• Published 9th Aug 2013
  • 1,553 Views, 29 Comments

The First Five - Epimetheus



Five friends marched single file into the forest, leaving their cars behind. None of the five thought for a moment that they’d never seen their cars and homes again. They had no reason to think that this trip would be any different.

  • ...
5
 29
 1,553

Chapter 15: Panic Attacks, Politics, and Exercising More Than Your Rights

The day before Spike returned to the library, Thomas called Twilight down to the basement. He was sitting at one of her tables where she would run her experiments, but it had been cleared of equipment and instead there was a small stack of papers.

“You called?” She kept her eyes on the papers on the desk.

“Yes, I’ve finished the essay we discussed last week.” He sounded a little proud, like a father talking about something his colt had done. Twilight was a little surprised.

“In only a week?” She asked dubiously.

“Well, most of the ideas here were already thought of in my country, but I didn’t plagiarize them. They are similar, but not word for word and I had to change something’s to better fit Equestria.”

“And your pen name? You chose the pseudonym ‘Liberal Thought’?” The name fit well with the essay, which she gleaned through with her magic. And it did sound like a name a philosophical pony might have.

“Well, that’s what this essay is based in. And I thought it sounded a little pony like.” Thomas smiled as he said the last line, causing the lavender unicorn to look at her friend with a raised eyebrow. Shaking her head at the human, Twilight put the papers in order and stated rather curiously

“How are you planning on having this published? I don’t mean to sound inconsiderate, but having it published here is not the best idea.” Thomas nodded in agreement.

“I was rather hoping you could send it to Celestia, like you do your letters. I was thinking she could have it discreetly published in Canterlot, where it would be received better.” The idea struck Twilight as, well, perfect. It would provide anonymity, with no one connecting it to Ponyville, the princess being able to uphold a façade of ignorance if it was discovered that the essay had originated in the castle and Canterlot was the center for this type of debate, it was widely assumed that Leviathan himself lived there.

“That could work…” She said tentatively. “I’ll send her a letter asking if she would be willing to publish this for you when Spike’s better.” Thomas nodded his thanks, since his scars still made him look demonic when smiling. The two discussed the finer points of the work, editing and improving the essay as they did, and Twilight compared some of Thomas’s to Leviathan’s trying to anticipate how they would interact. She didn’t foresee anything more than a rather intriguing philosophical debate between educated ponies. When she vocalized these thoughts, Thomas laughed.

“That’s not going to happen.” He responded bluntly. “Ponies who fancy themselves educated are going to read this, misinterpret it, and howl until they’re blue in the face about how it’s true.” Twilight gave him a surprised look, prompting the human to explain similar situations on Earth where people had misinterpreted information or theory and caused severe damage to the people in the case of ‘idealistic’ societies. Especially in the instance of the French Revolution(s).

"Well, ponies aren’t like humans in every respect.” Twilight countered. “You don’t have immortal rulers, magic, or other intelligent species on your planet, and all of these things definitely influence us.” Her reasoning was sound. There was no way to predict how all of humanity, with its religions, philosophy’s, politics, and preconceptions would take to having magic, intelligence, and immortality thrown at them. This may have made ponies more receptive and accepting of ideas and creatures than Thomas was anticipating.

“Well, if anything it makes it more unlikely.” He said slowly, getting a nod of agreement from Twilight. “But don’t be too surprised if someponies completely get it wrong ok?” He gave her a sincere look, wanting to get his point across. Twilight nodded again, more to placate him than actually thinking anypony could misunderstand what Thomas had so clearly written.

One month later and the second ‘whammy’

Most of the humans were doing well in Ponyville. Rachael and Megan were helping Fluttershy take care of her animals and the pets of Ponyville residents. Opalescence for some reason bonded rather quickly to Megan, constantly rubbing against her legs and sitting in her lap every chance she got. Megan wasn’t much of a cat person initially, but the finicky feline was slowly growing on her

Marcus and Taylor were enjoying their time at Sweet Apple Acres just as much. The two were still keeping their relationship quiet, both wanting to see how it went before telling anyone else, and loved the simple life of the farm. The early mornings had not been Taylor’s favorite initially, scowling perpetually even after she’d had her morning coffee, but they’d slowly gotten better for her, especially since Granny Smith made a wicked cup of coffee, especially during cider season. Marcus and Big Mac were good friends, bonding during their silent exchanges that puzzled Applejack to no end. The pair would be seen working in the fields together, silently nodding or shrugging to the other over words the mare couldn’t hear or see them say. In reality they were just messing with her and discussed apples, the weather, and other casual topics when she wasn’t around.

