• Published 10th Aug 2013
  • 1,853 Views, 50 Comments

Chrysalis's college days - MephileztheHam



2 months after the events of the royal wedding Chrysalis has been stripped of her status of queen, now she must prove she has what it takes to get her right as queen back by completing a task, and it may be her toughest yet, attending college!

  • ...
2
 50
 1,853

Chapter 5: Excursions with a Side of Drama


It was the dead of night, a full moon in the sky shining its celestial light across Canterlot. I loved nights like these, it gave me a moments reprieve from my problems. Unfortunately I am not on a stroll, and my problems are very much present at the moment. Instead of relaxing I am huddled, my back against the wall in a alleyway. And two guards lay unconscious in said alley way, each one sporting a bump on their noggins.

“Did you really have to knock them out in such a way that they nearly alerted our presence to everypony?”, I whispered angrily. I turned to the shadows, waiting for a response. Sure enough two glowing azure eyes glared at me from the dark. Followed by Gynaephora, her form seemingly oozing out from the dark. My sister was always good at being a sneaky little mynx, I'll give her that.

“Oh hush you, it wasn't my fault that they let their curiosity get the better of them”, she half whispered half yelled at me. Her raspy was even more annoying when she whispered.

Looking to my left and then my right I sighed, thankfully nopony had heard the scuffle. I pinched the bridge of my nose exhaling a annoyed breath. This was nearly over before it started. And it was all thanks to this harlot. How did I end up sneaking around with my sister? And why are there two knocked out guards in a dirty alleyway? Well I may as well bring everypony up to speed.

It's been one month since that tutoring session with Page and things have finally been looking up. The tutoring has payed off, those tips and tricks taught to me helping me out past the last few exams. Thanks to my new friend I passed them with flying colors and I no longer have to worry about being dropped out of school. And yes you heard me right, I labeled that troubled pony my friend. But don't get the wrong idea, I keep him at arms length and only see him as a means to an end.

Yes, yes I already know how most of you are going to react to me.

“Oh but Chrysalis, Page is a stallion going through a tough life and shouldn't be treated like a tool! How could you treat him this way! He needs to be loved and shown that he isn't like his father-blah blah bucking blah”, yes young Page has been through a lot. However I am not a charity worker that helps out any pony in distress. I am here to do one thing and one thing only, become queen again. As heartless as it sounds I will use Page as I see fit, if I find myself no longer needing a tutor then I cut him loose.

Although I have noticed he has been getting worse emotionally. Sure most times he would appear happy during our sessions but I knew it was a facade. I would ask him how he was and if things were getting better. And he would lie, telling me things were getting “chipper”, as he would say. He can put the biggest smile on his face and lie through his teeth but he hid nothing from me.

Any pony would see a happy stallion tutoring without a care in the world. But when he was sitting next to me I could sense all of the negative emotions pouring out of him. Page was in a emotional rut and he tried his best to put on a brave face. But I have noticed one thing, he has been improving. Ever since a few weeks ago I felt the improvement, he was legitimately happy if only a little bit.

So something was brightening up his days, but what?

But before I ramble anymore on about that heap of emotional baggage lets go back on track shall we? As I said school is going smoothly and mother has sent me on my fifth scouting mission. Or has it been my sixth? I don't know for sure, the days are blending together now and I lose track of the boring days. But unlike my previous missions mother insisted I take Gynaephora along with me.

Of course I protested, I would rather go back to hatchling school instead of team up with that raggedy whorse. But mother threatened to end my trial to be queen then and there. So with a disgruntled resign I accepted and now I am sneaking with my cohort.

Our objective was to scout out a barrack full of guards assigned specifically to the changeling checkpoints. Get in to brain wash the captain named Grunt as well as his lieutenants and get out. Well that was how it was supposed to go. But of course the universe likes to buck with me, so on our way to the barracks we caught the attention of two guards. The drunk fools saw us and mistook us for a pair of “working mares” and approached us.

And what do two drunken guards do in a situation like this? They began cat calling us and nearly groped poor Gynny. My plan was simply to cast a sleeping spell and be done with them. But my idiot sister had another idea. She grabbed the nearest blunt object and whacked them both when they weren't looking. The poor bastards screamed out in pain but quickly went out like a light.

Like a flash we both took to the shadows and waited to see if anypony would come investigate. And now here we are, sitting in a dirty alleyway with two loose ends to take care off.

