• Published 12th Aug 2013
  • 6,794 Views, 114 Comments

The Young Prince - Bluecatcinema



The adventures of Dusk Glow, son of Twilight Sparkle and Flash Sentry.

  • ...
9
 114
 6,794

Love, Ponyville Style

Dusk was currently fourteen. He had grown from a little colt into a handsome young stallion. He wasn't aware of it, but he often turned the heads of mares his own age. At the moment, he was helping Dazzle and her parents set up for a fashion show.

"Nice of you to help, young prince." Orion smiled. He usually handled the administrational side of Carousel Boutique's affairs, but wasn't averse to putting in some legwork when the situation demanded it.

"It's nothing, really." Dusk shrugged, as he used his magic to arrange some chairs. "Just because I'm royalty doesn't mean I'm not up for some old-fashioned manual labor."

"So charitable." Orion chuckled. "I can think of a certain prince who could learn a thing or two from you."

"Who?" Dusk asked.

"I'm not at liberty to divulge." Orion declared. "But I will say his name rhymes with 'rueblood'."

"Okay, ready!" Dazzle called, having been trying on the dress she was going to wear while behind the curtain.

As Dazzle emerged, Dusk's eyes widened, and his jaw dropped. She was wearing a silvery gown with gold trimmings. A stream of pearls hung around her neck. Her mane had been changed from it's usual ringlets to a single pink curtain flowing down the back sides of her neck. She wore makeup, but not much; Just enough to accentuate her natural beauty. As she walked elegantly down the runway, Dusk felt as if the world had gone into slow-motion.

"Well, what do you think?" She asked.

Dusk didn't answer, instead smiling widely.

"Dusk?" Dazzle asked. "Dusk!"

"W-what?" Dusk stuttered, as the world suddenly returned to normal.

"How do I look?" Dazzle asked, a little annoyed.

"You look great." Dusk found himself saying. "Really amazing."

"Ohh, you're sweet." Dazzle beamed. "And always such a good friend."

As Dazzle smiled at him, Dusk felt a strange sensation in his stomach.

"You look beautiful, darling." Orion sid proudly.

"Of course she does." Rarity tittered. "Like mother, like daughter."

"Oh, stop." Dazzle said humbly.

"Thank you for all your help, Dusk." Rarity smiled. "But if I'm not mistaken, it's dinnertime. We wouldn't dream of keeping you from a meal."

"Thanks, miss Rarity." Dusk nodded.

As Dusk departed, he cast a look back at Dazzle. She waved at him, causing the feeling in his stomach to appear again.

Back home, Dusk was idly picking at his food. For some reason, he couldn't take his mind off Dazzle.

"Is something wrong, Dusk?" Twilight asked. "You haven't touched your dinner."

"Not wrong." Dusk shook his head. "Just... weird."

"What's weird, pal?" Flash asked.

"I was over at Dazzle's, helping her family out with that big fashion show." Dusk explained. "Then she came out in this fancy dress, and... I don't know what happened then. I couldn't stop looking at her, and I got this strange feeling in my stomach."

"A warm, tingly feeling?" Twilight inquired.

"Exactly." Dusk nodded.

"I think I see the problem." Twilight smiled sagely. "You've got a crush on Dazzle."

"What?!" Dusk spluttered. "No, I don't!"

"Yes, you do!" Starlight butted in. "You looooove her!"

"Zip it, squirt!" Dusk said hotly.

"You love her, you love her, you really, really love her!" Starlight sang.

"Starlight, stop teasing your brother." Flash said, a wry half-smile on his muzzle.

"Okay, daddy." Starlight pouted.

"I don't blame you, kiddo." Spike told Dusk. "The little lady does come from good stock, after all..."

"But Dazzle and I are friends." Dusk bemoaned. "We've known each other since we were foals."

"Sometimes friendship grows into love." Twilight noted. "Just ask Pinkie Pie and Cherry Fizzy.

"But I don't have a clue if Dazzle feels the same way." Dusk pointed out. "What if she doesn't, and I come along, spouting all this stuff about a crush? It'll make things weird between us, and our friendship will never be the same."

"That may happen." Flash nodded. "But it might not."

"You know, son, when I fell for your father, I worried about whether or not being with him was a good idea." Twilight stated. "I actually told him we shouldn't even attempt a relationship."

"Whoa, really?" Dusk gasped. "What changed your mind?"

"Your aunt Cadance." Twilight smiled. "She encouraged me to give it a try. She told me that love was about feeling, not thinking. So I found your father, we talked, and the rest is history."

