• Published 21st Oct 2013
  • 295 Views, 29 Comments

Forgotten Memories - Star Saber



What happens when a Mare with no memories is kidnapped and the one Stallion who can save her knows nothing about her? When swords live and the Elements have been gone for years, how can an evil force be taken out when nothing is known about anything?

  • ...
 29
 295

Canterlot

Forgotten Memories
Chapter 5
Canterlot

The train ride was boring, much to everyone's dismay, there were no delays or anything to make it frustratingly interesting. The only thing that had managed to keep Breaker awake were his thoughts and a singular voice in his skull, one that he was quickly growing accustomed to.

"Breaker?"

'Yeah?'

"You never gave me my name."

'Oh...yeah...alright give me a few moments.'

"Alright. Take your time, it has been so long since I've been awake like this. Over a thousand years by my reckoning."

'More than a thousand years?! How old are you?'

"I don't know Breaker."

'Alright...alright...let me think on it for awhile.'

"Alright Star Breaker."

While he was absorbed in his thoughts Applebloom was thinking of things to do with him, things that she could do to keep him smiling. She knew herself that going to Canterlot would make him frown and remember things he didn't need to dwell on, like the statues of six ponies that were no longer here, including her sister, the one he was as close to as a relative.

"Applebloom?"

"Yeah?"

"I need a name."

"A..name? But you have one already..."

"Not for me, for my sword."

"Your...sword? But ya lost it didn't ya?"

"I wasn't being completely honest back in Ponyville."

"Really? Mah sis wouldn't be too happy with ya for that."

"I didn't have a choice. She would understand."

"Alright. Well be honest with me from now on alright?"

"I'll try to Bloomy..."

"Why do ya keep calling me that?"

"I don't have a clue."

"Alright. Well...I'll think of a name, you just focus on happy things alright?"

"Alright, I'll do that."

The rest of the ride was silent, brooding, and full of nothing more than tension. Star had wanted to avoid coming back to Canterlot for more than one reason, there were seven to be exact, six statues and one Princess.
///
It was dark out, the moon was full but it shed no light on Luna's tower as Breaker flew to the spire to the meeting with his superior.

"Princess Luna."

He bowed in a show of respect despite having been told numerous times that he didn't have to during these meetings.

"Star Breaker. You know you don't have to bow to me when we are alone like this."

"I know Princess. I do it out of respect for you."

"And you don't have to call me princess...how many times do I have to tell you that?"

"Always once more Princess."

"You are incorrigible Star Breaker."

They chuckled a little bit and then got down to business.

"I suppose you know why I contacted you once more?"

"Another Pony trying to do away with the proper government?"

"I hate asking you to do such a thing over and over."

"If it means keeping the peace I am willing to do whatever I am asked."

"I know...and that's what worries me."

"Worry? The Princess of the night? Nothing should worry you Princess."

"You do. Ever since that mission was over you haven't been yourself. What hapened over there?"

"I would rather not speak of such a failure Princess."

"Keep yourself healthy Star."

"I will Princess."

He knew what he had to do, ever since that mission failed he had thrown himself into his job, doing whatever was asked of him. He didn't question a thing, he merely went about his duties with silent understanding and vicious grace. Even his comrades had begun to be afraid of him, but he didn't care about them, he just wanted to become stronger, able to do more to protect what he had to.
///
It wasn't until later that he had found out that that had been a sham, Luna had forced him into retirement, a suprise party meant to be his retirement from Luna's court guard. He felt terrible coming back to this place, he didn't want to but the royalty needed to know about the incoming danger that nopony had ever seen before. It wasn't until the train stopped and the announcement blared that he came from his own thoughts enough to hear Applebloom talking to him.

"Breaker? Breaker are you alright?"

"Yeah...I'll be fine Applebloom. Let's just get this over with."

"Are ya sure that your alright?"

"Yes Applebloom. I'll be fine."

"That's not what I asked."

"I'm fine Applebloom."

"Alright...well let's go then."

They disembarked from the train to the hustle and bustle of Canterlot city, they didn't have anything to do except go to the castle for an unscheduled meeting with the Princesses, so that was the first stop here.

"I wanna go and see the sights."

"We will later."

"Why not now?"

"Because we need to talk to the princesses."

"And that can't wait right?"

"No...it can't...after that...we're going to go and...see them."

"Them?"

"Yes, them."

"Whose them?"

"The....the elements."

"Oh..."

They fell silent as they approached the castle gates, the guards there were obviously new and barred their way inside.

"Halt. What business do you have inside the castle?"

"We wish to speak to the Princesses."

"Do you have an appointment?"

"No."

"Then leave now."

"I'm afraid we can't do that. It's a matter of urgency."

"I'm sorry. But there are no civilians allowed in the castle at this time."

"Stand down guards. If you knew who you were speaking to then you would have allowed him inside without a problem."

