• Published 14th Nov 2013
  • 430 Views, 7 Comments

OutLive - Lyraah



When Experiment 71 leaked into Equestrian grounds. Many were killed and civilization was scattered. One particular survivor was determined to uncover the truth as of how it really happened. She discovers a shocking twist... and must make a choice...

  • ...
5
 7
 430

Chapter 1: A Good Night's Rest?

"I promised... Please... Don't do this to me..."

“Sigh.” I rolled over and buried my head in my pillow; I had been working all day, doing absolutely nothing, as usual. I wrapped my hooves around my pillow as hard as I could.

“A massage would have been good, hmm…” I yawned, stretching my stiff body.

I glanced at the clock, 2 A.M.? It felt like I’ve been awake for years. I squinted my eyes on the television screen; a crude horror movie was being shown. The crap is that? I purposely switched off all the lights in the house to add to that eerie atmosphere, to be honest no horror movie have really freaked me out at the slightest, maybe just this one… Ah, that’s not important.

I already began dozing off on my comfortable pillow when my TV starts to go crazy and burst out in static; I immediately jolted out of my relaxed state.

"Wha-" I sprung out of my sofa and landed face first on the carpet. Such graceful reaction, to think I'm a trained enforcer, really embarrassing. I picked myself up and looked around; it was dark except for the TV which was still flashing. As if it wasn't creepy enough, my phone started ringing as I stared at it in horror.

"Eve, stop scaring yourself. That only happens in horror movies." Wait what. Only happens in horror movies? Great, that didn't help at all, I was feeling really edgy now.

Hesitantly, I levitated my phone up to my ear,” Hello?” I tried not to sound like a ghost.

“Eve, something horrible has happened!”

“Red Star? What? Why do you sound so flustered?” I casually asked.

“Of course I’m flustered! There’s an epidemic!” Red Star yelled through the phone, exacting her utter exasperation at the moment.

“Huh? Flu epidemic? SARS epidemic?” As you can tell, I’m not really the brightest, probably due to tiredness at that point.“Unless…” I managed to snap out of my confusion. Zombies?!

“Yes! You get your car; meet me at my place stat! I’ll tell you more later.” It seemed like she could read my mind for a sec. For Celestia’s sake, tell me it isn’t really…

"Zombies don't exist honey." I calmly replied.

“Of course it exists, I've seen everything! now GO!” Red Star screamed.

"Hello?" The line went dead.

My mind immediately went in all directions. What now? How? When? I know it was not the time to be panicking, but a zombie outbreak? That's unreal. I quickly got my coat and swiftly trotted to my garage. I opened the trunk and got my holster (don’t ask why I put that there), slipping my nightstick in it. My service pistol is in service, that’s one way of saying it, such luck. I strapped the holster around my hind hoof and got in my car. I paused for a moment, waiting for the garage shutters to lift, my mind scanning through all the zombie movies I’ve watched and games I’ve played. It still scared the shit outta me knowing that is was really happening. If it really happened...

I started up the car and drove out of the garage.

*Click* *Click* Radio’s not working, damn. I peered out of the windscreen; it was an utter mess, ponies running, packing their luggage, screaming. Ponies were calling for help, waving their hooves wildly trying to get somepony’s attention. It all seemed so real, I couldn’t believe it and I was actually not prepared for it. Nopony was. I let out a deep sigh. I could tell it was going to be a long night. My hooves were cold from the air-conditioning, cold sweat dripped down my forehead as I tried to make out the current situation. Red Star’s place was only at the end of the street and she was waiting. I stopped the vehicle and she quickly got in the passenger seat. I looked at her, I was concerned but also confused.

“C’mon, let’s go!” Red strapped on her seat belt.

“But where to?”

“Just go, I’ll fill you in along the way.” Red Star had a worried look in her eyes.

“Haven’t you seen the news? Some ponies working in the National Bio-Chemical Institute of Vanhoover got this ‘virus’ and started attacking innocent ponies…” Red said, eyes filled with anxiety.

Yep, we’re screwed, it’s definitely zombies.

“Too much bath salts?” I quipped.

“You’re still in a mood to joke about this? This is serious! There was like an experiment leak or something, Vanhoover isn’t the only city to be hit, Manehatten, Hoofington, Baltimare, and so on. That’s crazy! Its spreading fast as rabbits could breed. Almost half the city went mad.” Red Star was austere. I looked at her, keeping my hooves on the wheel and pedal.

