• Published 29th Feb 2012
  • 2,901 Views, 97 Comments

Music of the Night - Aegis Shield



Phantom of the Opera-esque, with Luna as the lonely mare of the night (songfic beware)

  • ...
11
 97
 2,901

Masquerade

Music of the Night 8: Masquerade

“Rarity are you sure this is okay?” Cleff said worriedly. He teetered back and forth on a round little platform while the pale unicorn fussed with him here and there. The under-layers was tight against his sides, but the outer ones seemed to shift and flow about like the wind. “It feels like a dress.” He shifted uncomfortably.

“It’s called layering, dearheart.” Rarity chided a little, giggling as she moved rapidly about him to make adjustments. “You look simply dashing, I promise! White and gold really suit you!” she winced as soon as she finished the sentence, for a blind stallion could have no concept of what white and gold were. Thinking fast as he opened his mouth to scold her, she got up onto the tiny platform and put an intimate hoof through his mane. “White is what color you and I are, Cleff.” She whispered right in his ear like a lover, drawing crimson across his face. “And gold is the color of our engagement hoop. Think about it that way.” She kissed him briefly, then hopped down to fuss with the ends of the legs for a bit. Cleff was understandably flattered and embarrassed, trying to stay very still.

Cleff wore a white body-tight stocking with a place for his hooves, tail, and head. Atop that was a flowery layer of the finest white silk, and then a coat that covered his back but showed off his cutie mark. The collar and outer edges were trimmed with the most sparkling sort of golden thread Rarity had in stock, which she called Dragon’s Hair. He looked absolutely stunning, and was to be the handsomest stallion at the Winter Lunar Festival. “I feel a little stiff.” He said, trying not to move.

“Fancy clothes tend to be stiff since you only wear them now and then, darling.” Rarity tutted, scampering around to make sure his tail wasn’t caught anywhere, and that the two circles and dots on his flank were completely visible. “But it’s all a part of the style, I assure you.”

“I’ll have to trust you with that part.” Cleff clucked at her, being playful.

“One last bit.” Rarity turned and went to cross the room. There, she found a wooden box that flipped open. Using her magic, she came close to him at set a new pair of black glasses on his face. The old ones had been lost who-knew-where, and his milky eyes sometimes wandered about. “Perfect…” she whispered, aghast at the absolute work of art he’d become. Leaning, she kissed him in earnest and helped him down from the raised platform. “You look perfect.” She said, nuzzling him. He let out a gurgling purr in his throat, and they shared a quiet moment.

“I love you.” He whispered shyly. She nodded into their nuzzlings, coy and a little playful.

“N-now, I’m going to have you taken to your own room, and I have to get ready myself, alright?” Rarity said chipperly, cantering over to the rows of things she’d brought with her from Ponyville for dresses. “The ball is in only a few hours, and it takes a lady a bit of time to prepare, as I’m sure you know!” Cleff snickered a little, nodding his head. “Oh, and make sure you’ve got your engagement hoop on, I want to show you off, dear Cleff!” she added over her shoulder.

Cleff’s smile slackened. “B-but… what if the mare of the night sees?” the name was like a black blanket over the happy occasion, and the room turned a little still.

“Then let her see!” Rarity said. “It’s an engagement, darling, not a crime! It’s not my fault if she wasn’t quick enough to snap up the finest stallion in Ponyville!” Cleff gulped a little, pawing at the marble tile. Rarity had not directly met the mare of the night. She didn’t know how strange or powerful she appeared to be. His brow tilted up in open worry while his eyes raced back and forth, trying to think of something. But, Rarity didn’t like the worried look upon his handsome face. “Ohhh, alright. Wear it under your suite for me, then? I’ll not even mention it.” She pouted a little. Cleff looked relieved and agreed. “Now shoo out, you naughty thing. I’ll not be having you witness me getting dressed!” she bopped him with her hoof and steered him towards the door. His laugh delighted her, and she gave him to a waiting solar guard stallion. As they were away, Rarity smiled with her eyes.

When they were out of earshot, Cleff spoke to his keeper. “Thanks for taking me, the palace is so big and echo-y!” he said with a grin. “It’s hard to pinpoint exactly what is where by sound.”

