• Published 6th Sep 2013
  • 1,669 Views, 17 Comments

A Study in Twilight Sparkles - LunaOriented



Twilight Sparkle from the Equestria Girls Universe is on her first day to Canterlot High when an accident knocks her through the veil into Equestria. Instead of returning home she's decided she wants to live Twilight's life.

  • ...
3
 17
 1,669

Prologue: One Fateful Morning Updated: 01/02/14

“Where am I?” her voice echoed almost like its own reply. The room was dark except for paltry light provided by a wall sconce. Confused she looked around for a door but the only doors were in front of her and she was sure the direction she had fallen from was behind her. It didn’t make any sense. How could you just a fall into a room like this? Even more where was this place? The questions kept piling up and even more so she felt weird like she was crawling on the floor. Turning around she noticed her reflection in the surface of the mirror. Screaming she looked away, “What! That’s not right!?” Looking again this time she covered her mouth to stave off a scream. Same reflection looking back this time she stared hard noticing the peculiarities. As difficult as it was she compiled a list and began to recite it trying to keep calm. However when she opened her mouth another scream escaped her lips. Obviously she was incoherent there was no way this was happening. She wasn’t a horse, she didn’t have wings, no horns, she wasn’t purple, and her hair wasn’t violet. She wasn’t all these things, she was normal twilight the girl who didn’t fit in, who stayed in the library all day, had a cool older brother and a dog. But her hair was violet like her eyes and overall it really was her looking back. It was just this form, how does someone become a pony? That was the primary thought running through the jumbled mind of the foreigner. Perhaps if she looked back at this morning and everything leading up to this she would figure it all out.

First thing she remembered was the high cielings of her room and the boy waiting for her at the door. He was handsome as always and she adored him because they were bestfriends through everything. Today hadn’t really gone like she wanted. Heck, if it had been up to her she wouldn’t have gone at all. Yet, everything he said clung and weighted her down.

“Twilight Sparkle, you need to calm down. This is a good experience for you. You’ve done nothing but hole up in the library and come out when it’s time to eat.”

“I just can’t believe they would connive behind my back to send me someplace just because they think ‘I need to make friends’. I need friends less than I need these new clothes.” Twilight spoke indignantly.

“We won’t be here for you forever. I know Cadence would be disappointed to see you acting like this. Maybe you should try taking one from her book.” The mention of Cadence had changed Twilight’s look of discomfort into shame.

“I could try…I suppose.”

“Don’t give me that Twilight. That’s just a cop out. If you really wanted to make friends you would.” The pale ivory teen standing beside her offered no sympathy for her troubles. His attire of blue jeans and a white Crystal High sports coat gave off a similar feeling of cold. He’d been waiting for 20 minutes because his sister was working on being tardy for school. Originally Twilight had begged for a ride so she could forgo the ritual of riding a bus with her peers on the first day of school. However her brother had seen it as another ‘cop-out’ and refused. So instead of driving today he would forgo his daily calisthenics practice to walk her to the bus stop.

The two were still standing inside her room, a small space painted the same pale violet as her skin. Against the wall a bed was sheeted and covered with a bedspread that displayed a 6-pointed star emblem design. This shape found its way into all her clothing and possessions. it was no surprise when she appeared before her brother that morning wearing a split-zip up top displaying it. She had opted for a blue skirt to compliment the white background and easy walking boots clad in gray leather.

Once both teens had finished preparations and went downstairs into the kitchen, breakfast was already gone. Sitting at the kitchen table was their mother Twilight Velvet. She had a book in one hand and cup of coffee in the other.

“Have a good day at School, honey. Hopefully you’ll fit in this time.” Velvet’s light turquoise eyes looked visibly troubled as the teens passed. Spike the family dog sat on her lap, enjoying her careless strokes across his short fur.

Shining Armor stopped short, letting Twilight continue to walk out the door. “Are you sure this is a good idea? I don’t think she can take another school where she’s an outcast because of her brains.”

“It honestly wasn’t my idea. I received a phone call from your principal suggesting we try it. They can’t even convince her to go to class. She just stays inside the school library like some kind of ghost.”

“I didn’t know it was that bad. I’d heard rumors but I thought the bullying had stopped.”

“She’s so quiet about school that I didn’t know either. The principal said he had talked to Vice Principal Luna of Canterlot High about the issue and she had agreed to a transfer so that Twilight might at least graduate."

