• Published 20th Oct 2013
  • 2,585 Views, 90 Comments

Letters for Cheerilee - MephileztheHam



A lonely Cheerilee has nothing going for her in life as she spends her days grading papers and dealing with rowdy students. But one day she gets a letter from a secret admirer and her life starts to change, but is it for better or for worse?

  • ...
8
 90
 2,585

Chapter 6: Depression and Hope

Day one of unemployment, nothing much has happened which is no surprise. The time was two pm and here I am trying to keep myself entertained with my romance novels. Looking over to the ever growing pile of books and empty ice cream containers on my coffee table I couldn't help but feel disgusted with myself. Why don't I try talking with Paperweight again? Surely there is something I could do, but is there really? Filthy Rich, that bastard ruined everything.

“And don't forget he gave your boss your ex's resume, thus leading to him stealing your job” added my conscience.

“Gee, thanks for reminding me. Bucking Mortar, took my job....of all the shitty luck! First he breaks my heart, then he tries to get at me in a random alley and now he took my bucking job! Son of a bucking bitch!” I roared, not caring that the citizens of Ponyville heard me. I jumped off my couch, tossing the book and half empty ice cream bowl I was using at the wall. With a satisfying squelch the little container exploded, littering rocky road all over the carpet.

“Feel better, sugar?”

“A little bit, still down and pissed....buck everything!” I yelled once more, kicking my coffee table leaving a dent on the already abused piece of furniture. But before I could continue my tantrum there was a knock on my door. I instantly fell silent, maybe they would leave if I acted like nopony was home. Another knock, just leave me alone whoever you are! Again, another bucking knock. Just leave already!

“Cheerilee, I know you're in there! Open up this door, we have to talk!” Lyra, ugh I don't want to talk to anypony right now. Just leave, please just leave....

“I'm here too, Cheerilee. Just open the door so we can talk, we heard about everything from Scootaloo” Bonbon was with her too huh? And they know about everything supposedly, fine. With a sigh I went over to the front door and swung it open, not even caring to check to see if I was presentable. On the other side stood Lyra and Bonbon, both looking genuinely concerned.

“Oh my goodness you look like a mess, what have you been doing?” Bonbon asked as she pushed past me into my home, dragging me by the hoof and forcing me to sit on the couch. Lyra followed suit as she shut the door behind her.

“Bonbon's right, it's only been a day and you are this bucked up already?” Lyra scoffed.

“Yes, I will totally feel better with comments like that, Lyra” I muttered sarcastically. Bonbon on the other hoof shot a glare at her marefriend and turned her attention back to me.

“How are you feeling?” she asked as she examined me, her hoof pressed against my forehead. Really? Checking my temperature? I am depressed, not infected with the flu here.

“Depressed, angry, I want to murder my old boss and not feeling sick” I listed my symptoms as I brushed her hoof away. Bonbon just sighed, taking a seat next to me as she did. Lyra followed her example and sat on my other side, I was cornered.

“Stop being so dramatic! They are your friends, they just want to help you out. Hear them out first before you get even more gloom and doom, sugar” my conscience reassured. Whatever, what can Lyra and Bonbon do anyways? Not like they can magically poof my job back.

“I hope you two didn't just come over to see if I was still functioning. You guys wouldn't happen to have a resume to a teaching job, right?” I chuckled dryly, hoping it would lighten the mood. Unfortunately both Lyra and Bonbon were unamused, their faces blank of any sign of amusement. Well at least I tried.

“Listen, Bonbon and I just wanted to check up on you. We were worried about what happened with your job. I can't imagine how bucked up this all looks, but don't let it ruin your life okay?” Lyra said as she lay a hoof on my shoulder.

“Exactly, so what if you lost your job? Sure you lost it but you shouldn't let it govern you. I am sure you can pick up a teaching job somewhere else, somewhere nicer where the pay is good and you won't have to fear getting fired again. Maybe a easy job at Canterlot? I heard they are always hiring new teachers all the time over there!” it was Bonbon's turn to make me feel better and it only made me feel worse.

“On second thought, maybe listening to your friends wasn't such a good idea. They don't have a good way with words huh?” my sentiment exactly mister drag queen in my head.

I know it wasn't their intention, but they managed to turn their pep talk into depression fuel. Getting over my depression, not letting it ruin my life as of right now? It's not that easy, and just finding a new job? It won't be the same.

“That sounds like a great idea, I might as well call up my folks living there to check around for a place hiring. Who knows, I might find a new calling in Canterlot. It won't be easy, but I am sure it will make me feel better leaving Ponyville for a while” I lied through my teeth all the while putting on a fake smile. But my friends didn't notice my lies as they smiled back, most likely thinking that they fixed their depressed friend. Fat chance.

“Good! Grow a back bone and move on, Bonbon and I will help you move when the time comes and everything. Don't you worry about it, just chill out and relax okay?” Lyra said as she smacked a hoof across my back. Was that supposed to feel reassuring? Cause all I feel right now is a sore back.