The guard spoke, a rare thing but his special guest called for it. “The palace is several thousand years old. It’s held together by magic so it doesn’t wear.” He said with a knowledgeable deep bass. “I’m glad you’re enjoying your stay. My wife has seen you sing on stage.” He chuckled a little, steering him with an extended wing to turn a corner.

The two of them talked politely until they came to Cleff’s room, and he was given his privacy. The white stallion didn’t want to flop into bed, it might ruin his exotic outfit. Instead, he clambered up onto it and gingerly lowered himself onto his belly. Pawing around until he found the bedside table, he sought the engagement hoop he’d promised to wear.

Dear… Cleff….

The golden hoop slid to the other side of the little table, seemingly on its own. He gave a start. Had he heard a voice on the air? He cocked his head, ears up. He could’ve sworn he heard… He shook his head and got the engagement hoop, fiddling with its silvery chain. Fastening it around himself, he hid it under the layers of the amazing suite Rarity had made for him. He smiled at the cool touch of golden metal. In just a few months, he would be a married stallion. It warmed his heart.

=-=-=-=

Princess Luna had spared no expense for the Winter Lunar Ball. She’d demanded one hundred percent clear skies for her starry night, the moon was full and the air was crisp. The ballroom of the palace was decorated with hanging pennants, white streamers, and many long tables covered with delicacies. Mint tea, fine chocolates, bonbons that bite the tongue and soothed the throat when you bit into them… it was just beautiful. White, silver, and shades of grey accented the night while snowflake decorations floated slowly about the rafters by magic. It gave the illusion that it was snowing inside. The massive gathering of ponies was from all walks of life.

Everything from the high breeds of Canterlot to the mailmare from Ponyville, wall-eyed darling that she was, was present in the Winter Lunar Ball. Even the froo-froo elite of Canterlot was trying to be on its best behavior and not turn their muzzles up too hard at the commonfolk from the little town in the valley nearby. After all, they’d just been the victims of a great disaster, rumor said, so they needed a nice party to boost morale. The fact that their very own Princess Luna was at the head of the ordeal was an even greater prize for the party to behold. They could only wait until her majesty decided to make her appearance. Being fashionably late often came with being royal, but that meant making an entrance and probably giving a speech. They liked that. The rumor mill told of how very happy Princess Luna had been as of late, so perhaps this would be the public’s chance to get to know her a bit better.

Outside, arriving by chariot, was Cleff and Rarity. With Twilight Sparkle and Spike in Ponyville and the other Mane Six scattered to their own chariots (a couple with their own dates, mind you), the pair of them were alone together for the ride, and for the gala. “Mister Cleff!” Rarity stepped daintily out of the chariot when it had stopped at the entrance.
“Miss Rarity!” Cleff said with a chuckle, stepping off as well to walk beside her. They made their way down a silvery carpet towards the ballroom. There were fireworks, laughing and partying ponies, and plenty of food and drink to go around. The orchestra was playing gaily with none other than famous musician Octavia leading them. She kissed his cheek with a foolish giggle, shoulder to shoulder with him in a ravishing dress of silver and diamonds. She’d done a bit much on the make-up, buuuut… it was Rarity:

(Cleff) Dear Rarity, a splendid party!
(Rarity) The premiere to a bright new year!
(Cleff) What a night, I’m impressed!
(Rarity) Well one does one’s best!
(Cleff) Here’s to us!
(Rarity) A toast before the city what a pity that your night mare can’t be here!

They’d grabbed drinks from a table, toasting the glasses together and then chuckling after Cleff choked on the alcohol a little. It was a little mean of Rarity to mention the night mare, but she was sort of right. Anypony would spot a giant pony in the crowd instantly, and the mare of the night had always acted quite privately, when nopony else was around. She wouldn’t dare come to a giant, well-lit place like the Winter Lunar Ball. He allowed himself a small laugh, tipping his glass again before letting Rarity take it and set it down at a table (less than three seconds later a butler vanished it out of existence).
They emerged into the grand ballroom and Rarity let out a squeal of delight. “Simply amazing!” She kept her stallion close to her side, knowing the noise and animation would confuse his sensitive ears. “Oh Cleff it’s so vast, so many ponies! It looks like there’s going to be a show!” Rarity said. Cleff opened his mouth to ask what she meant when a choir of almost a hundred trained ponies burst into song while arranged over a massive, wide staircase:

Masquerade! Paper faces on parade! Masquerade!
Hide your face so the world will never find you!
Masquerade! Every face a different shade! Masquerade!
Look about, there’s another mask behind you!