A quick glance at his wrist caused the teen to exclaim in surprise, “I have to go, Mom. Sorry!”

Twilight had been waiting impatiently for her brother. “I could have missed the bus by now and you’d have to drive me to school.”

“Unlikely. We would have seen the bus if it had come. It drives down this street to turn around. Not to mention there is other bus stops. And you could always walk.”

“Fine.” the teen pouted stepping away from the white siding of the house and off the short concrete porch. They walked in silence with Shining Armor taking the position closest to the street. He was enjoying the air as they walked, but they were in such a rush they couldn’t stop for any reason, much less be polite to those they passed. Along the way Twilight’s fancy for certain animals kicked in and her eyes wandered occasionally to take a peek at one.

“Alright Twilly. Give it your best shot and good luck.” Her brother proclaimed after only two blocks. The corner ahead was marked with a sign declaring the bus route. Next to the stop another girl was casually waiting at the corner. Twilight could only presume it was for the same reason as her.

Shining Armor had turned around, taking off at a light jog back the way they came. She understood he couldn’t dawdle, but his hurried pace made her feel even more uneasy. After deciding not to dwell on it her interest turned to the other teenager. Bright curls wound themselves tightly into a tangle of pink raspberry around the girl’s face and she hummed with a goofy smile. Twilight quickly noted ear buds were behind the girl’s obliviousness to Twilight’s approach. She bubbled inside with uncertainty until finally she made up her mind to say something but the bus’s approach drowned out everything.

The bus was a white liner decked in gold and blue; the colors of the Wondercolts. The swivel doors on the front opened, revealing a light blue interior and a bus driver in a clean jumpsuit. No stranger to buses she grasped the metal guide rail and boarded the bus. Inside the noise of chatty school kids and scuffling feet combined with the sound of someone practicing the French Horn. Twilight found an open spot towards the front and took a seat. Immediately a trend she was used to had begun. The other students moved away giving her unnecessary amounts of room and attention with their eyes. Looking around at all these people she knew it wasn’t to going to change. She would always be alone. All she would have is her books. That’s all she needed as far as the teen was concerned. The whispering continued amongst the other riders and she was sure they were waiting for a slip up. Unable to avoid their stares and silence she settled in, pulling a thick hardcover book from her bag and starting to read.

“Hey, Twilight!” a happy voice chirped from the aisle. Putting the book down she looked up dumbfounded at the girl.

“How do you know my name?”

The other girl’s cerulean eyes ignited with insight then she ran to back of the bus leaving Twilight completely stupefied. She didn’t know but it was eerie. Twilight was sure she would have remembered someone like that if they had ever met before. Even after the girl was gone it stuck to her soul like glue. Somehow she’d find out who that girl was and how they were acquainted.

For a bus ride the trip was excruciatingly long in twilight’s standard of time and was only pronounced being close to completion by the jostled stop and the view of yellow that overflowed through the window. They were stopped in a long line waiting to get to the drop off zone. She began to feel irritated at every go-stop-go so much so she began to mutter it in time.

Then the exultation of being released came when the airbrakes released announcing the final stop and the eventual departure from the cramped vehicle.

Everyone rushed trying to get out first. It was a stupid competitive ritual because it didn’t really matter who went first. Once everyone was off the bus there would be another pile up at the front doors of the school if this was anything like her last one. As the line piled up and she waited to get off the bus it gave her a chance to see the large school through the windows. Its ivory bricked glory and the banner hanging down over the foyer of the school stood out against the green and blue of the surroundings. The sight kept her mesmerized until her boots were planted firmly on the sidewalk.

Tourist eyes looked over the school and she realized it made her look new. Putting her head down practically left her blind and when she did look up she saw the stallion statue a few feet in front of her. It’s solid stone features looked towards the sky. She wished she could have looked that confident. Suddenly the steady flow of students increased pushing her towards the statue. She was at their mercy and her legs weren’t co-operating in the least. Twilight wondered what was going to happen to her when the crowd stopped moving. Time was lost on the teen and the bell rang its first warning; predictably it became treacherous. At that point she could remember feeling tripped and the terrible falling towards the statue as she was pushed out the side of the moving tide. She closed her eyes and extended her arms hoping that would stop it all. Instead everything went silent and the girl was sure that she had passed out. Maybe was she dead on the concrete? It certainly would have been better than the humiliation of another school. But no she found herself in this dark room when she opened her eyes.

