• Published 14th Nov 2013
  • 430 Views, 7 Comments

OutLive - Lyraah



When Experiment 71 leaked into Equestrian grounds. Many were killed and civilization was scattered. One particular survivor was determined to uncover the truth as of how it really happened. She discovers a shocking twist... and must make a choice...

  • ...
5
 7
 430

Chapter 3: Outpost 1

"Twisted in supply lines, execution is key."

“Hey, wake up. We’re almost there.”

My mind was fuzzy, the last remnants of a dream being chased away by the realization that I am awake again. It was a nice dream, something about sitting in a big oak tree in a meadow full of flowers but the details are fading fast even as I try to recall them, that was three years ago. With a mental sigh I allow my brain to focus and cautiously open one eye. The bright yet calming hue of red cuts the horizon in half and I see dust-motes dancing in the light. I tossed to the side to keep the light out. It’s not going to work; my brain is awake now and already worrying about where are we.

“Huh? What?” That was the most derpy response ever. I facehoofed mentally.

“Y’know? Dusk is just an illusion because the sun is either above the horizon or below it. That means that day and night are linked in a way that few things are cannot be one without the other yet they cannot exist at the same time,” Thunder took a deep breath. “How would it feel? I remember wondering, to be always together yet forever apart?”

I stared at her as she carried on gazing at the sunset, after a few seconds she looked back at me. “What?”

“You don’t look the stoic kind of pony.” I casually remarked. So basically the rest of the journey is us talking about the most random and weirdest of things, but at least helped break the ice a little. The huge amount of empty wastelands and bright colors made the sunset really beautiful. Several buildings stood desolated in the distance as we drove through the barren and dead highway.

“We should there just before nightfall, in about one or two hours, so sit tight.” Thunder flexed her wings and sat back, her dazzling yellow mane shone directly in my eyes, I blinked.

“Look, no hooves.” Thunder removed her hoof from the steering wheel and laid them on the dashboard.

“Why not take that bracelet off?” I suggested beguilingly.

“Alright.” Said as she began to pull off the ATA.

“Wait what, no!” I took back everything I said.

“I’m not that stupid Eve, still as gullible as the last time,” Thunder chortled. “Still, this device is pretty interesting, it’s like it becomes a part of you, like a portable horn but not really a horn, but it’s still a horn even though it’s not a horn because it’s like a horn, but still…”

“I get it, T.” I rolled my eyes.

---

New Saddle appears less desecrated than Vanhoover up close; I guess that’s a good thing, the streets look about as unsettle as any other, but this city doesn’t have that… that heinous feeling, it just felt free.

“See, that hotel there? The Mareridge Hotel, Outpost 1 is situated around that area.” Thunder pointed out.

“So the hotel is like the central headquarters of Outpost 1?” We are now turning into the Ma-Relantic Expressway, the massive Absconse Bay sat next to us.

“Yeah, we’ve got a bar and rooms; you’re going to love it there. The chief’s going to love you; she might be a little mental sometimes but I’m sure you two will get along just fine.” Thunder affirmed.

“I guess… can’t wait to meet her.” Actually the thought about her being mental isn’t really the best, if it’s the Roseluck kind of mental I suppose it’s okay.

“Anyway, this friend of yours, what’s her name? I might know her.” Thunder inquired.

“Um… Rose.” I was reluctant at first, but I knew she was one to trust.

“Oh, that crazy redhead.”

I tried to laugh at her description of Roseluck but nothing came out.

“That’s a new one.” I commented.

“Yeah, we used to do runs against the Orient, until she went to Vanhoover two months ago.”

“What’s with all of you and the Orient?”

“They wanted to take Equestria as their own, be the new leader that will lead Equestria to all greatness and glory that kind of bullshit,” Thunder began.” Attacking innocents, pillaging refugee camps, employing slaves to do their work, sending them to their deaths, yeah, that’s great.”

“So?”

“We are an independent community and we can’t risk Orient taking over one day, and add to the fact that they assail our encampments, cut off our supply lines. It’s beyond no doubt that we must retaliate.” She justified.

“Are there other areas that are in your control?”

“No, ‘our’ control,” She smiled.” We have an outpost in Hoofington and Canterlot and allies in control of Ponyville and the Hoover Dam.”

“Oh, okay, that’s interesting.” I was immersed deep in my thoughts for a while.