“Only the city?” I asked. Red nodded.

“The research facility is in the city; of course it’s only the city that is affected.” She explained placidly.

“Look, I’m taking us into town, get some gear and find a military checkpoint or something.” I suggested.

“Gear is not mandatory and, just saying, what if there is no checkpoint?” Red Star added.

“That’s why we need gear.” “We can’t always rely on the military.” I pointed out.

“Right… Okay…” Red Star whispered despondently. “I just…”

“Look, we’ll be fine, okay?” “I promise you we’ll get out of this.” I assured her. I was just saying that to look calm, I was actually pretty frightened myself, but I didn't show that.

“Alright…”

*** *** ***

“The town’s a mess…”

I have never seen anything like this before. Police vehicles drove past, sirens blaring and flashing. Ponies were running, screaming. From a distance, I could see thick gray smoke billowing into the sky, flames greedily engulfing a shop house. Windows crack and splinter as sounds of more explosions could be heard.

“The hell was that?” Red Star asked.

“The pressure and the fire must have set a few gas cylinders off.” “That’s not good…”

Needless to say, the entire situation is a total chaos. Ponies could be seen scrambling around and running for their lives, shoving and pushing. Others are breaking into shops, conflicts erupted throughout the block. There was a stallion with a huge gash on his torso lying on the ground. Ponies running by took no notice of him, only fearing for their own lives.

“Look at that.” I peered out of the window. A few “zombies” were chasing after some ponies; some were feeding on dead bodies that littered the streets.

“Gross.” I mumbled.

“Eve! Watch out!” Red Star nudged me. I slammed my hoof on the brake. The car smashed into a container truck. I should have been focused on the road there. I tried reversing the vehicle.

“Doesn’t look too bad, hang on, I’m backing up. You okay?” I turned to Red.

Before she could say anything, a pony smashed the car window on her side, CRASH! Broken glass littered all over the dashboard and my coat as Red ducked, shielding her face from the shattered glass. “Get out! Don’t try anything stupid!” I was greeted rudely by a grey stallion, hovering a gun up my head. He was looking at me in an impatient manner, fidgeting and glancing over his back constantly.

“Okay… Get out…” I slowly got out of the vehicle and signaled Red to do the same, keeping my eyes on the hijacker. Just my goddamn luck. I can’t do anything about it as much as I would like to smash his face in. We stood back while he drove away with our only chance of survival.

“Now what do we do? You could have taken him thought, disarm him and get his gun.” Red asked with a frustrated look on her face.

“It is harder to disarm him when he is using magic to hold that gun.” I remarked.

“Anyway, we can find another way, I’m sure we can.” I patted Red on the back and hurried down the street. It felt more chaotic out here than in the car, more vulnerable and much closer to these mindless flesh-eating zombie-ponies.

“Um… Eve? Those things can run.” Red nudged me again, I turned down the street and saw a huge horde of ponies running towards our direction, both infected and not. The infected were screaming and howling viciously, bent on tearing everypony apart.

“We gotta go.” I blurted and pulled Red in the opposite direction. Red began bolting in front of me. Calamity ensued, ponies grabbing their belongings and making a run for it. Some infected managed to get their hooves on several unlucky individuals. Police units were firing and trying their hardest to push back the infected. Vehicles were crashing all over the district; ponies were bleeding and looking for their loved ones.

“Red! Look out!” I shouted as a compact vehicle came smashing through the light pole, narrowly missing Red and plowing at top speed against a SUV. The front of the car was crushed beyond recognition and repair. The windows and windscreen were shattered and parts were flung all over the vicinity. Red stumbled and fell but quickly regained composure.

“I’m fine… That did scare the-” Red stopped mid-sentence as an infected ran straight for her.

BAM!

A shot punched right through the zombie-pony’s head and down it went. Blood and gore splattered on the asphalt road. I quickly pulled Red from her daze.

“Behind you!” I yelled at the gun-wielding pony that saved Red’s life. She jumped and pointed her gun at the infected running towards her.

BAM! BAM! BAM!

Two went down, but one managed to knock her down to the ground. She dropped her pistol and struggled with the zombie. I saw the incoming horde and made a split second choice…

I levitated the pistol and slotted it in my holster, replacing the nightstick with it.

“C’mon.” I muffled under my muzzle, nightstick between my teeth.

“But… what about…” Red looked back.

