• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 665 Views, 19 Comments

Screw Loose and Screwball: The 2nd and 3rd of The Insane - TwistedSkittles



Part of the Insane series. Discord is all alone with only his chaotic thoughts to amuse him. So why not create a pony to keep him company? He already found the perfect one. But she is also another pony's target. And another pony's one and o

  • ...
1
 19
 665

A Sweethearted Morning

It was a sunny day out in Ponyville as Nurse Sweetheart walked up to the Canterlot Mental Hospital. She had brought a bag of cookies in the shape of bones. Sweetheart had the Cakes make the usual cookies, but shape them into bone. Her patient would would love them.

Sweetheart opened the glass door to the asylum, a eating one of the cookies. She walked up to the pony behind the counter, a yellowish Earth pony with blue curly hair. The pony was gathering papers.

“Good morning Snowheart.” She told the nurse as she joined her in grabbing papers.

Nurse Snowheart looked up at the sound of her co-worker’s voice and gave her a warm smile.

“Mornin,” Her southern accent as strong as usual. “Jus’ gettin some papers for the doc and…..are you eating….dog cookies?” Snow gestured to the half eaten cookie in Sweetheart’s hoof.

“No, they’re peanut butter, but I had the Cakes make them look like dog cookies. She already has too much kibble. A pony shouldn’t have dog food. It’s unhealthy.” Sweetheart explained.

“Ah.” Snow nodded as if in thought.

“Well, here’s the rest of the paperwork. I have to go check on her.” Sweet waved and then walked down the long hallway of the hospital. She came up to a perfect white. She pulled out a silver key and unlocked the door. It swung open to reveal a padded room.

“Hey girl.” Sweetheart smiled at the pony inside.

Screw Loose immediately began wagging her tail and panting happily. The blue mare had been put in a straight jacket, but seemed oblivious to it.

Sweetheart walked over and freed the pony from the jacket. The asylum feared what would happen to Screw Loose when she was alone. Luckily they trusted Sweetheart, and allowed Loose to be jacket-less along was near Sweet at all times.

"Look what I got for you." Sweetheart showed the pony the bag of cookies. Screw Loose barked happily and drooled.

Sweet dumped them out of the bag for her and then grabbed one for herself. As she chewed, she watched Screw munch on the cookies happily.

How strange it was to find a pony who thought she was a dog. When Sweet was still an average nurse, she filled through endless amounts of paperwork, trying to find anything she could of Screw Loose's past.

There was nothing but a small scrap of paper and a photo.

Shoeshine

Owner of Canterlot Shoeshop

Entered Canterlot Asylum May 18

Diagnosed with multi-personality disorder, mild anger issues, violence, mild bipolar.

Somepony had merely shoved them in a folder. The rest of Shoeshine's past remained hidden.

Now, Sweetheart was head nurse, along with Nurse Snowheart. They had found Screw Loose about four years ago. She had been assigned to take care of the disturbed mare, and both grew fond of each other immediately.

Although the doctors had once tried to cure Screw with therapy, medicines, and CAT scans, they had given up, for Screw could never be cured. Sweetheart respected the fact that Screw Loose thought of herself as a dog, and treated her kindly as one would care for a pet. In return, Screw would play ball and lick her master's pink cheeks.

Both took care of each other. Sweetheart had a best friend, and Screw Loose had a loving owner. It worked perfectly, a win-win.

When Screw was finished, she barked.

"You want more?" Sweetheart said. She sighed but rolled her eyes with a smile. "Alright, alright. But you're eating kibble when I get back." She said as she strapped Screw Loose back into her straight jacket. Then she walked to the door. "I'll be back in an hour or so."

Screw whined at the thought of her leaving.

"C'mon you know it's all the way in Ponyville. I'll see you in a bit." With that, Sweetheart closed the heavy door and it clicked behind her.

As she walked through the hallway when she saw a stallion in a lab coat walking up to her.

"Hello Doctor Feel Better." She said him as they met.

"Ah yes Candyheart my best nurse. I have good news for you." He said.

"Sweetheart," she corrected. "What's up doc?"

"We know you and your family live in Ponyville and you have a deep connection with Screw Loose. Since you constantly have to go back and forth Canterlot and Ponyville, you and Screw Loose shall be transported to Ponyville Hospital. You continue working with Screw Loose. You start tomorrow." Feel Better explained.

Sweetheart's eye lit up. "Oh....thank you sir....I think."

"You're welcome. Go on then." He nodded his head at the door with a smile.

As Sweetheart left the asylum, she heard a deep chuckle, as if somepony was laughing at her. Sweet looked around and saw she was alone. She frowned in suspicion and continued to the train station.