“At least this wasn't a total screw up, we can disguise ourselves and take their places”, I mulled over the situation. Disguised as these two guards will make it easier for us to sneak in, no need to seduce anypony guarding outside if need be. Gynaephora nodded in agreement as she approached the unconscious drunkards. With a flick of her horn she removed their armor with ease. Floating the uniforms in a neat pile to the side.

“Interesting, one mare and one stallion. Didn't know they let mares in the royal guard to be honest”, my sister said curiously. She was right, one of them was indeed a mare, she looked fair enough. Purple fur,white mane and a very stereotypical guard cutie mark. A sword and shield, how original. The male looked more like a guard, brown in color with a black mane. His cutie mark was a bubbling flagon, explains his drunkenness I suppose.

“Dibs on the mare! You can get the other one dear sister”, Gynaephora mused, prodding the sleeping mare as she did.

“At least make it fair sister, how about a duel? A rock paper scissors match for the disguises. Loser gets the stallion and vice versa”, in a instant Gynaephora agreed. Flaring her horn with her magic at the ready. I readied my magic as well and counted down from ten. As soon as I said zero we both materialized our chosen weapons. Gynaephora chose rock, and I paper. This would be easy after all.

“Gods damnit!”, I lost, horribly so with two to one. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so cocky. Gynaephora just cackled, laughing it up as she disguised as her prize. With a very disgruntled sigh I strode over to the stallion and cast the spell of change. Feeling the last of the flames die out I stretched my out my new form.

I felt bulky, rigid and sported a new hanging weight on my loins. Ugh how males deal with this constant sensation I shall never know. Let me tell you that the reason I absolutely hate disguising myself as a male is because of the extra baggage. And feeling every little breeze against my new nethers made me feel just bucking uncomfortable. For those of you wondering about changeling transformations, yes everything is changed to the littlest detail. A disguise has to be convincing after all, no?

“Oh get over it sister, you should be used to this sort of thing by now. Now get over here and suit up before anypony comes by”, Gynaephora ordered, if only I didn't need her conscious to do this mission. I did as she commanded and put on the uniform. Normally both changelings and Ponies alike don't wear clothes. But I was relieved to wear something to cover my male extremities. The uniform itself was a black chain mail body suit, accompanied with rounded pauldrons resting on the shoulders.

“At least these things come in black, however the helmet leaves much to be desired. But anyways here”, Gynaephora mused, passing me the stallions helmet. Now the helmet design was odd, it looked like the ordinary helmets the guards wore except for it having a crystal gem surrounded by glyphs embedded on the forehead. I shrugged it off as a design choice and put it on. But as soon as I did I felt my body go stiff and I felt my own will slipping away.

“No way, these suits can't....”, I muttered as I tried to cast a spell, only for it to just fizzle out and fail. These uniforms have been enchanted to block magic, the crystal and glyphs make sense now. I looked over to Gynaephora who was also attempting to cast magic. I calmed myself and thought, these suits are most likely used to counter any magic from changeling attackers. However my sister wasn't taking this well, the look on her face would have been priceless if the situation wasn't so serious.

“Are you bucking kidding me? This makes things ten times more difficult now!”, Gynaephora cursed, a vein pulsed visibly on her forehead.

“Quiet you idiot! We can't use magic and that is alright, we will just have to improvise now”, I explained hoping to calm the raving diva. After a full minute of her yelling obscenities she calmed down and we went along to the barracks. Of course before we left I put a memory loss spell on the guards in the alley. When they wake up they will believe they passed out from being drunk and some thief pilfered their armor. It didn't take long for us to arrive to the barracks and past the guards outside.

Once inside we had found that the interior of the barracks resembled a college dorm pigsty. There were rows and rows of messy bunk beds along with trash littering literally every inch of the facility. The floor was sticky with something that I hoped it wasn't what I think it was. In corner of the room there was a guard dancing clumsily corner mumbling something about a killer party. And by the gods the smell, it was beyond rank.

“Looks like we missed one wild party eh?”, Gynaephora whistled.

“Now wild would just be a understatement, lets just find the captain and his lackeys shall we?”, I said while I navigated the mess. Taking very careful steps as to not accidentally step in the viscous gunk on the floor. Both Gynaephora and I carefully made our way through, but before we even made it halfway past the gunk minefield a voice called out from behind us.

