• Published 24th Feb 2012
  • 2,157 Views, 61 Comments

Dashed Dreams(New Life Edit) - Landon



Scootaloo has always had a tough life, one she may not suffer alone. Will her hero be replaced?

  • ...
2
 61
 2,157

Confrontation Ch6

The next morning couldn't have come sooner, Rainbow Dash had spent the night by the window, watching for hours down the street where the stars were visible to her in case a familiar face was to walk down the busy corridor, she fell asleep without realizing it late in the night only to be jostled from her lack of rest by the fresh rays of Celestia's sun. She quickly made herself decent from her previous day of heavy flying and stepped out into the hall, took a left and trotted down the stairs. As she rounded the stair well to the third floor she was forced to leap over a white unicorn who was traveling up with a bag, the mare nearly dropped her items at the sight of a rainbow maned pegasus galloping down the narrow shaft, but there was no time for that, Rainbow Dash was far more concerned with her search.

"Rainbow Dash?" The white mare called down to the swiftly moving figure. She fit Scootaloo's description perfectly. The pegasus froze on the stairs, turning back to her and walking to the stranger. "Ha! I knew it!" the unicorn cheered to herself.

"You know me?" she asked, eyeing the other pony who ignored the question.

"So, you're really her. Wow, what are the odds right?"

Rainbow Dash was becoming frustrated with the unwelcome obstruction, she was eager to resume her search, not knowing where Scootaloo had been staying. "Is there something you want? I've got things to do." she asked more coldly than necessary, the DJ grinned at the tone.

"Wow, Scoot was right, you're a pushy one aren't you? I don't get it. What brings a big shot like you out here?"

Rainbow's mind stuck on the beginning of the reply, her breath shortened and her eyes locked on the other mare. "Who was that again?"

"Scoot, y'know as in Scootaloo, you're number one fan, well once. The one you blew off and left to run into a city alone." her own voice was cold now, she floated the bag of breakfast she had gathered onto the floor. She could feel Dash's cold stare and was less then amused with the ego-centric pegasus.

"You found her? Where is she?" she demanded.

"Oh so now you care? After years of rejection? Nice try, she isn't ready to see you just yet."

Dash spread her forelegs and dropped her head defensively. "Tell me where she is. Now."

"Why? So you can torment her more? Do you even realize what you did to her? What you meant to her?" her horn began to glow as her anger built.

"I'm taking her home, where she belongs."

"And where exactly is her home? Do you really know?" Vinyl pressed on.

"In Ponyville, with her real friends."

"I got that, but where in ponyville might that be?" She watched Dash think for a moment and her aggressive stance loosen. "You didn't even care to ask did you? Not once."

Dash didn't reply. She stood half stunned, half saddened by the fact she had never once asked the filly where she lived, or for that matter ever heard her talk about it. She was always so willing to talk about Rainbow Dash that it never occurred to the latter to take interest.

"She followed you for years, just trying to get your attention, even the slightest bit of care. She never told you because you were supposed to help her. She waited for you, and you told her to leave. But did you ever once think to what? Where was she going to go?"

"Bu-" Dash tried but was cut off.

"No. You didn't. You were too focused on your own life to care about hers. She looked up to you, you know that? All she wanted was to be like you, even just a little. Some hero you made out to be." Her rage was building as she assaulted Rainbow with the harsh reality. One thing Vinyl knew better than anypony in Equestria was that reality was a monster, left unchecked it could destroy a pony who could have otherwise been helped. The DJ went far out of her way to help friends, giving them places to stay, food to eat, and a willing ear to listen. Her vast wealth stored intelligently allowed her to live care free, reality bent at her whim now.

Rainbow Dash regained her composure, assuming her stand once more, "I have to see her. I came to find her and I'm not leaving until I talk to her."

"No, you're leaving. And you’re leaving now. When she wants to talk to you she will find you, if you're lucky she might forgive you. But that’s her choice.” She eyed the mare who had gained her distrust so quickly, “You, a Wonderbolt? Please, they take ponies with character, heroes even. You’re a disgrace to their name.”

"No!" Dash jumped at the unicorn. Her rage exploding outward causing her to act though feeling alone, standards meant nothing right now. Vinyl reached out with her magic and slapped a tendril across her face, sending her onto the stairs. Her hair stood out wildly with magic discharge and she readied herself for another charge. Dash jumped again, her eyes full of frustration and tears only to be smacked away again.

"You're not going to hurt her, she needs time." Vinyl lashed out with the strands of energy blocking Dash's progress past her. The pegasus was beginning to tire, she laid on the stairs, her coat disheveled and a clear line swelling across her wing. Her head lowered and body aching tears flowed off of her muzzle and onto the cold floor. Her mane was whipped wildly. Defeated she lifted herself and ran from the building.

Vinyl stood defensively for a moment after hearing the lower door open and slam shut once more. Her mind came back to focus, it wasn't a preferred method to use against one she had just met, but no pony was going to hurt her newest friend, they would talk when Scootaloo was ready, and not a day sooner. Seeing Dash so quickly would only confuse her further, and she didn't need to start blaming herself so young. Vinyl lifted the bag and trotted back to her apartment where the filly was waiting patiently for their breakfast. She would be sure to tell Scootaloo the less violent bits of the encounter when the time was right. For now, the filly needed her space.