“Well I guess that settles it then, glad to see that you are feeling a bit better. Keep your chin up okay? If you ever need us you know were we are, for anything at all” Bonbon said as she got up to leave with Lyra close behind.

Finally, I was alone again. And then came the terrible heavy feeling in my gut. Oh how I hate that feeling, it makes it worse that I feel depressed as hell. I need a nap, even though it was almost three pm. Wow I feel pathetic, did I mention how depressed I was? And so I dragged myself upstairs to my room, my warm comfy bed drawing me like a moth to a flame.

Three Days Later....

My mood has been getting worse and worse, I can't even find the will to get up out of bed anymore. Only getting up to use the bathroom and eat a sandwich or two before slinking back into bed for more self loathing. Gods I felt numb, how long does this sort of mood usually last? Because I really hate feeling this way with nothing to bring happiness to myself. Not even my inner drag queen couldn't bring a smile to my face, and I couldn't bring myself to hold up my end of the mental conversations. Three days of the same dreary routine over and over again.

Might as well make it four days, ending this uneventful shitty day by going to sleep early. At four bucking pm.

“Wait a tick darling, let's try something different before you head off to sleep.Why don't you write a letter to your admirer? Venting sounds like just what you need right now, how about it, sugar?” looking over to my desk I saw the pile of papers and cup of pens resting there, just begging to be used in a venting session.

I nodded absentmindedly as I sat down in my rolling chair. Reaching over for a nearby pen I clicked it a few times as I thought of how to write the letter. Would it really be okay to dump my problems onto somepony else? It could ruin his day, but who knows. Maybe writing will indeed make me feel better. So with a heavy hoof I began to write, albeit a bit sloppily.

But I was writing and that was all that mattered.

“Dear my beloved admirer, I know that this letter has come a little earlier than expected. Usually I would wait for your letter and I would follow suit but I believe that it is necessary I write this. I have been fired from my job for doing the one thing I am tasked with as a teacher. To protect and mold the young minds of all little children that come through my classroom door. A student of mine had been caught up with a serious conflict and I had to intervene. Alas, due to my actions I had lost the thing that brought a certain flare in my life.”

I stopped for a moment to think about what to write, if I should be open with it all or just be illusive. In the end I just wrote what my felt right, no matter how much it seemed like I was compromising myself.

“I thought that this whole thing would blow over after it had become resolved. But the father of the child I had punished had spoken to my boss to fire me. And here is the kicker, he just so happens to be one of the biggest donors to our school funds. I pissed off one of the sources that keeps the school alive and he used that leverage to fire me. So in cruel fate my boss had to choose between the school funding or my career, it is obvious what his decision was. So here I am writing this out to you because I no not what to do.”

It was true, I don't know what to do. Getting my job back is out of the question, Paper Weight would just bring up the whole money thing and shut me out. Buck him, it's just money....

“My dear admirer, I feel numb. Is this what depression feels like? To feel cold and numb to things all around you, to feel something torn out of your life? You must think I am such a drama queen for acting this way but I lost access to my passion in life. I take back all of this times that I said I hated my job, the times were I cursed under my breath just to wake up in the morning. And now I wish I was there in that classroom teaching instead of my ex lover. Isn't that funny, only after I lost the thing that I sometimes loath do I miss it?”

A certain song comes to mind, you do indeed do not know what you got until it is gone.

“I don't know what to do, I suppose I could find another job but it wouldn't be the same. I don't even know why I am telling you this, what can you do? Here I am tossing my problems on paper hoping for something magical to come around and make everything better. I guess I am just venting out to somepony I can talk to. Sure I could talk to my friends but I do not think I can will myself to leave my home at the moment. It would be selfish to drop this on them, I would be burdening them with something they cannot solve.”

As I wrote I felt something wet slide down my cheeks. Wiping my eyes I found tears, I was crying. When was the last time I cried? Did it always feel this terrible to be sad? Damnit, stop crying. Crying won't solve your problems....

“And now I am crying, something that I haven't done in such a long time. I feel like a pitiable louse, dear admirer. Please ignore the splotches that this letter may contain, just a warning if it gets that bad. Anyways, I don't know what else to write here. I guess I do feel a bit better but if I do I can barely tell. So as I finish this letter I ask you, what should I do? What can I even do? Put yourself in my shoes and write back something, anything.”

As I placed my pen down I looked over the letter, taking note of several tear stains peppered all over it. Taking it in my hooves I folded it and left my home to deliver it. I don't know what happened next, it was all one big numb blur but I was at the park standing in front of the old oak. I was crying, sobbing like a goddamn fool. Thankfully nopony was nearby but I secretly wished somepony was. Maybe they would have the answer of what I could do to make everything better.

“Come on, sugar. Let's go home, okay?” like a drone I nodded to the voice in my head and trudged home. Next thing I knew I was in bed all wrapped up in a protective sheet cocoon, sobbing still. It was six pm, way to early to go to bed. Usually I would stay up late but right now I can't seem to bother to stay up till night. I wonder why?