“I’m sorry, we must go now!” I dragged Red into the alley on the left.

“But she saved my life!” Red protested.

I stopped for a second, looking deep in Red’s resentful cyan eyes, “Look, I just want us to be safe, at any cost. You are my best friend… I don’t want anything to happen to you. Believe in me… I will get you out safe.” Great. My heart felt deep into the void, leaving a pony to die, what was I doing? I cast my thoughts aside and focused on finding a way out of this hell hole.

“Eve… I…” Red wrapped her forehoof around me and let out a deep sigh. “Thank you.”

“Let’s get going.” I lifted my head up and gently pushed her away, my determination to survive grew stronger as I slammed the fence gate shut and hurried down the alley. Red followed swiftly.

BOOM!

An explosion rang out, a much larger one than the ones I heard in the car. Screams and the incessant blaring of sirens could be heard throughout the street. I pressed my back on the edge of the wall and took a peek.

“Everypony fall back to the Eclipse District!” A pony wearing body armor and carrying a SMG shouted. “We have lost the west end of the town, pushing back now over!” I hear him speaking through a receiver. He fired a spray of bullets down the street and retreated.

“Hey!” I called out.

“Go! That way! We’ve locked down that district, you should be safe!” He pointed towards the museum and shoved us aside.

“We have to get in the museum! Eclipse District is on the other side!” I galloped as fast as I could, Red noticeably lagging behind. She was panting and shivering like mad.

“What’s wrong? You alright?” I rubbed my face on her wings, nudging her forward. Damn she was freezing cold.

“I… I can’t go on, it’s cold…” Red trembled violently, she was clearly fatigued.

“The fires and intensity of this whole situation should be enough to warm you.” I tried to push her. “Anyway, here, put this on.” I took off my coat gave it to Red.

“Thank you… Eve?” Red stammered diffidently as she received the coat.

“We HAVE to go! We’re close!” Red nodded as she put on my coat. We made a break for the museum; my heart was palpitating rapidly against my ribcage. This is it. We will be safe at last.

*** *** ***

“In here, now!” I shot a glance into the disarray of the streets outside. Red ran in and I shut the entrance doors behind us. I pressed my back on the double doors, breathing a sigh of relief as I tried to catch my breath.

“Are we safe?” Red asked, her eyes filled with hope and concern.

“Yeah… Ye-“ My eyes went wide as I saw a zombie creeping up on Red, it hissed menacingly, bearing its teeth at me.

“Get down!” I shrieked, pulling out the pistol with my hoof. Red squeaked and threw herself to the marble floor. I focused my magic on the trigger and aimed down the sights.

BAM!

The shot lodged itself in the zombie’s dome and it fell clumsily, blood splattering on a display case like tomato sauce. I holstered my gun.

“The door!” Red pointed to the entrance. A few zombies were clawing and lunging at the door, eager to get to us and chomp down on our flesh. They were attracted by the loud gunshot, probably. The doors shook violently.

SHIT!

I slammed my back on the only barrier between us and the infected. I could hear the furious moaning and growling of the zombies outside.

“Red! Find… me a lon- Damn it!” I let out a grunt as I focused all my weight on the doors. “Long stick thingy!” I finished my sentence. Seconds felt like minutes, and I’m really exhausted, I can go down anytime and I would not want that to happen… Not with Red still in danger… I can’t…

“Here!” I snapped out of my weariness as Red threw a metal golf club at me. Who keeps golf clubs in museums? I did not bother to ask. I caught it with my magic and braced myself, took a deep breath and separated myself from the door.

Ahh! I forcefully shoved the club between the golden handlebars. Done! I heaved a deep sigh of relief as I wiped a sweat of my brow, the zombies outside still trying to get to us. I was drained of all energy in me and I gently plopped myself on the floor.

“That was really close!” Red sat down next to me, nuzzling me on my shoulder, her breath brushing lightly on my fur. I could hear her heart beating briskly in her chest. At least we were safe…

“C’mon, we gotta go, it’s not over yet.” I motioned for us to move.

SCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCH!

What. The. Fuck. I froze in place, unable to move. My ears are ringing. We are definitely not alone, and this place is definitely not safe.

