• Published 24th Feb 2012
  • 2,157 Views, 61 Comments

Dashed Dreams(New Life Edit) - Landon



Scootaloo has always had a tough life, one she may not suffer alone. Will her hero be replaced?

  • ...
2
 61
 2,157

Reunion Ch8

Dash rocketed through the trees and down the road, coming to its mouth she tilted her wings and shot upward, her muscles began to burn as her energy dropped. She hadn't eaten a solid meal since her last encounter with the unicorn mare. Dash forced herself downward at a steady glide.

She finished the trip at a fraction of her previous speed on the ground kicking herself for being childish enough to waste her energy. The remainder of the trip would have to be on hoof, slowing her pace dramatically.

'First food, then Scootaloo, no prob. Guess I'll blame myself later' she reassured herself knowing it would be a long trip, but well worth it if she was able to make it up to the filly.


The remainder of the day had been spent on the ground, Rainbow Dash's energy was nearly at its limit by the time she entered the prominent inner-city. Once again she was surrounded by the hues of grey and red brick. Finding the younger pegasus hadn't been easy before, but at least this time she may be able to recall where Scootaloo was staying. Turning east she set off down the road; food could wait a little longer if it meant a head start.

* * * * *

A curtain of sunshine fell into the main room of the apartment, its rays shining through the narrow streets. One blade of the light crossed across Scootaloo's face, shaking her from another night of light sleep filled with dreams of Rainbow Dash and flying. She shook the fog from her head and reminisced momentarily at her dreams before they could fade further. Only moments later she head the shuffling of feathers and a yawn as the sun continued its path through the room, waking the larger fire maned pegasus guest. Vinyl was immune to the solar assault thanks to the dark sunglasses she had not removed since meeting the filly.

"Come on V, get up." Spitfire prodded at the white unicorn with a fore hoof to no avail. Letting out a defeated huff she casually walked out of the room, Scootaloo sat quietly on the couch.

Spitfire returned with a cup in her hoof, approaching the unicorn once more with it. Scootaloo watched in awe as the famed pegasus casually tipped the glass and it's cold contents came spilling out at the mare below's head, only to be stopped by a colorful barrier of magic. The cold water was formed into a floating ball by the energy.

"I knew you were faking it, lazy." Spitfire said to the DJ as she sat up.

"Hey, with your snoring who's to say I don't deserve a little extra time." she casually replied, sipping casually from the captured liquid sphere. The older pegasus rolled her eyes and gave Scootaloo a smile, noticing the filly was fully awake.

"Rough night?" she asked, noticing the way Scootaloo seemed lost in thought, at the question the latter simply turned and looked out the window briefly, Lost in thoughts of the past week. Spitfire nodded and left the filly to her thoughts.

‘They’re so alike they don’t even see it’ she thought to herself remembering the way Rainbow Dash could slip into thoughts with the same blank expression. Ending up in Vinyl’s apartment again was something the flame pegasus hadn’t expected a few days ago but was happy to oblige. Finding her lost recuit in the mean time was bonus on its own. ‘I’ll have to remember to thank the pony who tipped me off later’.

Scootaloo continued to stare blankly at the window, the street below was beginning to fill with ponies going about their daily lives, busy and content they marched through the streets. She watched them for a short while before returning to the remnants of her dreams, a Rainbow mane and a cerulean blue sky.

----------

The mismatched trio of ponies continued their journey through the busy city, having no current duties the group was free to wonder aimlessly to their will. Scootaloo has since grown used to the freedom as well as Vinyl's tendency to take the most random path possible through the city, deciding it was best to simply keep pace with Spitfire who was better able to read the DJ.

"Um, hey Spitfire..." Scootaloo looked up at the Wonderbolt as they walked. Vinyl continued to not notice and nod her head to the beat that escaped the ears of the others.

"Yeah kid?"

"I’ve been thinking, do you think you can do me a favor?"

Spitfire turned her head to the filly. "Sure thing, what do you need?"

"Do you think you could help Rainbow Dash? She really wants to be a Wonderbolt."

"Really?" she thought it over. "Thats a big request for you, and you want her to make it? Even after all this?"

"Yeah, well... I think so. It's what she always really wanted, and now I won't get in her way." she spoke softly as she thought more deeply about the answer she gave. Spitfire extended a wing over the orange pegasus.

"Is that what you think?"

"I think so." suddenly unsure of herself.

"Well what if I told you she already made it in?"

Scootaloo looked quickly to the older mare. "So she's going to be a Wonderbolt?" she asked excitedly, quickly regaining her composure.

"Well, not exactly" Spitfire began. "She didn't show up for training." she watched the foal's expression change as the message made its way to her.

"What? Why? It's all she ever talked about."

"For you..." a new voice said from behind them. The group stopped and turned to face the direction it had come from. Standing behind them was a disheveled Rainbow Dash, clearly exhausted as her mane was swept in various directions and her ruby eyes were outlined by dark circles and heavy lids. Her face wore an expression of contentment with finally finding the younger, former fan.

Scootaloo froze at the sight, trying to piece the last words she had heard together. She turned to look at Spitfire who only smiled back down at her, "I think you two need to talk, we'll be back." before an argumant could be made she turned and walked off with Vinyl, the DJ watching cautiously back through the dark lenses of her glasses.

The two pegasus ponies stood in an uncomfortable silence for a short while,
Scootaloo shifted awkwardly. Rainbow Dash was the first to break the silence.

"I'm... I'm really sorry."

"You gave up the Wonderbolts?" the filly's mind was still trapped in the loop.
It didn't seem to make sense to her.

"I had to come get you."

Scootaloo stood motionless, staring down the rainbow pegasus with glass eyes offering a painful stare, Dash had to look away. "You... I don't..." the filly stumbled through her thoughts as the scene sank in. Finally she took in a breath and steadied her nerves. "I'm sorry too. I guess I overreacted a little... Or a lot."

"It's ok squirt, you did what I would have really, but better. I wouldn't have lasted a day out here."

"So you don't want me gone?" she offered.

"What? No, never! Listen, I didn't know, I was acting like a feather brain. And I do now, you can come home, back to your friends, your life. I'll be there now."

Scootaloo looked back in the direction of Spitfire and Vinyl who were talking out of earshot, Vinyl was attempting to watch Scootaloo her face bore a crestfallen expression. Though no pony could see it, the eyes hidden behind the dark lenses were welling up with tears at the thought of losing her newest friend so soon.

"I can't..." she dropped her gaze. "I can't go back with you."

Rainbow Dash looked in the direction of the other mares. The air took on a sudden icy bite causing Dash to shiver, her mane felt like it had lost its bright luminescence. "Oh yeah, I forgot."

"Vinyl has been helping me out a ton. I can't just leave."

"But what about your old friends? Everypony is worried about you."

Scootaloo let out a frustrated huff. 'Why does this have to be so hard!' she nearly screamed in her mind. "Just... Just wait here a sec." with that the orange filly buzzed over to the other mares. Rainbow Dash waited impatiently as they talked, Scootaloo appeared to be asking each one a flurry of questions which received mixed nods and inaudible responses. Toward the end Dash noticed the white DJ watching her closely, her sunglasses giving no positive read of emotion. Dash stared back but made no effort to move or question it as the younger Pegasus continued talking. She could only wait for Scootaloo to return for a proper explanation, for now, waiting was the only option once again.