“Hey Schnapps your here a little bit late!”, we both turned around to see a rather large stallion accompanied by two others. Judging by their uniforms and emblems its safe to say we found our targets.

“What took you and Riposte so long to get back? You missed one hell of a orgy!”, the stallion I assumed who was Grunt chortled as he came over to us. Well that explains the smell in here at least. Grunt's steps along with those of the other two stallions were unbalanced, nearly falling over several times as he went. Now this should be easy, three piss drunk targets, child's play. After a amusing display of jerky movement the lumbering stallion stopped in front of me. He was nearly two heads higher than me, gods what do they feed the guards here to make them this big?

“Now I should report you for arriving late, I suppose you had a good reason honey?”, his gruff voice smelled of alcohol. I assume the “honey” part was the alcohol talking so I just humored him with a salute.

“Sir, Riposte and I were detaining a pair of dru-hmp!?”, in an instant his lips were on mine. His tongue brushing against my teeth greedily. Frankly I was shocked, not knowing if I should return it or not. I looked to Gynaephora who gave me a look screaming, “just go with it”, and so I did. Ugh he was a terrible kisser, flopping his tongue against mine clumsily. It lasted for a few moments before the big oaf pulled away and chuckled. I heard my sister stifle a giggle, yeah laugh it up you idiot.

“Ya still know how to swap spit Schnappy, oh I missed ya my little pony you!”, the stallion bellowed as he grabbed me in a bear hug. Great, I lost a bet to get this disguise and it just so happens that I am impersonating Grunt's colt friend. At least it made me think of a plan to get these three fools alone. And that plan was to seduce this colt cuddler and his hopefully open minded lackeys.

“I missed you too my big strong ragga muffin, I hope you still have some energy for some fun hm?”, I laid out the charms on the big oaf, brushing my tail against the tip of his snout for good effort.

“Ohoho! You are being more forward than usual Schnappy, wanna be up front about it tonight eh?”, I nodded, giving him my best bedroom eyes.

“Oh yes, and I want it to be extra special tonight, how about we have a little orgy of our own? Lets bring those boys behind you as well as ol Riposte here for a little get together”, now that got their attention, all three of the fools drooled at the thought. How uncivilized.

“Now your talkin! Here that fellas? Ya'll get to see why I keep Schnappy around! C'mere you!”, he lunged out to grab me but I side stepped the clumsy drunkard.

“Uh uh, how bout we go somewhere more private? Maybe your office? I don't feel comfortable rutting out in the open dear”, I sang in a sing song voice all the while flashing my plot towards the trio. Thankfully they nodded in unison and moved, beckoning towards my sister and I to follow. And so we did, closely following the three stooges to Grunt's office.

“So, are we really going to buck them or are you just playing them like the drunk violins they are dear sister?”, Gynaephora sounded a bit too enthusiastic as she whispered in my ear. Typical Gynaephora, always putting sex first instead of important goals.

“You can sate your desires another day, tramp. As soon as we get to the seclusion of his office we strip off this cursed armor and strike, understood?”, Gynaephora bit her lip in anger and nodded. Moments later we found ourselves in Grunt's office, locked in and alone with three horny drunks. As I expected Grunt's office was typical to that of a muscle head. Cans of beer along with dumbbells littered the floor as well as magazines I wouldn't be caught dead reading, it had a desk and besides that it was very generic. But compared to that mess outside, his office could be considered spotless.

“Lets take these uniforms off shall we?”, not even a second later Grunt and his companions stripped, thank fully leaving on their undergarments. Why would a pony wear undergarments? I would guess it was regulation but that was besides the point. We followed suit and removed our armor, immediately feeling the affects of the magic block lifting off of my senses. All that was left was to put these fools in a trance, cast the spell and go home.

I approached Grunt while my sister took on the two lieutenants, sauntering our way to our targets. Gynaephora looked to me, a smirk on her lips as she nodded for the okay to go. I nodded back and attacked. It happened in the blink of an eye, my disguise was gone and I was now on top of a very confused Grunt. Looking over to my sister I saw she fared well, she had the two lieutenants in her magical grasp, floating them in the air.

“W-What's goin on? Wheres Schnappy?”, Grunt slurred as he struggled against my grip, absolute fear in his eyes. I chuckled darkly. I relished these moments, the moment where the prey realizes he just bucked up and there was nothing he could do about it. Nothing is more gratifying then showing off who is the apex predator.