“Stay close to me.” I instructed, inspecting the surroundings. The air was unusually cold and stale. It doesn’t help that the museum was pitch-black. I hovered my pistol to my neck level, keeping it pointed within my ‘cone of vision’. Red Star hid behind a display case, still shivering from fear and the cold. My magic was faltering; I can’t go on like this forever. The blue aura enveloping the pistol is flickering and my eyelids are slowly drooping. A loud screech tore the silence apart.

“EVE! HELP!” Red screamed at the top of her lungs. From the corner of my eye, I could see an infected charging straight for her. It slammed her on the hard marble floor, attempting to take a bite of her.

“NO YOU DO NOT-“ I rushed to her aid and gave the zombie a powerful kick to the side of the face, staggering it. The zombie screeched in fury as I targeted my gun on its head, I took a deep breath, and-

SMACK!

I was flung off my hooves by another zombie and thrown several feet away from Red, I lost my focus and dropped the gun beside her. The infected pony pinned me on the floor, hissing and chomping its jaws at me furiously as I directed my face away from its sharp fangs. I could see Red still struggling with the former zombie; she shot me one look and slid the gun to me. I was appalled, why did she do that?

I grabbed the gun with my hoof, retracted my hind legs, and gave the zombie restraining me a mighty buck in the abdomen.

SCRRRRREEEEEE-

BAM!

I fired a shot which tore through its legs, immobilizing it.

BAM!

Another shot pierced through its eye, killing it instantly. I turned to Red.

“GET THE FUCK-“I pulled the trigger, “-OFF HER”

The next thing I know, the infected pony was dead. Red was whimpering in pain and agony as I knelt down beside her. I saw the scratches on her hoof and I instantly froze on the spot.

“No…no…nononono, NO!” I propped Red against the display case. “Red, no…”

“Eve… I’m sorry. I… really am.” Red held my hoof up frailly.

“Why did you DO THAT? You could have defended yourself!” I was sobbing uncontrollably; tears flowed down my cheek in streams.

“I wanted to defend you… I did not think about saving myself… I can’t just leave you…” Red sputtered, a sudden twinge made her twitch in pain.

“I… I promised you… We will get out of this, I will protect you! I don’t want anything to happen to you…We are so close…” My tears are smoldering my eyes, I was trembling, and my whole body is quivering. “No… We will find a way, C’mon, I’ll carry you…” I wiped away my tears and flexed my hooves.

“NO! Just… just leave me…” Red looked right into my eyes, knowing that there was nothing left for her.

“I won’t leave you!”

“Eve! You saw what’s out there, this is fucking real, I am bit and I WILL turn… I just…” Red closed her eyes. “Please… please don’t leave me to turn…” She continued, a tear trickling down her cheek. “Please…”

“I can’t do it…” I looked at her, my face warm with tears. Why does this have to happen? It’s all my fault. I could have done something…

“Promise me, I can’t stand the thought of turning… Promise me you’ll do your best to survive out there. I believe in you... Believe…”She added weakly. I reached for my gun, hooves shaking vehemently.

“I… I can’t…” I dropped the gun, “I just can’t bring myself…”

“Eve. I would rather die than become one of those monsters… This is my final wish…” Red was adamant, “You are my best… friend, don’t weep for me… I… I love you Eve…” I couldn’t contain myself anymore, my lips quivered as hot tears coursed down my face. But I knew what had to be done, I snapped out of it. I pulled back part of my coat she was wearing, revealing the huge gash on her shoulder, crimson red blood soaking her fur. I cringed.

“You saw it… It’s getting worse… Please…” Red was almost begging me.

“I… I love you too; I won’t ever forget you…” I picked up the gun once more, hooves still wobbling and numb as I lifted the black handle of the gun with both hooves.

“Eve, I want you to have something...” “Under my wing…”

Huh? I gently lifted her fragile wing, Red shuddered. A photograph fell out from between her coverts. I remembered this photo… It was taken a long time ago, the Eve and Red Star in the photo was smiling, and they were happy… It was a picture from a few years back...

“You… You kept that with you?”

“Yes… I want you to know, that every time… you feel down, feel… hopeless and lost… Take a look, remember all the happy times we used to share, remember that in the dark, there’s always a light… And I’ll always be with you…” Red took a long deep look at me with her cyan eyes and took a deep, painful breath. I sniveled and slotted the photo in my holster.

“I will always remember you…” I held the gun up, a weak magical aura forming around the trigger. Things could have been different, everything could have been fine. Why do this to me? I gazed at her for one last time. She smiled at me and shut her eyes.

I pulled the trigger.