• Published 9th Nov 2013
  • 580 Views, 12 Comments

The Land Where We Once Stood - TheExhaustedBrony



Applejack had given her life to save Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle from the plague ponies. It's now Apple Bloom's turn to defend herself from the horrors of ten years ago.

  • ...
 12
 580

Prologue

"NOOOOO!" Apple Bloom shot up in her bed, eyes full of tears, "Not again..." Apple Bloom brought her hooves to her face and cried.

Ten years ago, when the plague swept across Equestria, Apple Bloom almost lost everything. She lost her home, her family, and many friends. For ten years, she's been having the same nightmare that is a constant reminder of the horrors that don't want to be forgotten.

Each time, Apple Bloom finds herself at Sweet Apple Acres. The sun is shining bright and through the rows of red delicious and firesides, in the distance, she can see Applejack. Using all of her strength, she runs as fast as she can towards her, calling out her name. Applejack is turned around and doesn't seem to acknowledge Apple Bloom, despite her shouts.

As the yellow filly draws closer to her sister, she gets an ominous feeling. When she's within reach, Applejack slowly turns to reveal the disfigured face of a plagued pony. Afraid, Apple Bloom calls out to Applejack, hoping her words will reach. Unfortunately, the farmer lunges at her sister, pinning her on the ground. The last thing Apple Bloom sees before she wakes up is the bloody maw of what was once her sister.

***

Apple Bloom went another night without sleep, making that night the seventh in two weeks. She didn't want to go out today but she promised that she'd meet with Sweetie Belle at the cafe down the street.

"Alright," Apple Bloom sighed haphazardly, "Up I go." The mare hopped out of her bed and exited her apartment.

The streets were filled with ponies going about their lives. It was as if they had all forgotten. Of course Apple Bloom knew for a fact that wasn't true, but it was hard to shake that feeling. She envied and resented them for being able to live without constant fear. Apple Bloom found herself staring at the ground again, ignoring everypony.

"Apple Bloom!" A familiar voice made her raise her head.

"Sweetie Belle." Apple Bloom smiled, increasing her pace. Sweetie Belle wasn't like the others. She always brought Apple Bloom out of her despair.

As Apple Bloom neared Sweetie Belle, that same ominous feeling came back, causing her to stop dead in her tracks. Her legs began to tremble and she fell to her knees.

"Apple Bloom?!" Sweetie Belle rushed over to her friend and helped her up.

Apple Bloom reached out her hoof and touched the unicorn's face, "Sweetie Belle. How are you doing?"

Sweetie Belle's expression changed from being scared to being irritated, "Don't you 'how are you doing' me! What happened? You really scared me!"

"I'm sorry. It's just that it happened again."

Sweetie Belle sighed, "Apple Bloom. Lets go. The cafe is just across the street." Sweetie Belle put her hoof around Apple Bloom and guided her to the store. She brought her to one of the tables outside and pulled out a chair, ushering for Apple Bloom to sit, which she did. She then took her own seat across from her.

"Apple Bloom." Sweetie Belle looked right into the yellow mare's eyes, "Let it out. Tell me what happened."

Apple Bloom explained her dream to Sweetie Belle again. This wasn't the first time she had discussed this with her. For years, the two ponies would meet and every so often, Apple Bloom would bring up the dream she had during their conversation. Sweetie Belle was used to it.

"Sweetie Belle," Apple Bloom looked towards the street, watching the ponies passing by, "When I got close to you, I felt the same thing I do in my dream when I get closer to Applejack."

Sweetie Belle raised her eyebrow, "What do you think it means?"

"I'm not sure. I just got this feeling like something bad is going to happen."

"Apple Bloom, nothing bad is going to happen."

"But what if it does?" Apple Bloom began breathing faster, "What if it happens again?"

"Apple Bloom! Enough!" Sweetie Belle rose from her seat, "The last infected pony was destroyed eight years ago! You have nothing to be afraid of." Sweetie Belle was starting to lose her patience. She's been trying very hard to keep her friend from going over the deep end. Her constant efforts don't show too much improvement.

"But what if-"

"Apple Bloom, stop it! You need to calm down." Sweetie Belle stopped her mid-sentence, "Even if it were to happen again it wouldn't last very long. We've learned a lot since that time and ponies know how to handle it so that the events from ten years ago wont happen again. Besides, we're safe here in the city. Remember the wall." Sweetie Belle pointed off down the street and what used to be a direct road that lead out of the city is now blocked off by a twenty foot wall.

"I know I'm being irrational. But you know just as well as I do what happened to us. We nearly lost everything we hold dear!"

"Of course I remember." Sweetie Belle lowered her head with a heavy sigh, "I'll never be able to rid myself of those memories. However, it's in the past and if we want to continue living, we have to forget it as much as possible."

"How could you purposely try to forget your family?!" Apple Bloom retorted in disbelief.

"I know it's terrible, but every time I recall my sister, I break down. I just want to live my life and if forgetting about Rarity is the way to do it, so be it. I'm sure that she'd do the same."

The two remained silent for a while. Everyone has different methods of coping. While Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle were both together to share the same experience, when indescribable events such as the ones in Ponyville happen, ponies change. For better and for worse, they are both fighting a battle within their minds.

Author's Note:

This is just a short prologue. Chapters will be longer, I swear. Feel free to point out any errors you see in the story. I really wanted to get this out to you guys so I may (read: most likely) have overlooked some things.