“Shhh, forget about Schnappy and listen to my voice”, I cooed into his ear. I lowered my horn and touched it to his forehead and seeped my influence into his mind. Grunt struggled as hard as he could, but it wasn't hard enough. My magic was busy working its way into his system, slowly turning his own body against him. It wasn't long until he was completely immobile, for such a strong stallion he was incredibly weak willed.

Pained cries erupted from Gynaephora's corner, looks like she wasn't being gentle in her subjugation. Hopefully she holds herself back from injuring them permanently, mother ordered for them to be more or less unharmed.

“Now, look into my eyes and tell me you would follow me, tell me you would do anything to please me”, I whispered, gazing deeply into Grunt's auburn eyes. Slowly his eyes lost that lively flair he had just moments ago replaced with a dead look. His eyes glazed over and his lips curled into a dumb smile.

“Anything for you mistress”, his said with a dead pan voice. With a chuckle I stepped off of Grunt and removed the binding spell. He wobbled to his feet and bowed to me.

“What is thy bidding my mistress?”, the entrancement spell did have the odd effect of making anypony affected sound a bit more refined. Personally I like captain Grunt better this way, nice and obedient.

“You will go about your business here as usual, however you will obey the command of anyling that relays the catch phrase ouroboros. When that happens I expect you to be obedient to them like you are to me. You will be aiding a wondrous cause, do I make myself clear?”, I explained, circling Grunt as I did.

“Yes mistress, I will do as you say”, Grunt nodded, banging his hoof against his chest. Now with Grunt done I turned my attention to Gynaephora. I was pleased to see that her two targets where just as enraptured as Grunt. She muttered something to the two lieutenants and received a salute in return. Then they both laid themselves on the ground and closed their eyes. Moments later they were snoring.

I may as well do the same to Grunt. As pleasant as it is to have a slave at my every whim the mission comes first.

“Good, now go to sleep and when you wake up you will go about your days normally. You will take Schnapps on a wonderful date when you meet him tomorrow as well. Oh, and only activate upon hearing the code word”, I commanded with a stomp of my hoof. What? Even though he is a tool for mother's plans he has the right to be happy as any sentient should. And the real Schnapps needs something to brighten up his mood when he wakes with that nasty bump on his head.

Grunt's response was a single dumb nod as he did as I said. Falling sound asleep immediately as he came in contact with the floor. Well that went a little differently then I originally planned but the job was done. All three targets are under our control and are ready for deployment whenever mother wishes it. And no detections either, well technically the alleyway doesn't count so shush you.

“Well done sister, time to go home then? I have a harem waiting for me back home and I have kept them waiting long enough”, my sister announced shamelessly. If I was anypony else I would probably do a spit take or feel more flustered than a virgin in a brothel. But I resorted to just rolling my eyes and gagging.

“I didn't need to know that, ugh the very idea of those poor stallions alone with you. I wouldn't wish a fate like that on anypony or anyling for that matter”, I scoffed, transforming myself back into Schnapps. Gynaephora did the same, assuming Riposte's from, but not without bitching of course.

“You are just jealous that nopony would be caught dead with you dear sister. Everyling knows that every male loves short hair and a horn curved like mine!”, if I had a bit for every time my sister's comments made me roll my eyes I would have a fortune.

“Yes, because you totally didn't entrance them with a love spell. If you approached with your so called flawless exterior anypony would run for the hills”, I retorted flatly. Gynaephora opened her mouth to speak but shut it choosing to just glare silently. That one shut her up, even she knows her “beauty” can only take her so far. There wasn't much talking between us as we left the barracks. Only saying our good byes, albeit a little passive aggressively, as we went our separate ways.

Before I knew it I was back in my apartment and found it in one piece. I let out a sigh of relief, usually Medley and Squelch would leave this place a complete mess from their excursions. After a quick poke around the apartment I found Squelch disguised and asleep with Medley in his bed. I had to admit they looked adorable holding each other in their hooves like that. With a wistful sigh I put on my Flare persona in case of Medley waking, made some coffee and began writing a letter to mother.

“Hello mother! I wish to inform you that the mission was a success. Captain Grunt and his lackeys have been turned into sleeper agents as you requested. That should make it even easier for our agents to slip inside and keep watch on the goings on here. In time we will have full coverage over the checkpoint security guard! But I have a question mother if you don't mind me asking, what is your plan exactly?”