Thomas was dealing with a panicking Twilight, as his political essay had done exactly what he said it would. Princess Celestia had happily agreed to publish it for him, commenting on how ponies needed to realize that Equestria wasn’t really an absolutist diarchy and opened up an account for Thomas at the Equestria National Bank for the bits he made. The protégé had read the newspaper that morning to find that there were demonstrations in Manehatten, Baltimare, and Vanhoover about having a more representative local government and in one case that call to remove titles by a radical named Rabble Rouser.

Once she’d read this, Twilight bolted back to the library, leaving the paper at the stand, and started to freak out in the usual manner; pacing around the library, clutching her head in panic, crying, and saying things like ‘I’ve disappointed the Princess’ and ‘She’ll send me to the moon.’ Spike rolled his eyes and went to get Thomas from the basement after flipping the sign from Open to Closed and drawing the blinds.

“She does this how often?” Thomas asked incredulously, following Spike up the stairs from his room.

“About once a month or so.” He answered with a nonchalant shrug.

“That’s not healthy.” Thomas said slowly, his concern growing.

“It is for her. The last time she went over a month without panicking, she ended up casting a ‘Want it, Need it’ spell on an old doll of hers and caused the town to descend into chaos.” He explained. Thomas was not convinced and upon seeing how Twilight was acting, decided that she definitely had OCD and possibly PTSD from her numerous adventures. Unfortunately, she spotted him about the same time.

“YOU?!” She screamed, pointing a hoof at the pair.

“Me?” Spike asked nervously, hoping she was pointing behind him.

“No! The human!” Her eyes were wide with terror and anger, hoof now shaking violently. “He’s the one to blame!” Then a creepy smile spread across her face.

“Um…” Thomas said, unsure of what to do. Twilight devolved into babbling, seemingly relieved, and curled up into a ball on the floor, rocking back and forth.

“Celestia will blame him, not me!” She muttered to herself. “She’ll send him to the moon, not me.” Spike sighed and went into the kitchen as Thomas stood there, wide eyes taking in the scene before him. “I’m free!” She exclaimed with a squeal. “I’m free!” She threw her hooves in the air as she giggled, no longer rocking. “The Princess will banish him to the moon and say he failed her. Not me!” Spike returned carrying a pitcher of ice water and sighed at the sight of the mare. He walked up to her calmly and tapped her on the shoulder.

“Spike! I need…” Twilight was cut off by a gallon of freezing water dumped on her head as the dragon overturned the pitcher on her. Once that was done, he walked back into the kitchen to get a towel.

“Thanks.” Twilight murmured sarcastically. Spike had started to add more ice as the break downs continued in the hopes of discouraging her, but it wasn’t working so far. Thomas stood with his feet rooted to the floor, horrified at what the mare was susceptible to do. “Sorry you had to see that.” Twilight said sincerely, standing up and taking the towel from Spike.

“Yeah, this one seemed to be a lot worse than usual.” Spike observed. “Usually she just starts breathing rapidly and rambles about something related to what she’s reading.” Twilight scrubbed her mane dry and moped up the floor before she explained what had set her off.

“Twilight, don’t ponies have the rights to assemble and petition?” Thomas asked, still concerned over her behavior.

“Well of course they do.” She said with a sigh, nodding. “It’s just that this one guy called for the abolishment of titles and that demonstration got out of hoof.”

“So why are you panicking over that one instance?” He asked curiously, still standing in the doorway. Twilight levitated the towel into the laundry room upstairs as she explained her thought process.

“I was thinking in the long run. What you said is coming true, and if more ponies take after this guy Rabble Rouser, then we’ll have some big issues on our hooves.” Thomas waved off the comment and leaned against the door frame, arms folded.

“Your Princesses will be able to handle it. I’m sure they’d welcome reforms that limit the power of the nobility and give commoners a greater voice in how their country is run.” He remarked. Spike nodded in agreement.

“Yeah, Celestia can handle this Twilight.” He assured, heading back upstairs to read his comic books. “Besides, this is Ponyville, what could happen here?” Immediately Twilight and Thomas shot each other worried looks before continuing with their daily tasks.


Twilight felt sweat building on her brow as she examined the object before her. Since Thomas had pulled it out when Spike had attacked him, the knife had been on Twilight’s radar. Of the items brought by the humans, it was the only one that shared their resistance to magic, except to a much higher degree. Twilight could not grab, levitate, or otherwise touch the blade of the weapon and had to maneuver it by its grip or hilt.

Even when she tried to compare it to the potion Zecora made for Spike it yielded no results. The blade repelled direct magical interference and seemed to extend the field somewhat. If it was lodged in the table, the table took twice as much effort to lift. The potion just absorbed any magic that it came in contact with. They operated on opposite ends of whatever spectrum it was that treated magic in such a fashion.

Using her hoof to wipe her brow, the unicorn took a moment to stretch her muscles. A few hours had passed since her panic attack and in her mind she had used them well, striving to understand humans and their world. Thomas had been of help, although he was more focused on a possible sequel to his essay that would clarify things for ponies. At that moment, there was a knock from downstairs.

