• Published 1st Sep 2013
  • 3,311 Views, 80 Comments

Geoverse: An Unfamiliar World - GeodesicDragon



Twilight accidentally sends Fluttershy's adopted human son to a whole new world. How will he cope around the strange characters he meets?

  • ...
6
 80
 3,311

Reunion

CHAPTER FOUR

Reunion

A week passed, and Toby was still missing his family. At the same time, however, he had managed to adjust to the changes he was going through rather well — which was easy given how he got along so well with everyone.

Twilight, Luna and Celestia were spending as much time as they could poring over books and scrolls, looking for anything which might help us return Toby to his rightful home. The search so far had been fruitless, but they vowed to persevere.

Even Discord was trying to help, since he saw Toby's arrival as 'messing with the fabric of time and space' — which is apparently a very chaotic thing to do. So it's hardly a surprise that he was so keen to help. He was clearly jumping at the chance to be chaotic, yet maintain his reformed image at the same time.

Toby's days were often spent in the company of at least one of us. He spent some time with me during my weekly meetings with the gryphons. He had never met a gryphon before, so he was understandably timid around them, but he soon warmed up to them once he got past their extremely picky natures.

He also spent some time with Azure and Evening. It took some time, but I finally managed to explain to them that Toby wasn't an adult human like the ones they are used to. They were really excited at the prospect of spending time with a human child, playing as much as they could with him.

Twilight, Celestia, Luna and I all agreed that it wouldn't be fair to keep Toby in the castle at Canterlot, so we decided to send him to Ponyville. He spent a lot of time with Applejack, Dash, Rarity, Pinkie and – of course – Fluttershy, whom he regaled with tales of how the Fluttershy where he came from treated him like her own son.

Toby's visit to Ponyville also brought with it the expected meeting with a certain pair of fillies — who were going to harass him for being with the Crusaders until they spotted the Royal Guards nearby. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo then took great pleasure in telling the two that Toby was under royal protection. They told me later that, up until that moment, they'd never seen the two bullies run away so fast in all the time they'd known them.

All in all, Toby was fitting in very well with us — but we all knew that the time would come when he would have to return to the family he loved and the mother whom he cherished.

***

Two weeks had passed since Toby's arrival, and he was once again in Ponyville with the others. I was helping Twilight, Luna, Discord and Celestia with an experiment they were performing. Dusk Wind and Worthy cause had suggested searching the area where they found Toby for clues, so that's where we were.

The moment we arrived, a large grin spread across Discord's face and he chuckled. "Oh yes," he said. "I can feel the chaos of Toby's arrival still lingering in the air."

"Good," Twilight replied. "Now we just need to see if we can find any trace of the spell which sent him here." She lit her horn and began walking around the area. As she walked over a patch of grass, the light brightened. "Hmm..." she mused. "Interesting."

"What is it, Twi?" I asked. "Have you found something?"

"I'm picking up a faint magical aura," she replied. "And it's not one of ours. I believe it could belong to the other me."

Celestia and Luna joined her on the grass, lighting their own horns.

"I can feel it as well," Celestia said. "But what can we do?"

"Discord, get over here," Twilight said. "Use your powers to see if you can increase the power of this aura. If you can, then we might be able to open another portal. Or, at the very least, some way of communicating with the other versions of us."

Discord cracked his knuckles before removing them entirely and blowing on them. "Stand back, everypony," he chuckled. "Let the master work his magic."

***

In the Golden Oaks Library, a group of individuals sat in a circle around an empty patch of floor. Fluttershy looked around meekly at her friends, each of them offering a small smile in return. "What are you going to do, Twilight?" she asked.

"I'm going to see if I can open another portal," Twilight replied, a hint of determination in her voice. "Except this time I don't need to get ill to do it, since Discord is going to help me."

"Indeed I am," Discord added. "If messing with the fabric of time and space is the most chaotic thing I'm going to get to do this millennium, then so be it. Are you ready, Twilight?" Twilight nodded. "All right, everypony. Brace your—"

His words were cut off by a loud humming noise which filled the room along with a bright white light, which the six mares and Discord were quick to shield their eyes from.

"Did it work?" Discord's voice asked. "I can't tell."

"What?!" a perfect copy of Discord's voice said. "That wasn't me! Who's there? Show yourself!"

