• Published 17th Aug 2013
  • 2,365 Views, 107 Comments

Chasing Shadows - Yukito



FBI agents Shining Armor and Cadance recruit the help of Sunset Shimmer to chase rogue agent Sombra into Equestria.

  • ...
10
 107
 2,365

13 - Who Is King Sombra?

Sunset Shimmer used her magic to grab yet another book off of a high shelf that she would otherwise be unable to reach. This was perhaps one of the few things she missed about Equestria. In America, she would have to find some fool to reach a high shelf for her, or find a ladder and climb up there herself.

“Don’t you have enough books already?” Iron Will asked as the book was added to the ever-growing stack in his hands. “What exactly are you even looking for?”

“You don’t need to know. Just carry my books and for the love of god, try to keep you voice down.”

“The love of what now?” Iron Will asked, raising an eyebrow at the unfamiliar saying. “And I am keeping my voice down.”

“By your standard,” Sunset said. “This is a library. A place of study, not a place to show off your impressive vocal chords.” Sunset grabbed one more book and added it to the pile. “Okay, this should do for a start.”

“A start?!” Iron Will asked, earning shushes from all around him. “Iron Will is starting to regret his decision to help you now.”

“Well if you’re going to leave, at least bring those books along to a quiet, empty spot where I can read them.” Sunset Shimmer led Iron Will through the library, eventually finding a suitable location near the back to sit down and begin her research. Iron Will dumped to books onto the table into five piles and sat down opposite the mare.

“These chairs are so uncomfortable,” Iron Will said as he shifted his backside, trying to get comfortable on the small chair provided by the library. “Equestria needs to make more accommodations for minotaurs. Iron Will can’t even enter his rooms at various inns without banging my head on the doorframe.”

“Mhm,” Sunset replied as she focussed on her first book, skimming through it quickly for certain keywords that would tell her the book was useful. Eventually, she set it down to one side, and picked up her second book.

Three more books were placed aside before Sunset finally found something. “Okay, so King Sombra was a Unicorn who once overthrew the Crystal Empire… and that’s all I’m getting from this book apparently.”

“King Sombra?” Iron Will asked. “Isn’t he that guy that returned with the Empire a few months back?”

Sunset raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean by that?”

“Uh, y’know… The Empire returned after a thousand years of being sealed away?”

Sunset placed the book down and regarded Iron Will with a look of curiosity. “It was sealed away for a thousand years?”

Iron Will nodded. “Where have you been? This was all big news back when the Empire came back.”

“I was out of the Country,” Sunset said simply. “So you’re saying that this ‘King Sombra’ stallion was actually the King of the Crystal Empire one thousand years ago?”

“From what Iron Will has heard,” Iron Will answered. “He came back to rule the Empire again, but was stopped by the Crystal Heart. Or something like that.”

“‘Crystal Heart’… I think I saw that referenced in this book,” Sunset said, picking up the third book she had read and skimming through it once more. “Here it is. It says to refer to Equestrian Ancient History III for more details.”

“Y’mean this one?” Iron Will asked as he pulled a book from the middle of one of the piles, causing the books above it to crash down onto the table. “Uh, sorry ‘bout that.”

Sunset Shimmer grabbed the book with an annoyed glared and opened it up. As Iron Will tidied the mess he had made, Sunset continued to skim through the book until a certain image hit her. “That’s him!” she said. “Well, some features have changed, like the clothes and the smoke-like hair, but this is definitely Sombra!”

“Guy looks like a lot of trouble if you ask Iron Will,” Iron Will said as she leaned over the table to look at the picture.

Sunset’s eyes were drawn to Sombra’s horn in the picture, which was also different from what she recalled seeing, yet still somehow seemed familiar. It was glowing bright-red… “Where have I seen this before? … Aha! Of course! How could I forget? Sombra had something around his neck when we encountered him. Could it really have been this horn?”

“What was that?” Iron Will asked, but received no answer.

