• Published 21st Aug 2013
  • 1,696 Views, 122 Comments

The Adventures of the Cutie Mark Crusaders - Fillies on a Mission! - Wolfie 03



The Cutie Mark Crusaders are on a mission of great importance, finding their cutie mark while saving the world from a danger that lurks in the shadows! Easy peasy, how hard could that be?

  • ...
2
 122
 1,696

Chapter 12 Learning Martial Arts and being in balance with oneself

The next morning all three Crusaders woke up sore but exited; it was the first day of training. Since they didn't want to wear themselves out before getting any training done they tried to remain as calm and relax on the train trip there; once they arrived however, they couldn't help but race to Miyagi's house.



As they assembled in front of the martial arts teacher in the front of the main entrance, he gave each a stern look while they panted lightly from their sprint.

“You have come to me to learn the ancient art of Kung Fu. You will do everything I tell you to do and I will teach you Kung Fu in return. Promise?” Miyagi asked the fillies with one brow raised to see if they are willing to do anything asked of them.

“Pinkie Promise! Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!” The fillies almost shouted the promise as they did the motions making Miyagi amused and bemused.

“What is 'Pinkie Promise'?” The old stallion looked to his young students who smiled back once they were done making the motions.

“It's a very big promise back home in Ponyville.” Sweetie Belle explained as her two friends nodded solemnly along. Miyagi nodded slowly and he turned around and began to lead the girls into their first day of training.

They walked around the outside of the house to the backyard where the girls took in the sight before them; the first acre was the backyard with most of the other four being lightly covered with trees and bushes. Surrounding the whole plot of land was a fence that was half a stallion's height taller than a grown pony; the garden was a little overgrown and the house was a little run down. While it was a little odd to the fillies, they weren't going to question it and tried not to jump in place.

The old stallion walked over to the fence where there were three buckets and paint brushes which caused even more confusion to the girls. As the four ponies stood over the buckets, the girls noticed that they were filled with white paint.



“So ah, what are we gonnah do now?” Apple Bloom looked up at the stallion to find that he pulled over a step ladder to where they stood.

“You are to paint the fence. Scootaloo, you are to stand on this ladder and paint the top. Sweetie Belle, you are to stand on your hind legs and paint the middle. Apple Bloom, you are to paint the bottom portion.” As the older pony turned away, the trio stared after him in confusion and shock.

“Wait, that's it?! Paint the fence?!” Scootaloo cried after the retreating figure who only reaffirmed it with a nod. The girls shared one look before sighing and getting to work.



They spent most of the morning painting the entire fence line, with each uncomfortable with their position and none able to think of why that it was so. Scootaloo had a hard time looking down from the step ladder; Sweetie Belle tittered between having trouble balancing and working in between her two friends, while Apple Bloom had trouble with holding the brush and switched between using her mouth and using her hooves.

In the midst of painting Miyagi came back out to check their progress and saw how they were going a little overboard in their swipes and brush strokes.

“No no no no. Go up, then down, up and down, up and down.” He demonstrated for a moment, using both fore-hooves to hold the brush as he went straight up then downwards in a clean stroke.

The girls groaned at this instruction since they figured they could get more done if they went a little nuts with it, but simply followed the older stallion's instructions; making it take much longer than it would have before.


After four long hours of work the girls went to the back door leading to the kitchen where they found the stallion sitting at the table and sipping tea.

“We're... done...” Sweetie Belle panted as she and her two friends stood in the doorway.

Miyagi nodded to them and waved a hoof to the table, where the girls noticed three places prepared for lunch time. The girls half-dragged themselves over to the seats and dug into their meal. The older pony only watched as they ate with barely any table manners and once a good portion of the food had been consumed, he set down his cup of tea to ask his question.

“Did you do the outside?”

The girls paused in shock; there was more painting to do? After sharing a look to see if they could escape their fate, they simply sighed as one and shook their heads no.

“Once done, do outside like you did inside. Work together and use those brush strokes.” Miyagi picked up his tea once more and watched the girls take more time to finish their meal; which wasn't easy to do since they had already consumed most of it before the old teacher had asked his question.


Once the girls were done, they followed the old stallion back outside and around the corner where more paint cans sat in front of a long line of fence. As one the girls sighed and hung their heads before getting the ladder to reach the top parts and starting on their newest task.