“IT’S A PUBLIC LIBRARY!” She shouted, irritated that so many ponies forgot that. Namely all of them other than Rainbow Dash, who preferred the window. Again, there was a knock. Sighing, she looked over to Spike, who was curled up in his basket snoring through the situation. With another sigh she got up from her desk and begrudgingly trotted down to the library door.

“Can I help you?” The librarian asked, plastering on a smile. She was greeted by another, wider, creepier smile.

“Hello! Do you have time to discuss the goddesses?” A cheery voice inquired. Twilight’s smile became a look of confusion as she examined the crème coated stallion before her. His mane was slicked back with gel, and he was wearing a dress shirt and black neck tie.

“Um… what do you mean?” Twilight asked tentatively.

“Well, don’t you think it’s strange that two, all powerful goddesses feel the need to rule a country?” The slick pony began, furrowing his brow for added effect. “Why not let ponies have a government with ponies in charge and monitor the planet as a whole?” Twilight immediately pegged him as a radical petitioner and felt her ire grow.

“Look, you obviously don’t know me very well, so I’ll go easy on you.” She retorted, making his smile falter. “Princess Celestia rules Equestria because she was swore to protect the country after she and Princess Luna defeated Discord. And the reason she still does is because ponies as a whole refuse to let her leave. Good Day.” Her magic swiftly shut the door with little noise and she trotted back towards the stairs. Just as she was about to ascend though, there was another knock. Turning sharply, Twilight bore down on the poor soul behind the noise with a furrowed brow, grit teeth, and her veins nearly bursting out.

“Yes?” She asked tersely, expecting the same pony.

“Is this a bad time?” The resident clockmaker asked nervously, seeing her obvious spite.

“Um, no. I thought you were someo…pony, else.” Twilight answered, immediately regretting her attitude. She ushered the stallion in and did her best to calm herself. As she did so the stallion perused the library with mild interest, waiting for her to collect herself without judgment.

“So, what can I do for you?” She said after a few moments of breathing exercises. Clockwork made his way over to the table at the center of the room and reached behind him. She now noticed his saddlebags and felt her stomach drop as he pulled out a clipboard. He set it next to the wooden head as the librarian approached.

“What’s the petition for?” Twilight asked Clockwork curiously. The watchmaker reached into his saddlebags once again and pulled out a pen and an all too familiar booklet.

“It’s to set up a town council for Ponyville.” He answered, placing the items next to Twilight on the table. “The idea is to make the citizens of Ponyville more central in the running of our town and open up the government to make it more responsible.” Twilight fought the urge to twitch and kept a steady gaze on the stallion.

“Let me guess, you got the idea from Liberal Thought’s book didn’t it?” She asked rhetorically, already knowing the answer. Clockwork nodded fervently.

“It’s a great read.” He pressed, opening it and flipping through the pages. “He describes the political theory that founded the pre-Equestrian Earthpony Republic in great detail and then applies it today.” Twilight nodded, remembering that part of the book. The stallion took this as a sign to continue. “Like how the current Parliament is based more on their body of government than the one from the old unicorn kingdom and the he goes onto comment on how the concept of government came about when a society either decided it wanted one or it was imposed upon them by another.”

“I know.” She interrupted before he could go further. “I’ve read it.” The stallion proceeded to beam at her.

“Of course you must have, being who you are!” He exclaimed. “So, will you sign the petition?” He pushed it towards her, eagerly hoping he could get his tenth signature. Twilight reviewed the petition slowly and deliberately before looking to Clockwork.

“What would happen to Mayor Mare?” She asked curiously. The stallion was slightly surprised at the question and hesitated before answering. He shifted his weight as he answered, telling Twilight he wasn’t overly confident in his explanation.

“Well, if this petition makes it through everything then that position would become moot I guess.” He said nervously before continuing. “She’d be free to run as a council member though.” Twilight nodded slowly and continued to examine the petition.

“What’s wrong with how Mayor Mare is running things?” She asked, setting the petition down. Clockwork had been prepared for more questions than usual from the librarian, but he wasn’t expecting any of this caliber. He hesitated, trying to find an intelligent response.

“Well nothing really.” He admitted. “She’s done a great job, but I believe that town council would be best for Ponyville.” Twilight found this a respectable position, but was still hesitant about signing.

“Would it take effect immediately?” She inquired, earning a shrug.

“Probably not. I’d imagine the town would let her finish out her term in office and use the intervening time to start setting up the council for an easy…” He raised a hoof to his chin, struggling for the right word to use to describe the situation.

“Transfer of power?” Twilight offered. He nodded.

“Yes, that.”

