• Published 12th Aug 2013
  • 6,811 Views, 114 Comments

The Young Prince - Bluecatcinema



The adventures of Dusk Glow, son of Twilight Sparkle and Flash Sentry.

  • ...
9
 114
 6,811

Plus One

It was a beautiful summer's day in Ponyville. Dusk dashed for the front door, planning to play with his friends at the park, but was stopped by his parents.

"Not so fast, kiddo." Flash declared.

"What's up?" Dusk asked.

"If you're going outside, take you sister with you." Twilight told him. "Your father, Spike and I have a lot of meetings today, and we can't leave Starlight here on her own."

"But, mom, I'm going to go hang out with my friends!" Dusk protested.

"No 'buts', mister." Twilight said sternly.

"Yes, mom." Dusk cringed.

"Starlight, can you come down here, sweetie?" Flash called.

"Coming daddy!" Starlight yelled back. She hovered down the stairs, her wings only just keeping her airborne. "What's up?"

"How would you like to spend the day with your brother?" Flash smiled.

"I'd love to!" Starlight beamed.

"That settles it, then." Twilight smiled. "Have fun, you two."

"Hoo!" Owlowiscious hooted.

"She said 'two', not 'hoo'!" Spike admonished the horned owl.

Starlight giggled.

"Let's go, squirt." Dusk sighed.

"Right behind you." Starlight nodded.

As they made their way to the park, Dusk was silently griping about being made a foalsitter. Meanwhile, Starlight could barely continue her excitement.

"I'm gonna be playing with big ponies!" She cheered.

"That's right, we are big ponies." Dusk agreed. "And you're a little pony. You need to be careful. Big pony games can get a little rough."

"Please." Starlight snorted. "I can handle myself. It's not like you're all gonna be swordfighting, or something..."

"Very funny, squirt." Dusk ruffled his sister's mane.

Dusk's friends were already at the park, waiting for him.

"Hey, Dusk." Crab nodded.

"What's with the kid?" Thunder asked.

"Mom and dad are busy today, so they told me to bring her along." Dusk sighed.

"Hello, Starlight." Dazzle cooed. "Aren't you the most adorable little filly?"

"Thanks." Starlight blushed.

"Would you like to play with us, Starlight?" Honeysuckle asked.

"'Course she does!" Rainbow chuckled. "Right, kiddo?"

"Right." Starlight nodded.

"Ooh, goody!" Purple whooped. "Now that Starlight's here, we finally have enough to play a fillies against colts game of soccer!"

"Soccer?" Dusk asked. "You sure we should, with a little filly around?"

"Oh, hush." Dazzle chuckled. "It'll be fine."

"That's what I told him." Starlight smirked.

And so the game began. Rainbow had the ball, but Thunder snatched it away.

"Too slow, sis!" He chided.

"We'll see about that, bro!" Rainbow took the ball back. "Hah!"

"Hey!" Thunder protested. "Get back here!"

Thunder cornered Rainbow. There was nowhere to go (The kids had agreed beforehoof that flying wasn't allowed).

"Star, you're up!" Rainbow yelled, passing the ball to Starlight.

"Got it!" Starlight caught the ball with her hoof. She started running enthusiastically down the field. A little too enthusiastically, it turned out; She accidentally stood on the ball, tripping hard. "Ow!"

"Whoa, time out!" Dusk called, rushing over to his sister. "You okay, squirt?"

"I'm fine." Starlight winced, as she got back up.

"No, you're not." Dusk spotted a bruise on Starlight's leg. "Aw geez, look at that! Mom and dad are gonna kill me!"

"Relax, Dusk." Honeysuckle stepped forward to examine the wound. "It's just a scratch."

"That's it." Dusk decided. "You're sitting the rest of this game out. I can't afford to let you get hurt again."

"I'm not made of glass, Dusk!" Starlight protested. "You don't have to treat me like I'm going to break!"

