• Published 21st Oct 2013
  • 295 Views, 29 Comments

Forgotten Memories - Star Saber



What happens when a Mare with no memories is kidnapped and the one Stallion who can save her knows nothing about her? When swords live and the Elements have been gone for years, how can an evil force be taken out when nothing is known about anything?

  • ...
 29
 295

Rebirth

Forgotten Memories

Chapter 1
Rebirth

The Everfree forest was large, dark and filled ponies full of fear, there was something about it that turned everypony away in fear of the danger that lurked behind the beautiful treeline bordering the small bustling town of Ponyville. The trees seemed alive, the very air was opposing and oppressive, there was one pony though, who was more afraid than the others, she had only recently been found scared for her life at the edges of the forest, with no memories, and a single message that made her keeper even more afraid of the forest "The evil one is back." No name, no description, just those words had sent a chill up and down the stallion's spine. There was no reason not to doubt the young mare with no memory of where she came from or who she was, but the fear in her voice at that time when he found her was too real not to believe. Now she was sleeping in his only bed while he was on the couch, simply waiting for her to wake up, it was dark outside, just like that night, the pegasi who ran the weather had been told that tonight was a clear night, he wished it would rain, he liked the rain, the soft sounds of the pitter patter on his roof, the relaxing sounds of thunder and the flash of lightning, it soothed him for some strange reason. Although, there was one thing that seemed to soothe him more, the grip of steel in his hooves, and the sound of a blade going through one who sought him harm.
"S-swords......"

He blinked when he heard the word and turned to see the pale white earth pony mare with ice blue mane and tail standing in the entranceway to the hall. Even while he thought of what she could mean, he had a sword, but it hadn't been used in years, and was safely hidden away in a small place underneath his bed, but with what this mare didn't remember, it was a dangerous time, even though the Princesses had made sure all was peaceful in the kingdom, there were things that never truly added up, call him a theorist, but when a pony arrives with no memory telling him something is back, all the peace goes down the drain, and with the Elements no longer active, or living, it doesn't look too good. After closing his eyes for a moment to sort things out he opened them and nodded.

"Alright...what swords? I only have one here."

"The legend blades, their aura is alive..."

"Aura? Like...what? You mean the swords are alive?"

"Yes. And you have one under your bed."

He opened his mouth to say something further when a crash rumbled his one bedroom home sending dust from the rafters, being a pegasus meant he needed a high vaulted roof just in case somepony came to rob or kill him, he had done some atrocious things in his past, things that were better left forgotten, but with his home shaking like there was an earthquake rocking the land beneath him, tossing his and his guest's balance before he could get into the air.

"Your sword! Go and get your sword Star Breaker!"

He was in the air faster than he he knew he could and jetting past the nameless mare towards his bedroom watching as the roof began to splinter sending shards of wood and glass down around him, his thoughts were only on her words, she knew his name and she knew he had a blade, how was out of his thoughts as years of training hit him, he NEEDED that sword in his hooves, if only to get rid of this...whatever it was attacking his home, needed to go away, and if this was the only way, then so be it. A scream sounded from the hall that sent him into a protective mode as he ripped floorboards away and grabbed the case that held a blade that was curved in a deadly way, had a bit grip that fit him perfectly, and in any other hooves, would be heavier than they could lift, how was unknown, all he knew was that he could lift it, and he could use it to deadly means.

"LET ME GO!!! PLEASE I DON'T WANT TO GO WITH YOU!!!"

"......No......Princess....."

Princess?! There was more after that but he didn't understand it at all, the thing was talking nonsense, another language entirely as the house crashed down around him while he fought to get out of the ruined wood and glass structure he had adored and lived in for the last ten years, that was before he fell, adrenaline was running high in his body so he never noticed the single shard of glass coming at him until it had pierced his chest stopping him cold mid takeoff. His eyes widened as his breathing quickened and blood flowed like a river down the glass staining it red while his vision became clouded and unfocused as the pain started to become apparent and then dulled as every heartbeat created a new laceration from the glass speared through the life giving muscle.

'No....It can't....it can't end like this....'

Thump thump

'What did I do to deserve this?'
Thump thump
'I've lost.....everything....'
Thump......thump
'Am I.....going to die here?'

Thump...........thump

'I....I can't die here....'
........Thump..........thump
'I don't want to die!'
"Do you truly not want to die?"

'Who...who said that?'

"Do you truly not want to die here?"

'No! I have....I have someone that needs me!'
"Then stop thinking and do something about it."
'But......I'm dying...there's....I can't breathe....I can't...move...'
"Then I'll move for you. How does that sound?"

No more beats, no more sound, he was dead to the world as his body spasmed and he released his final breath and the glass cracked as his eyes closed, there was a soft pulsing from the blade that had been dropped, as if it were truly a living entity. The pulsing grew as a light enveloped the length of it, changing it to form an ethereal ponylike form with the blade at it's center pulsing like a heart would as the being removed the shard from his owner's chest and flowed into him blade and all.

"I will change you. I will live inside you, keeping you alive until you have fulfilled what you so desire."

Star Breaker's body glowed for a mere moment in the shattered remains of his home, the darkness gone with the captive mare believing her protector was dead. In a mere hour of time Star Breaker was healed a mark appearing on his chest where a scar should have been, it was a flower, it looked like a lotus at first glance. Before it started pulsing.

......Thump....Thump
...Thump....Thump
Thump....Thump
Thump thump
Breaker gasped as his eyes flew open and he tooking heaving lungfuls of air and stood shakily in a pool of his own blood and looked around at his broken home before he closed his eyes, he had lost everything in one night, his home, his guest, his life. He looked at himself and blinked, he hadn't been changed, he still felt the same, but didn't he just die? He was breathing, his heart was thumping in his chest, he shook his head and trotted out of the wreckage before sitting down and thinking.

'What in Celestia's name just happened? I died...but...I'm not...'

"No. You did die, I brought you back from that dark place."

He heard the voice and searched for it seeing nopony around him he shook his head again.

'I must be hearing things...'

"No Star Breaker. You are not hearing things. You are hearing me. You are hearing the one thing you have kept in your possession since your father gave it to you."

"My...Sword?"

"Yes. Though...I am not your sword anymore. I am part of you now, but...I can still become that blade which you have carried with you."

This was not happening, not to him, not to the calmest pony in Ponyville, something like this just didn't happen to him, something like this hasn't happened since the Elements were around, evil didn't just spring up on a whim anymore and threaten the world, so why now, why of all times did this have to happen, and why is that mare so important to whatever kidnapped her? He needed to find somepony who knew about this, he needed to go to the Sparkle memorial library in the center of Ponyville.

Author's Note:

First chapter of something random...criticism is welcome but no bashing please, it's my first one and I was told I can write pretty well.