• Published 10th Oct 2013
  • 569 Views, 6 Comments

Evading Darkness - Owl Parchment



Zephyr had lived in the unknown her whole life, until today. Everything changes as the young bat-ponies life is told from the beginning to end.

  • ...
3
 6
 569

The Return of a Nightmare

Chapter 2
----Zephyr----

"So.. Isn't Sombra dead?" I asked quietly, well aware of when Celestia and the Elements of Harmony were said to have killed him. Luna shook her head. "They killed the evil that cursed him. He is still alive, but nopony knows." That was a surprise. 'I might actually get to meet him...' I thought to myself, excited now. "He isn't evil, then?" I asked another question. Luna smiled "I thought you might ask that." she said "He wasn't evil. Well, at least until he was possessed by dark magic."

This was still a shock. And, of course, I was still asking questions. "How am I a bat-pony, if you are an alicorn, and Sombra is a unicorn. "Come to think of it.." Luna spoke in deep thought "You would be more likely to have a horn... As a matter of fact, you can probably perform magic without a horn. Because your father was excellent with magic, and I know quite a few spells myself." That stumped me. 'Magic without a horn? Is that even possible?' I thought to myself. As I opened my mouth to ask another question, King Sombra appeared infront of us. I jumped back, terrified. This unicorn, it just appeared right infront of me, out of nowhere. My dad. "Sombra!" my mother exclaimed, and ran up to him. They embraced swiftly, and nuzzled each other.

"Why, hello there." Sombra said, hoofing me on the back. I looked up into my father's red eyes, and shuddered. "Why is it, if you aren't evil, your eyes still look like that?" I asked him quietly. "Because, when the evil from me was killed, it did not change my appearance. Nor did it change my ability to use dark magic. But, now I have control over my darkness, and it can not take hold of me again. I still do have one nifty trick though.." He spoke, in a rich, strong, voice. "Well, what is it?" I asked, wanting to know more. He looked me in the eyes, and shrugged "I turn into a shadow during the day. It is more of a curse than an ability, though." Luna snuggled up against him, and whispered something in his ear. He nodded, and slowly unbuckled his cape. My eyes widened as his robe fell to the ground. He had bat wings. Sombra was an alicorn. A bat-alicorn. I gasped. Maybe my horn was invisible, my parents were both alicorns. "You.. You're.. A bat-pony?" I stuttered Sombra nodded slightly, and looked over to Luna. I looked up at the sky as I started to realized it was getting really hot, and my eyes were starting to burn.

By now, it was about 8 o'clock in the morning. 'Great.' I thought to myself. 'A whole night of feeding wasted.' I told myself as I began to feel hungrier. Then, I noticed something. Sombra did not have a cutie mark. He was a blank flank! I nodded to my parents, and readied myself to fly away. That was when Luna screamed. I looked back, and Sombra was bent over my mother. His eyes were gleaming with fear. Luna's wings changed, and slowly the rest of her body did too. It was Nightmare Moon.

I felt my body change as well, and it hurt. Really bad. I wanted to scream, but I didn't. My fur darkened, and my mane and tail flowed in the wind. Then, a terrible pain erupted from my skull. A horn was ripping through my skin. I was becoming an alicorn. That was when everything changed. I growled, not realizing I did. I could no longer control what I did. Just watch through my own eyes. My body walked over to a pool of water, and I looked at my reflection. I looked a lot like Nightmare Moon, except.. Different. It was more like me. I walked over to Nightmare Moon, and she smiled. "Daughter. I have been waiting." she spoke. My body shook it's head. "As have I. It is nice to have control now." my mouth spoke. "Wind." Nightmare moon spoke. "You are a nightmare. Your name is Wind." my body nodded again "And yours is Moon." I spoke. I wanted to escape this.. this.. Nightmare.

The sun rose, and Moon and I screamed. Sombra changed into a shadow, and my body raced to the Canterlot castle with Moon. I wanted to stop, but I could no longer control what I did. I felt my fangs extend from my gums. They were longer than usual, and sharper too. My body raced through Ponyville, and my wings spread out. Nightmare Moon and my own body, Nightmare Wind, took to the skies. The sun was rising even higher now, I could see it peeking over the top of the castle in the distance.

My nightmare turned to the side, only to reveal a struggling Nightmare Moon. She was fighting to keep going, and swooped low to the ground. My nightmare raced after her, and we both landed in the middle of a large field. I watched as Nightmare Moon fought something. I couldn't tell what she was fighting, but it must be pretty strong. She was writhing in the soft grass, like she was trying to cut loose something. Herself, maybe. Nightmare Wind trotted my body closer, to get a better look. Nightmare Moon looked up at us, her eyes flashing between the eyes of a Nightmare, and those of my mother. I knew then, my mother was trying to overcome this terror.

My nightmare's horn lit up, as she levitated the fighting Nightmare Moon into the air. Now, various parts of her body were changing back and forth between her's and my mother's. As my nightmare took to the air again, levitating Moon, I heard a loud crash. Lightning. I had already forgot, the Weather Patrol had scheduled a storm for today. I began to think of my guard position. That very minute, I realized Princess Luna needed me. I was her guard, and I was on duty. I concentrated, and began to fight Nightmare Wind. She lost concentration, from the immense effort it took to levitate Nightmare Moon, and she dropped her.

A silent scream rocketed through my body. 'Luna!' I wanted to call out. I wanted to tell my mom that it would be okay. But, I knew it wouldn't be. I finally wrestled free from Wind's command, and dove down to where Luna landed. It was easier for me to keep Nightmare Wind under control, because she was weaker than Nightmare Moon. I forced myself to walk forward. Luna's body was lying limply on the Canterlot road. She was a mangled disaster. One of her eyes were her's, while the other one was Moon's. She had random patches of her fur, and a her wings, they were just crazy. Nightmare Moon's helmet was shredded, like it started to evaporate. And still, Luna lay there. Not moving. 'If only Yamal were here.' I thought to myself 'My little dragon would know a spell that would fix this. I should have studied more. If I did, I would know something I could do to help.'