• Published 1st Mar 2012
  • 1,707 Views, 23 Comments

Derpy Cardcaptor - Sotsim

  • ...
1
 23
 1,707

The Book of Faust

(Bing) (Bing) (Bing)

-A strange red book with a stranger cover it’s there…-

“Who… Who’s calling me?”

-The moon is enormous. I can see a giant building… and letters… and I hold some kind of staff in my fore hooves… I whisper something… and wings appear in my hind hooves… There’s a winged unicorn foal floating at my side that nods to me…-

-…and I jump-

________________________________________________________________________________________________


*beep* *beep* *beep* *beep* *beep* *beep*

“EEP!”

It was just a dream. And that was Mr. Alarm going off as it does almost every morning… Which means…

“Derpy! Breakfast is ready!”

“I’m going!”

Thus, the young and gray coated Pegasus mare got up of the bed and grabbed a brush to make her blonde mane, which was of the same colour as her eyes, perfectly straight.

Hi! My name is Derpy Hooves! I’m a student in Ponyville’s High School and my favourite signatures are music and P.T. I’m well known for my eyes, which are almost always pointing at opposite directions because if I don’t my head spins and I feel dizzy… Sometimes this makes my sight a little bad and I cause mistakes that make some ponies really mad at me. However, I’ll still try my best to do all of the things right!

Once she finished, she went down the stairs of her home to have breakfast.

“Good morning!”

“Hey, what was all that uproar?”

Derpy looked a bit angrier “I haven’t done any noise!”

“Oh, sure? Because your hooves sounded like the ones of a buffalo…” said the gray coated earth pony with a smug grin on her face.

“Bring it on!” said Derpy while trying to hit her, but the mare, which had a black mane, purple eyes and a purple G-clef for a cutie mark, stopped her just by putting her cup of coffee on Derpy’s head.

She’s my sister Octavia! She’s always screwing with me by calling me ‘buffalo’, but one day I will becoming very very big and then I will crush her!
Then Derpy imagined the scene and then lifted her head and left fore hoof: One Day.

“I see you two got a lot of energy this morning.” Said an earth pony with a fuscia coat, a purple mane that matched her eyes and a strawberry with a bunch of grapes for cutie mark while carrying breakfast.

She’s my foster mom Berry Punch. She’s a really smart and hard-working mare that manages Ponyville’s farm of berries and grapes and is very good with many manual labours. And where’s our real parents, you ask? Well, we don’t know about our father but our mother is living with the angels (or that’s what my sister always tells me) and Berry was a close friend of our mother, so she decided to take care of us when she couldn’t find our dad.

“Thanks for the breakfast, mother”

“Have you finished already, Octavia?”

“Yes, I have a rehearsal today”

“Okay! Here’s your lunch”

“Hey! Wait for me, please!” and Derpy began to chew as fast as she could the delicious breakfast. Afterwards, she rushed to her room, grabbed her school saddlebags and run down the stairs again.

“Do you have a rehearsal too?”

“Yes!”

“Okay then, here’s your lunch!”

“Thanks, mom! Bye!” and after grabbing the lunch she went out of the door and started to fly really close to the ground. Octavia had a bike that she used to go to her school and Derpy had to glide at ground level if she wanted to spot her clearly with her eyes. She noticed that the spring had made some of the trees blossom and then she found Octavia, who had her cello case attached to her back.

“WAIT!”

“Even if your school is in the way of the university, why are you so interested in accompanying me these days?”

“Uh... it’s nothing special!”

Actually, there is a special reason I try to go with her every day. It’s because in her way, Octavia always meets…

“Hey Fancy!”

...him.

At one side of the road there was a tall stallion with a white coat and blue mane. He also had eyes of the same colour and he had three crowns as cutie mark.

“Hello, Octavia! And good morning to you too, Derpy. You have gotten up really soon today, isn’t that right?”

“Yes…”

“And she chewed up the breakfast as if she were a buffalo” commented Octavia just before receiving a powerful kick from her little sister. Then Derpy looked again at the stallion and laughed awkwardly.

“I see you’re as enthusiastic as always!” he said before mounting his own bike and started to go beside Octavia. Derpy followed them from close behind.

He is Fancy Pants. He is in the same class as my sister but I can’t understand why they’re friends. I mean, he is so smart… and so… kind… and so muffin…

“Well, we’ll separate here.”

Lost in her thoughts, time runs fast and soon she sees the bell tower of Ponyville’s school.

Already here?