I stopped writing for a moment, carefully deciding my choice of words. If I don't write this correctly mother will most likely slip into one of her episodes again.

“I simply wish to know if this has anything to do with those plans you mentioned in your last letter. You may recall I asked you about it and you said we would speak of it later. And well it is later, one month, three days to be exact. But I merely jest, if you do not wish to speak of it I understand. These are just the ramblings of your favorite daughter showing concern is all.”

Stopping to take a sip of my coffee and a short review of what I wrote I returned to scribbling away.

“But enough about my mission, I am sure you would love to hear about my progress this past month in college. I am happy to say that I have improved greatly since my last progress report! And it is all thanks to a tutor that has been teaching me all sorts of tips and tricks during our lessons. Who is this pony you may ask? Well remember that stallion Page, the one that I told you about in my previous letters that was the troubled heap of baggage? Well we have been meeting up regularly every week for our lessons, I can't deny that he is quite talented as a tutor.”

I clucked my tongue as I wrote Page's name, that poor colt needs to find some outlet for his emotions before he gets swallowed up by them. That and he is giving me migraines whenever he slips into depression around me.

“But all in all things are going well for me here. So how are things back in the Citadel mother? Has anything juicy turned up over there? Perhaps you have taken a liking to one of your many suitors finally? Please let me know, you know I miss our talks of gossip mother and we have a month to catch up! So with that said I want you to know that I miss you very much, and please don't take a month to write back okay? Sincerely Chryssy.”

A quick tucking of the letter in a envelope I placed it flat on the coffee table and burned it. I hope mother writes back quickly, it bothers me she isn't writing as often as she used too. I guess she must be busy, being the queen of an entire city of millions can be exhausting. I just hope she is doing okay over there. Suddenly there was a knock on the door, I looked to the clock. Half past twelve, who in the world is knocking at this hour?

Fluttering from my comfy couch and to the door I swung it open and prepared an onslaught of insults. But what I saw instantly changed my mood. Standing there was Page, his eyes bloodshot with tears. He was shaking and his right hoof was dripping with blood.

“Page? Whats wrong? Are you hurt?”, I asked worriedly. Page's lips quivered, he choked back tears before clearing his throat.

“Y-Yes I am h-hurt, c-can I p-p-please come in? I l-l-lost the k-keys to my apartment....”, he said stuttering. Before he could say another word he stumbled, falling forward. With a quick grab I caught him in my hooves and dragged him inside. Locking the door behind me I pulled him over onto the couch. While laying him down I noticed a gash running along his right wrist but stopping suddenly on his forearm. Oh gods don't tell me he tried doing what I think we has was doing.

“Wait here and don't you dare move”, I quietly ordered, dashing like a mad mare for the first aid kit in the kitchen. With kit in hand I returned to Page who was huddled in a ball where I left him. Raising his head from his protective ball he looked at me, new tears running down his cheeks.

“I am so sorry, I was just....Phylum was....I'm sorry....”, he whispered weakly. I shook my head, shushing him gently.

“Page its okay, let me see”, my voice gentle and soft as I carefully held his arm in my hooves. His flesh was torn jaggedly, it definitely looked self inflicted with a shaky hoof. It was bad but it didn't look like he actually punctured his veins but it was still deep. Tearing my gaze away from the wound I opened the kit and pulled out everything. I held the antiseptic bottle carefully, hydrogen peroxide, this was going to hurt.

“Listen, I want you to be calm okay? This part is going to hurt but I want you to bear with it alright?”, I tried my best to sound calm but I found my voice wavering nervously. Page's eyes widened in fear but he nodded, closing his eyes to brace himself. I had two options, slowly pour the contents or do it all at once. I thought it was best as to not prolong the pain so I went with fast.

“One, two....”, not waiting for three I poured the substance along his wound as fast as I could. Page let out the most blood curdling scream I have ever heard, I held him down with my free hoof as best I could. A tumble and a crash came from the bedroom. Shortly after Medley and Squelch bolted in the living room.

“What the buck is going on here, oh Celestia!”, Medley gasped, Squelch said nothing, his face drained of color at the sight of blood.

“Medley! Get over here and help me damnit! And Stonewall, get me the bandages and a wet cloth!”, Medley quickly nodded and helped me hold Page still. Squelch disappeared to the kitchen and returned with wash cloth in hoof. It took Medley and my combined strength to stop Page from hurting himself but finally he stopped writhing. His breaths were heavy and short as he turned to me muttering something. I couldn't catch what it was but we could talk as much as we want later.