“Well, I thank you for thinking of me, but I’m a bit undecided on the issue.” Twilight said, pushing the clipboard back towards the stallion. He frowned slightly, disappointed in not getting her influential signature on the petition but accepted defeat gracefully.

“Of course, it is a hard decision.” He agreed, putting away his things. Twilight walked him to the door and held it for him before returning upstairs to study the knife, going over what had just happened. She barely paid any attention to it as she thought about the repercussions of the petition on Ponyville, namely how a town council might possibly be more likely to discover the human presence in town by checking in on Sweet Apple Acres more often than the Mayor did, which was never. Spike arose with a yawn and slowly made his way down stairs to make lunch. Twilight looked at the same spot on her desk until he called her down, careful not to step in the path of any magical testing. As she came down the stairs, absent mindedly focused on the knife, Twilight failed to notice Rarity’s presence until she bumped into her.

“Oh!” She exclaimed, rubbing her nose. “Sorry about that, I was lost in thought.”

“Quite all right. I too was distracted.” Rarity answered, nodding to Spike. “I was just telling him what I’m here to tell you.” Curiosity piqued, Twilight forgot about the knife.

“And that is?” She asked.

“It seems dear Clockwork, you know the clockmaker?” Twilight nodded. “Well, it seems that he’s going around getting signatures on a petition to install a town council here in Ponyville!” Rarity explained, slightly aghast.

“Yeah, he came by here earlier and tried to get me to sign it.” The purple unicorn said, getting a gasp from Rarity.

“Did you?!” She asked fervently. Twilight shook her head, causing Rarity to smile. “Good. Because that petition has caused a row over at the town hall, because Jurisprudence did sign it!” Jurisprudence is the town judge, running Ponyville’s courthouse; three rooms in the town hall, with a clerk and a single prosecutor who works a second job at Vinyl’s nightclub as a janitor. With a deep navy coat, black mane, and a healthy physique, the thirty seven year old unicorn stallion wasn’t undesirable to many of the mares in town. He held on to bachelor hood simply because he hadn’t decided he wanted to stop being one yet. Jurisprudence was also known for being a bit provocative in his beliefs on the judicial system and politics.

“He did what?!” Twilight exclaimed, gaping at her friend. Rarity nodded intently, her brow furrowed.

“And not only that, but he’s saying that if anypony tried to sue to keep the mayor, he’d immediately throw the case out because nowhere in the town charter does it say we can’t have a town council.” She added. Twilight groaned, annoyed at how events seemed to be playing out.

“The last thing we need is for what’s happening in the rest of Equestria to happen here.” She said, getting a nod of agreement from her friend. “I’m going to head down to the town hall and see if I can do anything. I’ll have lunch when I get back Spike.” The dragon nodded absentmindedly, focused on the fashionista before him. Rarity offered to stay and keep an eye on the library for her, much to the young dragon’s delight. Thanking her, Twilight left and quickly made her way through the streets of Ponyville to the town hall, hoping that she wouldn’t arrive to find the judge had done anything drastic.

She wasn’t expecting to find almost no ponies present at the town hall except for four, three stallions and a mare. The latter was obviously Mayor Mare, and she seemed to be in a somewhat heated argument with Clockwork and Jurisprudence while Lantern Light, a jet black unicorn who headed the town guard, watched on. As she got closer, they became audible.

“I’m telling you, this type of thing can’t be decided on by a petition!” Mayor Mare said adamantly, stamping her hoof.

“And why not huh?” Lantern Light asked, joining in.

“Because for a petition to be considered, it only needs 60 signatures, and this is talking about a change in local government!” She explained, exasperated. “That needs to be put on a ballot so everypony can vote on it since there are 200 ponies in town!”

But the next voting cycle is a year away!” Clockwork complained. He seemed to have gotten a little more radical since he’d visited Twilight, and this only confirmed her worries.

“And that’ll forestall it just long enough for it to lose support.” Jurisprudence added with a severe tone.

“Not if you run a proper campaign for the issue.” Twilight responded, getting their attention as she climbed the steps. Mayor Mare smiled at having somepony on her side while the stallions frowned it varying degrees.

“Miss Sparkle.” Jurisprudence greeted with a polite nod. She nodded back before continuing.

“And besides, if the ponies of this town really want a town council then it won’t matter that it would be voted on in a year.” Lantern Light rolled his eyes.

“Right.” He remarked sarcastically. The librarian shot his a dark look, but didn’t speak.

“Look, I get this is an important issue right now, with Liberal Thought’s essay having caused such a stir.” Mayor Mare said, looking to the three stallions. “But right now we can’t vote on it because by the time the ballots were printed and dispersed it would be time for the regular vote, and a petition won’t cover the issue fully.” Jurisprudence grudgingly agreed with her while Clockwork and Lantern Light stayed silent.

“So we need another way to handle this.” Twilight added, thinking hard on a solution. The navy coated stallion smiled lightly as an idea came to him.

