fall to the snow with a thump. Starlight charged up a spell in her horn, preparing to strike Twilight with magic.

Twilight got up and pounced on her again, tackling Starlight down and causing her magical bolt to fire into the sky. Most unicorns relied on magic for most things, so for Twilight to be an experienced physical fighter was not something Starlight could adapt to easily.

Twilight, with Starlight pinned, proceeded to beat Starlight's face with her bare hooves, punching and punching and punching until blood let out from Starlight's jaw. Starlight growled again and readied a spell, this time getting it off with success, blasting Twilight Sparkle into the air.

Twilight tumbled through the air before landing chest-first into the snow. There was a beep of unknown origin, and Twilight got up with widened eyes. She watched in surprise as a the hexagonal plate on her chest, which Starlight hadn't thought to remove, expanded and filled out, covering her body in metal armor, a helmet covering her head.

Starlight reacted with understandable surprise, but Twilight knew what she needed to do. Controlling the armor as if she had never taken it off to begin with, Twilight activated its jets and hurtled towards Starlight Glimmer. She picked Starlight Glimmer up, flew up in the sky, and tossed Starlight Glimmer into a rock.

"Oogh …" Starlight groaned, putting a hoof on her head. Twilight landed on top of her, her steel-covered hooves producing clangs which filled Starlight with panic.

Twilight unfolded her helmet. "Listen here, you. I am Twilight Sparkle of the Autobots Imperials. I've fought monsters like Megatron and Starscream, demons like Thunderwing, and even faced down gods of chaos like Discord and Unicron. You, Starlight Glimmer, are much too small of a fish to be the one that does me in!"

Twilight grabbed Starlight by the head and proceed to bang her head against the rock, thumping her forehead over and over without stopping. When Twilight felt satisfied Starlight had been subdued, she rolled Starlight over onto her back and propped her against the rock. Feeling petty over Starlight taking advantage of her lost memories, Twilight forced her metal-clad hoof into Starlight's gut, knocking the wind out of her.

"Now, if we're all done arguing …" Twilight turned to the crowd. "Who's with me? Who will stand up and fight for your home?"

"N-no." Starlight said, turning to the crowd with her bruised and bloody face. "Y-you can't. Think about what we made here. You'll destroy everything we built together!"

The crowd was silent. Double Diamond and Sugar Belle were among the most uncomfortable. No pony dared side with one of them over the other.

Until a little filly pushed her way past to the crowd. Once she made it to where Twilight could see, she locked eyes with her.

She raised up her hoof.

"I'll fight, Twilight Sparkle." The filly said. Others, including the filly's mother, gasped. "This is my home. I have to protect it."

Starlight had a look of devastation on her face. She closed her eyes and turned away.

Twilight smiled and gave her an approving nod. "Anypony else?"

The ponies remained uncomfortable, until another pony followed the filly's example and raised his hoof. "I'll fight."

Like dominos, the rest of them fell into line, ponies raising their hooves one by one until everypony had volunteered. Everypony except Double Diamond, Party Favor and Sugar Belle.

Double Diamond grimaced, looking at Starlight Glimmer.

"I'm sorry, Starlight." Double Diamond said. "I have to do what I think is right." He turned to Twilight. "I'll fight, Twilight Sparkle."

Twilight Sparkle smiled.

Starlight, feeling betrayed by her friend, shed a tear.

"Okay, everypony, gather 'round." Twilight gestured for the ponies to come closer. "We don't have a lot to go on here. No weapons, no ammunition, minimal territory to work with, but …"

"What do we have?" Party Favor asked.

"What we do have … is a plan." Twilight said. "And trust me. That is all we are going to need."

()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()

Crosshairs impatiently tapped his fingers against his knees, the three Autobots sitting with their backs pressed to the wall.

"You know …" Crosshairs rolled his head around. "If we don't get out of here, eventually … we will run out of Energon."

"Yes, Crosshairs, I'm aware of that." Magnum said.

Crosshairs reached down around his hips. "Maybe I've got a demolition charge on me somewhere." He patted around his waist. "Nope. Funny. That seems like a serious oversight for me to make."

"Indeed." Drift said.

"Well … if the three of you get low on Energon ..." Fluttershy shucked open a panel on her leg. "I can donate some of mine."

"Aw, Fluttershy." Crosshairs said. "That's sweet, but we couldn't ask you to do that."

"It's no problem." Fluttershy said. "Being a technorganic, I run on both blood and Energon."

"Uh-huh." Crosshairs said. "What is that like for you?

Fluttershy rolled her eyes up in thought. "It's interesting. It's very … different. But I wouldn't want to give it up. I love myself the way I am."

"Oh, stop, you're filling the cave up with sap." Crosshairs said. He looked away. "But, uh, seriously though, it's … nice that you're at peace with yourself."

Fluttershy giggled.

"Wish I could say the same." Crosshairs muttered.

Fluttershy shuffled her hooves. "Well … if we are going to run out of Energon … is there anything anyone would like to say before we do?"

All three of the Autobots jostled uncomfortably. None of them were really talkers. Crosshairs rubbed his hands together.

