• Published 3rd Jan 2014
  • 4,130 Views, 342 Comments

For Her Mistakes - Onomonopia

  • ...
12
 342
 4,130

The Final Lesson

Trixie and Sombra looked down in disbelief at the gold armor that Morgaine had summoned for them, feeling their already powerful magic enhanced by the armor. Daragon snarled, but kept a safe distance from the three, feeling their power with worry.

"And now, the fool shows fear," Morgaine said with a masked smile as she clapped her hands together, sending out a crimson wave of energy that forced Daragon to dig his claws into the ground to prevent himself from being blown away. "It just shows, those who believe they have power only cower in the face of real power. Trixie! Sombra! Finish him!" Sombra and Trixie looked at each other with a smile before they both combined their magic together, sending an azure beam of darkness into the demon's chest, sending him skidding back until he collided with a wall, the magic pinning him to it as he roared in pain.

"HA! I haven't felt this powerful since...well, since I first cast a spell," Sombra said with a laugh as he and Trixie both kept the pressure on the demon, blasting him through the wall and into the castle's main hall. Sombra, Morgaine and Trixie all leapt into the room, where the demon was getting up with a snarl.

"So then demon, what do you plan to do now?" she asked the demon, which lowered its head for a moment before letting out a shriek to the sky that forced all three of them to cover their ears. Daragon then began to glow with an un-earthly power as, to the group's horror, it began to suck in all the light from around the room. Candles extinguished themselves, lanterns burst with magic and darkness slowly crept into the room until the three of the them could only see the white demon in front of them.

"How did he do that?" Sombra asked before the demon vanished in a flash, appearing behind him to swat him across the floor and into a pillar, where he collapsed to the ground. Trixie suffered the same fate as the demon slammed its claws into her side, sending her skidding across the floor.

"HOW DARE YOU TOUCH HER!" Morgaine yelled in full fury as she placed her hands on the ground, causing giant stone soldiers to rise out of the floor and attack the demon. But Daragon simply vanished again, causing the stone giants to stop as they looked around in confusion. Two streaks of light flashed out in the darkness and all of the giants fell to the ground in pieces, Morgaine cursing as she spun around to catch the demon's claw in her magic. "I am the strongest magical force in my world! What can you do to me that I cannot counter?" Daragon's answer was to burst apart in a flash of light that blinded Morgaine before another flash sent her into a wall, where she struggled to avoid collapsing. Daragon let out a shriek and ran towards her as Trixie struggled to get up, watching the whole thing happen.

"No..." she whispered while she struggled to use her magic, only to feel it fail her right as Daragon got to Morgaine and reached out its claw to grab her. Then there was another flash of light, but this one was not caused by Daragon as he backed away, holding his stump of an arm in pain. Trixie blinked twice to see Armora standing in front of Morgaine, trident held out in an offensive position. "Armora?" Trixie asked weakly. Daragon roared and tried to charge again, but there was a howl and Bark landed on its back, digging his claws into Daragon's spine as the demon shrieked in pain.

"Oh yeah, this smells like the ultimate demon," Bark grunted as the creature shook him off its back, landing on his back as the demon turned to face him. "Ugh, I don't need to see you to tell you're an ugly one." The demon roared and started to attack him, but this time it was the voice of a small colt that stopped the attack.

"Blit O Rate Er!" The small voice blasted Daragon across the hall, smashing him through a number of pillars as he brought down a wall on the other side of the room, falling back outside. Trixie struggled to her hooves as Starshine ran over to her, helping her up as Bark aided Morgaine and Armora assisted Sombra. "Sorry we're a bit late Trixie, the silver mare just wouldn't leave me alone." Trixie looked to Starshine's side to see the silver mare, who was flickering more than she remembered her doing.

"How's Batmare?" Trixie asked, trying to block out the pain.

'Batman aides her in her plight, but they will not hold forever,' the silver mare responded as she turned to see the demon getting back up. 'I will aide you with Daragon, but then I must go to help them. There is not much time left.'

"Not much time 'til what?" Trixie asked as Daragon got back up, letting out a shriek as his wings unfolded once again, and he flew back to the top of the castle. The silver mare wasted no time in teleporting the group up to the top as well, where they found the demon by the portal, making it grow larger.

