• Published 10th Oct 2013
  • 569 Views, 6 Comments

Evading Darkness - Owl Parchment



Zephyr had lived in the unknown her whole life, until today. Everything changes as the young bat-ponies life is told from the beginning to end.

  • ...
3
 6
 569

The Beginnings of Royalty

Chapter 1
----Zephyr----

Zephyr has lived in the unknown her whole life, until now. Zephyr is a bat-pony. She was born in the Everfree Forest, and taken care of by Timber Wolves. At age 13, she has swore her life to the royal guards, and is currently Luna's personal guardian. She is 18. Her fur is aqua, and her eyes are gold. She has a dark blue mane with cyan highlights. Now, this is where the story begins...

Zephyr yawned, and stretched. 'Just in time.' I thought to myself as I looked up at the sky. I was perched on my favorite branch, deep in the Everfree. The moon was just beginning to rise. "7 o'clock. On the dot." I told myself quietly. "This is when Luna told me to meet her in the Everfree." I whispered, and trotted further into the forest. After a couple minutes, I came upon her. Luna. Princess Luna, the keeper of the night. I bowed, as I did anytime I saw Luna, except for when I was on duty. Luna looked at me, and smiled. She beckoned for me to come over, and sit down. "I have a long story to tell you." Luna said. "I think you are old enough to know." I nodded slightly, and sat down beside her. I was curious about what she had to say.

Luna flicked her tail, and began to talk. "I all started, a long time ago. 18 years, to be exact. I was a little reckless, and hopelessly in love. I was meeting him every night, but this time was different. Instead of meeting in the Crystal Empire, we met in the Everfree. I wasn't sure why, but when I saw him, I knew. He was covered in scratches, and bleeding heavily. I knew he was weak. I had frowned, and nursed him. He looked up at me, and smiled. "You know, Luna" he said "I have always wanted a foal." that hit me. I was surprised that a stallion like him would ever want kids. Before I knew it, he was on top of me. And, I sort of liked it. His strong body pushed against mine, and we kissed. We kissed a lot. And, hugged too. A couple months later, I found out I was pregnant. I knew that if I told Celestia, she would use her magic to get rid of the foal. I didn't want that. It was all I had that he and I shared. It was our little secret. Celestia might even put me back on the moon for something like that. I don't know, but I was scared. Scared for me, scared for him, scared for my foal. I was nervous. So, I ran away. I went to the Everfree, and waited for him to come back. When he did, he was overjoyed with the news of my pregnancy. He took me to a zebra named Zecora, and she welcomed us kindly. "Ah, King Sombra" she said "I see you have brought Luna to me. I have a toll, you know, to take care of her and this foal." she spoke in her usual rhymes. Sombra had nodded, and gave her the special herbs she requested. I looked at him, and he smiled calmly. "It will be okay, my precious Luna, she will take care of you." I embraced him quietly, and turned back to Zecora. She taught me an enchantment that hid my pregnancy during the day. I thanked her greatly, and headed back to the castle. Six months later, it was time. I flew to the Everfree, and gave birth. The foal was born at midnight. I named her Zephyr."

Luna broke off there, and started to cry. I was left in pure shock. 'Princess Luna.. King Sombra.. My parents?' I was bewildered. "What happened then?" I urged her. I wanted to know why I never knew. Luna looked back at me, tears streaming down her face. "Well.." she started "King Sombra found me, after I had been missing for a couple days. I had stayed in the Everfree, taking care of you. Celestia was worried, and sent her best guards out looking for me. Sombra had come to warm me, to take you so both of us could be safe. You see, you learned how to fly at a very early age. On Sombra's way home, he took a nap when the sun rose, we are both nocturnal. You weren't tired. Even though the sun hurt your eyes, you flew right away. Sombra spend seven days looking for you before he found where you went. By the time he had gotten to you, there were Timber wolves. They were surrounding you, and refused to let Sombra have you. They raised you. By the time you were 13, I found you in Ponyville. I sent some guards to look for recruits, and watched to see if you tried out. You did, and they accepted you happily. I was surprised, and excited. You were excellent. You had your father's strength. After a little bit, I had you promoted to my personal guard. I wanted to have you near me. You, Sombra, Chrysalis, and I are the only ones who know about Sombra and I. I have yet to tell Celestia."

I looked at my mother. I was shocked. I thought for a second, and began to ask questions. "So, why does Chrysalis know?" I asked calmly. "She is Sombra's sister, your aunt. I am planning on telling Celestia tonight." Luna told me softly. "Sombra asks about you every week." she added. "We both love you very much." I didn't know what to say. It was a shock to be told that I was royalty. It was amazing.

Author's Note:

It may be editted in the future, to add more detail. I hope you like it!