"I'll go first." Magnum volunteered, sitting himself up. "There was a reason I went into the Elite Guard on Cybertron, before the Decepticons made it moot. I … I wanted to distinguish myself. From my cousins. From Ultra Magnus and Optimus Prime. Optimus Prime was the Supreme Leader of the Autobots … Ultra Magnus got to lead the Wreckers, and … all that left for me was the Elite Guard. But it wasn't good enough. I was still … the second-rate, the third-stringer. They used to say Ultra Magnus was a poor man's Optimus Prime. Well … by extension, that made me a poor man's Ultra Magnus." Magnum sighed. "I just … I've always wanted to stand out, you know? Optimus and Magnus casts long shadows, and … I've been trying and trying to get out from them. I just wish … I had something to set me apart. Something that would make the Autobots say, when you talk about me, "Magnum," without ever considering Optimus or Ultra Magnus."

Magnum blinked. "Well, that's my peace. What about you?" He glanced at Crosshairs.

Crosshairs scratched his head. "Ah, might as well, now that you've gone and started. Now, you may find this hard to believe, but I wasn't always an Autobot."

"A badmouthed, foul-tempered, trigger-happy guy like you? No." Magnum said.

Crosshairs leered at him. "Ignoring that. I used to be a mercenary. A selfish one, too. I went where the wind took me, and the whole of Cybertron was my oyster. I took on any job, as long as the price was right … until one day, I got hired by a fella. Needed some extra muscle for a mission. He had the shards to pay, so I didn't ask questions … until we got into the place and started shooting it up, and I realized it was an Autobot installation. Now, I may have been a mercenary, but I had no love for the Decepticons. But still, I had a job to do. I'd been paid. Until ..."

Crosshairs went silent.

"Take your time." Fluttershy encouraged him.

"Until one of the Autobots, still alive after we had shot everyone in the room, grabbed me by the ankle." Crosshairs said. "He begged me to stop. He begged me to stop the mission and stop the 'Cons. Said he could see I wasn't carrying their insignia on me. But it's what he said next that shook me. He told me it was a hospital. The Decepticons were raiding an Autobot hospital, with plans to kill the sick and injured inside."

Fluttershy looked down. "So … what did you do?"

"What do you think, luv?" Crosshairs crossed his arms. "I went up and shot every one of those slag heaps in the head. Then I went to go sign up for the Autobots. After I gave the Cons their money back, of course." Crosshairs and Drift chuckled.

"You know …" Drift said. "I can top that."

"Oh yeah? How?"

"You were only used by the Decepticons." Drift pointed at Crosshairs. "I was one."

"No! Get out of here." Crosshairs said.

"It's true." Drift said. "I was quite merciless one, too, until I got into a fight with Optimus Prime himself. We matched swords, and I was confident I would be the victor. Optimus was no fencer, I told myself. But I underestimated him, and he beat me down. He had his sword at my neck, and hesitated. When I asked him why he didn't do it, he said it was because he could see good in my optics. He helped me up. He taught me the value of mercy, and I defected."

"How sweet." Crosshairs said, but was it difficult to tell if he was being sarcastic or not. "Well, that passed the time. Now what?"

"Now we either wait for rescue … or run out of Energon." Magnum said.

"Heh." Crosshairs perked his head up. "You hear something?" There were sounds coming from outside, the sounds of large masses of metal thumping against rock, followed by the sounds of arguing voices.

"Grimlock, we've been searching for megacycles." Predaking's distinct voice said.

"What are you saying? You saying we should just give up?"

"Not give up, just … take a rest."

"No!" Crosshairs shouted. Magnum, Drift, Fluttershy and himself ran up to the cave wall and began banging on it. "No! No, do not take a break!" They continued to bang and thump and shout.

There was a silence.

"You hear something?"

"The question, Grimlock, is not whether I heard it with my keen Predacon senses, but whether or not you did with your primitive Dinobot hearing."

"Hardy-de-har-har. If you're done bragging, move over."

Magnum and the rest tensed up, holding dead still in the hopes Grimlock was coming to investigate them and not some other noise.

"Anyone in there?" Grimlock shouted, his loud voice penetrating the cave wall.

"Yes! Yes, there is someone in here! Specifically, Crosshairs! Oh yeah, and these other guys, too."

"Stand back!"

"Best do as he says, gents." Magnum and the others backed away from the wall. They heard grunting from the other side, and the cave shook, rocks becoming disheveled and falling out of the pile until Predaking and Grimlock's fists emerged through the rocks, punching holes into the wall.

"Hooray! Three cheers for Grimlock and Predaking!" Crosshairs shouted, earning odd looks. "Ahem." He cleared his throat.

"Come on, come on!" Grimlock gestured for them to hurry.

The four of them hurried out of the cave, and Grimlock and Predaking. They began walking, with Grimlock and Predaking converting into their beast modes to give the others a ride.

"Grimlock! You transformed on your own." Drift exclaimed. "It is good to see Predaking's lessons are going well."

"You know …" Fluttershy said, fluttering up onto Crosshairs' shoulder as he climbed aboard Grimlock's back. "I'll give three cheers with you, Crosshairs."

Crosshairs chuckled awkward. "Uh, thanks, Fluttershy, but that won't be necessary. I just … got caught up in the moment, that's all." Crosshairs bit his lip. "Now, let's never speak of it again, alright?"

