• Published 16th Sep 2013
  • 823 Views, 50 Comments

Finding Home - Auto-Buscus



A young pegasus, with a tough past, goes to seek something which may have been with him the whole time. Join Cloudsdale's Singer Case, as he aims to achieve his goals, find true love and find his place in Equestria.

  • ...
10
 50
 823

This is OUR Night!

As Singer stood in his room, straightening the collar of his new dress shirt for prom that night, he looked in the mirror admiring the view. Vanity wasn't something that Singer practiced often, but he couldn't help but like what he saw. He hoped that he would make an impression on a few mares and leave school on a positive note. Despite his excellent singing voice, his clumsiness and constant theme of getting picked on didn't really make him the most popular stallion in school, but he hoped that he could change that, but not just for him, but for Violet too. But his main focus was to just have fun with Violet. She was the one pony that he could lean on and he had been there for her countless times. They deserved to have fun.

Belle walked in as Singer had been trying to tie his red bow tie. It was the last thing he had to do, other than put on that flowery thing that most stallions wear on there suits. She chuckled as he struggled and struggled to tie it right.

"Wow, you sure do look handsome." she said.

"Thanks mom. I just can't seem to get this stupid bow tie tied!" He tried again, but getting his hooves tangled.

"Why don't you let a licensed mom help you out with that bow tie, instead of killing yourself over it?"

Singer shrugged and chuckled as his mom approached him to assist in tying his bow tie.

"So... you and Violet, huh? Are things getting serious between the two of you?"

"Aaaw mom, come on. We're just friends. Two friends going to prom together. That's not unusual, right?"

"Of course not. Before I met your father, my best friend was my date to my prom as well. I was kind of like you as a teenager. I never really dated anypony either... until I met your father, that is."

"Well, so far I am doing great just being single. I have the best friend that I could ever hope for, and the best mom I could ever want. The marefriend thing will happen when it happens."

"Knock knock" said another mare at the door. It was Brawn's fiance, Love Cloud.

By now this time, Brawn and Love Cloud had known each other for a couple of years and had gotten engaged just weeks before this day. Love Cloud was a young school teacher at Cloudsdale High and one of Singer's teachers to boot. So Singer kind of felt weird having her in his room, even though she was his future sister-in-law.

"Hey Miss Cloud." said Singer. "What a pleasant surprise..."

"My, my you look handsome." she complimented.

"Thank you."

"And you don't have to call me Miss Cloud outside of school, Singer. Especially since you're going to be my new brother in a few months."

"Well, that's going to be fun..." he chuckled.

"Once you graduate, you'll be fine with it all." she returned. "I understand how having your teacher hanging around all of the time can be uncomfortable."

"Well, I do like you a whole lot more than I like my brother... he he..."

"You're so funny!" said Love Cloud. "Well, I just wanted to come by and see you guys before I headed off to the prom. I didn't know you were going to go too, Singer."

"Well I wasn't... but I kind of asked Violet to be my date, so... yeah... I guess I'm going."

"Remember to just have fun, Singer." reminded Belle.

"Thanks Mom. You are the greatest!"

"Don't you think you should get going so you can fly with Violet to the prom?" said Love.

"Oh... shoot! I gotta go! Bye mom, say hi to my dumb brother for me, Love!"

"Okay, I will!" said Love, giggling.

Singer marched along the cloudy streets of Cloudsdale. The sun was getting ready to set, and the streets were getting darker. The lights along the path to Violet's house were like a pathway and he was following them accordingly. It wasn't a long walk, so he didn't really feel the need to fly there.

Singer had reached her house and nervously approached the door. Why was he so nervous, for? Was it because it was the prom? Was he nervous that Violet would change her mind? Singer didn't know. But he was nervous for some reason. It wasn't like he was going on a date or anything. Okay, focus on having a good night. He knocked and anxiously awaited a response.

Just then, the door opened and her little brother, Rain was on the other side. He had grown up quite a bit over the years. He was now eight years old and a rotten little colt, he had become.