"Maybe that worked for you, mom." Dusk sighed. "But it might not work for me. Worse, what if we do start dating, and then we break up? It would ruin our friendship!"

"True friendship is strong enough to withstand anything." Twilight smiled. "Trust me. I know what I'm talking about."

"I don't know..." Dusk sighed.

"You should at least talk to Dazzle about this." Flash suggested. "You don't want to spend the rest of your life wondering what could have been."

"Flash's right." Spike nodded. "Take it from a guy who's been there. You don't wanna leave matters of the heart unresolved."

"Okay, fine." Dusk sighed. "If it'll get all of you off my back, I'll go talk to Dazzle tomorrow. I just hope I don't mess it up..."

The next day, at school, Dusk looked around for Dazzle. To his dismay, he found her in close proximity to a brawny, good-looking young earth pony stallion.

"Hey gorgeous, you doin' anything tonight?" The stallion smarmed.

Anger like Dusk had never known swelled up inside him. He stepped forward, intending to give the stallion a piece of his mind.

"Actually, yes, I am." Dazzle declared. "So sorry."

"Fair enough." The stallion shrugged. "'Til next time, hot stuff."

Dusk's anger abated, but he still glared after the stallion's retreating form. At that point, Dazzle noticed.

"Good morning, Dusk." She smiled.

"Morning." Dusk smiled nervously. "I hope that guy wasn't giving you any trouble."

"Nothing a little fib couldn't cure." Dazzle smirked. "As if I'd have anything to do with an pompous musclehead like him."

Even without the dress and the makeup, Dazzle looked more beautiful then Dusk recalled her ever being. He found himself thinking that her eyes looked like perfect sapphires.

"So... how was the fashion show?" He asked tentatively.

"Fantastic." Dazzle smiled. "Mom got a lot of new clients afterwards."

"That's great." Dusk nodded. He decided to just go for it. "So, I was wondering... you wanna go and get a smoothie after school?"

"Oh, you mean with the others?" Dazzle asked.

"No." Dusk said, his nervousness reaching critical levels. "I-I mean, just you and me. The two of us. Alone."

"Why, Dusk Glow." Dazzle smiled coquettishly. "Are you asking me out on a date?"

"I know, it's a stupid idea." Dusk sighed. "Forget I said any-"

Dazzle pressed a hoof against Dusk's lips, silencing him.

"I didn't say 'no'..." She chuckled.

"So, you'll go with me?" Dusk smiled.

"Of course." Dazzle smiled. "But I have to drop something off at home first. Pick me up?"

"Okay!" Dusk said, a little louder then he intended to.

Dazzle laughed at Dusk's enthusiasm. It sounded to the young prince like a set of musical notes.

After school, Dusk dropped off his books at home, then dashed over to Carousel Boutique. His family looked on as he speeded off.

"I think I can guess how things went down today." Flash commented, sharing a knowing smile with Twilight.

On Dusk's arrival at the Boutique, it was Orion who answered the door.

"Ah, young prince." He smiled. "To what do we owe the pleasure?"

"I'm here to pick up Dazzle." Dusk explained. "We're going for a smoothie."

"Just the two of you?" Orion said shrewdly.

"Uh... yeah." Dusk admitted.

"Not unlike... a date?" Orion prompted.

"You could say that." Dusk gulped.

A shrill gasp emitted from nearby, followed by Rarity dashing to the door.

"Did I hear you correctly?" She squealed. "Is Dusk going on a date with my little girl?"

"It's not that big a deal, mother." Dazzle sighed as she came downstairs, a cashmere scarf around her neck.

"You're right." Rarity agreed. "It's a tremendously huge deal!!"

Dazzle rolled her eyes.

"Dusk, a word, please?" Orion pulled Dusk over to the corner. "I probably don't even need to tell you this, given your impeccable moral character, but I will, anyway. You must treat my daughter the way she deserves. If not, well.... prince or no prince, you will be sorry. Do I make myself clear?"

"Perfectly clear." Dusk nodded.

"Easy now, daddy." Dazzle chuckled. "We all know Dusk is a true gentlecolt."

"I know." Orion said bashfully. "I just wanted to make sure."

"Have fun, you two little darlings." Rarity smiled.

The two young ponies went to Sugarcube Corner. Taking their seats at a table near the back, they ordered their smoothies from Mr. Cake. While they waited, they sat together nervously.

"So... this isn't weird for you, or anything?" Dusk asked.