"Okay." Fluttershy said with a playful voice.

()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()

Starlight remained where she was, unable to move, at least not without severe pain. She watched the snow blow past on the wind over her head, wondering where she had went wrong and why her private empire was crumbling at the seams.

Twilight Sparkle marched up to her, shadows around, casting quite the imposing figure in her armor.

Starlight lifted her head up. “Here to finish the job?”

Twilight said nothing. Sugar Belle walked up to her, carrying one of the vests which were sold in Starlight’s town. Sugar Belle handed the vests to Twilight. Twilight bit on the vest and pulled, tearing it apart into strips, and proceeded to wrap the cloth around Starlight’s injuries.

“Why … what are you doing?” Starlight asked.

“Covering up your wounds.” Twilight answered. “It won’t help with the pain, but it should stop the bleeding. I can’t just leave you here to bleed out and die. I probably should, you manipulative, dirty liar, but I can’t bring myself to.”

Starlight whimpered, wincing at Twilight applying the makeshift bandage. “I meant everything I said. I just wanted what was best for everypony.”

“Uh-huh.” Twilight said. “After I woke up, you made no effort to recover my lost memories and tried to manipulate me into staying here by making me feel guilty about Sugar Belle.”

“Well, imagine our - ouch - positions had been reversed! What would you have done if it was you who found me with my memories?”

“I would have done everything I could to help you get them back, and I wouldn’t have stopped until I did.”

Starlight looked at Twilight with disbelief. “No. Surely you wouldn’t. Not for a stranger.”

“You may find this hard to believe, Starlight,” Twilight ripped off another piece of cloth, “but not everypony is as distrustful as you.”

“I still don’t believe you would go out of your way to help somepony like that.”

Twilight rolled her eyes, letting out a frustrated groan. “You know what? I’m done with hearing about your paranoia and distrust and trying to get through to you. I’m going to finish this last bandage, and leave.”

Twilight as she said she would, wrapping a cloth around Starlight’s cheek before leaving.

Starlight put a hoof to the ground. She winced. It hurt to get up, but she could stand. She walked off.

Out by the cliff ledge, Fracture bent down, squinting as he observed movement inside the small town.

“Hey, Steeljaw.” Fracture got up and pointed at the crowd of ponies gathered on the other side of town. “The ponies stopped moving.”

“Hmm.” Steeljaw walked up to the ledge to see. “What could that be about, I wonder?” His ear perked up, picking up a sound. Steeljaw narrowed his eyes before jumping off the ledge. Fracture followed suit, and the two of them entered the village.

“Looks like nopony’s home.” Fracture said “The place is deserted.”

“Yes, so it would seem … hmm?” Steeljaw heard rattling. A pony came out from between the houses, carrying two logs of wood. He dropped one, gasping in panic when he saw Steeljaw looking at him. He picked up the piece of log and ran away, hoping Steeljaw wouldn’t follow him.

“Now what are they up to over there?” Steeljaw wondered. He motioned for Fracture to gather the rest of the Pack before moving deeper into the village.

Steeljaw looked around, poking his head around corner.

“Starlight, no! What are you doing?” A pony exclaimed. Steeljaw grinned at the sight of Starlight Glimmer scurrying up the mountain by herself.

Seizing the opportunity, Steeljaw got on all fours and galloped up the mountain, chasing after her.

Starlight arrived at the cave, breathing heavily after her run. She looked to the entrance and halted, remembering she had locked Ultra Magnus in the vault.

“Well, well, well.” Steeljaw walked up to her. “What are you doing all the way up here?”

Steeljaw’s shadow fell over Starlight. Starlight gritted her teeth. Deciding she would take her chances, she moved the boulders aside and dispelled the force fields.

“Hmm?” Ultra Magnus wondered, poking his head out to see what was going on.

“Oh, Starlight.” Steeljaw cooed. “Do you really think Ultra Magnus will help you after what you put him through?”

Ultra Magnus crossed his arms. “Yeah, Starlight. What did you expect, that I’d help you after you locked me up and ignored everything I had to say?”

“Magnus, I’m sorry about all that.” Starlight said, trying to sound convincing. “I’ve come to realize there was more truth to your words. Can’t we let bygones be bygones?”

Magnus leered at her.

“No. If you’ll excuse me ...”

“You’re free to leave.” Steeljaw said, moving aside. Ultra Magnus walked past him and gave him a glare, but moved on.

Starlight grew worried. Steeljaw smirked, got ready to pounce, and jumped into the cave, ignoring Starlight as if she wasn’t even there.

“Huh?” Starlight wondered.

“Starlight! Starlight.” Double Diamond and some other ponies ran up to the caves. “What are you doing up here? It’s not safe with those Decepticons around!”

“No, it’s not.” Starlight pounded her hoof. “But darn it, I don’t want you to fight them! I - I don’t want to see you get hurt! Our only option is to run to the mountains! Please! I’m begging you!” Starlight put her hooves together, collapsing to her hind knees, tears shedding from her eyes. “Don’t fight.”

Double Diamond and the others repled by awkwardly standing around.

“Ah, Starlight Glimmer. And you brought your friends.” Steeljaw came out of the cave, holding the Staff of Sameness in her claws. “I’m so glad you brought your friends, Starlight Glimmer. I wanted them here to witness … as I use the Staff of Sameness to imbue myself with magic power!”

