• Published 28th Sep 2013
  • 551 Views, 2 Comments

Marevelous Manehattan - StageQuill



Stagelight Glow has wanted to be an actress since she was a filly. On the way to her first auditon, she meets a handsome stallion on the bus.

  • ...
 2
 551

Morning Jubilee

I knew that the second I walk into the office, Foggy would start talking about the Stallion without fear.

I walked in.

"Legal!" Foggy said. I heard a newspaper being waved around. "Did you hear about the mysterious Manehattan hero?"

"No." I said. "My radio was out. Do tell." I put on what I hoped was an interested face. With Foggy, I had practice doing that.

"He was rumored to have saved Manehattan!" Another voice exclaimed. Dipdye was here again. I recognized her heartbeat.

Hmmm.

"Hi." She continued.

"Dipdye's here." Foggy said.

"Aha." I said. "Well, I have work to do. I got a client over the weekend. Apparently there was a mugging over the weekend as well." I felt around the room's wall with my side and closed my office door. Caring followed, levitating what smelled like a cupful of coffee with her horn.

"Excuse me, Legal, but I noticed you enjoy coffee. I made some for Foggy and Dipdye and saved some for you." She set down a cup on my desk.

"Thank you, Caring." I said as I took my papers out of my briefcase. I turned my head towards her and smiled. Even if it was pity, that was a kind gesture. I heard her lips part. I believe she was smiling back. "So Caring, tell me what you know of the mysterious stallion Foggy mentioned?"

As she came closer, her heart beat faster- in awe of Daredevil, I supposed. In my smallish office, the smell of her perfume was almost overpowering. It drew me in, made me long to feel her silk mane against my cheek, her smooth coat, made me want to here her just talk in that musical voice. It made me long to see so I could admire the no doubt beautiful colors of her body, and the exact design of her cutie mark.

"Oh, he saved so many ponies! He defeated a stallion who called himself the Stilltion. The Stilltion had attached stilts to all four hooves and trampled a lot of the city! I'd imagine Daredevil's handsome and strong... Sorry, Mr. Shades, I suppose you wouldn't much care." Caring said and trotted out quietly. I sighed and got down to an idiotic case over a mugging that was so obvious even I could see it more clearly than my client's opposition.


Oh, the jitters. My stomach felt like a herd of crazy pegasi were holding a race inside of it.

"Calm down, Stagelight." I whispered to myself. I pushed open the door to the Sparkle.The edge of my script dug into my shoulder slightly when I pushed against the door. I had gone over it so many times in the past two days, I was almost off book for the first act. I had it completely down for the songs. My soft gray sweater and matching umbrella kept most of the rain off of me, and my script was perfectly dry.

"You came early too?" A gorgeous pony greeted me She had a long red mane in perfect waves down to almost the ground, and her tail was perfectly groomed, even in the rain. I nodded, feeling my wet mane and tail more than I would otherwise. Her cutie mark showed what looked like red velvet curtains and confetti. She held out a perfectly groomed hoof. "Hi. I'm Morning Jubilee. But my friends can call me MJ. The Wells are backstage untangling some paperwork."

I grinned. "I'm Stagelight. Stagelight glow." I shook her hoof, then my wet mane in the opposite direction from her.

"Oh! So you're the leading lady here." MJ looked imressed. I felt impressed. I guess I was the lead.

"Guess so." I said. "But you know, until you said that, I didn't think of myself that way." I grinned. MJ grinned back.

"Yeah. So, there's coffee in the other room."

"Coffee!" I exclaimed and dashed gratefully to the black plastic-and-glass machine. I'd been so eager o be on time after my alarm had gone off late I had' even eaten. And then I was early, and there was coffee. With heavy cream and brown sugar.

What a good start.

"Hello, Ladies!" A loud male voice called from the doorway. MJ and I looked around, her with a coy expression, me startled and with my mane whipping me in the eye. I even almost spilled my perfect coffee. I quickly put on a (hopefully) more self-assured expression.

"Hi!" I smiled and said energetically. "I'm Stagelight. You?" I sipped my coffee. "You startled me." There. Self-assured.

"So I see. I'm Gallantide." he bowed. "And who are you?" He asked MJ.

"I am Morning Jubilee. Or MJ." she tossed her mane. Self-assured. "I'll be playing Fellibella." She extended wings I hadn't noticed before.

"Ah!" Gallantide smiled. "My love." He knelt. "Until I reaize that you are-"

"Cruel and vicious." MJ interrupted, laughing. I stepped in.