“What about a debate?” He suggested. “You and the Mayor between Lantern Light and me.” Silence followed as those present thought over the idea. For Twilight, it was one of the better options for handling the situation before it got out of hoof.

“Wait, why doesn’t Clockwork debate since it was his idea?” She questioned, looking to the clock maker.

“Because he isn’t holding or running for a public office.” The judge answered neutrally.

“And I am?” Twilight asked, confused. There was a chorus of nods.

“Yup, the town librarian is selected by the mayor.” Mayor Mare explained. “The former librarian retired a few months before you got here and nopony else wanted the position.” Slightly disappointed in the town as a whole, Twilight nodded in understanding and looked to see if the others agreed.

“So, a debate it is?” The stallions agreed, Lantern Light slightly annoyed at having to participate and Clockwork eagerly because his petition was getting so much attention.

“When is it taking place?” He asked excitedly.

“Well, today’s Sunday…” Mayor Mare said slowly, scratching her chin in thought. “So how about Thursday? That’ll allow enough time to spread the word and organize it.”

“Sounds good.” Jurisprudence turned to the others. “What about you two?”

“Thursday’s fine.” Lantern Light answered with a sigh.

“Works for me!” Clockwork exclaimed, a wide smile on his face. The issue having been decided, the group of five split apart based on their stances, the pro-council side heading towards the farmer’s market and the pro-mayor team staying on the porch of the town hall.

“So, I guess we’ll have to start preparing for the debate.” Twilight remarked, looking to the mayor who simply nodded.

“I’ll get an aid and an intern to start organizing it.” She answered before turning to go inside. “See you Thursday Miss Sparkle.” Figuring the mayor wanted to do her own research, Twilight said goodbye and made her way back to the library, slightly peeved at Rarity for making the situation sound a lot worse than it was.


The day of the political day gave Ponyville a climactic paradox. News about demonstrations in neighboring towns and the big cities had sparked greater interest in the townsfolk and more ponies were picking sides, obvious tension between them rising over the past few days and permeating the air, but a carnival like atmosphere had sprang up as ponies moved their stalls from the market and over to the town hall to sell their goods.

The Apple Family had set up a dunk tank and other fun games to distract the fillies and colts while their parents attended the debate. It promised to be an exciting affair, since Twilight Sparkle and Mayor Mare were going to go head to head with Jurisprudence and Lantern Light. Collectively every pony in local government would be there and the four debating were considered the smartest ponies in town, even if Lantern Light could get a little hot headed. In fact, the other two ponies who worked in local government, Rainbow Dash of the Weather Management Office and Ms. Cheerliee of Ponyville School District, were moderating the debate.

As the crowd filed in, Twilight found herself waiting in the wings and in a small room with Mayor Mare. The pair were readying themselves for what was to come, Twilight going over extensive notes on how towns with town councils operated their economies, schools, and weather in comparison to towns without them, and the mayor by slowly drinking from a water bottle with her eyes shut.

“Twilight Sparkle, just relax.” Mayor Mare advised, opening one eyelid halfway. Twilight gave her an exasperated look.

“How can you be so calm?! Your job is on the line, the future of Ponyville is at hoof, and if things aren’t handled right we could have a riot!” She explained hastily, earning a smirk from the mayor. Twilight had spent the past four days, counting Sunday, reading every book on political theory and the difference between town councils and mayors before looking into the demographics of Ponyville and had prepared a dissertation on how and why the city needed a mayor.

“Because political debates are much calmer when it isn’t election season.” Twilight gave her a quizzical look. “These ponies are only here because they think it’ll be exciting, scandalous, and front page news tomorrow.”

“Won’t it?” Twilight asked seriously. Mayor Mare laughed.

“Heaven’s no!” She giggled. “Maybe the first few questions, but then it’ll end up being technical, so-so, and unclear. Nothing concrete will be admitted by both sides and the fervor will die out as they realize they should be in the carnival outside.”

“But… this is important.” Twilight retorted softly. “The difference between a mayor and a town council is…”

“Absolutely nothing to these ponies.” Mayor Mare interrupted. Her tone shifted from light hearted to rather cold. “Regardless of who is in charge, things will go on as they always have. If three ponies are in charge, nopony will care. If a griffon is, they’ll care for the first month or so. If Pinkie is, they’ll get used to it.” Twilight was shocked by her blunt, down trodden outlook on the character of the town. Ponyville was vibrant, exciting! You didn’t know what was going to happen from one day to the next.

“I know what you’re thinking, and that’s because you’re an Element of Harmony.” The mayor interjected. “You are called on to do exciting things at least once a month, while most ponies only read about those events the next day before going to work for eight hours.” Before Twilight could respond, one of the mayors’ numerous aids opened the door.