Starlight’s teeth chattered, and the rest of the crowd froze up. Steeljaw twirled the Staff and aimed it at himself.

Nothing happened. No magic came from the Staff. It didn’t glow, it didn’t hum. It did nothing.

“Hmm.” Steeljaw said. “Perhaps it’s broken. Perhaps it needs more a direct approach.” He twirled the Staff again and aimed it at Double Diamond. Nothing happened.

“The Staff can take away with a Cutie Mark.” Steeljaw pointed the Staff at the cave. “So surely it should be able to give a Cutie Mark, right?”

Steeljaw shook the Staff at the cave, with the end result of nothing happening.

“Hmm.” Steeljaw said, turning to Starlight with a smirk. Starlight was sweating. “Well, if I understand my Equestria magical artifacts, right, then if I destroy this one, it should automatically undo all the effects of its might, right?”

The ponies grew worried at the idea of them all getting the Cutie Marks they had been taught to reject at once en masse.

Steeljaw raised the Staff up and broke it over his knee, snapping it in half.

“Oh, look.” Steeljaw said. “Nothing happened.”

“W-why didn’t anything happen, Starlight?” Double Diamond asked. “The Staff’s destroyed, so … shouldn’t we be getting our Cutie Marks back?’

“I, I, uh …” Starlight Glimmer said.

“Go on, Starlight.” Steeljaw stalked towards her. “Tell them.”

“Tell us what?” Double Diamond demanded.

“The Staff doesn’t do anything!” Starlight exclaimed. “It’s just some stick I found in the desert!”

The ponies gasped.

“Yes.” Steeljaw chuckled. “You see, Starlight, I knew the Staff was a fake. I just needed to prove it … to them.” He gestured to the crowd.

“But … then how did our Cutie Marks get taken away?”

“Starlight Glimmer does it herself. With her own magic.” Steeljaw said. “But that’s not all.”

Steeljaw picked Starlight Glimmer up by the hind leg. Steeljaw licked the tip of his finger, getting it wet, and rubbed at Starlight’s equal mark. It smudged up, showing it was paint and revealing it the markings of a Cutie Mark underneath.

The crowd gasped again.

“All this time …” Double Diamond said, with tears in his eyes. “You’ve been lying to us?”

“No!” Starlight insisted, her voice desperate. “No, I haven’t been - oof!” She was interrupted by Steeljaw throwing her to the ground.

“Yes, she has been lying.” Steeljaw said. “She’s been lying to you all along. The Staff was a fake. She’s had her own Cutie Mark this whole time. Who knows what else she’s been lying about? Who can tell?” Steeljaw asked.

“So, tell me.” Steeljaw said. “How are you going to treat this pony, who is so unequal to you? Who’s been superior to you this whole time? To this pony who’s been disrupting and perverting your equality?” Steeljaw went on, working the crowd up and getting them angrier and angrier. “Are we going to punish her?”

“Yeah!” The ponies cheered, Double Diamond in particular.

“Are we going to throw stones at her? Maybe flog her? Put her in the stocks and throw fruit at her?”

“Yeah! Yeah!” The ponies cheered, agreeing with every one of Steeljaw’s suggestions.

“Alright, alright, make way, you angry mob.” Ultra Magnus said. “Keep calm. First, Starlight, now, Steeljaw … seriously, are you even capable of acting on your own? Do you just do whatever someone tells you to do? Do you even do anything beside stand around and gasp at really, unsurprising reveals?”

“What are you doing here?” Double Diamond asked as the crowd parted for Ultra Magnus.

“Just here to pick something up.” Ultra Magnus went over and scooped up Starlight Glimmer into his arms. “I’ll be taking this.”

“Wait, why should you get to take Starlight Glimmer?” Double Diamond asked.

“Yes, Ultra Magnus. Why should you take Starlight Glimmer?” Steeljaw asked.

Ultra Magnus, seeing right through Steeljaw’s game and ready to turn it around on him. “Well, because … who better to mete out Starlight’s punishment, than the one she didn’t give any chance at all before locking him up? Wouldn’t you agree, ponies?”

“Yeah!” The ponies pumped their hooves.

“Well, there you have it.” Ultra Magnus turned to Steeljaw. “Unless you don’t care about what the ponies’ feelings, either.”

Steeljaw hesitated. “No.”

“Good.” Ultra Magnus smiled and walked off with Starlight Glimmer.

“W-what are you doing?” Starlight Glimmer asked. “Where are you taking me?” She flailed in Ultra Magnus’ grip.

“Away for punishment!” Ultra Magnus made a point of saying out loud. He bent his neck and whispered to her.

“Saving your life.” Ultra Magnus said. “Not that I care about your sorry hide, but I met a certain someone who convinced me to help you, because we need a strong magic user, and the only other one we have around is going to be busy.”

Starlight raised an eyebrow.

“So, ponies!” Steeljaw shouted. “Now with Starlight Glimmer gone, and your whole unraveled, you’re going to need someone to lead you.” Steeljaw paced around. “To inspire you. To help you as you stumble around in this uncertain, dark time. I could be that for you.”