'He has not yet begun to unleash the demons that are held within that rift,' the silver mare explained as she fired a beam of silver energy into the demon, knocking it over but only angering it further. 'If it opens the rift all the way, then it will not matter if we stop them or not. It will be the end of everything.'

"So what do we do?" Morgaine asked as all eyes turned to the silver mare.

'You must seal the demons back up in order to stop them,' she said as she turned towards Sombra. 'And he knows how to do it.' Sombra bit his lip and looked away, but Trixie looked from the demon to him with worry.

"The rest of you need to keep Daragon from making that portal any bigger," she ordered, watching as the others nodded and re-engaged the demon, which snarled in rage as they did their combined best to keep it at bay. She then looked towards Sombra with pleading eyes, gently placing her hoof under his chin and moved his head so he looked into her eyes. "Sombra, what needs to be done?" He looked away again, but still spoke.

"The crystals that you have can be used to cast the spell that can seal away the demons," he said with sorrow in his voice. "By saying Pohe Fo Le Circ, you will gain the power needed to seal them away, whereupon saying the words Urn Ret Ot Lleh, you will imprison them forever, but only if both demons go into the portal together. But whoever casts the sealing spell...is doomed to die and their spirit is to be trapped in the realm of the demons forever. When I did it the first time, I was immortal. But now..."

"Now, it is our only chance," Trixie said in a bitter tone as she looked down at the crystals around her neck, knowing what had to be done, never noticing Morgaine listening to them. She placed her hoof on the crystals, but Sombra placed his over hers.

"Let me be the one to do it," he said as she tried to take them from her. "You still have a life to lead. You still have to show this world that you aren't the pony they think you are. I'm...I've already failed them as both a pony and a ruler, but there is still hope for you. Let me do it."

"And what of Gloria?" Trixie asked as she took the gems back. "If your soul gets imprisoned in the demon's realm, then you will never be reunited with her. She needs you Sombra."

"And they need you!" Sombra roared back as he pointed to the group, who were desperately fighting. "They need you as well, especially Starshine. So please, let--" Sombra was blasted across the rooftops as a swarm of white magic consumed him, Trixie crying out as he landed on the ground motionless below the castle.

'He still lives,' the silver mare said as she appeared beside Trixie. 'But the time is near. Did he tell you how to stop it?'

"Yes...but I'm going to need to talk to Batmare," Trixie said as she hardened her eyes and did her best not to look at her friends, while the silver mare created a mental link with Batmare. "Batmare, can you hear me?"

'What the...Trixie, is that you?' Batmare asked inside Trixie's mind.

"Yes, and we don't have much time. Morgaine has figured out that the twin demons plan to open the portal she wished to open and unleash their forces upon the land. I have a spell that can stop it, but it will take time to do so. But when it activates, you have to get Azarock into the light that will be cast," Trixie said, not liking the silence that followed.

'...What's the catch Trixie, I can hear the hesitation in your voice,' Batmare replied. Trixie chuckled at how clever she had become and smiled a bit.

"The catch is that this spell will stop the demons, but at the cost of the user's life," Trixie said with sorrow in her voice.

'Then don't do it!' Batmare yelled before the sounds of her getting attacked rang through Trixie's mind. Trixie looked over at her friends to see that they were barely holding their own as well.

"Batmare, we are both losing this fight badly, even with our parents helping us out," Trixie reminded her as Morgaine did her best to protect the others with her barrier, only to be knocked out of the way and closer to Trixie. "And it won't stop with us. If we do not send them back now, their armies will swarm upon the land and consume everything, with no chance of stopping them. This could be our only chance." Trixie waited in silence for a moment before Batmare whispered,

'Do it.' Trixie felt the connection end, so with a heavy heart she placed the crystals at her hooves, closing her eyes as she began to summon forth the magical power to create this spell. "Pohe Fo Le Circ!" she cried, screaming in pain as she felt the magical power consume her, a circle of the most radiant magic appearing at her hooves as she cried. The circle was filled with the Cutie Marks of the Elements of Harmony, which flooded her with enough power to keep the spell going. The silver mare lifted her head and vanished without a word, leaving Trixie alone to cast the spell.