“You’re up ma’am’s.” They said sharply, holding the door for them. The pair stepped out of the room and towards their table. The town hall was the only venue in town where the debates were legally allowed to happen and had been built accordingly. When you walked inside, you found yourself in a large area surrounded by a raised platform in front and blank walls on either side. A small flight of stairs led up to the platform, where three tables were set up, each with two chairs. The middle table was closer to the stairs than the wall while the other two were pushed further back and at an angle, giving those who sat at them a view of the entire room other than their competitors without having to turn their heads. The large area was filled with ponies in seats and in the table in the middle was occupied by an annoyed Rainbow Dash and smiling Ms. Cheerilee. As they approached their table she heard the crowd grow quieter, but still murmur audily.

Twilight recognized Jurisprudence and Lantern Light as they took their seats at the table to the right of the crowd, both smiling politely. She and Mayor Mare seated themselves in the appropriate table and looked out over the ponies present. Twilight was unable to find her friends quickly and had only spotted Rarity in the middle of the crowd before Mayor Mare drew her attention to the moderators.

"Ya’ll know why we’re here,” Rainbow Dash lazily addressed them and the crowd as she spoke into a mic given to her and Ms. Cheerilee. Oddly enough, the actual ponies debating didn’t have them.

“So let’s have a clean debate.” Ms. Cheerilee finished warmly. Both sides nodded and readied themselves.

“Right, let’s begin.” The pegasus said, straightening the papers on her shared desk with Cheerliee. The school teacher nodded and cleared her throat.

“So, the first question is for Mayor Mare.” She said into the mic. Mayor Mare straightened her glasses and nodded, leaning forward against the table.

“Why did you ask a private citizen to provide funds to repair city property?” Ms. Cheerilee asked neutrally, garnering a complete hush from the crowd. Looking across the platform, Twilight saw Lantern Light smirk.

“I didn’t.” Mayor Mare answered simply, knowing exactly what the question was referencing. “Ms. Applejack graciously offered to use her winnings to pay for the damage to the roof of Town Hall.” In the crowd Ditzy Doo shuffled uncomfortably as the memory was brought to everypony’s attention once again.

“I would like to point out that it was at your prompting.” Lantern Light said into the mic. His slimy voice sent shivers down Twilight’s spine and she had the urge to check if he was a changeling. “We all saw how you pulled Applejack aside before giving the sendoff speech and had a hushed conversation with her.”

“I was only wishing her good luck in the competition and telling her that Ponyville was proud of her.” Mayor Mare retorted, keeping her gaze on Rainbow Dash and Ms. Cheerilee. There was a silence as the ponies in the crowd waited for another comment from the two stallions, but none came, prompting the next question.

“This one is for Jurisprudence.” Rainbow Dash said, looking over the paper before her. “How would a town council handle the work that it currently takes a single mare to do and what would make a council desirable to Ponyville’s day to day functions?” The judge smiled at the question and answered with an even tone.

“Well, in actuality the day to day running of Ponyville isn’t left up to the mayor herself.” He explained, using his hooves to enunciate his words. “Her deputies and assistants screen for issues that are either over their skill level, affect lots of ponies, or require her approval and send those to her. Otherwise they make a decision they feel is best and enact it.” There was a low murmur from the crowd as this new information came to light and a number of sharp looks were shot towards the Mayor, who took them in stride.

“And as for how a town council would affect the day to day running of the town, it would depend on the structure of the council and town government.” He said, continuing once the crowd had finished. “In many ways it would function in a similar fashion, but the power would be divided between the council members. Instead of one pony deciding issues without oversight, the representatives would have to work together to pass laws and taxes.” Twilight saw some nods of approval from ponies in the crowd, but there were also some dubious looks as well. She decided it was time to speak up.

“Who says there isn’t oversight?” The mare asked curiously. “Mayor Mare has oversight from her neighbors, coworkers, and the citizens of Ponyville.”

“He means from superiors.” Lantern Light said with a smarmy look.

“But she’s the mayor. The whole point is there isn’t someone superior to her.” Twilight retorted, earning a few smirks and snickers from her supporters. Lantern Light glared at her, but bit his tongue.

“I understand what you mean Ms. Sparkle, but what I mean is that nopony checks her work before it starts affecting ponies.” Jurisprudence clarified in a polite tone.

“Actually, they do.” Twilight responded, quickly rattling off a number of examples. “Rainbow Dash consistently meets with Mayor Mare to discuss the Weather Management Office and the weather. The Ponyville Business Group does as well, and Ms. Cheerilee runs Ponyville School District by herself and Mayor Mare consults with her on any legislation that could affect it.”