"That's what big brothers do." Dusk told her. "They protect their little sisters."

"I don't need to be protected." Starlight huffed. "I can take care of myself."

"You're to sit on the sidelines until the game is over." Dusk insisted. "And that's a big brother order. Understand?"

"Fine." Starlight pouted, walking over to a nearby bench.

Dusk returned to the others.

"Bit much, don't you think?" Crab asked.

"It's for the best." Dusk declared. "She could have gotten hurt worse."

"Yeah, right." Thunder snorted. "How?"

"Let's get back to the game, guys." Dusk said, pretending he hadn't heard him.

Even with a member missing, the fillies gave the colts a run for the money. From her vantage point on the bench, Starlight watched the others play, pouting all the while. Eventually, the game ended with a close win from the colts.

"Good game, everypony." Dusk smiled.

Starlight walked over to him.

"Can we go home, Dusk?" She asked.

"Home?" Dusk asked. "Why?"

"Because this is no fun." Starlight sighed. "I thought hanging out with you and your friends would be great, but all you've done is keep me out of the action."

"For your own good." Dusk informed her.

"Whatever." Starlight turned her back on him and walked back to the bench.

"Smooth, Dusk." Rainbow shook her head. "Maybe you should have just rolled her up in bubblewrap instead."

"I was just-" Dusk spluttered.

"Being a big party-pooper!" Purple admonished him.

"No pony likes to be left out, you know." Honeysuckle agreed. "Poor Starlight must have been so bored just sitting there while the rest of us had fun. If the situation were reversed, you probably wouldn't have liked it either."

"Maybe you're right..." Dusk scratched his head guiltily.

"Of course we are." Dazzle nodded. "Now, I think an apology is in order."

"Wait up, Starlight!" Dusk followed after his sister. "Look, I'm sorry I took you out of the game."

"Really?" Starlight said harshly.

"Really." Dusk nodded. "I was just trying to keep you safe. If anything happened to you, I'd never forgive myself."

"Well, that's dumb." Starlight declared. "Things happen to me all the time. If they didn't, I'd have a pretty dull life."

"Good point, squirt." Dusk chuckled. "Tell you what: I'll let you join in the next game, on one condition."

"Which is?" Starlight asked warily.

"You play on my team." Dusk smirked, holding out his hoof. "Deal?"

"Deal." Starlight bumped hooves with her brother.

The siblings joined the others in another soccer game. Partway through, Dusk tripped, faceplanting in the grass.

"Maybe you should sit this one out, Dusk." Starlight teased. "I can't afford to let you get hurt again!"

"Funny, squirt." Dusk spat out some blades of grass. "Real funny."

The kids played late into the afternoon. As they returned home, Dusk carried the exhausted Starlight on his back. As they entered the library, they found their parents and Spike already home.

"Welcome home, darlings." Twilight smiled.

"So, how was your day?" Flash asked as he lifted Starlight up.

"It wasn't so good at first, but it got better." Starlight smiled.

"Wait." Twilight squinted at Starlight's leg. "Is that a bruise?"

"Yeah, I tripped." Starlight shrugged. "But I'm okay."

"That's my tough little gal." Flash smiled proudly, giving his daughter a hug before putting her back down.

"She sure is." Dusk agreed. "Sorry I didn't see it sooner."

"That's okay." Starlight smiled. "It's kinda nice to know you're looking out for me."

"And I always will." Dusk smiled. "That's what big brothers do."

"You're the best big brother ever." Starlight hugged Dusk.

"Thanks, squirt." Dusk hugged her back.

"Awww." Spike cooed. "Anypony know where the camera is? I wanna record this moment."

Twilight floated over the camera from across the room. Dusk and Starlight indulged Spike as he pointed it at them, still hugging tightly as the picture was taken.

"That's a keeper." Spike chuckled.

Dusk and Starlight chuckled lightly, their sibling bond as strong as ever.