• Published 20th Sep 2013
  • 359 Views, 5 Comments

The Secret Spell - MoonlitHaze225



After Starry Inkwell's spell goes terribly wrong, it's up to her to save Equestria. With no flying and no magic, she's going to have a harder time than she thought.

  • ...
 5
 359

1- Goodbye Moon...

“Come on, it’s never going to work!” Crystal Night nudged my arm, whining impatiently.

“It’s not if you keep distracting me...” I rolled my eyes and pushed her away gently, “Just a few more minutes, we won’t be too late, your parents shouldn’t worry.”

“You have got to be kidding me. Do you know my parents? They worry enough for all of Equestria.” Crystal rolled her eyes. “Seriously, Star, we need to go right now before it gets too late!” She repeated, with more urgency this time.

I moved her away from me again, “Relax, Crystal. This is going to take longer the more you distract me. Just go over there, and sit down!” I rarely shouted, so when I did, Crystal listened. It was a good thing we were in a secret section of my house that nopony knew about. Since I had shouted, Crystal immediately backed away and sat down, annoyed. I closed my eyes and focused really hard. If I messed this up, oh, Celestia knows what would happen! I wasn't even supposed to be doing this in the first place, which is why we were hiding.

From the corner of the small room, I heard Crystal mutter, “What did I get myself into?” I smiled slightly to myself before concentrating again. Crystal was the one who kept asking me why I always went into my room after school and didn't come out until dinner or to hang out. I didn't want to tell her, but if I couldn't tell my best friend, then who could I tell?

Slowly, a dim glow filled the room. Even through my closed eyes, I could tell it was a bright red glow. I opened one eye slightly to look. In front of me was a swirling cloud of glowing, bright, deep red light. My eyes widened and I backed away. I could hear Crystal behind me, her wings flapping as she tried to get farther away, “Uh, is that supposed to happen, Star?”

“Um... well... that depends on if this is a bad thing.” I said, backing up more. I wasn't entirely sure what was happening.

Crystal gasped as the light grew brighter and the cloud got bigger and started swirling faster, “I think you made it angry, Star...” I squeezed my eyes shut, ignoring Crystal. It was just a cloud, I couldn't 'make it angry'. I concentrated more than I had ever concentrated before in my life. A blue glow filled the room, along with the red, and I knew it was from my horn. I tried to reverse the spell, but abruptly the light from my horn disappeared, and there was a thud from behind me. The cloud seemed to collapse into itself and vanished as if it had never been there.

“What happened?” I opened my eyes and turned around to see Crystal on the floor, rubbing her head. Something was different about her, but I couldn't exactly place what it was.

After blinking a few times, she looked at me and gasped, “Oh my Celestia, where is your horn, Starry Inkwell!?” She was so shocked that she used my full name.

I quickly put my hooves on my head only to discover that Crystal was right. My horn wasn't there. I turned my head around to see if I had turned into a pegasus pony, only to see that nothing was on my back either. I turned back to Crystal and realized what had been different about her. “You don’t have your wings.” I said, shocked. Crystal looked and saw that I was right. She started to panic.

“Oh my Celestia, I don’t have wings!” Crystal shouted. She was completely freaking out.

I took a few deep breaths, trying to think of a way to explain this to my parents. Somepony screamed downstairs and a question occurred to me, “Um, Crystal, do you think that all of Equestria was affected by it?” I burst out of the secret room, and Crystal quickly followed me out, still frightened. I closed the hidden door, making sure it wasn't obvious to anypony that it was there, and I ran downstairs. My mom was staring into a pan that was resting on the stove.

When I got into the kitchen, she turned around, “Starry? Is it just me or are all three of us earth ponies?”

“Um, no mom. We’re all earth ponies. I was wondering why and I thought you might know, so-” I was interrupted by a loud screaming and a crash from outside.

All three of us ran outside to see a very confused pony pulling her head out of a pile of dirt, it was Derpy. She looked around with no quirky stare, confused, before asking, “What happened?” I looked around. Everypony was confused, either staring at their backs or using their hooves to try to find where their horns had gone. Everypony started gathering around the town hall. Nopony knew what was going on, and even I was confused. This was not supposed to happen.


A train pulled in and guards hopped out, followed by Celestia. None of them had wings or horns, including Celestia. I glanced around at each pony nervously. What if any of them found out that I had done this?

Celestia walked over and everypony gathered around her, except for me. I put my arm in front of Crystal, stopping her from going forward. Celestia cleared her throat and announced, “The spell that was used was a very dark, ancient spell. Whoever used it will be punished the second we figure out who it was. Since we don’t have magic, it will be very hard to reverse it. There is a way, and if you tell us now, you won’t get in as much trouble. But whoever cast it is the only one who can fix it. Anypony?” You could practically see the anger steaming off of her.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Crystal turn her head towards me, but I kept my eyes trained on Celestia. There was a silence, so I asked, “How much trouble would the pony be in?”

“Are you admitting to the crime?” Celestia turned her head in my direction and asked.