"Oh hey, Singer" said the colt. "Violet's up stairs. You can come in, if you want."

"Thank you Rain." said Singer as he walked inside. After walking in, he had probably stood at the door for ten minutes before Violet finally started walking down the stairs.

She looked amazing. She wore a fancy sparkly blue dress and she had her mane up in a bun plus a bit of makeup. She walked down stairs nervously and in that same modest fashion that she usually did. Violet wasn't a very show off-ish mare and preferred to keep it all modest. But that didn't stop Singer from seeing how pretty she looked. Rain stood beside him and elbowed him in the side because, according to him Singer had been staring at her.

"Mm-mm" grunted Rain, protectively.

"Oops... sorry, little buddy." said Singer.

"Oh Rain, go play with your toys, and quit acting like dad" laughed Violet.

"Alright, but I'm watching you mister!" said Rain making an "I'm watching you" gesture with his hoof at Singer..

Singer and Violet just stood there laughing for a minute before Violet began talking.

"So, do I look okay?"

"You look great, Violet. Beautiful, actually. I guess friends can say that about each other."

"I think it's okay, Singer. If it helps, you look handsome in your suit as well."

"Thank you, Violet. I do look rather awesome, don't I?"

Violet then giggled and nodded in agreement.

"So... shall we be off then? We wouldn't want to get there and it be over." she said.

"Oh... yes... sorry. Yes, let us go!"

Singer opened the door for her as they left the house and he followed after her out. They both spread their wings and flew off to the school for the prom, not failing to engage in another conversation along the way.

"You ready?" said Violet.

"Oh yeah" said Singer. "By the way, that's a... um... nice dress. Where did you get it? If you don't mind me asking."

"My mom wore this to her prom. Where she first danced with my dad. So this dress is very special to me, and I'm glad that I got to wear it."

"I'm sure your mom would be very proud to have you wear it, Violet."

"Thank you."

"Violet, I just want to thank you again for agreeing to come with me. I probably wouldn't have if you weren't."

"It was my pleasure. I kind of wanted to try to go this year, anyway. When you asked me to come with you, I had to say yes. Especially since I'm going with my bestest friend in all of Equestria."

"Aaaaaaw thank you. Tell you, what... today let's make this our night! We don't take any bull from any pony and we go out there and have fun! Take chances, make mistakes and if it comes down to it, get messy!"

"Sounds like a plan, Singer!" she giggled. "We could even crash the party if we have to."

"Let's not get too carried away, my friend." chuckled Singer.

They both flew through the night sky until they reached the well lit school building for the prom. Several ponies, along with them, were just now arriving so they knew that they were just in time. Singer and Violet were both feeling the excitement rise up inside them as they both got closer to getting inside. At the door, Singer walked ahead so that he could open the door for Violet. As they both walked through the school, they viewed all of the decorations and banners that had adourned the walls. The place looked festive enough. As they found the gym, they saw the other ponies from school inside, dancing and having a good time. Violet studied the room, making sure that none of those bullies were around, also feeling a bit of tension and fear and it showed in her features. Singer looked over at her, not failing to notice this. He didn't waste any time expressing his concern.

"Violet? Is everything okay?" he asked.

"I'm... just nervous, is all. Now that I'm here it just feels a bit..."

"Scary?"

"Yeah..."

Singer then reached over and grabbed her hoof without a second thought. He wasn't thinking about it, and apparently neither was she because she looked back up at him with a smile.

"Hey now. Remember something. This is OUR night, Violet. Nopony can tell us what to do. It's like, an adventure. Who knows what we are going to find? Danger, excitement, who knows maybe even love? Although I'm not quite sure about that last one."

Violet giggled a bit, before Singer tugged on her hoof, trying to help her gradually enter the room. She didn't protest, walking along with him, slowly out to the dance floor. Each step became easier for the both of them as Violet began to loosen up. They had other pegasai dancing around them. None of them seemed to pay the pair any mind. Perfect.

