• Published 30th Nov 2013
  • 794 Views, 42 Comments

Operation: Patriotism - Darkryt Orbinautz



Post First Contact, Twilight must deal with a conspiracy prejudiced against her and alien lifeforms while on the wrong side of the law. But how far is she willing to go to stand up for what she believes in?

  • ...
23
 42
 794

V: The Human Principle

Twilight stared in horror at the Rainbow Dash-human thing. "R-Rainbow Dash? What happened to you?"

The Dash-human raised an eyebrow. "Uh, Rainbow Dash? My name is Roxanne." Roxanne offered Twilight her hand through Optimus' window. "Roxanne Danvers. What's your name?"

"T . . . Twilight Sparkle." Twilight answered, shaking Roxanne's hand.

"Twilight Sparkle? What kind of name is that?"

"I'll have you know it's a perfectly valid Equestrian name!"

"Whatever. Sweet ride you got here." Roxanne whistled, admiring Optimus' form. "What's its top speed?"

"Umm . . ." Twilight glanced sideways at Optimus' dashboard. "I'm not sure. Um, maybe like, 1000 MPH?"

"No way. You're joshing me, right?"

Optimus' display shifted. Twilight exhaled sharply, as it was the technical information for his vehicle mode.

"My bad. 160 MPH." Twilight answered.

Roxanne snapped her fingers. "Now that I believe. Custom engine?"

"As much as I would love to keep talking with you about this, I need to make sure my friends are okay!" Twilight stuck her head out the window. Truthfully, she wasn't a car person and had no desire to keep talking to Roxanne about a subject she knew little about.

Thankfully, she saw her friends and the other Autobots around, having experienced similar difficulties that she and Optimus had. She could see Rainbow Dash slumped over Arcee's handlebars like she had the wind knocked out of her. Rubble from a school building was scattered everywhere, and there were numerous students lying on the ground or clutching nearby objects for safety. They all looked humans with Equestrian skin colors, and some of them even had wings! They were all too shocked or horrified to approach Twilight like Roxanne had.

"Could you move?" Twilight asked Roxanne, swinging the door open and stepping out. "Is everypony okay?"

"I'm fine." Dash insisted, raising her hoof. Fluttershy and Applejack stepped out and raised her hoof as well. Rarity waved through Bulkhead's window, and Pinkie burst out of Bumblebee's door.

"Wow!" Roxanne exclaimed. "This isn’t some kind of trick is it? You're actual ponies! You're unicorns and pegasi! I always thought Sunset was just a bit whacked in the head..."

"Sunset?" Twilight asked. "Who's Sunset?"

"Sunset's -" Roxanne started to answer, but was cut off by a yell.

"What is this!?"

"Oh snap." Roxanne muttered. "Now we've done it. Vice-Principal Selene looks ticked!"

A woman marched up to Twilight. She was an adult, wearing lipstick, with long blue hair, a pink shirt, and a white bandana on her neck with a black crescent imprint. "I demand to know the meaning of this!" She gestured to the carnage around. "Do you realize you could have killed someone with your antics?"

"Yes, but -"

"But what?" Selene snarled. "What possible excuse could you have for the knowing endangerment of innocent lives?" Selene raised an eyebrow. "And you're a unicorn! Unicorns aren't supposed to kill people!"

Twilight, frustrated, lifted Selene in the air with her magic. "Maybe if you'll quit lecturing me for two seconds, I can explain." The other Ponies started to regroup around Twilight. "We're from the world of Equestria. We tracked a thief and came out of a mirror, and your school building was on the other side! We didn't know it led there!"

Selene was unamused. "Really? You came out of a mirror? Do you really expect me to believe such a ridiculous story?"

"It's not a story!" Twilight insisted.

"Yes." Rarity spoke. "That's exactly what happened! You accept that we're unicorns, but not that your mirror is a magic portal?"

Selene glared at them. She whipped out a cell phone. "I don't know what kind of crazy unicorn laws you operate under, but let's see what the police have to say!"

"Optimus, do something!" Twilight hissed. Optimus remained still. Twilight growled. It was clear Optimus was enforcing his modus operandi of hiding as a vehicle to take the measure of the locals. "Optimus, they seem pretty okay with us being unicorns. I'm sure they won't mind you."

"Ah!" Selene added. "So you're not only callous of life, you're crazy as well! Perhaps I should call the crazy hospitals, then?"

Twilight grunted, giving Optimus' hood a solid buck. That was finally enough to convince Optimus to act. Roxanne and Selene gasped as the truck broke apart into a series of panels, then rearranged itself, unfurling Optimus' feet, hands, and head.

"I am Optimus Prime, leader of the Autobots." Optimus introduced himself. "We are autonomous robotic -"

"Yeah, yeah, autonomous whatever." Twilight interrupted. She heard this intro before. "Just tell her that we came through the mirror without knowing what was on the other side!"

"Twilight Sparkle speaks the truth." Optimus volunteered. "A thief has stolen something very valuable from her world, and we pursued through the mirror in that room, which doubled as a portal." Optimus pointed to the hole in the school.

Selene looked at the hole, then back to Optimus. "I suppose if you have a giant robot willing to back your story, it must be at least part true. I still don't appreciate that you punched a hole in my building!"

"We will offer all resources to repairing damages . . . after we recover the item that was stolen." Optimus added sharply.

"You think because we have a robot backing it up, it's true?"

"Well, yes. After all, robots can't lie."

"This poor sap is dire need of meeting a Decepticon." Rarity whispered to Twilight.

"Your building, Selene?"

Two more women joined the party. Both were like Roxanne, being ponies that were given the "human treatment." Rarity's double was wearing a blue shirt, black necklace with a silver clip, and a purple skirt. Celestia's double was wearing a yellow dress shirt with purple jeans, and her hair was bristled slightly to resemble a crown.

"I thought it was our building." Celestia's double add. "Principal Celeste, at your service. Now, what's this business I hear about a thief?"

"Yes. She has stolen something of utmost value." Optimus answered.

"Rachel." The Rarity-double introduced herself. "Can't you just buy a new one?"

Optimus and Twilight looked to each other, grimacing.

"You do not understand. This item is . . . not replaceable."

"Aah. Sentimental value, then?"

"You . . . could say that." Twilight answered.

"This will not stand!" Celeste declared, dramatically pointing in the air. "I will see that you get all the help you can retrieving this item from the thief!"

Selene gasped. "Celeste, you can't be serious! They damaged the school and could've killed our students!"

"They admitted they knew nothing, and no one was hurt." Celeste countered. "The school wall can be replaced. Their stolen goods cannot." Celeste turned to the students. "Has anyone seen Sunset Shimmer?"

"I'll go get her!" One student volunteered, getting up and dashing off.

"While he does that, I would like to add that the mirror should be kept in a safer place." Optimus said. "It is thus far the only known link between here and where we came from, and it should be protected."

Selene crossed her arms. "It was protected just fine before you came along!"

Ratchet reverted to robot mode and marched to the Vice-Principal. "Well, excuse us, Vice-Principal. I mean, after all, it's not like we have millions of years of warfare behind us to back our decision-making – OH WAIT, we do! The mirror is thus far the only known method of commute between our world and ours. So unless you happen to know where another method is, or have a manufacturer who can make another mirror with identical properties, I suggest you do as Optimus Prime says! Unless you do have something like that around?"

Selene deflated a little. "No."

"I thought as much." Ratchet quipped. "I suggest we relocate the mirror to somewhere better protected than a school. Perhaps a military base. With lots of tripwires, automated sentries, anti-hacking software . . ."

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves, hmm?" Rarity cut him off. "But it is agreed the mirror needs to be in a safer place?" There nods from each pony and bleeps from the other Autobots. "Then it's settled."

Selene glared, then stormed off, mumbling bitterly.

"I fear we may have just made an enemy." Optimus said.

Ratchet scoffed. "I don't think we have anything to worry about. She's just upset we're not being lawfully punished in a way that makes her happy. She doesn't strike me as being to the level of MECH or Doctor Morocco . . ."

"Here we are!" Celeste said, gesturing as another new girl appeared. She was wearing a purple shirt with a yellow and red sun on it, orange shorts, and a blazer jacket. Her skin looked more like a human's than anyone else they had met here, and her hair was a long red and yellow combination like fire.

"This is Sunset Shimmer, a pillar of the community." Celeste said, patting Sunset on the back. "If anyone can help you get back your missing items, it's her."

"She don't look like much . . ." Applejack said, unimpressed.

"Kinda good-looking, tho'." Dash quipped.

"Rainbow Dash!"

"What?" Dash teased. "It is so wrong to appreciate the body-build of other species?"