By the time the girls finished the fence, it was extremely late in the day and they were exhausted from the specific way they had to paint the fence. Miyagi came out just as they were finishing the work and gave them a small smile at the job done properly.



“Good, good. Good work girls, come back tomorrow.” With this simple statement, Miyagi left the girls three paper bags full of supper for the fillies to eat on the train ride back.

“Do ya think that we're gonnah do this every day?” Apple Bloom looked to the other Crusaders as she stepped up to the bags.

“I don't know; I don't see what this kind of thing has to do with Martial Arts...” Scootaloo crouched lower to the ground after having spent so much time in the air on a ladder.

“Maybe he has a secret plan to teach us Kung Fu?” Sweetie Belle grabbed one of the bags and led the way out of the house, with the others following along after giving shrugs of ignorance.




After taking the supper in bags the Crusaders waited at the way station for a few minutes before catching a late train ride home. By the time they got back to the Clubhouse it was once again 10pm at night; they had a few more days they could use the excuse of 'Survivalists' for why nopony sees them during the day time and weren't worried about anypony missing them just yet.


The next day they arrived bright and early at their teacher's house; Miyagi was waiting outside his doorway for them with three sets of cleaning tools next to him.

“Today, you work on things alone, to build balance in yourself. Apple Bloom, you are to clean all floors inside with these rags, use back hooves to clean and front hooves to wipe. Sweetie Belle, you are to wash all windows, use this brush and wipe while staying upright, when done you are join Apple Bloom in cleaning floors but only use front hooves. Scootaloo, you are to patch roof and paint all of it, use half circles with brush. When done, come join me for lunch.” After pointing to each cleaning tool, the older stallion went inside once more as all three fillies sighed and nodded slowly.



Each filly went to work on their task, more bored than they were the day before since they weren't working together. Within the first few hours of work, each filly grew more and more frustrated at lack of training; though what made it all the more worse was that each girl actually had a hard time with the task.

Apple Bloom found that leaning forward and using both front and back hooves to wash the floor felt more balanced but different than how she usually stood. It used more muscles and while it felt more natural for whatever reason, she didn't usually balance on her front hooves so it exhausted her all the more for it. It also meant that she had to go backwards, and she didn't have as much experience finding her way in that position.

Sweetie Belle found that standing on her back hooves to be as hard as all four hooves, and while she did have a bit more balance than she used to, it was still hard. Another difficult thing was using her hooves to hold the brush and wipe, she tried to use some magic to help but couldn't hold anything in her power. This only helped to build her frustration and make everything all the more worse. It was a little easier to wash the floors, though it was a different kind of balance than just standing upright.

Scootaloo had the hardest time, being on the roof and high in the air. As much as she wanted to fly, being this high off the ground was making her nervous. She tried not to look down as she patched up the roof and repainted it all. She used a mixture of hooves and her mouth to hold the tools, and had a thorough workout during her task, tiring as it was.


The girls finished their tasks after a few hours and joined their teacher at the table. Another lunch was laid out for them while the gray stallion sipped more tea. The meal was spent in silence as each filly thought about how they hadn't seen one instance of martial arts teaching so far.

As they were finishing up, they looked to the older pony to find out what they were to do next.


“If you are finished, there is more for you to do. Scootaloo, you are to trim trees. Sweetie Belle, you are to mow the lawn. Apple Bloom, you are to sand the walkways outside.” Miyagi pointed a hoof outside where the girls looked on what seemed like endless tress, grass and a new pathway made out wood that wound its way through all five acres of land.

All three Crusaders wore frowns as they looked at all the work they were now expected to do and felt the need to riot.

“Why are we just doing all your house work?! We came to learn Martial Arts, not earn our House Care Cutie Marks!” Scootaloo cried as she sat up farther as she looked back at the older pony.

“Yeah! What does any of that have to do with Martial Arts anyways?” Sweetie Belle asked as she sat up straighter with confused look on her face.

“Yeah, if'in Ah wanted tah do chores, Ah'd have stayed home.” Apple Bloom folded her hooves as she half-glared at their 'teacher'.



Miyagi looked calmly at the Crusaders before standing up and beckoning the girls to follow him outside. They followed with skeptic faces and once outside, the older pony had them all sit in a circle. The gray stallion made sure he had their complete attention before starting his lecture.