“Shhh, sugar, shhh. Everything will be alright, things will get better” listening to my conscience's reassuring words I fell asleep. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Knock, knock, knock....

My eyes flashed open, looking around my surroundings I found myself back in my room. I had a terrible nightmare, I was being chased by my boss and Filthy Rich. Ugh what a odd dream, I guess I should thank whoever is knocking on my door. Letting out a yawn I made my way downstairs and checked the time, half past nine o clock at night. Damn, it's not even tomorrow yet. Nonetheless I unlocked the front door and grabbed a lamp form the coffee table in my hoof as a makeshift club.

Just in case my visitor was a burglar or something. So with my lamp in one hoof behind my back I opened the door and who I saw waiting behind it brought my blood to a boil. And who else did I find knocking on my door, whom had a stupid bucking grin on his face? Mortar, what the hell was he doing here? In one swift motion I made to swing my dusty old lamp straight across his face but he was quicker than I. He caught my hoof in his magic, stopping my efforts to bludgeon his face entirely.

I expected him to taunt me, to tell me off after stealing my job. But what he said next completely threw me off guard.

“Alright love, before you smack me brains in with that lamp here me out alright? I didn't come here to egg ya on, I wanted to apologize” Mortar said, his voice sounded sincere which did not fit him at all. I wanted to smash his face in but then again I wanted to hear what he had to say. This apology better be bucking good.

“You have fifteen seconds” I simply said as I lowered the lamp down and out of his grasp. Mortar straightened his posture up, obviously relieved to see the household bludgeon put away.

“Alright, now listen to me when I say that I did not know I was takin your job. Funny thing was is that I was about to head off back to Canterlot, sitting on my arse in the train station when some rich bloke approached me with a job. Figured out his name was Filthy Rich and he offered me a job as a teacher, imagine that? A second chance at teaching the young minds again, after....well you know?”

I nodded once, I knew exactly what he was talking about. The little fight that lead to our breakup was tied to my job a long time ago. Funny thing how the circumstances are so eerily similar, except now I was on the receiving end this time.

“Anyways, I jumped at the opportunity and went to work the very same day. I was surprised when the bloke, Paperweight was it? Yeah, that's his name, well he assigned me a classroom of a recently fired teacher and just started working. Cheerilee, I had no idea I took your job, when I found out I just felt guilty. I am sorry, truly I am”

Well that is something I thought I would never hear Mortar say. He said he was sorry, and he sounds genuine....

“Aw hell no, don't tell me you believe this motherbucker? Open your eyes, he has got to be scheming with Filthy Rich! Don't even think about giving this bastard a chance!” screamed my conscience. I just shook my head, hoping to block out the drag queen in my head. I looked down at my hooves, thinking about what I should do. Option one, believe Mortar and just move on jobless. Option two, buck his teeth in and celebrate with some ice cream....

“There, I said it. Wow I feel a lot better now, but I can't say the same for you, eh poppet?” Mortar said as he gently brought my gaze to his, his hoof gently holding my chin in his grasp. For once I didn't feel angry at him using my old nickname, on the contrary I felt a little warm.

“There was another reason I came here ya know, now I want you to hear me out again alright? No head smashin or groin bucking, okay poppet?” I gave him a nod and he smiled.

“Good, now I would love to know if you would like to have a drink together as friends? Maybe down at The Rusty Horseshoe? I'll be buying, that is if you would have me? Just for old times sake, ain't nothing romantic about it”

Or option three, drown my depression in alcohol and hang out with my ex? Hmm, just a friendly outing between old foes huh? Well I shouldn't say foes, not yet anyway. Mortar has changed, at least I think he has. Maybe this won't be so bad?

“Oh come the buck on, you are bucking insane! I forbid you to go! You can-wait what are you doing? Don't you you dare try to repress me! I am trying to protect you, don't just....” and just like that the drag queen's voice dissipated until I could barely hear him. That was easier than I thought, like forgetting a bad dream when you really put your mind to it.

Or in this case, a gay stallion in my head.

“So should I take your scrunched up face as a yes or a no, poppet?” crap, I forgot he was here! Opening my eyes I found myself looking at a very confused looking Mortar. Any words now would just make things worse so I just nodded with a sheepish smile.

“Well alright then, shall we?” with that said I left my home behind and followed Mortar by his side. The walk to The Rusty Horseshoe was surprisingly pleasant with Mortar acting like quite the gentleman. Which was a stark contrast to his old self. Eventually we found ourselves in front of The Rusty Horseshoe, and it still smells like a drunkards hangout.

“Ladies first” Mortar said with a curt bow as he held the door open for me.

“Okay, where the hell is Mortar and what have you done with him?” I said with a laugh. Mortar just shook his head at me with a smile as he ushered me inside. And like a brick to the muzzle I was assaulted by the smell of alcohol and peanuts. Ugh, yep it still smells like a rat hole. Nonetheless Mortar and I found a spot at the bar, the bartender recognized me. If that scowl on his face was was any sign of it.

“Now I hope you didn't bring that unicorn trouble maker right? I don't want anymore trouble, that green lass made my brother cry!” Mortar gave me quizzical look and I just shrugged.

