• Published 5th Dec 2013
  • 1,309 Views, 34 Comments

A Tyrant Uplifted - ToneCraft



A unicorn tries to right some past wrongs.

  • ...
0
 34
 1,309

Vivit in Umbra Terrorem

It was a flash of light, and he was gone. There were no remains of the tyrant of the Crystal Empire. The new Crystal Princess took her throne, with the prince at her side. This was surely the end of King Sombra. But was it the end of Sombra, the unicorn? If he were given another chance, would he try to take over again, or would he try to make amends, like Luna, Discord, and Sunset Shimmer?

It had been nearly a year, and these questions still rattled in the Princess's mind. She looked at her reflection, with her element of harmony on her head, like she was supposed to make a public appearance. "Twilight?" Spike asked, walking in, "Is something wrong?"

Twilight Sparkle shook her head, "No, Spike. Everything's fine. You were out visiting Rarity, right?"

"Actually, Rarity's in Fillydelphia, showing some of her outfits. So I was talking with Sweetie Belle and her friends."

The lights went out. Though she was right next to the window, and it was early in the afternoon, Twilight was plunged into total darkness, only hearing a terrorized scream, that of a teenage stallion.

------

"Sombra, you really should come to school." Aurora Borealis said. She was white, with a multicolored mane and tail, mostly shades of deep blue and pale gold, though the colors seemed to shift constantly.

"Why?" The colt asked her, "Nopony likes me there. I learn just as much hanging around here at the library, and nopony makes fun of me here."

Aurora sighed, "C'mon, it can't be that bad. Just because you don't have a cutie mark yet--"

Sombra's eyes flared for a moment, "It's not just the cutie mark, Aurora! Everypony makes fun of me because I'm the only pony in the whole Crystal Empire who doesn't have a crystal coat!" His horn lit up with its aura and a book came down from the shelf. "Just let me get to my studies.. Please. You don't want to be late."

------

"Princess? Are you alright?" A guard stood next to Twilight.

She stood up and looked at him, "Didn't all the lights go out..?"

"Uh, Twilight..." Spike said, a worried look on his face, "You just collapsed. I sent a letter to Princess Celestia about it and rushed to get help. Not in that order, but..."

"Th-thanks, Spike, but was there some sort of scream afterwards?"

"Other than me screaming your name before running for help? No."

Suddenly, Spike looked a bit nauseous. A burst of green flame came out, and a scroll materialized.

Twilight focused for a moment, "I can't levitate it right now... My power's completely drained."

Author's Note:

By the way, the title is the working title for now. If anyone has an idea for something better I could call this story, I'd appreciate it.