Cleff reared a little at their volume, but laughed nervously when Rarity steadied him with her shoulder. He felt the press of her silken dress and the scent of lavender calmed him. She leaned over him, rubbing her chin up and down his mane. He smiled, soothed and calming down as the soung shifted to the mares only singing:

Flash of mauve, splash of puce,
Fool and king, Ghoul and goose,
Green and black, queen and priest,
Trace of rogue, face of beast,
Faces!
Take your turn, take a ride!
On the merry-go-round,
Of a non-pony race!

Rarity was only half-paying attention to the show by that point, for the masculine scent of Cleff drew her eye. Very much a young mare in love, she nuzzled him while the crowd focused on the hundred-pony dancing choir. “Think of it.” Rarity said so only he could hear. His ears perked and he lowered his head so she could whisper. “You’re hiding our secret engagement under your suite, dear Cleff.” She giggled conspiratorially. Her hoof wandered flatteringly over his chest a few times and he smiled with a genuine giggle. “But why is it secret here, darling?” she asked him. “What are you afraid of in this mare of the night?” she sort of had him pinned between herself and the next ponies over. The crowd was pressed tight to enjoy the show.

“Rarity, I just— she’s from Canterlot. I knew by her accent.” Cleff said with a slight huff. “She could be in this room right now. I don’t want there to be an argument.” He tried to defend a little, but at her silence he nuzzled her cheek. “Just think of the wedding day, love.” He consoled her, unable to defend his fears of the power of the mare of the night. It was not something he could explain. The power, the music, the lusty passion that seemed to just appear when she was near— it defied logic. “Just stay close with me, okay?” he asked meekly. She nodded while their cheeks were together, reassuring and a little sorry she’d pressed. He hadn’t noticed she’d dangled the engagement hoop outside his suite’s front in the process, though.

Masquerade!
Burning stares and turning heads!
Masquerade!
Stop and smile and the sea of smiles around—!

A blood-curdling scream brought the entire one hundred-pony choir to a screeching halt. The orchestra stung off-beat and there was confusion in their ranks. Even the conductor was looking back and forth with a raised brow. The fires in the hearths whisped out. The candles about the vast ballroom went low. A winter’s chill settled hard upon the room as all eyes drew up to the top dais of the stairs.

There, upon the highest step, stood none other than Nightmare Moon.

Half a dozen mares passed out, hitting the floor. Many flung themselves onto their bellies in a bow for mercy. The choir parted like a white tide, turning to look up at the black alicorn in full regalia. Her armor was liquid silver, swirling with magics nopony could dream of. Her eyes were a serpentine green, sweeping back and forth across the room with a mischievous glare of confidence. Clop. Clop. Clop. She descended one stair at a time, staring out over the terrified crowd as more and more ponies flung themselves upon their bellies to tremble before her. It was easy to tell from her face that she liked this.
Cleff’s nose twitched. There was the scent. The pure and dark scent of pure feminine want. He pressed himself to Rarity, whispering hotly. “That’s her! That’s the mare of the night!”

“What?!” Rarity demanded with a shriek as the room shifted in panic. The choir fled to the bottom stair, backing up in a horse-shoe shape to give the black princess of the night plenty of room. “THAT is your mare of the night?!” she demanded.
“What is it? What’s the matter with her?” Cleff asked, cocking his head back and forth. “She’s a little bigger than normal ponies, but—!”