Singer smiled at her all the while, encouraging her so that way they could dance together. Violet looked into his eyes and felt comfort. She then embraced him for a second, the back of her head now against the back of his. Singer wasn't sure what the hug was for, but he didn't protest it. He only returned it.

"Thank you" she whispered into his ear. "If it wasn't for you, I'd have never gotten this far."

"That's what I'm here for, Violet. You've been there for me several times, I've been there for you, it's what friends are for."

"You're the best friend anypony could ever ask for."

After she said that, his heart began to beat at a rapid pace. He didn't know why he was doing this, but it felt good so he didn't fight it. It wasn't until Violet backed away slightly that the moment stopped. Her looking up at him, with a small smile once again.

"Are you ready to dance now?" she asked.

"Yes" he replied.

"Do you know how to? I can kind of guide you if you need any help, knowing what to do..."

"Oh... um... yes. I'm not quite sure what to do."

"It's okay, my cousin showed me how to do it... well okay I watched him and his marefriend dance, but I suppose that counts as showing me how." She then giggled. She was starting to have fun now, much to Singer's joy. "Now put your hooves around my waist, and I put my hooves on your shoulders."

"Are you sure that's how it goes?" he said nervously.

"Well that's how every pony else is doing it. See?" she said pointing to the other couples on the floor.

"Oh... I see... alright then."

Singer and Violet immediately got close together, him putting his hoofs at her waist and him putting her hooves over his shoulders and they began to slowly dance around the room. Only looking at each other. Unlike the other coupled dancers, Singer and Violet didn't really watch where they were going. That part had escaped their minds. But at the moment they were fine.

"So... anything exciting happening for you?" she asked him.

"Um... not much. Mom tried to get me my job back, but apparently the boss up at the restaraunt doesn't like me, so she got shown the door. I feel bad for her. I messed up and let her and my dad down."

"It's alright, Singer. You made a mistake but if what you told me is the truth, and I don't doubt that it is, you were defending yourself. I'm sure they understand."

"My mom does. My dad? Well... he's hard to please. I've never been able to do anything right in his eyes."

"He'll come around. I know he will."

"I like your optimism. But enough about me, what about you?"

"Well remember a while back, I said I wanted to re-open my mom's flower shop?"

"Oh yeah, I remember that!"

"Well, I talked to my dad about it, and he liked the idea. I get the keys to the store after I graduate!"

"That's great news, Violet!"

"I know! I'm so excited! And anything new on your singing career?"

"No... not yet."

He sort of lied there. He and his uncle Fender had been talking about leaving Cloudsdale and going to Las Pegasus after Singer was done with school. He wasn't sure if he was going to do it at this point, yet. But he knew that if it were to materialize, that he'd have to tell her eventually.

"Don't worry, something will open up."

"Yeah, I know. But I'm not worried about it right now. Especially at this moment."

Just then, the music was cut. Everypony looked up at the stage as the lights, which had been turned off were now turned back on, outshining the colored lights that had been turned on to light the room.

"Alright fillies and gentlecolts! Better get that groove on, because it's time for a fast paced dance!"

"Wait, what?" said Singer.

"Each of you prepare to start a swinging!"

A band got up on the stage and started to play a song called "Shake your Groove Thing".

Singer and Violet watched nervously as the other couples started to dance rapidly around them. Their forms had completely changed as they hopped around the dance floor with each other. Singer and Violet were probably the only pair, not doing it. Neither of them knew how to do it.

It wasn't until Violet grabbed Singer's hoof, catching him completely by surprise and pulle him close to her.

"This is our night, Singer. Time to make the most of it!"

Singer's features expressed a slight shock in Violet's aggressiveness to this situation. But the surprise was a pleasant one.

"May I have this dance, milady?" He said at last.

"I thought you'd never ask!" She giggled.

At first, they did the dance moves that every pony else was doing. Singer's left hoof was back at Violet's waste, while Violet's right hoof was back at Singer's shoulder. Singer and Violet's other hooves up in the air together, as they danced together across the floor like the others. However they broke the status quo, when Singer twirled Violet around and caught her while she fell back, not letting her hit the ground.