---

We stopped in front of huge metal gate, spanning the width of a medium street road. Two guard ponies holding rifles were on lookout on two small guard towers on either side.

“Supply!” Thunder yelled at one guard.

“Who’s this gal you’ve brought in Thunder?” He yelled back.

“She’s with me, let us through.” The guard nodded and signaled to someone.

With a loud screech and hiss, the gates were pulled opened and we drove right into the outpost.

“This looks quite deserted.” I looked around the streets; there was not a single pony to be seen, except for the guards. I could see the gates being shut as the outside world disappeared from my sight.

“This is the warehouse block, where cargo drops off that kind of stuff, the area near the beach is more populous and that’s where we’re headed,” Thunder explained.” It’s good to be back…”

“One more thing, where did you get that sniper rifle?” My tongue was literally hanging out of my mouth and drooling, that was weird.

“Ha, M95 AMR, and I didn’t get it, I took it. It was a souvenir.”

“Huh?” I stuffed my tongue back into my mouth, confused.

“You know what I mean Eve,” Thunder beamed at me.” You’re drooling a little.”

I promptly wiped off my saliva.” I was just hungry… I haven’t eaten anything all day.”

“There will be food, don’t worry.”

I really hope so.

The warehouses and apartment blocks were fading into medium value houses and buildings, the hotel was in plain view now and ponies were going about their businesses. The beach was jam-packed with encampments and vendors selling all sorts of stuff.

We pulled up to the hotel driveway, in front of what was a fountain, now cracked on multiple sides and covered in moss. The whole driveway was in a fogyish state but the entrance seemed quite well maintained. Thunder got out and grabbed her rifle; it was almost the size of her. I wonder how she could carry that all over the place constantly.

“Do you mind carrying this for me?” Thunder looked at me and unslung her rifle. I took one glance at the rifle, and back to her, lost for my words.

“Ah, sure,” I half-heartedly agreed.” But will it be heav-“

I didn’t get to finish my sentence as Thunder strapped the rifle on my back, pulling me down as my legs wobbled violently, trying to balance myself and withstand the weight of the rifle at the same time. I slowly followed Thunder inside the hotel.

“It’s on the fourth floor, elevators not working until we get the generators up.” Thunder smiled at me manically, trotting up the stairs.

“How… Can… You even… drag… this thing?” I hoisted the rifle up as I painfully lugged it up the stairs.

“Gimme that.” Thunder said as she took the rifle and cantered up the steps as if it was nothing. How? Wha- I don’t even want to question her anymore. The state of the interior was in a passable state, apart from the ripping wallpaper and bent railing etc. it was remarkably well preserved.

“In here.” Thunder gestured and knocked her hoof on a lofty door. With a metallic snap, the door clicked open. Thunder went in first, whipping my face with her tail as she went.

“Vio, I’ve bought a friend of your friend.” Thunder uttered to a unicorn sitting beside a bookshelf as she shut the door. Her coat was frost white and her mane was violet in color, she was looking right at me with her placid, orange eyes.

“Oh, okay. Take a seat.” She waved her hoof at us. She doesn’t seem as crazy as Thunder described and that makes me uneasy. Thunder put down her rifle and sat down in front of an office desk, I sat down next to her.

The white unicorn sat down and placed some ledgers on the desk, she was staring intently at it, her eyes narrowing as she flipped through a page.

“What did you find?” She looked at up Thunder.

“Lots of useful equipment, those bandits sure has quite the supply.”

“Ah good, what’s your name?” She turned to me.

“Eve.” I blankly answered.

“Good to meet you Eve, I’m Violet, and I’m guessing you’re that girl Roseluck mentioned.” She continued looking at me, making me a little nervous, it’s almost like an interview of some sort.

“Yeah.”

“Roseluck said you were good, very good,” Huh? What? “And I need something done.” She looked under her desk for a second.

“How can I help?”

“It’s about Orient, and the New Equine Republic, there are in cahoots with the Amareian Front. Fucking traitors.” She said curtly.

How can I help?” I repeated my previous question.

“I want you to blow up their cargo train.”

What? To be honest I was quite flabbergasted at her response.

“We just met and you want to me to blow stuff up.” I lifted up an eyebrow.