“Will you give us our Cutie Marks back?” A pony asked. “You’re kind of blocking the way.”

“In due time.” Steeljaw said. “After you’ve swore your allegiance to me and the Decepticon cause.”

Double Diamond turned to the ponies around them, trying to reach a decision. They didn’t want to pledge themselves to Steeljaw, given what they learned about Starlight, but he was blocking their way into the cave, and they couldn’t have possibly challenged him in a fight. They lacked the skills.

But they didn’t have to.

“Everypony, you are getting your Cutie Marks back!”

“What?” Steeljaw looked around. He saw Twilight Sparkle in the crowd, looking ready and determined.

Steeljaw growled. He got on all fours and chased after Twilight. Twilight turned and ran down the mountain path, fleeing into the village and hiding there.

Steeljaw met up with the rest of his Pack in the middle of the street. “Where’s Twilight Sparkle? I just saw her come through here.”

The others shrugged.

“If Twilight Sparkle is around, are we sure we want to be sticking around?” Fracture asked. “You know how powerful she is.”

“There’s six of us, including your Mini-Cons, and one of her. All she has is her armor. She has no equipment or back-up. We can take her.”

Steeljaw felt someone tap him on the shoulder.

“What?” He growled, turning around and being met with a wrecking ball to the face, knocking him back and making him stagger. “Wha?”

Twilight Sparkle stood in front of him, operating a mech made of wood, with chicken legs and bicycle chains running through, steam coming out from the pipes on its back, Twilight and some other ponies from the village sitting inside the jaw-shaped cockpit pedalling on pedals to operate the patchwork device. Twilight glared at Steeljaw through the teeth.

“Let’s dance, mutt-face!”

Steeljaw chuckled. “That’s an impressive feat of resourceful engineering, Twilight Sparkle. But do you really think you can beat me and my fellows with a mech made of wood?”

“I’m gonna take a swing at it.”

Steeljaw roared and charged at her. Twilight pulled on levers and pushed buttons, snatching Steeljaw’s claw in between two wooden paddles. While Steeljaw reacted with surprise, Twilight spun around and flung Steeljaw into the dirt path.

Thunderhoof raised up his hoof, energy gathering around it. He went up to Twilight’s mech, but Twilight maneuvered the mech into ducking and grabbing Thunderhoof’s leg with the same grabber she used on Steeljaw’s hand, and spun Thunderhoof around, knocking his energy-charged hoof into Underbite’s shoulder, causing all the energy from Thunderhoof’s attack to disperse into Underbite’s side instead of Twilight’s mech, bowling Underbite over.

“Never underestimate the value … of leverage.” Twilight commented. Pressing her advantage, she tossed Thunderhoof up into the air, where he landed on top of Steeljaw.

“Oh man!” Thunderhoof complained. “I’m sorry, Steelie!”

“You can apologize by getting off!” Steeljaw pushed himself up and tilted, sliding Thunderhoof off. He got to his feet and turned to Twilight Sparkle, growling and getting ready for Round 2.

()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()()

Under the watchful eyes of Ultra Magnus, Starlight Glimmer cast a spell, a blue aura surrounding her horn, trying to use a combination of magic and tech to use one of Twilight’s prepared emergency protocols, using Starlight’s magic to their signal out to a broader reach.

“Imperials. Attention, Autobots Imperials.” Starlight Glimmer said. “This is Starlight Glimmer, trying to call on emergency frequency 1-9-8-4. We are under Decepticon attack and in need of reinforcements.” Starlight Glimmer sighed. “This is never going to work.”

“Keep trying.” Ultra Magnus said.

Starlight sighed again. “Imperials, this is Starlight Glimmer, calling on emergency frequency 1-9-8-4. We are under Decepticon attack and in need of reinforcements.”

Starlight blinked, imagining the message was never going to get through and she’d be stuck doing this forever.

“10-4, Starlight Glimmer. This is Crosshairs, Imperial sharpshooter. What are your coordinates?”

“Yes!” Ultra Magnus cheered.

()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()

()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()

Twilight continued to fight off Steeljaw’s Pack, using a clever combination of spins, kicks, and well-aimed punches. When she needed a little extra power, a few magic shots from her horn did the trick.

“Grr!” Steeljaw growled, evading the grip of the mech’s clapper. He lightened up and got a smirk on his face.

Twilight reacted with confusion. Realizing something was happening behind her, she tried to direct the others to turn the mech around. “Turn!”

Underbite reared up and pounced on the mech, digging his claws into its shoulders.

“Too late!” The village pony shouted, her eyes going wide as the mech was rocked.

Underbite shook and jostled the mech, severing its arms off. He brought his claws down on the back of the mech, shredding it and tearing in key spots so the entire cockpit fell apart into wooden planks. The remains of the mech toppled over, depositing Twilight Sparkle and her helpers on the ground.

They groaned, rubbing their heads after the impact, and they worried when Steeljaw loomed over him, a grin on his snout.

Red lasers rained from the sky, blowing up pockets of ground and keeping Steeljaw and his pack from going in for the kill.

“Now what?” Steeljaw asked, looking up. Backup from the Imperials had arrived, riding on the backs of Fluttershy’s Insecticons, who were firing from their horns at the Pack.

