• Published 14th Dec 2013
  • 874 Views, 17 Comments

The Dawn's Horizon - T3mp3st



Dawnstar can't seem to find happiness in the walls of Canterlot Castle. Perhaps a trip to Ponyville can change this.

  • ...
2
 17
 874

4

Author's Note:

What!? Different colored text in the middle of the story? Yeah, I know you probably know what that means; for the ones who don't, it's a hyperlink for music to play in the background. Whether its for dramatic effect, to set the mood, or just for background music. I'm sorry that this is mainly a Dawnstar chapter, however, I think it is necessary to get the plot moving, and help establish some back story. Please let me know what you think, as always. FYI; I can't figure out how to get the links to open in other windows or tabs so the whole 'right click-open in new tab' thing may have to come in play.

Dawnstar opened the front door to the Golden Oaks Library with a bit of caution, which caused the door to creak slightly. Inside seemed quiet, however he knew from experience that what waited for him through the doorway was either a studious princess caught up in a book....

"Where! Have! You! Been!?"
!

Or an easily panicked studious princess who seems to have forgotten that he wasn't a foal anymore. Dawnstar winced as he walked through the door and into the view of the Princess of Magic herself. Twilight Sparkle stood in front of him with her wings flared, the look of anger and panic was plain on her muzzle and her purple eyes were staring harshly at him. A sight he had seen many times when he would get into trouble when he would stay with his aunt. A piece of parchment was floating in a violet aura next to her; this gave the prince a bad feeling in his gut.

"Please tell me you didn't schedule something that has me busy the rest of the day; because tonight isn't what I would call a good night." Dawnstar wasn't surprised to see her face shift to the look of not being amused. As he made his way closer, Twilight cleared her throat and brought the parchment in front of her.

"This, actual, is a list of important issues that I have to get done by the end the month. You should know, however, that our work can only be put on hold for a limited time. Granted I'm sure a weeks worth of work is easy for the Prince of Darkness himself." Twilight let out a small giggle as she placed the parchment on a nearby desk. Dawnstar sat down in a chair as he watched his "aunt" move across the room to retrieve a small bit bag from a table. "Anyway, I had planned on getting with the girls for dinner and thought it would be nice to have you join us."

Dawnstar raised an eyebrow as he heard Twilight talk, "Then what's with the raised voice that could've gave Mom's Royal Voice a run for its money?" A small blush formed on the lavender mare's cheeks along with a shy smile.

"So, I may have over reacted a little bit when I noticed that you were gone; considering you decided not to bring any guards along this time."

"A little?"

"Ok, a lot, but what did you expect; going out and not telling me. We can argue about that later, the girls can't wait to see you again." Without giving Dawnstar a chance to argue back, Twilight's horn glowed its familiar violet color and after a brief flash of white disappeared; only to reappear a few seconds later in front of a very deadpanned stallion. "I guess it would be best if we walked, huh?" Twilight let out a small nervous giggle as she trotted out of the library door.

Dawnstar simply rolled his eyes with a smile, "Same ol' Twilight," he muttered to himself as he made his way to her side after closing the door.


The sun was almost set by the time Twilight and Dawnstar arrived at Sugarcube Corner; the magnificent colors of the ending day and upcoming night made Dawnstar smile. This was his favorite time of the day, it always seemed so peaceful during this time and also knowing that he would be seeing his mother's greatest pride and joy (second to him, of course) rise from the east, made his smile grow larger. Other than being the home to Equestria's greatest heroes and newest princess, Ponyville was also known as having the most beautiful sunrises, sunsets, and nights.

His smile quickly faded as he noticed the first constellation appear in the sky; the image of his father's cutie mark placed next to where the moon will soon be located made him stop in his tracks. Seeing the cutie mark constellation of two intertwined hearts in the middle of a shield brought a tear to his eye as he remembered the few moments he spent with his father. However, they were very few, considering his death occurred when Dawnstar was still a little colt. One thing he did remember was that Noble Heart was a highly decorated Royal Guard, who won the heart of a princess not for power or wealth, but actual love and was willing to turn in his strips to stay with his love. But, when an attack by the Changelings left him with a fatal wound; Princess Luna promised that she'd never forget him, forming the constellation the moment he entered eternal sleep.