“And if she decided not to?” He asked casually. “Before she took office, and before you came to town, we had a Mayor Money Trail. He ignored the recommendations of those around him and ran the town as he saw fit. In fact, he embezzled 50,000 bits from the treasury before he was caught.” A majority of ponies shifted uncomfortably at the mention of the former mayor’s name, and silence ensued. Twilight saw Rainbow Dash’s face turn stone hard and Ms. Cheerilee blushed profusely, obviously uncomfortable.

“And that’s my point. If a mayor decides to ignore ponies, nopony can stop him until the next election, a three year period, or he breaks the law.” He continued, pressing through the tension. “And a town council would have less power in one position and more evenly distributed to block such abuse of privilege.”

“And how many mayors has Ponyville had since it was founded?” Mayor Mare asked, speaking up. Twilight was only too happy to answer.

“Counting you, there have been 33 mayors in Ponyville’s history, many serving without incident.”

“And how many have abused their power?” Mayor Mare continued, looking out over the crowd. That number was unknown to Twilight, but a high pitched voice called out from the audience.

“3!” The voice exclaimed. Everypony in the audience turned in the direction of the voice. Its owner was little Featherweight, who was sitting between his proud and embarrassed parents. “Right Ms. Cheerilee?” He asked, oblivious to the attention. Every pair of eyes turned to the teacher, who blushed profusely.

“Yes Featherweight, there have been three.” She confirmed with a smile. “Money Trail, Fat Cat, and… Small Bills.” Ponies nodded in understanding, but kept their gaze on Ms. Cheerilee. “What? We did a History of Ponyville week.” The mare defended before turning to the papers before and focusing on a question that would distract the audience.

“Ms. Twilight, would town councils be less efficient than a mayor in handling issues?” She asked quickly. Twilight made a so-so motion with her hoof.

“It depends really.” She answered truthfully.

“On what?” Rainbow asked, reclining in her chair.

“Well, on the dynamic of the council members, the issue at hoof, how the council is organized, if there’s a crisis, how complex the politics are between the council and other organizations, and how big the council’s schedule is.” Twilight explained calmly. And the debate remained this way for the better part of two hours; civil and technical. Just as Mayor Mare predicted, it remained bland and anything but concrete with Twilight and Mayor Mare refuting claims and answering questions with ease while Jurisprudence and Lantern Light did the same. But as they progressed, Twilight noticed that every time the head of the Town Guard made a snide remark, more ponies would snicker and fewer would look indignant.

“I think we’re losing the crowd.” She whispered to Mayor Mare inconspicuously. The mayor didn’t react overtly, but whispered through her teeth back.

“You aren’t a politician.” She observed. “It’s been this way since the very beginning. But I’ve got a plan.” Twilight refocused on the debate, her worries somewhat abated by the older mare’s assurances. Focusing back on the crowd, she could tell by the indiscriminate snorts and faint, but rare, snores that their interest in what was being said was diminishing rapidly and anything being said was lost to them. Jurisprudence answered the final question and Rainbow Dash was about to close the debate, looking like she wanted to be asleep as well, but Mayor Mare interrupted her efforts.

“Ponies, I would like to say one thing before the conclusion of this debate.” Mayor Mare said, standing up and focusing attention on her and Twilight. The sleeping ponies were nudged awake and the snorting stopped as the crowd gave her its rapt attention. “I have thoroughly loved my time as mayor of this town, and I hope you have at least liked having me be the mayor. Ponyville is unlike any other place in Equestria, as I’m sure you all know very well. All the ponies in Bedlam, Trottingham have nothing on Pinkie Pie.”

“Yay! I’m unique!” The excited mare interrupted, abruptly descending from the rafters in her spy outfit before slowly going back up. She was watched cautiously for a few moments before everypony listened to the mayor. Lantern Light focused on Pinkie, leaning on the table before him as he tried to discern how she’d gotten up there.

“And nowhere else is there a dragon working in a living tree library.” Mayor Mare continued, keeping her stride. “As mayor, I’ve watched Ponyville handle one crisis after another, from the drought three years ago to the economic down turn after the reappearance of the Crystal Empire and everything in between. And they were handled quickly and decisively by my office. A town council is unable to provide the quick executive decisions I am empowered to do, and while I understand how that can be a double edged sword at times, it allows us, the citizens of Ponyville and Equestria, to put our faith in somepony else to make the tough decisions we need them to make. And if you find me unworthy of your faith, your trust, I encourage you to vote me out of office next year when I fully intend to run again. It’s your town, run it the way you want it.” When she finished her speech, Mayor Mare seated herself and looked to Rainbow Dash and Cheerilee for them to close the debate. But before they could, the citizens of Ponyville began to stamp their hooves slightly louder than what would be necessary for it to be polite, telling Twilight it was sincere.