'I never thought that I would go like this,' she thought to herself as she closed her eyes to focus on the spell the best she could. 'I always thought that an angry mob would get the better of me. But it's this, creating the ultimate spell that will damn my soul in order to stop the evils of the twin demons...a better death than I deserved.' Then she opened her eyes again and saw her closest friends fighting against the demon with all their might, but still fighting a losing battle.

'Even though you cannot hear me Armora, I want to thank you for being a loyal friend through your actions instead of your words,' Trixie thought as the Changeling did everything she could to avoid being crushed. 'You were always the first to defend us and the last to leave the battle until we were all safe. I could never thank you for what you have done.'

'And Bark, you helped us to mend more wounds than the one. Seeing more with your mind than I could with my eyes, and helping me to see what was inside instead of what was on the outside. I hope that Starshine can learn much more from you in the years to come.' Then she looked behind her at Sombra, who was struggling to just move. She could see his eyes and they were filled with fear at what was happening.

'And you Sombra...oh where to start?' she thought with a smirk. 'You have to be hardest pony to get along with, and that's when you're not being a total jerk. But over time...you became one of the most reliable allies that I could have hoped to have with me on my journey...when you weren't being a jerk. I leave Starshine in your care. Please take care of him as I would have.' Trixie looked forward to the battle as the circle glowed under her hooves, telling her that it was ready. But before she could cast it, Morgaine was sent flying over towards Trixie, where she managed to catch herself before hitting the ground.

"Trixie?" Morgaine asked with confusion as she looked at the circle under her hooves, to Sombra who was still trying to get up. "What is this? Is this the spell that can stop the demons?" Trixie looked away from Morgaine as tears began to fall from her eyes, before she looked up at Morgaine with a smile.

"I almost...never got to say goodbye to you," Trixie said as the tears continued to fall. "And to say that...I'm so sorry."

"For what?" Morgaine asked in confusion, looking over to see Daragon still fighting the other three. Armora was doing her best to keep the demon from getting close to Starshine, while Bark had a death bite on the demon's neck and was not letting go, despite being shaken back and forth.

"For betraying you and almost getting you killed," Trixie wept as she struggled to keep her magic going. "You took me in, you trained me to be as skilled a magician as you and...you gave me love, love that I have never felt before. And I stabbed you in the back when you were at your weakest. I'm...so sorry." Morgaine's look softened as she knelt down next to Trixie, gently placing her hand on the side of Trixie's head to wipe away her tears.

"It is I who should be apologizing for failing you, not the other way around," Morgaine said sympathetically as she removed her mask, letting Trixie look into her eyes as she spoke. "At first I thought of you as nothing more than a means to an ends, hoping to use your hatred of Twilight to destroy her. But the more time I spent with you, the more I began to feel like the mother that I once was so long ago. I used you as a weapon, instead of caring for you like I should have. I should be the one saying that I am sorry, not you."

"But you changed me!" Trixie said with emotion. "You showed me how to become a stronger spellcaster, how to deal with defeat! Without you--"

"Would not be the most hated pony in Equestria," Morgaine said to cut her off, shaking her head as tears of her own began to fall. "I lost my son some years ago because he decided that he wanted to rule over the world. When he died in the battle with the heroes of good, I vowed that I would honor his final wish and claim a world for him. But when I failed and my luck brought me here, I vowed to let nothing get in my way...except, you did."

"W-what do you mean?" Trixie asked as Morgaine placed her hand once again on Trixie's face.

"You helped me to see the good side of things again, what it mean to be a parent," Morgaine said with tears in her eyes. "When you shot through my shield and stopped my plan, I was broken hearted. But in the moment before I was consumed by the magic, I knew that it was not you that had failed me, but that I had failed you. You were...are the closest thing to a daughter I have ever had, and I tried to turn you into a rage-filled killer. I may not be the most clean of souls...but I should have been at least able to be a true mother to you."

"But you were!" Trixie said as she wrapped her hooves around Morgaine's neck. "You were the closest thing to a mother I've ever had, even more so than my actual one. You gave me love...you gave me a family that didn't hate me." Morgaine returned the hug before standing up again, looking down at Trixie with pride.

"You truly are the greatest daughter and student that I have ever had," she said with a smile as she offered Trixie her hand. "And one day you will surpass me as a magician." Trixie smiled at the nice thought as she grabbed her mother's hand...and immediately felt electricity course throughout her body, knocking her over out of the circle.

