• Published 9th Sep 2013
  • 2,708 Views, 94 Comments

The Immortal Hero And The Nightmare Queen - Gravitiaxis



You are the Immortal Hero. A legendary hero who's exploits will be witnessed throughout time. Throughout the ages you have lived countless lives and have saved many more. Your nearing you next life and it's time for the next adventure.

  • ...
7
 94
 2,708

Chapter One: The Origin Stories

You had this strange sensation like you were falling into an abyss. It was cold. It was dark. It felt kind of like... like you were falling into the depths of the ocean. You leaned back, letting go, allowing yourself to continue to drift away. You were now falling faster than before now. The sensation was incredible. The air that rushed over your skin was ice cold and somehow smooth. It felt something like water, but at the same time like cold air. And the freedom that went with that feeling was just amazing. You found yourself loving the feeling you were experiencing, but then suddenly, it stopped. Just like that, it stopped.

Your puzzled eyes snapped open, and there was suddenly a flash of brilliant light. You knew at this point that it was no use to cry for help. Nothing could reach you out here, falling into the sunset. Then suddenly, in another flash of light, you found yourself surrounded by a great blue, as though you were right back where you had started. Falling into what seemed like the ocean. You spun and twirled through the water-like atmosphere, falling headfirst until your legs grew heavy. As you opened your eyes (with some effort) you found yourself now flipping right-side up. Your feet touched solid ground.

You looked around. Nothing but darkness, and not a soul in sight. You took a brave step forward, and as you did so, another blinding light came up from below you once more. What's up with the light show? You had to shield your eyes as the darkness you were standing on broke away and flew off. You watched as the pieces of blackness began to fly away, and realized that those creatures were not dark fragments. They were birds. Doves, to be more exact. You gaped at them, their white feathers drifting downward all around your body. Until finally, all of them had flown away, deeper into the blackness that surrounded you.

You turned your head slightly to the right, so you were now looking over your shoulder, before turning to look ahead once again. You were truly all by yourself. You were on a small circular platform that seemed to be floating in a dark abyss.

You ran one hand through your hair and began to think. “This place seems so familiar and yet…” You stopped yourself as you continued to ponder the situation you were in. "... I know I haven't been here."

“What to do...” Suddenly, you hear a voice - it seemed to have come from everywhere and yet nowhere all at once. Perhaps it came from within you. Wherever it had come from, it had caused you to look back over your right shoulder. You tried to follow the voice, slowly moving your head from the right side to the left in an attempt to pinpoint the voice's source. This proved to be successful as you began to see a white, featureless female descend towards the ground. The only feature you could make out was the blank frown that was warped onto her face.

“So much to do... So little time... Take your time... For I shall give you some of mine.” She said in a voice that contained a reverberating echo.

You were at a loss. Take your time? But there was only "so little time", that sentence seemed to contradict itself. You found yourself confused and almost frightened by this series of events. What in the world was happening?!

“Do not be afraid. I am a friend... Probably the only true friend you’ll make in this long quest.”

Quest? What quest?

“Now, I want you to step forward. Can you do it?”

For a moment, you weren’t sure if you could. Your feet suddenly felt extremely heavy, as if you had grown roots and were suddenly stuck to the spot. You looked around for a while, wondering if you ought to obey the strange being in front of you. Then, swallowing hard, you lifted your bare foot up off the ground, and took a step forward. Then another. And another. You managed to cross over to the center of the platform, and then stood still, as though awaiting further instructions from the strange being.

“Good. Power sleeps within you, Great power that has yet to be untapped.”

Suddenly, a beam of light appeared to your right. You turned your head to look at it, and saw three large stone tablets bearing three men who were each standing on a pedestal. Each one had a name, which was engraved onto their respective tablet. The first pedestal said, "Here lies Luxaemui, The last Citizen of Somesthia." The second said, "Here lies Aetherraent, The First Archmage of Equestria." The last of the three said, "Here lies Legak, The Lonely Traveler."

“That is… If you give it form...”

“Can you elaborate? Because I’m kinda at a loss here.”

“Of course… You will become the greatest of heroes that this world has ever known.” The being said, sounding as if she was stuck between a crazy mixture of sadness and glee.

“And what world would that be?" You asked, folding your arms.

"The world of Equis."

"I see... So... What if I refuse? What if I don’t want to become a hero?”

“I am sorry, but that is not an option. This is your punishment.”

“My punishment?”

“Yes. Your punishment for committing the ultimate sin.”

“And that would be?”

“…”

“…?”

“I’m sorry. I cannot tell you.”

“So, you punish me for something I can’t even remember. And that punishment doesn't even seem like it's a real punishment. It’s sounds like more of a reward than anything else.”

“The price for doing good, often outweighs the price for doing evil.”

This made you ponder on what she said. Your head was just drawing out blanks. Your knowledge on heroes was gone, so you couldn't even begin to ponder on what she meant by that. Asking questions seemed to be the best idea. “What do you mean?”

“You will find out soon enough.” So much for asking questions. The being formed that same frown that she greeted you with. At a loss for words at the moment, you decided to wait until she began speaking again. “The men in front of you are just empty husks, a body that has yet to be embodied by a soul. You shall choose your body, and your origin.”

“I see. So all I have to do is just pick one?” The girl nodded her head slowly, as if anticipating your next move.