“Hey Derpy! Catch this!” and Fancy throw at candy at her. Derpy catched it and her eyes brighted up with a magical spark.

“Wow, you’re lucky”

Derpy got frightened and turned around to see an earth pony with a curly orange mane and tail, a yellow coat and green eyes pulling off a cool pose. Her cutie mark was three carrots.

“If a colt gives you candy that can mean a lot of things. And the bright on your eyes just now… *sigh* why haven’t I brought my new camera to film that beautiful face?”

“It’s not necessary to keep filming me all day, you know…”

“When I have the most famous pony of the school as a friend? Of course it is! This is art, sugarcube!”

This is Golden Harvest. We are best friends since we were little foals and we friendly call her Carrot Top because she belongs to the Carrot family and she looks like a carrot. As you see, her hobby is to film things… specially me.

“Anyway, we should hurry or we will miss the class”, said her friend.

“Sure!” answered Derpy

________________________________________________________________________________________________


“I’m home!” shouted cheerfully Derpy while she opened the door to her home. However, she was not as happy as she looked. She had been thinking about that dream all the day. In history she drawed the foal she saw before waking up, which almost coasted her missing the lecture they were doing, and in P.E she mistook the regulative can for the strange staff and hit herself in her little head. This prompted puzzled looks from her friends since -inexplicably- Derpy was the best of the class with the can.

Nopony greeted her as she entered, so she went to the living room to see if they have written something on the board they use to leave messages to the others before going anywhere and she found that Berry wrote that she wouldn’t return until 9:00 PM, so she was going to be alone until then.

As she grabbed a muffin from the pantry she heard strange noises coming from Berry’s library. As a manager, Berry had a lot of books down there that talked about numbers and managing things to make them efficient (something she called “economy” or something similar) and also she liked to store some history and science books so her “daughters” could learn more anytime they wanted. But this was no moment to think about that. She grabbed the regulative can in case she had to defend her home or herself and very afraid she asked

“Is somepony there?” and she obtained no response. This made her feel more afraid and she wished her sister or her mom would be in home to help her. But she had to be brave.
What if there’s a thief? I will take a quick glance and if there’s some bad guy there I will call the police!

And so she opened the door and went down the stairs that connected the library on the basement with the rest of the house. She turned on the lights and she was amazed at how big the room was, with various bookshelves on display. She didn’t entered the room frequently, mainly because that’s the place her mom worked when she was home and Derpy doesn’t want to interrupt her even though she and Octavia had full permission of entering when they wanted.
As she slowly trotted through the room putting all of her senses on her surroundings the noises were more clear and could be heard better. They were like roars, but they were too low and not enough angry to be that. She was about to reach a dead-end, the corner of the room where there would be no escape for the thief since there was two bookshelves at the sides and on in the back. When she gulped and jumped to surprise the assailant nothing could prepare her for the big surprise she was about to have.

Nothing. Although the noises were crystal clear to Derpy and the structure of the bookshelves made it impossible to the thief to hide or be in another place, there was nothing but books in the dead end. There’s nopony here!
To make herself sure she spun around to check a desk where Berry did her work and then she heard a light noise from behind. She spun around again and she noticed that one of the books at the back shelf was glowing with golden light. Unsure about what to do she decided to grab the can with only one hoof and approach to the strange book in order to inspect it. When she was about to touch it the book stopped glowing, which made Derpy a little unsettled. She could read in big black letters “THE FAUST” in the spine of the book, which was red with a golden ornament in the top that had a six-pointed star hole. When she picked it out of the shelf and looked at the cover of the book she dropped the can.

“It’s the book! The one of my dream” she exclaimed.
There was a pony face with yellow glowing eyes, a horn, a pair of white wings that seemed to go from its neck and a long undulated mane with the colours of the aurora. There was also a big sun-like emblem in the lower part that was covering part of the wings and chin of the pony face and it was connected with two chains to each of the wings. Derpy could also read “THE FAUST” on the top of the front with a little crescent moon between the top of the wings (it also covered a little of the title). There was also four little rubies (surrounded by gold ornaments) in each of the corners and the book seemed to have a lock on the right.

A little light erupted of the lock and making a little noise the lock was released, which startled Derpy and almost made her drop the book to the floor. Nevertheless, she still had the book in her hooves and the eyes closed with her head tilted to the side. Slowly, she opened her eyes and with an insatiable curiosity she opened the book. Usually, what you would expect from a book is to find long pages filled of words that contained all sorts of information, but what this book contained was…

“Letters?” The poor Derpy was even more confused than before. She grabbed one while holding the book with the other hoof and she saw the back: a big circle with three squares oriented differently to form a lot of triangles and a big sun in the centre (separated of the squares) was drawn. It also contained a smaller circle on one side that included a crescent moon inside (the moon was touching the circle) drawn over the sun and the squares.

