• Published 24th Feb 2012
  • 2,157 Views, 61 Comments

Dashed Dreams(New Life Edit) - Landon



Scootaloo has always had a tough life, one she may not suffer alone. Will her hero be replaced?

  • ...
2
 61
 2,157

Intervening Ch7

In one of the small parks that dotted Manehatten Vinyl lay lazily in the grass, looking upward through the dark rimmed glasses into the sky. Above her Scootaloo was beginning to practice her flying once more. Without a focused drive her progress had slowed but she was comfortable with it. For her size she was a very strong flyer, although not as fast as she would like her newly developed wings served to help her gain altitude greatly. She loved flying high; it made her feel that she was for a small moment in time above her problems. The past few days were life changing to say the least; it was good to feel freedom like this.

Vinyl watched patiently as the filly danced about in the air, being a party pony for a good portion of her previous few years meant days laying in the park while still conscious were rare at best. If it had only been a short time before it would be expected the only reason she was here was that she hadn't found any better place to sleep off a less than sober encounter with another pony who had long since departed. She laughed at the thought now, it was easier to just laugh anyway.

Watching Scootaloo still managed to fill her with a wide mixture of joys, the pegasus was her newest and only responsibility. Being no help as a flyer she was content to walk down the path of her own memories, careful not to look too deeply in some holes. Soon she heard a light thud at her side, shaking the DJ from her journey.

Lifting herself lazily from the ground she sat up to see who landed near her. Standing beside her was an friend she hadn't seen in years, before her party days took a turn for the worst she the two would regularly spend evenings hopping from club to club as Vinyl put on various performances there. Being well known ponies left the two closer, having the ability to fall back on someone you could trust came in handy many times. Of course as time would have it they found themselves split, Vinyl's problems began to surface with the loss of a trusting hoof. The sight now left her with mixed feelings, for some reason her week was just getting weirder and weirder. Motioning for the friend to have a seat in the cool grass she continued her skyward gaze with a content smile as the pegasus took a seat.

Scootaloo took no notice to the pair, focused on her own thoughts; Rainbow Dash was still managing to break into her mind. She tried to focus on her own abilities, only to be ripped back to her days spent watching Dash fly, they both loved the sky dearly, every pegasus did in a way, but for Dash it was something different. The sky was an extension of her, Scootaloo had seen it many times and has since tried to imitate it to no avail, truly no pony could fly like her former idol. Tired, she floated to the single, lazy cloud hovering over the park, somehow missed by the weather team of the city. Taking a place safely on it she looked to the ground below, the place she had been trapped for far too long. She could see Vinyl sitting below as she had been before, this time with a new pony at her side, deciding not to interrupt them she rolled back onto the soft cloud. As she rolled over much to her surprise she found a new guest at her side. A few feet away, eyeing her curiously was a dark blue pegasus stallion, his wings tucked in at his sides as two massive bulbs of dark feather.

"Oh, hey um, sorry if this was your cloud. I didn't see you there." she started; he lifted a hoof and gave her a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry about it... Scootaloo is it?" he asked lowering his hoof.

"Yeah, how'd you know my name?" she looked him over, trying to remember if they had ever crossed paths before. He ignored the question out right.

"Still thinking about her?"

"How did you- No, I mean, who?" she stammered.

"I thought so, you know, it's not too late." he looked toward the forest at the edge of the city, barely visible from the cloud they shared. Scootaloo looked too but saw nothing out of the ordinary.

"What are you talking about?"

"You know Scootaloo, she needs you too." With this he lifted himself and spread his wings, they were double the size of any the filly had seen before, with a single beat his form was carried upward, safely off the cloud he turned and left, offering her no further explanation for his reasons for the conversation. She watched him depart, wondering what exactly had just happened; as left the cloud a small scrap of paper fell from a place under his wing and drifted downward. Without thinking Scootaloo lunged forward and caught it in her fore hoofs, nearly throwing herself off the cloud. Looking over the old paper she recognized it as one of her own drawings. On the page was a poorly made picture of Rainbow Dash, across it were discolored spots and a smear threatened to remove part of Dash's mane.

Scootaloo wondered why the strange pony had possessed the simple drawing, it wasn't special from the others, a simple mouth drawn image she did during school one day. Turning the page over she found it to unchanged outside of the wear of being tossed about. Grasping it in her mouth gently she slid off the cloud and landed beside the white unicorn and her friend and tucked the paper away in her wing. Getting a closer look her attention snapped to the pegasus mare. Spitfire herself was sitting in the grass having a conversation with the DJ. Noticing the filly approaching they turned to face her, ending their conversation.

"Hey kiddo, you must be Scootaloo. Man, you are a young one. And flying so quickly? I'm impressed."

Scootaloo's face lit up, 'A Wonderbolt is impressed with me!' she nearly screamed in her own head. Realizing she hadn't responded to the famous flyer she caught herself. "Really? You mean it?"

"Of course I do, you're quite the special one I hear. Equestria's next young best flyer maybe?"

"That's me!" she exclaimed hopping slightly in the air at the praise.

"Glad to hear it, I can't wait to see it." she grinned warmly at the filly.
Vinyl had her normal mad mare smile plastered across her face, although slightly worn looking. Scootaloo didn't notice. "Well, it was good to see you V, but I think I should get going."

"What? Yeah right, not getting away so easily this time oh feathered one." she flashed her grin at the pegasus and stood. "Besides I'm starving, let's eat." she began walking away for the remaining two pegasus who quickly moved to catch up.

Spitfire took pace just behind Scootaloo and looked the filly over. Her wings were larger than most at the young age, her flight feathers nearly fully developed already. It was an impressive sight, but what caught her eye amongst the orange coat and feathers was a section of white, poking from the back of the filly's wing, a partially visible head poking out, the rest concealed. She grinned to herself, the picture she recognized. Saying nothing she moved on, wondering how the filly had gotten ahold of it so soon.