"W...what are you?" Trixie choked out as Morgaine levitated Sombra over to them before she herself stepped into the spell circle. She looked to Sombra with an approving nod before smiling at Trixie again.

"You may be my greatest student, but it is the job of every teacher to have their student some day surpass them," Morgaine said as she continued the spell. "And you have not surpassed me yet. Therefore, you cannot be allowed to die until you have." Trixie's eyes widened as she realized what Morgaine was going to do and she struggled with all her might to get back up.

"N-no. You can't," she begged as her tears continued to fall.

"Take care of her," Morgaine said to Sombra before flinging her arms out, increasing the power of the spell. "Batmare, this is Morgaine, can you hear me?"

'The hell do you want?' she snarled in reply.

"The spell is ready. Can you get Azarock to step into the light?" she asked as she looked down at Trixie one last time, giving her the loving smile that a mother gave her child...before she looked back at the demon and roared, "Urn Ret Ot Lleh!" Morgaine exploded into a giant golden light that hurled towards Daragon, flinging him like he was nothing as it flew into the portal, causing a giant pillar of light to shoot out of the top of the castle, consuming anything that got close to it. Armora and the others managed to get clear in time, while Trixie looked at the portal with despair.

"No...no..." she whispered to herself, falling to the ground. Sombra looked from her to their friends running over to the demon that was getting back up, knowing what had to be done.

"Trixie. I know that you are upset right now, but we cannot let her sacrifice be in vain!" Sombra roared at her, grabbing her arm and forcing her back up. "She gave her very soul to give us a chance to beat these demons, to keep them from taking our world. You can't just let all of that go to waste. We have to fight!" Trixie looked into his eyes to see the fierce fires that were in every word that he spoke, before looking to the others, each of whom had those flames within them as well. Then she looked down to see her mother's mask laying at her hooves, a mask that she scooped up into her hooves with a look of sorrow before she glared up at the demon.

"Then let us show this demon what happens when it messes with the most dangerous outlaws in Equestria," she said with fury as she placed the mask over her face, feeling as it morphed around her skull to fit her perfectly. She then let out a scream filled with bloodlust as she charged at the demon, her family following suit as each of them engaged the demon in their own way. Trixie sent a hell of fire blazing towards the demon while Sombra rained down sharpened bones that would cower the bravest of ponies. Armora hurled the trident for all she was worth into the beast's face, while Bark slashed boulders out of the ground to hurl at the demon. And Starshine brought himself to the edge of exhaustion with each spell he used, each of which pushed the demon further and further back.

'So this is where your journey has brought you,' a voice that Trixie knew well spoke in her mind as she fired more magic at the demon. 'Even though you are hated throughout all of Equestria, you still choose to fight for the ponies that have shown nothing but hatred towards you. Why?'

"Because it is who I am!" she roared as she sent a tsunami of water into Daragon. "I care not what they think of me, but I will not allow what has happened to me to happen to another. I will give all I have to make sure that they can live a life free of pain and misery, a life that I have only known!"

'And you found this out without my help or that of anypony else? I am impressed.'

"You're wrong. My friends and my new family are the ones who helped me become the pony I am today!" she yelled as she and Sombra combined their magic to supercharge Armora's trident, blasting a hole in the center of Dagaron with its power. Her body screamed in pain as she went beyond her magical limit, but she ignored it. "And though I am strong by myself, only with them am I at my strongest! They are my strength."

Both Trixie and the demon could feel the portal pulling on them, wanting to suck both of them in. Trixie knew that now was the time to finish it, to stop the demon once and for all.

Daragon held onto the ground with all of its strength, doing its best not to be sucked in. Trixie took that moment to charge her body with as much magical power as she could before throwing herself towards it, ramming into its gut and ripping its claw out of the ground, sending them both flying into the portal together.

"FALL!"

Trixie felt the last of her strength leave her with that blow, and it was all she could do to remain awake as both of them were sucked into the portal. Through the spiraling of the white energy, she could see a black demon swirling around inside of the portal as well, telling her that Batmare had managed to stop her own demon.