“If Sombra is using King Sombra’s horn to enhance his own magic… Is that even possible?” Sunset began mumbling to herself. “Maybe King Sombra is aiding him? Or possessing him? Maybe that was King Sombra? There are so many possibilities.” Sunset shook her head and closed the book before her with a sigh. “Well, in any case, I think I’ve at least figured out how he was able to beat me so easily. Somehow, he must have been able to channel King Sombra’s magic and use it against me.

“It doesn’t really matter to me if he’s captured or not at this point. I got my answer, so I’d best be on my way.”

“You’re leaving?” Iron Will asked as he watched Sunset Shimmer rise out of her seat. “After all the work we did gathering these books?”

“That’s right,” Sunset told Iron Will as she turned to leave. “Though where to go from here, I’m not too sure. I really could care less what Sombra has planned for this world, and I certainly don’t want to risk exposing myself and being captured.”

“You realise you’re not making much sense, right?” Iron Will asked as he stood up and followed Sunset Shimmer.

“You can stop following me now, by the way,” Sunset replied. “I’m no longer in need of any assistance.”

“Um, excuse me,” a voice called out to Sunset Shimmer. The voice belonged to a yellow Earth Pony mare with a pink mane and tail, carrying two books on her back. “Um, are you finished with your reading over there?” she asked, pointing to the spot that Sunset Shimmer had just vacated.

“What’s it to you?” Sunset asked.

“Oh, uh, I-I was just wondering if the spot was free, that’s all…”

Sunset eyed the pony closely. The more she stared at this pony, the more she began to see images of a certain human in her mind.


“Um, excuse me. Miss Sunset Shimmer?”

“What do you want?” Sunset asked as she placed another brick down into the broken wall.

“Well, it’s just that you’ve been working so hard, I thought you might like a snack.” Sunset turned around and saw Fluttershy place a tray containing a carton of orange juice and a freshly-baked apple-pie onto the ground. “I talked with Vice-Principal Luna. She said you don’t have to work during the weekend, which means you’re free tomorrow and Sunday.”

“I know what that means,” Sunset said in a bitter tone. “So what’s going on here? Let me guess: the juice is spiked.”

“The carton hasn’t even been opened,” Fluttershy pointed out.

“Then the pie-”

Fluttershy grabbed her skirt and shook her head. “I… I just thought you could use a break. Working too hard all the time will tire you out, and…”

Sunset Shimmer gave the shy girl a hard glare. “If this has something to do with what Twilight said, then forget it. You don’t have to force yourself to be kind to me.”

“I’m not forcing myself,” Fluttershy insisted. “I just feel bad whenever I see somebody down, and you haven’t been yourself all week… Um, I have to feed my animals. I-If you’re interested, Rarity and I are visiting the spa downtown tomorrow. You’re welcome to come along, if you want.”

“I think I’ll pass,” Sunset said. Fluttershy left with one final farewell.


“Oh! S-Sunset Shimmer… What a, erm, pleasant surprise.”

“Oh, you came along after all.”

“Let’s get one thing straight,” Sunset said to both Rarity and Fluttershy, “I’m only here because my body’s aching from all the work repairing that stupid school wall, that’s all! Meeting you two here was just a coincidence. Nothing more.”

“Well, coincidence or not, we’re all here,” Fluttershy said, “So let’s make the most of it, okay?


Sunset Shimmer pushed past the pony with bared teeth and glaring eyes. ‘Darn it. Why does she remind me so much of that stupid girl? And now I can’t stop thinking of the others.

“Hey! Where are you going?” Iron Will asked as he picked up his pace to catch up with Sunset Shimmer.

“… And their pony counterparts are here in Equestria,” Sunset mumbled to herself.

“What did you say?” Iron Will asked.

Sunset Shimmer cursed herself for what she was about to say next. “Iron Will… I’ll take that job,” she said, much to the minotaur’s surprise. “I’ll need some bits if I’m going to catch a train to Ponyville.”