The light faded and everypony rubbed their eyes for a moment, before a gasp of shock entered their ears. They looked to the middle of the room — only to find themselves looking at another Discord. At his side stood another Princess Celestia, another Twilight Sparkle and another Princess Luna.

The new arrivals were surrounded by the familiar purple glow of Twilight's magical aura. The Discord in the library stood in front of his doppelgänger and grinned.

"Well well well," he said. "Aren't you a handsome fellow?"

"I could say the same for you!" the other Discord replied. "Tell me, are you by any chance looking for a young man named Toby?"

Fluttershy's eyes widened and she dashed to the portal, pushing Discord away from it. "You know where my baby boy is?!" she asked. "Please tell me that he's okay!"

Celestia raised a hoof. "Toby is fine, Fluttershy," she said gently. "You have nothing to worry about. In fact, he has faced this... rather unusual situation with admirable tenacity."

"Where is he?" Fluttershy demanded. "I have to see him!"

"He is in Ponyville at the moment," Luna replied. "We will send somepony to collect him post-haste. Discord, how long do you think this portal will remain open?"

The portal Discord reached out with a talon and tentatively brought it towards the shimmering orb of magic, only for the appendage to be knocked away by an unseen force. "I'm not sure," he said. "It would appear that I have no control over it. So it could be open for a few hours... or a few minutes."

"Time is of the essence then," Twilight said. "I'll take Geo to Ponyville and fetch Toby, while you three stay here and try to find some way of turning this into an actual portal we can send Toby through." she turned to leave, but the other Twilight stopped her.

"Wait a minute," she said. "Who's Geo?"

"I am," a voice said. Another human stepped into view, placing an arm around Twilight's shoulders and kissing her cheek. "I'm Twilight's husband, and you must be... well, Twilight."

***

The Twilight on the other side of the portal gasped. "Another human?!" she said, shocked. "Impossible!"

"You're forgetting that this Equestria is far different to the one you live in," I said with a laugh. "Of course things are going to be different here. But we'll hopefully have plenty of time to talk later. Right now we need to get Toby here so that he can speak to his family. He's going to love this — speaking to you all is all he's been thinking about for the last two weeks!"

With those words, Twilight and I left, she levitating me onto her back and flying as fast as she could towards Ponyville.

***

"Say, Twi, wouldn't it have been quicker to get the train?" I asked her as we landed. "Or you could have just teleported, which would have been even quicker."

"I made use of wind currents to get us here faster than the train," she replied. "In fact, if we'd got the train instead, we'd be pulling into the station right about... now." A loud whistle pierced the air as she finished talking and she grinned smugly. "But I will be teleporting us all back to Canterlot, that much is certain."

"All right," I said. "Now where do you suppose Toby is?" I put a hand to my chin in thought. "Let's try the park. And if he's not there, we'll try the Carousel Boutique."

Twilight nodded and we both started walking, only to stop when we heard the sounds of clattering metal and rapidly approaching hoofsteps. Turning around, we saw a squad of Royal Guards coming towards us, led by none other than Dusk Wind. I held out my hand and the group stopped and saluted.

"Hey, Dusk," I chuckled. "Where's the fire?"

"Toby is at the library," he replied, pointing towards the building in question. "Princess Celestia sent a message to Spike asking that he brought Toby there. So he did, and now they're waiting for you."

"Lead the way, Sergeant," I ordered. Dusk laughed in response and pointed at his silver armour. "Oh, you got promoted?" He nodded. "Sorry, Dusk, I didn't even notice. Congratulations! Anyway, let me rephrase that." I cleared my throat. "Lead the way, Lieutenant."

Dusk grinned and started cantering towards the library with his squad close behind. Twilight and I were bringing up the rear, returning the many greetings we were getting from the townsponies with naught but a wave and a smile.

We arrived at the library and the guards stood outside while Dusk opened the door and went in. I could hear Toby's voice, as well as those of Spike and the Crusaders, wondering what was going on. The chatter stopped as we went inside.

"Prince Geo?" Toby asked. "Princess Twilight? W-what's going on?"

"There's no time to explain, Toby," Twilight replied. "You need to come with us back to Canterlot immediately. We've managed to open a portal back to where you came from, but nothing can go through it just now. We also have no idea how long it will be open for. But your family is on the other side, and they want to—"

She was cut off by Toby attaching himself to her neck. "We have to hurry!" he said. "I want to talk to my momma and aunties before that portal closes! Please, Princess Twilight, take me to them!"