"Yes! It's called "bestiality" and it's -"

"I think we're getting off-topic." Ratchet interrupted quickly. "Hello, Sunset Shimmer. My name is Ratchet."

"Hello . . . Ratchet." Sunset muttered.

"You'll have to forgive her." Celeste said. "She can be shy when meeting new people. She's very energetic once she gets to know you, though!"

"Oh!" Fluttershy sped towards Sunset. "I get shy meeting new people too! I'm Fluttershy." Fluttershy offered her hoof. Sunset slowly reciprocated.

"So, Sunset . . ." Twilight asked. "What do you suggest we do first?"

"Well, um . . ." Sunset muttered. "I think we should go to my house so you can meet my friends . . . they can help."

"Right! You got that, Optimus?"

Optimus and Ratchet assumed their vehicular modes. Twilight guided Sunset into Optimus' passenger side. Selene went ahead and called the cops, but for the mirror, not the Autobots.

Roxanne flew up to Optimus' window and waved at Sunset. "Hey! Rachel and I will met you guys back at the house, 'kay?"

Sunset nodded. "'Kay."

Roxanne waved them off, Optimus' gear shifting as he made his way to the road.

"Just go straight . . ." Sunset pointed. "There will be a turn . . . I'll point it out when I see it."

"Okay!" Twilight sat back and relaxed while Optimus drove. Sunset was not comfortable.

"Shouldn't you have your hooves on the wheel?" Sunset questioned.

"Oh, no." Twilight answered. "Optimus can drive himself."

"I would really be more comfortable if you were to drive . . ."

Optimus spoke through the dashboard. "Sunset Shimmer, I have two rules for those who use me as a ride. One, no touching the wheel."

"What's rule two?"

"No conducting scientific experiments in the trailer until I'm parked."

Sunset stared at Twilight. "You conduct experiments in his trailer?"

Twilight grinned sheepishly. "Sometimes. Hey, did either of you notice how all the people in the school were like human versions of my friends?"

"What do you mean?" Sunset asked.

"Well, Roxanne was like Rainbow Dash, Rachel was like Rarity . . . Principle Celeste was like Princess Celestia. They even have similar names! Celeste, Celestia, Celeste, Cel- are you alright?"

Sunset seemed frozen. "I'm fine. It's nothing."

"So, Sunset Shimmer . . . how come I've never met your counterpart in my world?"

"I don't know." Sunset's answer come across as vacant and spacy. "What's . . . what's your relationship with Princess Celestia?"

"She's my teacher!"

"Your . . . teacher?"

"Yeah. My mentor. She teaches me how to use my unicorn magic to its greatest application." Twilight sighed, thinking of fond memories.

"Here." Sunset pointed. "Here's the turn."

Optimus turned as instructed, and it was just a few more turns here and there until they pulled up to a dark green two-story building with a garage on its side.

"This is it. My home." Sunset said. She looked out the window. "Looks like Roxanne and Rachel beat us. Must have found a short-cut, I guess . . ." Sunset and Twilight departed Optimus' cab and went up to the house, where Roxanne and Rachel were at the door. The rest of Twilight's friends departed their Autobots and followed.

"So we told the others about our new friends." Roxanne said. "They're really eager to meet you-"

Roxanne's statement was proved accurate when the door burst open, and the doubles of Fluttershy, Pinkie, Applejack, and Twilight came out.

"Oh my gosh!" The Pinkie-double responded. "Real unicorns! I mean, at first I thought Roxanne was just playing a prank on us, but they're totally real!"

Patrica’s, as she called herself, excitement quickly spread, and all the counterparts took the time to start chatting with each other without the stress of having just crashed through a school wall. Rarity made fashion talk with Rachel, Roxanne and Rainbow Dash discussed guitars, Fluttershy and Flurrie talked about animals . . .

"Hi." Twilight's blouse-wearing counterpart waved. "I'm Twyla Sparkler."

Twilight just stared. If Twyla didn't know better, she'd almost say Twilight looked . . . disgusted.

"Wha . . ." Twilight stammered, her eye twitching. "What is . . . you're . . . ME, but . . . human!"

"Hey, are you okay?"

"Do forgive her, darling." Rarity moved to Twilight's defense. "She's had a bit of a bad rap with humans. You know how it goes, one day you're studying magic, the next you're signing up with a terrorist cell!"

"She didn't have a problem with us." Rachel added. "And we're human version of her best friends!"

"Well, none of you were her." Rarity retorted.

"Dude!" Roxanne yelped. "You were part of a terrorist cell!? That is both awesome and creepy at the same time!"

Anywhere Roxanne was going to take the conversation was cut short by honks from the Autobots, Arcee in particular.

"I hate to break up the party, but weren't we planning on geting their help to find, oh, I don't know, a THIEF? She could be anywhere in the world by now!" Arcee exclaimed.

"Arcee has a valid point." Optimus added.

"Hey, chillax, dudes!" Roxanne smugly assured them. "You got us on your side now. By this time tomorrow, the whole town will be searching high and low for your thing."

"Which would be great if we knew that the thief was still in town!" Arcee growled, her engine revving with displeasure.

There was a sudden ringing, and Rachel pulled out a smartphone, putting it to her ear. "Hello? Oh! Suzy! How's school going? . . . What? Have you called the police? Why are you calling me? No, don’t hang-" Suzy hung up. Rachel glared at her phone.

Twyla looked concerned. "What's wrong?"

"The school where Suzy – my sister – attends is under attack by red-skinned she-demons!"

That caught Optimus' attention. "Autobots, burn rubber!"

Team Prime's engines revved, and they took off like racers down the road.

"Hey!" Rachel screamed, running to the sidewalk. She pointed to the other side of the road. "The school is that way!"


Little human-doubles of the Cutie Mark Crusaders hid behind a car while the creatures, all of them identical to the one who stole Rainbow's Element went around and caused mayhem. They were bouncing on cars, setting the grass on fire with their magic touch, and teachers that came out for the commotion were quickly dispatched with a either a fireball or a painful kick to their tinier, squishier bodies.

"Suzy, when is your sister gonna get here?" Purple-haired Sara Lee asked, peeking over the car.

"I don't know! Wait! I think that's her . . . but that's not her car!" Suzy was confused, unfamiliar with the red truck and its convoy.

The convoy stopped. Rachel, Roxanne and Abigail stepped out. The three women made a run for their sisters, while the Autobots reverted to robot mode and marched towards the attackers.

"Fear not, citizens!" Optimus said, raising his hands. "We are here to help! She-demons, cease your attack and answer my inquires, or I will authorize the use of deadly force!"

The she-demons exchanged dubious looks.

"Fat chance!" The she-demon lifted a car and threw it at Optimus. Optimus caught the car like it was a football and gently set it down, minimizing damage for the owner.

"Bad call." Bulkhead growled. He and the others Autobots opened fire on the she-demons. The she-demons responded by hurling balls of green fire. The firefight proved to be a bust: The she-demons were too nimble to be hit by the Autobots' lasers, and their fireballs only uncomfortably singed the Autobots' armor.

"Autobots, change tact!"

The Autobots switched to their melee weapons and rushed the She-Demons, catching them off-guard, as they weren't expecting the Autobots to suddenly charge them. Bulkhead pounded one into the ground with his mace, Arcee did a jump kick, and Optimus laid two of them low with one punch.

Optimus picked up one, holding it tight in his hands. "What have you done with the Element of Loyalty?"

The she-demon's stared blankly. "Loyalty? We were supposed to steal the Element of Magic!"

"To what end? Who sent you and why?"

The dhe-demon huffed. Optimus started to apply more pressure and repeated the question. "Who sent you?"

The she-demon burst into green flames, burning up until there was nothing but ash that slipped through Optimus' fingers. The other she-demons followed suit, disappearing into fires. One of them stopped to shoot a blue beam of light at Suzy. Suzy's head wobbled.

"Suzy?" Rachel asked.

Suzy turned to Rachel, blue spirals in her eyes. She reached her arms out like a zombie and muttered. "Must . . . attack . . . robots."

"Well, it wasn't an entirely fruitless endeavor." Ratchet noted. "We know there are more than one of them, we know they can teleport, and they were after the Element of Magic . . ." Ratchet stopped, noticing that Suzy was banging on his foot. "And, apparently, capable of mind control."

"How can you be so calm about this!?" Rachel shrieked. "Those things have control of my sister!"

"Well, I've seen worse." Ratchet said callously. Sensitivity was never his strong suit. "Now, Optimus, I suggest -"

"Ratchet," Optimus said sternly, "fix Suzy before you talk to me."

"Fine." Ratchet turned his attention back to Suzy. Rachel ran up to her sister and hugged her tightly.

"Suzy, Suzy? Listen to me. I don't know what those she-demons did to your head, but whatever it was, it's not true. You don't need to do anything they tell you." Rachel ran her fingers through Suzy's hair, and the spirals in her eyes went away.