'So then, the two of us did it,' she thought to herself as she felt the magic of the portal swirling around her. 'I don't know how much longer I could have fought.' Trixie allowed herself to let a smile out, a smile that she had saved for the day she had made up for her mistakes. 'I finally did it.' And then everything went white.

===---T---===

Both of Trixie's eyes opened and she shot to her hooves, her horn crackling with power as she glared at the white demon in front of her. Then, to her surprise, it walked over to he black demon and placed a claw on its shoulder, causing both of them to begin to merge.

"The hell do you think your doing?" Trixie turned her head to see Batmare reaching for a batarang, only to realize she was out.

"They are fusing with each other, meaning that they are preparing to kill us."Trixie said, watching as Batmare turned her head to the side as Trixie teleported beside her, noticing that one of Batmare's eyes was burned. "These two are normally enemies, but they work together only as a last resort. And since the two of us along with our families pushed them back into their dimension..."

"They will use every trick they have," Batmare said as she took up a fighting stance. The area all around them was silver, a similar silver to the silver mare, but Trixie couldn't focus on that for long as the demon roared and opened two holes in reality, one behind the ponies that led back to Equestria and another that led to the depths of Tartarus. "And we have to stop them, don't we?" Batmare asked

"We do, although I find it odd," Trixie said with a smile. "Nearly ten years ago, you and I were on opposite sides of the line, and now we are working together to defeat a final foe. It amuses me."

"We may have been physically on the opposite side of the line, but your heart wasn't there," Batmare reminded her as the black and white demon began to advance. "You saved us then, and you'll save us now."

"That's what a lot of creatures have been saying to me lately," Trixie said with a smile before she unleashed her full power into the beast, sending a symphony of magical power into its chest, sending it skidding backwards. A cyclone of fire and stone materialized from her horn and lifted the demon into the air, but with a roar it blew apart the cyclone and hurled itself at the two. Batmare responded with a grapnel to the chest that had electricity coursing through the cables, sending volts through the demon. But the creature barely felt the effects and teleported behind both the ponies, grabbing them by their necks and lifting them up. It prepared to snap their necks before a blast of silver tossed the demon to the ground and freed the two mares.

"Thanks for the save," Trixie heared Batmare say to the silver mare, who had appeared beside them. "But what do we do against that thing? We could barely handle the demons separately, but how can we beat them together?"

"See the two portals?" Trixie asked Batmare, who had to look behind her to see a portal that showed Canterlot. She then looked forward at another portal that showed a land of fire. "The one behind the demon is Tartarus, and we have to get them in there. But it's going to be difficult."

"Trixie, we've fought creatures that Equestria didn't even know existed," Batmare said with a smile. "I think we can handle this." The twin demons roared and charged towards Batmare and Trixie, the latter unleashing her power once again into the demons. The magic wasn't enough to hurt the creature, but it was enough to slow it down. Trixie growled as Batmare began to throw whatever she had in her belt at the thing until it ran empty. Trixie looked over at Batmare with a frown until an idea came to her.

"Batmare, do you still have that anti-rang that you used?" she asked.

"Yeah?" Batmare asked before looking at the demon made almost entirely of magic. "Yeah, I do." Batmare reached into her belt and pulled out the last batarang, aiming it right at the center of the creature's head. "Fall." She threw the batarang with all her might, watching as the gift from her father flew on a true arc that nailed the demon in the center of its head, breaking through all of its magical shielding and causing it to roar in pain, giving Trixie the chance she needed to push the demon into the other portal. Both of them watched as the demon was sucked into the portal, roaring one last time before the portal closed. Trixie and Batmare both collapsed to the ground exhausted, each trying to ignore the pain.

"So, what happens now?" Batmare asked Trixie.

"Now, this dimension collapses and takes everything inside with it," she responded with a sigh.

"So, this is it?"

"Yep, this is it."

"At least we died knowing we won," Batmare said as she closed her eyes.

"Yeah, at least we did," Trixie responded as everything went white.

TTTTTT

The twin demon roared as it landed in the land that was Tarturus, snarling as it got back up and turned towards the portal that was closing behind it. It roared and ran forward as fast as it could, until a blast of magic knocked it over.

"Never again," a voice said as the demon got up, looking up to see a ghostly women in a green robe with golden armor standing over them. "You will never leave here again." And then she unleashed her magic.