“I’m just an earth pony,” it wasn't a complete lie; I was an earth pony at the moment. Luckily nopony that knew me turned to see that I was lying to the princess. “I’m asking in case the person who cast it doesn't want to tell anypony based on the trouble they’ll get in.”

Celestia considered for a moment, “If they admit now, we can fix it and it’s not a problem. But, if they wait until much later, then it becomes a problem. We could fix it now, or later.” Celestia paused, waiting for anypony to take the blame. After it was evident that nopony was going to say anything, she sighed, “I will be visiting everywhere in Equestria trying to see who it was. If they’re really smart, they’ll know how to reverse it, and probably do so before I find them. Goodbye now. Hopefully this problem gets solved quickly.” Celestia and her guards walked back to the train and boarded again before the train pulled out of the station and off to it’s next destination.

I turned and galloped back inside my house, and Crystal was about to follow me when her mother emerged from the crowd and hugged her. I didn't wait to say goodbye, I just continued inside and running upstairs. Nopony could know I was the one who did it. It was just an accident. I didn't mean to do anything bad. My mom started chasing after me and followed me to my room, “What’s wrong, Star?”

“I was just thinking...” I quickly thought of an excuse, “None of us know how to cook without magic, so how are we going to eat? It would be too much to ask of Crystal’s family to let us eat there until this is fixed. It’s going to be hard without magic, isn't it?”

My mom frowned, “Yes, but we’ll be fine. I’m sure the pony that’s responsible for this will probably know how to fix this,” I had no idea how to fix this, but I couldn't tell her that. “Crystal’s mother might be happy to let us eat over there some nights, but I could also try to cook sometimes.” Sighing, she got up and left. I couldn't think straight. The world was spinning as I suddenly understood the enormity of the situation.

No magic. No flying. Nopony to help me except Crystal.

I fell backwards onto my bed and let out a huge sigh. I needed to start reading, trying to find some answers. I tried to use my magic, but then I remembered. Sighing, I got up and trotted to my bookshelf. I grabbed a book between my teeth and set it on my desk. I pushed the cover open with my hoof and tried to flip to a page. It didn't work too well. After a few more attempts, I finally got it. It was slow work, but I eventually got the hang of it.


My mom came upstairs hours later, "Dinner's ready. It's not the best, but it's ready," she saw what I was struggling with and walked over. "Star, I know that until the princess figures this out, it's going to be hard. I might have overcooked some of our dinner, thinking I had moved the pan away with magic." She said, trying to comfort me, showing that even she was making mistakes. It wasn't exactly working.

I nodded sadly and continued trying to turn a page, but I kept crumpling it over and over. Finally, when I thought I had gotten it, the page slipped off my hoof and I was back where I started. I sighed in anguish and rested my head on the table, "I give up..."

"Just get Crystal to help you, she's been reading like that for years! Now, come and eat," I followed my mom out of my room and tried to shut the door using magic. Frustrated, I kicked the door and it slammed shut, a little louder than I had anticipated. "Starry Inkwell, do not slam the doors!" My mother turned around and shouted at me.

Taking a few deep breaths, I resisted the urge to yell that at least she wasn't the one who caused this. Nopony could know. It was bad enough that Crystal knew. She might tell somepony if the situation got too stressing for her. "I'm sorry, mom." I went downstairs and ate dinner slower than usual. Even though I knew I should be in my room looking for the spell to reverse it, I didn't feel like eating. Or going back to the difficult way of reading.

As I ate, I thought of why I didn't just tell Celestia earlier. Because I would have gotten into trouble for trying the spell? No, that wasn't it. I didn't mind getting in trouble, I actually liked the fact that somepony knew I did something wrong. I kept thinking, but nothing came to mind. I took the last bite and finally the answer came to me. It was because I didn't want to admit that I had failed. I had been made fun of enough to know that I couldn't admit in front of Equestria that I, Starry Inkwell, had failed.

The only thing I was good at was reading and writing, and a lot of ponies at school had made fun of me for it. I was good at magic, but every time I saw somepony watching me try, I got nervous and messed up. The only ponies who had seen me perform magic were Crystal and my parents. Crystal’s little brother might have seen me, but I’m not sure. I practiced all the time, and I thought that maybe if I had done this spell, everypony would finally believe that I could use magic.

But then things went wrong.As I struggled to carry my dish to the sink, I decided that before I could learn how to fix this, I had to learn what went wrong. I quickly said goodnight to my mother and headed upstairs. I softly closed my bedroom door and headed to my secret room, where I hid every book that had any information about the spell. I closed the hidden door and started to read, determined to figure out what went wrong before the next morning.

I exited the hidden room and saw the clock. It was twelve o’clock at night, supposedly nighttime, but the sunlight was blinding me through the window. Abruptly, something hit me.

Celestia didn't have her magic. The sun wasn't going to set, and the moon will never rise. It was going to be ‘morning’ until I fixed this.

Add that to my never-ending list of problems to solve.

Author's Note:

Hey, I'm Starry Inkwell, I will also be on this page creating awesome stories! Well, I hope they're awesome for you. This is the first MLP story I've ever written, I hope you all enjoy it :D