“Here just in the nick of time, as always.” Crosshairs jumped off from Predaking and twirled his pistols, taking potshots at the Pack.

Predaking landed and transformed, going into robot mode.

“Predaking, huh?” Underbite turned around to Predaking, his tail wagging. “Where I come from, you’re long gone.” Underbite roared and charged at Predaking, ready to put his massive jaw to use on Predaking’s chest.
Predaking remained calm and struck Underbite in the chin, tossing the huge Chompazoaid a good distance onto his side without even breaking a sweat.

Twilight looked up at Steeljaw and smirked. Steeljaw growled back, tensing his claws.

But Steeljaw was the one smirking when Starlight came out of nowhere like a speeding pink bullet and tackled Twilight, sending both of them rolling outside of town and into a nearby crater covered in snow.

“Starlight, what are you doing!?” Twilight exclaimed.

“You took EVERYTHING from me!” Starlight screamed, trying to Twilight’s face with a hoof despite Twilight blocking with her armored leg. “My village, my home! YOU’VE RUINED MY LIFE! EVERYTHING WOULD STILL BE JUST FINE IF YOU HADN’T SHOWN UP! YOU WERE A CATALYST! Everypony would still be happy, and we would all still be equal! But no, you had to show up, and you had to bring your stupid Autobots and Decepticons with you!”

“It was going to happen, Starlight Glimmer.” Twilight said. “If not because of me, then because of somepony. Semper tyrannus.”

“Oh, don’t you start with that on me!” Starlight exclaimed. “It’s all your fault! Everypony would still be here living their equal lives in equal houses of equalness if not for you!”

“You were lying to them, Starlight. Your village was going to come down eventually.”

Starlight’s horn lit up, preparing a laser to shoot smack-dab into Twilight’s face. Twilight activated her jets and flew up, lifting Starlight up and tossing her aside.

“How many holes do I have to put in you before you get it through your head?” Twilight asked. “One, you can’t beat me, and two, your ‘utopia’ was a false image you were passing on to your followers.”

“We were happy!” Starlight screamed, shooting a beam of magic. Twilight evaded the beam and flew towards Starlight.

“Are you sure about that?” Twilight asked. “Because I’m pretty sure Sugar Belle would like to remember what a real cupcake taste like.”

Twilight jetted towards Starlight, ramming her front hooves into Starlight’s face. Starlight staggered and focused her gaze on Twilight as she descended to the ground.

“Aaah!” Starlight shouted and charged at Twilight, Starlight’s horn crackling with electricity and magic. Twilight stepped to the side, avoiding Starlight with ease, and flicked out a switchblade from her armor. As Starlight charged past her, Twilight slashed Starlight’s side with the knife, cutting a huge gash into Starlight’s side.

Starlight staggered again, coming to a stop as she felt blood trickling down her side. She looked at Twilight.

Twilight walked up to Starlight, doing her best to keep a neutral expression, but the twitches in Twilight’s face revealed there was gamut of emotions raging inside of her. Without expressing any sentiment, Twilight slugged Starlight across the cheek, knocking her down.

Twilight pinned Starlight, pressing her hoof into Starlight’s chest.

Starlight looked up at Twilight. She cried, letting out a hiccup. Tears flowed down her cheeks. “I … I just want you to know, Twilight, when I said you were like the sister I never had … I meant every word.”

“I know.”

Twilight let slip but a single tear. She raised up her switchblade.

“So did I.”

Twilight aimed the switchblade, putting the tip inches above Starlight’s throat, but she hesitated to put the knife any closer.

“What are you waiting for, an invitation?”

Twilight and Starlight looked up and saw the Imperials, Starlight’s villagers and Steeljaw’s Pack gathered around the lip of the crater. The villagers all reacted with shock at the scene of Twilight pressing a knife to a beaten Starlight’s neck.

“Slit her throat, Twilight Sparkle!” Steeljaw said, making a cutting motion across his neck. “Show all these ponies how high and mighty you are!” Steeljaw turned to the villagers. “Behold! How the heroic and noble Autobots treat their enemies! What are you waiting for? Cut her throat open!”

“Yeah!” Fracture cheered. “Cut her! Cut her!”

All of Steeljaw’s Pack raised up their arms, breaking into an encouraging chorus. “CUT HER! CUT HER! CUT HER!”

Twilight shifted her gaze between the Pack, the villagers, and the Imperials before turning her gaze back to Starlight Glimmer. What could she do? Starlight was dangerous, but she knew what Steeljaw was doing. If she hurt Starlight, if she killed Starlight … it would turn the villagers against the Autobots. They would oppose the Autobots. Steeljaw might even be able to turn them and train them into an an anti-Autobot resistance group, which was probably his goal.

Twilight shivered, a mess of emotions running through her, voices arguing inside her about what she should do.

She’s dangerous.

She’s misguided.

She used you and took advantage of you.

She needs help. Mental, professional help.

She needs to be neutralized.

Remember your teaching. This isn’t what Princess Celestia or Optimus Prime would want. If there was even a chance she could saved, redeemed, reformed -

CELESTIA AND OPTIMUS AREN’T HERE ANYMORE.

“Aaah!” Twilight screamed, telling the voices in her head to shut up. She looked at Starlight with a fury in her bloodshot eyes and brought the knife crashing down …

Into the snow beside Starlight’s head.