“Stonewall, cloth and bandages now”, my guard nodded and gave me my requested things. I began my work, lightly dabbing his wound clean of the antiseptic. Page winced but kept his mouth shut, stifling his pained whimperings.

“Flare, what happened? Who did this to Page?”, Squelch asked, plopping himself next to me as he talked. Before I could explain Medley spoke her insight.

“It looks self inflicted, honey. I think he tried to hurt himself, did he say anything about it Flare?”, I shook my head while I continued my ministrations until the last of the bubbling liquid was gone.

“There was a knock on the door and it was Page, he looked shaken up and nearly passed out so I took him in. I don't know what drove him but it definitely looks self inflicted”, I explained, placing my hooves against Page's forehead. He was burning up, this is not getting better anytime soon.

“That looks bad, he is gunna need stitches, Flare”, Squelch was right, I can't just place bandages over his wound when its like this. It will just continue to bleed nonstop. Thankfully the first aid kit had a suture pack inside. Unfortunately there wasn't any sign of numbing agent. If I didn't have to be bucking disguised I can heal this in no time with my magic.

But a idea popped in my head, Medley! She is a unicorn, hopefully she knows some medicinal spells.

“Medley I know this may be a bit late to ask, but you wouldn't happen to know any medical spells?”, I let out a sigh of relief when she nodded. Thank the gods, hopefully she knows a numbing spell. Once again I cursed the need to be disguised, this could be remedied by Squelch and I if Medley wasn't here.

“I know some spells from my first aid course in school, I think you need something to numb him right?”, Medley asked nervously as she readied a spell. I nodded once and gestured to the wound. Medley's horn glowed brightly for a moment before strings of magic poured from her and into Page's cut. A moment later the glow dissipated, his wound looked no better than it had been seconds ago but I trusted in Medley's skills. But is it enough?

As if she read my mind medley took the suture kit in her magical grasp. A look of determination addled by fear covered her features.

“Let me close the wound, I learned about this kind of thing from class kay?”, that was all I needed to know. I trusted Medley, she could do this.

“Okay, just be careful”, I muttered. She smiled nervously, that kind of smile that told you everything was going to be okay but it wasn't going to be pretty. Squelch and I watched with bated breath as she angled the needle and thread just above the skin. Slowly but surely the needle dug into the flesh, we all looked for Page's reaction but he barely flinched while he kept his eyes glued to the ceiling. We both exhaled, Medley's spell worked.

Several agonizing moments passed while the needle and surgical thread worked its way through. Criss crossing the wound in a oddly hypnotizing rhythm. Finally after what felt like hours the cut was closed and was cleaned. Page brought his gaze down from the ceiling and to his now closed wound then back to us.

“T-That didn't hurt as much as I t-thought. I kinda feel w-woozy though, urp”, Page gagged, holding a hoof over his mouth. I shook my head at him, at least the wound was closed. All that was left now was to bandage it. Without a word I took the roll of bandages in my mouth and unraveled it across his arm. At this point Medley and Squelch were up and about, talking about whether or not we should take Page to a hospital. I apposed of course, I need to know why Page did this and besides, he was in no danger now.

“We are going to have a talk, just you and me okay?”, I whispered softly so Squelch and Medley couldn't hear. Page slowly nodded, a look of worry emblazoned his expression. Tying a final knot on the bandages Page's surgery was complete. Slowly and steadily I helped Page sit up on the couch being very mindful of his injury.

“Alright Page, everything is in order, how do you feel?”, Squelch asked but dared not approach him.

“It feels a little numb, but that is to be expected from t-the spell right?”, Medley nodded, explaining it would take a few hours for the numbness to wear off. When that happens we will use the pain killers for when time that comes. The good thing is that we stopped his blood loss and he won't die from it, although he will be woozy for a while.

“So, erm Page? Why did you do this to yourself? If you don't mind me asking”, Page froze as if the question physically struck him. He started breathing fast, rocking back and forth as his eyes darted all over the room. In that very instant I did what I had to do. I hugged him, hard enough to calm him and soft enough as to not disturb his injury. I shot a glance to both Squelch and Medley, we needed privacy and now.

So the duo nodded knowingly and retreated back to the bedroom, leaving us alone in silence.

