• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 1,924 Views, 37 Comments

Twilight's Test Tube Transformations - Indeliblink



What if Twilight had been a bit untruthful about sending the Pinkie clones back to the mirror pool? (Follows the events of "Too Many Pinkie Pies.")

  • ...
8
 37
 1,924

Initiation

Life is much like a painting... One's colors may be common, but the unique forms they take are what make those colors appear so vivid.


Twilight, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash were strolling towards Sugarcube Corner, where Spike had just taken a seat on the front steps. He raised a clawed hand, clutched around a rolled-up scroll, and with a deep breath he spat out a calm wave of green flame that engulfed the document. As mist drifted off in the direction of Canterlot, the dragon lowered his arm, and the fire flowing from his mouth dissipated to reveal a pink pony watching from the doorway. She was noticeably slouched and run-down, no doubt exhausted from the day's events--especially that whole 'don't move or get distracted by anything or anypony lest you get vaporized and imprisoned in the mirror pool for all eternity' ordeal. Nevertheless, her friends continued to approach her in hopes of unwinding.

"Hi, Pinkie Pie," Twilight greeted in an upbeat tone. "We were thinking we should go out and celebrate."

"You up for some wheelbarrow races?" Applejack cut in.

"Or I could take everypony on a cloud ride!" chimed Rainbow.

"I could throw a party with punch and zesty cucumber sandwiches!" Rarity suggested. "Ooh!"

Pinkie Pie backed into the house with a weary smile. "You wanna know exactly what I feel like doing right now?" Without another word, she leaned back and fell to the floor of the bakery, heaving a relaxed sigh. Not a second later, a rumbling snore rang out through the street, her hind leg twitching erratically. The rest of the mares (plus dragon) stared for a moment, before Fluttershy broke the silence.

"That looks like fun," the yellow pony remarked quietly. Everypony burst into a fit of giggles at that, and Applejack murmured an 'oh, Pinkie...' as Twilight gently swung the door closed with her magic.

"Well, you guys still wanna hang out?" Rainbow flew in lazy circles behind them. "The offer still stands for that cloud ride!"

"Or wheelbarrow races," Applejack reminded them.

Rarity grimaced, running a hoof through her mane. "As... exciting as I'm sure that is, darling, I'm afraid I must be off."

"Hey, wait, don't let Applejack spoil your day," Rainbow flew in front of her, disappointment etched on her face. "We don't have to do some boring old wheelbarrow race!"

"Boring old wheelbarrow race?" Applejack cried. "Why, of all the--"

"Actually, I should go, as well," Twilight admitted. "I have a few things I was hoping to check up on at the library, and I'm a bit tired after today." The pegasus stared at her in disbelief, and Twilight quickly added, "Maybe some other time, though."

"I think I'll go, too," Fluttershy whispered. "I'd like to take that nap now."

Rainbow Dash gave a defeated sigh and waved the comments off with a hoof. "Ah, don't worry about it... See you later!" The group dispersed, and Spike hopped up onto Twilight's back as the sounds of Rainbow's and Applejack's bickering faded out behind them.

"So, what do we have to do tonight, Twilight?" Spike glanced up at the sky; sunset was fast approaching, and they had yet to do any work today.

"Actually, I just have some paperwork for the library to fill out, so you can have the rest of the day off, Spike." Twilight flashed a smile over her shoulder at her assistant. Spike grinned back, his tail curling up in delight.

"Wow, thanks, Twilight!"

"Don't mention it." The pair settled into a comfortable silence that stretched until they came to the front door of the library. Twilight and Spike entered their home, Twilight closing the door gently while Spike dismounted from his seat on the mare's back. He tossed a quick farewell over his shoulder as he scampered upstairs--likely to get a few extra hours' sleep, the unicorn guessed with a smirk. Her purple eyes followed him through the bedroom door, the smile remaining on her muzzle as the door closed behind him. After a short pause, she abruptly turned and trotted calmly towards another door embedded in the wall under the staircase, her face expressionless. With a short burst of magic, she pulled it open; light shone through the entryway and illuminated a short flight of stairs descending into a basement.

Twilight made her way downstairs, tail twitching with anticipation. She froze in place as her straining ears picked up a faint noise from nearby; once the sound had died out, she hurried across the room to a spot near the corner and probed the floorboards with her magic until she came across a well-concealed latch on the floor. The unicorn cast a quick glance behind her in search of any prying eyes, and was soon satisfied to confirm she was completely alone. A quick twist and tug resulted in the trapdoor being unscrewed and removed from the floor, leaving a wide hole with yet another, steeper staircase descending further into the depths beneath the building.

As Twilight hopped down onto the first step, a chorus of wails and squeaks echoed around her, and the corners of her mouth curved up to accompany the sudden glint in her eye. Quickly proceeding down the stairs, she came to a short corridor that opened into a rather large laboratory adorned with a few experimental setups.

But the most distinguishable features of the room were the twin rows of vertically-barred cages aligned a few feet across from each other, each occupied by its very own bouncy pink pony. Their murmurs and whimpers were hushed almost immediately as Twilight stepped into plain view of the captives, sweeping her gaze over the long stretch of vaguely prison-like cells.

Excellent, she thought, her smile cracking into a barely-restrained grin.

*ahem*

"Good evening, my little clonies!" The unicorn allowed herself a brief pause to chuckle at her own joke before continuing on with a much more formal tone. "Due to recent... unpleasantness in the area, thanks to you all, the decision has been made to remove you from society.

"Now, I bet you're all wondering what this means for you." Twilight began pacing slowly and deliberately up and down the path between the cages, making sharp eye contact with each of said cages' current residents. "Obviously, I didn't actually send you back to the mirror pool like I had originally led everypony to believe. That was just something I made up to dismiss you from my fellow citizens' minds and prevent any suspicions from arising. The fact is, it just doesn't work that way. You're all flesh-and-blood beings, and the only thing that sending you there would have accomplished would be to create even more of you. While that would fit in with my plans, it would also be quite the challenge to manage two or three times as many of you as there currently are in this room."

Twilight's smile returned as she went on. "Anyway... For the time being, you have the pleasure of being here, with me. Since I am still obligated to erase you all--which I intend to do, as one Pinkie is more than enough for me--I will do so, as time permits. But, as I said before, this does not entail simply sending you away, or reuniting your essences with the mirror pool; as a matter of fact, there is really no such 'special method' to eliminate you as clones."

Twilight's eyes suddenly darkened; she tilted her head, her muzzle pointed at the ground with shadows thrown across her visage in the dimly lit room, and her subtle smile slowly twisted into a maniacal grin. "...so I guess I'll just have to make do."

Twilight spared one more look at the clone closest to her, who shrank back against the far bars of its cage with trembling hooves. The unicorn blinked lazily and turned to walk back to the stairs. As she lay her front hoof on the first step, she came to a halt, facing away from the cages and the rest of the room. Before ascending back into the common world, and without turning around, she uttered one final phrase that sent shivers racing down her prisoners' spines:

"Welcome to the library."