“She’s Nightmare Moon!” Rarity shrieked, seizing him by the shoulders. “You’ve been singing for months with Nightmare Moon!” Cleff, already a white stallion, went pale and suddenly looked rather ill. Rarity steadied herself on him for a moment, pupils dialated with fear and anxiety. Had they not defeated Nightmare Moon ages ago and turned her back into Princess Luna?! What was happening?!

“That’s why she wouldn’t let me feel her face all the way…” Cleff said softly, his cheeks twinging pink when Rarity thunked his chest rather openly in jealousy. “She’s been hiding—”

Nightmare Moon surveyed the room, speaking at last. The Royal Canterlot Voice rang hard to all in the long ballroom and some even in the halls beyond. “WHY SO SILENT, MY DEAR PONIES?” She asked, turning with her long horn to the left, then to the right. “DID YOU THINK NIGHTMARE MOON HAD LEFT YOU FOR GOOD?” she mused over them, admiring a shaking pair of mares that clung to each other in her wake. Clop. Clop. Clop. The silence was deadly as she went down a few more stairs, the only pony in the room that was moving. “HAVE YOU MISSED US, MY DEAR PONIES?” she asked, and at the silence raised up what appeared to be a thick folder of some sort. It was bulging with music sheets, drawings, scraps, notes, and lots of other things. “WE HAVE WRITTEN YOU AN OPERA!” She gestured with it mildly, levitating it into view with her black magic aura. Cleff gulped, and began to shake. It was her alright, the scent and the voice unmistakable. He’d known her to shout now and then when she was excited, but no… no this was the voice of a goddess. She could use that much volume whenever she pleased. She’d been hiding it from him and using normal tones to make herself seem mortal to his blind eyes and sensitive ears. “HERE I BRING THE FINISHED SCORE,” She thrust it down over the orchestra pit, knocking Octavia right off of her instrument. She fell with a cry, crashing to the ground below with a painful-sounding bump. “NIGHT MARE, TRIUMPHANT!” The goddess said, naming her new work of art for all to hear.

Rarity slowly slipped away from Cleff, and he gave a little confused whimper. The pale unicorn moved, hunched, through the crowd. It didn’t take her long to spot Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy doing much the same. Twilight was still in Ponyville, but the five of them perhaps could… what? Fight her? It was madness, but they were more qualified than any. Even the solar stallion guard would be useless against the might of a dark goddess. “What do we do?!” Applejack said in a whisper while they hid in the cowering crowd. None of them could come up with an answer. They turned to look, for their enemy was moving slowly through the crowd.

Nightmare Moon grinned at the display of fear and respect from all around her. It was too long since she’d been in the spotlight, truly in the spotlight. Though Rarity may have driven her into her ugly demonic form, she was still the Princess and she would be obeyed!

Fondest greetings to you all,
Thank you for coming to my Winter Lunar Ball.
A few instructions just before rehearsals start.
Rarity must be put to task,
No normal rags for strutting ‘round the stage!

“Well I never!” Rarity completely gave away the position of herself and the other elements. Nightmare Moon’s head turned about with a fang-filled smile. How dare she insult Rarity’s very vocation?! Her friends all went pale. “N-now see here, Nightmare M—!” the concussion of magic and air slapped the pale unicorn right upside her face, and with a sound like a bowling alley she smashed bodily into her friends. They collapsed into a mess of hooves, legs and moaning. It only then occurred to Rarity that she’d been competing for Cleff with none other than a goddess of the night, and had thus far been winning. Now the goddess was angry and she was feeling the brunt of it. A massive pressure pressed down on her rib-cage and she groaned. She was being held down by pure, angry force. She lit her horn, doing her very best to surround herself with a shielding that would let her breathe. It worked, but only barely. Nightmare Moon continued playfully:

Our main musician must lose some weight,
It’s not healthy in a mare of Octavia’s age.

From where she lay Octavia whimpered vulnerably. Vinyl Scratch, dress torn from leaping through the crowd and into the orchestra pit, turned and glared at Nightmare Moon with her deep red eyes. She held Octavia to her breast, chest heaving with angry breaths. Clearly Nightmare Moon’s words had struck home, for Vinyl Scratch shouted some horrible obscenity over the crowd that made the goddess chuckle. How strange it was to be sworn at with one’s own name. Right on cue, there was a mad rush of solar stallion guards, leaping into action to stop her. Nightmare Moon closed her eyes a moment, not even bothering to defend herself.