"S-sis?" Suzy stammered. "What happened?"

"Ah. See?" Ratchet gestured. "A strong emotional bond is enough to cure the mind control. Now, as I was saying, I suggest we go back to Sunset Shimmer. She seems to know the area well, and the she-demons appear to have their base somewhere in the city."

"Agreed." Optimus answered. "I would like to call the Principals and learn where the mirror is. I am going to call Smokescreen for additional aid."

Back at the house, the girls were busying pursuing a more mundane approach to the problem. Rarity was introduced to a computer graphics program on Rachel's laptop and spent time coming up with fliers advertising the Element as stolen, while Sunset and Flurrie combed through Internet forums like eBay and Reddit for someone auctioning the item off. Twilight was displeased to learn that she misheard them when they suggested "Readit."

Sunset had eventually started opening up to the Equestrians, revealing herself as a charming, funny, socially magnetic individual. She was the student president at Canterlot High (the name of the school), the former head of the cheerleading team, and well on her way to being a Girl Scoutmaster, only denied entry because of her age.

Twilight, seeing that her talents weren't much use, decided to pace around the house. She came across a series of portraits on the wall showing Sunset Shimmer in elegant dress with a crown similar to the Element of Magic on her forehead.

"Wha?" Twilight stuttered. "Hey, Sunset? Could you come in here?"

"Sure." Sunset answered, coming through. "What's the problem? Oh, yeah." She saw the plaques. "Those."

"That crown on your head . . ." Twilight said. "What is it? It looks just like the Element of Magic in my home universe!"

"That's the crown they give to the winner of the Princess of the Fall Formal." Sunset answered. "As you can see, I've won the title five years straight."

"Uh-huh." Twilight nodded. "Does it have any . . . powers?"

"Powers? What, like your unicorn magic? No!" Sunset took a place beside Twilight. "Although pretty crazy, when you think about it."

"What is?"

"You. That unicorns – that unicorns are real." Sunset said. "And pegasi. And giant alien robots. And alternate dimensions."

Twilight shrugged. "Well, I was born and raised in Equestria. I am a unicorn, and there are things like dragons and manticores there . . . accepting the existence of things like alien robots or alternate universes . . . it's not really a problem for me." Twilight blinked. "Hey, everyone I've met here has had decent human-sounding names . . . like Rachel or Roxanne. Everyone except you. Sunset Shimmer is really more of an Equestrian name. And on top of that, I've never met a counterpart to you in my universe. Is there an explanation for that?"

Sunset blushed. "Oh, well, I-I don't really . . . I . . . need to use the ladies' room. Excuse me." Sunset walked off. Twilight watched her suspiciously. She was hiding something, Twilight could tell.

"Oh, hey, Twilight!" Pinkie yelled, bursting in. "Optimus just called! Said he was gonna fetch Smokescreen and bring him around to patrol the town while the rest of his team came back here to rethink their strategy!"

"Uh-huh." Twilight nodded, not really paying attention.

"Ooh, wow!" Pinkie exclaimed, seeing the plaques. "These smiles are really fake, aren't they?"

"Yeah, sure . . . wait, what?" Twilight whipped around.

"Well, Twilight, I am a professional smilologist." Pinkie explained. She even produced her certificate – a framed paper with crayon scrawled all over it, with Pinkie's name in bright pink.

"Okay." Twilight learned long ago not question Pinkie's weirdness. "And?"

"And if you look really closely . . ." Pinkie tapped the plaques in order of the dates, going from earliest to most recent. "These first two, the smiles are genuine, but then from the third one and onwards, the smiles are fake. You can tell by the tiny crease in the side of her lips."

Pinkie patted Twilight's back. "It takes a trained eye to see it, so don't feel bad."

Twilight nodded, her eyes shifting towards where Sunset had gone. She was absentminded as Pinkie dragged out to the sidewalk, where the Autobots decided they would call it a day and rest at Sunset's house. Optimus mentioned Smokescreen being excited to serve on a mission for Team Prime. But Twilight didn't hear it. Her mind was too preoccupied with the question.

What is Sunset Shimmer hiding?

Smokescreen flexed his arms, greeted by Celeste and some human with blue spiky hair. He was so excited! A mission for Team Prime, by Optimus himself! He was so excited. This was his chance to prove to Optimus he was type-A material. Even his instructions were just "drive around the neighborhood, report anything suspicious."

"So, you're Principal Celeste?" Smokescreen asked.

"Yes." Celeste gestured to the boy. "And this is Flash Sentry, Sunset Shimmer's girlfriend. He'll be accompanying you. If you need anything, ask him."

"Sounds good. Say, has anyone ever told you you look like a human Celestia?"

"It's been cropping up recently. Now, do you have any questions, Smokescreen?"

"Just one. When do we start?"

"As soon as you're ready."

Smokescreen converted into his vehicle mode – a sleek Lemans sports car decked with screaming 38's. "Let's roll." Flash got into the driver's seat, and Smokescreen took off.

"Hey, Smokescreen? Ever heard of a speed limit?" Flash grilled.

"Uh, no."

"Slow down! You're going to get into us into an accident or something! Now, there's somewhere we should go . . ."

"Where?" Smokescreen spat out ideas. "Seedy bar on the dirty side of town? Dark alleyway where crime runs rampant? Apartment complex of drug dealers? Come on! I'm in the mood for some heroics!"

"Uh, actually, I was going to suggest we go to these ruins, see." Flash explained. "They're really big and spacious, and Sunset uses them for big events all the times. So it's possible that whoever is behind all this will meet in there. A circle of people talking wouldn't catch much attention in there, so it's the perfect place!"

"Ruins." Smokescreen repeated flatly. Dirty, dusty, boring ruins. Not quite as glamorous as speeding into the underbelly of town and cleaning up the streets. Smokescreen complied and followed Flash's instructions to the ruins.

It was mostly one large building, black, crumbling and weathered. Aged pillars kept the ceiling up, and the entrance was large enough for a Cybertronian to fit through. Smokescreen wasn't sure why, but he felt as though the ruins were calling out to him.

Smokescreen dumped Flash out and reverted to robot mode. "So you think we go in there and wait, we'll find the culprit?"

"It's a fair bet." Flash answer, ascending the stairs with Smokescreen. Just short of the entrance, Smokescreen gasped, putting his foot down to bar Flash's way.

"Stay back!"

"Hey!" Flash shouted. "What is it?"

"Look." Smokescreen pointed in. Flash leaned in, and was baffled by the sight.

Inside the ruins, there was a Cybertronian. A dark blue Cybertron with limbs so thin he looked like made of panels, with a hunched back and claws like he had spiders for hands.

"That's Soundwave." Smokescreen explained. "He's been MIA since the war ended. The Autobot High Command has been looking all over for him! But what is he doing here?"

"You guys had a war?"

"Yeah, we had a war! What, you didn't know? Good grief, did Optimus tell you guys anything?" Smokescreen looked back inside, rubbing his chin. "You know, if I could bag Soundwave, that would be great for the cause . . . and it would really impress Optimus."

"I won't stop you, but I can't recommend it." Flash said.

"Wish me luck." Smokescreen said. He dash inside, intending to get the drop on Soundwave and clock him in the back of the head. Soundwave was more aware than he let on, as he spun around and slugged Smokescreen hard.

"Ow!" Smokescreen stumbled backwards. Soundwave had a surprising amount of force in his punch for such a scrawny robot. "Lucky shot . . ."

Tendrils unfurled from Soundwave's back. Tendrils tipped with four-pronged claws, snapping away, ready for attack.

Smokescreen primed his blasters. Soundwave used his tendrils to grab Smokescreen by the arm and lifted him up, slamming into the wall. Smokescreen groaned and slumped, but became alert when he heard the sound of a drill. Another tendril was going towards, its claw spinning as a makeshift drill. Smokescreen grabbed it and fought it off from drilling into his face. He was eventually able to stab it into another tendril, causing Soundwave pain, which made him release his grip.

"Ho!" Smokescreen sighed, staggering to his knee. "This was a bad idea . . ."

Soundwave recovered, and lashed his tendrils around Smokescreen's waist. He lifted the Autobot up and threw him into a pillar outside, then slammed into the floor. Soundwave then let go and made his way out of the temple. Flash Sentry ducked behind some rubble to hide.

Soundwaves stopped at the street, seeing a large, bestial robot walking with steel i-beams in its tail. It was Laserback.

"Who . . . are you?" Laserback growled at Soundwave. Soundwave didn't answer. He was the silent type.

"Hey!" Smokescreen yelled, stumbling out of the building. "I wasn't . . . finished with you . . . yet."