The Decepticons were, of course, disappointed, letting out groans. Starlight turned her head towards the knife, unable to believe she’d been spared. She looked up at Twilight.

Not willing to press her good fortune any further, Starlight teleported out from under Twilight Sparkle and ran away.

The Imperials turned towards Steeljaw’s Pack and got ready to fight and apprehend the curs.
Steeljaw grinned, pulling out a handful of purple powder and tossing it on the ground, producing a smoke cloud of the same colors. Ultra Magnus led the Imperials through the smoke, finding nothing there.

“Anything?” Ultra Magnus asked, turning to Predaking.

Predaking sniffed the air. “No. Nothing. They’re gone.”

Ultra Magnus clenched his fist. “Damn that Hydia. If it weren’t for her ...”

Predaking noticed something and pointed. “Starlight Glimmer is still within visual range. Should we pursue?”

Ultra Magnus looked over his shoulder, watching Starlight Glimmer head for a cave inside the mountains.

Twilight climbed out of the crater. She, the Imperials, and the villagers followed Starlight Glimmer, but couldn’t catch up with her in time to stop her from making it into the cave.

“What should we do?” Sugar Belle asked. “We’ll never find her in those caves, but …”

“Let her go.” Twilight said. “Maybe she’ll use the time to think and see where she went wrong. I doubt she will. But honestly … I just want to be done with this, at least for today.” Twilight Sparkle trudged over to a snow-covered rock, resting her hoof on it. She brought her other hoof over her head, thinking about everything she had gone through today. Everything she had lost … all the things which made her a pony, before she had went into space and come back a changed pony, a changed … being. Shining Armor’s words echoed in her head.

Ultra Magnus looked between Twilight and the cave. “Okay, you know what? No. No. We already have, let’s see ...” Ultra Magnus counted on his fingers. “Galloway, Gould, The Forged, Bludgeon and his Mayhem, the Star Seekers, Lazerback, and Dragotron. That’s … eight enemies. We don’t need one more.”

Ultra Magnus walked towards the mountain.

“W-what are you doing?” Twilight Sparkle asked.

“Wreckers!” Ultra Magnus shouted, and Bulkhead and Wheeljack lined up.

“What are you doing?” Twilight moved her hoof off the rock.
“Drop the mountain on her.”

“What? No!” Twilight galloped towards them. “Stop! STOP!”

Ultra Magnus aimed his arm-mounted rockets while Wheeljack pulled out and primed a grenade, but Bulkhead abstained, uncertainty written over his face.

Ultra Magnus fired at the top of the mountain and Wheeljack tossed his grenade into the cave, where it exploded, filling the cave with blazing orange light. Ultra Magnus’ rockets detonated, causing an avalanche, rocks and snow falling down from the mountain, triggering a cave-in. The cave filled up with rocks, its exit sealed off.

Twilight, Double Diamond, and Sugar Belle watched in shock, their jaws hanging.

“You … you killed her!” Sugar Belle exclaimed.

Ultra Magnus turned away. Sugar Belle ran up to his leg, pounding on it with tears in her eyes.

“You killed her!” Sugar Belle shouted.

Ultra Magnus reared his leg up and punted her aside.

“Look, I’m sorry, but that’s war. Ponies die.” Ultra Magnus said coldly. “If you don’t like it, tough, but don’t think you’re immune to it just because you’ve been living out in the middle of nowhere for the last few years.”

Ultra Magnus continued walking.

Twilight put a hoof on Sugar Belle’s shoulder. She brought Sugar Belle in for a hug, and did the same for Double Diamond when he came.

“She … might have lied to us.” Double Diamond said. “But she didn’t deserve to die … did she?”

“After what he did earlier, we should have seen it coming.” Sugar Belle said.

“I don’t know, Double Diamond. She might.” Twilight said. “But I don’t think she did.”

Twilight glared at Ultra Magnus, hard enough for him to feel it and stop. He turned around and looked back at her. They exchanged glares and stared each other down before Ultra Magnus turn and continued walking as if nothing had happened.

()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()

Now returned to the Imperial base, Twilight Sparkle examined her reflection in her helmet, set on her desk.

“Somepony’s looking a little contemplative.” Rarity said, walking into the room with the rest of Twilight’s friends. “What’s wrong, darling?”

“Everything!” Twilight Sparkle said. “Everything is wrong. Losing my memory today and getting it back … it’s made me realize everything I’ve lost, how much innocence I’ve lost. I’ve seen things. Things that no … little pony should have to see! You! Rarity, look at you!” Twilight cupped Rarity’s face. “You’re covered in scars!”

Rarity chuckled. “Well, you know. I manage to look good despite that.”

“And Fluttershy …” Twilight turned to Fluttershy, who crossed her hooves.

“I’m beginning to wonder if maybe Shining Armor was right.” Twilight put her hoof on her helmet. “Maybe his little sister did die when she went out into space, and I’m just some Autobot thing that was sent back in her place.”

“Yeah, well.” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “Shining Armor is a blockhead.”

“Rainbow Dash! But it’s true.” Rarity said.

“Don’t worry, Twilight.” Applejack said, tipping her hat. “You’re our friend, and we’ll support y’all no matter what.”