"Where did you learn to dance like that?" she asked, still being held up by Singer.

"I have no idea!" he said, picking her up and tossing her in the air, allowing her to glide with her wings all the way to the other side of the room.

He flapped his wings to join her at the other side of the room.

This didn't go unnoticed by the other ponies. They watched as the two friends continued their crazy dancing.

"I don't think that they expected that." He told Violet.

"I didn't either." She giggled.

As the song ended, Singer and Violet took a break and went to get some punch. As they did, though they both found themselves being swarmed by a group of other ponies. This kind of made Singer uneasy, Violet as well.

"Look guys, we don't want any trouble. Me and my friend here are just wanting to have a fun night is all."

"Relax" said a red stallion. "We're not here to give you trouble. We're here to say that you have mad skills! The both of you"

"I agree" said a prissy mint green mare, one of the popular kids in school. "Impressive for a couple of nerds."

"Um... thanks?" Singer replied.

"Have a good night, you two. Enjoy the rest of the prom." The red stallion said as the rest of them scattered.

"That was.... something." said Singer.

"Indeed" replied Violet. "I don't think we've ever been complimented before. Not here."

"I am cautiously optimistic."

"As am I."

As the night was starting to wind down and the prom coming to a close, it was time to announce the king and queen of the prom. As the votes were counted, the results were put in an enevelope and handed to the principal of the school by Love Cloud, who then returned to her seat.

"Okay everypony" said the principal, holding the envelope up in the air. "Voting for prom king and queen has been closed and the results are in."

The ponies all began to clap their hooves and cheer as they awaited the big unveiling of the king and queen. Everypony's eyes were glued to the stage with anticipation. Singer and Violet were no different. They didn't expect to get any votes, but they were still anxious to see who would get it.

"This is actually the most surprising turn out ever! I mean no offense to the pair I am about to call out, but I never would have guessed this, but..."

"JUST SAY IT!" yelled several ponies, not just students but a few teachers as well.

"Alright already! Sheesh!" said the principal reading the paper. "Violet Petals is our prom queen!"

"WHAT?!?" said Violet in shock. "H-how?"

"Come on up on stage, Violet!" said the principal.

Singer walked with her. He was just as surprised as she was, probably not as much because of her facial expression the whole time. Violet then snapped out of it and nervously flew the rest of the way to the stage. She smiled nervously as she walked up to the principal to recieve her crown.

"Congratulations, Violet." he said to her, as he put the crown on her head.

"Thank you." she said modestly. Still amazed at what had just happened.

She then looked over at Singer who gave her a look that expressed pride in her accomplishment. Once she saw his smile, she was ready to accept what had just happened. This was really happening.

"And our prom king is..."

Singer, stood there laughing, while everyone else stared intently. "As if it's going to be me."

"Singer Case! Singer is this year's prom king!"

A look of shock now adourned Singer's face before he spoke his next words. "What the..." was all he could say as he walked up to the stage.

This couldn't have been happening... could it? Singer and Violet were never that popular. So how did they win? It was a mystery to them.

As Singer was crowned, he thanked the principal as Violet had. The principal exited off of the stage and that same red stallion from earlier came back up and took the microphone again.

"So how about it, every pony?" he said as the others cheered. "I bet you two are wondering how this happened."

"Yes. I thnk we are wondering." admitted Singer.

"Well, this year we all decided to vote for someponies who don't get a lot of attention. Someponies who may have had it rough these past few years at school. It's not out of sympathy, don't take it like that. It's out of respect. Especially after the way you two were dancing out there on the dance floor tonight. Despite all of the drama you two have put up with, we all decided to make it all worth it."

"Wow..." said Singer. "Th-thanks. I... certainly never expected this..."

"You deserve it, brotha. Good job!"