“I like you already, I take that as a yes?” Violet plonked down a map and a few photos on her desk. I leaned forward and so did Thunder, the map was marked on the Crimson Canyons, and the photos depicted some kind of cargo train on a monorail system.

“Here’s what you’ll do, I want Thunder Spark to go with you, and I’ll be sending a few of my operatives to sabotage the train. All you need to do is go over to this location here,” Violet pointed to the cross marked on the map.” Watch over them and blow the train off its hinges.”

“My team with set charges on here, here, here and here,” Violet pointed to the photos.” Once the train falls down the canyon, your task is done, I’ll send somepony to salvage the cargo.”

“How does that train even work?” I peered into the photo and noticed the train was of a unique design, now I can see what Violet meant by blowing the train off its ‘hinges’.

“That’s making use of the ‘iron wheel on an iron rail’ mechanism, the suspended weight on the rails make it move more swiftly. You’ll need to shoot off the cable hooks to detach the train off the line.”

I see.

“Go get some sleep, Thunder will show you to her room.” Her room? Don’t I get my own? Considering the amount of rooms in this hotel.

“You’re lucky if you get to sleep in the hotel.” Thunder remarked.” Luckier still you get to sleep with me.” Thunder shot a leering look at me.

“I’m a little hungry, do you have any noms?” I changed the topic as my stomach began rumbling.

“Ah, Sparky, show Eve to the café and bring me a few bottles of scotch.” Violet waved. There’s a café? Holy Celestia, fuck yeah.

---

Dinner was nothing fancy, but enough to satisfy my hunger, I’ve never had this much to eat in a loooong time. Thunder’s room was quite spacious, the bed was soft and comfy and the sheets were exceptionally clean, they also carried a faint lavender scent that made me drowsy. I pulled the blankets up to my face and closed my eyes.

“Did you spray some sort of perfume on these sheets?” I asked out of interest as Thunder slid under the blankets beside me.

“No.” She let out a soft sigh as she shifted herself towards me. I switched off the lights with my magic as the room went pitch black.

“You know… I’m bored.” Thunder poked me under the blankets.

“Go to sleep then, you won’t feel bored.” I was tired, and I don’t like where this is going for one. I couldn’t even hold my eyelids open; I tried to cast all thoughts aside and focused on trying to get some sleep.

“Alright. Goodnight Eve.”

“Goodnight…” I drifted off.

*** *** ***

“Hey, wake wake.” Thunder tapped me on my cheek and rubbed her wings on my chest. That tickled. I tried to sit up but she managed to pin me down to the bed.

“Thunder, I need to-”

“Get up you bastards, it’s time.” Violet suddenly barged through the door and tossed the gigantic rifle at us.

Oh shit. Thunder swiftly flew up and caught the rifle,” C’mon, we’ll have breakfast at the canyon.”

Sounds good, I hopped out of bed and followed Thunder out of the room.

“Wait for me in the jeep, I’m gonna go talk to Violet for a while.” Alright, I can do that. I got in the jeep as I waited, I got out the map Violet gave me and began analyzing it. I also noticed that the cargo on the back was gone; I suppose they have been taken to the armory.

“So the rail runs along the canyon, that’s pretty precarious.” I muttered to myself.

“Let’s go,” Thunder appeared from behind, setting the rifle on the back seat.” I’ve got a new toy, try it.” She then tossed me
a pair of binoculars?

“Tactical Binos. Try them.” That’s quite fancy, I was going to ask her where she got them, but I did not. I assume they come with the rifle.

Thunder started up the jeep and we were on the road once again. I fiddled with the binoculars for the entirety of the trip, they had options for thermal vision, metallic vision etc. It also had a built in distance sensor, which was very cool.

---

If there’s any place in this wasteland that really shows the grandiose of Mother Nature, the Crimson Canyons is the place. The rocks are crimson red and the formations are ever changing constantly. Carved by nature over millions of years, the sheer magnitude and density of the canyon are hard to fathom. There are endless places to stand and gaze upon the beauty of the canyon, we stopped at one spot overlooking the train rails about five hundred meters away. Thunder set down the anti-materiel rifle on a bipod and laid down on the red sand beside it.

“I’ll let you use it, I’ll guide you.” Thunder took the binoculars. I slowly held the rifle on its grip and settled down on the warm sand, luckily we had a bipod, it would be a pain to carry and shoot at the same time.