She flipped it and she saw a drawing of a big mare with a long mane and a strange body, which looked like a dress but Derpy was positive it was the body. In the lower part there was some letters that said “THE WINDY”.
As she started to go out, Derpy began to read it aloud.

“Win…Wind…” was repeating the gray mare without noticing that a small wind was being formed around her hooves.

“Windy!”
One second after she finished the word the letter glowed blue and a circle of light with the same design as the one in the back of the letter magically appeared below Derpy.
“Aaah!”
Then, a strong gale of wind emerged from the circle and Derpy had to close her eyes.
Shortly afterwards she began to hear strange noises from the book. She opened the eyes and she saw that those noises were the letters flying away due to the wind. Somehow, the letters managed to go across the walls and the ceiling of the room and escaped out of the house until there was no letter left inside the book or the library more than the one Derpy was holding.
She dropped the book to the floor, which landed with its cover showing up, and she dropped herself down on her rear hooves too. But that was not all, no sir. The book began to glow again, but this time it was different.
“Waahh!”

A pony slowly emerged from the front. It was a unicorn foal that appeared to be female. Her mane was short and yellow, her coat was purple… and so her wings.
“Good morning!” she shouted while smiling, raising her hoof up to salute at the same time. Derpy was so confused that no word could describe her face.

“Thanks for waking me up, you have been very kind!”

“Yo…You’re welcome…”

“Oh, how wonderful is to be out of that book! I thought I would be inside forev-aaaaah!” She couldn’t finish as she was suddenly grabbed by Derpy.

“What are you? A chicken? A monster? A dictionary? Why do you have wings if you’re a unicorn? Or why do you have horn if you’re a pegasus?”

“I AM NOT ANY OF THAT STUFF” she yelled while escaping the blonde mare.
“I belong to the race of the alicorns, or winged unicorns, and I’m the Guardian of the Seal” she continued while landing on the back of the book.
Derpy realized that there wasn’t that unicorn face with wings in the cover anymore.

“Seal? A dinky little thing like you?” questioned Derpy

“Exactly” She jumped out of the book and levitated using her magic. “My task is to prevent the letters inside the book to cause any trouble, do you see them?” Said while pointing her hoof to the hole where the letters were, but when she glanced towards it…

“THE LETTERS!! WHERE ARE THE LETTERS?”

Derpy looked at the letter she was holding and she gave it to the foal.
“Are they like this one?” The foal turned and grabbed it
“Yes! Precisely! They are like this one! Well, where are the others?”

“Well, I said Windy…”

“Yes,”

“…And a strong gale of wind appeared…”

“Aha.”

“…and they all flied out!”

“Oh! I see!” and then both of them laughed.

“Hahahaha… WHAT?!” the foal screamed.

________________________________________________________________________________________________


Derpy ate her dinner at full speed and as soon as she finished she grabbed a muffin from the pantry and headed out of the living room.

“Where are you going with that?” asked her sister.

“It’s for having something to eat in case I get hungry” she answered while trotting up the stairs.

She entered the room and the foal was levitating over the book while glowing with a bright light.

“So?” asked Derpy.

The foal just stopped floating and sat on the book “Nothing. I have no idea where the letters may have gone.”

“Here, you must be hungry.” And with a smile she handled the muffin to the foal.

“Thanks, this looks delicious!” She smiled shortly just before putting a worried face again. “You know? Those weren’t any ordinary letters. They were the Faust Letters.
They’re magical and dangerous. They were created a long time ago by a mighty alicorn named Lauren Faust. Each has its own life, power and personality and they are powerful enough to conquer the world and do what they please with it, so there’s almost nothing that can stop them. Luckily, Faust put them under control before they could do any damage and she created a book to store them. Then she put a Seal on the book and she made me the Guardian of said Seal.”

Derpy looked a little puzzled, but she managed to grasp the important parts of the explanation.

“Now I have the responsibility of retrieving them… and YOU are going to help me!”

“Huh? Why me?”

“In the first place, because it was you who called The Windy and sent all of them flying!”

“Well… yeah… but I don’t know what went wrong! Besides, it is you who was supposed to guard the Seal! How much have you been sleeping, anyways?”

“Uuhh… around thirty years” the foal answered while beginning to sweat.

“Thirty years?”