“Yeah! Even if you are some kind of Autobot clone!”

“Whether you identify as a pony, an Autobot, or somewhere in between …” Rarity said. “We’ll be here for you.”

Twilight sniffed, overwhelmed with emotion. “Thanks, girls.”

“Group hug!” Pinkie Pie announced, and they did.
()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()

Out in the frozen wastes of the Crystal Empire, Bludgeon and Mindwipe walked up to Thunderwing’s body.

“That went swimmingly.” Mindwipe said with a touch of sarcasm. “What’s our next move, boss?”

“Thunderwing was just a nice perk.” Bludgeon said, climbing up the side of Thunderwing’s chest. “The real endgame has always been in here.”

Bludgeon took out his katana and stabbed it through Thunderwing’s chest. He pulled it forward, drawing a circle. He kicked the circular cut piece out and reached inside, pulling out an object similar in shape to the famed Matrix of Leadership, with a circular core and two handles.

“Behold.” Bludgeon said. “The Dark Spark. Said to be an equal and opposite to the Autobot Matrix of Leadership, it allows one to bend the fabric of the universe to the owner’s will. This is what made Thunderwing so powerful.”

“Uh, yeah.” Mindwipe said. “Because bending reality sure is the, uh, ‘opposite’ of leadership.”

“With this, I will become a god.” Bludgeon said.

“Hey.” Mindwipe said. “Why should you get to have all that power? We work hard, too, you know.”

Bludgeon held up a finger. “Hold that thought.” Bludgeon opened a panel and shoved the Dark Spark into his chest, where the artifact shifted and bonded, binding itself to Bludgeon’s Spark and inserting itself inside. Bludgeon’s body flickered with purple energy, and he bent over, overwhelmed by the power. He raised up his hand and shot a beam of purple lightning from his palm. The lightning struck Mindwipe and bounced off, striking the nearest Vehicon and bouncing off from him, the chain lightning continuing until it reached the last Mayhem soldier. Spikes of Dark Energon formed on Mindwipe’s and the others’ bodies, energy and power swirling around the tips of the crystals.

“Happy now?”

“Yeah.” Mindwipe said, flexing his arm.

“Here.” Bludgeon unclasped the Alicorn Amulet from his neck and handed it to Mindwipe. “With the Dark Spark, I have no need of this anymore. You can have it, my friend.”

“Aww.” Mindwipe said. “Thanks, Bludgeon. I appreciate it.” He wrapped the Amulet around his neck.

“You there!” Cadence flew in from above. “What’s been going on around here?”

Bludgeon turned to Mindwipe with a smug expression. He clenched his fist, electricity crackling between his fingers. “Care for a test run?”

“Be my guest.”

Bludgeon held out his palm, shooting a spear of lightning at Cadence. The spear struck her in the chest and sent her hurtling away into the distance.

Cadence barreled around in the sky, eventually recovering. She looked over her shoulder at Bludgeon, who had become a speck in the distance.

I have to report this to Celestia. Cadence thought, her lips forming a worried line as she flew away.


()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()() ()()()()()()


Out in a mass of crumbled rock, Steeljaw shoved his claw into the snow, digging out a clump and placing it to the side.

Starlight Glimmer could be seen within the rock. She let out a groan, covered in blood and feeling pain all over her body. She gasped for air, having been buried for some time.

Steeljaw, with gentleness, inserted his claw underneath her and lifted her up. He set her down to the side.

“It’s a good I got to you in the time that I did.” Steeljaw said. “Any longer and you would have run out of breath.”

Starlight’s eyes widened when she realized it was Steeljaw talking to you. “You. Why are you here? Why … did you save me?” Starlight wondered, looking at the hole Steeljaw rescued her from.

“It occurs to me we got off on the wrong hoof.” Steeljaw said, giving Thunderhoof a wink. Thunderhoof waved his hoof to emphasize the joke. “You see, you and I both want the same thing, Starlight Glimmer. Equality. We just … have a little different ways of going about it.”

Starlight looked around. “Who’s that?”

“Greetings.” The woman bowed. “I am Hydia.” Hydia offered her hand to Starlight.

“We could help each other, Starlight Glimmer.” Steeljaw said. “If you and Hydia put your magic together, combined with a little muscle from my Pack … we could get everyone what they want. We could spread equality all over Equestria. All over the universe. What do you say?”

Starlight glared at Steeljaw, still remembering how her earlier interactions with him went.

“And we could help you get revenge on Twilight Sparkle.” Steeljaw said.

Starlight looked at the ground. “I’ll do it.”

“Excellent!” Hydia put a hand on Starlight’s shoulder. “This way, dear …”

Steeljaw and Thunderhoof watched them go, Hydia pulling out more of the same purple powder she had given Steeljaw and using to teleport Starlight away.

“Are you sure this is a good idea, Steeljaw?” Thunderhoof asked. “I mean, considerin’ what she does in the future …”

“That’s exactly the point.” Steeljaw said. “If we can convince to be our side in the past, it will change where she is in the future. She’ll be with us. She won’t be with the Autobots … and one of the greatest magical defenses the Autobots have ... will no longer be an obstacle for us.” Steeljaw smiled before breaking into sinister laughter.