“We wait, a team will stop the train directly in our sights, then we can begin. Do you know how to use this thing?” Thunder beckoned to me, who was busy admiring the rifle more than anything else.

“Yeah, of course I know how to fire a weapon.”

“You might want to hold it more securely.” She rolled her eyes, clearly not amused.

“Tug firmly on the rear grip with your left hoof and pull it down, make sure you feel the weight on your shoulders.” I followed her instructions and surprisingly, it felt more stable. I looked down the scope, hoof rubbing the trigger lightly. I could tell the rifle will have a powerful kick.

“Get ready, there it is,” Thunder looked through the binoculars.” Zero your sights to erm… six hundred meters.” What? I looked at her, confused. The train in the distance coming to a gradual stop.

“You don’t know how?” I shook my head. Thunder let out a heaving sigh, got up on her knees and tweaked the sights.” There, you see our team?”

I shifted the rifle and caught a small group of ponies firing at the Orient forces.

“Yes.” I knew I had to cover them.

BOOM!

Sand flew all over the place, Thunder was laughing like a mad pony and my hooves were wobbling from the impact. The shot tore through an enemy, sending him flying off the train. I could see the team was holding out quite well, I pulled the bolt and fired off another shot.

BOOM!

The shot penetrated through a steel cable, piercing one of the ponies and crippling her.

“They’ve set down two of four charges.” Thunder reminded.

“How are they gonna get off the train when it falls?” I raised my voice a little due to the intensity of the shockwave.

“Violet isn’t stupid, she sent an all pegasai team.” That cleared up all my concerns.

“See the first cabin? Shoot off the rail hooks!” Thunder directed.

BOOM!

The shot splintered the hook, tearing off the supports; I re-chambered another round and took aim. The next shot shredded the hook, although I could not hear it, I imagined a loud metallic clanking, the cabin hanged precariously like a limp snake, the carriage behind it only just prevented it from imminent doom.

“Looks like they’re bailing,” “Shoot the charges.”

BOOM!

I took out another pony, splattering his brains all over the rails.

Click!

Damn, I pulled the bolt and removed the magazine, before slotting in a fresh one. I forcefully jammed the bolt back and took a shot.

BOOM!

The initial shot is followed closely by a muffled explosion, taking out the cable hooks of the back compartment. One by one, I shot off all four explosive charges. With a muted hiss and crank, the train detached completely and tumbled down into the depths below, a huge cloud of smoke masking the rails where the train once was.

“That’s it, good riddance bitches,” Thunder waved at the destruction I’ve caused.” How’s it feel? To bring down something massive?” She wrapped a hoof around my neck and brought me up for a hug. My hooves were still trembling from the recoil, hot damn.

“That feels… good. But we haven’t had breakfast yet, have we?” I only just realized that we have not eaten.

“You just blew up months of food supply for the Orient and now you’re hungry, that’s just cold. We’ll eat in the car, c’mon.” Thunder winked at me and swooped up her rifle, tossing it in the back of the car.

“The Orient will not be happy.” I said sardonically.

“Oh they will be flippin’ furious, that’s sending a message, a train worth of cargo’s message.” Thunder sneered.

---

As we rolled up the driveway of the hotel, I noticed another jeep parked near the broken fountain.
“Who else might be here, I wonder.” Thunder got out and grabbed her rifle. We proceeded to Violet’s office for debrief.

---

“Vio, it’s done.” Thunder threw the rifle on a stand as she waved at Violet. She was conversing with a pony, who was leaning on the desk. Rose?!

“Roseluck? You’re alive!” I could not believe it; I threw up my hooves and pounced on her.

“Whoa, careful. Of course I’m alive, no need to go all crazy on me.” Rose giggled as she threw me off, who was pinning her on the floor.

“Erm… I don’t mean to break up your gay reunion, but really, good job on the mission, looks like Rose was right.” She turned to Roseluck.” You two go catch up with each other you gay bastards, I need to have a word with Thunder.”

“Let’s go Eve, I’ll show you around.” Roseluck seemed unusually cheerful, which freaked me out a little, who knows what she’s up to. I followed her closely.

“Eve, Rose! I may have something for you both later, so yeah.” Violet yelled.

One of her crazy devoirs, no doubt.

Author's Note:

A bit fast paced, i must admit. Next chapters onwards will be more in-depth.