• Published 5th Nov 2013
  • 2,743 Views, 99 Comments

The Return - John 117



Marcus's new peaceful life is interrupted; to keep his family safe he must do what he swore to never do again.

  • ...
8
 99
 2,743

Chapter 10: Family Through Fire

“I thought you gave all this up.” Marcus stopped packing his gear when he heard her voice. He knew Fluttershy would come by with the others when she found out the mission plans. Or at least the part where he had to go fight against an unknown force. Numbers, equipment, tactics, almost all of it would be to some degree a surprise. But it was what he had lived for most of his life, and he knew how to fight a war like this. Fluttershy hugged him from behind and wrapped her wings around him as best she could, a gesture she had grown accustomed to giving. She sighed and shook her head.The smell of freshly cut grass and tilled earth filled his nose as her soft mane brushed against his face. He took in the scent, remembering it for when he would be away from her. He turned around and hugged her back, burying his head in her mane.

“I did. Trust me there’s nothing more I’d like to do then to toss all this armour off and have Twilight turn me back….” Fluttershy pulled away and shook her head, smiling at him with soft tears in her eyes.

“No you silly filly...you don't get it. This, terrible as it is, is your special talent. It’s what you were meant for. Embrace it, like I’ve embraced you and all that you are.” He looked her in the eyes and held back tears,kissing her lightly on the muzzle and touching their foreheads together. Twilight and the others joined their hug, and they stayed quiet for a few moments, taking the fact that this might be the last time they’d see Marcus for some time. Pulling away, Marcus grabbed his bag and equipment and headed out the tent behind the group. Applejack walked up to him with a small rucksack full of something that smelled a little too good.

“Ah brought ya something to nibble on while you're gone. Thought this would be better than anythin that those military cooks could ever whip up.” She handed him the bag and he checked inside only to find an assortment of goodies from a small apple pie to fritiers to just plain whole apples.

“Twilight did some of her magic to make it bigger on the inside. There a heck of alot more stuff in there then ya’d think.” She gave him a firm wink and a pat of the back and walked back to the group. He thanked her and spotted Spike walking up with a little bit of discomfort. He’d been getting a few too many growth spurts lately and was starting to get a big as Twilight. He Finally showed what he had in his claws; two rather large purple scales.

“These were a bit loose, so I figured you might need them. Nothing can pierce a dragon’s hide, or at least that's what Twilight said. I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone and give these to you. You know, more armor and stuff.” Marcus laughed, known the armor he already had would probably be overkill. He thanked him none the less.

“Thanks Spike, they’ll come in handy.” He placed both in a secure pocket in his armor to be fitted on at a later time. The others came too; Dash had a pair of weather team goggles she gave him just in case his helmet was missing at some point; Pinkie offered him her cannon, but he politely declined, saying that the unit already had a few of their own. Not taking no for an answer, she made him take something what he wasn’t quite sure how she got; an energy dagger. It had enough power for one or two hits, but that would be it. Not wanting to question her power to defy known, well, everything, he accepted the gift. Rarity, at a loss as what to give to a soldier bound for war, gave him a pair of boots made of the finest faux leather she could get. They were just his size, and looked combat ready in case the need arised. Then Twilight walked up, with a large package wrapped in cloth in her purple aoura. She set it down before him and undid the wrapping.

“I did some calculations, going through how you seem to fight and the resources you had at your disposal and well….I came to the conclusion that you’d run out of ammunition sooner or later. So I had the best smiths in Canterlot make this for you.” She then lifted a single handed double edged sword to him. The pommel was long enough so that he could get two hands on it if need be, but it was clearly meant for single handed use. He tightened his grip and pull the blade free of its scabbard. It was a dual edged weapon made out of what looked like some of the purest steel he’d seen among the guard.

“Crucible steel.” He said with a small amount of awe. It was some of the best smithing someone could do. The blade was almost the length of his arm span, and shone with a bright hue. It was decorated with gold or silver. It had no detailed carvings. All it had was a single word quickly scratched onto the blade and put through a quick acid bath. Home.

“Its not the best name for a sword, but know that as long as you have it, home will be with you.” What she failed to understand was was that it was a firm reminder of what he was fitting for now. A home. He strapped the scabbard to his back with the cloth it came wrapped into his back and put away the sword smiling to his friends.

“Thank you guys...I’m thankful for all of you.” They all coughed a bit and looked around, trying not to make eye contact.

“Darling..” Rarity spoke up, “You still have one last present.” Marcus looked around and found Fluttershy, ready with a single wing up. He approached her and kneeled in front of his wife.

“When you left me to fight the Covenant, you took one of my feathers. Later you would go on to tell me that it gave you strength. I see no reason now why you shouldn't do the same.” She then leaned in and plucked a small non primary feather from her wing and dropped it in his outreached palm. He closed his hand gently and hugged her.

“Come back to me again, brave knight.” They both cried tears of goodbye as the call to arms was raised. He pulled away with such reluctance. He almost considered not going, but her words to him rang deep in his heart.

It’s what you were meant for. Embrace it, like I’ve embraced you and all that you are.

He stood up, and marched with his gear and his new gifts to the mustering circle, the 6 of them right behind to see him away.

“ Soldiers. aTT-ENTION!.” All of the men assembled snapped to attention, Luna’s bright moon in full glory and high in the dark night sky. Marcus marched up to Bullseye and snapped a quick salute to him.

“Sir, the men are ready and able.” Marcus nodded and shot a glance to the unicorns that surrounded them. the whole idea behind them was was that they would combine their powers to make a large teleporter. marcus caught sight of Emilie, who had already prepped for the mission. the same amount of magic would be needed to teleport just her because of the difference in distance. She needed to be teleported far behind the mountain range, close enough to the capital to give the Equis army in the mountain pass a chance. he saluted her, and she returned it as she was set away to some undisclosed location far inland of the griffon kingdom. Some of the unicorns collapsed from the toll it took on them. Other rushed forward to replace them as they were carried away. Then they assembled around his unit.

“Spartans!” he yelled. “We are going into an unknown. The area, those we fight, how they fight. But what I want from you is this. Do not focus on who you are fighting, but who you fight for! For you friends, your families, for your brothers and sisters in arms who stand side by side with you on the battlefield. But most of all, never forget; We fight for Equestria!” He shouted to them all. A bashing of shields on the ground and by spears echoed through the courtyard. The unicorns charged their magic as Marcus looked back to his friends and family, ending him away to hell.

Author's Note:

For those of you who don't know, crucible steel is an actual type of steel that was used in very rare swords called Ulfberht during the medieval ages. It was later rediscovered after the medieval era. I thought it fit.
The names of the swords, however, have yet to be understood.

This song helped a good bit for this chapter as well if you'd like to read and listen at the same time.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK-5Qzv-
A9k&index=38&list=PLwoEZ2u3oqLl6niNWA_s_SzsUDaBNyeSr]

All rights reserved to the artist of this brilliant piece of work.