“It's a long story, Mortar. And no she isn't with me tonight, just me and my friend here okay? So how about a couple of beers for us?” I said, hoping the bartender would drop the subject. Last thing I want to do is explain that whole mess that night. Thankfully the bartender just shrugged and slid two bubbling mugs towards us.

“Cheers!” Mortar raised his mug towards me and I obliged with him with a clink of my own. We both chugged our beers in one gulp and instantly I felt the warm soothing sensation of a good beer. A few more of these and my depression will be replaced with a nice buzz.

“Another!” I called out to the bartender and received another mug of beer in return. Not even giving it a second thought I downed it in one swift gulp and called for another and another. Five quick minutes had passed when I downed my sixth mug of beer and counting. I noticed Mortar had only barely drank his first beer but I notched it off as him not being up to getting piss drunk. His loss.

“Glad to see you're still quite the drinker, poppet. All those years of teaching hasn't rid you of the old part animal eh?” Mortar laughed as he finally finished his beer. I laughed along with him as I ordered yet another drink.

“Gotta do something to get rid of this depression, which is partly your fault you know” I slurred as I downed my seventh drink. Feeling my seventh beer settle in my gut I started to feel the buzz come along, the warmth sensation of a good beer dulling my senses. Again Mortar laughed, the same laugh that I fell in love with all those years ago. I don't know if it's the seven beers but he still looks handsome, in that grungy way of his.

“Again I am sorry about the whole thing, I didn't know I was nabbing your job, poppet. But if you keep drinking you're gonna break me with the bar tab!” after another round of laughter we ordered more drinks. Around my fourteenth beer I felt like I finally had enough, my vision was starting to get a little blurry. Mortar on the other hand kept drinking and he was egging me on to drink just one more.

“Come on poppet, just one more? I'll even get one of the more expensive brands?” well aren't we being the splurging gentlecolt tonight?

“Well when you put it that way....sure, one more couldn't hurt!” and with that said, Mortar called the bartender over and whispered something in his ear. The stallion looked at me and smiled, winking at Mortar as he ducked under the bar and came back up with a blue fizzing mug of....something.

“One Banshee Bomber for the lass, enjoy!” the bartender announced, sliding the bubbly blue concoction towards me. Taking one whiff of the drink my nostrils were bathed in the strong smell of blueberry mixed with what smelled like scotch. My goodness, just by the smell you could tell it was quite the drink. You could get a buzz just from smelling the damn thing!

With a tentative hoof I brought the mug to my lips, hesitating for a moment. Maybe this isn't such a good idea, this thing seems a little too strong for my tastes.

“What's wrong? You chicken, poppet?” Mortar teased. Oh he did not just call me chicken!

“I don't see you drinking this thing, I'll show you who's chicken!” and like the drunk idiot I was I tilted the mug, the still fizzing liquid inching towards my lips....

“Cheerilee! There you are!” wait, is that voice....Scootaloo? Immediately dropping the drink back to its resting place I turned in my seat towards the voice. To my surprise there indeed was my favorite student, even more surprising was that Twilight was standing by her side. And the purple alicorn was carrying a pretty heavy looking satchel on her sides. Wonder what's in there?

“What are you two doing here?” I asked as I hopped off the bar stool.

“We have been looking everywhere for you! When Scootaloo told me about what happened I went to your house as fast as I could and you weren't there. Thank Celestia Scootaloo told me about this bar, she said it would be the first place you'd go to” Twilight explained. I looked over to Scootaloo who nodded, confirming the story.

“Yeah! Do you have any idea how worried I was? And you would not believe who took you job, it was-”

“Me, yeah I am sorry about that one” Mortar piped in as he slunk in his seat.

“You! You took Cheerilee's job you son of a-wait a second. Why are you two here....together?” Scootaloo asked, confusion evident in her expression. And all eyes were on me, great.

“Well, um you see here, Mortar wanted to apologize to me and he invited me out on a friendly night out”

“And I simply wanted to show her I meant no harm and I just wanted to help liven up her mood. Do you have any idea how terrible I felt when I found out I took her position as teacher? I was simply-”

“Before you go on a tangent on how innocent you are I just want to stop you right there. When Scootaloo told me all about this whole thing I just had to check to see if it was really true. I had a chat with Mayor Mare about Filthy Rich's recent business with Paperweight and found some paperwork, some very incriminating paperwork might I add” Twilight said as she rummaged through her satchels. Bringing out a rather thick looking folder filled with papers and floating it towards me in her magical grasp. I carefully took the folder in my hooves and began skimming through its contents.

“These are resume papers, and....a signed invoice from Filthy Rich and Mortar. You bucking bastard” I growled at the now sniveling stallion curled up in a ball in his seat.

“And that isn't the worst of it, that drink right there? Which I am assuming he ordered for you is a notorious drink laced with Flunitrazepam. Commonly found in seedy establishments like this bar!” Twilight explained with a smug look.

