• Published 6th Sep 2013
  • 1,667 Views, 17 Comments

A Study in Twilight Sparkles - LunaOriented



Twilight Sparkle from the Equestria Girls Universe is on her first day to Canterlot High when an accident knocks her through the veil into Equestria. Instead of returning home she's decided she wants to live Twilight's life.

  • ...
3
 17
 1,667

Chapter One: Trains

The sun was hanging high over the train station by the time Twilight Sparkle had arrived at its base. Feeling a little wary she held back to recover before walking up the landing to see these so called ‘friends’ of hers. The train station itself was a neat facility painted in navy blue with lilac and white shingled roofing. It was odd that the floor was painted in the same matching purple roofs. It made all the inhabitants stand out. However it was so busy she couldn’t tell who these friends were. It became obvious once 5 ponies rushed her.

The first pony, a Pegasus prodded, “Jeez Twilight you took forever getting back.” Her mane was a brilliant rainbow that shone above a sky blue coat. She was edgy and kept prancing with excitement.

“It’s doesn’t matter, Rainbow Dash. I’m just glad she made it back on time.” This time the speaker was light orange earth pony with a mane of straw colored hair pulled back in a hair tie.

“Um, excuse me.”

“Still she almost didn’t. It would have been a lonely train ride back without Twilight.”

“Um, um. Please, the train…”

“And I’m telling you it doesn’t matter.”

Suddenly a loud voice proclaimed over the ponies, “Boarding now for Ponyville. I repeat Train 3 for Ponyville is boarding now.”

The interrupting Pegasus looked apprehensive with defeat for she had failed to deliver the message-before the train staff- to her friends. She glided on pastel yellow wings towards the gate before landing gently in line for boarding the train.

However the effect was the two friends had stopped arguing and both moved into line with the rest. Unnoticed at her hooves was a purple dragon who was yawning sleepily. His resemblance to her family dog was remarkable so she had no choice but to try since her last gamble had been correct. “Spike?” she questioned hoping it wasn’t wrong.

“Yes Twilight?”

“We’re going to be boarding the train soon. You can nap then.” She was getting adept at lying. As long as she faked it no one would know the difference. They marched slowly onto the train as their luggage had already been loaded so there was only a few carry on’s following behind their respective owners. The cars were multi-colored and cute in their own way.

The mare could not help but be awed at the roomy seating and luxury of the cars. Red velvet cushioned seats and the wood paneling were refreshing compared to this morning.

“Gee, Twilight is something wrong?” another one of her friends. She was bright pink with the most gorgeous blue eyes and what Twilight felt was a funny way of speaking.

“I’m fine. Just a little tired is all.”

“Alright.” With that she took off hopping down the car. It was odd to watch yet the amazing thing was that she didn’t hit the ceiling even once.

The last unicorn wasn’t silent in the least, she was ignoring Twilight completely and engaging in a steady conversation with Applejack about some dance event and the ideas she had gotten from the crystal pony boutiques.

It had been hard to feign and lie but she knew if they found out the truth they would abandon her and she’d be alone and lost in this world. Something she had picked up listening was this land was called Equestria and the place she emerged into was called The Crystal Empire. Twilight could only hope that this world’s Twilight Sparkle stayed out of her new life. She had decided after mingling with Shining Armor that this place was way better than home. But really after all this she just wanted a nap. Now feeling scott free she began to settle in for the train ride to a place called Ponyville.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The chamber was gray stone and barren of all personal items. It belonged to a violet Alicorn, who was missing at the time. She had teleported back to her room to recover the journal of a famous wizard before she would have to leave for home. Missing her ride home was something she didn’t wish to endure yet it had taken forever to find the book. Somehow it had ended under the bed much to her annoyance. One glimpse in the mirror showed a face she had always known. Simple tresses with their normal magenta streak and pale purple eyes that reflected the light; she was suddenly reminded of her need to return to the train station. Teleporting felt weird at first; it was like being blinded and your body is being taken apart like an action figure then reassembled at the location you imagine. This Twilight Sparkle was the native here and her magic was strong enough to prove her to be able to transcend all the worlds’ magics.

Yet, punctuality wasn’t one of her strong suits as was the magic of friendship. She was tardy and constantly being distracted by her own reflection. It took a moment for the distraction to pass and time suddenly hit her like a bad realization. “I’m late! I’m late, so very late! No! No!” she cried zipping through space suddenly appearing on the platform at the train station. A couple nearly jumped out of their seats after the Alicorn suddenly appeared, it's body occupying space too close for comfort. Wandering lost she realized the train was gone and so was her friends.

“If you had been here, perhaps, ten minutes earlier you could have made the train. Next one will be arriving 30 minutes before sunset. You will have to wait here unless you feel the need to fly or try and teleport yourself since you scared those two over there shitless. Excuse my language, Princess.” The window attendant, a gruff old stallion, hadn’t been exactly rude, but just blunt.

Thoughts bubbled like nonsense in her brain trying to find an answer. Even a thought back to a Starswirl the bearded spell for a teleportation hub came to mind. Problem was Starswirl’s notes indicated many places one could end up besides Ponyville. So that was too risky. Another thought was to fly to the train and board that way except she knew there were long tunnels on the way to Ponyville and her flying was lackluster at best. So that was another plan out the window.