Soundwave, seeing an opportunity, swing his tendrils around and lifted Smokescreen up, then tossed the rookie Autobot into Lazerback.

"Get off!" Lazerback growled, picking Smokescreen up and hurling him into the wires of an electric pole. Smokescreen was subsequently electrocuted and then dropped from the wires, smoke emitting from various parts of him. But it was his pride that was really bleeding.

"Get back here, you, I'll . . ." Smokescreen muttered, attempting in vain to make a threat. Both Soundwave and Laserback had gone. "Oh, come on!" Smokescreen grumbled.

"Smokescreen!" Flash yelled, running up to him. "Are you okay? I saw the electricity flashing and -"

"I'm fine!" Smokescreen waved his hand. "But we need to tell Optimus that Soundwave and a Predacon are here! . . . After I take a stasis nap." Smokescreen collapsed onto his back.

"So Laserback and Soundwave are both here?" Optimus said to Smokescreen on the comm. "What were they doing? Were they together?"

"I don't know, and no." Smokescreen answered. "But Soundwave was at these old ruins, and Lazerback was carrying these i-beams, if that helps."

"Perhaps Soundwave hoped to find something in the ruins." Ratchet suggested. "As for Laserback . . . who knows. He could be trying to build something, or he could be just stealing i-beams to make construction workers miserable."

"I'll let you know if I find anything." Smokescreen said before hanging up, tactfully leaving out the part where he tried to take Soundwave head-on.

“Actually, come to think of it… so far, this universe has been a fairly close match for most modern human installations… why would they build everything - the school, the houses - so close to exposed ruins? That seems extremely disrespectful, or at least poorly thought out.” Ratchet looked up. "It's getting dark . . . we should call it a day. Get some rest before resuming our search, and I can think on it more tomorrow."

"I suspect you are right, old friend." Optimus said. He and the other Autobots parked on the street next to Sunset's house, while Sunset and her friends made beds for Twilight's friends to sleep on in their garage.

The next morning proved unpleasant. Optimus found himself cold on the concrete, even though his engine should have kept him warm. He rolled on the sidewalk, finding himself uncomfortable and . . . small. He felt smaller. He was also in robot mode, but he went to bed in vehicle mode.

He rolled over and got onto his hands and knees, and he figured out why his engine wasn't keeping him warm.

It was because he didn't have an engine anymore.

Because somehow, he and the other Autobots had turned into humans.

There was a piercing scream from Sunset's house. The Autobots rushed to the garage, bumping into Sunset's group along the way.

"Whoa!" Roxanne stopped them, not recognizing them. "Who are you? You're good-looking, whoever you are." Roxanne added, noticing Optimus' attractive build.

They got into the garage to see that the same fate had befallen Twilight's friends. But interestingly, not Twilight herself. The rest of them, however, were now dead ringers for their counterparts, the only trace of Equestrian biology left on them being Rainbow Dash's and Fluttershy's wings sticking out form the backs of their shirt.

"You're . . . you're human!" Twilight stammered.

"And we're not the only ones!" Rarity realized, pointing at the Autobots, recognizing them when Roxanne didn't. "Oh, you poor dears!"

"How did this happen!?" Twilight shrieked.

"Hey, how come Ratchet gets a prosthetic arm and the rest of us don't?"

"Bulkhead, I think we have more important things to worry about."

"Would someone explain to me what's going on?" Roxanne demanded.

"We would if we could!" Ratchet added. "All that we do know is that we went to bed, and when we woke up, this happened!"

"I don't suppose you know anything about what happened?" Rainbow Dash pointed at Roxanne, always one to point an accusation.

"No!" Roxanne answered.

"Are you sure? 'Cause I've never heard of a Pony suddenly turning into a human!"

"Rainbow Dash, I -"

"Everyone calm down!" Optimus, Twilight, and Sunset said at the same time. They were all surprised they were that much in sync.

"However this came about, our priority is still retrieving the Element of Loyalty from the She-Demons." Optimus said.

"I'll go call Principal Celeste." Sunset volunteered. "Let her know what happened."

"Call Flash Sentry as well." Optimus instructed. "Smokescreen mentioned being in his company and needs to be informed." Sunset nodded as she left the room.

Twilight sat down, overwhelmed by the fact her friends had turned into humans. Alternate dimension versions who were humans was fine, but her actual friends turning into humans! Dirty rotten backstabbing humans!

While Twilight had her processor clogged, the Autobots had calmed down enough to examine their new bodies. Optimus was a tall man in a red military jacket and blue army leggins, grey hair, and faded scars all over his face. He was actually fairly attractive. Ratchet was dressed like a doctor with a prosthetic arm and scraggly, Einstein-esque hair. Arcee had pink hair and lithe limbs, dressed in protective skating gear. Bulkhead had a construction worker's uniform, and Bumblebee was unusually short, wearing a yellow cap and black pleather. They all had unusual (for human) skin-tones like silver and dark grey, as their faces had when they were still robots.

"You know, you make a really-good looking human, Optimus." Rachel quipped.

"Don't you start trying to flirt with him." Twilight snapped.

Bumblebee raised his hand and opened his mouth . . . but no words came out.

"Oh no!" Pinkie exclaimed, pulling Bumblebee into a hug. "My poor Bumblebee!"

"Why? What happened?"

"Bumblebee had some damage done to his voicebox a long time ago." Pinkie explained. "When he was still a robot, he could get by with these complex bleeps . . . but now that he's not a robot anymore, he can't do that anymore! He can't speak!"

"Couldn't you just get him another voicebox?" Roxanne asked.

Ratchet huffed. "If I broke your leg, could you just get another leg?"

Bumblebee's eyes widened. He slipped out from Pinkie's grasp and started tearing through Sunset's desk.

"Hey! What are you doing?"

Bumblebee picked up a pencil and a piece of paper, then started to draw on it. He showed his picture to everyone else. It appeared to be a hospital.

"Okay." Ratchet said. "It's a hospital."

Bumblebee drew more pictures and showed them, including a disembodied neck, someone cutting into a person with a knife, and a robot hand next to a human hand.

"What?"

"He thinks that maybe surgery can be done on his vocal chords as a human now, and it'll make him able to speak as a robot again when he goes back to normal!" Pinkie translated.

"We are gonna get back to normal, right?" Rainbow Dash asked. Optimus put his hand on her shoulder for comfort.

"At this point, I’d be as willing to try anything as Bumblebee is." Ratchet murmured. "It can't hurt to have a human doctor take a look and see if they could fix the damage while we’re in this form."

Bumblebee put the tools down and beamed towards Ratchet.

"What? Oh, no, no . . . Bumblebee, I'm not licensed to practice medicine on human biology." Ratchet sagged. "Is there a hospital nearby where Bumblebee could try his idea?"

"Yeah, sure." Abigail said. "Ah'll take 'im. C'mon, Bee." Abigail hooked her arm around Bumblebee's and dragged him out.

"Smokescreen is on his way." Sunset said, stepping down. There was a honk outside. "That was fast." The Autobots and Sunset's group went out to greet Smokescreen, while Twilight's group stayed with Twilight.

"Y'all okay, sugarcube?" Applejack ask, putting a hand on Twilight's back. "Y'all haven't said much since we woke up."

"I'm fine." Twilight answered. "It's just . . . you're all suddenly human! It's . . . it's just a bit much for me to take."

"Hey!" Rarity interrupted. "This could be a good chance to help you get over your dislike of humans! After all, we're your friends, and if we're human . . . then surely we could prove that humans aren't as bad you think?"

Twilight looked uncertain. "I guess you could . . ."

Outside, the Autobots met Smokescreen in vehicle mode. Celeste and Flash Sentry left him, and Smokescreen reverted to robot mode.

"Whoa!" Smokescreen oohed. "I didn't believe it when I first heard it, but you really got turned into humans?"

"That is correct." Optimus said.

"Mmh, very attractive humans, I might add." Celeste said, rubbing her chin. "Honestly, I want to take you home with me."

"Flattering, but we have more important things to deal with." Optimus said.

Celeste gazed wistfully at Optimus, infatuated. "No, no, I insist." Celeste grabbed Optimus by the wrist. "I am taking you home with me, right now."

"Again, flattering, but we-"

"Actually . . ." Roxanne said. "Before you guys went to bed last night, we put in a few calls to some friends of ours."

"And?" Ratchet asked.

"Basically, we now have eyes and ears all over the ground. If a fly lands on a swingset, we'll know about it. So why don't the rest of you take some time off?" Roxanne got behind Ratchet and pushed him forward. "You know, take some time on the other side. Learn what it's like to be human?"

"The Element is our top priority." Optimus responded over Celeste's attempts to forcefully drag him to Smokescreen.