“IT’S A TOUGH JOB, OK? I HAD TO TAKE A NAP!” the foal busted out covered in sweat.

“So those noises were your snores…”

“It may be, but the fact that you were able to break the seal demonstrates that you have magical powers! What’s your name, by the way?”

“Derpy. Derpy Hooves.”

“… That is a kinda rare name…”

“Hey, don’t insult me just because of my name! As if you had a better name yourself!”

“Why, of course I have a better name! My name is Cel…”

“Dinky! I will call you Dinky! How’s that, huh?”

“B-But I… my name is…”

“Dinky Hooves! That’s settled! Hehehehe!”

The foal sighed and then, resigned, she told Derpy to stand in front of her. She glowed her horn and then her entire body. Afterwards the circle that was drawn at the back of the letters appeared again around the hooves of Derpy.

“Key of the Seal…” When she said this, a sphere of light containing a red small key with the shape of a phoenix’s head which was decorated with white wings appeared from the book and floated between Derpy and Dinky.

“This filly will keep the Sacred Promise. Her name is Derpy. Key, grant her your power…” then Dinky pointed her right fore hoof to Derpy and shouted:
“RELEASE!”

When she shouted that last word the sphere illuminated all the room, almost as if it had expanded itself and the key turned into a staff. Derpy was covering her face with one fore hoof and closed her left eye but she kept her right eye opened.

“Derpy! Grab the staff!” With her eyes closed, she did her best to get closer to the staff and then she grabbed it with both of her hooves.

“That’s it! I hereby name you Derpy Cardcaptor!”

“Cardcaptor… wait… WHAT?” She looked shocked at Dinky, who began to eat the muffin.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________


“No way! No, no and no! I can’t do it” Derpy looked way more worried than usual while using a dryer to heat up her mane.

“This is very comfy!” Dinky was bouncing on the bed just before Derpy grabbed her with her hooves.

“I can’t be Cardcaptor! I mean, you’re telling me that the world is in danger and you want to send me, who still goes to school?”

“And why not? Don’t forget that is your fault that the letters were set free in the fist place!”

“And shouldn’t we remember the guardian that was supposed to be awake?” They exchanged some angry looks until a lot of wind went inside the room from outside.

Surprised by such a strong wind, Derpy decided to look out of the window and search for the source. She saw nothing but the starry sky of the night.

“Derpy! Look!” said Dinky while floating on Derpy’s shoulder and pointing her hoof upwards.

Derpy gazed on that direction and she saw a bizarre creature that could be described as a giant hawk flying just above the house.

“What’s that huge animal?”

“That’s a Faust Letter!”

“What?”

“The Sight, to be exact”

“Ohh…”

“Don’t stay here doing nothing! You gotta do something!”

“But what should I do?”

“Here begins your job as Cardcaptor!”

“WHAT?”

“Just go!”

“O...Okay… I guess is time to save the world!”

With a more determined look she flied out of the window since she couldn’t exit from the front door. The hawk-like monster could be seen into the distance landing on a point outside the town, so Derpy started to glide at ground level towards the site where the beast had landed with Dinky at her side.

“Wouldn’t you go faster by flying across the sky instead of ground level?”

“The thing is… I am a little bad at seeing things from above… one of the effects of my eyes, you know?”

Dinky sighed. Perhaps I have chosen the wrong pony?

But the time to chit-chat was over. The beast was in front of them.

With a battling of its wings, the creature sent both of them flying away but they landed safely on the ground.
“And how should I face it?”

“Do you remember what I taught you before? Use your magic!”

---------------------------

“Hold on a minute! What’s a Cardcaptor?”

“The job of a Cardcaptor to capture all of the Faust Letters *munch*”

“And how do I do that?”

“With the Key of the Seal, of course! When it has the form of a staff it will let you summon the power of the Faust Letters as well as turn wild spirits into Faust Letters again *munch*”

“But I can’t go with this strange staff on me all the time!”

“Do not worry; you can turn it into a key again and vice versa with the following spell, *munch* so pay attention!”

---------------------------

“O key that holds the powers of the dusks… ehh… Reveal me the nature of your true might… uuuhh… I command you by the grade I have been given…”

While Derpy was pronouncing this words the Magic Circle appeared around her hooves once again and a blue light sphere wrapped the key that she was holding.

“Re…RELEASE!!”

Suddenly, the key with the phoenix head shape transformed itself into a red staff with a phoenix head with wings and a yellow beak in one end and a small yellow ornament in the other end. It was the staff of her dream and also the staff that she received along with the title of Cardcaptor.