One idea rose to the surface above the rest. “Of course, teleportation!” exclaimed the eureka afflicted Alicorn. Focusing her mind on the train she imagined where it must be and herself moving to its location. A feeling came over Twilight and it was cold but warm at the same time. It was a different than she was used to. Then following it consciously she began to feel sick like something had hit her squarely in the tummy and then she became dizzy as if she had been run through some high-tech spinning machine designed for drying laundry. She couldn’t let that invention idea bother her now so she opened her eyes to find herself standing on the very edge of the train. Rail behind her it was a very close encounter and she dare not think of the mortality rate of pony-railroad accidents. At least she was still whole as far she knew. Maybe it was the distance but Twilight still didn’t like the feeling.

The first rail car was the luggage car and it was stacked to the brim with valises and other bags. Easily navigated she was lucky for the lack of a posted guard. Rid of the car she nervously listened to the air as it whipped with the sound of a radar's Doppler.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Wake up, Twilight.” Applejack said nudging the Princess.

“Yes?” The Alicorn yawned softly opening one sleepy eye.

“We’re almost back. That was a nice vacation Princess Cadence treated us to. Oh how I wish I could have stayed longer.” The pale unicorn reminisced with stars in her eyes.

“I’ll be glad to get back to my studies.” Now it was Twilight who had stars in her eyes.

“Rarity, you’d miss home eventually and it looks like Twi has already gone home.”

It was then a voice came over the loud speaker, “Disembarking for Ponyville will commence in 5 minutes.”

The ride itself had felt short despite how long it had taken to get there. Thanks to unicorn portal magic the journey was cut down from 4 hours to less than two. It was the proprietary magic of the Equestrian Rail Ways. The magic was a very recent discovery attributed to the crowning of Princess Twilight Sparkle.

The party of six didn’t rush their departure, choosing instead to wait for the others to depart. The seats were warm still and Spike was still waking from his nap as well. “You couldn’t let me sleep?” yawned spike.

“If we had you could have ended up lost and alone.” Twilight teased.

“Don’t talk like that Twi. Now that I’m up lets go home.”

“That may be true but you shouldn’t tease poor Spike like that.” Applejack interceded.

“That’s true. I’m sorry, Spike.”

Spike didn’t look happy about his adopted mother’s sense of humor, yet he had to concede to the truth of the matter. Without her he wouldn’t have even been born. After the outburst was over the train had become empty enough for the mares to dismount. Ponyville’s station looked more serene and realistic compared to the pastel colors they had left behind. First to leave the group was Apple Jack. Big Mac and Apple Bloom had come to bring her home.

She had left to discuss everything that had happened while they had been gone. What they spoke of was incomprehensible if you weren’t in their circle.

“Wait, Twilight.” Spike cried launching himself onto her back. Twilight had nearly bucked from the unaccustomed weight. “Uh, aren’t you going to carry your luggage?” Spike asked next. A purple trunk was sitting lonely on the ground. Some ponies were pulling there’s by the teeth while other unicorns used magic. She hadn’t any experience with magic and now the baby dragon was expecting some trick. It was a dire situation and her heart began to beat heavily

She was saved when two young stallions approached. One was a muted burnt orange, the other was tan. “Allow us to assist you Princess.” It didn’t take long for it to dawn on her that being a princess had its perks. “Oh, thank you.” Blush suffused Twilight’s cheeks.

“Oh, aren’t you lucky, Twilight. Two hunks to carry you home.” Rarity sighed.

“I’m not sure that’s a compliment.”

“Oh, oh but it is. I want two pieces of hunky goodness to carry me for the rest of my life.”

“Well, Ok then. I’ll be going now.”

It was then the two pegasi appeared before her. “I’m glad I got tell you this before you left but I had a good time. Hopefully we can hang out again soon.” The bright yellow Pegasi flew gently towards the forest. It didn’t seem like she could go fast even if she wanted to.

The next was the memorable Rainbow Dash, “I’m with Fluttershy. I agree I had a great time. I’ll be seeing you.” Her rainbow mane soared across the sky, moving away from the train station towards the great unknown. Pinkie Pie was still unseen, but that was just like her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hearing the loudspeaker announce their arrival at Ponyville left Twilight speechless. “I went that far?” She stood there, musing about the teleportation spell before the sudden horde of train goers knocked her out as they amassed at the doors. Overall she was so tired she didn’t want to fight the crowd. She really just wanted to see her friends and check on Spike. That nap seemed really appetizing; she thought about sinking into the nearest unoccupied bench and wasting a few hours. All she could do is wait to get out, which could take forever by her standards.

One thing kept plugging through her mind. She felt betrayed by her friends and couldn’t believe they’d leave without her. It was really painful to push so hard and find no success. Deep in thought she failed to notice the pink party pony trying to get her attention towards the front of the car.

Author's Note:

I feel this chapter is a little choppier than my previous work. I'm thinking of taking another go at it tomorrow.

Again thanks goes to my editor Agent_Trune. This time it was sentences that lead to cliffs. I know this isn't where the side walk ends....at least I hope it isn't.