“Martial Arts is in everything. How one cleans, how one cooks, how one walks, how one lives, how one grows. I try and show you best way for YOU. Each is different, and must be taught different. Tomorrow, we start different style, but need to do one last thing to show differences in you from each other before we do different kind of training. Think about what is it you may have to learn as you do these things. Go now, and I will speak to you at the end.” Miyagi stood from the circle and left the girls to their thoughts as he put the needed tools in the doorway where the girls would find them easily.




In a slight daze the trio picked up their tools and got to work on their tasks, trying to think of how it would reveal what they needed to learn and work on.

Each filly found their second tasks of the day to be just as hard as their first ones and for much the same reasons. By the time everything was done they were exhausted beyond what they were used to and could barely stand when they finally finished. Miyagi stood by his door with three more paper bags and a smile for the hardworking fillies.

“You have done well. Go home and rest, tomorrow, we start real work.” His smile grew even larger as all three crusaders groaned at the sound of even harder work.




They got home even later than the first night and fell asleep right away. They barely had the energy to get up early the next morning but managed to do so, the thought of actual training helping them get up.





Once again, the older stallion was waiting for the girls outside of his home and led them to the backyard where they sat in another circle. They were already more alert because of the change in start, and looked at the gray pony in excitement.

“Today, we are going to do training according to what you need to learn.” Miyagi looked at each of them and tried to think of how to phrase his next sentence.

“But first we must talk. I have watched and I know what troubles you, these are things that I must speak with each of you about before any progress can be made. You must decide, do you want to share these fears with the others or do you wish to overcome them on your own?” At this the girls shared confused looks; they didn't understand what they would fear and why they would want to not share with the others who could help them get past it.



As one the trio turned to their teacher and stated “share.”

Miyagi nodded, he had hoped they would want to share since it would make them a better team and help them get over their fears faster than on their own.



“Scootaloo, you fear falling. While you do want to fly, you are afraid of falling down. Your balance is much like any other pegasi's, in the center of your body where your wings are but you cannot manage to lift yourself from the ground due to your fear.

“Apple Bloom, you fear being different than your friends. You are of an old farming family, generations of Apple Buckers have made your body naturally want to balance more forward and while you are just as skilled at using your fore-hooves and mouth to do things, most of what you will do will be with your hind legs.

“Sweetie Belle, you fear failure. You are influenced by many talented unicorns in your town and you feel that you cannot keep up with them; but in an attempt to do as much if not more magic you are forcing it to not work, making everything all that much harder. Your balance is like most other unicorn's; a little lower than your center since you would normally use magic for a lot of tasks, allowing you to use your front hooves for other things.

“Each of you will have to learn how to put this behind you or come to terms with this new knowledge. But for now, we have work to do!” With a clap of his hooves he brought the girls back to the real world after they had been thinking of what was said.




For the next several hours the four ponies worked on stances, using some of the techniques that the girls had used during cleaning that apparently were martial arts moves in disguise.

A lot of what was shown to Apple Bloom were moves that used her back legs, though she was to practice some front leg movements in order to stay in balance.

Scootaloo learned and practiced using both fore-hooves and back legs equally as well as standing on taller structures to help her get used to being higher up generally.

Sweetie Belle learned to use her fore-hooves more than anything else, with some back leg work to stay in balance. Another thing that she was assigned to do was meditate, learning to calm herself and picture clearly different feats she wanted to do with magic.




All three girls did some meditation as well as learning of the nature and balance around them; working hard to remember everything they were told. They were worked harder than when it was just chores and while Miyagi was somehow able to help all three with almost vastly different techniques, the girls drew strength from one another as they all worked towards the goal of learning Martial Arts for the sake of self-defense.



Miyagi was pleased with such eager learners and made sure they had lunch and a supper to take home after every day. It was a little after a week of doing this kind of training when the crusaders ran into trouble.


They had returned home well after 11pm this time and had been doing a new kind of exercise where they stood on a small ledge and did some of their movements; meaning that their hooves were extra sore that night from trying to stay in balance even as they were moving. When they had finally made it up the ramp to their Clubhouse they found a certain orange-coated farm pony waiting in the center of the main room, tapping her hoof impatiently.



“Where have y'all been?! Ah've been lookin' all over them fields an' never saw head or tail of ya. An' why have y'all been gettin' back so gosh darn late? We ain't seen y'all in over a week an' a half, what kind of 'surviving' are y'all doin'?!” Applejack glared at the fillies before her for disappearing all the time and scaring their relatives with fears of hungry Timberwolves and lost fillies.