Singer and Violet stood there, blushing. Cheeks as red as cherries. They honestly were at a loss for words and didn't really say much for the rest of the prom, other than a few thank yous over the microphone. Singer and Violet then grabbed each other's hooves and held them. This was a first for them as well. They both began to blush even more when they realized what they were doing, and let go.

"Sorry about that" he said.

"Oh... it's... okay..." she replied.

Later that night, Singer and Violet found themselves back at Violet's front door. Both of them over thier shock. Their night had been great, and what had happened at the prom was totally unexpected.

"Well, my queen... I hope you had a great night."

"I did. Did you, your highness?" she joked.

"I wouldn't have had it with anypony else. Thanks for coming with me."

"Thanks for asking me."

"We sure did have a blast didn't we?"

"Probably among the best nights I've ever had, Singer. Especially since I got to spend it with you!"

"Likewise."

"Would you like to come in for a little bit?" she asked.

"Oh, I better not. Thank you though. I should probably think about getting home before my parents start to worry."

"Oh... right." she said disappointedly. "Okay then. I suppose I will see you tomorrow then."

"Bet on it." he said giving her a hug. "Good night, Violet."

Without giving it a second thought, she kissed Singer on the cheek and then smiled at him. "Good night." She then went inside.

Singer didn't stand there but for a few seconds, but what Violet had did surprised him. What was that for? He wondered... maybe it was just to show appreciation for the great night. He then put that thought aside as he spread his wings and flew off into the sky, and headed for home.

As Violet walked through her house, she saw that Rain had fallen asleep on the couch. She walked over to him and patted his head. She then turned around and saw her dad standing behind her.

"Daddy?" said Violet. "You're still up?"

"Yep. How'd it go, sugar bear?" replied her father, using his little nickname for her. He was a brown pegasus stallion with a small moustache, and a black mane and tail.

"It was a great night. Me and Singer had a blast dancing tonight. We even won prom king and queen!"

"Whoa, how'd you two get so popular all of a sudden?"

"It's a long story. But it was an amazing night."

"I'm glad." He said. "I saw you two out there, just a second ago. You planted a wet one on his cheek. Do you like him?"

Violet's cheeks grew red at the mention of that.

"Dad! We've been friends since we were six, of course I like him."

"You know that's not what I meant, Violet."

"I know..." said Violet. "The more time I spend with him, the more and more I find myself wanting to be with him. Dad..."

"Yes baby?" he replied.

"I... think I might be having a crush on him..."

"Really? I never would have guessed." He said in a sarcastic tone, chuckling while his daughter glared at him. "Just kidding, baby girl. Well, I hope that he returns the feelings. You never know how us stallions can be. Some are bright and can tell if a mare likes them, and some can be quite ignorant to it. Just make sure that you don't try to move too fast on him until you know that he likes you in that way too. Trust me. There is nothing more terrifying to a stallion than when a mare, seemingly randomly expresses feelings for them."

"Are you sure?"

"Well, among one of the most terrifying things. But yeah. You don't have to listen to me. I'm full of it sometimes, but that's just how I'd do it."

"I'm just happy that we are as close as we are for now. I mean, I really really like him. But... if he doesn't get it right now, that's fine. I'm not so certain that I'm ready to go steady anyway."

"You're a smart mare, Violet. I know you'll make the right choices."

"Thanks daddy." she said hugging him. "Well I'm going to go to bed now. I love you. Good night."

"Good night, Violet." said her father as he too headed off to his room.

"If only I would have known how strongly she felt about me that day. Me? I was pretty blind. In my heart, I felt something there as well. But unlike Violet, I ignored it. Would I ever come through? Well, we'll just have to wait and see."

Author's Note:

I don't know if any of you caught my Magic School bus referrence there, but I had to say that "Take chances, make mistakes and get messy" line. Too hard to resist.

Violet and Singer's prom was definitely a memorable one. And Violet just admitted that she has feelings for Singer. But we've seen that coming for while now.

Next time, Singer is about to make a tough discision. Will he make the right choice? Find out next time as Singer is about to be a witness to his brother's wedding.