• Published 5th Nov 2013
  • 2,730 Views, 99 Comments

The Return - John 117



Marcus's new peaceful life is interrupted; to keep his family safe he must do what he swore to never do again.

  • ...
9
 99
 2,730

Chapter 2: A Day's Work

Marcus took to the skies as he left his home and wife behind, heading for the Apple farm and work. Before his shift started, however, there were a few things he needed to check up on and see if they were still in good condition. On orders from both Princess Celestia and Luna, Marcus was forced to keep his MJIOLNR Mark V variant armor and his weapons. They had even gone as far as to craft a few he had given the schematics to as well as ammunition. They had all the elements they needed; they just needed someone to show them how. U Thanks to the science section of the Equestrian Military, underneath the Apples barn was a fully stocked and well-kept weapons cash, were it held his armor and anything he needed for a fight in case the situation ever arose where he would need them .He swore he would never put the stuff on again, but he couldn’t refuse an order if it was well placed. If ponies lives were at stake, well, he may have to put his pride aside and put that damned armor on. As for how he would ever even get back into his human form, well, now that Twilight seems to somehow be a princess as well, she said she could perform the spell to change him back.

As Marcus sored through the air, he could see the weather teams moving away the clouds from last night’s storm. It had been quick, and ended before Marcus ever woke up. The needed it. For whatever reason, it had been a rather dry summer. Contrary to popular belief among earth dwelling ponies, pegasi couldn’t make weather, they could just control it and place it were it needed to be most, but if there weren’t enough clouds, then there wasn’t going to be enough rain. Hence why Applejack was worrying about this year’s apple season; not enough rain, and the apple trees with start to die, as well as the Apple family’s livelihood. Marcus hoped for the best for them; they were good foke, and deserved everything they had and more. Marcus spotted the farm a little ways away and began to decent towards the ground, slowing down to where he could land in a gallop. His hooves touched the ground, but he slipped up a bit, his right hood catching a rock. He realized this all too late. At once he flipped over and onto his face, planting himself roughly onto the dirt. He skidded forwards a foot or two, and then stopped completely, his hind legs falling behind him in a heap. Marcus groaned; that had been the second time this week.

While taking off and the actual flying part was easy, what most ponies don’t realize is that landing is actually the hardest part, the part which Marcus had yet to perfect. He lay there awhile in the dirt until he heard chuckling coming a few feet away. With a small groan, Marcus lifted himself up to see Applejack and Big Mac walking his way, both grinning at his fall. Standing back up on all fours, Marcus brushed himself off and checked over his body for anything broken or hurt. His body wasn’t as resistant to harm since the change; that was something he found out the hard way. His implants and augmentations hadn’t transferred to this new body, for what reason no one knew, not even the princesses. They speculated that it was because they weren’t natural, but it was only speculation. It did make things a bit harder for Marcus; he virtually had to relearn to do things a little less physically demanding. Clearing her throat, Applejack brought Marcus back to the world from his thoughts.

“That would be tha third time this week Marcus.” Nodding, Marcus scowled. It used to be once a day, so he was getting better. He had only got the hang of actually flying a few months ago, but as they say, practice makes perfect.

“Hello to you too Applejack.” Marcus then nodded his head towards the large red stallion to AJ’s right, who politely nodded back. Big Mac had always been a stallion of few words, but what few had come to realize, Marcus being one of the lucky few, was that he was rather well educated. He just saw no real reason to show off or make known his smarts. Ponies more often saw him as the brawn of Ponyville; if you needed something fixed, torn down, or rebuilt, he was the stallion to call. Marcus himself had to call him up a few times to fix up the house that he and Fluttershy now shared. He had been a big help then. They had just started off, and Marcus was just getting used to his new body, so he couldn’t do much for a while. Now that he had control over his body again, though, it was time for him to get back to work; work with the Apples that is.

“So what’s the job for today AJ?” Nodding her head, Applejack turned and looked towards the southeastern field. It looked a bit dry, and some of it hadn’t been planted yet.