“Allow me to make it easier for you to choose.” You watched as the nearest body towards you began to enlarge itself, as the other bodies’ shrank. Each body she pointed out would enlarge as she described it in order for you to get a better look. “This is Luxaemui, The last citizen of Somesthia. You were born and raised as house slave, who did every bidding of his master. The life as a slave was a hard one to most, many inspired to be something other than someone's property, while only few had the opportunity. You on the other hand, was perfectly content with you mundane tasks and your lack of knowledge. You were that rare person among your species who truly believed that ignorance was truly bliss. You were treated fairly well, and was properly fed everyday. All that was asked of you was to do your job correctly. However, your life changed when you came across a strange woman who had passed out in your master's fields. You immediately contacted your master and brought her into your master's home for safety. You spent the next five weeks caring for a woman you didn't even know. You were told that she had some undetermined illness that kept her bedridden. The other servants were told to stay away from the woman, leaving you to take of her. You didn't understand why, but you felt drawn to her. Every thing she asked for you provided to her without a second thought, like a child who had just discovered his first crush.

It didn't take you that long to figure out that this woman was extremely intelligent. You found yourself barely able to understand what she was telling you. She seemed to understand this as well, and offered to teach you some of her knowledge. At first learning seemed hard, but you were willing to put up with it, if meant that the girl would like you better. Everyday you would visit her and she would teach you everything she knew. Math, Science, History, all the different languages, she taught you everything she could. As you came to enjoy spending time with her, you began to enjoy learning. Everyday, little by little, the woman's feelings towards you grew as well, until one day when you came to visit her, you found out that she had paid for your release as a slave. Allowing you to finally become a free man. You quickly married her and bought a small house within the nation's capital. Throughout the years she taught you many more things, one of these included Alchemy. During your lessons on the subject you found out that you were blessed with the natural born talent of Alchemy, earning the title The Grand Alchemist after the Somesthian army saw what you were capable of. You quickly rose through the ranks and ended up becoming a general for your nation's army at a young age. At the age of twenty seven, eight years after receiving your new found citizenship, a calamity struck your entire civilization, leaving you the sole survivor of your entire country. After the calamity, you found yourself unable to die. A prisoner who's being forced to be reminded of his his past mistakes over and over.”

"Hmm, not at all where I thought that story was going, but interesting nonetheless."

She slowly nodded her head as she continued. “This is Aetherraent. A young human born during times when Equestria was just a bunch of warring states. At a tender age of six your entire family was slaughtered during an attack by a rival city-state, you spent the next six years of your childhood at an orphanage where you isolated yourself from the other kids and caretakers. During your teens you were taken in by an old mage who saw great potential in you and adopted you as one of his apprentices. You spent years growing up under his tender care, learning the ways of magic, and forming close bonds with the other apprentices. For a time things seemed to be almost perfect, that is until his untimely death. Your master's death left you almost filled with despair. You looked to your fellow mage brothers for comfort. You spent years watching each other's backs and traveling as famous mercenaries, well know for your ability to perform high level magic. During the final days of the war, you and your brethren allied yourselves with Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, and took up a stand against the tyrant King Sombra. The war ended with a victory from the Princesses, but a loss for you as only one of your brethren survived.

No longer needed as a mercenary, you were given a spot along with your surviving brother to become advisers to the new rulers of the newly unified Equestria. During your time as an adviser, you and your fellow comrade had created dozens of magical formulas that revolutionized the arcane world. However, you began to see that your comrade had become obsessed with finding the secrets of immortality. Remembering the past lessons of your former teacher, you reminded yourself to not get involved, as this feeble pursuit for immortal youth would surely backfire with the worst of consequences. For the next few weeks you repeatedly tried to warn your companion about the dangers of what he was searching for, but each time you were brushed aside. You hoped that he would first die of old age, so you could destroy the knowledge of what he had discovered so far, but fate would not allow you to be so lucky. One day during you daily visits, you were told that he had finally discovered a way for him to gain immortality. At first you applauded him with fake admiration, but stopped upon hearing what the deadly cost was: The life of a mortal human, for the price of receiving an immortal one. You didn't realize until it was too late that your once most trusted comrade had become mad, and aimed to kill you. He tricked you into a magic circle which allowed him to keep you immobilized, and walked into a bigger one and performed the spell. It was as quick and painless as he described it would be, but it surprised you when you actually woke to find yourself younger, and a withered old body laying in the very corner your comrade once was. He had gotten both circles mixed up in his excitement. Allowing him to give you immortal life at the cost of his. In his final words he mumbled something about a girl who had betrayed him. For something you did not want to be a part of, together you two were hailed as one of the greatest magical minds in history, even after his death of a sudden illness. For your supposed accomplishment for being the first to figure out how to achieve immortality you were held by the Princesses as well as the masses as The First Archmage.”

"You can't say that the price for knowledge ain't dangerous."

"And last but not least. Legak. He's called the lonely traveler for a reason. Unlike the other two, You will be plagued by your lack of memories, rather than your existing ones. Your real name has been lost to time, but the name you own now is a name you had adopted from a little girl who offered it to you. Burdened with the life you cannot lose, you have been traveling from one kingdom to the next for the last twenty years, living as a mercenary who does the jobs regular soldiers can't do. The only thing that you keep from your past is your skill in the way of the blade, and a pendent that holds a picture of a loved one that you can no longer remember. You prowess in battle has caused you to be feared by those who have worked with you and by those who have worked against you. The fact that, no matter how many times you are slain, that you still continue to rise might be a factor in why you are often called The Immortal Warrior. "

"I see..."

"These are your three choices... Choose well. Because this is the body you will be stuck with until your journey is over."

Author's Note:

There you go.

Would you choose the former slave who specializes in alchemy, which is basically the act of changing one form of matter into another(think of fullmetel alchemist), or how about former apprentice who specializes in usual arcane arts, or rather you would chose the amnesiac warrior whose specialty lies within the art of the blade? Make sure to comment.

Each origin will effect how the protagonist will react to certain things, like to people, places, situations, etc. So give you your vote on who to choose.

Polls will close 9/15/13