"Look, we have friends all across town." Roxanne counted on her fingers. "We know the She-Demons have their base somewhere in town. And frankly, you guys deserve a little break from all this."

"It must be very stressful." Rachel added sharply. "Looking for the Element so much."

Optimus glared.

"I suppose we could use a vacation . . ." Ratchet muttered.

"Great!" Rachel clapped her hands. "Then it's settled! We'll make sure you're the first to know if anything comes up, and you can take a break in the meantime! Optimus, why don't you stop resisting and let Celeste show you a good time?"

"Primes must be ever vigilant -" Optimus started, but Celeste found a weak spot and was able to pry him from his spot, dragging him to Smokescreen.

"Aww!" Rarity cooed. "Optimus has a date!"

Optimus looked very displeased, but offered no resistance to Celeste shoving him into Smokescreen's passenger side. The Autobots observed as Smokescreen was made into a makeshift chauffeur for the couple.

"So, Roxanne . . ." Ratchet turned to her. "What do you propose we do, now that we're human?"

"Well, uh . . . I'm sure there's plenty of things you can do now as a human that you couldn't have as an Autobot!" Roxanne stammered.

"I don't know about you guys." Pinkie Pie said, wrapping her arms around Arcee's and Applejack's shoulders. "But I could seriously go for a double-chocolate banana swirl sundae."

"What is a double-chocolate banana swirl sundae?" Ratchet snapped, crossing his arms.

All the girls gasped in shock. Ice cream existed on Equestria, but evidently not on Cybertron.

"Oh, dude, you've never had the joy of a swirly sundae?" Roxanne asked.

Pinkie grabbed Ratchet by the shoulders before he could answer. "You have no idea what you're missing out on! We must correct this injustice at once! TO THE PARLOR!"

Ratchet blinked. "Injustice is a rather strong word . . . "


At the hospital Abigail had taken Bumblebee to, Bumblebee was lying on a bed with a lead sheet for x-rays over his body. Abigail entered the room and held his hand.

“I just got finished talking with the doctors. Um, they can try something, but it doesn’t look good. Do-do y’all want them to try anyway?”

Bumblebee nodded.

Abigail waved the doctor in. "Come on in, guys. He says he's okay wit' it."

Two doctors came in. They lifted off the lead sheet, then started setting up machinery. One of them put a mask over Bumblebee's face that would start putting anesthetic-laced air into him. Within minutes, he was closing his eyes and dozing off.


Now at the ice cream parlor with a table for fourteen, Ratchet glared at the bowl of ice cream set out for him.

"What's wrong, Ratchet?" Pinkie asked. "Come on, don't go all "cranky old man" on us now!"

"I am not going "cranky old man" on you, I am going medical doctor on you. This confectionery is high in unhealthy sugars and artificial sweeteners!" Ratchet picked up a spoonful. "This syrup alone exceeds the daily recommended sugar intake for the average human adult!"

"Good thing you're not really a human," Roxanne said dryly. "Just eat it. We can do something else afterward."

Ratchet pursed his lips.

"Come on, Ratchet." Arcee encouraged, having taken to the ice cream with better enthusiasm than Ratchet did. "Just try a bite."

Ratchet glared, then reluctantly took a bite. "There." He threw the spoon down like a child having a tantrum. "I took a bite."

"Just eat it." Arcee chided.

"Too bad Bee and Optimus couldn't be here." Bulkhead said.

"Yeah. Bumblebee would probably love this stuff." Arcee added. At the mention of Bumblebee's name, Ratchet deflated. "Ratchet? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Ratchet muttered, barely audible. He pushed out his seat and walked away. "I'm going to get some fresh air."

"What crawled up his intestine and died?" Roxanne asked.

"He's been trying to fix Bumblebee's a voice box for a long time now." Arcee explained. "And Bumblebee's idea might be crazy enough to work. He's upset because if he knew more about human biology, he could be the one fixing Bumblebee's vocal chords right now instead of some random doctor from some alternate dimension."

"Hmm."

"Ooog . . ." Arcee grunted, putting her hands on her stomach. "Suddenly my stomach hurts."

"Hehheh, yeah. That happens sometimes."

"Maybe Ratchet was right and we shouldn't eat this stuff?" Bulkhead looked at ice cream curiously.

"Seriously . . . I feel like my thighs are about to explode." Arcee added.

"Sounds like you need to go to the bathroom." Sunset suggested.

"Oh? Is that painful?"

"Only if you're really sick." Sunset said, getting up. "Come on. I'll take you to the ladies' room and show you how."

Applejack blanched. Sunset taking Arcee to show her how to use the bathroom was okay, since Arcee, being a Cybertronain until this morning, had never done it before, and they were both girls . . . but what if Bulkhead needed to use it? How would they explain the intricacies of there being different bathrooms for different genders?

Applejack's worries about that were disrupted by noticing that Twilight was accompanying Ratchet on the outside of the parlor. They were both sulky.

"Be right back, y'all." Applejack got out from her seat. "Ah'm gonna go see 'bout cheerin' Twilight up."

Applejack walked out the parlor and went up to Twilight. "Hey, Twilight. Y'all feelin' okay?"

"I'm fine." Twilight insisted. "It's just . . . I'm still not okay with you being humans."

"Uhh, y'all want to help me out here, Doc?"

"Hmm? OH, yeah, yeah, sure. Humans, good, whatever."

Applejack sighed, seeing Ratchet was preoccupied and clearly of no help.

"Hey now." Applejack sat on the concrete and put her hand on Twilight's back. "It's not so bad, bein' a human. The hands are pretty good for grabbin' stuff . . . work on tha' farm back home would probably be easier if Ah had this all the time." That at least got a chuckle out from Twilight.

"Seriously, Twilight . . . which humans made y'all hate all of them?" Applejack asked.

"MECH, Silas, Adam DeCobray, Doctor Morocco . . . Kade Burns. General Madison." Twilight recounted.

"Right," Applejack said. "That's a pretty long list. Anyway, just because y'all got in wit' tha' wrong crowd, it means every human is bad?"

"Not every human." Twilight defended herself. "Just any ones that aren't Jack, Miko, Raf, or Agent Fowler."

"C'mon, Twilight." Applejack added. "You hatin' all tha' humans for something those guys did is like . . . is like . . . is like if Ah hated all the Cybertronians for something Megatron did, or if the Autobots hated all Equestrians for something ne're-do-wells like Flim and Flam did."

Twilight let out a big sigh. “I guess, I guess - deep down, I know that, but’s just so hard. I can still remember all those awful people… not to mention our new friend Galloway...”

"I know that, Twi. But we know good people, too, like Jack and Miko, so will y'all finally stop bein' so judgmental against 'em?"

"I’ll try." Twilight received a glare from Applejack. “Try harder than I have been, I mean.”

“Great to hear it.” Applejack said.

Ratchet applauded, chuckling. "I'm sure Optimus will be pleased to hear that, too."

"So . . ." Applejack said. "Y'all about ready to come in for some ice cream?"

"Of course."


It took a lot of convincing, but Celeste was able to make Optimus sit down on the couch in her apartment so they could sit down together and watch a romantic movie and enjoy margaritas she had made.

Optimus held the cup in his hand, eyeing it with suspicion. "Is this is an alcoholic drink?"

"A little." Celeste answered.

"Primes are not supposed to drink alcohol." Optimus said.

"Mh-hmm."

Optimus set the drink down on a coffee. "I should not be here. I should be trying to find the Element."

"Oh, Element this, and Element that." Celeste scoffed. "Honestly, Optimus, when was the last time you set aside time for yourself? You know, sit down. Maybe have a little party."

"Primes are not supposed to party."

"Really? Then what are Primes supposed to do?"

"Lead." Optimus emphasized. "And that means that we do not do anything which would cloud our judgment, such as partying and drinking."

Celeste raised her eyebrow. "Do Primes do anything fun?"

"No."

"Oh, just sit down and watch the movie." Celeste picked up a remote and hit the play button.

The movie was an emotionally-driven one, about a man who gave up everything in pursuit of true love. His job, his home . . . but it all worked in the end, as he moved in with his beloved in a swanky beach house.

"Well?" Celeste asked as the credits rolled. "What did you think?"

Optimus was giving the credits a glare. "I dislike the protagonist."

"Oh?" Celeste asked. "How's that?"

Optimus sighed.

“It is unbecoming of a Prime, but… I envy him. He made a choice to be with the woman he lived. To give up what he had for what he wanted. I could not - I could never make that choice, even if I was given an opportunity to do so. When push comes to shove, I will always choose what I think is best for the greater good over my personal desires.”

Optimus leaned forward on the couch and put his hands together.

“I would like to have that choice one day. When all the world’s problems are solved, and there is no longer a need for me to be leader of the Autobots or a public figure… I would like to give up everything and settle down somewhere in a nice, quiet dwelling. Why, perhaps I might even start a family of my own.”

