• Published 5th Dec 2013
  • 1,304 Views, 34 Comments

A Tyrant Uplifted - ToneCraft



A unicorn tries to right some past wrongs.

  • ...
0
 34
 1,304

What in the hoof?

Pinkie Pie continued to grin at the overwhelmed unicorn, "So. What's your name?"

A blue pegasus with a rainbow mane landed next to her, glaring a little bit at Sombra, "Pinkie, he's King Sombra, remember? The reason we're here?"

Does nopony around here have a normal mane? Sombra thought.

Pinkie let out a gasp, "YOU'RE Sombra? Oh, wow, you look so much different this time. Last time you were all big and shadowy and OOOoooOOOoooh and everything and scary Of course I never actually got to see you up close lasttime,butthewaythingsweregoingitwaskindahardtomissyouonthatgiantcrystalspikewhenyouweretryingtograbSpikeandwereyoulickingyourlipswhenthathappenedImeanwhatwaswiththat?OhandthenwhenSpikejumpedandShiningArmourthrewhiswifeatyouand..."

For the love of tartarus, Pinkie, shut up! Sombra begged internally.

The rainbow pony groaned a bit, "Pinkie Pie. We were all there, except Princess Luna. You don't need to recap."

Pinkie Pie grinned sheepishly, "Right. Sorry, Rainbow Dash."

------

Rainbow Dash turned to Luna, "Princess, what exactly are we doing here?"

"We're here to give Sombra a second chance," Luna replied. She then put on a smile, "You freed me from the darkness, after all."

The pegasus shook her head, "You were possessed, princess. We have nothing to say the same for that guy!"

The Princess responded calmly, "And he's done nothing to you personally. And while I wasn't in control when I first returned, that was only because I let it in. Besides, he doesn't even have the power he did before."

Sombra decided that continuing to listen to this conversation would be a bad idea, and went to the window, looking out over the city. It had been a long time since he had been able to cry, but the feeling had never lost its familiarity.

Sombra turned his attention to the door when he heard some kind of squeak. What he saw was another pegasus. This one was yellow, with a pink mane and tail, with butterflies on her flank. She looked like she was afraid to be here.

Behind her was an orange earth pony with a blonde mane and tail and apples on her flank. She was also wearing a large hat that Sombra didn't really know how to describe. Her expression towards Sombra said she didn't particularly trust him, but would be willing to let him have his chance.

Then the purple princess walked in, with a baby dragon sitting on her back. She didn't seem particularly interested in dining with Sombra, but she also didn't try to convince Luna about it. The dragon was snoring like a train.

That made it one, two, three, four, five, six, seven. Eight if the dragon is one of them. Where was the ninth?

"Sorry I'm late, everypony," A high-strung mare's voice came from the hall. As she stepped in, her presence alone was enough to intimidate him. She was white as snow, had a purple mane that was styled almost unnaturally well, and a tail of the same nature. She had diamonds on her flank. In a word, Sombra thought, rich.

------

"Sombra, is something wrong?" Luna asked, "It's been ten minutes and you haven't touched your food."

He didn't speak, only staring at the corner of the table. These ponies were just like the majority of the Crystal Empire; completely innocent, and would never have noticed him had he not struck out. He couldn't talk to them. Not yet.

"Okay, seriously," Applejack said, "You're making Big Mac look like a chatterbox. Speak up already!"

He opened his mouth to speak, before reconsidering and shaking his head. There's nothing I can say to them.

Rainbow Dash shook her head, "He doesn't need to talk. It wouldn't be any good, anyway."

"Rainbow!" Twilight Sparkle shot a look at her friend.

Luna stared at the pegasus, "He's my guest, Rainbow Dash. He's not the same as last time."

Rainbow Dash shook her head, "And that makes it all better? Oh, I'm sorry I forcefully took over a kingdom, enslaved them, and caused them not to exist for a thousand years!" her voice turned mocking as she spoke out.

"Rainbow Dash! Show some respect!" Twilight said, trying to diffuse the situation.

Luna shook her head, "No. She needs to be able to speak her mind. Rainbow Dash. Did you forget what I did? Or Discord?"

Rainbow shook her head as well, "You were possessed, and I still don't like Discord. Besides that, Sombra's reason for taking over wasn't like you wanting to be loved."

"How would you even know that, Rainbow Dash?" Luna countered, "Sombra's origins are a mystery."

"Stop..." Sombra said, standing up, "The pegasus is right. I took over the Crystal Empire because I wanted to hurt them. Princess, where am I staying?" He didn't even try to hide his emotions. There was anger, but it was directed at himself for doing what he did, and Luna for trying to defend it. There was sadness, because he knew he deserved whatever punishment they found effective, but also fear of what it would be.

That, coupled with the tears in his eyes, was enough for Rainbow to relent on her attacks.

Author's Note:

Can somebody help me stop the text from justifying?