• Published 17th Aug 2013
  • 2,365 Views, 107 Comments

Chasing Shadows - Yukito



FBI agents Shining Armor and Cadance recruit the help of Sunset Shimmer to chase rogue agent Sombra into Equestria.

  • ...
10
 107
 2,365

8 - Fleeing The Scene

A flash of light filled an otherwise dark alleyway in downtown Manehatten, startling the nearby mule attempting to take a nap under the cover of some old newspapers. Sunset Shimmer emerged from the flash of light with a look of absolute rage directed towards the mule. “What the hay was that?!” she demanded. “You said that Sombra was just some weakling! How did he know how to perform magic to such an extent?!”

“I, I dunno, ma’am,” the mule said, inching as far back from the enraged mare before the wall stopped him.

Sunset Shimmer blushed as she realised that this was not Shining Armor she was yelling at, and looked around for him. “Oh great. I must have teleported them someplace else,” she concluded upon not seeing any sign of either FBI agent.

“Um,” the mule started, “I don’t suppose you could spare a few bits for somepony down on their luck, could ya?”

With a sigh, Sunset levitated all of the remaining bits she had pocketed earlier and dropped them at the mule’s hooves. “You never saw me,” she said as she turned to leave. Behind her she could hear the mule thanking her and praising Celestia for her kindness. ‘Celestia had nothing to do with it, you idiot.

Outside of the alleyway was a street unfamiliar to Sunset Shimmer. “Just how far did I travel? Whatever, Shining Armor and Cadance should be close by. I’d better find them and get some answers.” As she walked through the streets, keeping her eyes peeled for any sign of her two partners, Sunset Shimmer allowed her thoughts to wander. “But how did Sombra manage to use such powerful magic? It shouldn’t have been possible if he’s only been here for two days.”

“Excuse me, ma’am?”

Oh what now?!’ Turning around, Sunset gasped as she saw a pony dressed in armour approach her.

“We’re currently looking for a grey stallion who we believe is residing in this area. Have you seen anypony with a grey coat and black hair, by any chance?”

Good, he doesn’t seem to recognise me,’ Sunset thought to herself as she smiled. “Sorry, sir, but I can’t say that I have. May I ask what this stallion has done?”

“… We have received reports claiming he resembles the supposedly-late King Sombra.”

‘King Sombra?’ Sunset put a hoof to her chin. ‘Well well, he was Royalty in this world.’ Putting her hoof back down on the ground, Sunset Shimmer gave the guard a concerned look. “It is safe to walk around here, right?”

The guard nodded. “Do not worry, ma’am. The Royal Guard has a close watch over every street. Though if you still feel uneasy, you may wish to return to your home now. But as it is still bright outside, you should be quite safe.”

“Thank you.” Sunset Shimmer watched the guard leave. “‘King Sombra’… Interesting, but his Equestrian counterpart should have nothing to do with his American one. Especially not if he’s dead…”

“Come on, let’s search this place next,” a voice behind Sunset Shimmer said. She turned around to see a familiar white stallion standing just outside of an ice-cream shop, a curly pink tail wisping inside. “Fine, one cone, and then we continue our search.”

“Well I’ll be,” Sunset muttered as she approached Shining Armor, her furious glare returning to her face the closer she got. “There you are!” she shouted, alerting Shining Armor to her presence. “You have a lot of nerve!”

“I-I’m sorry?” Shining asked as he backed away slowly from the approaching mare.

“So you should be! What was all this about Sombra not being dangerous, huh?!”

“Wait, you encountered King Sombra?!” Shining asked, suddenly placing a hoof forward towards Sunset Shimmer and placing himself directly in front of her.

Sunset was surprised by the sudden action the raise in Shining’s volume, but she was mostly focused on what he had just said. “What do you-”

“Shining? Is everything alright?” The two turned to see Cadance leaving the ice-cream store and walking towards them. Only, this Cadance was different from the one that Sunset Shimmer had seen earlier. She was wearing golden horseshoes. And a golden necklace. And a small crown on top of her head. And most noticeably… “A friend of yours? Hm? You look familiar…”

Sunset Shimmer slowly started to back away, her eyes wide and her jaw agape as she stared at the Alicorn staring at her with a curious look on her face. “Uh… I-I’m nopony, really…” ‘Damnit! Of all the ponies from Equestria to run into…

“Ah!” Cadance gasped. “I know who you are! You’re Sunset Shimmer!”

“What?!” Shining suddenly jumped in front of Cadance and charged his magic. “The same Sunset Shimmer who stole Twilie’s crown?!”

“Well, I seem to be all done here, so I’ll just be on my way,” Sunset said with an innocent smile, her horn lighting up mere moments before she vanished before their eyes in a flash of light.


“New orders, stallions, so listen up!” Shining shouted as he finished rounding up squad. “There are two in this city whom we must capture! Our new target is an orange-coloured Unicorn mare. This is an artist’s rendering of her.”

Sunset Shimmer watched the scene quietly from behind a parked caravan. “This is bad. Now they’ll be searching all over Manehatten for me! I still haven’t found Shining Armor and Cadance yet, but…”

“Alright Apples,” the stallion on the front of the caravan shouted in a cheerful tone, “Let’s mosey on outta here! Next stop, Fillydelphia!”

Sunset Shimmer took that as her cue, and as soon as the rest of the ponies hanging around the caravan hopped inside, she climbed into the back quietly and hid herself behind the tarp. “Hope you won’t mind me hitching a ride,” she whispered to nopony in particular.

“You don’t think the two of them are working together, do you?” Cadance asked from outside the caravan.

“Come on, get moving already!” Sunset hissed as she heard hoofsteps drawing closer.

“It’s possible, but for now we just have to focus on apprehending them. They’re both proficient at magic… Maybe I should have brought Twilie along after all…”

A thought crossed Sunset Shimmer’s mind. ‘Sombra was a practitioner of magic? Wait, maybe… Could this world’s Sombra be conspiring with the other world’s?

“In any case, I want all trailers and caravans leading and out of this city to be checked before they leave!” Sunset Shimmer felt the caravan begin to move, and breathed a relieved sigh. “Hey, wait!” She jumped and peeked outside. She saw Shining Armor chasing after the caravan, but to no avail. He eventually had to give up as his breath drew short, and within minutes Sunset Shimmer could see the city of Manehatten growing smaller and smaller in the distance.

“… I guess I’m free then,” Sunset said to herself as she lay back against some of the nearby crates, opening one with her magic and taking a few apples from inside. “Free… to do what, exactly?” Memories of her earlier encounter with Sombra flooded her brain. “… That stallion beat me so easily… Despite my obvious superiority, how did he…” Sunset Shimmer shook her head. “Darn it, I can’t just let this go! Wherever this caravan stops, I’m going to find a library and find out who this ‘King Sombra’ is.”