"Dawnstar? Honey, are you ok?" The sound of Twilight Sparkle's voice broke the golden stallion out of his trance. After wiping the tears out of his eyes, he turned to see a very concerned looking princess. She took note of where he was looking and decided to wrap a wing around him. "You miss him don't you?" She didn't need an answer, instead she got a very wanting hug from him in return.

"After all these years, and I still cry when I see him in the sky. I never thought I would miss him this much." As he fought back the tears that threatened to pour from his eyes. He turned his head to her and gave a smile, "Gather your friends, I think they'll enjoy what's about to take place tonight." Her ears perked up as she heard the young prince start humming a tune to himself. He faced toward Canterlot, slightly turningthen his humming into a more audible singing tone. No sooner did he do this, a second voice could be heard coming from the castle as the moon made its way into the sky to take its place next to the constellation. Twilight had motioned her friends to come out, and stood in awe of what was taking place before her. Dawnstar's horn was now lit with a light blue color as his and Luna's voices mixed and danced together into the night. A holographic image of Princess Luna appeared in front of Dawnstar and both horns touched causing sparks to shoot towards Noble Heart's cutie mark constellation.

Twilight Sparkle could not believe what she was seeing in front of her, and neither could her friends. Rarity made her presence next to Twilight known, "Incredible, I've heard that the Song of The Night was a sight to behold, but to see it in person... and to know what it's really about." The lavender mare gave her friend a smile and turned her attention back to the mother and son finishing their song and sharing a hug together.

"It is amazing, to think that she loved him that much... Rarity, do you know where Roseluck lives?" The white mare seemed to be taken aback by the sudden question, but managed to keep her composure nonetheless.

"Why of course, Darling, I do business with her all the time. Her roses are simply to die for, yet why she's not bigger than what she is now is beyond me. I think its because she-"

"Just a simply yes would have worked. I've made a few observations, and ever since she first saw him a few years ago she's been coming over and asking about him. Now, if she were like the bunch that Dawn's been stuck with a few times then I wouldn't mind leaving her to herself; yet, Rose is the opposite."

Rarity sent a confused look to Twilight, "What do you mean by that, Twilight?" Twilight turned to her friend and continued with her explanation.

"Well, I believe that she doesn't want Dawnstar to think that she wants to be with him for the wrong reasons; she always keeps her distance from him and hardly ever initiates conversation with him. You could almost think she was Fluttershy in disguise when she's around him." this received a nod of agreement from the white seamstress, "Anyway, I would like you to send a message for me. Let her know that Dawnstar practices his fighting styles at first light by the pond near Sweet Apple Acres. If my hypothesis is correct, then she'll go and watch, but do nothing else."

A squeal of excitement came from Rarity as she turned around, "Of course, Darling, consider it done." Rarity then took off at a ladylike trot towards what Twilight thought Roseluck's house was. Her attention was soon focused on a golden stallion making his way towards her.

"Where's Rarity running off to in 'such a hurry'?" Twilight gave a small chuckle at Dawn's joke at Rarirty's trot.

"She had just remembered that she had a dress for a 'very important client' that had to be done and had to leave early, she should be back later. You ready to eat? I think Pinkie Pie has been dying to have you try some of her newest concoctions." A grumble from his stomach and a sheepish smile was her answer, causing her to give another giggle, "I'll take that as a yes; I'm buying so eat as much as you want." After speaking she gave him another hug and whispered in his ear, "He would be so proud of how you turned out like him."

Dawn returned the hug and replied back, "You sound so much like my mother, but thanks; it's nice to know that I'm living up to his name." After they broke the hug, Twilight turned and started walking towards the door to the baked goods shop. Dawnstar paused and looked back up at the now fully colored cutie mark of his father. The two hearts matching his and Luna's coats and the shield matching his fathers orange fur. With a small smile he turned his attention back to the small gathering inside of Sugarcube Corner.