"And that Glimmerhorn is the one you truly love." I curtseyed and smiled wistfully. Gallantide took my hoof and brought it to his lips.

"We sure know our parts." I hadn't noticed the tiny, black-and-silver mare at my side. "Dance coach." She introduced herself. "Or Kicklightly, whichever."

The others introduced themselves. I sipped my coffee, already enjoying the prospect of working with these ponies.

"Hup hup hup!" Cloud Well blustered in. "Come on, ponies, stop fooling around! Let's get-" the pegasus spread his wings, flapped them, and drew them in as if to say he meant business- "To work! Everypony has a script and a pencil?" We all nodded our heads. Cloud well exhaled. "Good. Let's get started.".


"Bubbles, that was interesting." Dipdye and I met at Swirl's again.

"Yeah, I told you you'd get it." Dipdye said.

"Okay, okay, I got it." I looked up.

"Oh, um, Stagelight?" Dipdye asked. "Foggy wondered if he could join me- us. Here." She blushed. Oh, Dips.

"Sure."

"K!" Dipdye flew to the public telephone outside of the shop. "Hey Fogs!" She said. "Dipdye. Yeah, you can come." she listened intently, then looked at me. "Can Legal Shades-" Heart skip- "And Caring Page join us?"

"Sure." I answered.

"Sure." Dipdye said into the phone. "Yes bye to you too!" She hung up them came to stand in line next to me. "Foggy wants apple pie, Legal wants apple pie, and Caring wants chocolate."

"Okay then." I answered. We waited in line silently, Dipdye blushing and giggling every few moments, which was a bit off-putting. Dip never giggled.

Finally, we made it to the counter.

"Chocolate, Two apple pies..." I began. What did I want? "A red velvet cake ice cream..."

"And another apple pie!" Dipdye exclaimed. She grinned. The stallion behind the counter- No, more of a colt- Filled the order for the two seemingly gluttonous ponies. With good figures anyway.

Dipdye carried most of the ice cream to a table while I browsed the toppings. Mmmm, dried cherries. And chocolate chips... I gave up and got a little of everything. I followed Dipdye back to the table.

"Hey, Foggy!" Dipdye waved at the stallion on whom she had an obvious crush. We sat outside, the weather once again mild and warm. "Legal, Caring."

"Hello, Dipdye. Hello, Stagelight." Legal said. The three ponies sat down with us on the table.

"Apple pie, Apple pie, Chocolate." Dipdye said, hoofing out the little cardboard bowls. Swirl's never had cones. I noticed Dipdye purposely brush Foggy's hoof and share a grin. Oh, Dipdye. I know who I'll be seeing you in the audience with on my opening night.

"Stagelight got the part she wanted!" Dipdye told everyone. They congratulated me as I grinned helplessly.

"Yep." I said. "I still can't believe it."

"That's great!" Foggy said. "So, when's it opening?"

"February." I said. "Five months."

"Great!" Foggy said. "Do we get free tickets?"

"Foggy!" Dipdye said. She laughed.

"Maaaaaaaaaaay-be." I answered. I looked up at the sky, then at the door to Swirl's.

And out came Morning Jubilee, side touching and stallion I didn't know. Probaby her friend. Or leading man.

"Hey, Stagelight!" She spotted me and came over.

"Hey, MJ!" I answered, standing. "Why do I keep running into ponies I know here!" I tossed my head in comedic confusion. I turned to my friends Yeah... They were my friends. "This is Morning Jubilee-"

"MJ."

"MJ, my fellow cast member. MJ, here are Dipdye, Foggy, Legal and Caring." I introduced everypony to each other. "And I don't know..." I looked from MJ to the caramel light tan stallion. MJ grinned.

"Oh, this is Physic Proud." She said. "Or Peter. He used to like pumpkins."

"Pumpkins?" Dipdye was not following either. The stallion laughed.

"When I was a colt, I loved to eat pumpkins, so my aunt and uncle called me Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater, then shortened it to Peter." He laughed again. "I hate pumpkins now."

"Cool. Hey, wanna sit with us?" Dipdye asked.

"If it's okay..." MJ said. Everypony at the table nodded. "Okay, Come on Tiger. Pull up a chair!"

She and Peter sat down.

"So." Foggy said, leaning in. "Will we be able to get free tickets?"

Comments ( 1 )

Peter? He wouldn't have happened to be bit by a spider recently, would he?

Login or register to comment