Everything suggested this wasn’t a hallucination. She felt the pain of stretching out her wings and the tumbles of trying to walk; she could even smell the paraffin of the candles on the wall. Yet it didn’t make Twilight happy at all. A new world to learn and no hands to read any of the books on the shelves? It couldn’t get any worse. The recollection had calmed the alicorn but still answered no questions. Twilight wasn’t a unicorn and wasn’t a Pegasus. She had deduced she must be a winged unicorn because a horned Pegasus sounded preposterous.

Twilight could stay here as long as she liked until death set in. The only options seemed to be going through the door and seeing what this world held. If it was different; then perhaps she would no longer be the outcast. She could have friends but she would never love. You can’t love outside your species that was the decision anyway.

The first task to this world was walking. Every attempt seemed to leave the pony feeling like it was over glorified crawling. She could do it but not gracefully. Every step she had to think about and that took away from other important thoughts.

The wings were the real mystery. They scared her beyond any doubt. Humans didn’t fly and boarding an aircraft didn’t count. A few experimental flaps and she hovered weakly but the space didn’t accommodate for much more practice than that. Falling back down onto the plush carpet she sat up from a sprawled out position and stared at the door as if she had x-ray vision. Nothing had changed about the door; it was large, made of dark wood and didn’t have any peepholes what so ever.

The real issue was that her apprehension was kicking her in the muzzle. She didn’t really have a reason to fear leaving the room because this room wasn’t going to feed her. Finally putting her mind to it she approached the door. The task of opening the lifeless cold object that barred her way, was a whole new experience. It left her feeling dead to the world. She wanted to know who was responsible for such a hard task. For it certainly wasn’t her.

Just as quickly as she stepped out into a cool air of the hallway the door shut with a loud creak and two voices greeted in unison, “Good Morning Princess.”

They were battle hardened ponies donned in gold Spartan armor and the apprehension returned with the weak greeting she gave, “Good Morning.”

“Early reading in the royal library?” An orange coated Pegasus asked sincerely.

“Uh, yes. “

“I was sent to report that your friends left earlier and will be waiting for you at the train station.”

“Oh, thank you.” She said backing away almost into a wall but corrected herself to face the right direction. Focusing on walking turned out to be the best policy until she almost turned into another wall.

Saving grace turned out to be the bright light coming in from further down the corridor and the fact that it opened into a magnificent great hall. This room was sparsely furnished and focused on two thrones on a raised dais. A door leading out at the far end of the hall caught her attention and she rushed for it. Stopping short her legs wobbled as a voice called, “Hey, Twilly!”

Turning back she saw a unicorn of white with a blue mane walking towards her. Behind her the guard from earlier was approaching from the hall. “Look, Shining Armor. I don’t need you tailing me wherever I go. I can take care of myself.” She suddenly felt embarrassed at her remark. Had she really forgotten that this Unicorn wasn’t her big brother.

“Look, is this about Flash Sentry and his guards keeping a watch on you while you’re around the castle? Cadence and I are just concerned that another pony seeking the elements of harmony could come running through the gate again.”

Her eyes sparked up. There was a gate of some kind back to her world and back in that room of course. No doubt though she was trapped but who needed to go back? Not her. If he was her big brother then she could just exist here as easily. It already looked more prospective first she would just need to meet these friends.

Noticing he was waiting for her response she opened her mouth but got instead of a well-planned reply this spilled out, “Ah, got it… I just spent too long in the library that’s all.” She turned towards the door when he cut her off by spinning the wily alicorn around. “I came to see you off. It seemed to me you were going to leave without saying good bye to your big brother.” Shining Armor touched his horn to hers as a sign of affection. Magic infiltrated her mind it seemed to be memories of happiness.
“I’m really sorry about what I said. You do care.”

“Of course, you’re my sister. Now you best be off the train will be departing soon.”

A smile lingered as she turned to go. She was loved here by a big brother and had friends. There was magic too but she couldn’t miss meeting her new friends. They were more important than focusing on learning the magic of this world. That would have to come later when she got to her new home.

She did however whisper softly as she reached the door, “I’ll see you again brother.”

Author's Note:

This is a learning experience for me as a writer I'm looking for direct feedback. If you find something oddly written or you feel it needs work tell me in Message or Comment. I'm noticing that I overlook things when I'm writing because I automatically supplement the words with the backing that's not on the page.

I also give thanks to my editor Agent_Trune who proofreads this and slaps me every time I put seeming/seemingly twice in a sentence.

Another update: 01/02/14