“Flunitra-what now?” I asked, what the hell is that? Twilight raised an eyebrow at me and looked to Scootaloo and several other onlookers to see the same bewildered expression on them.

“You can't be serious? Does nopony read books anymore? Oh for heavens sakes it's a notorious drug used to knock somepony unconscious?” drunk and confused as I was I could only shrug at her. This in turn made Twilight groan even more as she facehooved. “It's a drug commonly used for rape, ruffies!”

Right then and there the little light bulb in my head flashed on, Mortar was trying to do that to me?

“I was wrong, you really haven't changed you scum sucking bastard!” I yelled at the pitiful excuse for a stallion that was Mortar. And from deep withing the depths of my mind a familiar high pitched voice yelled.

“I motherbucking told you he didn't change! I bucking knew it! And another thing, sugar, how dare you repress me like a bad memory! You and I are going to have a long talk later little miss!” screamed my conscience, he was so loud I could barely hear my own thoughts.

“By Celestia's damn beard, you stupid purple alicorn bushwaggin harlot! Because of you lass, I can't get me some ass! You always bucking show up right when I'm about to score, what's your deal?” Mortar half squeaked half yelled. And there goes the whole gentlecolt facade, in a rather unmanly way too.

“I simply look out for my friends, that's what I do you big idiot” Twilight said, winking at me as she spoke. I winked back and turned to my would be rapist.

“You know what Mortar? I was a fool to think you changed, and there is something I always wanted to tell you”

“Oh yeah? And what's that po-” in one fluid motion I grabbed the mug of Banshee bomber and slammed his face with it, shattering the glass right across his dumb muzzle. He promptly hit the ground unconscious laying in a small pool of his blood and beer. A few teeth lay scattered about him as well, looks like my friend Colgate is going to get a new client.

“I bucking hate your accent you prick, and you!” I pointed a stern hoof at the bartender and he immediately ducked under the bar. I looked over to Twilight and she nodded, her horn flashed for a instant and the bartender slowly levitated back into view. “You better stop selling that bucking drink or you're going to end up like that pitiful excuse for a stallion on the floor!"

“Yeah! And if we see ya trying to sell that flunawatzit, my teach and I are gonna knock all of your teeth out!” Scootaloo added as she flew onto my back, making a neck slicing movement with her hoof as she did. With our threats said we left The Rusty Horseshoe and swaggered off into the cold night.

“Jeez Cheerilee, did you see how many of his teeth you sent flying? You are such a badass! The glass hit his face like smash! And he hit the ground all like pow! It was freakin awesome!” Scootaloo cheered as she flew around Twilight and I.

“Scootaloo! No cursing! But I do have to agree with her on what happened back there, you have a mean swing. Remind me not to make you mad, Cheerilee” laughed Twilight.

“Bah, you should give yourself more credit you know. You were the real hero back there, all I did was knock some well deserved sense into that sleazy bastard. Without you I....ugh I don't even want to think about what would have happened!” both Twilight and I grimaced at the thought. Thank Celestia that she butted in when she did!

“Ain't that the truth, if little miss purple avenger didn't show up you would have woken up in some alley with your ass up in the air! Blech, ain't that a nice mental picture?” retched my conscience. I shuddered, now that isn't what I needed to pop up in my head.

“So what's the plan now guys? It's all good that Cheerilee's ex lost his teeth and all, but what about her job? I don't want a toothless jerk to teach me!” Scootaloo said, sticking out her tongue in disgust. That is a good question, just knocking Mortar to kingdom come won't get my job back. In fact, I might have made things a little harder with that little fiasco back there.

“And that is where I come in, I will handle it. With those papers I got from your boss I can use it as evidence of foul play in all of this. Also, being a princess does have its perks you know. In case of Filthy Rich or whoever wants to deny you your job, all I have to do is flash the royal seal and they will be at a loss for words without a doubt. That and I am pretty good at a few stare downs, I took notes from Fluttershy after all” Twilight explained. I smiled at her plan, there is no way this would end badly.

“With all of that in mind Cheerilee, you and I are going to have a battle of wits tomorrow with your boss. I have no doubt that we will have your job back, and nopony has to lose their teeth too!” Twilight giggled.

“Oh hah hah, very funny Twilight” I groaned. Scootaloo and Twilight just laughed, even my conscience joined in as well. Well buck all of you, honestly. After a while of laughing at my expense we made it to my home without a scratch.

“Okay before we all say goodnight and all that stuff um, Cheerilee can I stay the night again?” rolling my eyes at her puppy dog routine I just opened the front door and she bounded inside giggling all the way. Goodbye comfy bed, hello back breaking couch. Damnit.

With a sigh I turned to Twilight and shrugged.

“What a night huh?”

“What a night indeed, at least we got off safe and sound though” Twilight agreed with a yawn. Cute, wait did I just think she was cute?

“Yes you did, sugar. And I don't think it's the drunk buzz making you think that way too!”

Nope, it's definitely the alcohol at work here. Just drunk thoughts, nothing more nothing less.