“Yeah! That’s it, Derpy! Now, The Sight needs wind to fly, so you should use The Windy to tie it up!”

“Underst- WAHH!”

The beast flied just above them and the wind he lifted made them lose the concentration.

“Derpy! Use The Windy, quick!”

“I’m trying!” and Derpy got the letter out of nowhere, holding it with one hoof because she was holding the staff with the other, but the beast dashed once again above them, this time very close to smash them. The next attack would hit them for sure, so they started to fly away.

“I can’t! I just can’t!”

“Don’t say that! You’re the Cardcaptor, you can do it!”

“But how should I do it?” As they were flying a slim tree on one side of the hill called her attention. “Hold on… I have an idea!” and she boosted toward the tree. Dinky got distracted by Derpy and since she slowed down she got carried by Sight’s wind and the wind made her fly high through the air.

“Where’re you going now!? Derpy!!”

Derpy aimed to the top of the tree and she pressed it with her hind hooves. The tree reacted as if it was made of rubber: it acted as a catapult and launched Derpy to the air. Using her wings, Derpy glided until she could fly right over the back of the beast. Immediately, she threw the letter of The Windy in front of her and started to swing the staff.

“Make a chain to tie this birdie up…” and the Magic Circle appeared again beneath her.

“WINDY!” and she touched the Letter with the beak part of the staff. The letter turned blue and the mare that was drawn on the front of the letter appeared, creating a golden chain of wind at her wake and wrapping the massive hawk with it. The beast couldn’t fly as well as before and it crashed to the grass of the meadow.

Derpy landed behind the beast. What now? What now? Wait… I think I remember…

---------------------------

“We have spent almost all the afternoon, but I see you finally memorized it…”

“I’m sorry” said Derpy while putting her tongue out and closing her eyes.

“Oh no… I almost forgot it! There’s another spell you must remember in order to capture the Faust Letters! One to turn them into Letters again! Listen up, Derpy!”

---------------------------

“Return to the guise you were meant to be! FAUST LETTER!!

When she was finishing that sentence, Derpy began to swing the staff. When she pronounced the last two words she swung down the staff at the same time and the staff created a blue light in the shape of a Letter that was sending out waves of blue energy. The light seemed to being swallowing thin parts of the beast as if it were a whirlwind and soon all of the beast was absorbed by the light and the light went off, leaving just a letter on its place. The letter had the drawing of the hawk-like creature and at the bottom of the letter “THE SIGHT” could be read.

“Alright! You did it really well!” said Dinky while patting on her head.

“WAAHH! That was so scary! I thought I was going to die!”

“But I didn’t. And that’s why I chose you.”

“Wait a second, I haven’t agreed to this yet.”

“Well, I had to see you in action first and I think you’re more than valid for this.” She smiled and she also made Derpy smile. “Anyway, since you have acquired another Faust Letter why don’t you try to touch it with the beak and summon it?”

“Why? What’s gonna happen?”

“Just do it!”

“Okay, okay. Sight!” a light erupted from the letter and made Derpy’s eyes shine.

“My… My eyes! I can see straight now!” and she was right. Her eyes had just stopped pointing at opposite directions.

“Indeed. The Sight improves the view field of the user”

“Great! Because there’s one thing I have wanted to do all of my life!”

Derpy took off to the sky and flew way up high with the staff still on her hooves.

“Feels great, huh?” asked Dinky, who flew at her side

“I agree! I can see so good right now…”

“I know I can trust you, Derpy Cardcaptor!”

“Eeyup! Wait a minute… when did I accept the job, huh?”


*End of Chapter 1*
______________________________________________________________________________________________


(Author’s Note: This is majorly an adaptation of the Spanish dub of the anime, so I’m sorry for any differences between this fic and the original Japanese dub or the English dub if you’re more costumed to those ones. Also, this is my first fic so I need as many critics and opinions as possible. Thanks for reading!)




On the next chapter:

“Good morning Derpy!”

“You have come really soon!”

“It seems I am not the only one.”

“Did you have to pick up the class too?”

“No. I want to show you something before the class starts!” After saying this, she put a camera on Derpy’s desk.

“A video?”

“Yes! I filmed something incredible tonight!”

The video started. The Moon could be seen and something blurry in front of it too.

“D-Don’t tell me…” and her classmate smirked slightly.

“Let’s zoom in that blurry figure…”

In the next second, Derpy with the staff and Dinky clearly appeared on the camera screen, flying across the starry sky.

“WWAAHH!”