"Of course not." Dazzle smiled. "Why would it be weird?"

"Sorry." Dusk shrugged. "I just... don't want to mess this up."

The two sat silently for a moment, during which their smoothies were brought over.

"Dusk, I have a confession to make." Dazzle declared. "I've had a crush on you since we were little."

"You have?" Dusk gasped, dumbfounded. "I never would've guessed."

"I kept it to myself." Dazzle admitted. "I didn't want to risk damaging our friendship."

"That's what I thought, too." Dusk declared. "Then my family gave me all this advice about 'following my heart' and 'not leaving anything unresolved', so I decided to take a chance and ask you out."

"Well, what a happy coincidence that was." Dazzle smiled, leaning against Dusk. Blushing fiercely, Dusk put a forelg around Dazzle's shoulders.

"We shouldn't be worrying too much about what might happen." Dusk declared. "We should keep our minds on the now. And for now, this feels... right."

"Hear, hear." Dazzle murmured.

And even if it doesn't last, we'll always be friends." Dusk added.

"Of course we will." Dazzle smiled. "You won't be getting rid of me that easily."

At that moment, Gold Chain and Silver Plate entered Sugarcube Corner.

"Well, well." Gold smirked. "What have we here? Is the prince out on a date?"

"Get lost, you two." Dusk snarled.

"Yes." Dazzle nodded. "This is none of your business."

"Why her, exactly?" Silver snorted. "Why bother with a commoner, when you could date a more refined, influential mare, like me?"

"That's none of your-" Dusk started to retort, then stopped. "Wait, you want me to date you?"

"Uh, no!" Silver blushed fiercely. "Why would I want to date a loser like you? Even a cute one... I mean, later, loser!"

Silver dashed out of the door.

"Hey, wait up, sis!" Gold called as he followed after her.

"Well, that was weird." Dusk said awkwardly.

"Yes, it was." Dazzle agreed. "And it's about to get weirder."

Dusk's friends entered the Corner.

"Oh, no." Dusk groaned.

"Hey, Dusk." Crab noted. "Daz."

"Why didn't you tell us you were going for smoothies?" Purple asked. "We would've come with!"

"I don't think they wanted us to." Honeysuckle said sagely.

"Wait, are you guys..." Thunder asked.

"Kinda." Dusk shrugged.

"No way!" Rainbow chortled. "Dusk and Dazzle! You two smooched yet?"

Rainbow started making kissing noises, while Thunder and Purple chuckled lightly, to the couple's embrarassment.

"Come on, guys." Honeysuckle frowned. "Leave them alone."

"Hon's right." Crab agreed. "It ain't our business if'n those two are datin' or not."

"Thanks for the back-up, Crab." Honeysuckle smiled.

"No problem." Crab smiled back.

It may have been a trick of the light, but Dusk could have sworn Crab's face had turned a deeper red then usual.

"Let's grab something to go, and leave them to it." Honeysuckle suggested.

"Sure..." Thunder and Rainbow reluctantly agreed.

After buying some confections from behind the counter, Dusk's friends respectfully left, Purple waving at the couple as they did.

"Alone at last." Dazzle smiled.

"Yep." Dusk smiled back. "Now, where were we?"

"We were right... here." Dazzle snuggled up to Dusk.

"So we were." Dusk chuckled, putting his foreleg around Dazzle again. He caught the scent of raspberries emanating from her mane. Dusk couldn't imagine a more intoxicating aroma.

The young lovebirds sat together for some time. As the sky began to darken, they realised they had to return home for dinner. Dusk offered to walk Dazzle home, an offer she gladly accepted. As they reached Carousel Boutique, they stopped outside the front door.

"All in all, not a bad first date, huh?" Dusk asked.

"True." Dazzle nodded. "We'll have to see if we can make our second date even more memorable."

Dazzle planted a warm kiss on Dusk's cheek.

"Yeah." Dusk mumbled, stroking his cheek. "We will."

"Goodnight." Dazzle said huskily, fluttering her eyelashes.

"Night." Dusk mumbled.

Once Dazzle went inside, Dusk headed for home, possessing a spring in his step like never before. Not even the knowledge that his friends and family would no doubt relentlessly grill him for the details of his first date could lower his mood. He had reached another milestone in a young stallion's life: His first marefriend. He was glad he had taken that chance, and had discovered that Dazzle shared his feelings. He couldn't be sure if their relationship would last forever, but he was definitely going to enjoy every moment of it.