“Well it's getting late and we have a long day tomorrow so I think it's best we get some shut eye. Goodnight Cheerilee” Twilight said as she made to leave but I stopped her with a hoof on her shoulder.

“Thank you for all of this, Twilight. It means a lot to me, any other pony would just leave me high and dry. Telling me that everything would be okay without actually helping me out. But you didn't so I appreciate it, a lot. Until tomorrow then, right?” I said with a smile. Twilight smiled back, her face a little red. No doubt from the cold chill outside.

“Exactly, goodnight”

“Night” with our goodbyes said the alicorn princess trotted off into the night and I retreated back into my house.

“Hey Cheerilee, I kinda sorta broke one of your cups!” Scootaloo yelled out from somewhere in the kitchen.

It is going to be a oh so very long night.

The Very Next Day....

Here we are, outside Paperweight's office. Today is the day I get my job back, today is the day Twilight and I make him rehire me. And now I have stage fright mixed with uncertainty of what would happen next. Will I even get my job back? Will the papers stamped with the royal seal and Twilight's presence be enough to force Paperweight into action?

“Cheerilee, we're next. Let me do the talking and everything will be fine. So come on, it's show time!” Twilight's voice broke me from my trance and back to reality. Hopefully the reality where I get my job back. I looked over to my purple furred friend and nodded. I felt nervous, this could have all been for nothing. What if Filthy Rich pulled a preemptive strike and ruins everything?

But all of my negative thoughts were wiped away when Twilight smiled as she placed a reassuring hoof on my shoulder.

“Let's do this” I muttered as I opened the door and came face to face with my old boss. And boy did he look surprised to see me.

“Cheerilee? Back already? I hope you aren't here to beg for your job back, you already know my answer to that question don't you?” Paperweight stated with a smug grin. Let's see how long you keep that smug look when a princess comes into play you prick.

“And what answer would that be, Mister Paperweight?” and in came Twilight, a stack of papers floating next to her with her magic. At the sight of royalty Paperweight instantly dropped his grin and straightened up his tie.

“W-well isn't this a surprise, to whom do I owe the pleasure of being graced by the one and only Twilight Sparkle?” Paperweight asked, a hint of fear in his tone.

“I have come to negotiate Cheerilee's old position here as teacher, and to have a talk with you over some pretty sleazy practices here. I believe you are aware of a Mr. Filthy Rich yes? And you are familiar with these resumes and forms?” Twilight stated calmly as she floated the stack of papers onto the stallion's desk with a plop. I watched as Paperweight flipped through the stack, his lips slowly curling into a frown.

“H-How did you get this? T-T-These were supposed to be....”

“Filed away somewhere where nopony could find it I assume? Honestly Paperweight you should have covered you tracks better, and trusted somepony that didn't have a conscience like Mayor Mare. You are very lucky Filthy Rich signed you in along with Mortar or else you would lose your job, the whole finders fee clause was smart. Nice abuse of the loophole I'll give you that. But all of those papers there can give the authorities reason to investigate, and I am sure you wouldn't want to lose more funds right? Sure Filthy Rich supplies the school with twenty five percent, but what happens when the student council hears about this?”

I watched in silence as Twilight cut down Paperweight with every sentence. Sure I looked calm and stoic on the outside but on the inside I was screaming, cheering for her to keep tearing him apart with her words.

“So I ask of you this, is withholding Cheerilee's job as teacher really worth losing your precious funding? And don't even get me started on how you are using said funds, there is a nice alphabetized section of everything you bought using funds meant for the school. We wouldn't want that getting out to the public's ears right, Mr. Paperweight?” Twilight's question was the final nail in Paperweight's coffin and he knew. All hope of winning this confrontation flew right out of the window for him and his expression showed that he knew it.

“Y-Yes I do realize now that laying off Cheerilee was indeed a bad move on my part and I am deeply sorry for that. I will get on sorting out the correct paperwork for reinstating Miss Cheerilee, but what about Filthy Rich? When he learns about this he will no doubt pull his funding and I fear what else he might do. The man does have political ties, princess” damn, that is a good question. I could end up getting fired again when he finds out.

I looked over to Twilight to see if she was as worried as I was but instead I found her smirking. With a mischievous look in her eye.

“If you look into page twenty eight subsection b, you will find a seal tied to a letter from Celestia herself. If Filthy Rich tries to pull his funds from the school without a legal cause let him read that letter. The contents within will no doubt stop him in his tracks. So I believe that should be enough to solve your problems and I assume you will give Mortar a week notice?” I was speechless as I watched Twilight lay down the law. I am surprised her special talent doesn't relate to being a lawyer!

“You are pretty damn lucky to have such a sweet mare to watch your ass, sugar. Cause gods know that you would never pull this off without her!” I had to agree with my conscience on that one. I probably would have never gotten out of my depressed ass to deal with this myself.

“O-Of course, princess. Consider it done, but there is a problem” Paperweight said, his voice barely above a whisper. Crap, what is it now?