“Well…” Celestia looked aside. She placed a hand over Optimus. “If and when you ever do decide to try and settle down… I’ll be waiting here. You know, if you want to… try to give me a chance… that way.”

“Hmm.” Optimus shook his head. “No. That will not do. I already have a family… and I have grown much closer to your Equestrian counterpart than I have you. I have known her longer, I know her more intimately…”

“Hmm.” Celeste repeated. Her phone rang. "Yes? What? They are? Okay, I'll tell him." Celeste closed her phone. "Optimus, the she-demons are out on the streets, and they seem to have the Element with them!"

Optimus bolted out of his seat and pointed dramatically. "Autobots, roll out!"

And that was a good cue for actor "Awkward Silence" to make his token appearance, as a) the Autobots weren't here and b) they couldn't "roll out" in their current state even if they were.

"Force of habit." Optimus admitted, struggling with embarrassment, an emotion which was rare for him to feel.

"I’ll ignore it," Celeste said quickly. "Here, I'll drive you."


There were precisely twelve she-demons out in the middle of a park. Their presence had scared off families who were playing there, and parents rushed to get their children to safety.

"Look at them." one she-demon muttered. "Scurrying about to get away from us."

"Not like it'll help." Another commented, standing next to a machine. The machine was a square grey box with a keyboard on its side, and two prongs sticking out from its side, where the Element of Loyalty was nestled between.

Three cars veered in, their tires screeching as they swerved into a halt. Optimus exited from one, while the other Autobots exited from Smokescreen, and Twilight's came out of the last one.

"Principal, do you have anything in your car which might make an effective weapon?" Optimus asked.

"I have a carrying bag."

"It'll have to do."

"Attention, She-Demons!" Ratchet called. "We are here to reclaim the Element of Loyalty! Surrender it now, and we can leave peacefully!

"Are you threatening us?" The She-Demons were incredulous that Ratchet had the nerve to threaten them, even after he'd been made into a human. They burst into laughter. They didn't find it as funny when Twilight Sparkle teleported into the middle of them and sent them flying with a pulse of magic that exploded around her.

"Grr!" One got up and immediately charged at Twilight. Twilight fired a laser that struck her back down.

"Oh, really, now!" A voice complained. The Autobots looked up to see Laserback, standing by the edge of the sidewalk and holding something in his tail. "First this upstart interrupts me at those ruins, and now this? It's getting to be where a Predacon can smuggle his goods in the streets anymore!"

"Laserback!?" Twilight shrieked. "What's he doing here!?"

"Who knows? Who cares? I got him!" Smokescreen reverted to robot mode and charged at Laserback, nimbly dodging when Laserback attempted to slash. The Autobots and other Equestrian, undaunted by the fact they lost their special abilities, engaged the She-Demons in hand-to-hand combat.

"You're brave. I'll give you that." a she-demon snarled to Optimus. "But that'll get you nowhere when -" She was cut off by Optimus swinging Celestia's bag into her face like a flail.

One she-demon made for the machine and started pushing the buttons.

"So, tell me, how does this machine work?"

"Oh, it's simple." The she-demon said. "It'll take the magic from the Element and broadcast a signal which will hypnotize every teenager in radius, thus providing our Mistress with an army to take over Equestria!"

"Just the teens? If you're going to make a device such as this, you might as well make it so that it hypnotizes everyone."

At this point, the she-demon realized she wasn't talking to her buddies and turned around, only to be decked by Ratchet's prosthetic arm.

"But then again, I'm not really interested in improving your scheme as I am in foiling it." Ratchet said. He smashed the controls with his arm before yanking the Element out. "Optimus, I have the Element!"

"Excellent!" Optimus called. "Now we need a method to deal with the She-Demons!"

"I have an idea!" Smokescreen yelled. "Twilight, think you can force Laserback into beast mode!?"

"I can try!" Twilight said, enveloping Laserback in her magic.

"Hey, what are you -" Laserback protested as he felt his internal mechanisms being violated. "Hey . . . hey, stop! ARRGH!" Through careful manipulation of his internal workings, Twilight was able to force Laserback to convert.

Smokescreen leaped on top of Laserback and smacked Laserback on the back of his beast head, making him breathe fire. Then Smokescreen grabbed his horns and turned him loose on the She-Demons. The She-Demons scattered and ran away, eventually deciding to just teleport out.

Seeing the Demons defeated, Smokescreen backflipped off Laserback, landing perfectly behind Laserback. "Twilight, give me a boost!"

"You got it!" Twilight cast a spell, and Smokescreen's hands were enveloped with the glow of magic. Smokescreen grabbed Laserback's tail, lifted the beast up, then hurled him into an electric pole, just as Laserback did to him earlier.

"HA!" Smokescreen boasted while Twilight's strength enchantment wore off. "How does that feel, Loserback? Not so funny when it's being done to you, is it? Yeah!" Smokescreen engaged in a victory dance.

Smokescreen hadn't noticed a little piece of machinery drop from Laserback, but Ratchet and Optimus had.

Ratchet and Optimus approached the device.

"What is it?" Optimus asked. "Does it explain what Laserback was doing here any?"

"Possibly." Ratchet answered. "I know what it is, and this particular brand of machine is usually used in a laboratory."

Optimus turned towards Laserback, lying on the ground with smoke and sparks going over his body. "We do not have the means or resources to contain or interrogate him right now . . ."

"I'll make a call." Celeste volunteered, whipping out her phone. She dialed a number. "Yes, hello? It's Celeste, Sunset Shimmer's mentor. I need something unusual towed. You will? Thank you." Celeste put the phone away. "So, now what will you do?"

"Find a way to work on being restored to our proper forms." Optimus said. "After which, we will take Laserback to our base for interrogation and go back through the mirror."

Optimus rubbed his chin, contemplating how best to get back to normal.

"Hey." Sunset Shimmer stepped out of the other car. "I got a call saying Bumblebee's waiting for us at the house."

Ratchet's eyes widened. "His surgery!"


Smokescreen, Celeste, and Sunset all drove back to Sunset's house, where Abigail and Bumblebee's were waiting on the porch step. Abigail smiled and waved at them as they came by.

"Hey y'all."

Ratchet was the first to run up the porch, closely followed by Pinkie. "Did it work? Can he talk?"

Abigail, frowning, turned to Bumblebee. Bumblebee looked at the floor, stood up, and shook his head.

"Oh no..." Pinkie Pie groaned.

"I'm sorry, Bumblebee." Applejack placed a hand on his shoulder. "I know y'all were putting a lot of your hopes into this crazy scheme of yours working..."

Ratchet pinched the bridge of his nose and turned away, blubbering.

"Ratchet? Are you crying?" Fluttershy walked over to him and wrapped her hands around his shoulders.

"N-no!" Ratchet snapped, shoving Fluttershy's hands off. He tried hide his crying for a little longer, then gave up and pulled Fluttershy into a hug, burying his face into her shoulder. Fluttershy silently comforted him, patting him on the back.
"Um... we, um, still need to worry about how we change back to our... normal selves," Arcee said.

"Well," Sunset said, "the change happened when you were sleeping. Maybe it'll go away after you sleep again?"

Arcee scoffed. "Ugh, so what? Whether or not we're human suddenly shifts depending on what day we go to sleep at? Every odd day, we're normal, but every even day, we turn into humans like you?"

"The, uh, the scientific method teaches us to try anything at least once," Ratchet said, struggling to get his voice back under control. "Actually, it teaches us to try it several times, just to make sure the first wasn't a fluke, but that doesn't change the fact we should at least try it. Who knows? Maybe whatever mysteriously did this will as mysteriously undo it!"

"Ratchet has a point." Optimus added. "We should consider the option. If it works, there will be no need to explore any other options."

Acree shrugged. "Let's go for it."

So the Autobots and Equestrians hit the sack early that day. The Autobots went to sleep on the concrete, so they didn't tear through Sunset's house when and if they were turned back to normal the next morning.

Meanwhile, the towing company Celeste called had rented a flatbed trailer truck to drag Laserback around. There were two employees in the car, and Laserback was bound by steel cables.

"What is it?" The passenger asked.

"No idea, but Celeste wanted it taken care of, and that's good enough for me." The driver answered.

The passenger continued to stare at Laserback through the rear-view mirror. "Sure is a scary thing. I'd hate for it to . . . wake up."

He had amazing timing, as just as he was expressing his wish to not wake up, Laserback's eye twitched.

"Oh, did you see that, man? I think its eye twitched."

"Eh, you're probably just seeing things." The driver's dismissal was proven incorrect as Laserback, returned to full conscious, let out a roar.