“Um, Flare you can let go I-I'm fine now, honest”, I nearly jumped when I realized I was still holding Page close. I coughed awkwardly and released him, my face felt warm. I was no doubt sporting a damn blush.

“S-So Page, tell me what happened. Take your time if you need to okay?”, Page nodded as he breathed slowly. We spent a few moments sitting together on the couch, somehow we ended up laying against each other but neither of us said anything. Simply relishing in the comforting touch between us.

“Today started out normal you know, I wake up early every day and start doing my odd jobs in town. Sure the people I worked for went out of their way to remind me about my father and some folks were more conspicuous about it. I am used to that sort of thing from hearing it my entire life, but today everypony seemed dead set on trying extra hard today for some reason. I shrugged it off and finished my last job by midday and went to meet my favorite bucking teacher, Phylum.”

He spat Phylum's name with such hatred, his emotions flared instantly and I felt it. It wasn't hard to guess that this was all Phylum's fault. I should have stopped him at this point and pushed his ass down for rest. He needed rest after what happened to him. But I had to know what happened, and so Page continued his tale.

“That bastard worked me extra hard today, making me do his paper work, archive his biology lessons and nearly everything that ten ponies could do. I know he bucking had assistants but he left the entire workload on me. He also made sure to loom the whole blackmail thing over me the entire time. Ranting about my father and how it would be disappointing for my college career to end so early in the year.”

I had heard Phylum was working Page to the bone, I just didn't think he was being that cruel. I know for a fact everypony knew what was happening to Page as well. They just let the outcast suffer without any help, cowards.

“The blackmail, what does he have on you?”, Page just laughed darkly at my question, running his free hoof through his hair roughly.

“Its funny, the blackmail is a lie he made. Its a bunch of fabricated evidences that I was cheating through all of my exams. But who is going to believe me if I said he was lying huh? And besides he already told the dean all about it and word spread to everypony, apparently I wasn't working hard enough lately and he cut me loose. It all makes sense, the reason for the extra hateful comments and attacks on me today. Phylum just put fuel on the fire and now its over for me, all my bucking work was for nothing!”

Working Page to death over blackmail was tough enough, but he made him work over a false promise . And in the end he still went and did it. Even I would never be so cruel, I never gave false hopes, resorting to the blunt and ugly truth. But Phylum just worked him until he could do no more and cut him loose. I felt a pang of guilt in my stomach, I was going to end up doing the same thing to Page. I was going to toss him aside if his tutoring couldn't hold up, I was just like Phylum.

“Tomorrow there will probably be a letter in the mail room downstairs detailing my expulsion. After all these years of working hard to try and prove the Breakwatt name means something....disappears in a flash. The pressure was too much, I couldn't take it anymore, all of this fighting for it to mean nothing. So I locked myself in my apartment and, well, took a knife and tried to end it.”

Page started to shake again, his voice cracking as he spoke. Snaking my hooves around him I brought him into my embrace, holding him against my chest. I tried my best comforting him, doing what mother always did when I was upset. I sat there caressing him until he calmed down, he tried pulling away but I just held him tighter. When he realized he wasn't going anywhere he continued his tale.

“Who was going to miss me, the outcast right? No pony bucking cared before and they wouldn't give damn if they didn't see me again. I could finally stop fighting, and everypony would be better off without me. That was what I thought as I cut myself, it hurt so bucking much. But right when I was going to finish it I stopped, one thought stopping me from committing. That there was a pony who would miss me if I was gone.”

His green eyes gazed into mine, a look of doubt flashed in his green orbs.

“I was thinking of you Flare, the only pony ever to give a damn about me was you. I know you were obligated to tutor under me but we turned into friends didn't we?”, he spoke barely above a whisper as if he spoke any higher it would scare me away. Friends, I guess that is what we had become after one month forced together.

“Yeah, but you were a pain in the ass in the beginning, Page”, I joked, ruffling his hair as I did. Page laughed weakly, laying his head against my chest and sighing.

“If one pony like you can see that I am not worthless then why give up? Flare saw that I was worth being friends with even though I was just baggage to the others. And it would disappoint her if I didn't show up for tutoring, she would probably throw a hissy fit! That was what I was thinking at the time anyway”, Page chuckled and soon I found myself laughing along with him. I would have done just that if he suddenly disappeared on me.