“You do know it will take some time for Cheerilee to become reinstated right? I can't just kick Mortar out and everything will be all hunky dory. It will probably a few weeks, maybe a month or two even until Cheerilee is able to work here again” Paperweight muttered as he sunk in his chair, hooves rubbing against his temples.

“What?! But Mortar got my job in less than a few days! And you're saying I can't pop in just like he did?” I roared at the pitiful excuse for principal that was Paperweight.

“A-About that, it's a funny story actually. As the princess had pointed out earlier, this whole thing wasn't exactly legal with Mortar. So um, you will have to go through it the old fashioned way, sorry!” I couldn't believe the words coming from his mouth, this was going so well!

“But how am I going to survive? I can't live off only that paycheck that hasn't even gotten here yet! And I can't stay with Bonbon and Lyra. Another mouth to feed will put a strain on their already tight wallet. You're sure you can't do something?” Paperweight shook his head at my question. Well there goes eating hot food for a few weeks. Peanut butter sandwiches for breakfast, lunch and dinner here I come....

“Don't fret just yet, Cheerilee. I believe I have a solution for your problem, how about you work part time at the library with me? I can't pay you as much as you would get teaching but it would definitely be enough to get you by until you get your job back” Twilight interrupted us with her proposition. And I could barely believe my luck.

“R-Really? You'd do that that for me? My, that sounds great! What would you have me do?” I could barely contain my elation, no, the pure happiness I was feeling right now. This is too good to be true!

“Well Spike does need help around the library with chores, sorting books, cooking maybe and other things like that. You just have to help around the place, simple stuff really. You won't have to do much-eek!” I didn't let her finish her sentence as I swept her up in one big bear hug. I couldn't help but swing the purple alicorn to and fro, shrieking out a whole bunch of yeses and thank yous all the while.

“Ahem! Would you mind doing....whatever it is your doing with your marefriend outside of my office please? I would like to read through these papers without that shrieking of yours” Paperweight's words brought me down from my emotional high, forcing me to realize just what the hell I was doing. It took a second to register that I was currently squeezing the life out of my purple furred companion. Wait, did he say marefriend?

“We aren't together!” Twilight and I squeaked at the same time. We both looked to each other to find raging blushes on both of our faces. Well this isn't awkward or anything.

“You can put me down now, Cheerilee” Twilight whispered. I just sheepishly smiled, releasing the alicorn from my death grip. And with our awkward moment over we left Paperweight's office without another word. Leaving the dim confines of school we were welcomed by a bright sunny day. Not a single cloud in the sky, a perfect day to compliment a perfect victory.

“So um, what happened back there....?” Twilight asked, the began to return to her face. Oh boy here we go, let the awkward begin.

“Play it cool, play it cool sugar. Don't muss this up!”

“Would you shut up? What the hell are you talking about? I was just about to apologize for the whole embarrassing hug thing!” I yelled mentally.

“Oh, that's what you were going to do? Never mind then, another time then” I rolled my eyes at my inner drag queen, was he really expecting me to do “that”? We are just friends, and I was just a little too happy for my own good. Ugh, I hate ponies who imply over the smallest thing.

“Yeah, sorry about that whole thing. I just got swept up in the moment you know? Sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable or anything” I muttered, rubbing the back of my neck awkwardly as I spoke.

“It was nothing, I completely understand. And did you hear what Paperweight said? He called us marefriends, what a thought huh?” Twilight said with a laugh.

“Yeah, what a crazy thought right? Like that would ever happen” I laughed. Twilight however just looked off to the side, her laughter dying down to a soft chuckle.

“You okay, Twilight?” I asked feeling a little bit concerned in her change of mood. That isn't a happy chuckle, that's the kind of chuckle you would do when something was bothering you. I always heard it when students confronted me about their grades and stuff like that.

“Oh it's nothing, I was just worried about....the library! Yeah, I was just thinking about all of the schedules that I have to make up for you along with Spike's. It's a lot of work, no biggie!” Twilight's sudden outburst left me with more questions than I started out with but I didn't poke her on her deflection of the subject. Best not to bother her, she seems like the mare to get caught up in those kinds of things. This is probably normal, probably.

And thus began the awkward silence between us, I hate it when these kinds of things happen. When you really want to say something and your conversation partner no doubt has a lot of things to say as well but you two don't know how to start. After a few moments of silence between us I caught sight of the library up ahead, might as well break the ice before we leave each other on a awkward note.

“So uh, I want to thank you again for everything. You could have just stopped with getting my job back, you didn't have to offer me a job. So, thanks for that” I said, hoping my words would get rid of the awkward silence between us. Twilight looked me in the eyes for a moment before casting her gaze down at the road once more. But I caught her smiling, and that was all that mattered.

“Please stop thanking me, anypony would have done the same if they were in my position. It's no problem so stop thanking me before you drive us both crazy” Twilight said softly, sounding a bit unsure of herself somehow.

“Are you kidding me? You deserve more than just thank yous you know! But you're probably right, I should stop spewing out my thanks. Anyways, what time do I start? Today or tomorrow?”my question left Twilight humming to herself, no doubt pondering the next course of action regarding my position at the library. She kept humming to herself until we finally arrived at the library, I still can't get over how the entire thing is built into a tree.

