• Published 12th Oct 2013
  • 3,130 Views, 32 Comments

Fashion Crush - PunyPony



Rarity is having her first real challenge of her career as a fashion designer. Faced with the blank sheet syndrome. Just as Rarity's moral hits bottom Patty, an good old friend, gives her the only good advice she can : have fun ! Forget about wo

  • ...
14
 32
 3,130

Fashion Problem

An odd pair was walking down the not so crowded street of the old docking quarters of Manehatten. They were walking fast and seemed unnerved.

“It never happened before I tell you! Take it more seriously, Patty, please!” a petite girl with light lavender hair pleaded to her much older pink haired friend. “Big sis always takes good care of her cat, so why would it run to my home half starved ?!”

“I knew light lavender was your color. It suits you, really,” Patty commented before adding. “Vinyl was right! I do have good hunches!”

“PATTY!” the girl complained, nearly shouting.

“Sorry, just teasing,” apologised Patty. “But don’t you worry! Auntie Patty will set things straight! Rarity’s probably just too busy and stressed by her job. She did say her current project was a career opportunity.”

“I hope it’s just that. Her studio’s just there, across that fancy warehouse,” the girl pointed.

“Alright, I’ll take it from here. I’ll call you if needed,” Patty waved at the girl before she started toward the door.

~~~~~

In her studio, Rarity Belle was pacing back and forth while biting her nails. She had been doing so for the last couple of days and the lack of care she had been giving herself was showing : her beautiful black hair was lacking its usual purple hue; they fell over her face in lank locks. Her once pure white shirt was spotted many multicolored print marks from the pencils she uses to draw her projects. From time to time she would mumble to herself as she looked nervously at the fancy warehouse across the street.

“What am I going to do? Only one week remains before I must submit my project, and Mr. Patterson still finds my work wanting!” Rarity was brink of tears as the bell tore her off her distress.

“Just who could that be?” Rarity wondered as she looked through the peephole of her studio. It’s Patricia… as if I have time to waste with her jokes!

“Open up Rarity!” called Patty. “I know you’re in there!”

“Go away, Patricia! I’m not in the mood right now!”

“But I brought cakes!”

“I don’t want cakes, Patricia. Please leave!”

“And I brought Opalescence back too!”

“I said : I don’t… what?!” Rarity blinked, confused and then struck by a terrible doubt. Where on earth IS Opalescence?

“Meow!” Opalescence let out as Patty levelled the cat’s cage to the door’s peephole.

“Opal darling, I’m so sorry! How could I forget about you?” Rarity said as she opened the door and took Opalescence’s cage off Patty’s hands.

“You didn’t just forget about the cat!” exclaimed Patty. “You forgot about the shower too! I never thought I would say that to you, Rarity, but you stink!” she added while wrinkling her nose.

~~~~~

It took nearly two hours for Rarity to feel clean again, and return to her usual composed self. She was now wearing one of her beautiful white dresses, her hair was combed in an elaborate fashion and it’s purple hue was more pronounced than ever.

“I feel much better! It’s a good thing you came,” Rarity exhaled while sitting beside Patty in the living room of the studio “A bit more neglect and the damage would have been unfixable!”

She still looks somewhat haggard and her makeup doesn’t really hide the bags under her eyes... but it’s nothing a cup of tea and Patty’s cakes can’t fix ! Patty thought fervently before asking “What could possibly put you in such a state? Take some cakes while you tell me everything, you need it.”

“Well, I’m in a bit of a fix,” Rarity explained after taking a delicate bite off one the cakes “I have until next week to submit my project for evaluation but my advisor, and boss as it matters, said it was b-boring!” she choked on the last word as she started to cry softly.

“Oh, come on!” Patty exclaimed. “You’re the best designer I’ve ever met! That advisor of yours must be jealous of you ‘cause he knows you’re way better than him!”

“I don’t think so.” sobbed Rarity, ruining her newly applied makeup.

“Tell me where he is.” Patty demanded. “I’ll talk to him mano a mano and we’ll see what he thinks of your work then!” Rarity replied by pointing at her window.

Oh… nevermind. Patty thought as she followed Rarity’s pointing finger. ”You didn’t tell me your boss was Françis Patterson,” grumbled Patty as she stared at the Patterson Fashion Workshop across the street. ”I guess I’ll have to find a more subtle way to make my point.”

“What am I going to do? I can’t possibly disappoint Mr Patterson!” Rarity wailed.

“You need to find your inspiration back,” Patty claimed while brushing Rarity’s tears away. “What did Patterson tell you? He didn’t just say your work was boring, did he?”

“H-he said that it’s good but too similar to my previous projects. He said I needed to make innovation,” Rarity explained, her sobbing lessening as she focused on remembering Patterson’s words. “He said it was plain because only my personality showed in my work and it made it look selfish and boring.”

“That’s it then!” Patty cut her off. “You just need to make your dresses while thinking of something or someone else! And I know exactly where to go!” she added watching her twitching feet, gears grinding in her scheming brains.

“I can’t possibly leave my work unfinished! I really appreciate your concern, darling, but I must return to work!”

“No can do, princess!” tutted Patty, waving her finger from left to right. “You know better than ignore my advice. And who knows, your solution might come from the least expected place.”

“And just what do you have in mind?” Rarity asked suspiciously.

“We’re going to see an old friend,” Patty answered, a mischievous smile creeping on her face “We’re going to Vinyl’s gig!”

“Darling, unless you bought entries in advance we can’t get in such big events,” Rarity commented with a sigh. “Vinyl’s a rising star now.”

“Don’t you worry your pretty face! I know the bouncer. He’ll let us in without any problems,” Patty reassured her while searching among the contact list of her cellphone, stopping on the name BigMac. “It’s going to be fun!”

~~~~~

At the same time, a tall and tanned blonde strode out of Manehatten’s Central station. She brimmed with confidence and honesty in her dusty cowgirl’s attire and looked around, complaining in a low tone.

“Just where in thunderation is that big ol’ fool o’ Macintosh?”