But our laughter was short lived, the seriousness of the situation sunk back in extinguishing the happy moment too soon. Page looked up at me from his position against my chest, a look of conflict plastered on his face.

“What I am trying to say here is that I am here, alive....because I didn't want to leave the one pony I cared about in this damn world behind. You were the other reason for me to get up in the morning, Flare”, Page poured his heart out and he meant it. His emotions flared, but in a good way, sending oddly familiar warm feelings into my senses. And right then and there I remembered where I had felt these warm sensations, the very same ones I would sense from him during our sessions. The reason he had been happier, the one thing that brightened up his day, was me.

“Sure my college days are over but at least I have somepony that gives me some kind of purpose. Just because I failed doesn't mean you have to, they can't stop me from tutoring! And hey, if I help you succeed then I can count that as the first step to prove that the Breakwatt name is worth something!”, Page exclaimed, suddenly looking a lot chipper, happy even.

“I like ya a lot Flare, I-woah the room is spinning. Oh I feel light headed, hey why are there two of you?”, Page slurred between words, his eyes rolling back into his head. I panicked but my worrying was for naught, Page was out like a light, small snoring sounds escaping his muzzle. I'm not surprised he passed out, he's been through a lot the past few hours, he deserves the rest. But one thing is bothering me, he had said he liked me and for some reason I felt guilty and....happy? I tried shrugging it off as just him being delirious when he spoke, that he didn't mean it, but even I couldn't convince myself.

His emotions flowed freely into me and I felt every single thing. Page cared deeply for me and I didn't know what to do. My first thought was to cut him loose, but how could I? Not after this, it would only make Page worse off then he is now. And as cold as this sounds, I can't have my meal ticket to queenhood dying on me. But it wasn't just that, I felt a part of myself grow attached to him emotionally.

At first I thought it was just student camaraderie but now I am not so sure. I always told myself and my underlings never to fall for your target. And here I am, finding myself starting to like this stallion. I am such a bloody hypocrite, if Squelch found out I would never hear the end of it. But I would spend hours here thinking about this crap so I filed it away for consulting later. Perhaps mother can help me somehow?

With a sigh I brought my attention back to the broken stallion in my hooves. He looked so peaceful, so fragile, like the smallest gust of wind would blow him away from me. In a sense he was, he was a mess now emotionally. I would have to keep a close eye on him from now on to make sure he doesn't risk his life again. Tomorrow I will tell Squelch and Medley to help keep close watch for the next few weeks.

And his college situation, I should have let it go and let him give up like he wanted. But something burned inside me for revenge, the part of me that wanted Phylum to suffer. The rational part of me screamed for me to ignore it, to go about my days as if nothing happened. But I silenced those thoughts and embraced the lust for vengeance. I will make sure that Page gets back into college, I'm sure a small “chat” with Phylum will change his mind.

“Do not worry Page, everything will be all right”, I whispered, planting a light kiss upon his cheek. Letting out a tired yawn I curled up against Page, still being mindful of his injury. I slept soundly that night, dreams of Page, and visions of Phylum's demise swam through my mind as I slept.

Looking back on that night I still couldn't tell you why I was suddenly so protective. It was like a flip was switched and I couldn't turn it off. Like a instinct inside of me was turned on to the maximum and the only way to quench it was with justification for Page. Perhaps it was my sudden attachment with Page, or perhaps I was fed up with that pink haired buffoon interfering with my tools for success. Maybe it was a mixture of both, but what happened next nearly ruined all of the work I had done here.

What happened you ask? To put it simply I bucked up and things went sour fast. For the first time, I the powerful Chrysalis Queen to be, was frightened for somepony's well being besides my own. And I nearly lost those I held dear because of my actions. Lets just say that the following week got unnecessarily exciting.

Author's Note:

Boy things are getting a little hectic for Chrysalis and co huh? Anyways It has been a while since my last chapter and I apologize for that one guys. Things have been a little bit hectic over here but I finally finished this chapter for you all. Now as I have mentioned in my previous author's notes i said college was starting up for me this week. Rest assured that this won't stop me from writing the story, but I will make sure to put a chapter out every week for you guys! I guess quality over quantity applies here so be patient everyone! I promise to make these chapters longer for the wait. And with that said I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter and I hope you have a wonderful day folks! Oh and sorry if there are errors in the writing, typing at 4 in morning does that to me! Anyways stay tuned for more!