“How about you start tomorrow? Nine am sharp?” well that sounds reasonable, and it is a later time than I would start my job as a teacher. Hello two extra hours of sleep.

“Then it's settled, nine o clock on the dot! I guess this is where we part ways Miss Sparkle” I said as I curtly bowed to Twilight. And sure enough my little display made her laugh. She shook her head at me as she returned the bow before slipping inside the library. With a soft thunk the oak door shut behind her and left me alone to my own thoughts. Thoughts of my new side job and the awkward hug filled my mind as I walked home.

Moments later I was safe and sound in my humble abode scribbling away a new letter to my secret admirer.

“Dear my secret admirer, I wish to ease any thoughts of apprehension that you may have gotten from my last letter I sent you. Everything has been resolved due to a wonderful friend of mine and there is no need to worry! I apologize if I made you feel worried about me, I was just in a dark place for a while but I am no longer the object of gloom and doom any more I assure you. So do not worry, let's just forget about this whole terrible situation because everything is all right once again.”

I let out a sigh as I dotted the period at the end, I must have sounded pathetic in that last letter. But who can blame me?

“However the downside in all of this is that I will have to wait a few weeks to a month to get my job back. You know how it is, paper work and all of that nonsense. The upside to this is that my wonderful friend, the very same one that resolved all of this for me has given me a job at her library as a part time excursion. Can you believe my luck? I am surprised myself, but it is less about luck and more about how wonderful my friends are. Such wonderful ponies are watching over me and I am grateful to have them at my side. Although some friends weren't as helpful but at least they tried to lift my depressing mood.”

Ugh, Lyra and Bonbon. I know they had good intentions with their “help” but they need to work on their wording with their pep talk skills. I have to remember to tell them everything is alright now, knowing Bonbon she must be in hysterics over my situation still. Lyra on the other hand is probably plucking away at her lyre while listening to Bonbon's schemes to help me.

“So with that said let us go back to our usual pattern of communications shall we? I look forward to your next letter, and I ask you again to relax if you are still worried about me. I am better now, I promise. With much sincerity, Cheerilee.”

With one final stroke of my pen I finished my letter, folded it safe and sound in a envelope for delivery. Like a mad hare I rushed to the park and plopped the letter inside of the old oak. With my delivery done I galloped back home and spent the rest of my day reading my novels like yesterday. But instead of a cloud of depression hanging over me, this time I was reading with a level head and a sense of happiness in my heart.

“Glad to see you aren't stewing in gloominess, sugar. That whole emo crap doesn't fit well with you at all. Oh, and don't think I forgot about you shutting me out yesterday! First of all, how could you?! Second of all, how bucking could you?! And third, you did me proud knocking Mortar's teeth out of his stupid mouth, I am so proud of you!”

“I am sorry, that was rather stupid of me wasn't it? I blame my actions entirely on depression and the prospect of free alcohol clouding my decisions. I promise to never let that happen again, I need you and you need me. Can you ever forgive me? You fabulous drag queen you?” I begged my conscience's forgiveness but only received silence in return. Oh come on, don't leave me hanging!

“Aw I can't stay mad at you, especially when you compliment me like that. Apology accepted, but if you ever pull something like that ever again I am going to give you such a migraine! Now if you excuse me, it is late as hell and this queen needs his beauty rest!” and with that said my conscience went back into the silence of my subconscious. Looking over to the clock on the wall I found that it was indeed late, eleven o clock.

With a yawn I closed shut the book I was reading "The Lusty Equestrian Maid" and made sure to put a bookmark where I left off. Putting the book back on the pile of the others on the coffee table I went upstairs, took a quick shower and got ready for bed. I was so ready for some shut eye, to wrap myself up in my oh so comfortable bed sheets. But right when I was about to throw myself onto my comfy bed, I found Scootaloo already sleeping on it. I completely forgot that Scootaloo was still living with me, back breaking couch here I come.

And so with a groan I left Scootaloo to sleep in my nice comfy bed and I marched to my bumpy as hell couch. Punching the lumps until it was flat enough for my back I lay on the still lumpy couch and closed my eyes. Yet I couldn't go to sleep, I was too excited to begin my part time job at the library. I guess I am just excited to spend some time outside of my house for once. Tomorrow is going to a good day, I am sure of it. Hopefully the back pain won't ruin my first day working at the library though, here's hoping.

Author's Note:

Bam! Chapter six is up! What is up folks, how are y'all doing? I have been doing pretty well, I checked my final grades in my courses this semester and passed with flying colors! So I am in a pretty damn good mood and I hope the rest of you are having a great day as well. Besides that I got this chapter out and this time it didn't take me weeks to do so! And the best part is that I am working on chapter 7 too! So cheers for that and all that junk. Anyways that's all I have to say for now, until next time folks! Keep being fabulous!(ps, hopefully there aren't any errors in here! If there are i apologize in advance!)