“Well, Applebloom and Ah could take the section that needs waterin’ in the southeastern field while’st you two get the rest of it tilled and planted. Think you’re up for more back-breakin’ work?” Marcus nodded, smiling to himself. While his augmentations hadn’t carried over, his natural strength had. He had been one of the stronger Spartan’s thankfully. How that worked out for his skill sets, he knew only but a bit. With hand to hand he kicked all kinds off as. But for stealth, well, it just seemed to work. He didn’t compare to Big Mac however with strength, but he came to a close second. The two trotted over to the barn silently, nothing really needing to be said. They usually saved the talk for the field; it kept things interesting and not as dull. Marcus walked over to his yolk and harness, Mac helping him where needed and vice versa. The two then set out to the field where the plows where set out for them. They connected their harness and began the long march towards the other end of the field, the plows digging into the deep, dry earth so that the seeds could be planted properly. It was hard work, and the two soon had sweat and froth covering their bodies. It was hot out, and no clouds could be seen in the sky. The two chatted quickly to the other between breaths, mostly about life and how the other’s family was doing. Soon the rest of the field had been plowed, but that was half the work. They then had to go back over the now plowed field and individually plant the seeds for the apple trees. This was the part where the two usually talked a bit more, neither of term in any form of physical demand. It was quiet nice actually.

“So Mac, how’s Ditzy doing? Any new changes I should know about between you two?” Marcus said with a smile. He was on his 7th rom, while Mac was a row ahead of him. Ditzy and Mac had been going out for a few months now, but it already had gotten serious. They two were inseparable in public, and neither of them found her rather clumsy behavior to be a nuisance. In fact, she was rather well put together when around him; far fewer accidents seemed to happen at least.

Mac smiled at Marcus and switched his piece of hay to the other corner of his mouth.

“She’s doin’ just fine Marcus, even got a raise from the post office. I…I was thinkin’ ‘bout havin’ ‘er move in with us maybe. Haven’t asked AJ yet, but I think she’ll say yes.” Marcus trotted over to Big Mac and clapped his shoulder with a hoof, a large grin plastered on his face.

“That’s great Mac; that really is.” Mac just nodded and said one word.

“Eeyup.” Laughing, Marcus went back to his work and finished up his row. They two then heard a loud ringing coming from the main house. Must be lunch time. The two set their seed bags down and trotted back up to the house.
______________________________________________________________________________________


Marcus and Big Mac stepped onto the front porch of the Apple family residence. Granny smith was as usual in her wheel chair rocking away, a small bit of saliva seeping from the corner of her mouth. Stopping suddenly, Marcus turned to Big Mac and gave a nervous smile.

“Mac, I’ll be back in a few. I just need to check up on some…things. 5-10 minutes tops.” Big Mac just nodded and walked inside. Marcus then turned around once he knew no one was around and slipped inside the barn. He walked over to one of the stalls and closed the door behind him. He then knelt down and reached for a piece of metal. Grabbing it, he pulled hard, and a loud groan was heard as the trap door slowly opened up to reveal a large underground cellar. This was where the Apples used to store cider for the winter, but it had now been repurposed to fit Marcus’s needs. Stepping down, Marcus flipped a switch that turn on a large set of lights. He looked around at what lay out before him. A cage with a wall of guns was to his right, while a few lockers that held ammunition and other assorted miscellaneous items. Then, in front of him, stood his armor in a kinetic field held up by magical stones. It stayed it shape, and looked as if someone was actually wearing it, if not for the purple glow around it. Marcus walked up to it and sighed; the mini factor was getting low, and Twilight and the other princesses didn’t know yet if magic could restore it or replace it.

“Whatever’s coming up…..this might be the last one you’ll be able to get through old girl...” Marcus sighed and shook his head. He was talking to armor, metal for Celestia’s sake. But this metal and him had gone through a lot together, and Marcus couldn’t help but feel some sort of attachment to it. Marcus walked away and climbed back up to the barn; turning off the lights behind him. Only the glow from the kinetic barrier shown in the room. Marcus didn’t know it yet, but that armor was going to get him through some of the toughest fights he’d had yet.