The girls couldn't think of an excuse and just stared dejectedly at the floor.

“An' Rarity has been worrin' too, she had gone visited yer parents Sweetie Belle, an' when she heard that nopony heard from YA that she came a runnin' tah me an' Ah had tah be the one tah tell her that AH hadn't seen none y'all fer days. How well did ya think that went? What do y'all have tah say fer yerselves?” Applejack continued to glare at the young ponies, trying to get across all the trouble they caused this time by disappearing without telling anyone where they were going.

“We're sorry,” all three intoned as one while they scuffed their hooves along the floor.

“We didn't mean tah make y'all worried like that Sis', honest. We jus' plum fergot cause we was trying real hard this time around.” Apple Bloom peeked at her sister who now looked a little skeptical about what they had been doing.

“We just lost track of how long we had been doing that; we are really super sorry. I'll go and visit mom, dad and Rarity first thing tomorrow, promise.” An eyebrow rose at this statement, as the glare lessened once Applejack saw that the girls were indeed sorry for the worry they caused others.

“Yeah, we'll make sure to check in with you guys and we won't lose track like that again, promise.” Scootaloo felt the need to seal the deal and the three nodded in agreement with the promise made.

After another stern look to be sure that she was getting the truth, the orange mare nodded and gave each filly a hug before saying goodnight.

“Alright y'all, sleep well an' Ah'll be seeing at least one of ya at the breakfast table tomorrow right?” A single brow rose with this question only to be lowered with a smile as Apple Bloom rapidly nodded.

“Good night Applejack!”

“Night Applejack!”

“Good night Sis'! See ya tomorrow!”





Once the older sister had returned to the farm house the Crusaders looked at one another in concern; how were they going to keep traveling to Miyagi's house for lessons if they had to show up around town so nopony became worried for them?

“What if we went every other day?” Sweetie Belle asked shyly, unsure if this would be enough for the others and their teacher.

“Maybe, but how do we tell Miyagi about all this?” Scootaloo looked to each of her friends as they all put a hoof to their chin in thought.

“What if we sent ah letter tah Miyagi telling him that our folks don't want us tah go traveling everyday so we have tah cut back tah every other day fer training? We could give it to the post office so that he'll git it fast and know what's goin' on.” After seeing two nods of agreement, the green-yellow filly grabbed nearby paper and pencil to write their note trying to make it seem as innocent as possible without getting anyone into trouble.

Once that task was completed, the girls fell into slumber quickly once more; concern for the next day already gone after their plan was made.


This would become habit for the next month, spending a day in Ponyville then the next day going to Miyagi's for more training. To make up for only working on their lessons every other day, they worked doubly hard at learning and often spent their off days in the fields of the farm practicing.

Rarity and the Belles forgave Sweetie Belle for having gone on such a long camping trip and she would go to bed at her own house on the days that they stayed in town; which meant that she could stay at the Clubhouse on the nights that they would get home late from their Martial Arts training.

Apple Bloom made sure that she and her two friends went for lunch and supper at the family farm on the days that they stayed in town just to show that they hadn't disappeared into some dangerous region.

Scootaloo remained on the farm for the duration of summertime, though she kept an eye out for Pepper or other older orphans on the lookout for runaways. It seemed like staying out of Ponyville and even traveling outside of town threw Pepper off the trail; though the orange pegasus stayed out of town just in case. She appreciated the effort Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle made to include her in family activities or event just hanging out at the Clubhouse and knew she had the best friends a pony could ask for.


What none of the girls knew was that their efforts of becoming more balanced and proper Martial Artists were showing in what they did around town. Ponies found the girls were more coordinated and didn't seem to trip or fall over themselves as much, as well as becoming surer of themselves. None of their relatives or friends knew what was causing this change, but only assumed that it had to do with growing up.


Even though they were training, the girls still made plans to visit other towns later on as well as other things to Crusade for in the meantime. It felt natural and normal, and they wanted to spice things up with another attempt at Crusading in Applewood once all the heat and worry died down at home. For now, they planned to enjoy their very unique summer together as Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Author's Note:

Yep, another update soon after the latest one. What do you think of the girls' weaknesses? Fits pretty well doesn't it. : )

And yeah, they want to go back to Applewood where they got their flanks handed to them. They never did get a chance to see the result of their acting after all.