Laserback struggled to get out from the cables, but ultimately the terrestrial steel was no match for his Predacon hide. Bursting free, Laserback brought his feet down on the truck's rear half, smashing its rig and destroying its wheels. Now free, Laserback galloped away.

"Holy – call Celeste!"

The next morning, the Autobots and their pony friends were all quite relieved to discover they were back to the way they were supposed to be. Optimus in particular relished the feeling of reverting from his truck mode to his robot mode. The girls flocked out of the garage, chatting lively of how happy they were to be ponies again.

"All things consider, that wasn't that bad." Rarity said.

"Yes." Fluttershy adding. "I thought being human for a bit was quite a learning experience."

"Yeah." Arcee added. "I mean, the humans take a lot of scrap from the Decepticons and some Autobots since they're so small and don't have weapons or unicorn magic . . . but they're tough little guys on their own. I could barely stand going to the bathroom once! They have to do it every day!"

Optimus opened his mouth, at a loss for words. "Err . . ."

"Right sentiment." Ratchet said. "But perhaps a less obscene example might be in order."

"Does this mean you're going home?" Roxanne asked.

"Yes." Optimus answered.

"Don't worry, we'll visit." Bulkhead added.

"Before you go, I'm afraid I have some bad news," Celeste said, walking up to them. "Laserback was able to escape yesterday. We have no idea where he went or where he could be."

"Then it would seem our time here is at an end . . . for now." Optimus said. "While Laserback loose in your world is something I would not wish on, we must return to ours and address problems there. Most importantly . . ." Optimus looked to Rainbow Dash. "We must return the Element of Loyalty to where it belongs."

"So that's it, huh?" Abigail asked. She looked at the ground. "You're leaving."

"Yup." Dash said. "Sad but true. It's been fun, but we gotta get back to our own home."

"Well, bye . . ." Abigail muttered. "We'll miss y'all . . . you were fun tah meet."

"Yeah." Dash added. "I'll admit, meeting a human version of myself was kinda fun. Bye."

"Bye . . ."

"WAIT!" Pinkie screamed. "I am just about to be brilliant!"

"Hopefully as brilliant as you were loud." Ratchet grumbled, rubbing his sore ear.

"What if you come through the mirror with us!?" Pinkie exclaimed. "You can visit the Crystal Empire, meet Princess Celestia, and all kinds of other fun stuff!"

"I guess that . . . would be nice." Abigail muttered. Discussion spread among their group, and they were all up for the idea of an inter-dimensional road trip.

"Then it's settled! You'll come with us!" Pinkie hip checked her double Patrica, bouncing into the air and on her back.

"Oh, I don't know if that's such a good idea, Pinkie Pie." Twilight muttered. "We're in some very politically tense times right now, and introducing an alternate dimension might -"

"Blah blah blah." Roxanne said, climbing onto Rainbow Dash. "All aboard the Pony Express!"

"Hmm." Twilight mused. "This is gonna backfire so bad when Deathsaurus or – or Scorponok gets windfall of it."

"Twilight Sparkle." Optimus addressed her. Twilight saluted.

"We will not refrain from welcoming new friends and allies to our open arms simply out of fear for what those who might disagree with it might have to say. Understand?"

Twilight nodded. "Yes sir. You're right, Optimus. I'm sorry, I should have realized that myself in the first place."

"We all suffer the occasional lapse in judgment," Optimus said before turning toward the mirror. "Shall we?"


Team Prime emerged from the mirror on the other side. The mirror had been taken from the Castle, and Celestia, Cadence, and Shining Armor, along with a group of Crystal Ponies were waiting for them.

"Hello, Optimus." Celestia said teasingly. "I was called over when the Element was stolen. Seeing what you did to Cadence's castle, I reasoned it would be best to relocate the mirror."

Optimus, were he less stoic, might have been sheepish. As it was though, he produced the Element. "The Element of Loyalty, safe and sound."

"Excellent." Celestia took the Element with her magic. "You have done us a great service, Optimus Prime and your Autobots."

Twilight's friends started to come through, their human doubles on their backs. The humans provoked gasps of awe and wonder.

"Everypony," Twilight Sparkle raised her voice, letting Twyla off her back. "I'd like to introduce our alternate universe counterparts! We couldn't have got the Element back without their help."

"That's very . . . nice." Celestia said, abruptly becoming spacey.

"Princess Celestia?" Twilight asked. "Princess Celestia?"

Celestia ran forward, shoving Twilight like out of the way like she was in a trance. Celestia came face-to-face with Sunset Shimmer, looking at with the adoration of a long-lost lover.

"I don't believe it." Celestia muttered. "After all these years . . . why didn't you come back? Why didn't you say anything? You couldn't have wrote a letter?"

"Princess?" Twilight piped up, coming between them. "Princess, what's going on?"

Celestia looked at Twilight, then to Sunset. "You didn't tell them? Why didn't you tell them?"

"I . . . was embarrassed." Sunset said. "And afraid of what they would think of me."

"Very well, I will tell them."

"Tell us what?"

"Twilight Sparkle . . . Sunset Shimmer used to be my student. She started around the same age you did, in fact. But one day, we had an argument. And when I had calmed down and attempted to apologize, she was gone. I had hoped one day she might come back to me, but for all this time . . . for eighteen years now, I had heard nothing of her or what her fate was . . . nothing . . . until today."

Twilight went slack-jawed as tears – tears – rolled from Celestia's eyes. Princess Celestia, Optimus Prime's equal when it came to control of her emotions, was crying.

Celestia embraced Sunset Shimmer in a tight, tight hug. "We have so much to catch up on!" Celestia blubbered through her crying.

Twilight frowned. She should be happy for the Princess – and Sunset. She really should. But deep in the bowels of heart, a little green-eyed monster was forming. Twisting and gathering shape. When was the last time Celestia had cried over her? Honestly, Twilight had faced down monsters like Nightmare Moon and Discord, gone to space in pursuit of an escaped Discord, died, came back to life, and got possessed by the God of Chaos from a pantheon that wasn't even hers! She was never told Celestia cried for her during any of that. But all Sunset had to do was make a vanishing act for eighteen years, and Celestia makes with the waterworks?

Later that evening, at the Autobot base, Twilight was lying on her back in the living area, doing the mature thing and reading books on how to cope with jealousy.

"Hey."

Twilight turned her head to see Jack. "Oh! Hey, Jack. What's going on?"

"Well . . ." Jack held up his hands. There was a green present with red wrapping in them. "I heard somepony got over her hatred for humanity today."

"Oh, yeah, that. Really, Jack, you should thank Applejack for that."

"Maybe." Jack came closer. "But I wanted to test it. Here."

Twilight took the present with magic and undid the wrapping. She peered inside and was surprised by the contents. She levitated out several books from inside the present.

"The Hunger Games . . . Harry Potter . . . Pride and Prejudice . . . Shakespeare? Percy Jackson? Twilight?"

Jack chuckled. "Oh, yeah. That last one is a bit of a gag gift. But they're all famous books by human authors. I figured if you were really over your thing against humans, you wouldn't have a problem reading any of them."

Twilight rotated the books around in her magic grip. She put a hoof on her chin, and after a moment, plucked the Harry Potter book out from the pile.

"Heh. Yeah, that's a good one." Jack said. "One of the first books I read."

"Jack?" Twilight asked. "Would you . . . like to read it with me?"

Jack was taken aback. "Wow . . . so you really have let go of human bias?"

"Yes, I have. Now get over here and snuggle with me." Using her magic, Twilight lifted Jack up and brought him to her side to "snuggle" before opening the book.

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned that just because you have a bad experience with one person from one species, it doesn't mean that all of them are bad. You should always give the others of the species a chance to prove themselves. Who knows? You might just make some new friends when you realize that you can't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch.

Your Faithful Student, Twilight Sparkle.

Celestia smiled at the contents of the letter. After Twilight's signature, there was a picture of her and Jack reading the Harry Potter while cuddling together under a green blanket.

Twilight may have been at peace with Jack reading books in the base, but that didn't change the fact that there were those out there plotting their destruction. That pawns and catspaws were being moved into play. That new players were getting ready for the game. Shockwave planned to destroy the Autobots' reputation. Metalhawk plotted to sabotage their credibility. And there was still the mysterious . . . cabal that Blackout had joined.

In the world of Canterlot High, two of those new players were getting ready . . .

Sunset Shimmer walked down a forsaken street, lit only from the streetlamps on the road. Ahead of her was a She-Demon.

A normal person would be scared and attempt to flee. A normal person of a slightly braver ilk would attempt to improvise a weapon from their surroundings and bravely try to fight the She-Demon off.

Sunset Shimmer was in neither of these categories.