From out of the blackness leapt only two of her night time private guards. Their bat-like wings flashed, and the magic focused in their bodies let them quickly overpower the dozen or so solar guards. Being only two of them rather than the hundreds Celestia kept of her own guards, Nightmare Moon had imbued her trusted entourage with truly incredible powers. It was a rather terrible sound to hear when they turned to buck and almost snap the necks of their opponents, turning areal tricks that made even Rainbow Dash blush. The battle was brief and terrible, sending terrified whimpers through the crowd. Nightmare Moon’s wings snapped open ceremonially as they landed behind her on either side, snorting and out of breath. Smiling briefly over her shoulder at them, she continued forward and put a massive hoof on one solar stallion’s chest.

And my sister’s guards must learn that their place is in the DAYTIME!
Not the dark…

She crushed the unlucky stallion’s chest plate until he could barely breathe, forcing him onto his back on the floor while he writhed about for air. Unicorns rushed forward to get the metallic prison off of him as soon as Nightmare Moon’s gaze turned from him and onto a new target. Cleff. He could feel her eyes on him, though he could not see her. Her scent had grown stronger, he could feel her massive hooves shuddering the marble tiles beneath her. He tried to stay steady, to stand up to her.

And as for a star—? Of course—Mister Cleff Scratches!
No doubt he’ll do his best, it’s true his voice is good, he knows,
But should he wish to excel, he has some yet to learn, if pride will let him return to me,
His student now teacher, his teacher…

Cleff knew what she spoke of. The massive voice. The Royal Canterlot Voice. She intended to teach it to him for the opera she’d written for him to star in. He quivered before the gaze he could not see, gulping quietly. Nightmare Moon towered over him and he could feel her warm breath on the top of his head as she stood very near indeed. She forgot the fearful crowd for a moment, slowly and gently resting her head atop his and between his ears. The light touch of desire quivered between Cleff’s thighs, pressed forward by magic that saturated the air because of her want for him. He gave a breathy sigh despite himself. From the pile of ponies, Rarity watched in shock.

Nightmare Moon looked upon him, backing up a step to admire his handsome face. She smiled, panting lightly after all of her announcing and shouting. The flow of energy between them was palpable, and her eyes lidded with a loving look that more than a few ponies could see from where they were bowing at the floor. She looked upon him like a lover, like a husband that she desired like a newly married filly. Her lidded eyes trailed down his handsome chest— to the golden engagement hoop hanging on the chain around his neck. Her eyes narrowed dangerously, and she looked over at Rarity with an angry snort of hot air. Reaching up and returning her gaze to Cleff, she snapped the chain and took the hoop from him. “YOUR REINS ARE STILL MINE!” she roared angrily, then leaned forward to whisper like a snake. “You belong to me!” With a flourish she shattered the hoop upon the ground, sending shards in all directions. Cleff’s heart sank.

Suddenly the massive doors of the ballroom snapped all the way open and golden light poured in. Celestia herself stood in the archway, followed by a pair of battered-looking guards that had slipped out during the spectacle. Nightmare Moon whinnied at the blinding light, rearing up and covering her sensitive eyes with her black wing. Turning towards the night the black goddess fled at full speed, leaping into a stained-glass window. It shattered spectacularly, showering ponies with bits of glass. She became a gaseous mist and vanished into darkness, beyond the biting ice of the winter night. “This party is over.” Celestia said, flapping her wings exactly once to fling herself over the crowd. She landed before Cleff, looking down at him with a rather terrifying neutral expression. The usually kind-faced goddess frowned at him a little, then spoke to one of her commanders. “Send everypony out, keep the elements and this stallion here.” The guards not struck down by Nightmare Moon’s two soldiers started herding everypony out of the massive room as bidden. Octavia had to be carried out on Vinyl Scratch’s back, for one of her back legs was twisted at an unnatural angle.

End of Part 8

A/N: I really don't like the Masquerade song, that's why only part of it is in the chapter. So there. :P