They all looked up to see none other than Princess Celestia floating down from one of the spires to land gracefully in front of Star and Applebloom. Applebloom and the guards bowed but Breaker did not, there was only one Princess he bowed to and Celestia was not her.

"Princess Celestia. How...nice to see you again."

"I am certain that that is not why you are here. Come now Star Breaker. Let us go and talk of what you need."

The guards were stunned, Celestia had never spoken in such an informal way to a civilian unless it was her prodigy student.

"Of course. Do you mind if I bring Applebloom along? She's already involved with this seeing as she found-"

"The prophecy that was hidden thousands of years ago by my sister and I along with the original six gods of Equuis?"

"Yes. Why am I not surprised you know more about this than I do."

"Because I am meant to know."

"Of course Princess."

He shook his head as Celestia escorted them inside without another word to the guard, this was going to be harder than he thought. Applebloom trotted after them after a mere moment of surprise, the only one she had seen able to talk to Celestia like that had been Twilight, seeing her talk to another like that was mind boggling, just what had Star breaker been to the Princesses?

"I was Luna's court guard. And personal assassin. I could go where nopony would ever dare to. Me and my team were the best of the best. Until the failure."

"The...failure?"

"Yeah."

"What happened?"

Breaker was silent for a moment reliving that awful memory as they walked along the familiar corridors of the castle.
///
It had been more than four years since they had all been home, so far the mission was a success, but it wouldn't stop until everything was over. Not many Alamantians liked the fact that six ponies who had abandoned them were now the leaders of the tribes. It meant hell for everypony who backed them up and said that they were what the country needed. Everypony on this peace mission was starting to wonder if it was all for naught.

"This mission is of the upmost importance. We have to get this country to be at peace before we leave. We can't abandon it."

"But there's nothing we can do anymore."

'I agree dahling....we've done enough..."

"No. We haven't. It's been almost five years since any of us has seen home. Look forward to that when this is over."

"B-but...what about all of my cutesy wittle animals? They must be missing me by now..."

"Fluttershy...we have enough to worry about here. I have to make sure that Angel is alright, and we all need our rest. I'll be taking first watch tonight. Get some sleep."

"This is not awesome...it's completely ridiculous...we're stuck here without anypony but you three...and so far you haven't really done jack to help."

"Ah won't agree there Rainbow. Star Breaker has done mroe than enough to keep us safe. He's done nuthing but look out fer us ever since we got here. So he's made a few mistakes. Everypony aint perfect sugarcube. Let him do what he needs ta do so we can finish and get out of he-"

"AppleJack?"

"AJ?"

The next sounds from AppleJacks mouth were strangled and nopony knew what was going on. It seemed that in the darkness there were some water movers, and one had a hold to the liquid in AJ's throat, drowning her. Soon more strangled cries were heard as all around the elements were drowning, but the enemy wasn't able to be seen.

"Angel! Light us up!"

"Sorry Breaker...I can't do a damn thing right now! My horn is still cracked!"

"FUCK! PLASMA?!"

"No can do Captain! We're not equipped to handle this!"

"FUCK!"

The elements were dying, and there was nothing he or his team could do besides charge blindly, which would get them killed.

"We have to get them out of here!"

"On it Breaker!"

"Sir yes Sir!"

With two per pony they were dragging the six slower than what needed to be done, something had to be done fast, but there was nothing to do, Breaker alone couldn't carry them into the sky, it was too much weight for him to bear, Plasma's horn was still slightly cracked limiting her magic, and Plasma was doing his best to get everpony away. Sooner than expected there was silence, no more gurgling or sounds of strangling ponies, no breathing save for the three that were carrying two per, the sounds of hooves on the ground echoed in his ears before he stop.

"Company....halt..."

"What? Why Captain? This is hostile territory!"

"It's not hostile anymore Plasma..."

'What...what do you mean?"

"We....we failed..."

It took his two team mates a moment before it dawned on them, the elements weren't breathing or moving. They looked at Breaker when he stopped walking and closed his eyes.

"Breaker?"

"Captain?"

"Shit....Breaker?"

"Star?"

He set down Applejack and Twilight's bodies and began to breath harshly, this was the first mission he had failed in his entire career, and it cost the six most important ponies in history their lives, right now, he wanted to disappear forever, he didn't want to show his face back home, but he knew he was going to have to do that, he was going to have to tell everypony that the elements were dead, that they would never be able to keep the land safe again, and it was his fault, he had failed to keep them safe. He took a deep breath, deeper than any he had before and the force of his inhale was audible.

"FUCK! FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK!!!!!!"

His voice echoed in the darkness and made his mates cover their ears from the sudden scream that was given off.

"We...we failed...."
///
He was tapped on the shoulder lightly before he came back to reality, Applebloom was trying to snap him out of it. From what he saw through blurred vision was her, Celestia, and Luna all worried for him, that was before he felt the warmth of tears on his face. Had he been crying? He wiped his eyes with a hoof and shook his head before even attempting to speak.