With an expression of pure rage on her face, Sunset Shimmer marched up to the She-Demon and grabbed her by the collar of her mini-dress.

"YOU HAD ONE JOB!" Sunset bellowed. "One job! Steal the Element of Magic. How did you screw it up this badly!?"

"Mistress, I didn't . . . your instructions were to steal "the most powerful Element" and thunderbolts are usually a symbol of power."

"I . . ." Sunset threw the She-Demon backwards. She rubbed her head. "I clearly need to word my instructions better."

"And the dragons!" Sunset added. "You were supposed to send those dragons to kill Twilight for replacing me - I mean, to get her out of the way! What happened!?"

"The dragons chased her to Cybertron and got beaten." The She-Demon answered. "Mistress, are we sure we still want to go through with the plan?"

Sunset glared. "Why . . . wouldn't we?"

"Well, our original plan was to use the Element of Magic to hypnotize all the teenagers in the school, and then use them as an army to take over Equestria. It really hinged on the fact that most Equestrian would be unfamiliar with humans, and too frightened by these new creatures to fight back. But now we've discovered, oh, whoops! The Equestrians know what humans are AND they have this giant, shapeshifting robots aiding them! It just, you know . . . " The She-Demon shifted innocently. "It's the kind of thing that could make a girl rethink her plans, you know?"

"You listen here." Sunset snarled. "I didn't spend eighteen years going back and forth through that mirror, honing my magic until it got to the point that I could my magic as human . . ." Sunset flexed her hand, and a green fireball materialized in it. "Repossess the mirror's transformative properties so that I controlled who did and didn't become a human, and learn to summon demons like you from Tartarus to get revenge on Celestia, just to back down at the last second!"

Sunset dispelled her flame and rubbed her chin. "Twilight and her Autobot friends reacting better to my test than I thought, but that doesn't change a thing! So what if an army of brainwashed teenagers is unfeasible? The Secretariat Comet will be here soon. I just need to wait until it passes, and then uses its magic amplifying properties to summon more of you . . . more demons. Bigger. Stronger ones." Sunset glared. "What are you still doing here? Dismissed!"

"Well, it's just, that . . . you knew where we were keeping the Element the whole time. Why not keep it from the Autobots indefinitely?"

"Ah, yes." Sunset intertwined her fingers, that way that villains do. "Well, seeing as I turned them into humans and had control over you, and therefore, where the Element went, I was basically holding all the cards in my hands. I know they'll get in the way of me taking Equestria, so I decided to take their measure by turning them into humans. And besides, they needed the Element back. It's no good for me to take over Equestria if some villain's taken over it because I kept the Element from them. And besides, if it took too long, they would catch on eventually. Now, I repeat: DISMISSED!"

The She-Demon saluted, then disappeared in a burst of flame.

Flash Sentry appeared out of the shadows.

"What do you want, Flash?" Sunset growled.

"Heard you talking to the She-Demon." Flash said, putting a hand on Sunset's shoulder. "So, you're going to continue with it? Even though they have war robots and we have . . . she-demons in mini-dresses?"

"Yes." Sunset hissed. "Anything else?"

"Well . . . I'm just wondering about you. I was told that Pinkie Pie was a "smilologist" and the smiles in your picture were all faked from year three on . . . so I wondered, will you ever smile genuinely again?"

Sunset glared. "I will when Celestia is at my knees, begging for my mercy." Sunset stalked off, her footsteps echoing off the concrete, Flash watching her with concern.

Sunset thought back to when she turned Twilight and her friends into humans . . .


Sunset sneaked into the garage, tiptoeing around the hay beds until she got to Twilight's bed.

Sunset snickered. "Alright, Twilight Sparkle, let's see how you handle being turned into a human!" Sunset raised her hands, glowing with magic, but there was a roar in the room.

Twilight's body was suddenly engulfed in a purple fire, and levitated up in the air like a puppet on strings.

"Halt." A commanding voice escaped from Twilight's lips. "Who goes there?"

"Uhhh . . ." Sunset stuttered, taken aback. "Sunset Shimmer."

"State your intentions."

"I was . . . going to turn you into an human."

"Mm-hmm. See, that's not gonna work out well for us, as Twilight's body is loaded with Dark Energon, and human bodies cannot process Dark Energon."

Sunset glared. "Who . . . are you?"

"I am the Essence of Unicron, left over from the time Unicron possessed this pony. I mean, come on, she was possessed by a God of Chaos! You don't just go to the doctor and it's all like, "whoopsies-daisy, you're good to go!" I take it upon myself to ensure Twilight Sparkle's safety, as I'm a parasite, and if something were to happen to her, something would happen to me."

"So . . ." Sunset drawled. "If I tried to turn Twilight into a human right now, you would . . .?"

"Kill you in ways your mortal mind cannot even comprehend." The Essence snarled.

"And . . . by contrast, if I turn Twilight's friends into humans?"

"Eh." The Essence shrugged. "Do what you want with them. You deal with Twilight herself for them. I just take care of her body."

"Okay then." Sunset watched as the Essence dissipated, and Twilight's body slowly levitated back onto her bed.

()()
Elsewhere, in the Crystal Empire of the Canterlot High, Laserback emerged from a Bridge. He walked around the darkened icy plains until he found his way back to his project.

An outdoor laboratory, equipped with all manner of machinery. The most notable of which were the tubes holding yellow fluid and silhouettes of Predacons. Clones of the clones Shockwave had made, born from the CNA Laserback had stolen. Information and personality programming being pumped into their heads, to make them malleable, controllable . . . to make them servants to Laserback's will.

That's what he was doing in the alternate universe. Growing his own Predacon army. That's why he was carrying i-beams and that machine Ratchet recognized; they were supplies for his lab.
()()(

One last player for the game . . .

In the crystal mines underneath Canterlot, a Decepticon was strapped to operating – it was too charitable to call it a "table." It was really more of a slab. On the slab was a Decepticon. Thin, small, and frail. He was silver with feet like feminine footwear, long, sharp claws, and a chin that could be used for chin modeling.

This was Starscream, hidden under the Canterlot Mines . . . exactly where Twilight Sparkle said he was not. This was because Twilight had . . . took matters into her own hooves. As Starscream was, in a way, responsible for her, Trixie, Shining Armor, and even the jailed-up Flim Flam Brothers for becoming zombie ponies, as well as countless, nameless others in a failed attempt to make an army. Starscream had even actually killed Shining Armor himself. Because of all this, Twilight felt it was appropriate to strap him to a table and experiment on him regularly using him as a test subject for unethical experiments on Cybertronian biology and denying his tortured and wracked body the sweet release of death.

But it was all okay for her to do those things, because he was a bad guy, right? . . . Right?

"Ooogh . . ." Starscream stirred and groaned. He opened his optics, wondering what fresh horrors awaited him today.

Rather than see the dark light of Twilight's macabre, makeshift lab, Starscream found himself standing in a foggy area. Tombstones were scattered around, and an iron fence walled off the area. A cemetery.

"W-where am I?" Starscream asked. "Is – is this the Well of All Sparks? Have I finally been granted the reprieve of death? Has my body simply . . . given out from the wounds?"

Starscream fell to his knees, half thankful and half in denial that his endeavor was over. "Oh, thank you, thank you, O mysterious force which has killed me! Thank you for freeing me!" he kissed the ground. Then he sat up and put his hands together. "And if you have not killed me, then please, I beseech you, do so. Death will be a welcome respite from the torture that – that pony puts me through!"

"Starscream!" A gravelly, deep voice yelled. "Quit your grovelling."

That voice . . . Starscream knew that voice. But that was impossible.

"No, no, it can't be . . .you're dead. Really dead this time. Well and truly dead."

"Yes." The voice answered. "Yes, I am. This is Limbo, Starscream."

Starscreamed turned. Despite all odds, despite being deader than disco, despite being done for, there he was. The mech who started the war. . . the bot who destroyed Cybertron and several other planets . . .

A Decepticon stood before Starscream, platinum-white. He was broad-chested, with spiky shoulders and a grey scarred face that carried with the appearance of undeath. Red optics blazed with the fire of robot hell in its gaze.

Starscream couldn't believe it, but before him stood The Founder of the Decepticon Uprising, the Spark-eater, the Slag-Maker, the Silver Tyrant, the Breaker, the Force of Iron . . .

Lord Megatron.

"Now, Starscream . . . I have a task for you."

Author's Note:

I feel like this story could have treated Sunset Shimmer better. She bounces all over the place, when it really would have been better to have her as a straight-on villain from start to end, or even set it after the canon version of Equestria Girls.

I had it so that this surgery did fix Bumblebee's voice, but my proofreader made a good case that it was too convenient (it was) and sad, since fiction doesn't have many mute characters. (If he's only 'verbally impaired' rather than mute, but still.)