“Thank you Mayor Mare for that thoughtful conclusion to the debate.” Ms. Cheerilee said warmly. Mayor Mare nodded in return, smiling. At this, the crowd slowly got up to leave as the two teams shook hooves and congratulated one another on a fine debate. The two stallions stepped off the platform first and disappeared with the crowd. Twilight stopped the mayor just before she did the same and asked about her last speech. She had been slightly surprised at her final statement and how it could be used to support the other side.

“Politics is a mix of kissing and kicking the right amount of flank to get things done.” Mayor Mare remarked quietly to Twilight, smiling at her slightly wider eyes. “It isn’t all reforms and bully pulpits.” With this new information, the young librarian bid farewell to her debater partner and walked out with the crowd. Rainbow accompanied her and while others congratulated the mare for her comments and answers, the pegasus only wanted to get outside and fly.
The carnival was wrapping up by the time the pair stepped onto the dirt roads of Ponyville, the Apple Family busily disassembling their stalls as the other ponies who’d sold wares hitched up their carts and left.

“Ah take it ya’ll won?” Appleack asked, draining the dunk tank. A shivering Big Mac was wrapped in several towels and refused to comment on the situation. “Don’ mind him, he’s just recuperatin’.”

“Ah.” Twilight responded, feeling a little bit sorry for him. “And it seems like it. Mayor Mare gave a short speech at the end that convinced the town to keep her position around.” Applejack nodded once in support of the older mare and continued her work, Twilight and Rainbow offering assistance. They filled her in on all the details she missed while making money off of ponies who weren’t interested in the goings on of the town while Applejack commented on how well the booths had done. The Apple’s had made a tidy sum from the dunk tank alone, little fillies and colts gleefully sending the massive stallion into the water, as did a number of eligible mares. They also enjoyed watching him shake off the excess water. Rainbow groaned, upset at having missed that repeated scene.

“What?” Rainbow asked, giving a miffed Applejack a confused look. “Hate to break it to ya AJ, but your brother’s hot.” Luckily for the stallion he had finally dried off and was busy in another area out of ear shot or he would have turned a deeper red. Twilight stayed away from that hornets nest but smirked at the exchange. It’s not that Applejack didn’t know her brother was considered desirable by mares, she just wouldn’t prefer to have Rainbow date him. She had enough trouble keeping her out of the apple trees as it was.

It took a full hour for the carnival to be taken down and the wooden boards that comprised it to be properly stowed in several large wagons to be hauled back to Sweet Apple Acres. Big Mac waved off Twilight’s attempts to teleport the wagons back, thanking her for her help before hitching himself up to one and easily pulling it away. Applejack had a little more trouble getting started, but once she got underway the unicorn and pegasus pair realized their help was no longer needed.

“Whelp, say hi to the others for me.” Rainbow said, referring to Spike and Thomas. Twilight nodded as the polychromatic mare prepared for takeoff.

“Same applies to you.” Twilight watched as her friend became a blur in the sky noticeable only because of the trail she left in her wake. Pleased with her efforts during the debate, the librarian trotted back home with a smile on her face. Opening the door to the library, she flipped the open sign to ‘closed’ and turned the blinds. She moved to head down to the basement, but the door opened and Spike popped out, wondering who had entered.

“Oh, how’d the thingy go?” He asked, only mildly interested. Twilight informed him of the day’s proceedings, from the dull beginning to the slightly less dull ending. Thomas appeared behind the dragon, listening intently as she spoke.

“So it was handled quietly then?” Thomas asked.

“Yes, nothing explosive or crisis invoking.” Twilight affirmed before smirking. “How’s it feel to be the one behind all the commotion?” The author made a so-so motion with his hand and shrugged.

“You know, kinda bad and kinda good.” He admitted.

“It seems like a slight disappointment.” Spike observed sagely. “All this commotion about the essay in towns around Ponyville, but here things are handled with a political debate and it sort of fizzles.” Thomas nodded in agreement and leaned against the door frame.

“Yeah, well that’s life. I’m just happy this was handed civilly.” Twilight said with a sigh, reclining on the couch. There was a snigger from Thomas and Spike at her comment.

“Pun intended?” Spike asked, smirking since the answer was obvious in Twilight. She only rolled her eyes and relaxed for a few minutes, preparing for an all-night scientific run down of the knife. The two males slipped into the basement while she did and silence reigned. Not too much later the pair returned, speaking softly to one another. Just as Twilight got off the couch, they stopped.

“Right, Twilight.” Thomas said, turning to the mare. “We are going to do some exercising so that you get to sleep at a reasonable time tonight. No more all-nighters.” The unicorn groaned and looked to Spike. He was already wearing a sweat band and held out one for her, a resolute look on his face that would have made Sylvester Stallone proud. Twilight sagged in defeat and levitated the head gear over.

Author's Note:

So, the day after I posted the last chapter my family went on a camping trip and I lacked the proper internet connection to post the chapter. I do apologize.

Thoughts on chapters, characters, and the story as a whole are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.