"All right," she soothed. "We're going to teleport back. Hold on tight, okay?" Toby nodded and she trotted over to me. I took a hold of one of her forehooves and nodded as well. "Brace yourselves."

One flash of light later, and we were gone.

***

Twilight and I reappeared with Toby in front of the others. Through the portal, I could see that Fluttershy had been joined by the rest of her friends. I could even see Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, who were both smiling sweetly. I shuddered and walked over.

"I hope they get back soon," Discord groaned. "I don't know how much longer I can hold this open."

"I know, right?" the other Discord lamented. "Here we are, using all our energy to keep this open, and the guest of honour is nowhere to be found!"

"Right here, guys," I said. "Now, before we bring Toby here I want to get something straight. We need to come up with ways of differentiating between the two versions of everypony. Tell me, do you girls have any nicknames?"

"Um, no," portal Fluttershy replied, to which I smiled. "I'm guessing your versions of us do?"

"They do indeed," I chuckled. "So we'll refer to you by your proper names, but we'll refer to our versions by their nicknames. So that'll be Twi, AJ, Rares, Dash, Pinks, Shy and Dizzy."

"Dizzy?" our Discord asked. "I'm not sure what to make of that. In fact, I wasn't even aware of the fact that was my nickname."

"I call you that because that's how you made me feel when you turned me into a woman," I snapped. "Anyway, enough messing around. Toby! Here's your family!"

Detaching himself from Twilight's neck, Toby ran over to the portal. As soon as he and Fluttershy saw each other they both began crying profusely. They tried to hug each other, but the portal stopped them from doing so. Instead, they opted for laying a hand and a forehoof on it, as if they were holding each other.

"It's so good to see you, sweetie," Fluttershy simpered. "Have they been treating you nicely?"

"Yes, momma, they have," Toby replied. "I'm so sorry that this has happened. I didn't mean to make you worry. Can you forgive me?"

"What?!" Twilight said. "If anypony has to apologise, Toby, it's me! I'm the one who sent you here to begin with, and for that I am truly sorry. I'm the one who should be seeking forgiveness, not you. So... can you forgive me?"

"Of course I can, auntie Twilight," Toby giggled. "It was an accident after all. Anyway, I've been having lots of fun here with the new versions of my old friends."

Silver Spoon came over to the portal and laid a forehoof on it like Fluttershy was doing. Toby placed his other hand on it and the two looked into each other's eyes.

"I've missed you, sweetie-pie," Silver Spoon said. "Please tell me that the other version of me hasn't tried stealing you."

"Um... no, she hasn't," Toby sighed. "In fact, she and the other version of Diamond Tiara are still as mean now as you both were when we first met." Silver Spoon looked downtrodden. "But don't worry, once they found out I was a guest of the Prince and Princess, they didn't do anything to upset me."

"That Equestria has a Prince?" Diamond Tiara asked as she too approached the portal. "Where is he?" Toby turned around and pointed at me. Both fillies looked stunned. "Another human? Wait... two humans?! How is that even possible?"

"It's a long story," Toby said. "But I can tell you that Geo is married to Twilight – er, I mean, Twi – and John is married to AJ. Geo and Twi also have two foals, and AJ is pregnant."

There was a collective 'aaaawwwwwwww' from Fluttershy and the others on her side. They all talked excitedly for a moment about having some of their own — just as a humming noise filled the air.

"The portal is closing!" Dizzy yelled. "I can't hold it! Toby, you must move away from it, now!"

Toby and Fluttershy shared a crestfallen look with each other as he backed away. Toby blew two kisses – one to Silver Spoon and the other to Fluttershy, who returned them eagerly – just as the humming grew louder.

"Promise me you'll find a way to open this again!" Fluttershy shouted. "And take care of my baby boy!"

"We will!" Twi shouted back. "You have my word that you will have Toby back where he belongs soon!"

Dizzy's concentration faltered and he slumped over. The humming grew into a high-pitched whine before going silent. A few seconds later, the portal closed with a quiet pop, Fluttershy's despairing face being the last thing any of us saw.

Author's Note:

What, you actually thought Toby was going home? HA! :trollestia: We're still not done yet, people!

But hey, at least he got to speak to his family again!