"I'm fine. Stop with the looks."

"Breaker...you were crying...."

"No Applebloom I wasn't."

"Don't lie ta me! You were crying...you were lost in a memory weren't you?"

"He was indeed Applebloom."

"Don't...Luna....Just don't."

"As you wish Star Breaker."

"Thank....thank you."

"You are here to tell us something are you not?"

"Yes...."

"Then please. Tell us what is going on."

It took him awhile to collect himself and then he told the story of why he was here, and why he had brought Applebloom along, what had happened to his house and guest, his death, he spared no detail of what had gone on in the final days he had been in Ponyville. Both of them looked at him with incredulous looks, like he was never meant to survive, he shouldn't have in all honesty, his heart had taken it's last beat, he himself didn't know how he was still here. He had even gone on to tell them about the voice of the sword he kept hearing in his head, and how it hadnt been active for over a thousand years. It took the span of three hours to say everything before he fell silent.

"Well....this is not good..."

"I agree dear sister. It is fortunate that he has told us all of this. Now we can prepare for it."

"No Luna. We cannot prepare for this. There is no way to defend or beat this darkness."

"Art thou sure dear sister? Is there truly no way to defeat this foe?"

"There is one way."

Tia and Luna looked at the new voice, it had a feminine tint to it. What they saw were ice blue eyes and a lotus flower that was glowing on Breaker's chest, it seemed that the inner voice he had spoken about was speaking through him.

"Who...are you?"

"I am the blade that saved his life that night."

"Do you have a name?"

"Not yet I don't Celestia."

"All...right...Well tell us what you know."

"I am a blade meant to fight darkness. Forged from the very heavens when they were born. There are five others like me. All meant for the same purpose. To destroy evil in it's entirety. We are more powerful than the elements. More powerful than either you or your sister."

"Skip to the part where you tell us how you plan to defend us from what Breaker was talking about."

"Yes Princess. Me and my brethren blades have the strength to defeat this foe. We were crafted from what you would now call Star Metal. We were entrusted with the souls of the stars themselves to protect this world from harm. We were made even before you were born."

"How is that..."

"Possible? Simply put....we were part of the universe itself when it was made."

"I don't see..."

"How? Of course you wouldn't. You are still a mere foal compared to us."

"Where will you go now?"

"To find my brethren. One of which is in Alamante. Of that I am certain."

"Alamante...you know it's going to hurt him to go back there."

"To gain strength one must be reminded of the past. He has yet to move on from it."

There was a sigh from next to him and he looked at Applebloom with a soft smile.

"Come. We have tended to business here. Now we shall go and see the elements of harmony."

"Alright...but give Breaker back first...It's weird hearing a mare's voice coming from him...."

"As you wish Applebloom."

The glowing eyes dulled back to Breaker's normal color and the lotus on his chest faded once more before he blinked and then sagged on his hooves before Applebloom caught him and supported him.

"It...happened again didn't it?"

"Again?"

"I too am curious of this again."

"He did the same thing while we were at Sugarcube Corner...Ah mean...Pinkie's Snack Shack..."

"You have conversed with this being before?"

"Yeah..Ah have...it told me not to pry into his business and let him protect me..."

Tia and Luna shared a look before nodding and staring at the two before them.

"It would seem that there is more than you know going on between you and he Applebloom. That being will only confuse you to it. But listen to what it says. If it speaks the truth then more is at stake than just our world. Keep him well Applebloom. The truth may just surprise you."

"Ah...Ah don't understand Princess...."

"You will in time Sister of AppleJack."

"Well...Ah guess we'll be going then..."

"Farewell."

"Goodbye."

Applebloom supported Breaker until he could walk on his own and they left the castle, the whole thing left him in a world of confusion, what the hell was going on with him? He had never blanked out like this before, these memories never surfaced unless it was a nightmare, he still didn't know what to think of his sword being part of him and speaking through him, he didn't like this a single bit, and if he could go back and change everything, he would, but he wasn't a unicorn, and he didn't have access to the specialty magic required to go and change the past.

It took a while of walking through Canterlot before they stood at a large statue depicting six ponies wearing six nearly identical necklaces. This was it, the memorial and burying ground of the Elements of Harmony. He had things he needed to say to it before they could go and rest at an inn, it was here where things that were better left forgotten would come up. It was at this very spot where he would lay out his past to his companion, even if his words were not directed towards her ears. Maybe he could speed things up and leave for Alamante on the morrow. It would be easier than staying in this place where his mind would recoil at every thing that reminded of the six he had inadvertently killed.

Author's Note:

Well this is it...the history is about to come out. BUT...you'll have to wait a while..I have a few things to tend to here in the real world. Like moving and halloween....so for now I bid you adieu and hope you like this latest installment of my story. Catch all of you folks later!