• Published 28th Sep 2013
  • 553 Views, 2 Comments

Marevelous Manehattan - StageQuill



Stagelight Glow has wanted to be an actress since she was a filly. On the way to her first auditon, she meets a handsome stallion on the bus.

  • ...
 2
 553

Caring

"Here, Caring." I have her the to-go box if chocolate ice cream. "It's a bit melted, I think. But it's a wonderful shop."

"Oh, thank you, Legal!" I heard the smile in her musical voice. I heard the box open and she took a spoonful. "Oh, delicious."

"You're very welcome." I said.

"Where's Foggy? Did you walk back here alone?" She asked.

"He brought a friend. He hadn't seen her since he was a colt, and lagged behind. I came up the elevator. I think they decided on the stairs." I leaned against the wall. There was no work to do. I let my cane dangle from my hoof. "She's a pegasus. Weather patrol."

"Ah." Caring answered. "You got a call while you were out. A client. I took down the number." I heard her stand up. Her heart beat faster. She came closer. "I looked through Foggy's braille guide. I took the liberty of writing the information down." She slipped a piece of paper into my hand. I read it. It was just a potential client's name and phone number. Nothing more.

"Thank you, Caring." I said to her. "That was very thoughtful of you." I breathed in the scent of her perfume then went into my office, leaving the door open. I had to straighten my thoughts.

"Oh, Fogs!" I heard Foggy's friend- Dipdye's- voice laughing. They came in.

"What took you so long?" I came out if my office.

"Stairs." Foggy was breathing a bit harder. I smiled. "This is a tall building, Legal. And Dipdye loves to fly fast."

"That's very nice. I have a call to make." I retreated into my office. I closed the door.

I dialed the number Caring had given me.

"Hello?" A voice answered on the other end.

"Law offices of Fog and Shades." I answered.

"Ah! I need representation. I want to sue a couple of criminals. I'm Sunshine Boy, the newspaper editor. 'Manehattan Flooglehorn'."

"And what pony would you like to sue?"

"All vigilantes!" The voice shouted into the phone. I held it away from my ear.

"I see..." I replied. "I'm not sure that would be possible. I'll get back to you as soon as possible, after doing some research and discussing it with my law partner. Have a nice day!"

"Nice day." Sunshine Boy grumbled and hung up. I hung up too and began to laugh.

"What!" Foggy ran in.

"Sunshine Boy." I straightened my face. I told him about the client. "I don't think that's possible. Until he finds one
masked vigilante, and a particular crime, I can't represent him." I sighed. "I suppose I'll have to call him back."

"Caring can. We have a secretary for phone calls, you know." Foggy answered. I hesitated. I didn't want Caring to have to- but that's what we hired her for. "All right." I said. "I'll tell her later. I want it to sound like I consulted you."

"You did." Foggy said. "Let's get known for speedy contact. Caring!" He clomped into the other room and shut my door. I allowed a smile. Through the door, I heard Caring's musical reply. That distracted me. I imagined- what if she loved me? What if the beating if her heart wasn't just pity or nervousness of being around a blind stallion? But that's all it could be. From what I knew, Caring was perfect. She deserved better than me.